PDA

View Full Version : European Airlines turned back

Desk Driver
14th Sep 2001, 01:24
Just heard on BBC news that airspace was opened to US airlines only tonight. Some european airlines who had set off what appears premature were turned back. Anyone know what flights they were and how far they got!

Orangewing
14th Sep 2001, 02:13
Earlier this evening I heard an Alitalia aircraft divert to Rome, having been told by ATC in no uncertain terms that his aircraft would not be allowed into U.S airspace, because it was not U.S registered. He was in the vicinity of Barcelona when he requested the diversion. :( :(

PackMaBag
15th Sep 2001, 11:24
Britannia had three B767's between 30 and 40W tracking towards BDA for Florida when the recall came. All three a/c returned to UK.

The Guvnor
15th Sep 2001, 11:47
This is crazy. Surely they had their flight plans filed and cleared? I think the time has come to start billing Uncle Sam for some of these expenses... :mad: :mad: :mad:

According to their website, as of 2340 EDT on the 14th, both Alitalia and Britannia are on the list of approved airports and airlines; see
FAA Approved Airports & Airlines (http://www.faa.gov/ats/ata/airport_cert/foreignairport.html)

[ 15 September 2001: Message edited by: The Guvnor ]

Poke Guy
15th Sep 2001, 22:47
Start billing Uncle Sam? You are nuts! You sounded so insensitive to the whole thing that I wondered what kind of memo did you send out to your employees. Perhaps one similar to Dave Turnbull's?

Wino
15th Sep 2001, 23:12
Check the dates on the flights in question. Nothing was flying domestically in the US at that time. If an airline was stupid enough to put a plane up in the air " betting on the come" then screw em.

As to yet another one of the GUV's great ideas of billing uncles sam... You are gonna have some really rich dirt on your grave with all the people pissing and ****ting on your grave.

Wino

411A
15th Sep 2001, 23:32
Oddly enough, when KLAX reopened, an Alitalia MD-11 was the first pax aircraft to land. So much for "rumours".....

Mert
15th Sep 2001, 23:38
Guv, I'll give you a bit of advice that has been told many times to many of us...
"Sometimes it is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
I personally have no ill feelings toward you and understand that people will always have differing opinions on things, I just figured I might offer you a little helpful advice.

New York Pilot
15th Sep 2001, 23:44
I concuur with Mert!!!