PDA

View Full Version : Abort Phraseology

Junkflyer
21st Nov 2023, 22:11
I have a question for EU or other airline pilots.
The US carrier I work for recently changed the captain's call to "Stop" for a rejected take off.
It had been "Abort" for as long as I recall and was the same at a previous outfit except for a brief time when "Reject" was used.
What is word do you use?

skkm
21st Nov 2023, 22:33
It’s been “Stop” at my airline since I started there.

Loose rivets
22nd Nov 2023, 00:17
When did overshooting become going around? I just don't like a statement that could be a command. Go around! We're going around.

We didn't overshoot in the old days, we just ran out of grass and really didn't need to tell anybody because because bouncing over huge sods and spinning around trees was obvious.

Capn Bloggs
22nd Nov 2023, 00:30
Been Stop here for years. Of course, if the captain's doing it, then it should be "Stopping". ;) (Loose Rivets :ok:)

IMO, Stop sounds clearer than Abort or Reject.

PukinDog
22nd Nov 2023, 04:49
Have used all 3.

The case for "Abort" or "Reject" is that the word "Stop" is ubiquitous and frequently spoken at the beginning of comments or sentences, and thus more likely to be used reflexively or unintentionally at the wrong moment. On the other hand, "Abort" or "Reject", are far less common, aren't reflexive expressions, and specifically linked to the act of stopping the aircraft during the takeoff roll, providing their own context and thus self-explanatory. Example:

"We had to stop and return to the gate" vs. "We had to abort/reject and return to the gate". In the latter, you know they were on the runway, began the takeoff roll, but had to stop. The former requires more context to know that they rejected/aborted.

I'm supposing this, but perhaps using a specific word that provides its own context harkens back to when there was a lot more talking on a flight deck during takeoff rolls, with a lot of power managing, and cowl flap setting etc with a flight engineer between the seats getting into the act. Perhaps there were many things they needed to do or stop doing so "stop" was more ambiguous and could be misinterpreted.

Nowadays, it probably doesn't make much difference and as long is everything is initiated within the allowance made for reaction time built into the performance numbers it doesn't matter. Personally, I prefer "Reject" or "Abort" because like "Eject" it's so specific nobody needs to hear it the 2nd or 3rd times before reacting.

After so many years of instinctively calling "abort" you may experience some frustration during training at the pointless change of script. I always chalked it up to some desk-jock Manager in Flight Ops trying to prove he can "make a difference" by changing the SOPs...again. Whatever the reason, it's certain it's not because someone didn't understand the word "Abort" or "Reject".

In addition to initially stumbling over the new script while busy applying the brakes, maintaining the centreline, deploying the reversers etc, if you're the guy on the receiving end, you'll have to react upon hearing "Stop" instead automatically tuning-out and ignoring the word as you've trained yourself to do while driving when heard from the wife sitting next to you commenting on your speeding or as a command to the kids having a Fruit Loop fight in the back seat.

Junkflyer
22nd Nov 2023, 05:01
I certainly agree with you. My problem is that "stop" may be and is used in many situations. Stop-so you don't taxi across a runway you have not been cleared on, or stop and leave the box alone until we are both on the same page etc.
Abort has always meant one thing and one thing only in which both crewmembers react accordingly.

Bogner
22nd Nov 2023, 06:23
But I guess you're not going to be telling someone to 'stop doing [something irrelevant]' on the take off roll itself, so there's not likely to be any confusion.
it is annoying though when things get changed without explanation/context.

Not sure if it's so prescribed by them, but is it just reverting to manufacturer recommendation, or something, maybe?

Jonty
22nd Nov 2023, 06:51
I certainly agree with you. My problem is that "stop" may be and is used in many situations. Stop-so you don't taxi across a runway you have not been cleared on, or stop and leave the box alone until we are both on the same page etc.
Abort has always meant one thing and one thing only in which both crewmembers react accordingly.
What exactly are you discussing on the take off roll where you could use the word “stop”?
Have used “stop” for 25 years, never had a situation where its meaning could be misinterpreted.

ETOPS
22nd Nov 2023, 08:09
Always been “STOP” for the whole of my flying career - 5 airlines and 40 years..

