PDA

View Full Version : Ministry Of Aviation - 'Ministry' ATC desks

Mooncrest
9th Jan 2024, 14:58
By these, I mean the controller and assistant work stations (apologies - can't think of an alternative name) traditionally used in CAA/NATS control towers such as Heathrow and Manchester. Are there any of these still in use today ? I know they were made of solid wood - probably oak or ash - rather than veneered chipboard, thus giving durability and strength and I imagine they were designed for 19" racks. Given today's comms equipment providers still use the 19" system, I hope some of these old desks survive, even if in someone's home or office. Plastic and metal doesn't have the same appeal.

Dan Dare
9th Jan 2024, 20:10
I believe there was a ministry carpentry division at Spectrum House next to the CAA who were tasked with making these bespoke desks, but before my time and I can't think of any NATS unit still using them daily (maybe Cardiff?).

ex82watcher
10th Jan 2024, 00:41
When I was at LATCC,West Drayton,all the radar consoles were made from metal,but the long supervisors desk,the flight progress boards,and other furniture,such as DFR (departure flow regulator) and FIR desks were all made from a light-coloured wood,oak I believe.I expect they were all turned into firewood following the move to Swanwick.

ahwalk01
10th Jan 2024, 06:17
These folks would probably know

https://atchistory.wordpress.com/2023/12/11/egpd-aberdeen-atc-control-tower-the-ziggurat-days-2/

chevvron
10th Jan 2024, 09:05
When I was at LATCC,West Drayton,all the radar consoles were made from metal,but the long supervisors desk,the flight progress boards,and other furniture,such as DFR (departure flow regulator) and FIR desks were all made from a light-coloured wood,oak I believe.I expect they were all turned into firewood following the move to Swanwick.
Mediator stage 1 had metal furniture but Stage Half at West Drayton had the old wooden stuff mixed with metal.

Rwy1234
11th Jan 2024, 08:54
I always thought a set of Manchester’s very old wooden desks went to Barton Airfield many moons again. I could be mistaken.

Mooncrest
11th Jan 2024, 18:51
Barton did well if that is the case. That kind of solid wood joinery would not come cheap these days.