PDA

View Full Version : Speed tape, much?

slfool
23rd Apr 2022, 22:28
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1500x2000/j1te0qy8dbv81_ef54824fe3c073a3b02a7410d04756d398d37996.jpg
Picture via Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinfuriating/comments/uaag76/my_dad_sent_me_this_flying_to_saudi_from/

hans brinker
24th Apr 2022, 02:28
I think at some point it might be more efficient to paint the airplane.

Tom Sawyer
24th Apr 2022, 06:33
B787? There is a known issue with paint adhesion on the wing top surface - https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/safo/all_safos/media/2020/SAFO20006.pdf

Haven't seen one that bad before though. Slightly ironic having a QR aircraft in the background.....or is it a QR 787? :E

Less Hair
24th Apr 2022, 07:09
The made-for-metal-wings-paint is unable to follow the increased bending of the "softer" CFRP-wing and peels of? How about FOD including by all that tape coming off one day?

alf5071h
24th Apr 2022, 07:43
How might the wrinkles affect the drag profile. Or lift characteristics, stalling speed, Mach trim ?

Are the wrinkles proportional to wing flexing;- effect of mass, manoeuvre, thence control effectiveness.
Could be some interesting test flying in these areas !

Krystal n chips
24th Apr 2022, 08:52
How might the wrinkles affect the drag profile. Or lift characteristics, stalling speed, Mach trim ?

Are the wrinkles proportional to wing flexing;- effect of mass, manoeuvre, thence control effectiveness.

Speed tape is an invaluable "quick fix" and I used it, as do most engineers, many times over the years.

The only reason for those wrinkles, and they are excessive, is poor application technique. Once the patch is cut to size, and in place, you simply ensure even pressure is applied and lo and behold, a smooth surface results. It's not a complex technique. And if you do get a wrinkle, you simply remove the patch....and start again.

wiggy
24th Apr 2022, 09:04

Didn't there used to be something in the books about surfaces being "clean" in the context of all weather ops and contamination?

I know use of speedtape as/is fairly widespread for small dinks (as per K'n'Cs comment) but wonder if there is any guidance on it being used to cover significant areas of aerodynamically important surfaces?

172_driver
24th Apr 2022, 09:14
And I can't help but wonder what the passengers think... doesn't really instill confidence. Even if it works.

Less Hair
24th Apr 2022, 09:21
Takeoff performance and icing might be affected?

SRM
24th Apr 2022, 10:46
Without having reference to the 787 Structural Repair Manual.

I would say there’s an excessive amount of tape on this wing!

meleagertoo
24th Apr 2022, 12:15
More to the point, surely, is the simple "why"?
I can't think of any reason to use that much, nor anything like it.
I'd love to read the associated Tech Log entry.

albatross
24th Apr 2022, 14:01
Was a weight and balance amendment completed after the tape installation?
Otherwise safety could be compromised!
Hat, coat, door.

Busbert
24th Apr 2022, 15:20
The tape is to protect the CFRP from UV damage where the paint has flaked off. Think of it as sun cream.

nivsy
24th Apr 2022, 15:31
And I can't help but wonder what the passengers think... doesn't really instill confidence. Even if it works.
Absolutely..as a pax if on that aircraft I would be quite alarmed looking out at that wing. Infact I would suggest most people would...

Airbus_a321
24th Apr 2022, 15:56
:D
:D
no further comment. Welcome to „banana“ airlines. I would disembark this flight with this a/c on the spot

DType
24th Apr 2022, 16:11
I remember being somewhat concerned when I noticed a smallish hole in the upper surface of a wing prior to take off.
But when we climbed above the cloud it became obvious that it was just some locallly exposed black CFRP that had looked awfully like a hole in the dull light at ground level.
Doh!

zerograv
24th Apr 2022, 16:15
Haven't seen one that bad before though. Slightly ironic having a QR aircraft in the background.....or is it a QR 787? :E

The machine in the background is not a 787. It is triple 7 ...

Cat Techie
24th Apr 2022, 18:18
I hope there is the ADD's raised for these temporary repairs and wonder if they have been applied in accordance with the Boeing instructions for doing so. I suspect not by the shoddy application. Embraer do allow such alloy tape repairs to surface exposed composites and some liberal permanent repair times. However they tend to be under the requirement of an Embraer Technical Directive and with SRM directives of weekly inspections of said repairs as part of the concession to operate. Suspect Boeing as OEM would have a hissy fit if they saw that picture.

Cat Techie
24th Apr 2022, 18:27
Speed tape is an invaluable "quick fix" and I used it, as do most engineers, many times over the years.

The only reason for those wrinkles, and they are excessive, is poor application technique. Once the patch is cut to size, and in place, you simply ensure even pressure is applied and lo and behold, a smooth surface results. It's not a complex technique. And if you do get a wrinkle, you simply remove the patch....and start again.
And use a pair of scissors to cut it.

Speed tape is used in conjunction with the SRM or AMM procedures to be legally used. Protection of curing aerodynamic sealant, damaged surfaces for environmental protection and other call ups when the manuals require it to solve a line issue. When used with such, it is not a bodge. Does need to be recorded mind as a deferred defect in virtually all cases.

teej013
24th Apr 2022, 19:22
When applying Speed Tape, I used to go over it with the back of a spoon to smooth it out and feather in the edges. With a bit of application you could get quite a good polished finish.

slfool
24th Apr 2022, 20:17
A Saudia 787, according to to the original reddit post. And it's been in this state this for at least a month.

Cat Techie
24th Apr 2022, 20:30
A Saudia 787, according to to the original reddit post. And it's been in this state this for at least a month.
Hopefully if it comes back to the UK next time and if still in the same state, the CAA will plan to do a SAFA inspection on it. I would ground it if I saw that as an inspector.

Yeehaw22
24th Apr 2022, 23:20
Hopefully if it comes back to the UK next time and if still in the same state, the CAA will plan to do a SAFA inspection on it. I would ground it if I saw that as an inspector.

What for having an approved temp repair carried out iaw the manufacturers procedure? I don't think you'd last long as a SAFA inspector.

The speed tape is there to protect the composite from UV damage. It gets applied and then reinspected at set intervals with any damaged tape removed and recovered.

It's a known problem fleetwide and there is a repaint scheme to fix it. Only prob is there's a limited number of paint shops that are willing and approved by Boeing to do it as its a fairly in depth procedure. Add in the fact there's quite a few 787s to be done and the small issue of airlines wanting to resume as much flying as possible post covid = plenty of speed tape for a while yet.

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 05:26
What for having an approved temp repair carried out iaw the manufacturers procedure? I don't think you'd last long as a SAFA inspector.

The speed tape is there to protect the composite from UV damage. It gets applied and then reinspected at set intervals with any damaged tape removed and recovered.

It's a known problem fleetwide and there is a repaint scheme to fix it. Only prob is there's a limited number of paint shops that are willing and approved by Boeing to do it as its a fairly in depth procedure. Add in the fact there's quite a few 787s to be done and the small issue of airlines wanting to resume as much flying as possible post covid = plenty of speed tape for a while yet.
As I said before, accepted repair iaw manufacturers instructions. Applied properly? Will of God. I am well aware that the matrix resins used on the 78 are UV intolerant.

Tom Sawyer
25th Apr 2022, 06:07
The machine in the background is not a 787. It is triple 7 ...

Yes, I am aware that it is a QR B777 in the background. I was questioning if the wing in question was a QR B787 which would have been doubly ironic? Apparently it is a Saudia B787 wing though.

Busbert
25th Apr 2022, 07:53
The only grounds for a SAFA finding would be if the deferral was not in accordance with approved documentation and repeat inspection requirements were not captured in the aircraft maintenance log.

alf5071h
25th Apr 2022, 08:09
Krystal, #6

“The only reason for those wrinkles, and they are excessive, is poor application technique. Once the patch is cut to size, and in place, you simply ensure even pressure is applied and lo and behold, a smooth surface results.”

Non professional use of speed tape suggests otherwise; there is rarely just one reason in human related activity.

Theses ‘patches’ are strips of tape, many of them; apparently with some span-wise overlap. The ‘wrinkles’ also radiate span-wise, across several strips of tape, which suggest extremely poor application or some other effect.

Not withstanding the rules and regulations of using tape, maintenance or inspection, the question at #5 relates to what exists, what is on that aircraft and is it a hazard.

Depending on scale, the wrinkles are similar to depictions of ‘runback’ icing, a significant hazard.

P.S. when applying tape - it does not tear easily or neatly, thus cut it. Before application, scissors etc, or cut with a knife through the tape down on to the paintwork !!!!

hoistop
25th Apr 2022, 10:22
There are requirements regarding aerodynamic smoothness in every AMM. (should be in ATA 51- Standard practices - structure) I am not familiar with 787 limits, but these wrinkles looks beyond acceptable to me. Not to think of what happens if a large patch of silvertape partially peels off, say, in front of aileron. Somewhere in my memory is an accident of GA airplane, (was it a Seneca?) that suffered partial peel-off of de-ice boot in front of aileron - resultant aerodynamic disturbance caused unrecoverable assymetric stall on approach - spin - fatal crash. and wing loading on 787 is way above any GA aircraft.

FullWings
25th Apr 2022, 10:57
Hardly a “clean wing" any more! As above, goodbye laminar flow over a lot of the upper surface, which is why we’re so fastidious over contamination removal, especially regarding asymmetry. I’d take a bet that the fuel burn has gone up somewhat and the aerodynamic ceiling come down, too.

It may all be allowable but it’s not a good look...

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 13:35
The only grounds for a SAFA finding would be if the deferral was not in accordance with approved documentation and repeat inspection requirements were not captured in the aircraft maintenance log.
Yes, you are correct. Assume the 78 tech logs are electronic. Should be an entry for every patch and maintenance statement for the out of phase inspections. That would take some time to investigate out on a ramp check!

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 13:38
Krystal, #6

“The only reason for those wrinkles, and they are excessive, is poor application technique. Once the patch is cut to size, and in place, you simply ensure even pressure is applied and lo and behold, a smooth surface results.”

Non professional use of speed tape suggests otherwise; there is rarely just one reason in human related activity.

Theses ‘patches’ are strips of tape, many of them; apparently with some span-wise overlap. The ‘wrinkles’ also radiate span-wise, across several strips of tape, which suggest extremely poor application or some other effect.

Not withstanding the rules and regulations of using tape, maintenance or inspection, the question at #5 relates to what exists, what is on that aircraft and is it a hazard.

Depending on scale, the wrinkles are similar to depictions of ‘runback’ icing, a significant hazard.

P.S. when applying tape - it does not tear easily or neatly, thus cut it. Before application, scissors etc, or cut with a knife through the tape down on to the paintwork !!!!
Knifes against Boeing's? A long time no no.

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 13:55
There are requirements regarding aerodynamic smoothness in every AMM. (should be in ATA 51- Standard practices - structure) I am not familiar with 787 limits, but these wrinkles looks beyond acceptable to me. Not to think of what happens if a large patch of silvertape partially peels off, say, in front of aileron. Somewhere in my memory is an accident of GA airplane, (was it a Seneca?) that suffered partial peel-off of de-ice boot in front of aileron - resultant aerodynamic disturbance caused unrecoverable assymetric stall on approach - spin - fatal crash. and wing loading on 787 is way above any GA aircraft.
Concur with your statements.

Pilot DAR
25th Apr 2022, 15:09
Knifes against Boeing's? A long time no no.

Knives against any airframe structure is a no no!

roger,roger-roger
25th Apr 2022, 15:25
When applying Speed Tape, I used to go over it with the back of a spoon to smooth it out and feather in the edges. With a bit of application you could get quite a good polished finish.
our engineers took great pride in ensuring all the speed tape patches looked nice on the B707F's ! .. smooth and shiny ... good for car repairs too

ShyTorque
25th Apr 2022, 15:30
It must go really fast with all that speed tape on it...

Krystal n chips
25th Apr 2022, 15:37
Given it's been established the use of speed tape is an approved repair i.a.w SRM, what would be interesting to learn, is, what limitations are placed on the total surface area permitted to be covered and / or specifically defined area for small repairs.

With regard to the wrinkles, I stand by the poor application technique and would now also add, as has been mentioned, the cleanliness of the area prior to application.

I would also add, irrespective of type, I have never, ever, cut a piece of speed tape to size when it is in-situ on an airframe...it's not difficult to approximate the amount needed, cut from the roll, check, and then trim accordingly

The Tech Log entry was mentioned...and yes, it would make for interesting reading...even more interesting would be the name / stamp of whoever certified the repair(s) and certainly the one in question nearest to the fuselage.

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 16:14
Given it's been established the use of speed tape is an approved repair i.a.w SRM, what would be interesting to learn, is, what limitations are placed on the total surface area permitted to be covered and / or specifically defined area for small repairs.

