PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth-5

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

LW940
29th Oct 2023, 15:25
A quick look at CAA stats shows BOH-DUB for august achieved a load of 61% 115 pax

Not very promising especially for the month of August! Maybe a reason why it’s not showing for winter this year?

SKOJB
29th Oct 2023, 15:28
A quick look at CAA stats shows BOH-DUB for august achieved a load of 61% 115 pax

Not very promising especially for the month of August! Maybe a reason why it’s not showing for winter this year?

Been removed for winter as RYR in dispute with DUB over fees and environmental issues. Also seen suggested elsewhere that this route may go head to head with EI at SOU (not sure how likely)

Flitefone
29th Oct 2023, 16:07

Check your data, I suspect your assumption on number of flights is incorrect - The route was operated twice a week in August, although I believe was temporarily increased to 3xweek for part of September/October. Normally the twice/week relates to 18 sectors/month which is 167pax/flight in August, 88% load factor flown, and likely 90%+ booked/paid As reported elsewhere RYR are in dispute with DAA (Dublin airport Company) and have cut a number of routes for the winter. More than likely it will be back at the end of March.

FF

LW940
29th Oct 2023, 16:15
Check your data, I suspect your assumption on number of flights is incorrect - The route was operated twice a week in August, although I believe was temporarily increased to 3xweek for part of September/October. Normally the twice/week relates to 18 sectors/month which is 167pax/flight in August, 88% load factor flown, and likely 90%+ booked/paid As reported elsewhere RYR are in dispute with DAA (Dublin airport Company) and have cut a number of routes for the winter. More than likely it will be back at the end of March.

FF

Appologies, I did go on the assumption of 3x weekly but it was 18 sectors.

3,402 seats
3,012 pax

certainly much better.

SWBKCB
29th Oct 2023, 16:26
It'd be a surprise if it isn't the weakest routes that have been cut, though.

SKOJB
4th Nov 2023, 15:01
Any latest on Ryanair DUB, FAO, GRO as still nothing showing for S24?

Le Tirer
5th Nov 2023, 14:08
Still no Ryanair to FAO, GRO or DUB for Summer 2024 but plenty of gaps to fill for the two based aircraft so no doubt they will be loaded soon. The 2nd aircraft is from the beginning of April next year - 2nd aircraft arrived beginning of May this year.
PMI will be 9 flights a week next summer with daily flights and two flights on Monday and Thursday.

LT

MARKEYD
5th Nov 2023, 18:00
Still lots of UK airports do not have a full Ryanair schedule , probably hard negotiating going on at various airports overseas going on still

It wasn’t until mid November last year that Ryanair published a full summer schedule and even then new routes appeared later on

Most of the public don’t even think about holidays till January anyway

Le Tirer
9th Nov 2023, 11:21
Ryanair GRO now loaded - 5 weekly Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday.
On the one hand this is a reduction from this year's 6 weekly. On the other hand, next year all days operate from the start of the summer schedule on 31/3 where as this year only the Friday flight operated from 31/3. Tuesday commenced May, Monday, Wednesday, Saturday started June and Sunday not until July. Overall, I make this an increase in total capacity on the route for next summer.

LT

MARKEYD
9th Nov 2023, 17:26
The Gerona service has increased to daily now from April , not seen this schedule for many years although at the moment it’s still not fully loaded for sale

No doubt Faro will follow soon , quite a few gaps to fill though for the 2 based aircraft so perhaps there might be a new route to follow

MARKEYD
10th Nov 2023, 09:11
EasyJet have extended the Geneva service into the month of April for the first time in many years
Flights will continue to operate on a Wednesday and Saturday

TUI will continue with the second based aircraft for S25 although at the moment no new destinations have been announced, normally April of next year

Sharklet_321
11th Nov 2023, 10:10
Almost 118,000 passengers passed through the terminal in Sep, up 32% on last year. The rolling annual total stands at 907,000, well above pre-covid levels. 2024 looks set to be a +1m year with the additional 4th based 737.

Can we expect DUB to be re-loaded for the summer?

MARKEYD
11th Nov 2023, 21:29
Sharklet_321 , 1st Sep 2023 15:48
According to a contact of mine Ryanair is proposing a doubling of the number of aircraft at BOH next summer to ‘4 at least’, were his words.

Could be in order to dissuade SOU expansion which could threaten to eat into the med demand.

Interesting times

Sharklet 321
Prehaps you could ask your contact in Ryanair if the Dublin route is continuing or indeed if any new routes are being announced soon ?

GayFriendly
12th Nov 2023, 19:00
Wouldn't be surprised if they do, particularly as FR seem to have a good relationship with MAG. There's a similar rumour at BHX of an additional based aircraft (taking it to 7) and new routes to be announced ahead of the EZY base opening up in April

MARKEYD
12th Nov 2023, 20:00
MAG left many years ago it’s the Rigby Group that looks after Bournemouth these days

Flitefone
12th Nov 2023, 21:13
Sharklet 321
Prehaps you could ask your contact in Ryanair if the Dublin route is continuing or indeed if any new routes are being announced soon ?[/QUOTE]

No Dublin Routes (nor BOH Routes) have been dropped by Ryanair for next summer, but they have just announced 39 city pairs that are no longer for sale (SeanM on X, or Twitter as most know it).

DUB will more than likely be back. The latest from the airline is that 57 new 737-8200 are due for delivery before next summer peak, to add to the 530+ already in service, so ~10% growth of the fleet across the network expected.

I also heard the 4 a/c story for BOH and that the 2 could remain for winter 23/24, we already know how winter turned out. I expect RYR to grow about 10% at BOH next summer, even one more based aircraft would mean fewer away based flights. We’ll see.

Lots could change, one of the rumours that’s been around for a while and is gathering pace among the grown ups in the industry is a merger of easyJet and Jet2.

As for SOU and EZY, I am sure we will see the big 5 in Spain and Portugal (FAO, AGP, ALC, BCN and PMI) with A320, probably for summer 24, the SOU runway is still too short for Turkey and Canaries without risk of payload restrictions. A base is unlikely, with LGW and BRS both a big focus for the airline and space for growth still available there.

