PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames

Pages : 1 [2] 3

WASALOADIE
24th Oct 2012, 12:57
There was a Loadie leader who was vertically challenged who was known as Hubcap as he wasnt big enough to be a wheel.

dkh51250
24th Oct 2012, 13:06
Worked with a guy some years ago nicknamed "007". It turned out to be his IQ.

BEagle
24th Oct 2012, 14:03
"Oi, give me the f***ing drift, bitch!"

Epic CRM! But having met the woman, it was undoubtedly justified.

Some 1312 Flt Herc mates flew one low level trip in the South Atlantic with a guest from the VC10K crew observing. He came back wetting himself with laughter - every time she'd piped up with some inane commentary as they bumbled along, the operating pilot just replied "La la la. Not listening, not interested!".

Wretched woman also deleted the 'Show me Goldie' screensaver from the 1312 Flt crewroom computer....:mad:

charliegolf
24th Oct 2012, 14:18
There was a Loadie leader who was vertically challenged who was known as Hubcap as he wasnt big enough to be a wheel.

LSB?

CG

TwoTunnels
24th Oct 2012, 14:39
From ISK...

FSB- Fat Smelly Bastard
TFO- Table For One
FIAT- Fraser Is A Tw@t

I may be able to think of some more soon...

FantomZorbin
24th Oct 2012, 15:03
Jigsaw ... apply pressure and it all falls to bits!!

1.3VStall
24th Oct 2012, 15:19
There was a Flight Sergeant on the OCU at Coningsby many years ago :whose surname was Gee. The troops used to call him "Effy".:O

david parry
24th Oct 2012, 15:30
FDO on the Victorious, known as TEN to TWO.... Only had to watch him walk or stand next to the Cat at launch;)

30mRad
24th Oct 2012, 16:23
ExAscoteer, BEagle

Many thanks for sorting the truth! Still as funny, and I'd heard of her other similar exploits too!

Cheers

Roger the cabin boy
24th Oct 2012, 18:16
Then there was the helo Crewman who was known as "Kipper", because he was gutless, spineless, two-faced and yellow.

olddog
24th Oct 2012, 19:21
BMADAITY

Buy me a drink and I'll tell you!

Lincolnshire Poacher
24th Oct 2012, 19:32
Following on from TwoTunnel's

FIAT- Fraser Is A Tw@t

He was joioned by a new, slightly shorter nav who was soon to be called 'Cinquicento' because he was 'a little FIAT'!

HamishDylan
24th Oct 2012, 19:45
In similar vein to Leatherman, 'Gerber' because he was complete tool.

And the ugliest officer on the Sqn = TDF

As ugly as Two Dogs F**king!

Kengineer-130
24th Oct 2012, 22:11
Earth- Zero Potential,how true.

Lava lamp- nice to look at but useless.

Klunk- A rarther Scottish FS who tended to speak in ultrasound, grunts & whistles, off the cartoon catch the pigeon... Made rarther more amusing when the said FS asked the whole crew room who this Klunk chap was as he had never met him!

Opium- Slow working dope

Dome light-( one for the Herc mates) You had to bash him with a broom to make him work.

Many more that escape me at the moment.

NutLoose
24th Oct 2012, 22:42
Guinness... Was dark skinned strangely with light ginger hair.

elbarno
24th Oct 2012, 23:29
One young lad was nicknamed ten gauge which I didn't understand until one of the workshop guys explained to me that ten gauge was a metal that was very difficult to work with,and another lad in the same section seemed to have a rather pointy head and he was nicknamed drop tank.

WASALOADIE
25th Oct 2012, 05:52
Yes

Little S**t B*LL*S

just another jocky
25th Oct 2012, 06:31
Ex-Boss of 17(F) many years ago......Mansa (Man's a cu.....you know the rest).

Keymaster (from the Ghostbuster movie).

There are more but the memory is not what it used to be. :(

Just This Once...
25th Oct 2012, 07:06
'Pang' was a dead ringer for her nickname - is she still in?

lj101
25th Oct 2012, 07:32
Yes she is... And a very respected operator too.

Flatiron
25th Oct 2012, 07:48
I went through advanced pilot training with Wappy Tupper and I flew with 'Crash' Elmett on 543. But my fondest memory is of the QHI who was such a hit with the ladies that he was known as Spunk Trumpet. I wonder where Dick Head is nowadays?

OldAgeandTreachery
25th Oct 2012, 12:35
ISK late 70's
NLS shifts had two Crew Chiefs as controllers,Line and Rects.
Ours were called Orak and Zen: The all knowing computer and the one who overrode him. Blake's Seven was popular then.

scorpion63
25th Oct 2012, 12:48
Met him at a Yeovilton Airday a few years back proudly wearing his name badge for all to see!! Was instructing at Shawbury then.

Courtney Mil
25th Oct 2012, 12:52
I wonder where Dick Head is nowadays?

Or due to his habit of correcting people that called him Dick, 'Dick call me Richard'. What were his parents thinking? Maybe they didn't like him.

teeteringhead
25th Oct 2012, 14:03
HTB I recall Darkie Holroyd from Church Fenton, second half of 1969, when I passed through there on a HSP course (forget the number); .. which is where I met him, when (stangely for a crab[fat]) I was on 141 HSP. Unbelievably ;) the RAF were tinkering with flying training then and thought something like the HSP (75 hrs Chipmunk) followed by straight onto the JP 4 :eek: might be a good idea ...... but then they also thought checking fuel downwind in a Chippy at night with a right-angled torch to see the gauges in the wings was a good idea :eek::eek:

Courtney

Turning to Ric Head, he once told me that an ancestor (cavalier??) Sir Richard Head had been wrongfully executed, and his last words - for some reason - were to put a curse on the family if there weren't a "Richard" in his memory in every succeeding generation ......

Probably BS, but I always was gullible :8

QTRZulu
25th Oct 2012, 16:42
A few more from the Kipper fleet that immediately spring to mind;

EMU - Fat bird that can't fly.
FUD - ##cking Useless Dryman.

Now where is Flaunt??

Rigga
25th Oct 2012, 19:39
"Or due to his habit of correcting people that called him Dick, 'Dick call me Richard'. What were his parents thinking? Maybe they didn't like him. "

Not Military and not a nickname: My Brother in law is "John Thomas"

Onceapilot
25th Oct 2012, 19:56
jaj

Keymaster is still aviating for HM, I believe.

Mend em
25th Oct 2012, 20:06
Channel 5 - cos around here receptions really bad on Channel 5.

Kengineer-130
25th Oct 2012, 21:08
A civvy contractor I worked with became known as "sexy fingers"...

Not because she was tidy, but everything she touched on the aircraft ended up f**ked.. :}

AdrianShaftsworthy
26th Oct 2012, 08:59
Steph the Death.........................BAAAAAAH!

sled dog
26th Oct 2012, 09:54
Not military, but several years ago there was a bloke at BA called Richard Standing who answered his phone with a loud " Dick Standing , what can i do for you ".....

SOSL
26th Oct 2012, 11:33
Vince McInerney. A highly skilled Chf Tech at a smallish basic flying training school in Yorkshire was known as "the three irishmen". You only had to hear his accent.

Rgds SOS

MRAF
26th Oct 2012, 11:37
NASA was a good one for a clueless American colleague.

N/A on the S.A.

glum
26th Oct 2012, 12:21
I had a chief known as Oberon - King of the fairies.

And I'm surprised BOBFOC hasn't cropped up yet - Body off Baywatch, face off Crimewatch...

Top Bunk Tester
26th Oct 2012, 14:22
I don't care what anyone says but Pang, Drift Bitch and Milk Shake were all lovely girls, one that hasn't been mentioned though was 'Banner' ..... always a long way behind the aircraft. Also 'Twin Peaks' which is fairly self explanatory :}

Doctor Cruces
26th Oct 2012, 20:41
When I was at LyE, people used to refer to "Jacuzzi Suzie". Couldn't find out who or why. I know "who" is off limits, but anyone know why??

