PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames

Pages : 1 2 [3]

kintyred
25th Aug 2013, 20:04
Negatory AA

Wetherby High School....where we also had "Isaiah" whose lopsided features meant that one eye was slightly more elevated than the other.

thing
25th Aug 2013, 20:10
We had a German PE teacher at school nicknamed Mengele. His method of teaching us to swim was to stand you at the deep end and whisper (he always whispered) in your ear 'You will now swim or drown' and give one a gentle nudge in the back. We all swam. Quite effective really.

It's Not Working
25th Aug 2013, 20:12
Trainee at Locking called Turtle, get her on her back and she was forked. No I didn't however.

Airborne Aircrew
25th Aug 2013, 20:26
Kintyred:

Well, King Alfred's had a Clarence too... For exactly the same reason. I didn't go there but many of my friends did.

They also had a teacher they called "tat" for his unkempt demeanor. A female teacher arrived and Tat and her struck up an obvious friendship. She became known as "Tit for Tat"... :}

Baehr
25th Aug 2013, 22:00
Dr Mengele was my dentist at Brampton.

"Do you see this sharp spike?" (Waving one of those 'dentist things' just in front of my face')

"If you bite me - or if I think you're going to bite me - I'm going to stick it in your gum and give it a twist."

Bill4a
26th Aug 2013, 20:53
At Odiham in 1960frozen to death there was a Polish pilot known to all and sundry as Jock, apparently because he wasn't, and a Polish armourer called Fred because no one could pronounce his proper name! :hmm:
B

Airborne Aircrew
26th Aug 2013, 21:44
There were the two Saudi ATC studes at Shawbury in 1984. One known as Hamdani and the other with an unpronounceable name... They became known as Hamdani and Hamsarnie.

Old Fella
27th Aug 2013, 05:17
Once knew an RAF RadTech at RAAF Base Edinburgh (Australia) whom was known as "Crayfish". He was not appreciative when told it was because he was "All meat in the a..e and s..t in the head"

500N
27th Aug 2013, 05:47
AA

Following on from your story, we have quite a few xxxxxxxpoulosisis etc
from Greek and Italian backgrounds who join. We had two in my recruit
course who promptly became Wheelbarrow 1 and Wheelbarrow 2.

Mk 1
27th Aug 2013, 07:36
Dr Mengele was my dentist at Brampton.

"Do you see this sharp spike?" (Waving one of those 'dentist things' just in front of my face')

"If you bite me - or if I think you're going to bite me - I'm going to stick it in your gum and give it a twist."

Mate of mine reckoned he never had a problems with pain at the dentists - first thing he did after getting the the chair was to reach up under the dentist's coat and grab a handful of the dentist's marriage tackle, and in a slightly menacing tone ask: "We are not going to be experiencing any pain are we doctor?"

Didn't ask what was the drill if the dentist was a woman...

Mk 1
27th Aug 2013, 07:38
Once knew an RAF RadTech at RAAF Base Edinburgh (Australia) whom was known as "Crayfish". He was not appreciative when told it was because he was "All meat in the a..e and s..t in the head"
We used to refer to the Physical Training Instructor's as lobsters for the same reason - body full of meat, head full of shyte. They even obligingly wore red shorts to help complete the picture...

smujsmith
27th Aug 2013, 17:37
Vicks was popular in the 70's after their advert was translated to RAF Speak as " gets up your nose, and lasts a long time ". We had a young, long lanky chap on a unit I worked at who was known as "The Hissing Link", he was reckoned to be a cross between Hissing Sid and the missing link. He took it quite well.

Smudge

Saintsman
22nd Jun 2021, 15:23
Nicknames was broached on another thread, but probably worth one of its own.

I probably came across more people in the forces with nicknames than in civvy street, Some fortunate and some not so.

I joined up with a lad known as Butlins, because he thought Swinderby was going to be a holiday camp.

Knew a Shaggy, because he looked like the guy from Scoobie Doo. He was one where some people didn't know his last name, never mind his first.

I also heard of one with the surname Gilbert and was known as Green (which he hated). That name had followed him around different camps.

There are also some very spurious reasons for the nicknames, but they seem to have blossomed and struck a chord with their contemporaries. We had someone who was called T-shirt, just because he was the first name on a list saying he wanted a section T-shirt.

I'm sure there are better ones...

Crromwellman
22nd Jun 2021, 15:51
Nicknames was broached on another thread, but probably worth one of its own.

I probably came across more people in the forces with nicknames than in civvy street, Some fortunate and some not so.

I joined up with a lad known as Butlins, because he thought Swinderby was going to be a holiday camp.

Knew a Shaggy, because he looked like the guy from Scoobie Doo. He was one where some people didn't know his last name, never mind his first.

I also heard of one with the surname Gilbert and was known as Green (which he hated). That name had followed him around different camps.

There are also some very spurious reasons for the nicknames, but they seem to have blossomed and struck a chord with their contemporaries. We had someone who was called T-shirt, just because he was the first name on a list saying he wanted a section T-shirt.

I'm sure there are better ones...
I was always told that at some time in your career you would get a nickname that would stay with you for the rest of your career, and maybe beyond. I never knew mine.but their was one graduate officer who was known by the troops as "Lighthouse" from Lighthouse in a desert because he was brilliant but completely useless

ACW599
22nd Jun 2021, 16:41
On UWAS in about 1973 we had "Thumper" Thompson. I can't now remember how he acquired this sobriquet -- presumably he thumped someone at some stage -- but I gather that nickname remained with him throughout his career.

mikemmb
22nd Jun 2021, 16:43
Came across a guy known by everyone as “rigor-mortise” …took me a while to figure out he was an airframe fitter with the surname of Mortice!

teeteringhead
22nd Jun 2021, 16:47
Knew a FAA heli pilot called Sleman who was known as "Splunk"!