Would be interesting to see what the 78 SRM says about allowable damage to surface finish and the limits before one goes to Boeing.Com.

With regard to the wrinkles, I stand by the poor application technique and would now also add, as has been mentioned, the cleanliness of the area prior to application.

Depends on what is the approved solvents one can use of the composite materials of a 78. Is MEK or FE10 useable to degrease? Does the surface finish break up like the badly applied resprays I see on my kites? Poor application by the hand crafted tear lines on the tape!

I would also add, irrespective of type, I have never, ever, cut a piece of speed tape to size when it is in-situ on an airframe...it's not difficult to approximate the amount needed, cut from the roll, check, and then trim accordingly
Too much service training there mate.

The Tech Log entry was mentioned...and yes, it would make for interesting reading...even more interesting would be the name / stamp of whoever certified the repair(s) and certainly the one in question nearest to the fuselage. God Willing, propably.

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 16:33
Knives against any airframe structure is a no no!

Indeed, amazing how many British mechanics I saw scraping off aerodynamic sealant with their metal scrapers when I first got out into the industry in 2008. Tended to be ex RAF types as well. Boeing had already come up with the posters about use of correct plastic scrappers to avoid the scribe lines found on many 73 lap joints. The poster in the stores where I saw it had already been modified to include the name of one of the worst culprits. My second job ever as a connie was to blend out the damage caused by a permie mechanic with his B and Q scrapper.

Big Pistons Forever
25th Apr 2022, 16:39
I find it very, very, very, hard to believe that what i am seeing in the picture is a repair conducted in accordance with the SMM……

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 17:11
I find it very, very, very, hard to believe that what i am seeing in the picture is a repair conducted in accordance with the SMM……
Boeing Technical services would possibly think the same. I would not be certifying it as a repeat inspection and would insist the worst patches would be reapplied by myself before I signed for it or mechanics under me would do so (alas I don't have that luxury). Done so a few times on the seven day turnaround inspections for temp repairs on my kites. Then again that amount of alloy tape is greater that the surface area of the mainplane of my type!

scr1
25th Apr 2022, 17:28
What would Hot De-icing fluid do to that?

CVividasku
25th Apr 2022, 17:28

Is it possible that wringles, in the other direction (parallel to the airflow), could appear in flight if the wing flexes too much ?
If the wing flexes up, there is less distance to travel but the speed tape is glued, so the speed tape surplus (in distance) has to go up.. and make a wrinkle.
It could be uneven parallel wrinkles, but even then it would probably be a lesser disturbance than perpendicular wrinkles !

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 17:37
What would Hot De-icing fluid do to that?
​​​​​​Not a lot. The stuff is blasted by 200 to 300 knot rain or hail if flying up and down from the cruise. Let us just say that the engineers that stuck that tape down say a lot for the culture of the place they are from. A young cat techie saw such on a trip there in GW1. It is published in a Dave Gledhill book as well. Bernie's reply "You probably are!" Fits that picture so well.

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 19:16
Is it possible that wringles, in the other direction (parallel to the airflow), could appear in flight if the wing flexes too much ?
If the wing flexes up, there is less distance to travel but the speed tape is glued, so the speed tape surplus (in distance) has to go up.. and make a wrinkle.
It could be uneven parallel wrinkles, but even then it would probably be a lesser disturbance than perpendicular wrinkles !
It has been applied by a sh*te metal worker!" I would be embarrassed to apply anything to an aircraft like that! It is gash.

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 19:31
The made-for-metal-wings-paint is unable to follow the increased bending of the "softer" CFRP-wing and peels of? How about FOD including by all that tape coming off one day?
Epoxy primers are more flexible than composite structures I would hope. Then again if it is BMS 10-11 type primer, only the primer used of the Pumas was worse (the stuff that dissolved with the slightest touch of MEK). One would have thought the fatigue testing would have shown this problem up quickly in development.

Roger Victor has it sorted, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4xuntd9Zbw

Two_dogs
25th Apr 2022, 20:51
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/900x1200/proxy_image_7752385d942e9dffa9d8bf7d1f3919973d3cd69c.jpg

Cat Techie
25th Apr 2022, 21:39
Someone had some standards,

https://i.redd.it/qfqmbapgoqv51.jpg

Rodney Rotorslap
25th Apr 2022, 22:34
Are we sure it's speed tape? It looks more like duct tape.

