PDA

View Full Version : Dash 8 Bump EGNS

Dewdrop
21st Jan 2003, 13:00
From the local radio web site :

A Dash eight aircraft received minor damage in an accident at Ronaldsway yesterday evening.

A luggage carrying vehicle called a Mallaghan collided with the plane shortly after it landed from London City at 8.30pm, and the passengers were coming off.

No one was injured - but he plane was grounded, and the onward bound passengers to Belfast had to be transferred to another plane - draft in to make the ongoing flight.

The Dash 8 aircraft, which is operated by British European, was fit to fly again this morning.

The cause of the accident is currently being investigated by Health and Safety Officers.

Customer Services Manager, Alan Riddiford, says it was an unusual incident:

Konkordski
21st Jan 2003, 15:10
...luggage carrying vehicle called a Mallaghan... :rolleyes:

Think they mean a baggage cart built by Mallaghan Engineering...

Mishandled
21st Jan 2003, 16:17
...........commonly referred to as a Mallaghan, Konkordski:rolleyes: :D Hardly world-shattering news though is it?

timzsta
21st Jan 2003, 18:31
Are incidents of ground handling equipment hitting aircraft on the increase? Had two incidents in the last six months of catering lorry being driven into one of our 737-300's. Both times I believe the lorry was driven into the wing trailing edge causing damage to the aileron (believe the bill in the first case was over £200,000).

JW411
21st Jan 2003, 18:55
Sadly damage to aircraft by ground equipment is all too common. The most spectacular that I ever did see was the centre engine (and I do mean the centre engine) knocked out of a Dan Air 727 at LGW in the 80's by a catering truck!

The engine was lying on the ramp somewhere around Gate 15 if my memory serves me right.

redfield
21st Jan 2003, 19:08
Mistakes happen. Somebody drove the toilet cart into an Air 2000 320 at BRS the other week and got it jammed under the aircraft. S*** happens as well!:D

prob30
21st Jan 2003, 19:49
saw a service truck drive into the tailplane of an atp. bit of gaffer tape and she was right.

Electric Sky
21st Jan 2003, 23:21
Not forgetting the poor old bmi A321 G-MIDF stranded at BHD at present with a very broken starboard elevator after a disagreement with a de-icing rig. She won't be seen airborne for a few weeks to come by all accounts. :(

ES ;)

groundcrew100
21st Jan 2003, 23:22
in the last few years i have been working at MAN have seen quite a few mistakes shall we say...... a JMC 757 on top of a tug near stand 8 i think it was,and a loading belt that took a large slice out the back off an BA ATP....i heard that the aircraft was a total loss. it does'nt help when the workforce is using equipment that in some cases is 20-30 yrs old!!! :eek: :eek:

Cold Soak
22nd Jan 2003, 07:15
......what? the aircraft or the baggage ground equipment :D

Konkordski
22nd Jan 2003, 07:37
commonly referred to as a Mallaghan

Are they really? Well I never. Learn something new every day... :D

Thanks, Mishandled

Pilot Pete
22nd Jan 2003, 09:20
a JMC 757 on top of a tug near stand 8 i think it was,

Come on guys, be fair, that was due to the pilot mounting :eek: the tug, not the tug driver hitting the a/c!!

PP

FL245
22nd Jan 2003, 14:18
loading belt that took a large slice out the back off an BA ATP....i heard that the aircraft was a total loss

Nope !! its in the air again...

Tacit Blue
22nd Jan 2003, 14:48
What?The aircraft or the baggage ground equipment. :rolleyes:

JPjoystick
23rd Jan 2003, 00:48
groundcrew100
Just another number

...,and a loading belt that took a large slice out the back off an BA ATP....i heard that the aircraft was a total loss. ...

If that`s the one from a few months back,the aircraft concerned was unwell for a few months,but did go back online.....no gaffer tape needed on that repair:D .
The rear end did look like a very large can opener had attacked it
I think most of us will have minor or major run ins with ground vehicles at some point.Sometimes it`s like being in a giant skittle and watching to see which vehicle is taking aim at you:eek: