PDA

View Full Version : Inviting non pilots along

double_barrel
10th Dec 2021, 11:55
As a low hours PPL, I have never flown with a non pilot. I am beginning to wonder about asking among my group of friends and colleagues if they would like to come along for a sight-seeing flight to one of the more picturesque airstrips that I am familiar with, and perhaps contribute to the fuel costs, or at least buy me a $100 hamburger. I could use the flying time, and someone contributing to the costs would be very helpful. Of course, I understand that this would be a different scale of responsibility compared to flying with someone who understands exactly what they are letting themselves in for.

I know that I would have jumped at the chance to do this just a couple of years ago - but obviously I am strange. I wonder if you folks could share some experiences/suggestions/precautions on approaching and flying with innocent non pilot friends? What reaction might I expect when they first see a rattly old C172 rather than the sleek jet they probably had in their minds ? How do passengers typically react to being bounced around by turbulence while squeezed into a tin can with all the sophistication of a Hillman Imp? How often do they scream and grab your arm?! A few sudden and substantial, buffets are almost inevitable as we descend over ground that has been baking in the sun. Obviously a good briefing is critical to set their expectations, but how to get that right without overloading or terrifying them....

Fl1ingfrog
10th Dec 2021, 14:27
The first consideration when taking people flying for the first time is the weather; good visibility is paramount and also light winds. Involve everyone fully in what you are doing during all checks and actions. You will need to supervise your non flying passengers continuously and assume nothing. Involve everyone as much as you can. Whilst taxiing allow the front seat passenger to check their brakes: you don't want the passenger to use the brakes as a foot rest during the take off or landing, I assure you words are not enough. Invite them to check controls for full and free movement during the pre-take off checks. All this involvement will ease their nerves. All this will help your passengers to build confidence in the aeroplane and you.

Once airborne keep the chatter to the minimum and allow every one to enjoy their new view of the world. Pointing out well known landmarks and towns will help them with their orientation of course. Make great efforts to fly in balance: hopefully your instructor was fastidious that you did. Sitting on or very close to the C of G you may not have appreciated what hell it is for any rear seat passengers when being swung from side to side. Consider also not to make sudden and large changes in pitch, consider the see saw effect experienced by rear seats passengers.

Best wishes

Jan Olieslagers
10th Dec 2021, 15:11
Give extensive briefing before and during and after flight. Especially, extended pre-flight briefing, also explaining what to do if things go wrong but do not forget to stress that this is extremely unlikely. If feasible, invite your guests to the airfield a couple of hours in advance: they can then get at their ease in this surrounding, and get familiar with the kind of planes and the kind of people and the kind of flying.

Do NOT suggest they share in the cost: if they do, they have a right to expectations. Which you might or might not be able to meet.
Pleasures in life ought to be shared freely, for the joy of the pleasure and for the joy of sharing it.

Above all, try to look at the whole event from your guests' view, and do all you can to make it a pleasure to them. Your own interests come second, just like when taking people to restaurant or to a concert or whatever.

N707ZS
10th Dec 2021, 15:25
Make sure you take sick bags from experience being a passenger some people easily get air sick.

Tango and Cash
10th Dec 2021, 15:56
Make sure you take sick bags from experience being a passenger some people easily get air sick.

Keep it to a short local flight if it's a passenger's first time in a light aircraft. Nothing worse than having an airsick passenger and being 30 minutes away from a suitable airport.

Jan Olieslagers
10th Dec 2021, 16:59
Yes, always be prepared for airsickness, indeed. OTOH, the smaller the plane, the less need for an _airport_ to land - I can imagine very light planes to make an out-landing in the first the best suitable field, at need; and even a C172 doesn't need CDG or JFK to land :)

India Four Two
10th Dec 2021, 19:26
My observations:

1. If you haven’t flown with back seat passengers before, consider making your first flight with an instructor or experienced pilot in the right seat. The handling, particularly in the flare, maybe quite different. Also, do make a CG calculation before departure.