Whatever EZY do is unlikely to dent RYR at BOH.

FF

SouthernAlliance
12th Nov 2023, 21:37
Sharklet 321
Prehaps you could ask your contact in Ryanair if the Dublin route is continuing or indeed if any new routes are being announced soon ?

No Dublin Routes (nor BOH Routes) have been dropped by Ryanair for next summer, but they have just announced 39 city pairs that are no longer for sale (SeanM on X, or Twitter as most know it).

DUB will more than likely be back. The latest from the airline is that 57 new 737-8200 are due for delivery before next summer peak, to add to the 530+ already in service, so ~10% growth of the fleet across the network expected.

I also heard the 4 a/c story for BOH and that the 2 could remain for winter 23/24, we already know how winter turned out. I expect RYR to grow about 10% at BOH next summer, even one more based aircraft would mean fewer away based flights. We’ll see.

Lots could change, one of the rumours that’s been around for a while and is gathering pace among the grown ups in the industry is a merger of easyJet and Jet2.

As for SOU and EZY, I am sure we will see the big 5 in Spain and Portugal (FAO, AGP, ALC, BCN and PMI) with A320, probably for summer 24, the SOU runway is still too short for Turkey and Canaries without risk of payload restrictions. A base is unlikely, with LGW and BRS both a big focus for the airline and space for growth still available there.

Whatever EZY do is unlikely to dent RYR at BOH.

FF[/QUOTE]

That will be the LGW that EZY had huge problems with all summer due to over capacity, cancellations and staff shortages, not to mention slot reductions they have to give back to BA this coming year

Flitefone
13th Nov 2023, 07:33
That will be the LGW that EZY had huge problems with all summer due to over capacity, cancellations and staff shortages, not to mention slot reductions they have to give back to BA this coming year

easyJet plans published in October show that they will use their 5 destination bases (see map on slide 8) to grow, will increase use of the constrained airports - they have 80+ aircraft based at Gatwick - and deliver growth using larger aircraft which are much cheaper to operate, they're moving to 50/50 A320neo/A321neo, its all here: FY 2023 Trading update (easyjet.com) (https://corporate.easyjet.com/files/doc_financials/2023/q4/FY-23-Trading-update-slides-new.pdf)
Slides 6- 8 & 17/18 have the detail.

Much but not all of the EZY performance issues at LGW are internal to the airline itself.

FF

Asturias56
13th Nov 2023, 08:12
Very interesting to see the savings per seat from using bigger and more modern aircraft

Sharklet_321
13th Nov 2023, 08:41
Delays to the FR 8200's more than likely mean reduced expansion for Ryanair at airports in the UK, including BOH. It's a moving target! I've no idea about DUB-BOH; perhaps even they don't know yet.

GeorgeNTravels
13th Nov 2023, 11:37
Delays to the FR 8200's more than likely mean reduced expansion for Ryanair at airports in the UK, including BOH. It's a moving target! I've no idea about DUB-BOH; perhaps even they don't know yet.

10% of S24 is still to be confirmed, my guess is by Christmas things will be clearer. Certain bases in the UK didn't get their S23 confirmed until December 2022.

LGS6753
13th Nov 2023, 15:00

FF
Whilst this sort of logic may appeal to aviation professionals, decisions like that will be made in the City of London, where institutional shareholders call the shots. Moneymen don't tend to like "mergers of equals", and takeover bids usually require a big premium to be paid over current valuations.
EZY have the complication of Stelios's family's influence which will depress valuations, whilst Jet2 has a quite different business model to EZY.

ezyBoh
13th Nov 2023, 15:48
Whilst this sort of logic may appeal to aviation professionals, decisions like that will be made in the City of London, where institutional shareholders call the shots. Moneymen don't tend to like "mergers of equals", and takeover bids usually require a big premium to be paid over current valuations.
EZY have the complication of Stelios's family's influence which will depress valuations, whilst Jet2 has a quite different business model to EZY.

Having worked at both CHANNEX which grew in to JET2 and easyJet since the start l can safely say that most of the so called management & staff and EZY would be in for one hell of a shock and a wake up call if a merger went ahead with Jet2.

toledoashley
13th Nov 2023, 17:33
A merger between TUI and easyJet is more likely than Jet2.

SKOJB
14th Nov 2023, 19:47

Seeing as all other U.K. airports have Ryanair DUB on sale already, maybe it’s dropped?

Sharklet_321
16th Nov 2023, 18:55
EasyJet has removed the Bournemouth to Lyon flight.

They obviously used this as leverage to get what they wanted from AGS up the road

SKOJB
16th Nov 2023, 19:15

They obviously used this as leverage to get what they wanted from AGS up the road

Still showing 4 flights in Feb on the app?

Dropoffcharge
16th Nov 2023, 19:40

February still available on main website as well, so doesn't seem so. It was only a 7 week programme 1 day a week, January dates are more than likely sold out as look to be part of the EZY package holidays.

MARKEYD
16th Nov 2023, 19:45
EasyJet always do this about now for the winter month of January
Look at most of the UK airports they serve and their are cuts in Jan for example

JER - BFS
SEN - GNB
SOU - BFS
BOH - LYS
SEN - GVA
LTN - JER
INV- BRS

annakm
17th Nov 2023, 15:21
MARKEYD Potentially FOUR RYR aircraft at Bournemouth? That would be excellent. I gather there’s a waiting list for crew keen to be based there too, so that should please quite a few.

Dropoffcharge
17th Nov 2023, 18:27
MARKEYD Potentially FOUR RYR aircraft at Bournemouth? That would be excellent. I gather there’s a waiting list for crew keen to be based there too, so that should please quite a few.

Could possibly be why a certain Mr Steve Szalay, (ex SOU) has been employed by RCA to improve the infrastructure that's needed to cater for 6x based 737-800's at BOH.