Out Of Trim
26th Apr 2022, 04:42
It doesn’t look good! Probably best to take it out of service now. Get it repainted soonest! I wouldn’t feel comfortable flying on it like that. 🤔😬👀

MPN11
26th Apr 2022, 10:52
Fully concur. As SLF I would find that sight very disconcerting.

DaveReidUK
26th Apr 2022, 11:16
Are we sure it's speed tape? It looks more like duct tape.

It's still attached to the wing - it's speed tape.

dixi188
26th Apr 2022, 12:23
It's still attached to the wing - it's speed tape.
I think he means the car has duct tape.

RatherBeFlying
26th Apr 2022, 16:56
Much better job on the car than the other examples.

Rodney Rotorslap
26th Apr 2022, 22:41
I think he means the car has duct tape.

Actually I was referring to the 787 wing. Last time I handled speed tape it was bright silver (which is why we called it "Instant Airframe"). The stuff on the 787 looks to be grey and plastic. Is there another type of speed tape with which I am unfamiliar?

Pilot DAR
27th Apr 2022, 00:22
The stuff on the 787 looks to be grey and plastic.

I thought so too, it's very hard to tell, but I'm suspicious that it's "duct tape" not aluminum speed tape. In any case, I suspect that it's laid the wrong way, the faying edges appear to be at the forward, rather than the rear edge of the spanwise tape. A small area can be seen to be opening up on a pocket of air already. That, and the wrinkles cause me to wonder about the compliance of the "repair" to acceptable data.

For the work required to apply all that tape, I would wonder if it would not have been as easy to apply the correct paint, even temporarily with a roller!

Fournierf5
27th Apr 2022, 00:35
It doesn’t look good! Probably best to take it out of service now. Get it repainted soonest! I wouldn’t feel comfortable flying on it like that. 🤔😬👀

I'm rather surprised that no one has put up the well-known Bear Chews up Plane, Duct Tape Repair pic yet . . . . if it gets you home!

Winemaker
27th Apr 2022, 17:17
I'm rather surprised that no one has put up the well-known Bear Chews up Plane, Duct Tape Repair pic yet . . . . if it gets you home!
Except that previous posts suggest the tape has been on for 30± days, That's not just getting you home.....

Cat Techie
27th Apr 2022, 20:51
Except that previous posts suggest the tape has been on for 30± days, That's not just getting you home.....
The legal Boeing.com authorised repairs will have life of 1000's of flying hours. If applied properly. ETDs are similar.

Yeehaw22
28th Apr 2022, 20:05
For the work required to apply all that tape, I would wonder if it would not have been as easy to apply the correct paint, even temporarily with a roller!

No allowance from Boeing to do such a thing. Although I am led to believe something might be in the offing as they just can't get them through the paint facility.

Am surprised its getting everyone's knickers in a twist so much tbh. Has it been applied well? No. But it's just a protective uv screen it's doing nothing else. Granted it looks horrendous and maybe they could come up with a white alternative but The reinspection intervals are long. That shows how concerned Boeing are about it.

I'd imagine there aren't many 787s flying that dont have any speed tape either on the wings or on other paint blemishes or lightning strikes. The biggest problem is you can't just touch them up like an alloy structure, and generally can't be done on the line due to cure times and temperature requirements.

FullWings
28th Apr 2022, 21:01
Thing is, if they were patches of ice/frost on the wing of exactly the same dimensions, people would be going nuts if it took off without deicing. There must be a limit to the amount of speed tape you can apply before the manufacturer says enough!? Maybe each patch had separate approval and they had no idea that the whole aircraft was going to look like The Mummy (or Moon Knight...)?

DaveReidUK
28th Apr 2022, 21:18
If it helps, speed tape is about an eighth of a millimetre (five thousandths of an inch) thick.

FullWings
28th Apr 2022, 21:34
It’s not so much the thickness of the tape, it’s the roughness of the application. Looking at the pic, there are lots of protruding ridges, which I would suggest are not helping the boundary layer to stay attached, plus there are at least two layers of the stuff that’s coming unstuck in places.

Maybe it has the full blessing of the design authority but it doesn’t look very good.

Cat Techie
28th Apr 2022, 21:57
No allowance from Boeing to do such a thing. Although I am led to believe something might be in the offing as they just can't get them through the paint facility.

Am surprised its getting everyone's knickers in a twist so much tbh. Has it been applied well? No. But it's just a protective uv screen it's doing nothing else. Granted it looks horrendous and maybe they could come up with a white alternative but The reinspection intervals are long. That shows how concerned Boeing are about it.