Jackjones1
22nd Jun 2021, 16:49
We had an apprentice called Treasure.... she had a sunken chest

ExAscoteer2
22nd Jun 2021, 17:01
We had a sqn member known as 'Thromboid' because he was a slow moving clot.

Another known as 'Snap-On' because he was more than a single tool.

just another jocky
22nd Jun 2021, 17:08
We had a Boss nicknamed Mansa.....,.

Farrell
22nd Jun 2021, 17:18
A guy named Keith was nicknamed Keth because he was missing an eye.

NutLoose
22nd Jun 2021, 17:28
We had a guy nicknamed Paxo because he was always stuffing things.

The Oberon
22nd Jun 2021, 17:52
We had a W.O. Amos, known to all, behind his back, as Ignor.

MPN11
22nd Jun 2021, 17:59
1. The Fg Off Hunter pilot named Hunt, nicknamed “Isaac” (harsh and unfair!)

2. Two colleagues named Grant, sometimes known for obvious reasons as “G Blanc” and “G Noir” … back in those days of innocence!

KG86
22nd Jun 2021, 18:02
We had a navigator known as Wedge - the simplest tool known to man.

taxydual
22nd Jun 2021, 18:04
Then there was 'Saddo'.
He came back from a 4 month Falklands tour to find his car missing (stolen?) from the side street in Carterton he'd left it in. ("They wouldn't let me keep it on Brize") He bleated.
Got back to his flat to discover his girlfriend had moved out 3 month's earlier.......And left the cold water tap running and the lights on.
Went to see his parents and discovered they had moved house, he didn't know where to..................................His problem's were endless. How we laughed.

albatross
22nd Jun 2021, 18:06
Fellow named Poole….Forever named “Cess”.
Heck of a nice guy and a good pilot.

Anyone with the name Rhodes was “Dusty” automatically. There were some variations such as “Bad”, “Dirt” and even a “Roman”.

BEagle
22nd Jun 2021, 18:16
His problems were endless. How we laughed.

What a thoroughly nasty bunch you must have been. Can you even begin to imagine the trauma he must have suffered after returning from the South Atlantic?

Fortunately in 35 years of RAF service, I never encountered such Schadenfreude.....

taxydual
22nd Jun 2021, 18:41
Schadenfreude.... Oh yes, and didn't we rub it in. Oh bring back the non PC days.

Lima Juliet
22nd Jun 2021, 18:44
So many to choose from in the Aircrew world:

OSLO - Outer Space Liaison Officer
Wigwam Teepee - because he was too tense!
Farmer - because he was very agricultural with the flying controls
ROLF - Rude Obnoxious Little F*cker
FLUFF - Flipping Lazy Useless Fat F*cker
Fluff - surname Freeman
Pumper - surname Nichol
Tug - anyone called Wilson
Brain Cell - as he had a very slow drawn out Northern accent
Uncle - the oldest looking chap on the sqn
Slider - he stank!
Cheezy - surname Cox
Sorbie - surname Hynd
Hitter (HITR) - he was an unwanted child, so stood for ‘hole in the rubber’
Bird - one of the first female fast jet pilots
Doris - another one of the first female fast jet pilots
Biffa - got a bit punchy after a beer
Flame - ginger haired
Slim - for one of the rounder flying training students
Fat Bat - resembled a large fruit bat
Hog - ate just about anything
Nerd - because he was, so Boss asked us to stop, so then called ‘Not Nerd’. Boss intervened again, so then called ‘Still’ (Not Nerd)

I could go on, but pretty much everyone had a nickname or an abbreviated version of their real name. No point in railing against it either, it only makes it worse! If I thought about it, I could probably write a book on some of the many nicknames or ‘callsigns’ as the Yanks tend to call them.

longer ron
22nd Jun 2021, 19:02
My first Sqn Boss was 'Superpig'
We had an SAC at Brandy who's name was Barth - he hated being called 'Plug' :)
Short Fat Rigger Chief was 'Egg On Legs' (also part of the 'Fatman and Dobbyn' team)
Loads more I will try to remember :)

Ascend Charlie
22nd Jun 2021, 19:07
"Sleeves" as his name was R. Moles
"Far" Cannell
"Dulk" Hunt
"Seaman" Staines
and of course, "Masta" Bates.

Sideshow Bob
22nd Jun 2021, 19:28
We had a small hairy Nav turn up on the Sqn, when asked his name his first words were "Don't call me Monkey Boy" (a name he'd gained during Nav Training). Well you can guess what his Sqn name badge said when it arrived.

taxydual
22nd Jun 2021, 19:40
Beags, in actual fact, Saddo was named by one of your F4 nav mates. One J U. A Schadenfreude, maybe. An all round good guy all the same. And we still laughed.

SASless
22nd Jun 2021, 19:50
Fumes....he drank a lot......no....I. mean A LOT.

Plod.....as he used to be one.

New Guy (F@cking New Guy) was new to unit but on his second tour in Vietnam and instantly objected to being called a "new guy" which caused him to be called that yet today over fifty years later.

Frenchy....A German Immigrant who spoke in a very broad German Accent who had been in the Hitler Youth growing up.

Squeak.....due to his high pitched voice and short stature.

TP....later altered to STP when his Shrew of a Wife insisted he sit to piddle.

Burp....because he did constantly.

Bullet Bob....in that it was either he resembled a bullet in the shape of his body or his luck to be in aircraft when it got shot up.

