PDA

View Full Version : Twin Hours In The Usa

spook1
1st Sep 2002, 12:10
I'm thinking of going over to the states to do some hour building. Does anyone know where I can hire a twin aircraft for a week, with a good hourly rate?
I have tried a couple of flying clubs and they request a minimum of 500 hrs for insurance purposes; I only have 200 hrs with a JAR CPL IR.
Any info would be great.

Spook

Julian
1st Sep 2002, 12:35
Rainbow Air in CA have a twin Seneca at £160/hr wet. The hire requirements are that you either have 50 hours twin PIC or complete 25 hours dual with one of their instructors.

eyeinthesky
1st Sep 2002, 13:18
I hired a Duchess from Century Flight Academy at Morristown NJ about 5 years ago. From memory it was about the same hourly rate as you would pay for a single over here.

Their policy was that you did a check ride or two with one of their instructors and if they signed you off it didn't matter how many (or few) hours you had, you were OK to hire. I had about 300-odd at the time, and only about 15 multi.

slim_slag
1st Sep 2002, 16:03
I hired a Duchess .... 5 years ago.

Five years is a long time when your insurance is renewed annually (or even more frequently sometimes for FBOs), and things have changed. It is getting harder and harder to rent a twin, and lots of places will only let you rent with an instructor.

spook

I think you need more than a week, and realistically you should really be thinking of taking the FAA multi check ride, for which you now need a visa. Some places which do rent will want you to have an IR.

Rainbow Air at LGB is a very good suggestion, but the price should be quoted in $$ :)

mattpilot
1st Sep 2002, 18:52
Here in Tulsa is a place that rents out (2) Duchess' . Price is 140/hr. Requirements - not sure, but last i checked (couple of months ago), it was just a check out.

englishal
1st Sep 2002, 19:04
Slim...the Rainbow price is $160-$170, think julian has made a typo....

Seneca II, for the same price as a Warrior here :eek:

Cheers
EA:)

JetAgeHobo
2nd Sep 2002, 04:35
Air Desert Pacific at Brackett airfield in CA specializes in twins, instruction/rental.

Might be worth a checking into.

mattpilot
2nd Sep 2002, 05:32
here i found the link:

http://www.christiansenaviation.com/rentalrates.asp

If you take the plane for a whole day you have to pay a minimum of 4 hours. And if you buy a 10 hour blocktime, you will get it for $130/hr. I guess if ya have any questions you could always e-mail them.

Julian
2nd Sep 2002, 07:24
Slim,

Yep you are correct mate - should be $160/Hr wet.

Forgive me, had one hell of a week!!!! :eek:
(Mind you £160/Hr would be cheap over here :D )

Julian.

spook1
2nd Sep 2002, 09:43
Thanks for the info - I'll check it out

Spook