PDA

View Full Version : Official Weather & Notams resources

Breakthesilence
12th Nov 2022, 16:28
Good evening,

I have a very basic question but it's annoingly keeping me up :)
As, when I flew general aviation last time many years ago, there weren't so many internet and app resources, the only official way to obtain WX info, at least in Europe, for a VFR private flight was to contact (or going to) the ARO (Aeronautical Reporting Office).
Working for an airline gives you many benefits but sometimes we lose the basis of some small things we are no longer used to.

So, what I'm asking is:

1- How does a private pilot know where to gather OFFICIAL weather and notams informations?
2- What's the original source of these informations?
3- How do you get these if you are in a remote and unassisted airport?

I know the easiest way is to maybe pay a good planning app or similar but I'm wondering how, in a very basic condition, a pilot is supposed to comply with his duties (so you should have these informations provided by someone officially and legally available in any circumstance).
I hope I've been clear in explaining what I mean :)

Have a great evening.
BTS

Check Airman
12th Nov 2022, 19:48
Here in the US, an official weather briefing can be obtained through Flight Service Station over the phone, or DUAT or DUATS electronically.

I think that within the last 6-8 years, those have become more accessible electronically via iPads, but I’ve not done it myself, so can’t tell you where to look. AOPA is usually a good source for more information on GA.

parishiltons
13th Nov 2022, 06:44
Good evening,

I have a very basic question but it's annoingly keeping me up :)
As, when I flew general aviation last time many years ago, there weren't so many internet and app resources, the only official way to obtain WX info, at least in Europe, for a VFR private flight was to contact (or going to) the ARO (Aeronautical Reporting Office).
Working for an airline gives you many benefits but sometimes we lose the basis of some small things we are no longer used to.

So, what I'm asking is:

1- How does a private pilot know where to gather OFFICIAL weather and notams informations?
2- What's the original source of these informations?
3- How do you get these if you are in a remote and unassisted airport?

I know the easiest way is to maybe pay a good planning app or similar but I'm wondering how, in a very basic condition, a pilot is supposed to comply with his duties (so you should have these informations provided by someone officially and legally available in any circumstance).
I hope I've been clear in explaining what I mean :)

Have a great evening.
BTS
1. It's promulgated in AIP GEN 3.1 of the State you want information for.
2. Depends on the State. Generally whichever organisation/s is/are responsible for the AIS (the NOTAM service and the national meteorological service for that State).
3. Use the internet. Use ACARS if your private plane is that sophisticated. Otherwise, most States provide a telephone number. If no landline, mobile or satellite phone then call ATC/Flight service or the equivalent in that State on HF and ask. If you don't have HF then depart and make contact on VHF as soon as you come into VHF coverage and then ask.

Bosi72
13th Nov 2022, 17:49
Every country has a "book" called AIP (Aeronautical Information Publication) with references to information that a pilot may need.

Max Angle
14th Nov 2022, 10:18
Official or not, I suspect most private pilots in Europe now simply fire up SkyDemon, an absolutely superb product that puts the
briefing and in-flight systems I use at work to shame.

Dave Gittins
14th Nov 2022, 12:23
Agree re Skydemon and in the USA Foreflight. And for worldwide TAFs METARs and NOTAMs us the App "Airports"

Check Airman
14th Nov 2022, 21:49
Official or not, I suspect most private pilots in Europe now simply fire up SkyDemon, an absolutely superb product that puts the
briefing and in-flight systems I use at work to shame.
I understand the convenience of the plethora of websites that publish that information. However, should I be questioned on why I did something, I'd hate to give the answer "the internet said I could"...but maybe that's showing my age.

parishiltons
15th Nov 2022, 06:28
I understand the convenience of the plethora of websites that publish that information. However, should I be questioned on why I did something, I'd hate to give the answer "the internet said I could"...but maybe that's showing my age.
Unless you use the internet address published in AIP...

Check Airman
15th Nov 2022, 13:09
Unless you use the internet address published in AIP...

Sorry. I was referring specifically to the “or not” part of the opening comment he made.

MarkerInbound
15th Nov 2022, 15:27
In the US the National Weather Service, the people who take the observations and write the forecasts, have a webpage AviationWeather.gov that is the official weather. And leidos, the company that runs the Flight Service Stations for the FAA has a webpage 1800WXbrief.com where pilots can self brief. You log in and enter your flight info and there’s a record of the briefing.