Twiggy.....a wee Lad that probably tipped the scales at 350 pounds and stood about 5'8" and was still on active duty as he was a genius in leading work parties on the Chinook.

Wormy....as he was skinnier than a Somalia Scarecrow.

Puss....as he was named LeConte.

Chicken Man.....a Black Police Officer (and riding partner and still a dear friend for going on fifty years ) due to his inability to pass by a Fried Chicken Joint without stopping.

Einstein....as he was dumber than a box of rocks.

Strut Pump....a Passenger Agent at a small airfield as she was a double action sweetheart.

Twin Pac....another Passenger Agent at that same airport that earned that title by removing her blouse if she was losing in a game of Squash.

But my favorite was "Horse **** Charlie aka Horse ****"....who everyone flying helicopters in Alaska knew or knew of....but no one seemed to know his given name.

taxydual
22nd Jun 2021, 19:53
SASless. Re Twiggy. Did he have an Italian surname?.

NutLoose
22nd Jun 2021, 20:02
Dill, surname Doe, served at Brize.

SASless
22nd Jun 2021, 20:04
I cannot recall his Surname....as it has been a very long time ago.....but I can visualize what he looks like yet today.

We considered him "combat essential" for the unit....as he had been there for years.....I will ask at the unit FB Page and see if I can come up with his name.

Saintsman
22nd Jun 2021, 20:06
Percy, as in Percy Thrower because he liked gardening.

Fritz, because his first name was Carl and someone said that it sounded German.

Dino, a rather large armourer with a small brain…

taxydual
22nd Jun 2021, 20:20
SAS, don't worry. If it's the same guy (Burnetti? or something similar), The guy was amazing, How he scrambled up rear pylons on the Chinook was a sight to behold. Plus, he was a bloody good techie.

Legalapproach
22nd Jun 2021, 20:27
Groin - because he was a bit of a strain
Thrush - because he was an irritating c...
Adolph - originally called Hun and had a bit of a tiz one day saying ' Whilst I am part German I do not like this nickname'

langleybaston
22nd Jun 2021, 20:46
Jim Boots.

Thus I was known at Dunstable c. 1960, home of the Central Forecasting Office and the officially clever research branches.

It was like this, at Harrow Wealdstone [another home of the clever Met folk, and a few less so .......] I had been Joed to be the Civil Defence Rescue Team leader. The essential point here is that the kit comprised a white tin hat with black bands and a big R, baggy green overalls and boots, ammunition, Great War..
This kit was kept with the Green Goddess along with all the tough guy axes, ladders, ropes and wrecking bars. Some kind soul sent the helmet, overalls and boots to Dunstable while I was on leave between postings.

The parcel was received with wonder, and much mocking, so that when I turned up I had been Christened in absentia..The boots were presented to me in a formal liquid ceremony.

Jim Boots remained Jim for the next 30-odd years to the old Dunstable folk, indeed my future wife first knew me as Jim.

The boots? Like so many memories, lost in the mists of time.

F4Mfixer
22nd Jun 2021, 22:45
Man who aquired a nick name he truly detested because of his facial expression,while working on Nimrods.He was over the moon to get posted and move to Phantoms leaving it behind.
However one day on detachment in Cyprus he was eating in the mess with his new coworkers when in walk a group of Nimrod workers who see him and
shout across the mess "Hey, its you, isn't it Stoat"

woptb
22nd Jun 2021, 22:58
Chief Tech,nickname Acid,he always took the best trips.
A mate saving for a deposit on a house,so he never went out,nickname Olympic Flame,eventually became known as Ollie.
Coffee,he was bitter as fu..........!
Women & children,always first out the door.

Hydromet
22nd Jun 2021, 23:27
Harpic - clean around the bend.
Wang - surname Kerr
I was there yesterday - unpronounceable Polish name
Bubbles - because she was a bubbly person
Whenya - when you're smiling, because she never was
Minute man - "Have you got a minute, mate."
Joe Kool - came into the office one day wearing shorts, long socks and reflective sun glasses. Someone said "F... me, it's Joe Kool." and it stuck. Thirty years later there were people who thought that was his real name.

NutLoose
22nd Jun 2021, 23:41
Had three Marks on the OCU so they became mark one, mark two and mark three.

Saint Jack
23rd Jun 2021, 00:40
RAF Leeming, waaaay back in the Jet Provost days there was a SWO (?) who was blind in one eye and was known as "Clarence" after the movie "Clarence the One Eyed Lion."

I have a life-long friend whom I met at RAF Saint Athan when we were both Boy Entrants (45th). I still call "Bernie", he acquired this nick-name from "Bernie, the bolt please" which was a catch-phrase used in a TV programme called "The Golden Shot."

Tom Sawyer
23rd Jun 2021, 01:47
MDF - thick, but great to work with.

Knew a guy called Watson who cut the end of his thumb of with a metal guillotine, was forever known as Whatthumb after that.

Ascend Charlie
23rd Jun 2021, 01:52
Two people named José, so one stayed José and the other was Hose B.

Art Smass
23rd Jun 2021, 02:28
"Juan" Kerr - unfortunate apprentice at BAe

HAS59
23rd Jun 2021, 02:38
On UWAS in about 1973 we had "Thumper" Thompson. I can't now remember how he acquired this sobriquet -- presumably he thumped someone at some stage -- but I gather that nickname remained with him throughout his career.
If it was the same guy on Nimrods, we always thought the name came from his very solid landings.
A favourite trick by the ops staff was to put his name up on the ops board as Thompson.
When he saw it he would comment on the miss-spelling of his name. which inevitably had the ops officer call out to one of his staff 'Task the 'P' out of Thomson.'
Nice bloke though.

tartare
23rd Jun 2021, 02:39
Always thought that female pilot called Rock was rather funny - Red haired Ovulating Commie Killer.

John Eacott
23rd Jun 2021, 02:42
All Bennett surnames are known as Wiggy, but Wiggy Bennett of 899 and 892 was the owner of two wigs, not having a hair on his body (reputedly) following the shock of finding himself upside down in a Hunter at 50ft and surviving.

Wig 1 was for smart uniform, Wig 2 for runs ashore in the hippy days. When told to 'get a haircut' one day he smartly whipped off his cap, followed by the wig, then replaced the cap :cool:

Fly3
23rd Jun 2021, 04:04
Wiggie was my beefer at Church Fenton and we later served together on Ark Royal. I remember that he was on Divisions when the inspecting officer commented on the length of his hair at which point he whipped off his wig much to the amazement of said dignitary.

BANANASBANANAS
23rd Jun 2021, 05:03
The list wouldn't be complete without 'Bisto' getting a mention. He was thick and rich.

0ttoL
23rd Jun 2021, 06:12
"Passion Fingers" - Everything he touched was f*cked/broken
"Show Bag" - (A Show bag in Australia, is the bag of lollies/sweets & plastic toys that you buy for kids at the show/fair) Since he is "full of sh*t" We all have those mates.

Party Animal
23rd Jun 2021, 06:58
If it was the same guy on Nimrods, we always thought the name came from his very solid landings.
A favourite trick by the ops staff was to put his name up on the ops board as Thompson.
When he saw it he would comment on the miss-spelling of his name. which inevitably had the ops officer call out to one of his staff 'Task the 'P' out of Thomson.'
Nice bloke though.

Or after repeatedly complaining about the misspelling of his name with the addition of the letter ‘P’, he was renamed ‘Thummer’ Thomson!

One of my favourites was for the unpopular flt cdr whose office was at the end of the corridor of power. Crate - c**t right at the end.

Sloppy Link
23rd Jun 2021, 06:59
10 gauge….as described in the Army metal workers handbook, “Thick, and difficult to work with.”

DHC4
23rd Jun 2021, 07:10
A guy named Keith was nicknamed Keth because he was missing an eye.

https://twitter.com/barnabybear70/status/1397983372333486086?s=21

ACW599
23rd Jun 2021, 07:18

He did indeed end up on the Nimrod but definitely acquired the nickname on UWAS. A good bloke indeed, especially after a few sherberts.

teeteringhead
23rd Jun 2021, 07:23
A boastful guy who would always top your stories was called “Seven Toes”.

The logic was that if you said you had six toes, he’d have seven.

Brian 48nav
23rd Jun 2021, 07:52
Back in the days of dinosaurs - the late60s/early 70s we had a nav on 30 known as Vick 'cos he got 'right up your nose'.

Capt Scribble
23rd Jun 2021, 08:04
Wonder what happened to the Wing-nut who was around in the 80s.

DODGYOLDFART
23rd Jun 2021, 09:07
We had a Polish Master Nav (came to UK in 1940) on Meteor 12/14's in the 1950's who was known as "XYZ" as no one could pronounce his name. Great guy with a liking for Polish Spirit who would often have a flask with him on night flying. One night following a PI over the Western Channel close to France and above cloud the pilot asked for a steer but the only response was snoring from the back seat. Following a bit of violent flying and still no response from what was now a passenger in the back seat the pilot checked fuel states and called an emergency. Duly the French ATC came up and gave him a steer to one of their bases where they landed safely. I don't remember what the final outcome was but I seem to remember "XYZ" somehow talked his way out of it following a rather difficult conversation with the Boss.

Those were the days!

old,not bold
23rd Jun 2021, 09:30
Gulf Aviation/Gulf Air had a Captain known to all as Fingers to acknowledge his jumbo sausage-sized digits.......he was a whizz with the DC3 and F27, but found the BAC 1-11 a challenge. I don't remember if he ever transferred to the B737-200.

Flypro
23rd Jun 2021, 09:41
My favourite was a chap surnamed Castle. His nickname was Bouncy.

Brian 48nav
23rd Jun 2021, 09:55
DODGY.. On 30 we had a co-pilot, Pete Cullum, nicknamed A-Z cos he had so many christian names - 5 I think?

MPN11
23rd Jun 2021, 10:00
DODGY.. On 30 we had a co-pilot, Pete Cullum, nicknamed A-Z cos he had so many christian names - 5 I think?
Not to be confused with another "A-Z" of the RAF Regt persuasion ...M P W C E W M Br***ng

Shytehawk
23rd Jun 2021, 10:03
Woppi- Pilot surname Tupper.
Grammatical - Loadmaster whose every second word was effing.
Vick - Obnoxious Navigator who got up everybody's nose.

airsound
23rd Jun 2021, 10:51
I well remember a nice guy called Hampton-Chubb. Known as cocklock.

airsound

PaulH1
23rd Jun 2021, 11:43
When I joined the LTF at Binbrook, there were two of us on the course. The Squadron boss who had a dubious sense of humour, for some reason, named us Scunge and Bucket! Luckily they did not stick after we left the LTF!

SASless
23rd Jun 2021, 12:54
There was the fellow known as "The Black Sardine"....who when heard said in the Crew Room one morning that he had fallen from his roof and injured himself.....the voice from behind a newspaper quipped...."Nothing Minor I hope!".

Janda
23rd Jun 2021, 13:17
When in College captain of the rugby team was affectionally known as Dick! His name was Phil Enis.