Thanks

Doc C

Canadian Break
26th Oct 2012, 21:15
A certain Air Traffiker at Linton in the 1980-81 time frame? If so, I can tell you how she got the nickname!:E

Shack37
26th Oct 2012, 21:25
A great thread for officers (possibly junior and immature) but not fulfilling the criteria for gentlemen.
Any more WRAF conquests chaps?

Maxibon
26th Oct 2012, 23:06
I'm sure there was a holding girlie at Coningsby back in the 90s called Wuba - woman used by all.

I had a trooper in my squadron who's surname was Titcomb, he was called Pearl.

And a chap in nav trg called Swiss Army Knife - a tool for every occasion!

Thax
27th Oct 2012, 01:49
Very boyish looking trainee pilot nicknamed 'Phoetus' (which stuck throughout his RNZAF career), followed a few years later by an even younger looking pilot who became 'Embryo'.

My last two students while on exchange with the RAAF were a naval officer nick-named 'Ivor' Smallhorn and an attractive young lady, Heidi 'Sausage'.

olddog
27th Oct 2012, 09:10
There was an unfortunate young lady called Denise who worked in SHQ at Acklington in the late 60s. She suffered from terrible acne and was known as Disease!

NutLoose
27th Oct 2012, 11:37
There was another young lady at another Wiltshire base was nicknamed VeeDub... Was something to do with her tight white jeans and the resulting beetle bonnet effect.. :E

Trim Stab
27th Oct 2012, 12:07
Trooper Hadcock in my squadron was known by all as "Azzy".

Union Jack
27th Oct 2012, 15:00
A great thread for officers (possibly junior and immature) but not fulfilling the criteria for gentlemen.
Any more WRAF conquests chaps?

Fully agree with your first sentence, Shack37, whilst, so far as the second is concerned, it would be good to hear more nicknames the ladies may have applied to male officers, whether junior and immature, or otherwise.:ok:

Jack

Maxibon
27th Oct 2012, 19:55
Hello, Mrs Maxibon here. In my women's auxiliary balloon corps squadron we had a chap called Union Jack who was a bit too preachy and too big for his boots so we called him "Pie Us" Jack...

Union Jack
28th Oct 2012, 10:43
Very funny, Maxibonne ..... and nice to have some input from a transexual!:ok:

Jack

PS Always good to get a tug, especially in the very next post:)

ShyTorque
28th Oct 2012, 11:21
Not a crewroom nickname but I once knew a joiner, surnamed Mycock.
His first name was Aaron.

One of the best names I saw at an air display, where many wore spoof name badges, was an RAF pilot with a name badge annotated "Richard Head". Very good, very subtle, I thought. Unfortunately for him, as I found out later, that was his real name.

There's one regular poster here who used to wear the name badge "Walter Wall-Carpitz", or similar.

In the early 1980s, 230 (Puma) Sqn moved to West Germany. As part of staff familiarisation training we had to fly our aircraft down the inner German border, with a British Frontier Service adviser on board, to ensure that crews knew what the border actually looked like and didn't accidentally cross. We landed close by the western side of the fence for a further briefing by the BFS officer. Very soon afterwards, armed troops arrived on the eastern side of the fence in a 4 tonne truck. One of them appeared through a hatch in the roof of the cab, equipped with a camera fitted with a huge telephoto lens, to take photos of us all, presumably for the KGB records.

Many of us were wearing our false "Air display" name badges for this very eventuality. I often wonder what actually went on record. ;)

"Comrades, I have some bad news. It appears that Ivor Biggun has defected to the west!"

BEagle
28th Oct 2012, 11:59
One of the best names I saw at an air display, where many wore spoof name badges, was an RAF pilot with a name badge annotated "Richard Head". Very good, very subtle, I thought. Unfortunately for him, as I found out later, that was his real name.

He was a 35 Sqn captain in the late '70s and later became a well-known helicopter instructor. An excellent chap as many will undoubtedly confirm!

A couple of years ago, he came to the Wellesbourne Mountford Wings and Wheels day in some black and yellow peril. Later in the day, he made his apologies as he had to get back to whence he came before it closed. "Are you off to crank up and leg it then, Rick?", I asked him. "No - one has a competent NCO for that sort of thing", he replied with a grin, before turning to his pongo NCO student and directing "Boy - go and warm up the old bus, will you - I'll be with you presently!". But in his inimitably jocular manner, of course!

Noting some of the less gentlemanly comments in this thread, I can only think how lucky I was that all the female aircrew on the squadrons to which I belonged were very nice people who were good at their jobs. Even if they hadn't starred during training, they always strove to improve - something which I'd noticed as a UAS QFI. If you said to one of the male students "That was an average trip", he'd merely think that it was good enough and would then spend the night in the pub. Say the same thing to one of the female students and they'd work at it to do better next time - so were generally a pleasure to instruct. Plus they washed their flying suits more often!

airborne_artist
28th Oct 2012, 12:57
A certain Herefordian passed Selection at a very young age, and looked younger, so picked up the name Pup. When he made WO2 he was re-named Rover ;)

NutLoose
28th Oct 2012, 14:07
There was an SAC Vere i worked with long ago, his father was named Percy by his grandad as he apparently took a while to come along.

longer ron
28th Oct 2012, 15:26
We had a guy at Brawdy - surname was Barth (he pronounced it Bart !!)...
Anyway he hated being called 'Plug'...so guess what :)

Ogre
29th Oct 2012, 01:56
The surname "Rogers" (or even "Rodgers") could always raise some good nicknames, there was "Roy" for the older generation who were into cowboy films, "Ginger" has been heard but may have been a reference to something else, but back in the 80's the most common was "Buck"

We had a "Buck" Rogers, who was quite tall, wavy hair, outgoing personality, and took great delight in his nickname. Unfortunately his boss was of lesser stature and had a bit of a shuffle, and would not be pleased to hear himself referred to as Twiki (pronounced "Tweaky")

Rigga
29th Oct 2012, 17:06
LoL!
I remember a Tweaky, exactly for those reasons, as a Sengo on 7 Sqn quite some years ago.
(If he's still in, he's possibly an VSO with a Napoleon complex - No! I don't know if he's in or not)

Bob Viking
29th Oct 2012, 17:20
Not a nickname as such but I once sat down for a meal at Furstenfeldbruck Officers Mess opposite a young German Officer Cadet whose name badge announced his name as 'Wank' (pronounced Vonk). I struggled to make eye contact all night and never did explain to him why I kept smiling!
BV;)

ShyTorque
29th Oct 2012, 17:41
A certain RAF helicopter pilot surname of Rogers had a habit of telling everyone how good he was at the Chinese language. He became known as "Loy"

As in Loy Logers...

---------------------------

Viking Bob, ever thought that the letter V in "Viking" might be pronounced as an "F" by a German? Then it's quite close to a German swear word, also... :p

SOSL
29th Oct 2012, 19:04
99 entry B Sqn at RAF C Cranwell - very first muster parade.

Sgt Rodda: "Listen to me gentlemen - I will call out your name and if you are present please say "here Sgt" in a loud voice so I can hear you. If you are not present please say nothing" (I promise you that is what he said to us!).

Adams.........Here Sgt

etc
etc

Upritchard (pronounced by Rodda as UP Richard)...... "Actually, Sgt its prononced Ewe Pritchard

Sgt Rodda: "Listen to me gentlemen - I will call out your name and if you are present please say "here Sgt" in a loud voice so I can hear you. If you are not present please say nothing".

Adams.........Here Sgt

etc
etc

Up Richard....................Here Sgt

He was known as Up Richard for the rest of his time at the College of Knowledge.

Rgds SOS

teeteringhead
29th Oct 2012, 19:57
One seems to remember a certain Uprichard (perhaps the same?), who was known as UpDick.

SOSL
29th Oct 2012, 20:24
Possibly - I couldn't say.

BEagle
29th Oct 2012, 20:27
I certainly recall the genial 'Uncle' Les Rodda, wonderful chap that he was, but don't remember any 'Uprichard' on 99'B'. Maybe he was one of those who escaped to University in the first few weeks?