RW20
17th Nov 2023, 19:20
Could possibly be why a certain Mr Steve Szalay, (ex SOU) has been employed by RCA to improve the infrastructure that's needed to cater for 6x based 737-800's at BOH.
I th

​​​​I believe the thinking is : the best way to counter SOU Runway extension is to expedite Bournemouth expansion and build on the airport rapidly expanding routes.
SOU need to get there act together or there going to be lost in the jetstream!

MARKEYD
17th Nov 2023, 22:31
I think people are dreaming with 4 Ryanair aircraft being based next summer

Just concentrate on 2 Ryanair and 2 TUI aircraft for S24 and a busy summer schedule to look forward to which would be the most Bournemouth has ever seen and something most regional airports of BOH size would envy !!

A concentrated and slow expansion is what’s happening

( would love to be proved wrong though )

rog747
21st Nov 2023, 10:17
I th

​​​​I believe the thinking is : the best way to counter SOU Runway extension is to expedite Bournemouth expansion and build on the airport rapidly expanding routes.
SOU need to get there act together or there going to be lost in the jetstream!

Ah, but SOU now have Easyjet Europe Summer 2024 to Faro and now Alicante -
It's picking up at SOU and folk do like Easyjet, plus their busy winter SKI flights to GVA.

Slowly slowly but there will be more....

Southend SEN also gets the ALC too for S24, along with PMI FAO AGP GNB GVA CDG and AMS
(SEN is really picking up, with BH Air doing a high season summer charter to Bourgas too)

Boebus_1
1st Dec 2023, 14:19
Casting my memory back to December 2022, Ryanair announced an expansion at Bournemouth with the release of Edinburgh, Carcassonne & Venice along with an increase in existing routes.
I am hopeful that another positive announcement is looming, however there is one thing that casts doubt. Ryanair has already announced that their S24 schedule has already been released.

As for Cargo, BOH seems to be handling this extremely well. Currently 9x European Cargo flights a week to China & the additional 2x weekly service with Maersk. Most certainly a welcome sight in the quieter winter months.

Rumour has it that the airport will be making some significant changes within the passenger terminals to be able to increase with demand for S24.

If things continue on the current trajectory at BOH, could it be that we’ll see some new liveries on the aprons in the coming years? We can only hope.

Sharklet_321
1st Dec 2023, 18:19
Doubt this is going to happen in summer 24 due to max delays not freeing up -800’s

Flitefone
1st Dec 2023, 20:15
Doubt this is going to happen in summer 24 due to max delays not freeing up -800’s

Agree, not much scope for pax growth beyond that already announced for most UK regional airports IN 24, it will be 4 based 737s at BOH 2 each for RYR & TUI. Cargo doing very well at the moment at BOH.

FF

MARKEYD
1st Dec 2023, 21:08
This was always going to be the growth at BOH for S24 , this year it was Ryanair's expansion next year it’s TUI turn

Its a massive increase for BOH to have 4 based aircraft for the summer season , something I would imagine many regional airports of BOH size would envy , controlled growth slowly is what’s happening here

Cargo growth is fantastic news and looks great for the future

What’s needed now is the terminal to increase its capacity with new infrastructure regarding shops and an executive lounge ( I think BOH is the only airport that does not have one ) and big improvements in the car parking area and transport links now are an absolute necessity

Sharklet_321
2nd Dec 2023, 09:19
Fully agree with that.

BOH must now step up its passenger offering if it’s going to compete with SOU for low fare traffic which it hasn’t had to do up to now. The security area is under too much pressure and would definitely put off a regular flyer. The arrival area is small, and the process slow and manual - where are the automated passport machines? 3 busses a day to the train station - this is not really what a 1m passenger a year airport in its class should be offering.

If they don’t put investment into these areas and those mentioned by MARKEYD, passenger growth will surely peak and fall.

LTNman
2nd Dec 2023, 22:53
BOH has a much longer runway, which is always an advantage

rog747
3rd Dec 2023, 06:34
Yes BOH needs to up the game with Pax Facilities and Ground Handling.

I 100% love using BOH (and SOU and EXT too) but at BOH;

The Handling Agents, and Security etc, need to have 100% staff on strength by the next Season;

Our Aegean Airways TUI Holidays Charter flight to RHO in SEPT had just one girl checking in 148 pax...and god she was SLOW.
Tedious queue to the Terminal Entrance doors, totally unnecessary, when other ground agent staff are wandering around doing nothing. and with just the one flight arriving and departing.
This is where the based airlines, TUI (especially) and RYR needs to put pressure on their Contracts to be handled way better.
Ryanair suffered a spate of chaotic (sic) handling problems both in the Terminal and on the Ramp last summer, that made it into the Local rag, the Daily Echo.

The BOH Special Assistance Team though are truly marvellous, and looked after my Sister amazingly when we went to RHO.
Thanks Brian and Loretta, you both are a credit to the Airport.

As for a Business Lounge >?
I cannot really see that being worthy of an Investment when the majority of Pax are mainly flying out on seasonal Leisure, or on Low Cost journeys.
Would the Pax pay for Lounge access?, I dunno, maybe...Would you>?
So sorry, Darlings, but this Question is way above my Pay Grade here LOL, so I will leave that to the Management, but IMHO, not worth it when other stuff at BOH needs sorting.
A Lounge would not necessarily be the Jewel in the Crown, as there are few Business Travellers that use BOH.
Historically BOH is a Leisure Airport (and IMHO will remain so, for the foreseeable) with no such airlines flying any Business Routes.
Any Business routes flown out of BOH in the past 30 years have been a flop.
That's SOU, BRS and EXT's job to look after the Businessman.

As for Travel to the Airport;
Most folk Park their cars, or use a Taxi/ or Drop-Off.
The almost non-existent Public Transport bus links (frankly these are untenable) from the Town, or the Station are useless in their current form.
What to do?
Do they do anything to improve connectivity, or stay with the current status quo?