The Oberon
23rd Jun 2021, 13:25
Question, all the Whites I knew in the RAF were Chalky. I had a couple of R.N. Mates who told me that in the R.N., Whites were called Knocker, why?

ACW599
23rd Jun 2021, 13:36
The erstwhile Group Captain at 2 FTS whose surname was the same as the maiden name of the next Queen was universally known as 'Pippa'. Apparently he hated it, which merely ensured its wider promulgation.

MPN11
23rd Jun 2021, 14:36
The erstwhile Group Captain at 2 FTS whose surname was the same as the maiden name of the next Queen was universally known as 'Pippa'. Apparently he hated it, which merely ensured its wider promulgation.
Yes, the more you complain the worse it gets!

A long-time colleague of mine (4 tours together) called Richard objected strongly to being called Dick It became such an issue that the Stn Cdr had, reportedly, referred to him as “Dick Richard”.

Farrell
23rd Jun 2021, 14:39
That's it!
I couldn't work out how to link a vid.
The one about The Clock is hilarious!

langleybaston
23rd Jun 2021, 15:44
Ah! yes, Polish gentlemen from the war, at Topcliffe c, 1966 on Varsities.
****slinger and Smackyourarse.

Acknowledge by a third Polish colleague as a very good approximation to pronunciation.

langleybaston
23rd Jun 2021, 15:47
Away from aircrew, the Headmaster of Guildford Royal Grammar School [this is hearsay, I may have the wrong school] was caller Noel.

Mr Fluck, of course.

old,not bold
23rd Jun 2021, 15:54
The chemistry teacher at my (boys only)secondary school was a short, plump, rather shy, self-effacing chap called Mr Grocock. Yes, really. "Mighty Mouse" was one of the kinder nicknames for him.

Arguably he was in the wrong profession; he committed suicide one night in the lab.

langleybaston
23rd Jun 2021, 15:58
The chemistry teacher at my (boys only)secondary school was a short, plump, rather shy, self-effacing chap called Mr Grocock. Yes, really. "Mighty Mouse" was one of the kinder nicknames for him.

Arguably he was in the wrong profession; he committed suicide one night in the lab.
He might have been nicknamed Spiro Agnew ........ anagram Grow a Penis.

sitigeltfel
23rd Jun 2021, 16:11
A radar tech known as "Norman". So called because of his massive hooter that went straight from the tip of his nose to his forehead without the bridge in between, resembling the helmet worn by medieval Normand soldiers. At times he would also be referred to as "Concorde"!

rolling20
23rd Jun 2021, 16:26
On my time on UWAS everyone was given a nickname,don't think many stuck though, apart from one person who is still known by it today.
I worked with a chap who had always done something better than you and he became known as Elevenerife.
If you had been to Tenerife, he was bound to go one better.

MATELO
23rd Jun 2021, 16:28
Semtex - Because they were so volatile.
Whippet - Did everything at one pace, slow.
Village - They acted like the Village Idiot.

rolling20
23rd Jun 2021, 16:29
A radar tech known as "Norman". So called because of his massive hooter that went straight from the tip of his nose to his forehead without the bridge in between, resembling the helmet worn by medieval Normand soldiers. At times he would also be referred to as "Concorde"!
I went to school with a chap who also had a big hooter. Around 1980 he became known as Nimrod!

BEagle
23rd Jun 2021, 18:30

You can blame me for that! I christened 'Pippa-the-fat-navigator and ex-co pilot' with that name, because when one thought of the actual and very shapely Pippa (ooh, that dress...), the comment was "What an ar$e!". The same was said of P-t-f-n, but for an entirely different reason!

vascodegama
23rd Jun 2021, 18:31
A certain exec in Norfolk was known as Janus. He once walked into the bar and found 2 pints waiting for him!

Ruffles
23rd Jun 2021, 19:02
RN pilot Surname Hands, nickname Fingers!

11Fan
23rd Jun 2021, 19:46
Up into our middle teens, my brother and I thought our names were God Dammit and Jesus Christ.

It was aways "God Dammit, get out of the middle of the street" or "Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with you?"

NutLoose
23rd Jun 2021, 20:16
My sister was disgusted when she found out we were calling her home town Cockermouth……. Knobagob

Cat Techie
23rd Jun 2021, 20:25
Bod. Beware of Fod? No, change the F to a B..

Wensleydale
23rd Jun 2021, 21:14
A certain AWACS rear crew person was known as "The Seagull" because in order to get them to fly you had to throw a brick at them....

ACW599
23rd Jun 2021, 21:58
You can blame me for that! I christened 'Pippa-the-fat-navigator and ex-co pilot' with that name, because when one thought of the actual and very shapely Pippa (ooh, that dress...), the comment was "What an ar$e!".

A sentiment with which almost the entire VGS movement would have wholeheartedly agreed.

oxenos
23rd Jun 2021, 22:33
1. "Ten Plank" Thick as two short planks.

2. Surname "Marks", nickname "Teeth".

Tom Sawyer
23rd Jun 2021, 23:34
Term for any suspect with a high opinion of themselves - FIGJAM - F*** I'm Good, Just Ask Me.

Senior Pilot
23rd Jun 2021, 23:57
I have merged four threads dating back to 2001, all with the same Thread Title. The early posts are well worth reading IMO 👍

Splot (another common RN nickname!)

Hydromet
24th Jun 2021, 00:02
One of my dad's drinking mates had a prominent nose and protruding teeth, which gave him a profile like his nickname, "Multigrip".
Had a Colonel known as Ringo because of his long hair, a Captain known as Flash because he wasn't and another Captain called Noddy for reasons unknown.

