PDA

View Full Version : LPL controlled airspace

Night Rider
24th Nov 2002, 23:31
Hi all,

Today, on two separate occasions, I transited the Liverpool CTR in a light aircraft and received an excellent service from ATC - (if only other ATC units could be so helpful!)

On the first occasion I was routing from an airfield in the midlands to Blackpool. I made my initial call to Liverpool APP and was cleared to transit the Liverpool Zone VFR not above 2000ft. A few mements later I entered cloud and was unable to maintain VMC so I asked ATC if I could climb. This was approved and my transit clearance was upgraded to IFR.

I positioned myself 12nm south of WAL Vor tracking inbound to the beacon. I noticed on my chart that at 2500ft (the cleared IFR level) I would be inside the class A airspace just to the west of WAL (labelled L975/B3 2000+ on the chart).

I knew I had been cleared to transit the Liverpool CTR routing via WAL but for a moment I was uncertain if my Liverpool ATC clearance permitted me to enter the L975/B3 class A airspace. I remained outside CAS until I had verified my clearance with ATC. I do hold a current IR so flying in class A was not a problem.

Do Liverpool ATC have jurisdiction over traffic in the L975/B3 sector?

Any other comments/tips regarding the Liverpool/Manchester CTR structure and zone transit procedures (IFR and VFR) would be appreciated.

Many thanks,:cool: :cool: :cool:

spekesoftly
25th Nov 2002, 00:34
The portion of class A controlled airspace that you describe, in the vicinity of WAL VOR, is 'delegated' to Liverpool ATC up to 2500'. Clearance through at a higher level can often be issued by EGGP, after prior co-ordination with Manchester TMA (W). Control of such IFR flights, above 2500', may be by either Liverpool or Manchester, depending on the prevailing traffic situation and the agreed ATC co-ordination.

Findo
25th Nov 2002, 08:30
Nightrider. Nice to see a pilot who has some situational awareness.

The old addage still stands .. "If in doubt ask." You would probably have been more reassured if you had asked Liverpool rather than PPrune.