Uncle Les was an RAF Regt Sgt and perhaps not the brightest chap in the world and his fatherly direction saw us through the stumbles of our early days... I'll never forget how he came down to the SBL at the end of our first term, to find that 4 of us had been let down by the taxi which was supposed to be taking us to Grantham station - so Les immediately gave us all a lift in his private car. Such a kind gesture and much appreciated.

One early morning, he spots a slightly diminutive Flt Cdt...OK, it was 'Stumpy', slightly out of the required drill position on the hallowed JMPG....

"Mr. (Stumpy), sir - you're out of proportion!"

Cue much laughter - even from Stumpy!

Duncan D'Sorderlee
29th Oct 2012, 23:27
If the aforementioned Uprichard was a Hunter pilot who became the chief Plod, then I had the honour to be the obedient servant of my Stn Cdr for getting pissed and eating his chicken tikka and chips!

In my defence, I was hungry and he had chicken tikka and chips.

Duncs:ok:

Haraka
30th Oct 2012, 04:48
Who whilst losing a bar argument with a less vertically challenged 99er ( Rog E.) tried to sidestep defeat by declaring that it was pointless continuing with the discussion as both parties were obviously talking at different levels.

sitigeltfel
30th Oct 2012, 07:14
One seems to remember a certain Uprichard (perhaps the same?), who was known as UpDick.

There was an Uprichard on the Victor tanker fleet back in the 70s. Went on to be OC Waddington then an Air Commodore IIRC?

abra
30th Oct 2012, 08:42
In BA/BEA many years ago there was another Richard. Richard Twomey was known as 'Strapper'...

BEagle
30th Oct 2012, 08:48
If indeed there was a Uprichard on 99B, it certainly wasn't the Norn Irn born ex-Hunter, ex-Victor chap who many recall as OC 101 Sqn and later Stn Cdr of RAF Waddington! And who's probably reading this - Morning, Jim!!

See PORTADOWN COLLEGE ALUMNI (http://www.angelstarbrides.com/pc-alumni/notable-alumni/jim-uprichard-raf.html) which includes his photo as Chief Plod!

Yeller_Gait
30th Oct 2012, 10:53
TLC- and nothing to do with tender loving care!

That Little ...... Chap perhaps?

Y_G

teeteringhead
30th Oct 2012, 11:32
On reflection I think he might be he who became Chief Plod. It may have been him - certainly was a Chief Plod - who told me of his unique piece of uniform.

When Plod officers used to have APM (Assistant Provost Marshal) on their armbands, Chief Plod had PM on his. As I was was told: "Not even a 4* has a badge all to himself"

But now they are all RAFP, probably including the Chief Plod. O tempora, o mores .....:(

Edited because I can't type - thanks Jcak!

Wwyvern
30th Oct 2012, 13:49
I remember a Cadet Pilot Uprichard on QUAS in the early 1960s. He was known to the instructors as "Downdick".

Glad to see he went on to greater things.

Union Jack
30th Oct 2012, 14:50
But now they are all RAFP, probably including the Chief Plod. O temepra, o mores ....

Or even, as Cicero may have said, O tempora o mores .... :=

Jack

teeteringhead
30th Oct 2012, 16:12
mea culpa mea culpa, mea maxima culpa ... fat fingered typing Jack I'm afraid - will amend! :ok:

But was it not Cicero who also said:

Est proprium stultitić aliorum vitia cernere, oblivisci suorum.

:ok::ok: - no offence intended .......;);)

Union Jack
30th Oct 2012, 18:08
Teeteringhead

Classic (pun intended) and I only wish I knew the Latin for "O Teeteringhead, you are a one"!:ok:

Jack

BEagle
30th Oct 2012, 20:02
When Plod officers used to have APM (Assistant Provost Marshal) on their armbands....

No, the reason for 'APM' was in case they couldn't remember what their job was after having lunch. It stood for A PoliceMan.....:(

Mind how you go, sir....:\

diginagain
31st Oct 2012, 06:10
I have some sympathy for a young Cornish lass who joined the Army recently. Her surname? Trebilcock.

27mm
31st Oct 2012, 07:30
Reminds me of the schoolteachers in RAFG, otherwise known as "toolscreechers".....;)

Barksdale Boy
31st Oct 2012, 08:39
Many of us know "Animal". Was anyone better nicknamed? Of course people tend to forget that he went about shaven-headed in 1970. Talk about a trendsetter!

26er
31st Oct 2012, 17:36
Why do you call yourself 27mm? Was it worn down by a "tooley"?

1.3VStall
31st Oct 2012, 21:35
diginagain,

I make no apologies for the thread drift, but your post reminds me of a footballer, Mike Trebilcock, who scored twice for Everton in their 3-2 FA Cup Final win over Sheffield Wednesday in 1966 (yes I know I'm showing my age). The joke on Merseyside afterwards, was that in celebration, he married the Beverley Sisters!

Back to the thread - do people remember when UpDick appeared on Jim'll fix it? Jim, take two paces sideways to distance yourself from him!!!:)

BEagle
31st Oct 2012, 21:52
Many of us know "Animal". Was anyone better nicknamed?

Nope!

Saw him at the Winthorpe V-force reunion earlier in the year - he doesn't seem to have changed a bit!

Good to see how many hard-drinking, fag smoking, jockstrapping averse V-bomber aircrew were still in excellent form and enjoying life.

Arm out the window
1st Nov 2012, 00:34
A few more Aussie ones:

Bloke of surname Ward nicknamed Warthog, so when a younger Ward turns up at the same squadron he gets Piglet.

Spew (prone to airsickness in his early flying days),

Loadmaster called Phantom because he was hardly ever at work,

'Discrepancy', now a rather well known A380 captain whose surname sounds not unlike the nickname,

'Slops' Hislop, another loady

bloke named Stu, nickname 'Pid'

too many to list

course_profile
1st Nov 2012, 08:32
One from a transport sqn.

I once heard one of the Co-Pilots described as "The submarine Co". This stemmed from the fact that

1. He only surfaced every 6 months

2. He was massive and no one ever knew where he was.

Not sure it was once those 'to your face' nicknames.

high spirits
1st Nov 2012, 11:41
There is a Sqn Ldr Ward still serving.

Nickname 'odger'.....

NutLoose
1st Nov 2012, 12:19
We had three Marks on the Chinook OCU early on so they were naturally referred to as Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3... The RAF decided to do some recruiting posters and did some air to air sessions with the Chinook, then printed up the new posters and sent a sample for us to see, clear as day written in the exhaust staining on the back end of the fuselage was Mk3, ( who was a sooty ) the posters I believe we're scrapped :E

30mRad
1st Nov 2012, 13:05
The 3 Marks story reminds me of a chap who was known as Westie. Apparently there were 2 people with the same surname on his flying training course: once from Glasgow, the other from Edinburgh. The instructors named them Eastie and Westie. Westie is still in, not sure about Eastie?

peppermint_jam
1st Nov 2012, 13:50
There was a rather large Ops officer in the late 90's that was nicknamed FAITH, Fattest Arse In The Hangar.

Funny times, especially when people actually though that was her name...

"Why does everyone call me that......?"

SOSL
1st Nov 2012, 15:20
Who remembers Wildpig?

Rgds SOS

27mm
1st Nov 2012, 15:24
One of my colleagues at 4FTS a long time ago - he had a gorgeous Red Setter by the name of 'Tasha - Wildpig was a sterling bloke

SOSL
1st Nov 2012, 15:28
Sterling bloke indeed - and a beautiful Setter. He held a sword in the air at my wedding in Forfar - Wildpig not the Setter. Later on I watched him playing Polo in Happy Valley at Epi.

Rgds SOS

teeteringhead
1st Nov 2012, 15:42
There was a rather large Ops officer in the late 90's that was nicknamed FAITH, Fattest Arse In The Hangar.

Funny times, especially when people actually though that was her name...

"Why does everyone call me that......?" ... there was a young lady who worked in the Governor's Office in the Falklands once, who was physically quite the opposite - very Pippa M-esque in fact.

She was known as Fiona - Falkland Islands Only Nice Arse - and some people also thought it was her real name ...... :E

ACW599
1st Nov 2012, 17:50
>Who remembers Wildpig?<

That sounds like the one and only David Wildridge -- another famous UWAS personage of the early 1970s. "Pardon the growth", anyone?

Wander00
1st Nov 2012, 19:40
TTH - I remeber THAT FIONA!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Nov 2012, 20:10
Possibly a record; 29 Sqn had 9 aircrew called John in the early '90s (out of about 35 guys). Their name badges just had , e.g. John 7.

November4
1st Nov 2012, 23:13
bloke named Stu, nickname 'Pid'

Knew someone called Pidd....yes nickname Stu.

Had to a diversity course in a later career where they were talking about the use of nicknames as bullying...I said not all nicknames are to do with bullying and said about Stu. He would introduced himself as that so not bullying.

Ended up with a long lecture on why that was wrong and how it was his coping strategy for the bullying that he would have been enduring :ugh: :{

YellowBelly
1st Nov 2012, 23:57
There was a German exchange officer at a radar site named Helmut Dryer - naturally he was referred to as "Herr Dryer".

BEagle
2nd Nov 2012, 00:24
When Dave Wildridge arrived at RAFC on 14GE, his legendary UWAS escapades preceded him.

So I christened him 'Milo Wildpig' - and the name stuck!

Excellent 'lad' - last saw him instructing at Kidlington a few years ago. Much to the surprise of the ops folks, we did that daft 'lad' handshake thing which we both remembered from 1974 in the middle of the ops area!

oxenos
2nd Nov 2012, 09:31
Friend of mine worked with a German exchange officer who wore a toupee. He was, inevitably, " Herr Piece "

SOSL
2nd Nov 2012, 10:55
In the latter years of my RAF career I had the privilege to work on the same team as a Chf Tech called "Spanners", which was spookily close to his real name.

Rgds SOS

SOSL
2nd Nov 2012, 11:18
At RAF Det Salalah, in 19canteen, when I was a v junior officer, I was to march a young postie (Royal Engineer, postal communication and courier unit) into the CO's office to receive a commendation. He had been under my command for 6 months.

Protocol dictated that I should enter the office and ask the CO for permission to march the guy in.

At that point I realised I couldn't remember his real name, hence all I could say was "Scottie - quick march - halt - left turn - Sir this is Scottie"

I cringed but the CO rescued me and said "Scottie how nice to see you in front of me in such circumstances; your flight commander speaks very highly of you"

Rgds SOS

clicker
2nd Nov 2012, 12:28
November4, yes that reminds me of a similar incident.

At one place I worked I got called "Wan" and it was often used as a test for sorting out new folk. "Arr, Mr x, this is xxxx King, we call him Wan". If that person laughed, grinned or sniggered then we knew they would fit in. If they reacted in a shock horror way then we knew to tread carefully, although that sort of person rarely stayed too long in the emergency services.

The bullying reaction came up on my three day "CAT" training and you should have seen the instructors face when I mentioned my nickname. She quickly moved on when I said I didnt object "and its not an issue to me". ;)

Lightning Mate
2nd Nov 2012, 15:56
Does anyone remember someone called "Duk" ?

November4
2nd Nov 2012, 16:10
person rarely stayed too long in the emergency services.

Clicker, funny old thing - the diversity training I was talking about was with the emergency services too.

SOSL
2nd Nov 2012, 18:06
off thread but picking up on the diversity training thing. I did my first DT, one day, course just 13 months before I retired. Filled in the form; declaring myself to be "British, white". 1 month before I retired I received a form, internal mail, which asked, among other things, whether I was still "British, white". That was when I discovered that "Jedi" was an acceptable classification.

Rgds SOS

flipflopman RB199
3rd Nov 2012, 00:15
Lightning Mate Does anyone remember someone called "Duk" ?

Let's not be too self indulgent now, LM.... :rolleyes:

Mrmungus
4th Nov 2012, 21:33
At Honington was a Waaf called Sam Knockles, She had a Colossal set of boobs, It turned out to be her real name! :)

Also at Honington was a lady who introduced herself as Bong!
She said "it was the noise the frying pan made when it hit me in the face" For the record I liked her. :O

Also Legendary at Wattisham and elsewhere was Andy L**ch who was Universally known as PITFA. He proudly wore his patch and introduced himself as the same.

Stood for Pain In The F*cking Ar*e. :eek:

Andy is still near Cranwell and still a friend.

I know of a QFI who I was informed was called the Honey Monster because he could reach all the switches in a JP without loosening his straps. :cool:

Pontius Navigator
4th Nov 2012, 21:45
Then there was "Wedge" - the simplest tool known to Man.

Or Gimlet, a small boring tool.

Or at Lindholme, first day, usual introductions, 'what do we call you?' etc:

"Right, Hole?"

"Ars*" he replied.

Bob Viking
5th Nov 2012, 14:43
Another one sprung to mind this morning. A guy I was on Sqn with who had a distinct lack of hair was known as:

Chemo

BV:oh:

E-Spy
5th Nov 2012, 15:30
Not from a crew room, but an old rugby buddy of mine was nicknamed 'Hot Rod'

His surname, Cockburn....

SOSL
5th Nov 2012, 16:43
In 1972, a Sgt Remedial Gymnast at RAF Headley Court - real name Pete Miles AKA Meat Piles.

Rgds SOS

SOSL
5th Nov 2012, 16:53
Blairo (#17) - I remember wedge; that was when I discovered the word "hubris"!

Rgds SOS

Tinribs
5th Nov 2012, 17:31
At an airline I worked for one of the management pilots was called Captain Tampax by crewing

They could only use him once a month

Pontius Navigator
5th Nov 2012, 17:40
Not a nickname as such but I once sat down for a meal at Furstenfeldbruck Officers Mess opposite a young German Officer Cadet whose name badge announced his name as 'Wank' (pronounced Vonk). I struggled to make eye contact all night and never did explain to him why I kept smiling!
BV;)

And on the NATO circuit there was the RNoAF controller - Nils Bent-Ovr

NutLoose
5th Nov 2012, 18:05
Not from a crew room, but an old rugby buddy of mine was nicknamed 'Hot Rod'

His surname, Cockburn....

Slipping even further off topic, My sister lives in Cockermouth.... Commonly referred to as Nobagob

WhiteOvies
5th Nov 2012, 20:57
I recently met a lovely female USN SH-60 pilot who's callsign was Smash. I didn't ask why ..

Arm out the window
5th Nov 2012, 23:49
I wasn't there at the time but am relating this story as it was told to me:

Back in the day when a girl military pilot was a real novelty, a certain red-haired big mustachioed RAAF helicopter pilot who shares a name with a kind of beer made famous by 'The Simpsons' (but who shall remain nameless), was on an exercise involving Australian and Kiwi helicopters.

The Kiwis had a female pilot nicknamed 'BC' for some reason. Seeing this name on the tasking board but blissfully unaware that it referred to the girl, our hero was heard loudly conjecturing whether the initials stood for 'Big C***'.

Imagine his red-faced back-pedalling when he was overheard by said pilot...

Arrrf!

gulfairs
6th Nov 2012, 00:50
WE HAD A COUPLE DOWN HERE IN THE ANTIPODES.
ONE WAS CAPTAIN HYMEN HACKER,
THE OTHER WAS JUST CUDDLES( HE ALWAYS SAID WE JUST HAD CUDDLES)
BBG:ugh:

kintyred
18th Aug 2013, 12:10
There must be some cracking nicknames out there. And let's have the origin too.
One that always makes me laugh is "Gimlet" - a small boring tool.

dubbleyew eight
18th Aug 2013, 12:25
there is a girl driving around Perth with a custom numberplate

"WOFTAM"

(waste of effing time and money)

I wonder what he told her it meant.
she gets really pissed when I drive past laughing.

there was a guy in my unit once nicknamed morphine.
(a slow acting dope)

SOSL
18th Aug 2013, 12:25
Wedge - the simplest tool known to man.