2. Don’t mention sick bags, but make sure they are easily accessible. Ask your passengers to let you know if they feel uncomfortable.

3. Don’t make side-slipping approaches - it can scare your passengers. Ask me how I know!

Bigears
10th Dec 2021, 19:59
Do not underestimate what a distraction passengers can be - brief them on the need for silence (unless another aircraft spotted) when you require it.
I got the passengers to demonstrate to me how to undo the seatbelt and unlatch/open the door - as well as assurance for me, more importantly it gave them muscle memory should I not be able to assist.
For the first few times, I suggest that you give them a tour of the aircraft then send them for a coffee (& toilet!) before you conduct the pre-flight alone. Its tough looking out for their safety (E.G. propeller arc/staying close/hurting themselves on bits of the airframe) while you concentrate on ensuring the airframe is fit to fly.
Give yourself plenty of time so you don't get stressed. Things take a lot longer with passengers.
Ensure they can get a supply of cool air to the face.
Re-reading the above, I really need to add that I have had some passengers say how much they really enjoyed it (and obviously meant it), and that's a great reward for their trust in you.

SWBKCB
10th Dec 2021, 20:17
Re-reading the above, I really need to add that I have had some passengers say how much they really enjoyed it (and obviously meant it), and that's a great reward for their trust in you.

Finally! Yes, take care, but enjoy it. Most passengers are astonished and absolutely love it!

visibility3miles
10th Dec 2021, 20:54
I’ve taken many non-pilots along with me on flights. Do not let small children in the front seat, as you never want to know what knobs or levers they might want to play with. Plus, weight and balance dictates that they should be in the back seat. I took my spouse and young child flying with me multiple times. Young child buckled in their car seat in the back usually nodded off and fell asleep very quickly with the droning hum of the plane. Get them ear protection if you can.

Having headsets available where passengers can hear what is going on is a bonus.

Keep weight and balance in mind, as if you have some chubby friends along, it will take longer to get off the ground.

I have never had a problem taking passengers, but I didn’t do so until I had many hours under my belt.

In the US, if you are a private pilot, you can split the cost of the fuel, but they cannot pay you to fly them around. You need to have a commercial license before you can charge fees.

Make sure you are comfortable with your flying skills before you take passengers. You do not need to show off. They’ll be thrilled regardless, if only because they get to see their neighborhood from above for the first time.

Turbulence does bother some people much more than others, especially if they don’t have a clue what causes it.

OwnNav
10th Dec 2021, 23:27
As mentioned above, take sick bags discretely, gentle manoeuvres, watch for people going quiet, once one is sick they all will be.

kghjfg
11th Dec 2021, 07:47
I hardly ever fly alone and I hardly ever accept money, and certainly never on a first flight.

I have introduced that if we go somewhere the passenger contributes by paying the landing fee (usually £10 or £15) really this is just a token to be involved, it takes the pressure off that aspect.

If you want to fly with others to share the cost, do this with pilots. Go somewhere and have a leg each. It’s all flying, it doesn’t matter which seat you are in. You can also get to places you previously wouldn’t have because of the cost involved.

The point of flying with non pilots is to share the experiences we are lucky enough to have.
If you’re doing it to share costs you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Be prepared that lots of people will give a flat “no” and may even find the concept terrifying, do not try to convince them it’ll be fun, for them it won’t. (I hate swimming, but love flying, would I want anyone to try and convince me swimming is great)

If you find people that want to do it, they’ll love it, they’ll talk about it for days, they’ll tell everyone what happened, that’s the point, not cost sharing.

I took a friend and his 12 year old son flying once, the son sat in the front, it was his birthday.

His Dad told me afterwards, that his son said it was the best Birthday he had ever had and just didn’t stop talking about it for ages.

Anyway…

as above, involve them in everything, I usually show them where the rudder pedals, brakes are, explain they are not footrests, and how to put “feet on floor”, I then say “feet on floor” before take off and landing.

