PDA

View Full Version : Funding For Student Pilots

sky^angel
2nd Dec 2002, 11:46
:confused: Maybe someone can help? I'm a student pilot, with minimum hours but all theory behind me. Is there any scholarships , sponsorships or funding programs in Australia that can help me make my dream a reality? I'm not willing to give up due to lack of funding. There must be another way...:rolleyes:

28thJuly2001
2nd Dec 2002, 14:14
Yes there is, it's called getting a job to pay for lessons, bit obvious I know.

28th,,

big.al
2nd Dec 2002, 15:14
28th may be a little blunt with his response, but that's the long-and-short of it. Unsure of the position down-under but in the northern hemisphere, sponsorship is as rare as rocking-horse droppings... Some limited sponsorships do appear to exist but the competition would be more fierce than a rottweiler on steroids....

Better face it, if the aviation bug has bitten you, get a job, save the bucks and bite the bullet. I had to wait ten years to get my PPL - whether I go any further all depends on the state of the market, which is not exactly favourable.

Your only other option is probably the military - at least that way you'd get someone else to pay for your training, if you get accepted. Whatever happens, best of luck....

MLS-12D
2nd Dec 2002, 15:25
sky^angel,

I don't know how old you are, but if you're under 19, look into the Australia Air force Cadets [www.aafc.adfc.gov.au/]. Gliding and powered flying training is available in most areas at reduced costs to cadets, and there are some flying scholarships.

If you're 19 or over, too bad; you'll just have to get a job, like 28th says!

sky^angel
3rd Dec 2002, 08:25
There's no need to be like that 28th -If u had half the passion I do for aviation - You wouldnt give such a ridiculous reply.
I work three jobs , & just finished my Diploma studies - Just thought scholarships might be available that I dont know of.

- Thanks to everyone else for replies.

28thJuly2001
4th Dec 2002, 14:54
Well if you have such a passion work 4 jobs, sell your grannie, dont eat.
Do anything just don't expect it to be handed to you on a plate. Spend £40,000+ on the training, work for poverty wages for a few years instructing and if you are VERY lucky you might get a 'proper' job flying something with more than one engine and a propellor.
Sorry to **** on your strawberries but I thought I would open your eyes to the wonderful world of aviation.
Wouldn't miss it for the world though :D

28th,,