Gordomac
22nd Nov 2023, 08:21
In 19.74 my lot said "Abandon". We changed to "Abort" in 1974. With BOAC/BEA/Regional division integration, we were told to sat "STOP"

Trident 1E re-check, capt Handling, I noticed EGT going wild and yelled " A b a h s t r i p ! ". Ace Skip just stopped but all four of us just giggled for a bit.

Airbanda
22nd Nov 2023, 08:32
When did overshooting become going around? I just don't like a statement that could be a command. Go around! We're going around.

We didn't overshoot in the old days, we just ran out of grass and really didn't need to tell anybody because because bouncing over huge sods and spinning around trees was obvious.

Overshoot became Go Around in the eighties. I think one reason was that overshoot (and undershoot) had other meanings in relation to landing short of or over running a runway and, in that context could describe the effect of windshear.

Capn Bloggs
22nd Nov 2023, 13:15
What exactly are you discussing on the take off roll where you could use the word “stop”?
Have used “stop” for 25 years, never had a situation where its meaning could be misinterpreted.
Precisely.

ATC says STOP (Immediately) so that's what should be said in the cockpit too.

PukinDog
22nd Nov 2023, 14:50

If you really want to heat this thread up, ask who has the authority to call "Reject/Abort/Stop" and who should perform it.

Aero_manoloman
22nd Nov 2023, 14:51
For us it's STOP and that's how we brief it "If I call stop I will close the thrust levers, blabla..."

ATC Watcher
22nd Nov 2023, 15:12
Ah the famous "Stop" versus "Abort" :rolleyes:. discussion .
Here we go again :
Before 1977 each Country had his own phraseology ,but after 1977 (Tenerife) it was unanimously decided to remove the words " Take off" in any transmissions but the actual take off clearance, , therefore all the previous local phraseologies using the words , like Abort take off, Reject take off, Cancel take off clearance, etc, etc. were to be disregarded. Since then (and still valid today ), the Correct ICAO PANS ATM phraseology , to be used is : [call sign] STOP IMMEDIATELY [repeat aircraft call sign] STOP IMMEDIATELY
Reasoning being is that the transmission can be stepped on by someone else and only a portion can be received , and if that part of it contains the words take off , it might be misunderstood.
Remember in Tenerife, one of the main factors was that the Pan am transmissions that they were still on the runway was stepped over and not received by neither the Pan Mm nor the controller. .

In addition we needed a standard wording , and when conducting a cultural check , most non native English pilots from emerging countries with basic level 4 would understand the meaning of STOP . Therefore STOP was chosen. and adding the word ' IMMEDIATELY" , is the standard ICAO terminology to convey urgency and repeating it twice , a standard for safety related messages.

I find it worrying that almost 50 years after this change there are apparently still pilots unaware of the changes and it looks like some ATC training academies and Flying schools still do not train the use that phraseology.

PukinDog
22nd Nov 2023, 15:30
Ah the famous "Stop" versus "Abort" :rolleyes:. discussion .
Here we go again :
Before 1977 each Country had his own phraseology ,but after 1977 (Tenerife) it was unanimously decided to remove the words " Take off" in any transmissions but the actual take off clearance, , therefore all the previous local phraseologies using the words , like Abort take off, Reject take off, Cancel take off clearance, etc, etc. were to be disregarded. Since then (and still valid today ), the Correct ICAO PANS ATM phraseology , to be used is : [call sign] STOP IMMEDIATELY [repeat aircraft call sign] STOP IMMEDIATELY
Reasoning being is that the transmission can be stepped on by someone else and only a portion can be received , and if that part of it contains the words take off , it might be misunderstood.
Remember in Tenerife, one of the main factors was that the Pan am transmissions that they were still on the runway was stepped over and not received by neither the Pan Mm nor the controller. .

In addition we needed a standard wording , and when conducting a cultural check , most non native English pilots from emerging countries with basic level 4 would understand the meaning of STOP . Therefore STOP was chosen. and adding the word ' IMMEDIATELY" , is the standard ICAO terminology to convey urgency and repeating it twice , a standard for safety related messages.