The thing I’ve found they object to most is sharply banking into turns, bank slower than you are used to, they really hate banking.

I have a phrase when I’m doing my preamble outside the aircraft. I say,

“So, what’s this like? You’ve ridden a roll coaster right?”

This usually gets a nod and a very worried face.

I then say “well, this is NOTHING LIKE THAT, in fact, if it is, we are doing it wrong, this is NOT an adrenalin sport, we are going for some gentle sightseeing”.

This changes their expectations, they are already nervous and full of adrenalin, this relaxes them.

As above really, don’t rush, show them everything, take time, do a safety brief, show them how to get out, have a sick bag to hand, but don’t tell them.

I always allow an hour extra to get into the air from arrival with a new passenger, everything must be relaxed and non rushed, they’ll be picking up all their cues on how to act and what it’s going to be like from you. You need to be calm and relaxed, then they will be too.

Heston
11th Dec 2021, 09:12
Some of the advice above is good, lots of it is nonsense.
You need to remember that people can only remember three things. So your breifing needs to cover the three things that are crucial- how to get in and out and put the straps on- don't touch the controls- if you see another aircraft, tell meThey won't remember anything else.
The best way to reassure people is for you to be calm and confident (allow plenty of time) and to give them time to ask questions beforehand.
Do not involve them in the preflight checks!!! That's a sure way for you to be distracted and miss something.

The best advice I can give is for you to ignore stuff on here and to find an instructor you trust and to ask them what they do with trial flight people.
It's good that you realise you need to think carefully about this - get advice from someone you trust.

Fl1ingfrog
11th Dec 2021, 10:41
Some of the advice above is good, lots of it is nonsense.
You need to remember that people can only remember three things. So your breifing needs to cover the three things that are crucial- how to get in and out and put the straps on- don't touch the controls- if you see another aircraft, tell me They won't remember anything else.

No one has offered nonsense but rather they have offered their own experience plus what has, for them, been effective. Of course the guest will not remember everything but from a full involvement, whenever possible, they will remember the thoroughness and high level of safety applied to every flight. The involvement of the passenger, when it is safe to do so, will most effectively remove much of the misguided mystery of flying and will build their confidence.

Discorde
11th Dec 2021, 11:08
PASSENGER BRIEFING
- loose articles
- use of seat belt and evacuation procedure
- keep hands and feet clear of controls unless I have given you control
- look out for and point out other aircraft
- avoid unnecessary conversation (I will say ‘stand by’ if I want you to stop talking)
- operation of transmit switch

Operation of transmit switch: the rationale is that if I become incapacitated my passenger can summon assistance. But to avoid alarm I say: 'If my transmit button goes u/s you can do the R/T for me'.

If the pax wants to have a go at poling I give them this brief to read beforehand:

How Do We Fly The Plane? (https://www.steemrok.com/howdo2020anon.pdf)

kghjfg
11th Dec 2021, 13:24
I think there’s quite a difference between taking friends and family flying to performing trial flights and experiences.

I don’t think the OP was asking how to give a trial flight or a paid for experience, he was asking for others experiences when flying with non pilots.

To the OP, if you are a qualified pilot, you really don’t need to find an FI to know how to take others flying, that’s ridiculous.

I don’t see any nonsense above either, some of it goes a bit further than I would, but none is nonsense or dangerous.

I had a passenger point at the PTT switch and say “and I push this when I want to talk
to you right?”

That could have been hilarious.

Anyway, do it your way and enjoy it!
It’ll be as much fun for you as it will for them.

Ridger
11th Dec 2021, 14:02
- loose articles
- use of seat belt and evacuation procedure
- keep hands and feet clear of controls unless I have given you control
- look out for and point out other aircraft
- avoid unnecessary conversation (I will say ‘stand by’ if I want you to stop talking)
- operation of transmit switch

I also use these six points. And taking Heston's 'rule of three' information retention point, I emphasise points 2,3 & 4.