I'd imagine there aren't many 787s flying that dont have any speed tape either on the wings or on other paint blemishes or lightning strikes. The biggest problem is you can't just touch them up like an alloy structure, and generally can't be done on the line due to cure times and temperature requirements.
Nor can any alloy surface on the line.

Yeehaw22
28th Apr 2022, 22:43
Nor can any alloy surface on the line.

hmm I beg to differ.

Cat Techie
28th Apr 2022, 22:57
hmm I beg to differ.
Not when you cannot get the paint and have no hangar to apply it in during the winter. Deferred.

HOVIS
29th Apr 2022, 02:17
There is a Boeing Directive out covering this. I've seen de-icing treatment literally tearing sheets of paint off the wing. It ain't pretty, but as has been said, the application in this case is poor. I could tell a few tails about that particular airline and its maintenance standards but let me retire gracefully first.

Pilot DAR
29th Apr 2022, 02:48
When my Cessna went for new paint in 1992, some of the wingstrut fairings were cracked. I did not put adequate thought into buying new ones before paint. The paint shop people were better thinkers, and obviously wanted a job they could be proud of. They taped up the cracks in my fairings with aluminum tape, and did a really good job! The tape was properly painted, and lasted very well with the rest of the paint job. Not that I'm advocating for the apparent 787 wing tape job, but I find myself wondering, had a really good job been done of applying it smoothly, maybe the tape could then have been temporarily painted with a decent, easy to apply paint, and the tape job would probably would have gone un noticed by passengers....

While working for deHavilland back in the '80's and traveling on business with another DHC staffer, we were passengers on a commercial airline Dash 7 for a leg. As we approached the airplane to board, he commented to me: "they've repainted it with a roller!". I think that they had! Far from good, but good from far!

MostlyHarmless
29th Apr 2022, 07:50
If the wing is that sensitive to minor imperfections, god help them if they get a goose thru the leading edge.
Messy - Yes
Risky - Probably not

Yeehaw22
29th Apr 2022, 08:30
If the wing is that sensitive to minor imperfections, god help them if they get a goose thru the leading edge.
Messy - Yes
Risky - Probably not

Its just paint peeling :ugh:

Leading edges are not composite nor painted

Krystal n chips
29th Apr 2022, 12:10

Possibly the reason people are "getting everyone's knickers in a twist" was the sheer lack of professional application along with the fact somebody compounded matters by then certifying this temporary repair.

As I said previously, it would be interesting to learn what the SRM says about the maximum permitted area, cumulative or localised, that can be covered with speed tape and what effect it has on the performance given, as has been mentioned, that useful term, laminar flow, is well and truly compromised.

Cat Techie
29th Apr 2022, 21:27
There is a Boeing Directive out covering this. I've seen de-icing treatment literally tearing sheets of paint off the wing. It ain't pretty, but as has been said, the application in this case is poor. I could tell a few tails about that particular airline and its maintenance standards but let me retire gracefully first.
Carried out in accordance with the will of God.

Global Aviator
30th Apr 2022, 06:20
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1500x2000/56e587b5_f371_4b6a_a6c3_64625aed2f44_0d95351e9c5a64fb8400e07 28c71cf7ab60454ca.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1500x2000/d2198802_22c3_415f_97f0_20fadb8c8785_761dabd5c7d543a38bb7021 39a4ea059588b9fea.jpeg

Qantas 787 wing a few months ago.

Ancient-Mariner
30th Apr 2022, 15:38
No doubt someone sooner or later will arrange speed tape patches to form a readable QR code? Think of the advertising revenue........!!!

HowardB
1st May 2022, 06:14
Maybe the next step could be to apply speedtape in the factory instead of paint as it is clearly doing a better job sticking to the carbon fibre than the paint. :8

Seriously though makes me wonder if the aircraft manufacturers should be looking at a totally different technology since the issue with paint bonding to flexible carbon fibre are not easily resolved.

Ninthace
1st May 2022, 19:22
Qantas 787 wing a few months ago.

I was going to say I have flown gliders with worse but I haven't even come close to that!

We used to use tape in wind tunnels to stop the plastic pipes that connected to the pressure ports from blowing about in the breeze. The tape would stand up to airspeeds above Mach 1 but eventually the sticky would soften owing to temperature increase at high speed.