PDA

View Full Version : PPL + night qualification

FRIDAY
16th Jan 2003, 23:02
Small query people.
I finally got my PPL license in the post today with an IMC rating on it, however I have also done a night "rating" or qualification I believe it to be. However since its not a rating,rather a qualification is it excluded from the license. There is absolutely no mention of it that I can find in the license even though I paid the cash for it. Therefore the only proof I have is in the logbook.Has there been a error somewhere or is this the norm????:confused:

expedite_climb
17th Jan 2003, 08:15
Hmmm, I cant check mine as commercial licenses don't print Night as it is priveldge of the license. A ppl should however have Night on it. It, AFIAR was just "Night" though....

spils
17th Jan 2003, 08:24
I found this when my license was issued - however it should be there somewhere in the small print (on the back) stating something along the lines of "the holder is entitled to use the priviliges of this license at night".

Before seeing the license, I would have thought that it would be boldly stated somewhere - but nevermind.

GT
17th Jan 2003, 09:31
Isn't it that there is a 'no night flying' restriction which is simply removed? Just a thought - can't remember.

Regards, GT.

expedite_climb
17th Jan 2003, 09:47
GT, I think that is how the instructor ratings are done not the PPL. Mind you I havent seen a JAR PPL.

FlyingForFun
17th Jan 2003, 09:55
I don't have my license in front of me, so I can't give you the exact text, or the section numbers.

The "vanilla" JAR PPL does not mention night flying at all.

When you get your night qualification, the CAA send you a replacement for one particular page. The page looks absolutely identical, and it's only when you compare it word-for-word with the old one that you realise they've added the sentence "the holder of the license may exercise the privileges of the license at night" at the end of one of the sections of the license - pretty much as spils describes.

It will probably be a while before I have my license in front of me at the same time as being in front of a computer, but if no one else has found the information before then, I'll try to remember to post the details of exactly which section contains that text.

FFF
----------------

GJB
17th Jan 2003, 10:16
This happened to me too, after applying for IMC rating to be added. New licence, no mention of 'Night' in ratings.

By the way, I'm an old school PPL and not a JAR PPL.

I've taken it up with the FCL @ CAA.

phnuff
17th Jan 2003, 10:32
Just checked my old CAA license and not a mention of night. I seem to recall my instructor at the time signing my logbook and that was it. (Wow that was in 1991)

spils
17th Jan 2003, 10:44
whilst we are on the topic of night flying - i got my PPL and night qual over in the states last year and since returning have not used my night rating at all. this is mainly due to the fact that the airbase i fly from does not permit night flying for civvies.

are there many places around that allow night flying as i really enjoyed it at the time??

FREDA
17th Jan 2003, 11:10
i got my JAR PPL with night rating over the summer as well. wasnt at the lovely OBA was it spils?
as for the night rating on the license, it does just say " the holder of this license may exercise the privileges at night" as mentioned before

spils
17th Jan 2003, 11:25
FREDA - i trained just down the road (in american terms) at Britannia Flight Centre in Winter Haven, which since my return to the UK has had to close following the increased visa requirements over there. It was great trawling around FL though - and night flying was superb. Did you manage a trip to Venice? I'm hoping to go back later in the year to do some hour building and rent an aircraft from there - plus spend some time down at Sharky's!! :)

pjdj777
17th Jan 2003, 11:30
Spils

You may have to travel a bit to get some night flying in, a lot of airfields don't allow it anymore.

I did my night rating at BFC also (as well as a multi and a shedload of hours) back in 1999, great place. I then built up some night hours at Cardiff, perhaps you could try Aeros at Filton or one of the clubs in Bournemouth.

Regards

GonvilleBromhead
17th Jan 2003, 12:04
Spils did you try the Seafood Pasta ? Worth going just for that ! ;)

bluskis
17th Jan 2003, 12:47
In my licence it states under

'Ratings included in licence'

Night

Instriment Metorological Conditions

Maybe that's because my licence is a UK ppl, not a JAA, however I thought you could only have an IMC rating on a UK ppl.

spils
17th Jan 2003, 13:42
GonvilleBromhead - must have missed that one but i'll keep an eye out in october.

are there any other recommendations for such trips whilst i'm over there. i did one trip with my instructor and a couple of others in a pa28 to clearwater on a sunday if memory serves, and that was fantastic - it seems half of florida heads that way on a weekend, and to miss all the traffic on the way back made it even more worthwhile!!

InTheAir
17th Jan 2003, 16:10
FRIDAY,

Page 3 of 6. The last paragraph of clause IX shall read:

"The privileges of this license may be excercised at night"

Speedbird252
17th Jan 2003, 22:26
i was listening to a Pooleys Air Law tape in the car today, and heard that you can fly at night on a PPL without a night rating, but you cannot carry passengers.

Is this correct?

Doesnt sound it?

:confused:

FRIDAY
19th Jan 2003, 01:16
Thanks for the replies.
Yea I missed it, it is printed on page 3 of 6 section IX,thanks.
As for flying over in florida, Venice is nice, I personally liked
La belle and Pohakee, La belle is a lovely little strip north of Immokalee, with an approach over the road for 14 which I loved.

FREDA
19th Jan 2003, 11:54
im very jealous that your going back! i did most of my flying up and around jacksonville really. i can recommend a visit to flager county airport if its an evening into night flight, cos the restaurant there serves the best steak i reckon ive ever eaten. the circuit can get a bit busy with people trying to get there early :) also, St Augustine is worth a visit, lots of aerobatic types buzzing around, but also a lot of non-radio aircraft so keep your eyes peeled, i caught an awacs there on the ground as well (i think its an awacs, twin turbo prob with huugee radar dome) as he had to wait for me in my lil c150 to land before he could take off :) can you imagine anything like that happening in england?

Final 3 Greens
19th Jan 2003, 13:03
My CAA PPL from 1994, when I added the rating, says simply Night - on a page titled Ratings.