24th Jun 2021, 11:41
We nicknamed one poor soul 'Pico' ... after the PicoFarad (Unit of capacitance!)

...Because we were sure that's how his brain worked....1 thought...then you had to wait 10 minutes for it to charge up ready for the next!

Ewan Whosearmy
24th Jun 2021, 12:17
Some American ones that have stuck in my head:

TIKE - think I know everything
SPIN - shortest person in NATO
Mud Slide - had a 'physiological event' in the jet
Wedge - as in 'simplest tool in the box'
Sex - surname: Fraver
Coma - took red 'stop' pills instead of green 'go' pills on a CORONET EAST deployment
"Dopey", "Grumpy", "Doc", "Happy" etc.: names given the 'vertically challenged' initial cadre of F-15A instructor pilots who were collectively known as the Seven Dwarves
High Drag: had big ears
Getsno - not lucky with the ladies

ETOPS
24th Jun 2021, 12:24
Heard of a Truckie co-pilot named Sledge - usually pulled by dogs!

Video Mixdown
24th Jun 2021, 12:26
Aesthetically challenged female officer - Kwang, because that's the sound the shovel must have made.

skua
24th Jun 2021, 13:17
There is a post on Twitter showing a pic of Sqn Ldr L.G. Bastard rolling his Canberra B Mk6 over a very wintry looking Lincolnshire countryside in January 1956.

So the question is: what was his nickname?!

Null Orifice
24th Jun 2021, 14:33
One of my (many) nicknames was Snowy -as in Snow White- because I was taller at 5ft 8in than any of the engine men under my charge at the time. Thanks to the late Steve Powell for that one.

I was also called TC (Top Cat) for a while when at Changi - i have no idea where that came from.

One of my aforementioned dwarfs was known as Laughing Spam -as in fritter- usually abbreviated to Spam.

On that same posting our SENGO deservedly acquired the dual nicknames of The Laughing Backstabber / Smiler - The Smiling Knife.

pasta
24th Jun 2021, 17:03
I used to know a guy called Bonky, on account of his success with the ladies. Led to a rather awkward situation when a few of us ran into him some years later, because we'd all forgotten his real name. I hope his wife saw the funny side...

polecat2
24th Jun 2021, 22:22
There is a post on Twitter showing a pic of Sqn Ldr L.G. Bastard rolling his Canberra B Mk6 over a very wintry looking Lincolnshire countryside in January 1956.

So the question is: what was his nickname?!

He eventually became OC 617 Sqdn (Vulcans) and station commander of Cottesmore.

By all accounts he was a nice bloke and never had a nickname.

GGR155
25th Jun 2021, 10:33
Slightly off thread but worthy of a mention. I named my mother in law the Exocet. You knew she was coming but could do nothing about it 🤪
My father in law was known as the Exorcist, after he had visited all the spirits had gone 🤪

The Oberon
25th Jun 2021, 10:48
If we are drifting away to family names. A friend of mine always called his wife Special, which she liked and it went on for years. One day, she suddenly realized that her maiden name had been Kneads, no more special from then on.

LowObservable
25th Jun 2021, 13:28
The late (and missed) Lex Lafon told the story of a Navy pilot named Seaman, who was saddled with an obvious call sign.

Until, one day, four jets were doing ACM over the Central Valley. One pilot had no targets in sight and a friendly right ahead of him, and communicated the situation thus:

"I'm blind. I've got Sperm on my nose".

Comms disintegrated in an avalanche of snorts and guffaws and it was only one pilot who retained enough composure to yell "knock it off" before the situation became dangerous.

The callsign changed to Spurt. Much later, the pilot was selected for the Blues, and for PR reasons became Sport.

I had an ex-USAF boss named Hawkeye. At the academy, he and another cadet were supposed to make a pre-game parachute jump into the center of the football field. He didn't miss the center. He missed the stadium.

SLXOwft
25th Jun 2021, 19:02
Question, all the Whites I knew in the RAF were Chalky. I had a couple of R.N. Mates who told me that in the R.N., Whites were called Knocker, why?

I have heard three explanations:
1) Like many RN nicknames it derives from a once famous boxer, in this case called Knocker White due to the number of opponents he KOed.
2) Prospective customers of a certain dhobi shack were assured by the inhabitant of Chinese origin that he would knock their clothes white.
3) A miller's assistant was known as a knocker white because they were often covered in flour dust. Given the precarious and seasonal nature of their employment many ended up joining the Andrew and the name of the trade stuck.

I'm sure there are more.

albatross
25th Jun 2021, 19:29
One of my (many) nicknames was Snowy -as in Snow White- because I was taller at 5ft 8in than any of the engine men under my charge at the time. Thanks to the late Steve Powell for that one.

I was also called TC (Top Cat) for a while when at Changi - i have no idea where that came from.

One of my aforementioned dwarfs was known as Laughing Spam -as in fritter- usually abbreviated to Spam.

On that same posting our SENGO deservedly acquired the dual nicknames of The Laughing Backstabber / Smiler - The Smiling Knife.

FYI Top Cat was an American cartoon series wherein “Top Cat is the leader of a group of alley cats, always trying to cheat someone.” Google it for more info.

dragartist
26th Jun 2021, 19:51
FYI Top Cat was an American cartoon series wherein “Top Cat is the leader of a group of alley cats, always trying to cheat someone.” Google it for more info.
A guy I worked with had the cartoon character Top Cat on his office door. He liked to be known as TC. He did not realise those around him knew his as That Cnut Smith. His name was not really smith but I use it, probably because he does not realise to this day. And yes he was!

American Herc pilot assigned to a project I was working on was known as Syph. His real name was Phillis. His oppo was known as Shrek. the resemblance was uncanny.

