PDA

View Full Version : Alternate airport scenario

fonawah
4th Sep 2002, 08:01
When filling in a flight plan and the alternate airport is nominated, I assume this is incase the weather at the original destination is poor. Is there ever a scenario where you are flying to a remote airport/airfield and the alternate airport is too far away? what would you do then? Would you have to ensure you had enough fuel to get there?
Also what if the weather at the alternate airport is also bad?
Sorry that's about three questions in one!!! Any help greatly appreciated.

411A
4th Sep 2002, 08:11
In the past with some of the more remote destinations in the pacific, under FAA regulations an "island reserve" fuel could be carried if no alternate was available. This island reserve fuel was two hours at normal all-engines cruise speed. for four engine aircraft.
This did not apply to twins because ETOPS was not then available.
So far as I know, this island reserve fuel requirement is still in the regulations. PanAmerican used this procedure quite a lot years ago with the B707.

Captain Airclues
4th Sep 2002, 08:53
'Island Reserve', as described by 411A is legal in Europe as well. (JAR-OPS 1.295(c)(2)).

Airclues

TheMagus
4th Sep 2002, 08:54
JAR-OPS specifies an "Isolated Aerodrome Procedure" for fuel calculations which amounts to more or less what 411 describes. You must have fuel for 2 hours flying over the destination if there is no alternate available.

TightSlot
4th Sep 2002, 09:00
I seem to recall being told by the boss that we were carrying "2 Hour Island Reserve" fuel when operating SIN-PER on a 767 - is this what he was referring to? (I'm only Cabin Crew so that's why I'm not sure) - Surely there must be some strip of concrete around PER that can be used to divert if no other choice?

fonawah
4th Sep 2002, 15:01
Thank you everyone for your help
Fonawah

Knold
4th Sep 2002, 16:21
fonawah , I think we've lost the basics here.
Flying IFR you must have an alternate (except in a few special cases, yes I know).
If the weather at either the destination or alternate is to poor you need an extra alternate that does comply with the planning minimums.
The alternate can't be "too far away" because than it doesn't serve you as a usable alternate. This is where the discussion about flying with aircrafts with limited range come in. ;)

interestedparty
4th Sep 2002, 16:27
I would be interested to learn what alternate is used for Ascension Island