The other issue for Summer expansion is the Airports' Hours of Operation;
We all know of the (too) many TUI Flight Diversions that have caused misery over the past 2 or 3 summers, to 1000's of their Local and Loyal holidaymakers when they have ended up back in LGW, STN, BRS or BHX even.
The cause is due to TUI's second Rotation of the day running behind schedule, and not making it back home in time before BOH shuts, hence the Pax finding themselves at 4am in the morning somewhere else, but not at BOH.
Some of TUI's handling of these Diversions, of which a number that were known would occur by earlier on in the day were very badly managed.
Some known Diversions seemingly had little forward planning at the Outstations to receive these flights in the middle of the night, and had not pre-arranged onward travel for the Pax back to BOH.
This lack of forward thinking leaves much to be desired in terms of Customer Service and Delivery, when someone in TUI Ops knows full well that by lunchtime that day, the TFS, HER or the RHO flying back to BOH was already running so late that making it home before the airport closure would be an inevitable Divert.
This cannot continue for another summer. You really don't want these stories in the Daily Echo again.
This then begs the Q about BOH going to longer opening hours operationally.

Yes, BOH has a much longer runway, which is always an advantage over SOU, and thus can such as cater for the sellout winter Caribbean Fly/Cruise departures, but P&O and other Cruise Lines cannot increase these as much as they would like to from BOH, due to a shortage of long-haul aircraft in the UK.
The Orlando and New York flights flown from BOH in the past were very successful, but today the $ v the £ Exchange Rate inhibits marketing reasonably priced Package Deals,
plus anyway, there is the issue of no spare long-haul Jets around.
EXT for years, used to have a seasonal series of Charter flights to Canada, often flown by a TriStar, or a DC-8 63 (Worldways, Air Transat, and Odyssey etc) but again this business has gone.

It tells you much about BOH Airport when the first Palmair Charter from Hurn took place in 1958, using a single 36-seat Viking aircraft destined for Palma de Mallorca.
The service was one of the first series of package holiday charter flights from the United Kingdom.
And so 65 years on, BOH today remains a Holiday Airport (and also Cargo as always was).

SWBKCB
3rd Dec 2023, 07:28
As for a Business Lounge >?
I cannot really see that being worthy of an Investment when the majority of Pax are mainly flying out on seasonal Leisure, or on Low Cost journeys.
Would the Pax pay for Lounge access?, I dunno,maybe...Would you>?

No - but loads do, at airports all over the country. Business/executive Lounge is a bit of a misnomer...

rog747
3rd Dec 2023, 07:53
No - but loads do, at airports all over the country. Business/executive Lounge is a bit of a misnomer...

LOL
We KNOW loads do....(have a Lounge) but I think you have missed the point here -

Would BOH benefit from one (a Lounge) plus the cost of making one, and would typical BOH flying folk pay a Premium to use it...
As I said in my post - Would you?

The only ones I can think of that would be like a Lounge is the Cruise Ship Pax (5 BGI flights a season at the mo, plus a few Norway Charters)

SWBKCB
3rd Dec 2023, 08:03
As I said, no I wouldn't pay for lounge access but Im sure that many of the typical BOH flying folk would, as RYR and TUI customers pay to access lounges at many airports.

Airports do it because they make money

rog747
3rd Dec 2023, 08:24
As I said, no I wouldn't pay for lounge access but I'm sure that many of the typical BOH flying folk would, as RYR and TUI customers pay to access lounges at many airports.
Airports do it because they make money

As I said, all above our Pay Grade here, but definitely one for BOH to pontificate on.

Knowing the demographic and type of passenger that BOH attracts, frankly IMHO I wonder if a Lounge is down on the shopping list?
Here's the thing --- flying from BOH is that you don't need to turn up and spend hours hanging around, as there is nowt much to see and do.

But your point is taken, that perhaps one day Lounge Access could attract revenue....especially as Rigby co-owned Exeter Airport have a lounge, but that likely was pivotal when as Flybe was the main base customer>?

ezyBoh
3rd Dec 2023, 08:26
The term 'business' lounge is rather outdated now.

You'd be surprised who flies with 'low cost' airlines now.

Sone people just like to sit away from the noise, congestion etc and relax in a relatively quiet environment and have a few drinks, snacks, read etc.

Because someone is flying 'low cost' it doesn't mean that they may not want that little bit extra before they board. The area is relatively wealthy and l think the lounge would be well used.

But yes, the whole terminal experience needs a complete upgrade, soon.

Groundloop
3rd Dec 2023, 16:56
The arrival area is small, and the process slow and manual - where are the automated passport machines?

This is the responsibility of UK Border Force, not the airport.

rustythumb
4th Dec 2023, 15:03
That's SOU, BRS and EXT's job to look after the Businessman.

I get the other two but EXT really??

Also should it not be Businessperson in this day and age?

MARKEYD
6th Dec 2023, 19:00
Ryanair have loaded Faro finally into the schedule
Been a heck of a long time coming, obviously some serious negotiations in Portugal but it’s 5 services a week which is great news

Looking at the 2 based aircraft it leaves just 3 slots not filled now

Enough room for the Dublin rotation x 2 and 1 rotation to somewhere in Europe , so let’s sit it out for the time being

annakm
7th Dec 2023, 09:02
Ryanair have loaded Faro finally into the schedule
Been a heck of a long time coming, obviously some serious negotiations in Portugal but it’s 5 services a week which is great news

Looking at the 2 based aircraft it leaves just 3 slots not filled now

Enough room for the Dublin rotation x 2 and 1 rotation to somewhere in Europe , so let’s sit it out for the time being

So getting close to at least a 3rd RYR aircraft at BOH?

VLCfkight
7th Dec 2023, 10:13
Surely that´s going to need some addition new routes, a big increase in frequencies to existing destinations, or a combination of both. May also depend on the delivery of new aircraft from Boeing which is already causing FR problems, although I did see it reported that Boeing managed to deliver 48 new planes to customers in November..

pottwiddler
10th Dec 2023, 11:09
Businessperson or just workers, some 'blue collar' workers commute on aircraft...

annakm
10th Dec 2023, 18:20
Heard the 2 additional RYR aircraft rumour again today from someone who is very close to the action.
However, there doesn’t appear to be even a hint anywhere online that this story has legs.