MAINJAFAD
26th Jun 2021, 20:07
Bloke I work with at the minute is known as Ammo. Should have been fired long ago.

albatross
26th Jun 2021, 20:24
Had a very nice guy who showed up. “Hi my name is Richard but most people just call me Dick.”
Next week another guy shows up. “My name is Richard!”
A few days later someone called him Dick.
Corrective quickly and loudly given “My name is Richard not Dick and you will call me Richard!”
So there after we had “Dick no Richard” and a very unhappy “Richard no Dick”.

teeteringhead
27th Jun 2021, 09:50
albatross

Reminds me of a guy I knew called Richard Firmston-Williams. On arrival on the Squadron he announced that: "I'm usually called Firm-Willy".

Thereafter (of course) he was known as "Slack Dick"......

lsh
27th Jun 2021, 17:37
albatross

Reminds me of a guy I knew called Richard Firmston-Williams. On arrival on the Squadron he announced that: "I'm usually called Firm-Willy".

Thereafter (of course) he was known as "Slack Dick"......

He certainly was!

lsh

Rigga
27th Jun 2021, 19:08
On joining 78sqn at MPA, many moons ago, a fellow Cpl introduced himself to me as follows: "Aye Marra, me name's Boggy, they calls me that cuz ahm alles in the Sh1te".

...and it was true.

etudiant
27th Jun 2021, 19:57
There should be a management study on nicknames, because they often seem so cruelly accurate appraisals of the individuals involved.

Nolongerin
27th Jun 2021, 20:02
I know I’ve posted this before but it’s perhaps worth a rehash.

Dave Two Sh**s always thought his knickname was because he was a ‘bit of a lad ‘ who didn’t go give two sh**s…, He didn’t know it was because he was a massive tale topper, - if you had one sh**, he’d had two,

Dave McInerny was always known as Three Heads.

Thread drift. Friend had a black cat named Snowy and a white cat named Ginger.

Stitchbitch
28th Jun 2021, 06:45
There once was a USMC exchange pilot known as Droopy (ancient cartoon character) due to his facial expressions. 'Tiny' the worlds biggest armourer and chap called 'Bungalow' because there was nothing upstairs.

kintyred
28th Jun 2021, 09:44
A girl at school broke one of her front teeth and was thereafter known as Juanita

Rigga
28th Jun 2021, 13:55
I have a brother that my daughters call "Uncle Eleven" - If we'd been to Tenerife, he'd been to Eleven-erife!

longer ron
29th Jun 2021, 07:17
. His oppo was known as Shrek. the resemblance was uncanny.

One of our (Hangar) Stores 'Ladies' was nicknamed 'Shrek' - she was fairly grotesque - and useless,she quite often would say ''no we do not have any of those in stock'' - so I would often go into stores and go to the location where the item was sitting on the shelf - pick the item up and say to her ''If you don't have any in stock then I will not have to book this one out'' :) - sad really LOL

NutLoose
29th Jun 2021, 09:14
We used to have a Waaf they called the three minute warning, not the prettiest thing, but the only game in town if the world turned to poo.

Dunhovrin
29th Jun 2021, 13:00
albatross

Never trust a man who gives himself his own nickname.

Willard Whyte
29th Jun 2021, 20:04
Never trust a man who gives himself his own nickname.

Normally because their given one was so bad...

enicalyth
4th Jul 2021, 10:49
Ah yes..

Deeply unpleasant man down south surname D***** preferred "Evespan" because Adam delved and Eve span. Ha ha. No Cedric, you were always "Clubman" to us because you were the Perfect Country Member. Ah yes, I remember......

Then there was Kay-Squared for knock knees. Naval chap who wore shorts that stayed still while his legs waggled to and fro..

Para regt guy "Juno" because his opening words were "D'you know etc etc"

TAPSATAS,,,, as in TAPS but with "And Twice as Strong" added

Fella by the name of Patches or was it Tatters, anyway he was "Rags" obviously..

Job Centre... "Sits vacant". Took me a while to get that one.

And Greta, for Greta Garbo, Aussie slang for garbage collector.

SASless
29th Nov 2022, 12:52
In my Chinook Unit you earned your Call Sign and once assigned said name you learned to live with it with protests of any kind only making it used in every conversation as often as possible.

Usually they were not flattering to the recipient as they mostly dealt with some act that drew attention to them for some reason that was a bit embarrassing to the name holder.

There was no Appeal Right....you got tagged and that was it.

gums
29th Nov 2022, 14:49
Salute!

Thanks, SaS....

I always thot the rotorheads were a little strange, but could take a joke when we pimped them about trusting a plane that rotated its wings to get lift instead of simply going fast.

My first one was initial tour at Bien Hoa, 1967, and was "Boy Wonder". I was youngest pilot, had some good missions and debriefs went public, so flight commander annointed me. Second was "Doo Doo" during Sluf years at Thailand and The Beach. Then came "Gatlin' Gums" due to radio talk, and the beat goes on.

We had very poor ones in 'nam, and they cannot be revealed here... heh heh.
==================
I also recall "stag bars" that USAF disposed maybe 30 years ago or more. Last one I recall was at Nellis in mid-80's. The most non-PC, non-woke one was "The Nail Hole" at NKP late 60's/early 70's. It was the primary water hole for the special ops Fac's, and the criteria for a female to have unrestricted access was imprinting her spray painted butts on the ceiling!

Oh well, as long as we are still cold-blooded triggermen for the Queen or CINC, we may just survive this awakening.....

Gums sends...

gums
29th Nov 2022, 21:09
Salute!