I find it worrying that almost 50 years after this change there are apparently still pilots unaware of the changes and it looks like some ATC training academies and Flying schools still do not train the use that phraseology.

I think everyone is on the same page with respect to the R/T phraseology.

BoeingDriver99
22nd Nov 2023, 15:43
Yeah for sure, just remember to “roll the trucks” whenever you need… trucks? To roll? Phuck Noes.

BoeingDriver99
22nd Nov 2023, 15:47
American ATC is an embarrassment to any professional aviator who has worldwide experience.

If you can’t understand that; it’s called cognitive dissonance.

If you can’t understand cognitive dissonance; you…….. waste of breath.

PukinDog
22nd Nov 2023, 16:50
American ATC is an embarrassment to any professional aviator who has worldwide experience.

If you can’t understand that; it’s called cognitive dissonance.

If you can’t understand cognitive dissonance; you…….. waste of breath.

If you think American ATC is an embarrassment then I reckon your "world" experience isn't all that wide, and most likely on the most well-beaten paths.

Now, if you're upset at pilots who don't use proper R/T phraseology, I'm the first guy to propose a world-wide system of fines for transmitting useless and annoying phrases. What have you done about it except fume?

ATC Watcher..BD has one I forgot about for The List: "Roll the trucks" ($640)

ATC Watcher
22nd Nov 2023, 17:21
I think everyone is on the same page with respect to the R/T phraseology.
well look at the title of this thread to start with , and the content of the question :
The US carrier I work for recently changed the captain's call to "Stop" for a rejected take off.
It had been "Abort" for as long as I recall and was the same at a previous outfit except for a brief time when "Reject" was used.
What is word do you use?
Recently , i.e. in 2023, so it took 45 years or so for this US carrier to comply with the Correct ICAO Phraseology.

On "Rolls the Trucks" , , yes 640 $ at least , I forgot one the most annoying to us Europeans is the " climbing and maintaining " as if you were otherwise going the do roller coaster up and own after reaching your cleared FL ,:E keep up the list !

BoeingDriver99
22nd Nov 2023, 18:09
PukinDog another American who cannot understand the basic terminology of what I typed. I used satire to expose the use of “roll the trucks” in FAAland. Such terminology would be a) laughed at in any other jurisdiction b) be constructively critiqued in a formal debrief c) has sadly led to the loss of lives due to delayed FFS response directly due to miscommunication inside the CONUS.

But yes; ultimately - “America - Phuck Yeah!”

And yeah; most other professionals do regard US ATC RTF as embarrassingly bad. Please don’t take my word for it; ask some other pilots you might have respect for. You may in fact learn something of use.

PukinDog
22nd Nov 2023, 18:21
well look at the title of this thread to start with , and the content of the question :

Recently , i.e. in 2023, so it took 45 years or so for this US carrier to comply with the Correct ICAO Phraseology.

On "Rolls the Trucks" , , yes 640 $ at least , I forgot one the most annoying to us Europeans is the " climbing and maintaining " as if you were otherwise going the do roller coaster up and own after reaching your cleared FL ,:E keep up the list !

I understood his question to mean what others' Company SOP cockpit callouts are to command an RTO, rather than what would be transmitted to ATC ("Stopping"....as long as you don't tell us to do it after V1, sorry).

"Climbing and maintaining"...yes, .that's absolutely List-worthy. Very annoying, especially since it reminds me of how dumb I feel anytime I try to understand quantum physics. ($1900).

PukinDog
22nd Nov 2023, 20:01
PukinDog another American who cannot understand the basic terminology of what I typed. I used satire to expose the use of “roll the trucks” in FAAland. Such terminology would be a) laughed at in any other jurisdiction b) be constructively critiqued in a formal debrief c) has sadly led to the loss of lives due to delayed FFS response directly due to miscommunication inside the CONUS.

But yes; ultimately - “America - Phuck Yeah!”

And yeah; most other professionals do regard US ATC RTF as embarrassingly bad. Please don’t take my word for it; ask some other pilots you might have respect for. You may in fact learn something of use.