And definitely select your weather carefully... To the OP - pax management will increase your workload more than you expect! Apologies if I've missed someone else making this point!

double_barrel
11th Dec 2021, 14:19
Thanks all for these thoughts. Does anyone have any comments on the typical reaction when a potential passenger first sees a tatty looking C172 that is older than them and dramatically less smart than the car they just drove to the airfield in?

In the US, if you are a private pilot, you can split the cost of the fuel, but they cannot pay you to fly them around. You need to have a commercial license before you can charge fees.

I certainly have no intention of charging fees!! But out of interest, and prompted by the thread on the 'Sala crash', I had a look at Wingly. I was astounded on the first link I clicked, to see someone with substantially less experience than me offering sight seeing tours for £170. That's insane, but an innocent passenger would have no way to know how insane.

Heston
11th Dec 2021, 15:24
I think there’s quite a difference between taking friends and family flying to performing trial flights and experiences.

To the OP, if you are a qualified pilot, you really don’t need to find an FI to know how to take others flying, that’s ridiculous.

Anyway, do it your way and enjoy it!
It’ll be as much fun for you as it will for them.

I see what you mean, a new PPL is qualified to take passengers so no need to get advice. Yet the OP has recognised that it'll be a challenge and asked for advice. I'd rather he got that from a known and trusted source than a bunch of random posters on the internet (me included).
Actually it's never ridiculous to ask an instructor for advice if you're not sure about something.

Friends and family probably need more care, not less, than experience flights and can be harder to look after. To them you are not a skygod- you're the guy who keeps loosing his car keys and can't run the washing machine. Plus it's more important to you that they go away thinking that was fun, they enjoyed it and felt safe. You want them to come again, right?

To the OP- good on you for recognising the challenge. It's a great thing to be able to introduce non flyers to light aircraft.

Don't overload them with stuff they don't need to know. But during the flight do tell them what's happening - even reducing power at the top of the initial climb out can freak people out (just tell them you're going to do it). In turns get them to look at the horizon out the front (you need to check they can see over the panel before you leave).

Have fun!

Heston
11th Dec 2021, 15:31
Thanks all for these thoughts. Does anyone have any comments on the typical reaction when a potential passenger first sees a tatty looking C172 that is older than them and dramatically less smart than the car they just drove to the airfield in?
They don't know how old it is. It's a relatively simple machine and it's well maintained and reliable - and the standards for this are much more stringent than a cars MOT.
I've actually never found this to be an issue - they trust you.

Local Variation
11th Dec 2021, 16:19
Mobile phones into flight mode or off and check/go to the toilet before we leave.

If you drop anything to the floor, tell me as it could find it's way under the rudder pedals.

And $100 on a hamburger?

B2N2
11th Dec 2021, 23:54
Keep in mind that the non flying public is generally clueless and borderline ignorant.
Low wing airplane - approach, embark and disembark to the rear and do NOT walk around the front of the plane.
High wing - approach, embark and disembark to the rear of the strut and do NOT walk around the front of the airplane.
Tell them to NEVER touch the propeller.
They may see you do it but there’s a simple answer, you know when it’s safe.

When pushing back just ask one person to help and not all of them.
Have the preflight completed before they show up and just give the safety brief.
Involve them in the flight, have them point out landmarks and other traffic.
Fly like you’ve got your grandmother in the back and your inheritance is at stake.
Its all about their enjoyment.
If you invite people then don’t expect them to pay.
If they ask you for a joyride then it’s more then fair to ask for sharing the cost.

SWBKCB
12th Dec 2021, 06:57
There are a lot of very useful points here. Whilst under pressure of trying to plan a flight and coordinate the activities of non-experienced passengers it might be possible to forget some of the great advice. Perhaps there would be some value in listing the points in some form of aide memoire? Just an idea.

