PDA

View Full Version : 1 pilot leaves f/d - Oxygen compulsory?

Localiser Green
2nd Oct 2002, 15:57
I heard once that (with a 2-man flightdeck) if one pilot leaves to use the toilet or something the other pilot must go on oxygen?

Is this still the case? Seems a bit OTT. Just wondering anyway, when I jumpseated an Airtours 763 home from Calgary in 1998 the F/o went to the loo for 5 mins and the Captain didn't use Oxygen, just kept chatting to me. Forgot to ask him at the time.

Thanks for any replies.

RadarContact
2nd Oct 2002, 16:12
Definately not! I surely do not put on the oxygen mask each time the chief takes a leak...

I think the requirement to have on crew member (one of two total, that is) wear the oxy-mask at any time ist above FL 410 only...

bookworm
2nd Oct 2002, 16:42
FAR 121.333

(2) When operating at flight altitudes above flight level 250, one pilot at the controls of the airplane shall at all times wear and use an oxygen mask secured, sealed, and supplying oxygen, in accordance with the following:
(i) The one pilot need not wear and use an oxygen mask at or below the following flight levels if each flight crewmember on flight deck duty has a quick-donning type of oxygen mask ...:
(A) For airplanes ... of more than 30 seats, ... at or below flight level 410.
(B) For airplanes ... of less than 31 seats, ... at or below flight level 350.

(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (c)(2) of this section, if for any reason at any time it is necessary for one pilot to leave his station at the controls of the airplane when operating at flight altitudes above flight level 250, the remaining pilot at the controls shall put on and use his oxygen mask until the other pilot has returned to his duty station.

I don't know how the UK regulations compare, but the FARs appear consistent with the requirement LG heard to use oxygen if the other crewmember leaves the flight deck.

m&v
2nd Oct 2002, 23:49
In canada the 410 rule applies
:rolleyes:

BlueEagle
3rd Oct 2002, 10:09
It used to be compulsory in Australia above 10,000' - not sure if this still applies as i don't have their ANO now.

mono
3rd Oct 2002, 10:50
The reason your pilot did not don his O2 mask is because the 76 (as do most modern transport a/c) satisfies para 2(i) in that the masks are quick donning type.

You literally pull the mask out of its housing and pop it over your head. When you let go of the paddles (which were grasped to remove the mask) the mask then self seals around your nose and mouth. The action takes no more than 3 seconds, a little more if the pilot wears glasses.

Wino
3rd Oct 2002, 15:40
Mono

Para 2 referrs to when 2 pilots are in the cockpit.
In the USA above 250 when only one pilot is at the controlls the FAA requires that he wear and use his 02

Cheers
Wino

quid
4th Oct 2002, 14:01
I agree with bookworm and Wino on this subject. If operating under FARs Part 121, it makes no difference if it's quick donning or not. If one pilot leaves his/her seat above FL250, the other puts on the mask.

Part 135 ops only require it above FL 350. The rules in other states may well be different.

Those who have experienced a rapid/explosive decompression (either in real life or a pressure chamber) are not so cavalier about this. You want it ON, not just handy.

GlueBall
5th Oct 2002, 01:17
The only time I do that drill is if an FAA inspector is in the cockpit. I'm a firm believer in at least five seconds of consciousness for me to get my mask on between at FL260 and FL410! Experts have said that even at FL410, the average reasonable healthy person would sustain at least 15 seconds of useful consciousness.

This old regulation has been on the books since the beginning of time; there to protect the worst of the chain smoking nicotine and caffeine addicted pilots, flight engineers, navigators and radio operators. In the old days the cockpit was a smoking lounge, even stews would come up for a cigarette break.

Pub User
13th Oct 2002, 22:10
When I first joined the Air Force we had to do a chamber decompression to 30,000'. Although the initial decompression was a bit of a shock , we all had a few minutes of 'useful consciousness' before we were allowed to mask up. We also had several cubic yards of foul-smelling gases coming out of our a**es!