PDA

View Full Version : More U.K. flight chaos as eGates go down

Del Prado
27th May 2023, 09:22
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65731795

Following the BA IT failure on Thursday the busiest weekend since 2019 is proving troublesome.

Procrastinus
27th May 2023, 09:26
Does anyone actually believe that the introduction of AI will impove anything?

OvertHawk
27th May 2023, 09:39
Hmmmmm....... The Border Force / Home Office computer system fails at the beginning of a busy bank holiday weekend thus requiring staff to be called in on overtime during ongoing pay disputes and union action amid concerns about job losses due to automation?

Just saying! ;)

OH

FlyboyUK
27th May 2023, 09:49
Not like the UK e-gates work that well when they are operational. They’re so slow compared to the ones in other countries and often seem to see quite a few not working.

etrang
27th May 2023, 12:55
I think it will put a lot of people out of work, which means they won't be able to afford to fly. That should improve things.

GrahamO
27th May 2023, 17:59

Yes, as long as civil servants are not allowed anywhere near it.

Lets remember that the system is specified and run by the public sector, so anyone shouting 'nationalise the railways' should have a look at how good this lot are and think twice.

OldLurker
27th May 2023, 20:20
Who’s responsible for the proper operation of the e-gate system? Presumably Border Force. Do the management accept that e-gates are mission-critical, or do they think that occasional failures are acceptable because they can always fall back to manual checking? I suspect the latter, since the former implies (a) spending more money and (b) worse, accepting that IT is essential to the business rather than an annoying overhead, thus requiring IT to have a seat at the top table.

meleagertoo
27th May 2023, 21:07
Come on, use a bit of imagination! Who do you all suppose might have hacked them?

beardy
28th May 2023, 06:58
Did I miss something? Where did AI come in to the topic?

SpringHeeledJack
28th May 2023, 07:14
Come on, use a bit of imagination! Who do you all suppose might have hacked them?

A spokesperson did say that they couldn't reveal anuthing as "it was too sensitive", so it must have been about overtime ;-)

DaveReidUK
28th May 2023, 08:03
Who’s responsible for the proper operation of the e-gate system? Presumably Border Force.

And, ultimately, the Home Office.

artee
29th May 2023, 01:48
And, ultimately, the Home Office.
Isn't that that nice Ms Braverman?

OvertHawk
29th May 2023, 05:58
Isn't that that nice Ms Braverman?

Indeed... I'm sure it was her, personally, that spilled her coffee into the server!

If i was a betting man i'd put my money on a disgruntled Border force / home office civil servant that's p!$$ed off with their pay-rise (and worried about automation taking over) and decided to make the government look bad on a bank holiday weekend.

Right20deg
30th May 2023, 13:32
Indeed... I'm sure it was her, personally, that spilled her coffee into the server!

If i was a betting man i'd put my money on a disgruntled Border force / home office civil servant that's p!$$ed off with their pay-rise (and worried about automation taking over) and decided to make the government look bad on a bank holiday weekend.

I agree, uncivil servants forgetting their positions. The French ATC systems and controllers seem to suffer failures when there is opportunity for mischief.