I respect plenty of other pilots for a lot of things, but on this subject I'll trust my own assessment from experience gained over a 20 year stretch where perhaps 15% was spent flying inside the CONUS. Last time I counted for someone who asked, in and out of appx 90 different countries on every continent that isn't permanently covered with an ice sheet, and couldn't begin to tell you how many others were merely overflown so got a taste of their ATC but never got to sample the local food.

As an IOE Instructor for the outfit it was my job to stress that proper ICAO-script was spoken and spoken clearly. And although you think Americans are the only guilty parties for your ragging, I'll tell you that ICAO-correct words spoken in a guttural Scottish brogue or rapid-fire, clippy Queenslander-ese are just as unintelligible to the guy on listening watch down in Kigali who won't even bother to ask who's calling when he doesn't hear perhaps the only words he knows in English exactly as he learned them. It's all gibberish to him, and for all I know you're one of those he'd simply ignore, and could "uze sum learnin' ".

Also, just a constructive, informal debrief on your attempt at satire: Fair to Poor, sadly. An example of Good to Excellent: Dr. Strangelove.

NoelEvans
22nd Nov 2023, 22:03
Call to abort?

"Stop, stop, stop."

Six different airlines, four different types. The same.

Some said either pilot calls it. Some said the F/O brings the problem to the Captain's attention, who then calls it. I didn't care, if I heard "Stop, stop, stop" I would stop (abort!) and find out why in the safety of 'afterwards'.

And being said three times removed any confusion with anything else.

Loose rivets
22nd Nov 2023, 22:47
It's just come to mind. The cringe factor has increased over the 53 years since it was uttered.

"To the man in the tower from the man in the ship. Give us the word and I'll giver her the whip."

Yes, really. One of jet jockey's more colourful characters, who later became part of the CAA's flight inspectorate.

BoeingDriver99
22nd Nov 2023, 23:19
Like I said; you didn’t understand my comment PukinDog

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug :ok:

Loose rivets
23rd Nov 2023, 00:41
Yes, the most striking for me was, "we'regoin'intheHudson." Full marks for everything else, but the ATC guy did not seem to comprehend what was perhaps one of aviation's most important communications since the Wright brothers.

Gordomac
23rd Nov 2023, 08:49
Junkflyer; Blimey. See what you have started ? Good larf though and most posts worthy of the "What put a smile on your face" thread over on JB, I think.

Actually, after my "Abahstrip", in the coffee shop at Heston, Skip went on and asked what the hell is a "Barstrip"? Quite a few replies from the crew and a few more from those just listening in. Back in the sim, after the abort/abandon,reject, and an immaculate drill, he calmly told me to tell ATC '; minor engine problem, request return to Dispersal '. I n the coffeeshop I was able to defend with "yes, well, what the hell is 'dispersal'-? Some kinda washing powder I think.

Oh & to whoever asked, my last outfit was very clear. Handling pilot said ;" Whoever calls' stop'...........I will"...... etc.

And..........cripes (!) big fan of American R?T. Laid back, clear, precise, no messing and in really busy places like NY, no need to respond. Loved it .

I was criticised on my last Line Check, though, for appalling R/T. When told to "continue with" (etc) ,I never read back freq & callsign ( ended normal two/way conversation but, as it happened, the trip was a mouthful of something like ' company ID, four numbers and a letter ! I just kept saying "Cheers, mate, wilco"... Line Checker not happy.. I think NY Centre were always happy with "See ya BUddy".

ATC Watcher
23rd Nov 2023, 08:58
Gordomac (https://www.pprune.org/members/352283-gordomac) big fan of American R?T. Laid back, clear, precise, no messing and in really busy places like NY, no need to respond. Loved it .
I am constantly amazed when I read comments like this. This is one of the fun side of PPRuNe , but OK fortunately not everybody here is what he/she claims to be..

PukinDog
23rd Nov 2023, 09:23
It's just come to mind. The cringe factor has increased over the 53 years since it was uttered.

"To the man in the tower from the man in the ship. Give us the word and I'll giver her the whip."

Yes, really. One of jet jockey's more colourful characters, who later became part of the CAA's flight inspectorate.

