PDA

View Full Version : Multiple instructions?

dmarch
15th Jan 2024, 19:16
Would/could a controller normally tell you to reduce speed and hand you off in the same sentence?

421dog
15th Jan 2024, 19:19
Sure, why not?

Gonzo
15th Jan 2024, 19:32
That wouldn't generally happen in the UK; we shouldn't include instructions that require a readback along with a transfer of communication. The ATCO should give the instruction, the flight crew then read it back, and then the transfer of communication to another frequency.

EI9793
15th Jan 2024, 20:15
Gonzo, that definitely is used in London TMA - as long as the speed part is not being used for separation then its allowed...

+TSRA
15th Jan 2024, 22:18
Would/could a controller normally tell you to reduce speed and hand you off in the same sentence?

Can't speak for Europe, but that happens here in North America with enough regularity that no one is surprised by it. Sometimes, it's more than one instruction - speed, heading, descent and contact the next sector. To be fair to the controllers though, I've only seen this on very busy days and they are normally apologetic. Normally they try and do what Gonzo said - wait for the readback then have you switch.

Added context from when I was doing and then managing a LOSA at my company, the data shows that at three instructions in one call, the vast majority of pilots will make an error, something along the lines of mixing the heading for an altitude or speed for a heading.

Request Orbit
16th Jan 2024, 07:38
To the original question: no it’s not normal, but it’s not unheard of.

UK: CAP413 2.59 (my emphasis):

Transfer of communication messages should be passed in a single message. Items which require a readback should normally be passed in a separate transmission before transfer.

It’s a should, not a shall. In practice, you’d generally try and avoid doing it, however it comes down to personal judgement for a given time and situation. If you did it routinely I’d see it as bad technique; if you pick your moments and pilots when it’s particularly busy, it can help.

Gonzo
17th Jan 2024, 08:18
Yes, it's a should not a shall.

Completely agree with you Request Orbit

LOWI
17th Jan 2024, 13:43
It's a rare occasion.

Usually you'll get "ABC reduce speed 220kts or less" and after the readback, you'll get "ABC contact XX with your speed".