I guess it’s just watch this space.

Boebus_1
10th Dec 2023, 18:25
Heard the 2 additional RYR aircraft rumour again today from someone who is very close to the action.
However, there doesn’t appear to be even a hint anywhere online that this story has legs.

I guess it’s just watch this space.

If there is likely to be an announcement of additional routes &/or increased based aircraft numbers, I’d expect it to be within the next 10 days.

I’ll certainly be monitoring the Ryanair news announcements like a hawk.

MARKEYD
10th Dec 2023, 19:15
I believe it’s a Christmas list that is un achievable to be honest

There are still 4 large gaps in the 2 based aircraft for S24 so allowing an extra 2 aircraft doesn’t make sense
This would mean a huge increase in new destinations to cover this or a huge increase in frequency on existing routes
Given FR reluctance to give even Faro the opportunity to go on sale until this week shows their hesitation

At the moment there is a small increase in frequency to the following destinations which is good

GRO x 1
ACE continues from winter season
MLA x1

However FR are know for surprises and disappointments so let’s see

Markushillman
13th Dec 2023, 08:45
Ryanair to launch Agadir for summer 24.

Credit as always to SeanM1997 on X

SKOJB
13th Dec 2023, 08:58
What’s happened to DUB?

Boebus_1
13th Dec 2023, 15:55
It seems that the most recent announcement of a new route for BOH was made as part of a major announcement regarding an expansion of a Ryanair presence in Morocco.

I am still hopeful that there are some more route announcements benefiting BOH in the pipeline, including the continuation of the Dublin service.

MARKEYD
13th Dec 2023, 17:16
What’s happened to DUB?

Its been removed from sale again

Would say that Southampton has secured this route with Aer Lingus

Good news about Agadir coming to BOH , somewhere completely different and no doubt will be a welcome addition to the growing Ryanair network

No idea at the moment the frequency but seems to fit into the gaps with the BOH based aircraft schedule

SWBKCB
13th Dec 2023, 18:02
Its been removed from sale again

Would say that Southampton has secured this route with Aer Lingus

Good news about Agadir coming to BOH , somewhere completely different and no doubt will be a welcome addition to the growing Ryanair network

No idea at the moment the frequency but seems to fit into the gaps with the BOH based aircraft schedule

As mentioned on the BHX thread, be interesting to see what operates these UK-Morocco flights - shouldn't be eligible for an EU registered a/c, unless some accomodation has been reached with both authorities.

MARKEYD
14th Dec 2023, 11:43
Agadir with Ryanair is being operated by a BOH based aircraft 2 x week

Monday & Thursday

2 gaps left to fill now on a Wednesday & Saturday to complete the schedule

rustythumb
14th Dec 2023, 12:25
It would be good to see Paphos return.

Le Tirer
14th Dec 2023, 14:11

The days and times seem to still be changing so have I missed some updates?

I have Wednesday as complete:
Aircraft 1 VCE & GRO & ALC
Aircraft 2 FAO & CCF & AGP

The Saturday gap is fairly small with a based aircraft operating to AGP at 10:30am and then FAO. The other aircraft operating BUD & CCF & PMI.

I also still have a small gap on Monday:
Aircraft 1 ALC & GRO & PMI
Aircraft 2 AGA returns 14:45, WRO departs 18:10

Sharklet_321
14th Dec 2023, 14:25
That only leaves the ability to do something of 1 hour and 5 mins block. Not sure what that could be. Perhaps these will be engineering breaks?

I would be surprised if DUB didn’t come back in some form. I’d also suggest Belfast International is on the horizon along with Funchal and Bucharest.

shamrock7seal
14th Dec 2023, 14:34
Could DUB not fit into those gaps?

Agree on Bucharest. The number of Romanians in the central southern region of the UK would easily justify it.

My money would be on Warsaw being added soon or extra flights on the Krakow route.

MARKEYD
14th Dec 2023, 14:55
The days and times seem to still be changing so have I missed some updates?

I have Wednesday as complete:
Aircraft 1 VCE & GRO & ALC
Aircraft 2 FAO & CCF & AGP

The Saturday gap is fairly small with a based aircraft operating to AGP at 10:30am and then FAO. The other aircraft operating BUD & CCF & PMI.

I also still have a small gap on Monday:
Aircraft 1 ALC & GRO & PMI
Aircraft 2 AGA returns 14:45, WRO departs 18:10

Wednesday
Aircraft 1 FAO & CCS & AGP
Aircraft 2 — & GRO & ALC

The Wednesday VCE is operated by Malta Air

There is definitely space on Wed , Sat & Mon for a rotation of some sort

Wed 5 hr 20
Sat. 3 hr 30
Mon 2 hr 35

FR have had another spat with Dublin over fees hence no flights this winter and next summer it looks like , loads averaged about 140 pax so presumably this was the hit

Markushillman
14th Dec 2023, 15:06
Wednesday
Aircraft 1 FAO & CCS & AGP
Aircraft 2 — & GRO & ALC

There is definitely space on Wed , Sat & Mon for a rotation of some sort

Wed 5 hr 20
Sat. 3 hr 30
Mon 2 hr 35

FR have had another spat with Dublin over fees hence no flights this winter and next summer it looks like , loads averaged about 140 pax so presumably this was the hit

140 pax you would think is good of course, but we don't know the yield. But most likely the spat with Dublin

Le Tirer
14th Dec 2023, 15:43

Thanks for the update. When I last looked it was definitely the based aircraft with a 6:30am departure so I would think there must be something else now in the pipeline for this slot.

MARKEYD
14th Dec 2023, 17:30
There will definitely be some more routes but given the time availability it would have to be something short like Belfast , Beauvais or Glasgow and the longer route on Wednesday possibly a European route

bob1810
15th Dec 2023, 09:09
How about Inverness weekly

SWBKCB
15th Dec 2023, 09:16
Domestic routes like Belfast, Glasgow or Inverness should require a RUK aircraft.