Rgds SOS

ricardian
18th Aug 2013, 12:53
When 38 Group TCW was at RAF Tangmere there was a Corporal Poole, known to all and sundry as "Cess".

Wander00
18th Aug 2013, 13:14
There was an RN pilot called Wedge (Thorpe) on 360 when it started up - oddly he had been a few years ahead of me at grammar school in Harrow.

Brian 48nav
18th Aug 2013, 13:14
We had a nav' on 30 who was known as 'Vick', cos' he got right up your nose.

Ali Barber
18th Aug 2013, 13:19
Thrush - censorship rules dictate that I leave you to figure it out!

BANANASBANANAS
18th Aug 2013, 13:26
We had a guy whose nickname was Throm. It was short for Thrombosis - a slow moving or stationary clot.

BEagle
18th Aug 2013, 13:56
Ah yes, there was a 'Thrombo' down at RAF Stanley in the early days - so named as he was considered to be a wandering clot. Also known, due to his profile when wearing a flying suit, as AWF - Avocado With Feet.

Credit has to go to some pongo outfit, who christened the RAF officer attached to them as 'Lobbo' (as in 'lobster'). He thought it was because he was 'a superior form of crab' - whereas actually it was because he had a head full of $hit....:\

AGS Man
18th Aug 2013, 13:59
Harpic... Clean round the bend!

NutLoose
18th Aug 2013, 14:03
There was a JT Doe I once worked with, commonly called Dill.

I also worked with a Bob Vere who's father had been called Percy by his Grandfather on account of the time taken to father him.

Pontius Navigator
18th Aug 2013, 14:19
Gimlet was SOpsO at Coningsby.

Shack37
18th Aug 2013, 14:28
Thrush - censorship rules dictate that I leave you to figure it out!

What could be offensive about "Had a lovely singing voice"?

langleybaston
18th Aug 2013, 14:57
Not nicknames as such but, over a short period, the Met Office of only about 2500 bodies had at least one each of :

Gale
Snow
Waterfall
Wind
Frost
Flood
Hales

did some subliminal urge drive them to the desperate lengths of joining the asylum?

Wensleydale
18th Aug 2013, 15:25
"Dagenham". Apparently it is three stops on the underground after Barking.

langleybaston
18th Aug 2013, 15:31
Charley Hawson :

"CART"

Great scientist, got one of the last ISOs to be awarded.

peppermint_jam
18th Aug 2013, 15:37
Bambi - his mum was shot......

ksimboy
18th Aug 2013, 16:08
Loadmaster leader on Albert called "Hubcap" as he wasn't big enough to be a wheel!

superq7
18th Aug 2013, 16:14
We had a fitter at waste of space Filton nicknamed CAR PARK KEN cuz if you upset him he would meet you in the car park after work to " sort you out"
Ps hope he isn't reading this!

Sun Who
18th Aug 2013, 16:15
F18 driver of my acquaintance - 'Naddo'. Real name Mark Kay. Hilarious.:ugh:

Sqn Ldr Fighter Controller of my acquaintance - SLIMePOD - Senior Living In Member, Princess Of Darkness.

Sun.

airborne_artist
18th Aug 2013, 16:17
Rover (passed selection aged 21 and initially called Pup. Became Rover when he put up his third stripe).

The Bowser - amazing capacity for liquids of the amber colour.

We also had a spate of girl's names - I was called Plum due to my accent, and given to me after I knocked down and stopped a bank robber :\.

vulcanised
18th Aug 2013, 16:32
We had an office girl known as Hoover but I never saw her doing any cleaning http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

light_my_spey
18th Aug 2013, 16:55
When going through training knew of a bloke who unfortunately at some point had received serious burns to the face whilst involved in a car crash or something similar.
His course mates used to call him 'Toastie'.......not the most PC nickname really.

CoffmanStarter
18th Aug 2013, 16:57
Had far too many drinks once with a Puma Pilot nicknamed "Beaker" ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/Beaker.jpg

Yep ... that's him ... he was a F/O then :ok:

I think others have mentioned this chap before when his nickname followed him into his Airline career ...

kintyred
18th Aug 2013, 16:57
Almost forgot about Dogleg.....always cocking up

NutLoose
18th Aug 2013, 17:13
I was nicknamed Taff whilst going through training because of my accent.... Might not seem odd, but I was from Cumbria born and bred..
I used to keep telling the guys until I realised that the Welsh girls at St Athans ( Rhonda Valley Commandos ) would't have anything to do with you if you were not Welsh.... So Taff I became and I enjoyed the delights that were on offer, much to the frustration of the rest of the course who didn't....boyo

Range Rat
18th Aug 2013, 17:40
2 guys where i work. neon... 5 foot tube and thrombosis...slow moving clot.

Courtney Mil
18th Aug 2013, 17:41
did some subliminal urge drive them to the desperate lengths of joining the asylum?

I believe it's called nominative determination.

The Cryptkeeper
18th Aug 2013, 17:42
A few nicknames I've come across over the years:

BUM - Brigade's Ugliest Man
Samsonite - so called because he was always carried by everyone else. See also Gerber - a useless tool that everyone carries.
FONC - Friend Of No C....
BUFFY - A certain postal Sgt on Telic 1 - Big Ugly Fat F....... Yeti
PORG - Person of Restricted Growth
FIGJAM - F... I'm Good Just Ask Me

And these were the more pleasant ones......... :)

BEagle
18th Aug 2013, 18:38
Those who were at Brize around 1992 will remember the infamous 'Kelvin Rucksack'....

...an absolute zero carried by everyone at some time or other...:uhoh:

Also known as 'castor' - something which thinks it's a wheel, but is easily pushed around!

One of the co-piglets was known as 'TDLFCC' - That Deaf Little Fat....'chap' :hmm: C***t**m.

Union Jack
18th Aug 2013, 18:39
For the amusement of newer members, perhaps some kind soul could provide links to the last few occasions that such a thread has been run ....:)

Really good original nominations welcome of course!:ok:

Jack

radar101
18th Aug 2013, 20:37
My first Sqn cdr "Flymo" - used to hover over his officers' desks (metaphorically, that is) and leave piles of crap to be cleared up. His deputy was called "Strimmer"

ExAscoteer
18th Aug 2013, 21:03
There was a (rather short fused) Captain on Albert known as 'Rolex'.

He was self-winding.

MATELO
18th Aug 2013, 21:10
Two best I have come across were...

Bobfoc - Body off Baywatch, Face off crimewatch.

1664 - Body of a 16 year old, but face of a 64 year old. (in honour of Kronenberg)

Tankertrashnav
18th Aug 2013, 22:28
We had two Flt Lts named Miller on the squadron. One day the crew room phone rang and a female voice asked:

"Could I speak to Flt Lt Miller please? It's his wife" Upon being asked which Flt Lt Miller she wanted, she helpfully specified - "Oh Dusty Miller please!"

Surplus
18th Aug 2013, 23:09
Strobe - usually dim with flashes of brilliance.

ExAscoteer
18th Aug 2013, 23:23
We had a Nav on Albert known as 'Snap On'.

He was more than one tool.

ExAscoteer
18th Aug 2013, 23:24
Oh, and a Co who was on 24 (IIRC) an ex-Canberra guy. Known as 'Sledge'.

Always pulled by dogs.

FoxtrotAlpha18
18th Aug 2013, 23:40
Once flew with a guy who's surname was Bates...call sign 'Master'! :E

Scottie66
19th Aug 2013, 05:02
Let's not forget:

SLUF = Stupid Little Ugly F***er
ROLF= Right Obnoxious Little F***er
IFBAS = I'm F***ing Boring As Sh*t
OSLO = OuterSpace Liaison Officer

We also had an exchange pilot who had been given his life-long callsign by the USAF. However, we thought he looked more like Shrek. He objected and it stuck. He objected more strongly and it stuck more. He was a very big bloke....he threatened to kill people and return to the US and thereafter we called him Shrek behind his back.