As a test to see if it's shelf life has indeed passed one could use it on a busy day at O'Hare in response to Tower's "Line up and wait behind the departing United, traffic on a 3 mile final, keep 'em spooled Break United cleared for takeoff".

It's the only way to be sure.

Semreh
23rd Nov 2023, 09:44
What is word do you use?
Possibly, the organisation in question has been influenced by the Inclusive Naming Initiative, which describes itself: "The Inclusive Naming Initiative’s mission is to promote and facilitate replacing harmful and exclusionary language in information technology". That group has the use of 'Abort' as a term which should be replaced immediately: Inclusive Naming: Word List: Tier 1: Term: abort (https://inclusivenaming.org/word-lists/tier-1/abort/).

There was much comment on this organisation and its initiative when it was reported upon in The Register: The Register: Inclusive Naming Initiative limps towards release of dangerous digital dictionary (https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/22/inclusive_naming_initiative_word_list/)

I'm not saying this is the reason, merely floating it as a possibility. It is entirely possible that other people have independently come to a conclusion that the use of 'abort' in the context of early termination of pregnancy makes its use in other fields problematic. Or there could be other, entirely unrelated reasons.

Magplug
23rd Nov 2023, 12:15
As an FO and NHP many years ago I was involved in an RTO at an exotic Greek location in the middle of the night. Shortly before V1 a large plastic sack was carried by the wind across the runway and was ingested by the RH engine on this A320. I recall the skipper (HP) saying "I think we are going to miss it". That was the last thing I heard before a loud explosion and the world lit up and my nose was pressed against the glareshield. We stopped on the centreline from 140kts+.... The brakes were applied and the skipper selected forward idle. I ran the FIRE ENG 2 checklist from the ECAM and everything remained lit up as the 30 seconds counted down. The skipper had the PA in hand as I put the second shot it. After an agonising few seconds the fire lights went out and everybody started breathing again. The fire trucks had been scrambled without input from us and long story short.... we taxied back to the terminal on the other engine. There were subsequently lots of interviews and an AAIB investigation.

Many months later were were called in for a debrief from the AAIB. The debrief was very thorough and (surprisingly) the RTO had gone totally according to SOP, with one tiny exception.... At no stage did anyone call 'STOP'. There was a lot of F*** Sh!t F*** Sh!t but no order to reject. I guess it just goes to show that as long as everybody knows what they are doing.... it will probably turn out OK.

Gizm0
23rd Nov 2023, 15:49
As far as I was concerned, back in the day, if anyone called STOP (and we were below V1) then I would. Didn't matter if it was the RHS or the pilot positioning on the j/s - or even the hostie (if he/she screamed loudly enough!). And I always briefed that - it's called being a team. Worse that would happen would be a bit of embarrassment or having to wait for brakes to cool - or even having to refuel. None of this nonsense about RHS can't say that above 80kts - it is exactly then, when you are above that speed, that things can become critical and it is even more important to react without delay. That was why Captains were Commanders - to take the decision(s) and, if necessary, take the crap that sometimes came with doing that.
Incidentally for me it has always been "STOP STOP STOP" and I firmly believe that this was and is the best way to initiate an abort. Even my wife will stop the car - or whatever she is doing - when I yell that phrase out!! (Unfortunately a taxi driver in GLA did not and, as a result, we all ended up in hospital).
In my opinion it all went to pot when Big Airways changed the capital C to a small c in their manuals - the accountants then got to be Accountants.........

NoelEvans
23rd Nov 2023, 16:00
Call to abort?

"Stop, stop, stop."

Six different airlines, four different types. The same.

Some said either pilot calls it. Some said the F/O brings the problem to the Captain's attention, who then calls it. I didn't care, if I heard "Stop, stop, stop" I would stop (abort!) and find out why in the safety of 'afterwards'.

And being said three times removed any confusion with anything else.