MARKEYD
15th Dec 2023, 09:27
How about Inverness weekly

Would be as popular as Liverpool was a few years ago , leave the domestics to Southampton

ATNotts
15th Dec 2023, 10:08
Domestic routes like Belfast, Glasgow or Inverness should require a RUK aircraft.
Given that the AGA route also require RUK aircraft either one of the BOH based units will be RUK or they'll need to get an RUK aircraft into BOH to operate it.

Sharklet_321
15th Dec 2023, 14:44
BOH processed 98,262 pax in October which was up 29% on the previous year.

The rolling 12-month figure was 929,000 which is significant, behind that of Belfast City at 2 million.

Big numbers on the EDI route at 6,302 pax.

Strong growth on FAO, GRO, AGP, ALC, LPA and PMI

Boebus_1
17th Dec 2023, 12:25
It would appear that BOH cargo routes have picked up slightly.

9x weekly to Chengdu, 2x weekly to Billund & now what appears to be at least weekly to JFK.

Sadly the CAA have not released cargo figures for BOH.

MARKEYD
30th Dec 2023, 11:00
Ryanair have added another flight to Gerona on a Saturday taking the service to 8 flights a week for the summer
Obviously GRO is the place to be as it’s the second busiest route after Palma now

Still a few gaps to fill on the BOH based aircraft which I am surprised they haven’t filled yet or it may just be down time factored in for the aircraft should any thing untoward occur

TFS , LPA & ACE are all on sale for winter 24/25 now with FR

SKOJB
30th Dec 2023, 13:09
Why are the majority of arrivals on R26 not using the southern taxiway nowadays?

MARKEYD
30th Dec 2023, 13:46
Taxiway B has a newish apron with upto 3 European A 340 on it so no room to taxi down their

Quite often the East / West Apron is taken up at the bottom by a European A340 off loading freight

I heard that a possible new taxiway is being built closer to the main runway north side

SKOJB
30th Dec 2023, 15:08
Taxiway B has a newish apron with upto 3 European A 340 on it so no room to taxi down their

Quite often the East / West Apron is taken up at the bottom by a European A340 off loading freight

I heard that a possible new taxiway is being built closer to the main runway north side

many thanks

Boebus_1
30th Dec 2023, 18:45
Why are the majority of arrivals on R26 not using the southern taxiway nowadays?

Taxiway is currently U/S. Repair is imminent so I am told.

Additionally, I have been informed by a reliable source that a new route is soon to be announced from BOH.

Sharklet_321
3rd Jan 2024, 13:53
Could this be the continual rumours of a potential Belfast addition.

It’s being reported that the airport will invest £5m in new security search facilities for the Summer 2024. This is much needed if they are to compete effectively with Southampton and Bristol.

SKOJB
3rd Jan 2024, 15:07
Could this be the continual rumours of a potential Belfast addition.

It’s being reported that the airport will invest £5m in new security search facilities for the Summer 2024. This is much needed if they are to compete effectively with Southampton and Bristol.

Up against EI x 3 daily and EZY going x 5 weekly at SOU? doubtful but who knows with RYR

Captain Cargo
4th Jan 2024, 15:11
By July 24, as mandated by the Government, all airports must enhance their security protocols to accommodate the scanning of large liquid bottles.

MARKEYD
5th Jan 2024, 11:56
Ryanair have added extra flights to the following routes

Alicante x 1 now 7 a week
Malaga x 1 now 7 a week
Lanzarote x 1 now 2 a week

Gerona x 1 now 8 a week ( already covered)

As already mentioned £ 5 million is being set aside for a security upgrade which is to become mandatory for ALL UK airports
The rest of the £ is going towards improvements in the arrivals hall , an extra baggage belt and more border force desks are being installed

SKOJB
5th Jan 2024, 14:17
I thought easyjet GVA flights were always flown by ezy Swiss, seems they are now being flown by U.K. registered aircraft?

SWBKCB
5th Jan 2024, 14:30
What are the Maersk Cargo flights doing?

Flitefone
5th Jan 2024, 14:44
What are the Maersk Cargo flights doing?

cargo from northeast China:

https://www.multimodal.org.uk/article/maersk-air-cargo-chooses-bournemouth-for-a-china-uk-route-trial

ezyBoh
5th Jan 2024, 14:45
I thought easyjet GVA flights were always flown by ezy Swiss, seems they are now being flown by U.K. registered aircraft?

It's always been a mixture. When NCL was a base from there, LTN & GVA.

Le Tirer
8th Jan 2024, 15:24

SeanM on Twitter reporting that Ryanair are to start a service to Nantes on a Wednesday and Saturday from 1/6. That's those two gaps taken care of!

davidjohnson6
8th Jan 2024, 15:28
SeanM on Twitter reporting that Ryanair are to start a service to Nantes on a Wednesday and Saturday from 1/6. That's those two gaps taken care of!
Easyjet struggled with Birmingham - Nantes. Why should Bornemouth - Nantes do better ? Not saying FR can't make it work... but it's a question that I'm struggling to answer to myself in a positive and satisfactory way

Le Tirer
8th Jan 2024, 15:39
Ryanair have tried this route before. In 2007 they did a short season from mid-June - October and carried just short of 10,000 pax.
The following year the route operated May - October and carried what appears to be a reasonable 18,400 pax.
The 2009 recession saw this and several other routes dropped. Good to see it back, hopefully it will be a success!