The Oberon
19th Aug 2013, 05:42
A turban wearing, hindu, engine Cpl. was known to all, including O.C. Eng. as Turbine. Probably wouldn't be allowed today.

A balding bengo was known as Mudguard - shiney on top but full of crap underneath.

bakseetblatherer
19th Aug 2013, 07:01
@Scottie66 I seem to remember there being all sorts of kerfuffle about Shrek, including US/UK officialdom being involved... and being told in one-liners to no longer call Shrek Shrek.

PS name and location is a dead give-away as to who you are, like mine I guess ;)

H Peacock
19th Aug 2013, 07:07
A friend at my local gliding club (30 years ago!) called Tressel. Always the poor guy stood there holding one wing-tip of the glider while the other wing was being put on or taken off!

Also recall a Puma pilot called Carlsberg - he thought he was probably the best pilot in the world!

Scottie66
19th Aug 2013, 07:09
But it didn't stop Shrek products and merchandise from mysteriously appearing on the Squadron....

Wander00
19th Aug 2013, 07:52
"Shrek" Sounds like the instruction to stop calling Falkland Islanders "Bennies" (after the Crossroads characters for our younger viewers) - so they became "Stills" - because they were still Bennies

ksimboy
19th Aug 2013, 08:14
After the complaints about being called "stills" the Islanders became "Andys" . (Andys still a benny!)

Dan Gerous
19th Aug 2013, 09:53
ksimboy, thanks. I remember the benny thing, but couldn't remember what we called them after stills.

Shiny10
19th Aug 2013, 10:41
An armourer on 4Sqn was called 'Threeheads' and I was stupid enough to ask him why!

"Because my name is Kev MacEnernie"! :bored:

(sorry about the spelling Kev)

SOSL
19th Aug 2013, 10:45
When I was an inmate at Headley Court sometime in the last century there was a remedial therapist whose name was Pete Miles - we knew him as Meat Piles because he was a big b&&ger.

Rgds SOS

TheWizard
19th Aug 2013, 10:53
No names, no pack drill

Female Herc pilot = EMU

*Big tall ugly bird who can't fly

Female Herc Navigator = PANG

*The noise made when the shovel had obviously once hit her in the face

SOSL
19th Aug 2013, 11:27
I knew the first female Herc pilot, before she went for pilot training and she was beautiful - so there! Wiz.

Rgds SOS

Sideshow Bob
19th Aug 2013, 11:56
There was an AEO on Nimrods known as COOT, C**** O***** Oxygen Thief, and a short hairy Nav on 206 who stated on his first day on the Sqn that he didn't want to be called 'Monkey' (this was his nickname going through Cranwell). I'll let you guess what his namebadge said when it turned up. :E

Rocket2
19th Aug 2013, 12:22
Lyneham (of avionics bay & later B line fame in the late 80's) had a WAAF called 10BA - allegedly the smallest screw in the RAF :eek:

99 Change Hands
19th Aug 2013, 12:47
The first German exchange instructor on TWCU at Honington was called Hauptmann Wanka. We didn't give him a nickname.

Wwyvern
19th Aug 2013, 12:48
SPIN

Long after I had left the RAF and when I was involved in displaying vintage/veteran aircraft at air displays, the officer assigned to mentor me in the ways of the RAF Officers’ Mess at RAF Leeming(?) was a Tornado navigator called “Spin”. He was fairly short in stature.

At the end of festivities in the Mess on the Friday evening before the display, transport to the hotel was late to pick up those of us left behind. Spin told us that his wife was en route to the Mess, and he had arranged that she would drop a visiting French display pilot and me off at the hotel. In thanking her for providing us with transport, by way of light conversation I asked her the origin of his nickname. Was it perhaps because he liked the sensation of spinning? Not so, she replied, he was the Shortest Person In Nato.

OldnDaft
19th Aug 2013, 13:15
Lass at Bruggen who had a really trim, well honed physique but was not too pretty was known as BOBFOC - Body Off Baywatch Face Off Crimewatch.

MFC_Fly
19th Aug 2013, 13:23
Sideshow, there was also the AEOp that used to prop up the mess bar after he "moved back in" known as Braddle - he really was a boring tool!! :ok:

langleybaston
19th Aug 2013, 13:23
QUOTE: The first German exchange instructor on TWCU at Honington was called Hauptmann Wanka. We didn't give him a nickname

There are lots of Schitters in Austria ............

FATTER GATOR
19th Aug 2013, 13:25
On a different Sqn at Kinloss they had a chap known as Otter. His wife hated the name and complained to the Boss.

Instead he became NOtter - Not Otter

After another complaint he became SNOtter - Still not Otter

After the final complaint he became SNATCHO - Still not allowed to call him Otter

Lovely chap!

RHINO
19th Aug 2013, 13:35
A really nice chap in the RAF who was christened 'FUGLY'....

RHINO
19th Aug 2013, 13:36
And another chap who wished to be referred to as the Squadron QFI and not the 'TROFF'......NTT it was!

Avtur
19th Aug 2013, 13:40
For useless Sergeants: "Aquafresh"; a tube with three stripes.

ksimboy
19th Aug 2013, 13:54
Back in the days of Stanley OC1312 Flt (Scottish chap). Thought his nickname of Starmac was because of his nationality and he was an around good chap. At his departure beers one of the ground crew chaps pointed out it meant "stands to reason , mans a c**t".

Jumping_Jack
19th Aug 2013, 17:25
There was a young lady on Hercs I think who had a rather unfortunate surname for a girl....known as Buster (at least that's what her name patch said!)

Stevie B
19th Aug 2013, 20:02
Recall someone at TTTE Cottesmore - Not sure if staff or a student, but used to cycle into work from Oakham religiously, whether rain or shine.

Managed to collide with the rear end of a big Swedish built estate car one morning in nasty weather and impacted his forehead with the tailgate, leaving quite a nasty imprint of the manufacturer's name in reverse...

Thereafter known as "OVLOV"

kintyred
19th Aug 2013, 20:12
That's funny, there was a helicopter pilot with the same nickname but his was from a head-on with said boxy Scandinavian product.

smujsmith
19th Aug 2013, 20:37
ISTR a story of a member of the WRAF who was at Lyneham who was known to engineers across the place as SPANNER, it was rumoured she was so attractive that only one look from her and your nuts turned !!

I still don't know why all British services call someone with a surname of Smith;

Smudge :ok:

peppermint_jam
19th Aug 2013, 21:31
SACW with a limp that was called Wonky donkey......

Top Bunk Tester
19th Aug 2013, 21:47
Also at Lyneham, Twin Peaks, Milk Shake and last but not least the Drift Bitch.

We also had a TAPS in Goose Bay .... Thick As Pig S***

smujsmith
19th Aug 2013, 21:52
TBT,

I'm sure I remember the "drift bitch".

Smudge

WIDN62
19th Aug 2013, 21:59
Exocet - you can see him coming but can do nothing about it.

obnoxio f*ckwit
19th Aug 2013, 21:59
Puma QHI called Microwave, everything got done really quickly, but not quite done all the way through.

Top Bunk Tester
19th Aug 2013, 23:16
Smudge,

You should, you could have been related (that should be a cryptic enough clue for you ;) )

ksimboy
19th Aug 2013, 23:17
TBT. She had more hair than Smuj didn't she?

ExAscoteer
19th Aug 2013, 23:55
One of our Flight Engineers, having been pulled up by the Fat Controller over his 10 O'clock shadow, was heard to complain that the Nav in question had more hair on her upper lip than he did!

The Oberon
20th Aug 2013, 05:49
Smudge,

It may have been a V force thing, but most of the Smiths I met were known as "Scrote". All Harrys were "Harry the Bastard".

bakseetblatherer
20th Aug 2013, 07:41
"A really nice chap in the RAF who was christened 'FUGLY'...." Yep and in the RN I knew a UMIN

Ugliest Man In NATO

Mk 1
20th Aug 2013, 10:22
Bloke I work with now known as "Passion". Short for passion fingers - as in he f%cks everything he touches.