Wasn't there a whole thread on this recently?

kghjfg
12th Dec 2021, 08:12
If you invite people then don’t expect them to pay.
If they ask you for a joyride then it’s more then fair to ask for sharing the cost.

This is what I couldn’t find how to explain earlier.

FullWings
12th Dec 2021, 08:43
I think someone mentioned it but I will say it again: distraction management. No matter what you say beforehand to people with no experience of light aircraft, they will do things that occupy your attention at inopportune moments. Think of it like taking a car full of schoolchildren for a fun trip somewhere. If you are not confident in dealing with passenger issues while operating the aircraft safely, get some more practice in before attempting it for real. You need spare capacity available to do this, otherwise no-one will enjoy the flight.

I find keeping a gentle running commentary on what’s going on helps, and most importantly telling people what’s going to happen next, so they are not surprised/startled/frightened by something benign. Remember, the whole objective is fun, sport and amusement, not to leave people thinking that aviation is unpleasant and dangerous...

Pilot DAR
12th Dec 2021, 12:18
Whether you're a new PPL, or very experienced, the care you take of your passengers should be the same. Being an experienced pilot will add a layer of safety, but if you're keeping the flight safe anyway, that should be fine, you passenger won't know the difference. Do not fly to the limit of your skill, fly to the comfort and enjoyment of your passenger. I have observed that newer pilots are sometimes less casual about the flight, and in being so, demonstrate more care for their passenger. When flying a plane is routine, a pilot's interest in the passenger's ride may be too.

As said, keep the flight short, until you're confident that passenger is at ease being airborne. Choose a smooth day. If the passenger seems uneasy, or stops speaking, they're probably feeling airsick, and may not want to say - head home. If you know that your passenger is not feeling 100%, bank as little as possible, and draw their attention to features on the horizon, not below the plane.

Assure that they receive a briefing about seatbelts, exits, fire extinguisher, and first aid kit, sufficient that they can help themselves (and you) if you cannot. To the extreme, when I used to take my daughter fly in camping, I prepared detailed instructions on bright pink paper, and put them in a zip lock bag in her side pocket. I told her they were there, and if something happened to me to read them.

Telling your passenger to keep their feet off the pedals is impractical in some types, particularly if they're tall. I prefer to tell them that I don't mind if they rest their feet on the pedals, they will feel them moving - just don't oppose the motion they feel. I've never had a problem - and less worried passenger.

Taking a passenger is not the time to show off, it's the time to impress them with a boring, smooth flight - zero of "watch this....."

Saab Dastard
12th Dec 2021, 12:23
Originally Posted by Porteous Loopy
There are a lot of very useful points here. Whilst under pressure of trying to plan a flight and coordinate the activities of non-experienced passengers it might be possible to forget some of the great advice. Perhaps there would be some value in listing the points in some form of aide memoire? Just an idea.
Wasn't there a whole thread on this recently?
Yes, there was - started by Porteous Loopy and then deleted by Porteous Loopy.

kghjfg
12th Dec 2021, 13:32
I was trying to get into a 500m strip, which is short for me, but ok for our aircraft.

The approach was over a hill, I’m not used to passing low over a hill on short final before the land drops away to the runway infront, so it was my 3rd attempt (really the first one was just sighting, I wasn’t expecting to land off it) when my passenger suddenly LOUDLY exclaimed

“Down there…. Down there …” urging me to look.

Then said “a steam train!”

the only reply I could come up with was

”yeah, I’m a bit busy at the moment”.

Since that, I’ve briefed about sterile cockpit if I hold my finger up or look particularly busy

B2N2
12th Dec 2021, 15:17
As a freshly minted PPL DO NOT experiment with destinations you’re not familiar with while carrying passengers.
Save that for flying with pilot friends.
However tempting do not pick up your passengers at farms trips or private strips you’re not familiar with.
It may be perfect for the owners STOL two seater and your four seater club banger may end up in the trees.

