PDA

View Full Version : Private flying in central jersey (Nj)

zeddie
5th Mar 2022, 16:46
Hi all,

Im interested in learning to fly in either a Cessna or fixed wing microlight in the central Jersey area. (I live in Piscataway) and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good flight school that doesn’t cost and arm and a leg with quiet airspace too.

thanks so much

treadigraph
5th Mar 2022, 18:06
About 20 years ago a mate with an FAA PPL rented a C172 from an outfit at Princeton and we enjoyed a day flying a big circuit right around Philadelphia. It's only about 15 miles SW of you and a quiet little airfield.

zeddie
7th Mar 2022, 17:11
About 20 years ago a mate with an FAA PPL rented a C172 from an outfit at Princeton and we enjoyed a day flying a big circuit right around Philadelphia. It's only about 15 miles SW of you and a quiet little airfield.

Thanks so much. There are a couple of flying schools in Princeton now. Do you remember the name?

Jan Olieslagers
7th Mar 2022, 18:40
I have not a beginning of an answer to the question, but should like to offer, for what it is worth, a little linguistical warning from the sideline: beware of the terminology, the classification of sub-icao aeroplane categories.

What most of Europe calls an "ultralight", and the Brits and perhaps also the Dutch call a "microlight", is not really known in North America; the closest they come is an LSA ("Light Sport Aircraft") which is now also defined in several European countries; but of course not necessarily defined the same.

What North Americans call an "ultralight" is a single seater of max 120 kg empty weight; the category is known in Europe, too, for example Mr. Colombans Luciole, and a Spacek machine from Czechia. I think the Brits call it an "SSSD".

Confusing? Yes, it is...

treadigraph
7th Mar 2022, 19:16
Thanks so much. There are a couple of flying schools in Princeton now. Do you remember the name?

Looks like it was the Princeton Flying School.

zeddie
23rd Mar 2022, 16:24
Hi guys,
Thanks for your responses. I have scheduled a trial flight with Tri State Aviation (https://www.tristateaviation.com/) in central jersey. Its not far from my house and the owner was very friendly on the phone. Lessons if I move forward with the full ppl will be approx $220 per hour in total in a 172. Interesting that fixed wing microlights dont seem to exist here and no flying school offers a license in them. (such as the evektor eurostar) In the UK that is very common and cheaper to do a license in them rather than a full PPL. If anyone knows any schools that offer these then please let me know too. A full PPL seems overkill for me.

Edit.. this is what i mean by a fixed wing microlight (or light sport aircraft as Jan mentioned above) Less than half the cost to do a license in this in the UK! https://www.flymac.co.uk/11-reasons-choose-fly-fixed-wing-microlights/