Being ex inf - anyone behind us (everyone except the SAS) was of course a REMF.

Battalion sigs were known colloquially as muppets - you needed to stick your hand up their @rse to get any work out of them.

Cooks were "turners" or "fitters and turners"

Knew an army nurse known as "the Apple". Good to the core - in this case the Corps of Staff Cadets.

Hydromet
20th Aug 2013, 11:56
Surname: Kerr. Nickname: Wang.

He earned it wherever he went.

Wyler
20th Aug 2013, 12:01
Met a Mil ATC guy in 2005 who was known as 'Fluffy'

Fat Lazy Useless F**ker From Yorkshire

Schnowzer
20th Aug 2013, 12:58
UMITAF - ugliest man in the Air Force upgraded to
UMIN - ....NATO
Gp Capt Spelling Mistake - Name was C Lunt, actually not such a bad chap!

langleybaston
20th Aug 2013, 13:25
I was told that the Head of Guildford Royal Grammar was once a Mr Fluck .............

nickname

NOEL

a good grammar school joke.

Anyone called Hunt was called Mike, regardless.

collbar
20th Aug 2013, 13:27
On a particularly dark night at Basra I was chatting to a mover and the subject of nick names came up. I mentioned we had a guy called Tomahawk... " you could see him coming but there was fxxx all you could do about it!" the mover replied.."thats funny I have a boss called Paveway!! we have go behind him re-building bridges"

Basil
20th Aug 2013, 13:47
I discovered, in an airline, that I was 'Uncle Albert'.
Didn't think I'd bored them that much with salty tales ;)

Previously mentioned names I've come across: FIGJAM, Mike Kent, Shrek, Ajax, Tito (surname Marshal).

Sideshow Bob
20th Aug 2013, 14:20
Anyone called Hunt was called Mike,
A couple of real names:
Current Gp Capt, last name Hunt, first name Mark,
There's an ex Irish rugby league international called Wayne Kerr, he's a big lad so you probably wouldn't want to take the mickey :}

thing
20th Aug 2013, 14:37
WRAF officer known as Pineapple. Pal of mine was on a charge for insubordination. Particularly obnoxious WRAF officer had it in for him, he told her to her face that 'You need f...... with the rough end of a pineapple, ma'am'

Hence the charge and the name.

xenolith
20th Aug 2013, 14:38
A Puma Pilot was known as Oslo, Outer Space Liaison Officer. Same chap had a buttocks clenched together sort of gait. Puma crewmen, of a certain pedigree, would always carry a packet of Polo’s so that as he approached they could offer him one......”mint sir?”

TLDNMCL
20th Aug 2013, 14:57
"Airbrakes" - described a certain young lady's regular weekend configuration (those of you familiar with Buccaneers will get the picture).

"Araldite" - same location as the lady mentioned above, but for different reasons, "For God's sake don't get talking to her, she sticks like glue."

"Wonderwoman", yet again, same location - an amazonian WRAF SNCO who delighted in taking healthy junior ranks home for the weekend, and delivering a bedraggled, worn out, but ultimately happy bag of bones back late on Sunday evenings.

"Jiff" - because he was a little squirt!

taxydual
20th Aug 2013, 15:09
"Saddo"

During a FI Det

a. His parents moved house without telling him where they had moved to.
b. His girlfriend ditched him 2 weeks into his 4 month det.
c. His girlfriend left a tap running and the freezer switched off (with the door open) in the flat they shared after she ditched him.
d. His car was wrecked when a mate (who was looking after it) 'borrowed' it.

Canadian Break
20th Aug 2013, 15:40
Wyler - you will recognise this one:

Nickname: ISME

Surname: COCKIN

It's true I tell you! Now the proprieter of a rather fine pork producing company!

CB

ian16th
20th Aug 2013, 15:58
I knew a Hunt, that we called Isaac.

1.3VStall
20th Aug 2013, 16:09
There was a Cathay captain called "Biffa" - Big Ignorant F**ker From Australia.

Many years ago on the Phantom OCU at Coningsby there was a Flight Sergeant Gee, known to all and sundry as "Effy".

Flt Cdrs' office on 10 Sqn was known as Room 38DD because it was home to the two biggest t*ts on the Sqn.

Bigt
20th Aug 2013, 16:22
My flt cdr in Berlin was known as `Moondust`......because he was always on another planet..

vulcanised
20th Aug 2013, 16:28
I am reminded of a senior police officer who featured in the media a few years ago.

BIFFO - big ignorant fat fcuker from Oldham.

Rigga
20th Aug 2013, 16:30
"Anyone called Hunt was called Mike, regardless."

..or (as in my school) Isaac.

langleybaston
20th Aug 2013, 17:37
no Justin or Tintin yet?

26er
20th Aug 2013, 20:37
I had some dealings with a platoon of Royal Pioneer Corps squaddies who referred to their L/Cpl as Stan. As he was suntanned and had an unpronounceable name tag I asked one chap why he was called Stan to be told, with a look of disdain, "he's a bleeding Paki (stan), innit".

BEagle
20th Aug 2013, 21:06
Flt Cdrs' office on 10 Sqn was known as Room 38DD because it was home to the two biggest t*ts on the Sqn.

On 101 Sqn it was known as Room 38D for the same reason. I told the ex-boss many years later and he thought it was most appropriate!

NutLoose
20th Aug 2013, 21:37
We had a Paxo because he did a lot of stuffing..

dragartist
20th Aug 2013, 21:39
yes we have all come across them.

I had a boss called Hunt. he was a Malcolm not a Mike but we did often shout down the office when the phone rang for him!

I knew a Wg Cdr Mark Hunt - is this the Gp Captain referred to above. short Engineer, last seen at Brize. He used to wear Rupert Bear trousers at beer calls. I thought he was a good guy not worthy of this jibe.

There was a chap in the Sentry project office at Wyton who was proud of the title Top Cat. His mates had even had a TC cartoon made for his office door. Only they knew it stood for "That C***".

We had two spitting images. One Sqn Ldr who could have been Captain Manwairing. The IT chap at the time put the "Don't tell 'em pike" sound bite in the startup menu for his laptop. he had the habit of switching it on during meetings. To see him fluster to switch it off was fun.

the second was a Wg Cdr we called Brains from Thunderbirds. Always behind his back to begin with but it slipped out a few times. I am sure he knew really.

Years back we had a WAAF painter and Doper called Minty. it was at a time that certain female deodorants became vogue. I never did find out how she had adopted this name.

The Army guys had some odd nicknames. came across an Air Despatcher called Sticky. His girlfriend who worked with us told me exactly why one day. I PMSL. Apparently he had been caught having a quick one off the wrist whilst out on the town

Then there was a certain lady purporting to be a project manager based at a large test establishment near Salisbury. I got into big trouble for referring to her as "the slug"

And no I don't wear ladies clothes! I did have guy turn up for duty one day with remnants of nail varnish. Again I PMSL

Hydromet
20th Aug 2013, 23:11
Worked with a bloke who had an unpronounceable Polish name, nicknamed 'Iwasthereyesterday'.

aw ditor
21st Aug 2013, 05:54
A "Gee" at Shiny Palace' many many years ago was known as "Negative".

A2QFI
21st Aug 2013, 06:01
A boss at 228 OCU known as "Doctor Death"

Pontius Navigator
21st Aug 2013, 06:42
A boss at 228 OCU known as "Doctor Death"

Ah, a mutual friend I think. Rose to higher things? If the same one, some 20 years later, I was shown a confidential low flying complaints file from just one person who characterised him perfectly:

Wheels - Weasel eyed little ****.

Sideshow Bob
21st Aug 2013, 07:07
I thought he was a good guy not worthy of this jibe.
What jibe, I didn't christen him!

P.S. I happen to know the said lady 'purporting' to be a project manager, I've worked quite closely on projects with her and I've got to say she's actually quite a good project manager. I guess you're just one of those people who'll have a go at QinetiQ 'cos it's cool to do so.:D

McGoonagall
21st Aug 2013, 07:30
A rather inefficient and obnoxious TAS two ringer was awarded the soubriquet 'Stocking Tops'. Closest thing to a c***.