Fl1ingfrog
12th Dec 2021, 19:08
I find keeping a gentle running commentary on what’s going on helps, and most importantly telling people what’s going to happen next, so they are not surprised/startled/frightened by something benign. Remember, the whole objective is fun, sport and amusement, not to leave people thinking that aviation is unpleasant and dangerous...

Totally agree. All this stuff demanding that the passenger should not be involved, sit tight, touch nothing and shut up other than that is: "look out the window, if you see an aeroplane - then tell me" is terrible. Or is this the idea: we used to tell the children, on long journeys, when they were small, to count red telephone boxes to keep them occupied.

After 12,000 hours of flying I have never had anyone grab the controls or accidentally apply the foot brakes. I have never enforced silence or suppressed questions. At the times that it is important to hear ATC or other aircraft I simply tell the passengers that silence from them, for a time, is needed and why.

Some years ago I had a young excellent instructor working for me, it was her first job. She came back from one trial flight as white as a sheet. Just after take off her passenger had grabbed the controls such that she had to fight him off and this it transpired wasn't the first time. She had fully briefed this trial flight and once in the aeroplane he was instructed to keep his feet on the floor and hands off the controls. This is what she had been taught. I encouraged her to involve the trial flight more. That there are lots of opportunities to allow the them to apply the controls while on the way to the runway: to test the brakes, full and free movement of the rudder pedals and the hand controls. This was contrary to her training but she took my advice. She never had such an experience again.

The passenger/trial flight adult is not stupid nor ignorant but they need information, and that is why they have enthusiastically come along. Many will lap up the information with relish but others may be bored by too much. Use your judgement. Most of us are uncomfortable when not in control, information is empowering. Involving your passenger in the walk round is not a distraction. You will probably do it in more detail than you have ever done.

kghjfg
12th Dec 2021, 21:35
As a freshly minted PPL DO NOT experiment with destinations you’re not familiar with while carrying passengers.
Save that for flying with pilot friends.
However tempting do not pick up your passengers at farms trips or private strips you’re not familiar with.
It may be perfect for the owners STOL two seater and your four seater club banger may end up in the trees.

oh, I should mention this was with a chap a fly with regularly. I should have said that.

Definitely not a new passenger.

I suppose I was just mentioning because even experienced passengers sometimes get it wrong.

ChickenHouse
18th Dec 2021, 08:43
As a low hours PPL, I have never flown with a non pilot. I am beginning to wonder about asking among my group of friends and colleagues if they would like to come along for a sight-seeing flight to one of the more picturesque airstrips that I am familiar with, and perhaps contribute to the fuel costs, or at least buy me a $100 hamburger. I could use the flying time, and someone contributing to the costs would be very helpful. Of course, I understand that this would be a different scale of responsibility compared to flying with someone who understands exactly what they are letting themselves in for.

I know that I would have jumped at the chance to do this just a couple of years ago - but obviously I am strange. I wonder if you folks could share some experiences/suggestions/precautions on approaching and flying with innocent non pilot friends? What reaction might I expect when they first see a rattly old C172 rather than the sleek jet they probably had in their minds ? How do passengers typically react to being bounced around by turbulence while squeezed into a tin can with all the sophistication of a Hillman Imp? How often do they scream and grab your arm?! A few sudden and substantial, buffets are almost inevitable as we descend over ground that has been baking in the sun. Obviously a good briefing is critical to set their expectations, but how to get that right without overloading or terrifying them....
Some quick thoughts.

* As a low timer you should consider taking a special crew management addon lesson with an experienced trainer. Distractions at wrong moment demand a high skill for being focussed.
* Do short straight line hops with passengers not used to the rapid movement of small aircraft.
* Get sick bags and train (!) what to do when that annoyance occurs.
* No kids in the front seat until experienced enough to be better than their parents.
* Check the insurance coverage of the aircraft and make sure passengers are covered.
* Don't get any money for anything related to the flight, especially when holding a FAA license. The line to CPL-mandatory is ultra-thin. Donations outside the flying world don't count.

