PDA

View Full Version : Converting my FAA CPL first to TC Canada and then my FAA instrument rating to TC

PilotDimi23
10th Aug 2023, 12:22
Hey guys. Do you know if it is possible to convert my FAA CPL to TC first and then a few months later convert my FAA instrument rating to TC? ( that is because my instrument rating is not current)

bafanguy
10th Aug 2023, 19:08
Hey guys. Do you know if it is possible to convert my FAA CPL to TC first and then a few months later convert my FAA instrument rating to TC? ( that is because my instrument rating is not current)

I don't see anything in the AC that says you can't. From the tables in Appendix 1, the CPL and IR are listed separately which appears to suggest these two can be converted separately.

So, you haven't had an FAA IPC within the last 24 months ?

Any chance you can get the IPC and avoid going through the conversion process in two stages ?

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-135A.pdf

PilotDimi23
12th Aug 2023, 04:01
That is great news thank you for the information. The problem is here in the Netherlands it's hard to find an N-registered A/C and find a CFII to renew my instrument.

I haven't flown IR for more than 24 months actually.

Since I am moving to Canada and I actually don't need my IR right away so my thought process is to convert my CPL first and then find a CFII instructor there and renew my IR

bafanguy
12th Aug 2023, 11:11
PilotDimi23,

Understand...good luck with your progress on this.

CFI_CYWG
4th May 2024, 17:25
I'm a Canadian aeroplane instructor and hold an FAA Aeroplane -CFI-ii that is "instrument instructor"
and helicopter CFI.
I receive numerous requests from foreign pilots immigrating to Canada asking for an FAA Instrument Proficience Check
in order to convert their FAA Instrument Rating to a Canadian Instrument Rating.

This path simply requires an FAA IPC and a short written conversion exam rather than the INRAT exam
and an initial flight test.
Unfortunately, the FAA IPC cannot be done entirely in a simulator and some of it must be done in an aircraft
and for that I use an IFR Single engine to do the IPC .

TC have an application form and after you complete the IPC, , send it to TC with the fee paid
it takes at least a week or more to have TC send a request to the FAA for confirmation of the rating.
Once TC receive the FAA confirmation, the instrument rating can be added to the Canadian licence.
Often its easier at first to get a private or commercial issued rather than the ATPL exams.

Hope that answers the question.