As far as I was concerned, back in the day, if anyone called STOP (and we were below V1) then I would. Didn't matter if it was the RHS or the pilot positioning on the j/s - or even the hostie (if he/she screamed loudly enough!). And I always briefed that - it's called being a team. Worse that would happen would be a bit of embarrassment or having to wait for brakes to cool - or even having to refuel. None of this nonsense about RHS can't say that above 80kts - it is exactly then when you are above that speed that things can become critical and it is even more important to react without delay. That was why Captains were Captains - to take the decision(s) and, if necessary, take the crap that sometimes came with doing that.
Incidentally for me it has always been "STOP STOP STOP" and I firmly believe that this was and is the best way to initiate an abort. Even my wife will stop the car - or whatever she is doing - when I yell that phrase out!! (Unfortunately a taxi driver in GLA did not and, as a result, we all ended up in hospital).
In my opinion it all went to pot when Big Airways changed the capital C to a small c in their manuals - the accountants then got to be Accountants.........
I fully agree with you!

One error in my Post, that you had correctly in your Post, is that those three repeated words should all be in CAPITALS with no punctuation!!

Discorde
23rd Nov 2023, 17:11
Another word with ambiguous meaning is 'right'. Could cause embarrassment (or worse) in a twin requiring an engine shutdown:

'Make sure we shut down the right engine.'

Reference to 'Engine 1' or 'Engine 2' would be safer (as the fire handles were labelled on the classic B737s).

Gizm0
23rd Nov 2023, 17:35
Another word with ambiguous meaning is 'right'. Could cause embarrassment (or worse) in a twin requiring an engine shutdown:

'Make sure we shut down the right engine.'

Reference to 'Engine 1' or 'Engine 2' would be safer (as the fire handles were labelled on the classic B737s).

I don't believe that an experienced crew would use that word under those circs. It would be "the correct engine" or "Engine #2". All this is just a matter of experience - and training!

Herod
23rd Nov 2023, 21:07
I belie it's in "Fate is the Hunter" where the comment to a glum-looking F.O. is "cheer up", followed by a horrible sound of tearing metal.

PukinDog
24th Nov 2023, 03:56
As an FO and NHP many years ago I was involved in an RTO at an exotic Greek location in the middle of the night. Shortly before V1 a large plastic sack was carried by the wind across the runway and was ingested by the RH engine on this A320. I recall the skipper (HP) saying "I think we are going to miss it". That was the last thing I heard before a loud explosion and the world lit up and my nose was pressed against the glareshield. We stopped on the centreline from 140kts+.... The brakes were applied and the skipper selected forward idle. I ran the FIRE ENG 2 checklist from the ECAM and everything remained lit up as the 30 seconds counted down. The skipper had the PA in hand as I put the second shot it. After an agonising few seconds the fire lights went out and everybody started breathing again. The fire trucks had been scrambled without input from us and long story short.... we taxied back to the terminal on the other engine. There were subsequently lots of interviews and an AAIB investigation.

Many months later were were called in for a debrief from the AAIB. The debrief was very thorough and (surprisingly) the RTO had gone totally according to SOP, with one tiny exception.... At no stage did anyone call 'STOP'. There was a lot of F*** Sh!t F*** Sh!t but no order to reject. I guess it just goes to show that as long as everybody knows what they are doing.... it will probably turn out OK.

Great story :ok: And perhaps you've uncovered what might be the best term to use to command an RTO. A reflexive, naturally-occurring "F***S***!!" x 3 may be the quickest, most succinct trigger word of all.

dixi188
24th Nov 2023, 09:17
I remember doing a CRM course about 1990 and there was an AAIB inspector on it as well. He said that the most common last word on a CVR before impact was SH*T, in whatever language the crew were using.

deja vu
24th Nov 2023, 09:21
"Stop" as the levers are slammed back leaves no doubt.

Flap40
24th Nov 2023, 15:04
First airline, first type, either pilot can call 'stop' PF retained control and actioned.
First airline second type initially the same until about a year later when a crew had 'communication issues' and the call was misheard by PF so the call was changed to 'stop stop stop'. A year or so later it reverted back to just 'stop' for company commonality.
First airline, third type, as per type one.
Second airline, type one (same type as type three above) still the same.
Second airline, type two (a new type for the airline) The call was 'reject' and only by the captain but the actions were still by PF. Call changed to 'stop' about 18 months later (again for company commonality).
Third airline 'stop' call by captain only and actioned by the captain.

albatross
24th Nov 2023, 16:17
“ABORT” seems clearer to me. A clear and concise word.
However I am from pre Tenerife daze.