Last - I don't take passengers I don't know and trust my life on, wouldn't be the first suicide from the right seat.

SWBKCB
18th Dec 2021, 09:25
...and remember it's meant to be fun!

Pilot DAR
18th Dec 2021, 11:56
Last - I don't take passengers I don't know and trust my life on, wouldn't be the first suicide from the right seat

Happily, as a PPL, it can be presumed that you're only taking people whom you have invited, and thus you know - or else, how did they get invited? If you know someone whom you suspect is unbalanced, you should be doing something for them other than taking them flying! I can't say that no one has ever committed suicide from the right seat, but I think the chance that you might choose ti invite a person along, who then seized upon the opportunity to wrestle control away from you long enough to crash the plane are infinitesimally small - worry about absolutely everything else before that!

As for passengers being sick, firstly never coax a person into flying, if they choose not to accept your invitation, smile understandingly. Not everyone is meant to fly, and some know it. Once airborne, it is your job to take enough interest in your passengers to be aware if they have stopped talking, that will be the first sign they are feeling unwell. Ask them how they are feeling. If they say "fine", they could still be attempting to conceal airsickness, make the flight smooth with fewer turns, and consider ending it early. If they say they are feeling unwell, certainly fly smooth with few turns, and end early. Direct their attention to features on the horizon, and fly so they remain in view as much as possible. When you need to turn, direct their attention to a feature which come more into view as you turn, not something they'll have to twist or look down to continue to see. In 45 years of flying hundreds of people, often on their first flight, I've only had three be airsick, and two of those were entirely mu fault for maneuvering when I should have flown much more sublimely. More commonly, I have quietly terminated a flight early, suspecting a passenger was feeling unwell, to have them continue to assert that they were fine. Memorably, in the case of one person, who was my passenger in her professional capacity as an aircraft engineer, I have, on three different flights brought her back early, as she was so quiet, and hardly responded to me, that I figured she was unwell. She keeps telling me that she loves going flying. I have told her twice now, that she should assert that to me while flying, rather than after I have landed, and I'll give her a longer flight!

Just because you might fly a four seat plane, does not mean you have to fill the seats, just take one person, until you're used to carrying passengers.

A reason to not take kids in the front seat might be that kid in the front, and parent(s) in the back is poor C of G, but more importantly, see point above.

I once had a teenage passenger front seat with me. I knew that this person was mentally disadvantaged, so was not entirely sure what to expect. He seemed to be having a wonderful time, and I let him fly just a little at altitude. Later in the flight, he decided that he'd like to fly again, and did not accept my instruction to let go. So I pitched the plane up against his control inputs, and released his seat lock, so the seat rolled back while I then pushed the control wheel forward. It was momentarily messy, but he could then no longer reach the controls. If you're really uncertain about passenger and controls, position their seat out of reach. But, if you're uncertain anyway, you should not take them at all.

Sure, confirm insurance. But, if you're renting the plane from a reputable organization you can be confident that it is correctly insured, it's a legal requirement - but sure, ask. I have been asked several times to present my papers during random ramp checks, so it never hurts to have them in order! Ironically, one of those ramp checks was at a dock in Arctic Canada, while I was flying (solo) a Transport Canada flight test. The two Transport Canada inspectors were un moved when I explained the purpose of the flight, show us your papers.... Well, I was insured to fly the plane under my employer's fleet insurance, for which I was not carrying any papers (my oversight). he plane was insured, and those papers were there. Happily for me, the inspectors did not figure out that I was not covered by that policy, and accepted what I presented.

As said, as a PPL, your only reason for taking a passenger is for fun, so make it fun, and keep it fun.