MARKEYD
8th Jan 2024, 15:49
Nantes like Bergerac and Carcassone are summer only destinations
It’s a popular medieval place and a good city break for culture , history and food , also onwards I would guess for many folks with second homes in France

I would imagine like EGC & CCS it will prove popular for the short season it’s running and fits in perfectly with the 2 Bournemouth based aircraft which are running at 3 sectors a day and 2 when it’s a longer range flight

Ryanair have invested heavily into BOH this summer with an extra 10 flights added from last year, might not sound much but that’s pretty good going for an airport of Bournemouths size

Just as point of interest on a Saturday morning there are now 7 departures before 0830 with 4 FR and 2 TUI B738 all on the ramp at one point , let’s hope the infrastructure is in place for this !!

davidjohnson6
8th Jan 2024, 16:03
I agree that Nantes and the surrounding area is nice... I've been a few times. However why can it work from Bournemouth but not Birmingham ? The arguments in favour of Nantes point perhaps to linking it to a big UK city rather than a more rural area.

rustythumb
8th Jan 2024, 17:31
I'd hardly call Bournemouth rural - it has an affluent metro of 500-600,000 of its own, besides there is a good catchment to draw from for this route as the next nearest airports flying to Nantes are Bristol and Gatwick.

I think it's more a case of demographics.

I think it would be weirder if an airline picked Bournemouth over Birmingham to fly a route such as Doha...

davidjohnson6
8th Jan 2024, 17:55
Bournemouth is not as rural as Carlisle or Inverness... but Birmingham airport has a much larger catchment population. Dorset is rather more rural while the West Midlands is rather more urban.
I'm not saying BOH-NTE cannot work. I am however saying that BHX-NTE failed to work. If a new route is to be opened from the UK to Nantes, there must be something that differentiates it from Birmingham.
The question remains... why can Nantes work from Bournemouth but not Birmingham ?

SWBKCB
8th Jan 2024, 18:23
Bournemouth is not as rural as Carlisle or Inverness... but Birmingham airport has a much larger catchment population. Dorset is rather more rural while the West Midlands is rather more urban.
I'm not saying BOH-NTE cannot work. I am however saying that BHX-NTE failed to work. If a new route is to be opened from the UK to Nantes, there must be something that differentiates it from Birmingham.
The question remains... why can Nantes work from Bournemouth but not Birmingham ?

BHX may have a larger catchment area, but has it as large a number of customers with a propensity (and disposable income) to travel to Western France? Might be a question for the BHX thread as to why NTE failed.

or may be it is just RYR parking its tanks on SOU's lawn.

pug
8th Jan 2024, 19:36

Perhaps there are a large number of people in the Bournemouth area that have second homes in the Nantes region? Perhaps the demographic of Bournemouth are for whatever reason more likely to fly to Nantes. Perhaps the reason Nantes is not served from Birmingham is not because there isn’t the demand, just that the airlines prefer utilising their aircraft on other routes?

It’s not all about size of catchment area. Bit of a strange comparison to draw.

rustythumb
8th Jan 2024, 19:58
I agree, I'm inclined to think there are a lot of second homeowners in Dorset, Wilts, Hampshire that are the types that may typically head over to Brittany/W. France from Poole and Portsmouth via ferry for a fortnight and this Ryanair route provides a convenient means to hop across in-between times.

This also isn't a point-to-point business route between tertiary/regional capitals it's fundamentally a twice-a-week seasonal leisure flight.

FRatSTN
8th Jan 2024, 22:04
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but was BHX-NTE not most recently served by EasyJet? Ryanair have never served that route to my knowledge so it's comparing apples and pears. It's likely more a case either airline has bigger fish to fry with more lucrative routes, rather than BHX-NTE "not working" as a viable route.

davidjohnson6
8th Jan 2024, 22:35
BHX-NTE was indeed Easyjet rather than Ryanair. However, Easyjet and Ryanair are each LCCs with a similiar business model and a sizeable presence in both the UK and France.... they are comparable airlines.
Fares on BHX-NTE were significantly lower, sometimes drastically lower, than (for example) LGW-NTE on a consistent basis for S22 and S23. I live in London but have flown NTE-BHX just because it was drastically cheaper to return to the UK. Any route which has low yields will quickly move into the "small fish to fry" category :-)

I don't intend to slag BOH or anybody off... I'm just after a good-natured old-fashioned debate as to whether the collective wisdom of this website think BOH-NTE can work

FRatSTN
8th Jan 2024, 22:43
BHX-NTE was indeed Easyjet rather than Ryanair. However, Easyjet and Ryanair are each LCCs with a similiar business model and a sizeable presence in both the UK and France.... they are comparable airlines.
Fares on BHX-NTE were significantly lower, sometimes drastically lower, than (for example) LGW-NTE on a consistent basis for S22 and S23. Any route which has low yields will quickly move into the "small fish to fry" category :-)
EasyJet and Ryanair may well be comparable in that they fundamentally fall into the perceived LCC category, but their cost base and margins on particular routes will be far from so.

I'm not saying BOH-NTE will necessarily be a roaring success, or likewise that BHX-NTE doesn't have potential. Frankly I doubt many of us posting on these pages have any real indication as to how well specific routes are performing in line with expectations for each carrier.

RA85684
8th Jan 2024, 22:58
Nantes is probably a really decent, astute shout from Ryanair out of Bournemouth. The wealthy catchment has already been established in a comment above, not to mention that it will tap into SOU's now almost non-existent French market since the demise of Flybe. It's exactly the same distance as NCL-LHR, to the mile, which means that the aircraft is rarely ever going to be in the air for more than 45 minutes and even based on block times, it's due back at BOH 3 hours after it leaves. It shouldn't be an issue at all for Ryanair to simultaneously lure people in with low fares and turn a profit on this route. Nice shout, good for Bournemouth. Its nice to see things going well.

Sharklet_321
9th Jan 2024, 08:12
Not sure if it’s been mentioned already, but Ryanair did in fact previously serve this route from Bournemouth back in April 2008. It was only operated for one summer season as it was not continued in 2009. However, a lot of route cuts were happening across the UK between 2008 and 2009 as the financial crisis took hold.

It will be interesting to see how this route responds and whether it comes back in 2025. I’m inclined to believe that people may well use it as access to the UK, rather than Bournemouth per se, if the fares are £15 each way.

globetrotter79
9th Jan 2024, 11:37
Pre-pandemic, Southampton served about 15,000 passengers annually to Nantes (plus roughly another 10,000 each to Rennes and La Rochelle) as part of a pretty reasonably-sized flybe network to regional France.
SInce Ryanair have already launched Bournemouth to EGC and CCS, as someone on here has already said it looks very much like they're parking their tanks on Southampton's lawn.
Assuming there's still a similar 'local' market demand from south of England to these parts of France, if Ryan are putting about 13,000 seats into the Bournemouth-NTE market then logically it looks like this ought to work.

