PDA

View Full Version : The Managed Decline of the U.K. Airline Industry?

Right Engine
25th Jul 2021, 03:37
I’m going to make a rather depressing prediction, pilots and aviation enthusiasts.

It comes as no surprise that when anyone has dared to mention ‘climate change’ within the confines of this forum, the self-preservationary hounds of denialism descend upon that member with such wrath, they probably never come back.

I’m afraid I am not the wilting violet you normally find in these parts.

It is my opinion that the British government quite clearly see it would be hypocritical to support the Aviation industry whilst at the same time acknowledging that we are entering into the frightening epoch of feedback cycles that are irreversible due to rising global temperatures. I see many pilots moaning about this lack of state help, yet no one here seems to make the link. Instead they put it down as incompetence. It isn’t.

We work in an industry that contributes to the problem we all face. The potential decimation of our planet’s ecosystem.

I think we all should face up to this.

The climate crisis is real. It is here. We are part of the problem.

wiggy
25th Jul 2021, 06:07
Firstly It’s a debate that has to be had but don’t for one minute think this HMG are at all concerned about either the environment or being worried about being seen as hypocritical. I also don’t think for one minute we’re seeing them take a principled stand…but if a lack of obvious support for the aviation industry is down to “environmental concerns” that concern will simply be one of chasing the green vote.

Secondly we’d see where HMG really stand on this if a major player goes under and frees up at slots at LGR/LGW…if HMG mandate that those slots should be cancelled, in effect reducing traffic into out of the UK, and reducing the UK voters opportunity for travel, then maybe they are interested in the environment

If OTOH the slots are allowed to go out to auction to the highest bidder, which will probably end up being foreign operators, then maybe the cunning plan is simply to get the emissions off the UK’s books…… because Mr Johnson is never actually going to stand up and say to the UK electorate “for the sake of the environment this government is reducing your opportunities to travel”.

TURIN
25th Jul 2021, 06:10
UK aviation contributes about 0.1% to the total of global CO2 emissions.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Right Engine
10th Aug 2021, 06:36
Yesterday’s IPCC Climate report I guess is like telling the world it has stage 4 cancer. But the news organisations being silent this morning about it? That’s like an oncologist’s receptionist telling you you’re cured.

Keep putting your fingers in your ears dears

excrab
21st Aug 2021, 08:36
Sadly for those of us who work in the U.K. airline industry, Aviation whilst it cause only a small
part of the UK carbon emissions is an easy target because it’s highly visible. Apart from tax revenue it doesn’t matter to the U.K. government if a British airline flies from the U.K. to Spain and back or a Spanish airline flies from Spain to the U.K. and back. Either can carry British holiday makers but in the second case the government can say they’ve lowered U.K. emissions by getting rid of U.K. aviation, and point the finger at other countries which still have an aviation industry.

As has been shown throughout the last eighteen months the current incumbent of No 10 and his cronies are more interested in what they can say they’ve done rather than what they’ve actually done, and getting rid of U.K. aviation in this manner would just be another example of that.