B2N2
20th Dec 2021, 15:23
https://www.latimes.com/local/la-xpm-2013-nov-06-la-me-1107-chopper-fall-20131106-story.html?_amp=true

https://azdailysun.com/passenger-pilot-of-suicide-flight-saved-our-lives/article_c73b7746-33cc-5cf5-a315-81849b480d75.html

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-carlsbad-man-jumps-from-plane-to-his-death-2004mar31-story.html?_amp=true

Obviously rare but it does happen.
Can’t find the news link but I believe it was Florida where a person jumped during an introduction flight for the instructor to return alone.
Personally I wouldn’t fly with a person with any mental retardation.
Done that once and it turned into an immediate turn for downwind and expedited landing.

Pilot DAR
20th Dec 2021, 18:16
I agree that people have committed suicide by jumping in flight, and I can think of a few other sad stories of this in addition to those referred above, but I believe that those were cases where the passenger sought (and booked/paid for) the flight. If you, as a PPL are inviting a person for a flight (the most likely way that you could have a passenger at all as a PPL) you do not have someone along who has approached you to take them up.

But, yes, were you to be approached by a person not known to you at all, to be taken flying, that should make you think just a little more about your willingness to take that person.

double_barrel
21st Dec 2021, 05:20
True of course, I would certainly be very selective about who I approached. For example, I certainly won’t be starting with my wife! She is a terrible back seat driver in the car and she grabs my arm when in an A380 encountering a bit of a wobble. I dread to think what she would be like crammed up against me while I was trying to manage a 172.

Pugilistic Animus
23rd Dec 2021, 22:32
I had a little Beagle mix and she went everywhere with me including to school with me...and I would put her in the plane as I was doing my training...that being said,

if you're careful you may convince them to feel a 2 G turn or experience a power on stall. One of my former girlfriends was terrified by flying, she needed a Xanax or Ativan to fly so I was surprised when she came along with me in a little Archer. she experienced, slow flight, 2G turns and touch and goes. Afterwards, she lost her fear of flying, no more meds, and when it came time to travel she would say I was on a 767 or I was on a 737...etc.
the epilogue would demonstrate that she subsequently went Sky diving!

Pilot DAR
23rd Dec 2021, 23:10
For about ten years, I would attend a friend's annual corn roast with my plane. I took all the kids flying, which usually meant that I flew the entire afternoon, thirty or so flights was common. In one of the latter years, a delightful teenager presented herself, and told me that I'd taken her flying (her first flight) years earlier at the corn roast. She was so inspired that she joined air cadets, earned both her glider and powered licenses, and had now been accepted into the Canadian Forces in the hope of being a pilot.

Pugilistic Animus
28th Dec 2021, 23:55
Nobody is afraid of flying. They're afraid of dying

Pilot DAR, isn't it wonderful to get someone interested/obsessed with flying?

Mikeflies
29th Dec 2021, 00:07
Keep it to a short local flight if it's a passenger's first time in a light aircraft. Nothing worse than having an airsick passenger and being 30 minutes away from a suitable airport.

Good advice to follow here. You don't want to be stuck with a sick passenger while you're juggling everything else.

Pugilistic Animus
1st Jan 2022, 11:31
How Do We Fly The Plane? (https://www.steemrok.com/howdo2020anon.pdf) That's the same text that I have to read in order to fly. :}

Max Angle
1st Jan 2022, 16:41
The other very important thing to consider if you are taking more than one person for the first time is just how differently a four seat light aircraft will perform and handle with all the seats occupied rather than one. You will have a substantially longer take off and landing roll and you will need extra speed round the circuit and on final. Probably best to build up to it and remember that very few 4 seaters can be be fully loaded with passengers and fuel, one or the other but not both.

Fl1ingfrog
1st Jan 2022, 19:16
You will have a substantially longer take off and landing roll and you will need extra speed round the circuit and on final.

Hopefully you've been flying the aircraft's correct speeds, you do not need to increase them during normal maneuvering, when operating within the circuit or not. Never fly an aircraft on approach at speeds higher than the manual recommends which you have hopefully been doing. When operating the average four seat aircraft it is unlikely that the recommended approach speed need to be varied. Remember the point of the approach is to eventually stop. Always refer to the manual of course.