:E

MRAF
21st Aug 2013, 07:37
Seeing the initial post on Gimlet, we used to have a Gp Capt who's actual surname was Gimlet.

Other classics:

NASA - N/A on the SA
Blackpool (had more front than Blackpool)
Rhyl (tried to show some front, but was was sh*t)

hedgester
21st Aug 2013, 07:58
I once worked with a lekkie called Earth..... Zero potential!
Nuff said :ok:

langleybaston
21st Aug 2013, 09:26
Two Polish pilots on Varsities at Topcliffe c. 1965, one a Flt Lt, one a MPilot............... nearest we could get to pronunciation was:

****slinger

Smackyourarse.

thing
21st Aug 2013, 09:53
Reminds me of Iranian comedienne Shappi Khorsandi who when her family fled to UK when she was 6 after the revolution was called by her new classmates '****attack'...

DON T
21st Aug 2013, 10:03
Barman in local pub known as Sat Nav. Christian name Tom and you always have to ask twice to get his attention.

Melchett01
21st Aug 2013, 12:47
As a holding officer at Coningsby (I think it was there), I chuckled having walked into Stn Ops to see a tote board with the crew names for the day on it with the top crew being FATAL / CRASH. I can't remember where the CRASH bit came from but FATAL was so called because he was called Al and he was fat.

And casting my memory back to my UAS days, we had a Seymour Beaver and one guy with the name badge Caveman in reference to being rather hairy and his rather agricultural albeit successful way of pulling girls.

MPN11
21st Aug 2013, 12:56
Anyone called Hunt was called Mike, regardless.

Adding to the denials, the one on 20 Sqn in Singapore wasn't. He was called "Isaac" :eek:

Good mate: sorry we lost touch. Think we've nailed the Hunt options, unless anyone knows different?

Airborne Aircrew
21st Aug 2013, 13:01
A crewman at Odiham in the mid 80's was "Skip" because his room was like one.

Another crewman at the same time brought a certain young lady to the mess every Friday night ensuring no-one else would get any sleep. She was nicknamed Electrolux because "nothing sucks like an... "

teeteringhead
21st Aug 2013, 13:08
Reminds me of Iranian comedienne ..... Which reminds me of the time the Teeterettes were at school, and an Iranian girl joined, with the unusual (for the Shires) name of Rula.

Shortly followed in subsequent years by two younger sisters, who were immediately known as "Pencil" and "Rubber".

denachtenmai
21st Aug 2013, 16:00
Had a Sengo on 51 called Major Plank, 'cos he was thicker than 2 planks when it came to knowing anything about the squadron aircraft. :ooh:
Regards, Den.

Airborne Aircrew
21st Aug 2013, 16:47
How could I forget Noddy... Because he had big ears... Actually, they are huge... :}

And Slick... Oily little bugger...

Rosevidney1
21st Aug 2013, 18:23
In BAOR we had Sandhurst cadets taking part in a major exercise. One of them was a truly massive and obviously male African called Alison. On being asked why he was called that he said "Ah lissen to de radio!"

ExAdvert
21st Aug 2013, 18:47
Was on the UAS with a chap called "Napalm" - could see him coming, couldn't do anything about it & he stuck to you like..... er, napalm. (Sorry Charlie!).

Went through flying training with a slightly dyslexic mate who soon became "Bat Floke".

Latterly owned an airshow namebadge belonging to "Mike Oxmells"..... who is alive, well & writing Letters of the Month for the BALPA magazine (thanks for the free sunglasses!) :cool:

Saintsman
21st Aug 2013, 19:19
We had a know-all called Orac after the super computer on Blake's Seven and I also knew a Drone (Dennis) because he went on and on - and on and on.......zzzz

dragartist
21st Aug 2013, 21:40
Hey Sideshow Bob, there must be two slugs at said establishment.

I was not the only one who thought this one was an oxygen thief. There was quite an exodus because of her actions. and many of her colleagues banging the channel managers door down to complain.

If you knew me you will know that I speak as I find. And No I am not one to get on the anti Q2 bandwagon for the sake of it. I like to think I still have some good mates left there. I often wonder if I had a nick name folks would not call me to my face. I guess it may have been TCB!!

langleybaston
22nd Aug 2013, 15:35
Met Observer Gatwick when it opened in time to brief Pontius the Pilot c. 1960.

Fritter

[time, money, talent ................]

MAINJAFAD
22nd Aug 2013, 22:56
Adding to the denials, the one on 20 Sqn in Singapore wasn't. He was called "Isaac" http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Had an L Tech AD FS with that nickname a very long time ago who was known by the guys as that because he was a C:mad:t!

A female Cpl at Honington (after the RAF Regiment took over) who after having a number of RAF Regiment boyfriends was known as the Frog, because she hopped from rock to rock.

ksimboy
22nd Aug 2013, 23:03
Young "lady" at West Drayton early 80's known as Martini . Quality advert that was !

Wessex Boy
23rd Aug 2013, 16:56
One of my fellow studes on 67 Crewman course at Shawbury disembarked a Wessex for the stops without removing his monkey harness and took the entire rail and mountings with him...this then grounded the entire Global Fleet for 2 days until we were told to use one of the stretcher points whilst they figured out how he could have broken it

He was called Jabba Ten-Bellies after that....

Also had a guy on ALM Ground school at Finningley called Dino...brain the size of a Walnut

Top Bunk Tester
23rd Aug 2013, 17:19
I suppose it saved money when they commissioned Dino, no need for the lobotomy ..... Sorry mate, couldn't resist :O

If this Jabba was the ex-PJI then 47, then I knew him as Jabba before his Crewman's course.

Wessex Boy
23rd Aug 2013, 22:18
haha, very good!

No Jabba was a Direct Entry Loadmaster, I can't recall if he went Puma or Chinook?

longer ron
23rd Aug 2013, 23:58
Young "lady" at West Drayton early 80's known as Martini . Quality advert that was !

Also at Abingdon - about same time :)

''Anytime ,Anyplace ,Anywhere'' ...

Mrmungus
24th Aug 2013, 12:20
At Honington was a Waaf called Sam Knockles, She had a Colossal set of boobs, It turned out to be her real name!

Also at Honington was a lady who introduced herself as Bong!
She said "it was the noise the frying pan made when it hit me in the face" For the record I liked her.

Also Legendary at Wattisham and elsewhere was Andy L**ch who was Universally known as PITFA. He proudly wore his patch and introduced himself as the same.

Stood for Pain In The F*cking Ar*e.

Andy is still near Cranwell and still a friend.

I know of a QFI who I was informed was called the Honey Monster because he could reach all the switches in a JP without loosening his straps. :E

NutLoose
24th Aug 2013, 14:58
There was Honey Monster working in the Airmens mess at Bruggen she was a ginger and on the large size, she also hadn't got the hang of deodorant and leaning over one at breakfast clearing plates brought tears to ones eyes.

SOSL
24th Aug 2013, 15:15
Flt Sgt DI at Sleaford Tech, known to all as the screaming skull.

Rgds SOS

langleybaston
24th Aug 2013, 15:55
we had a Met observer at Guetersloh called

Brownfinger

and don't ask.

Airborne Aircrew
24th Aug 2013, 17:25
SOSL:

Flt Sgt DI at Sleaford Tech, known to all as the screaming skull.

We had a Corporal on II Sqn. similarly named... I swear he'd defy any anatomist to find any muscle structure over the bone...

241ocu
25th Aug 2013, 06:56
An old Nav on 10Sqn with a habit of sitting in his room saving his rates.

'The Olympic Torch'

'Cos he went all round the world and never went out....!

kintyred
25th Aug 2013, 16:24
A teacher at school was called Clarence, after the cross eyed lion in Daktari, because he couldn't control his pupils

Airborne Aircrew
25th Aug 2013, 16:34
Kintyred:

King Alfred's School perchance?