Only had one, in a helicopter coming off an offshore helideck just before rotation.
PNF “ABORT! Engine fire #2
Me: “ Aborting “

“Abort” was company SOP.

Yes it really was a fire. A small fire but a fire all the same. the fire and light went out when I chopped the throttle back on deck.

Gizm0
24th Nov 2023, 16:26
First airline, first type, either pilot can call 'stop' PF retained control and actioned.
First airline second type initially the same until about a year later when a crew had 'communication issues' and the call was misheard by PF so the call was changed to 'stop stop stop'. A year or so later it reverted back to just 'stop' for company commonality.
First airline, third type, as per type one.
Second airline, type one (same type as type three above) still the same.
Second airline, type two (a new type for the airline) The call was 'reject' and only by the captain but the actions were still by PF. Call changed to 'stop' about 18 months later (again for company commonality).
Third airline 'stop' call by captain only and actioned by the captain.
Strikes me the airlines (& managers) that you worked for must have had little confidence in the competence of their F/Os. In particular the third one: not allowing the F/O to call stop at any stage - and then only the Captain being allowed to action the RTO - seems to be bordering on downright dangerous. Perhaps that airline didn't allow the F/O to do anything! I well remember one of my first commercial flights as a second officer (but in the RHS) and being told "sit there, don't touch anything & speak only when you are spoken to"!! Fortunately things improved as CRM became a reality & the crusty old flying boat Captains retired......

hans brinker
24th Nov 2023, 18:06
Strikes me the airlines (& managers) that you worked for must have had little confidence in the competence of their F/Os. In particular the third one: not allowing the F/O to call stop at any stage - and then only the Captain being allowed to action the RTO - seems to be bordering on downright dangerous. Perhaps that airline didn't allow the F/O to do anything! I well remember one of my first commercial flights as a second officer (but in the RHS) and being told "sit there, don't touch anything & speak only when you are spoken to"!! Fortunately things improved as CRM became a reality & the crusty old flying boat Captains retired......

First airline was "reject x 3" (I think?), called by either, done by PF, worked well every time. Current airline is type 3, and I don't like it at all. I have to take over control during a failure that might lead to control difficulty? FO as PF can continue flying and land after a failure, but not bring the aircraft to a stop, even though he does that every other leg???

dixi188
24th Nov 2023, 19:10
Had an incident early in my FE career.
Lockheed Electra, the company procedure was for Captain to do the stop. FO was PF and as we started the take-off roll the captain saw an instrument problem and called STOP, STOP, STOP. The FO and I took our hands off the two sets of throttles but the captain did not take over and close them. We continued to accelerate so I reached forward and closed the throttles saying, "I'll stop the aircraft then".
Max speed was only about 40 kts.

Flap40
24th Nov 2023, 19:48

Just to be clear, the F/O could call stop/stop stop stop/reject in all but the last two cases. The F/O, if PF, would remain in control for all except the last case.

Max Angle
25th Nov 2023, 01:48
In particular the third one: not allowing the F/O to call stop at any stage - and then only the Captain being allowed to action the RTO - seems to be bordering on downright dangerous.
Yet that is exactly the way both Boeing and Airbus recommend their aircraft are operated, a few operators (BA for instance) are very much outliers in the airline world by not following that recommendation.

yarrayarra
25th Nov 2023, 05:23
What about “Cancel take-off clearance- STOP”

ATC Watcher
25th Nov 2023, 07:56
What about “Cancel take-off clearance- STOP”
You enviously did not read the previous posts on this thread as to why not using those specific first words , ,just look at my poste #15 for instance.

john_tullamarine
25th Nov 2023, 08:15
At the risk of being considered frivolous, sometimes one needs to be quite emphatic.

I have no idea who the dramatis personae were, on this occasion, but the tale evidently related to an RAAF F111 during a reject at Amberly. The crew called, apparently most professionally, "Barrier, barrier, barrier" to which ATC evidently asked whether there was a problem. The crew's response was "(very naughty word) barrier !" this time several octaves higher and very much louder.