Times have changed. And while the RAF folks here are talking about "inclusion" and such WRT the females..., USAF has had the gals around for many years, starting in the 70's, and then letting the gals fly fighters by mid-90's.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/air-force-fighter-pilot-mom/

I kinda wonder what some of their tactical callsigns were. First T-bird gal was a Mudhen pilot and shorter than me! She was "Fifi". Then was the famous Hawg dirver that came back in reversion mode with lottsa holes in the jet - "Killer Chick"( Kim Campbell). Was she offended?

Gums sends...

212man
29th Nov 2022, 22:02
If I’m not mistaken, the first BFT course with female students had their course badge with the slogan “20% flaps”!

SpazSinbad
29th Nov 2022, 22:18
RAAF No.202 Pilot Course Badge and RAN FAA Pilot graduated. Famous UK firm also known as. :}

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1218x1050/virginonridiculous202pilotcoursebadge_07aab2436a61362ab72844 0eba8f273e5941b283.jpg

Lonewolf_50
30th Nov 2022, 00:37
RAAF No.202 Pilot Course Badge and RAN FAA Pilot graduated. Famous UK firm also known as. :} That's a HEEDS bottle she's wearing, I suspect that she is a helicopter pilot.
For gums: that means "unrestricted aviator" since we can fly backwards if need be. ;)

There was a Lt(jg) Bates in our wing who was, predictably, given the call sign of Master.

gums
30th Nov 2022, 01:26
Salute!

That's a good one Wolfie re: Master, ... and the folks at Hill used a similar theme for their female demo pilot - Beo ( bay-oh).

Well, I am worried we will not get back to having a good sense of humor and if very "sensitive" folks are upset, let them find another line of work.

Gums sends...

megan
30th Nov 2022, 01:30
That's a HEEDS bottle she's wearing, I suspect that she is a helicopter pilotShe is a Navy lass (epaulets) and they only have helos, no FW, that's RAAF territory, who have no helos.

BBadanov
30th Nov 2022, 02:39
Salute!
My first one was initial tour at Bien Hoa, 1967, and was "Boy Wonder". I was youngest pilot, had some good missions and debriefs went public, so flight commander annointed me. Second was "Doo Doo" during Sluf years at Thailand and The Beach. Then came "Gatlin' Gums" due to radio talk, and the beat goes on.
We had very poor ones in 'nam, and they cannot be revealed here... heh heh.
Gums sends...

Gums mentions SVN. Back in the day, the VNAF attack a/c (Spads, A-37s, F-5s) had great, punchy callsigns. I remember "Dragon White" and "Phoenix Amber".
Then in 1970, as part of "Vietnamisation", the USAF allocated awful USofA state names as VNAF FAC callsigns.
Imagine these poor little fxxckers trying to get their mouths around names like "Colorado", and "Mississippi".

Ascend Charlie
30th Nov 2022, 03:16
One of the RAN chopper pilots was known as the Cruel Shepherd, as he had apparently been caught beating his mutton.

A pilot with the surname of Fatt was known as Cracker.

A rescue pilot who came home after a rather low run along a beach with metres of fishing line wrapped around the mast and the sinkers making a weird noise, was known as Snapper.

Heatseeker
30th Nov 2022, 04:00
Rumour has it that there was a cargo loader on the base who was called PERRY MASON. Reason was that he only handled one case a week. :-(

Haraka
30th Nov 2022, 05:00
A superb SAAF fast jet pilot ( and lovely guy) of the"african" persuasion some years ago :

"Midnight"

BBadanov
30th Nov 2022, 05:22
A superb SAAF fast jet pilot ( and lovely guy) of the"african" persuasion some years ago :

"Midnight"

Similar to the backseater in Top Gun 1, "Sundown".

B Fraser
30th Nov 2022, 08:34
I'm an outsider in all of this but am enjoying the thread. I heard about a chap who had a deformed leg, causing him to rock from side to side when he walked. He was known as "The Sniper's Nightmare".

A good mate of mine is called Richard and is a cardiologist. He's known as Dicky Ticker. Another chum who frequents this forum has the surname Ware. One wag started calling him "Tupper".

charliegolf
30th Nov 2022, 12:49
Similar to the backseater in Top Gun 1, "Sundown".

Believe he died this week, in his 60's. Did a spell as a flight cadet at the Academy before leaving/being chopped.

langleybaston
30th Nov 2022, 19:04
I dare to resurrect:

Not nicknames as such but, over a short period, the Met Office of only about 2500 bodies had at least one each of :

Gale
Snow
Waterfall
Wind
Frost
Flood
Hales

And a good friend, great fun, answered phone with either "S Met O YES"! or "Duty Forecaster YES!" depending on which role he was occupying.

Not in the same class as "Station Farm, Duty Pig!" after an eructation or flatus.

Union Jack
30th Nov 2022, 21:05

"Midnight"
Whatever happened to 23, short for 2359?

Jack

Null Orifice
1st Dec 2022, 08:42
Once had a boss who was somewhat two-faced and was known to members of one shift as LB (Laughing Backstabber).
The opposite shift used their own variation SN (Smiling Knife).

SASless
1st Dec 2022, 11:48
I once got tagged with "Moon" and had nothing to do with the Lunar Orb.

megan
2nd Dec 2022, 02:33
One of the RAN chopper pilots was known as the Cruel Shepherd, as he had apparently been caught beating his muttonShow me a male who doesn't AC, on the other hand, mutton does need beating to tenderise before cooking, we only use it in stews. ;)

langleybaston
2nd Dec 2022, 17:27
The headmaster of a noted Grammar school was nicknamed Noel.

Mr Fluck

That's what a grammar school education does for you.