Check Airman
15th Nov 2022, 15:59
Prior to every flight, pilots should gather all information vital to the nature of the flight. This site is informational in nature and is designed to assist pilots and aircrews for flight planning and weather familiarization. It may be used in conjunction with other preflight information sources needed to satisfy all the requirements of 14 CFR 91.103 and is not to be considered as a sole source of information to meet all preflight action. Pilots can complete their regulatory-compliant preflight briefing by using other automated resources or from Flight Service at www.1800wxbrief.com (https://aviationweather.gov/www.1800wxbrief.com) or by calling 1-800-WX- BRIEF.”

https://aviationweather.gov/briefing

Breakthesilence
18th Nov 2022, 12:40
Thanks guys and....what about Europe?
What is the official weather provider where as a pilot you can legally check the weather online instead of calling the ARO?
I'm not sure everyone got it but I don't live on another planet and I use/know about websites, apps etc. My question was due to the fact that we always use and do something without, maybe, knowing what's the real (and sometimes legal) origin of it, so I was just imaging my self in a legal framework where you have to complete a planning using only official sources.

FlightDetent
18th Nov 2022, 19:24
It's all connected to the WMO. Just pick an ANSP / NAA which has an online portal.

Avinor deserves mention, indulge yourself: https://www.ippc.no/ippc/index.jsp.

If it needs to say 'legally approved', the Swiss are happy to fill your boots:

https://www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/services-and-publications/service/weather-and-climate-products/aviation-weather.html, links here: https://www.skybriefing.com/ https://www.flugwetter.de/

Bosi72
18th Nov 2022, 19:32
What is the official weather provider where as a pilot you can legally check the weather online instead of calling the ARO?
I'm not sure everyone got it but I don't live on another planet and I use/know about websites, apps etc. My question was due to the fact that we always use and do something without, maybe, knowing what's the real (and sometimes legal) origin of it, so I was just imaging my self in a legal framework where you have to complete a planning using only official sources.

The best person to ask is your flight instructor or your flight school.

However, which country in Europe you are interested in?
As mentioned above, every country in the world has a publication called AIP with all official information about services in that particular country.

AIP is standardised across the world su that the same paragraph in one country should be the same in another.

Don't know which licence you hold, but in my country for PPL exam, the AIP was one of the key books to bring into exam.

If you haven't Googled AIP and your country in Europe, maybe you do live on another planet ?

https://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/ais-online

fdr
19th Nov 2022, 08:22
In the US the National Weather Service, the people who take the observations and write the forecasts, have a webpage AviationWeather.gov that is the official weather. And the leidos, the company that runs the Flight Service Stations for the FAA has a webpage 1800WXbrief.com where pilots can self brief. You log in and enter your flight info and there’s a record of the briefing.

Every country has a "book" called AIP (Aeronautical Information Publication) with references to information that a pilot may need.

1. It's promulgated in AIP GEN 3.1 of the State you want information for.
2. Depends on the State. Generally whichever organisation/s is/are responsible for the AIS (the NOTAM service and the national meteorological service for that State).
3. Use the internet. Use ACARS if your private plane is that sophisticated. Otherwise, most States provide a telephone number. If no landline, mobile or satellite phone then call ATC/Flight service or the equivalent in that State on HF and ask. If you don't have HF then depart and make contact on VHF as soon as you come into VHF coverage and then ask.

Yup, the state AIP provides the references for state approved data IAW ICAO Annex 3. Foreflight uses FAA data that comes from LEIDOS, and which is approved by the FAA in compliance with Annex 3. Check with any other EFB or source you use, they are required to be able to state the source of the information. Whatever regulator you are under, you can advise them what source you are using, they would have to make an objection that FAA or other source is not acceptable to their standards, and then they would need to also show what their differences are from ICAO SARPS, states have a maximum of 6 months for undeclared variations from ICAO standards.

parishiltons
20th Nov 2022, 04:31
Again, refer to the AIP (section GEN 3.1) of whichever European State you want the official information for.

ShyTorque
24th Nov 2022, 07:56
Having recently updated my METAR & TAF “App” after noticing that a few stations have closed and no longer contribute (for example Linton on Ouse), I’m intrigued that RAF Swinderby (EGXS) still puts out a METAR every 30 minutes.

RAF Swinderby closed in 1993 and the domestic site has since been extensively redeveloped………so who actually produces and updates the official METAR almost 30 years later……and why? Surely it must have a financial burden, however small. Is some ancient, wizened and forgotten observer sitting in a cobweb covered office?

(It’s more surprising bearing in mind that RAF stations such as Scampton and Syerston are still active with flying but they no longer publish METAR information).