PDA

View Full Version : Ex Turkish A340s to Iran

Bigt
28th Dec 2022, 14:48
Iran has taken delivery of 4 ex Turkish A340s stored at Johannesburg since April 2019. Registered to Avro Global Ltd (Hong Kong) in Guernsey they left South Africa on 23 December wearing Burkino Faso registrations heading for Uzbekistan but landing in Tehran

JanetFlight
28th Dec 2022, 17:51
Nothing new...Iraqis Al Naser made the same with some 340-600's some years ago to Mahan, and one day before Servia Aviolet 733 did the same on the 24 December....filled a FPL from Belgrade to Tas in Uzbek, and declared emergency over Iran...now happilly joined the Irans Sepehran Airlines as EP-DRV.
My left hand lil'finger for the next couple of days being 5N-BQU ex air peace nigeria already "awaiting" at BEG ;)
By the way...C5-AST at Bissau already being prepared for TO in the next few weeks, some early bird whispering ;)
Funny part in this Burkinas 340's....they filled the FPL using a three letter code oficially given by ICAO acc doc 8585 to USA cargo/charter Mannion Air...no longer flying..MAN.
Distant are those days when Abu Sheikh Rum's L1011Tristar declared an emergency to deliver Gambian soccer fans in Northern Peru Piura and not missing the game :)

zambonidriver
28th Dec 2022, 19:55
Iran has taken delivery of 4 ex Turkish A340s stored at Johannesburg since April 2019. Registered to Avro Global Ltd (Hong Kong) in Guernsey they left South Africa on 23 December wearing Burkino Faso registrations heading for Uzbekistan but landing in Tehran

Interesting story. But do they get manufacturer support from Airbus!?

DaveReidUK
28th Dec 2022, 22:13
Interesting story. But do they get manufacturer support from Airbus!?

Iran Air has managed to operate A300/A310/A32x/A330 more or less successfully over the years without much support from Airbus.

ettore
29th Dec 2022, 21:14
Should a south-african prosecutor ask a counterpart in France to seize from Airbus the ACARS of the 4 airplanes, is there a chance to prove that the 4 A/C were perfectly airworthy until they touched ground in Iran instead of Uzbekistan, as officialy planed?
If so, this could be the start of an indictment against the pilots and their employer for violating the sanctions against Iran.
All right, I'm a dreamer: I never heard of corruption in South Africa nor of its government very scarce interest for its own reputation. :ouch:

NG1
2nd Jan 2023, 08:35
Should a south-african prosecutor ask a counterpart in France to seize from Airbus the ACARS of the 4 airplanes, is there a chance to prove that the 4 A/C were perfectly airworthy until they touched ground in Iran instead of Uzbekistan, as officialy planed?
If so, this could be the start of an indictment against the pilots and their employer for violating the sanctions against Iran.
All right, I'm a dreamer: I never heard of corruption in South Africa nor of its government very scarce interest for its own reputation. :ouch:

Politics and the obvious in this case aside: in general I do not think it is a good idea to consider legal consequences for pilots declaring emergencies.

DaveReidUK
2nd Jan 2023, 08:48
Politics and the obvious in this case aside: in general I do not think it is a good idea to consider legal consequences for pilots declaring emergencies.

We know the aircraft diverted to Tehran. Are there any confirmed reports that they actually declared an emergency ?

NG1
2nd Jan 2023, 11:27
We know the aircraft diverted to Tehran. Are there any confirmed reports that they actually declared an emergency ?

Just checked my source, ch-aviation (behind paywall), and they don't have any official confirmation (I doubt there will be any), they only quote Iranian aviation military journalist Babek Taghvaee, saying that all four aircraft declared emergencies over Iran and diverted to Tehran.

packapoo
2nd Jan 2023, 19:55
Iran Air has managed to operate A300/A310/A32x/A330 more or less successfully over the years without much support from Airbus.

Should probably be an allegedly in that sentence somewhere. Could slot in a couple of places.

dixi188
3rd Jan 2023, 07:51
Where did the Olympic Airways A340s end up? I have a vague memory of Iran.

Liffy 1M
3rd Jan 2023, 11:52
Where did the Olympic Airways A340s end up? I have a vague memory of Iran.
Two were scrapped and two were sold. One is with Syrian Air (YK-AZB) and the other with Mahan Air. The Mahan one (EP-MMT) is recorded as parked.

andrasz
3rd Jan 2023, 12:38
The Mahan one (EP-MMT) is recorded as parked.

Parked at IKA, sans engines. Used as parts donor to keep the rest of the fleet going. Seen MMD a few weeks ago at IST.