PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair "hijacker" sentenced

Brenoch
20th Dec 2002, 10:41
The 29-year old man arrested in August attempting to get a firearm onboard a ryanair flight from Stockholm/Vasteraas airport was today sentenced to four months in prison for two counts of firearm-offence.

Roadtrip
20th Dec 2002, 14:49
Hmmmm. . . . let's see, smuggling a gun aboard an airliner from and to a country with very strict handgun laws. Sure it was just an innocent "mistake."

Unbelievable. Slap on the wrist and then let him lose on some other country. Typical European solution. We'll see him again, probably in in a newpaper picture after he kills as many infidels as he can.

fopaddy
20th Dec 2002, 21:35
Well you do not get justice in a Courtroom, you get Law. While the whole world sees the culprit in this case as a terrorist about to commit a horrific atrocity. The swedes do not. Or are they afraid to?

nomdeplume
20th Dec 2002, 23:23
Roadtrip
Typical European solution?

Europe is not (yet) a federal state. We are separate countries with (mostly) our own laws. People caught with guns in the UK are sent to prison for years not months.
Please don't generalise.

Freak On A Leash
21st Dec 2002, 13:27
Sentencing in Scandinavia is light compared to the rest of Europe, let alone the US.

Alty Meter
21st Dec 2002, 13:32
And, while we're at it Mr Roadtrip of New York, check out this thread before you crow about American courts.

Probation for F/A in 9/11 hoax (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=75987&referrerid=28147)

B767300ER
24th Dec 2002, 06:47
What a joke; that Ryanair hijacker should be put in prison for at least 3 or 4 years, just to teach him and other wannabes a lesson. This most certainly is'nt a deterrent.

Knold
24th Dec 2002, 19:49
I saw him on tv. Tried to look all inocent and saying that he had no idea how the gun got in his bag or where ever he had it.
He should have been deported or at least had a more harsh sentence.

palmtree
25th Dec 2002, 20:22
:( :confused: :confused:

I am a bit confused - but then it is Christmas!!!

I turn up at your door saying I am being treated badly at my house and if I go back I will be beaten or killed. You let me in and treat me nicely.

Later you find out just in time that I am planning to Kill your family. You say BAD BOY and let me continue to stay in your house. Chances are I will have a nother go. !!!!!!

=

Man let into country saying he will be beaten or killed if he is sent home. Country in nice to him asnd gives him a passport and all the other things that go with it.

Later country finds out man tried to board a/c with gun. Country says BAD BOY and lets him continue to live in country with passport. Changces are he will have another go !!!!!!

Am I mad ??? Because surely best thing is to strip man of passport and send him back to his country. Chances are he wont be beaten or killed as he was probably telling porkies in the first place.

In the USA they are now in some states letting the victims contribute to the sentancing process. What if the Captain Crew and Passengers - all of whom could have been killed by this man say how long they would have liked him to be in Jail. 50 years? or is that a little soft?

Freak On A Leash
26th Dec 2002, 11:26
I believe the reason the sentence was so light is because the guy didn`t actually hijack the aircraft - remember that the gun was discovered before the plane left - so technically all he had done wrong was to bring a firearm onboard an aircraft (without the proper notifications and papers). Was he in fact going to hijack the plane? Don`t know, that would be speculation. And I think this is why the sentence came to be as low as it is. And if memory serves me correct, the guy is also a pilot.

But it goes to show that the Swedish security did a very good job.

Knold
27th Dec 2002, 20:33
Maybe we should have a higher penalty for the crime he was sentenced for...?

7b2
31st Dec 2002, 16:18
Glad to find out he at least has to do some time.
Unfortunatly in this case it will be more a stimulation to do whatever he was planning on doing better next time and I'm convinced he was up to no good. Knowing this dirtbag personally from flighttraining, I can tell you that the scandanavian authorities are making a big mistake in letting him of this easy, this man is mentally extremely unstabble with no respect for human life. I've contacted the appropriate authorities in this matter but I guess it didn't help. All I can hope for is that the scandanavians will find out themselfs before he gets smarter.

Roadtrip
31st Dec 2002, 21:44
Alty Meter -
American courts aren't much better and are too often wildly inconsistant, but after having almost 3000 people murdered, billions of dollars of damage and the economy severely damaged, even they are starting to figure it out.

topgundom
1st Jan 2003, 17:04
7b2, You said that you actually knew this guy from Flight Training? Where were you doing your training and how well did you get to know him?

Scudhunter
1st Jan 2003, 18:16
I believe the reason the sentence was so light is because the guy didn't actually hijack the aircraft - remember that the gun was discovered before the plane left.

In which case I wonder how the French courts will view the alleged Paris CDG bomber, given that the gendarmes only found the stuff in his car...

7b2
1st Jan 2003, 19:05
topgundom
this guy was at NAIA in South Carolina in '96-'97, slowest (read dummest) student you will ever encounter and it didn't even bother him that he didn't solo untill he had just over 100 hrs ( he actually thought it was rather funny ).
This guy was my roommate and he drove me nuts. And for a moment I really thought he was gonna ruin my carreer, since I had to make myself know to the authorities ( I felt obligated ), so I'm actually really p.ss.d that he gets away with it.
Let's hope "they" will keep a good eye on him!!!

Brenoch
1st Jan 2003, 21:30
I wouldn't be holding my breath on that..