ATC Watcher
25th Nov 2023, 09:41
A this time several octaves higher and very much louder. and did that helped ?
I also do not know what the correct military phraseology for a pilot to request an arresting barrier to be pulled. And Is there a standard "international " one , or is it different in each country ?

Jo90
25th Nov 2023, 10:59
STOP, usefully, is a word widely recognised even by non English speakers. Most countries use it on road signs - even the French. (Though not of course the French Canadians.)

spekesoftly
25th Nov 2023, 12:12
I also do not know what the correct military phraseology for a pilot to request an arresting barrier to be pulled. And Is there a standard "international " one , or is it different in each country ?

My recollection from some 50+ years ago is that "barrier, barrier, barrier" was the correct UK military phraseology back then. After a brief look at the latest online edition of the UK CAA Radiotelephony Manual (CAP 413) Chapter 10 (Military Specific Phraseology), that has not changed. I don't know if this is an international standard, but I suspect it is also used by most, if not all, NATO forces.

safetypee
25th Nov 2023, 12:35
JT, et al, the alternative response; 'Barrier, barrier' - ATC lowers barrier !
Hence the need for standardised procedures relating to aircraft type before take off, those which are able to use the barrier, and those who cannot.
"When it's up it's up. When it's down it's down."

Re pedantic; there is increasing need for the industry use world-wide, internationally agreed practices via ICAO.

See the quick guide to ATC calls in the link below, it would be expected that the flight deck will use similar phrases. 'STOP'

N.B 'Cancel Takeoff' only given up to the point of commencing the takeoff roll.

https://skybrary.aero/sites/default/files/bookshelf/115.pdf

Also; https://contentzone.eurocontrol.int/phraseology/

ATC Watcher
25th Nov 2023, 16:07
N.B 'Cancel Takeoff' only given up to the point of commencing the takeoff roll.

https://skybrary.aero/sites/default/files/bookshelf/115.pdf

Also; https://contentzone.eurocontrol.int/phraseology/
Interesting , this is what the ICAO book (still) says : If take-off clearance has to be cancelled before the take-off roll has commenced, the flight crew shall be instructed to hold position, stating reason. If it is necessary to cancel take-off clearance after the aircraft has commenced the take-off roll, the flight crew shall be instructed to stop immediately.
So for us the actual R/T to use was : [call sign] HOLD POSITION [repeated} , not : "Cancel take off" , as once again the words "take off" should only be used in conjunction with the actual take off clearance.

albatross
25th Nov 2023, 18:27
STOP, usefully, is a word widely recognised even by non English speakers. Most countries use it on road signs - even the French. (Though not of course the French Canadians.)

In Quebec we use WWT “Whiskey, Whiskey, Tango” AKA “Whoa, Whoa, Tabernac !!!!”….just joking.

Seriously In Quebec aviation wise “STOP” will produce the desired action.

I like the term ABORT because it is seldom used and therefore, when heard, gets your attention while “Stop” is often used ( at lesser volume ) in the cockpit and in radio communication.

When I first worked in France it was explained to me that “Stop” on a road sign was a command while “Arrete ” was used to indicate the location of a pull-off or Lay-bye, usually a scenic lookout where one rested, admired the view, enjoyed some old cheese, a fresh baguette and fine wine (Rouge in the north, rosé in the south) before getting back on the road.
The funniest was when I asked for car keys by asking “Les Clefs pour Le Char SVP” It was a military base…”You want the keys to a Tank!!???” The way they drive in the Var in the summer it would have been useful!

Right20deg
25th Nov 2023, 22:42
Many moons ago the main aircraft manufacturers and safety publications covered the notion of being..... "Go Minded" and to brief accordingly for departure.
ie. Is it better to reject in a heavy wide body and risk an over run or ......to take a problem into the air and manage it when time permits and safe ? Vmcg and V1 had to be addressed along with the use of reduced thrust take off thrust, which made every take off roll much longer. The call of "GO" was an option in the right scenario.