Asturias56
10th Jan 2024, 09:34
Nantes is probably a really decent, astute shout from Ryanair out of Bournemouth. The wealthy catchment has already been established in a comment above, not to mention that it will tap into SOU's now almost non-existent French market since the demise of Flybe. It's exactly the same distance as NCL-LHR, to the mile, which means that the aircraft is rarely ever going to be in the air for more than 45 minutes and even based on block times, it's due back at BOH 3 hours after it leaves. It shouldn't be an issue at all for Ryanair to simultaneously lure people in with low fares and turn a profit on this route. Nice shout, good for Bournemouth. Its nice to see things going well.

way back Ryanair suddenly stuck an afternoon flight on from Stansted to Esbjerg - they could round trip it in less than 4hours. It wasn't subject to any real ATC issues, there was so little happening at Esbjerg they could guarantee super efficient turnrounds and it tapped a market for Danes who wanted to see the bright lights - faster to London than driving or taking the train to Copenhagen. . And it kept a 737 airborne and earning instead of waiting for the 17:00 rush hour somewhere else

SWBKCB
18th Jan 2024, 11:13

9x weekly to Chengdu, 2x weekly to Billund & now what appears to be at least weekly to JFK.

Now in the November stats - a respectable 2,000 tonnes. About the same as Luton and Belfast, more than EDI and BHX

Ascupart
26th Jan 2024, 10:23

Living in Southampton I often see the cargo airbuses flying low as they approach Bournemouth.
During the pandemic they were flying in PPE, but I'm curious what is the cargo that's so urgent it has to be brought by air from China?
Also, is there any freight going out to China from Bournemouth or are the aircraft empty on the way out?

Flitefone
26th Jan 2024, 16:10
The airport’s website provides all the details.

https://cargofirst.co.uk/news/2023/11/24/further-jump-in-china-uk-air-freight-capacity-through-bournemouth-airport

https://cargofirst.co.uk/news/2023/11/28/maersk-air-cargo-chooses-bournemouth-for-a-china-uk-route-trial

Maersk are have continued their service beyond end 2023. There have been 2 rotations from China this week, plus European Cargo at 6/week, thats about 2000 tonnes/month - not bad for the post Christmas low season for air cargo

FF.

Wycombe
26th Jan 2024, 19:57
Are these European A346's operating as belly-freight only flights, or is (small, light) freight that can be loaded manually through the pax cabin doors being carried upstairs aswell?

If so that must be a somewhat time-consuming and labour-intensive operation!?

Markushillman
26th Jan 2024, 20:20
Are these European A346's operating as belly-freight only flights, or is (small, light) freight that can be loaded manually through the pax cabin doors being carried upstairs aswell?

If so that must be a somewhat time-consuming and labour-intensive operation!?

Great question as the A346 doesnt appear to have the usual big side loading cargo door. Doesnt seem the greatest aircraft for cargo operations

SWBKCB
26th Jan 2024, 20:26
Great question as the A346 doesnt appear to have the usual big side loading cargo door. Doesnt seem the greatest aircraft for cargo operations

Until you look at the going rate for one...

And, no - there's no main deck cargo door.

Markushillman
26th Jan 2024, 20:40
Until you look at the going rate for one...

And, no - there's no main deck cargo door.

I notice after a quick google that a company called USC is planning a conversion for the aircraft so it does have a full main deck door.

Flitefone
26th Jan 2024, 20:51
These are certified for main deck cargo since late 2022, using existing main deck doors.

https://www.euroav.com/news/european-aviation-airline-european-cargo-receives-easa-stc-a340-600-class-f

The conversion including the main deck cargo door and strengthening to cabin floor is a different mod, ordered by USC airlines of Germany, but not flying yet.

dixi188
26th Jan 2024, 22:02
I don't know the cost of putting in a Main Deck Cargo Door today, but back in the late '90s the going rate for an A300 (same fulelage), was around $6 million so I would think around double that today.
I wonder how the sums add up given that the A340 only carries around 3/4 the payload of a B777 freighter and burns more fuel.

annakm
28th Jan 2024, 12:52
Rumour has it RYR are moving more crew to BOH, although that might be in anticipation of the usual seasonal summer route increase.

MARKEYD
1st Feb 2024, 08:34
Ryanair have brought forward the Zadar flights to start in May now instead of the usual short season
Lanzarote sees another extra flight from August taking it to 2 x week

Transun have added an extra flight to Enontekio in Dec taking the Lapland experience to 5 flights with various tour operators

EasyJet are operating 2 flights this lunchtime to Geneva which covers the busy ski season for the next 4 weeks along with 2 x Saturday and Sunday

Busy morning with 2 European A340 arriving and a TUI 789 arriving for maintenance

SWBKCB
1st Feb 2024, 09:50
Who will be doing maintenance on the TUI 789?

rog747
1st Feb 2024, 10:48
Rumour has it RYR are moving more crew to BOH, although that might be in anticipation of the usual seasonal summer route increase.

Yes, but there are no current Ryanair cabin crew recruitment on offer at Bournemouth. Perhaps they have sorted their 2024 needs by, as you say, moving crews around?
There still is openings for TUI at BOH for Cabin Crew summer 2024.
My pal just applied and got in with TUI, and his Course is soon.

rog747
1st Feb 2024, 10:50
Who will be doing maintenance on the TUI 789?

Gama Aviation Engineering Limited have been currently attending to TUI 787's at BOH.

southamptonavgeek
1st Feb 2024, 11:15
Gama Aviation Engineering Limited have been currently attending to TUI 787's at BOH.
TUI engineers using Gama facilities, I'm led to believe

SWBKCB
1st Feb 2024, 11:44
So is that the big hangar where the 747SP used to live? Is it used much now?

Flitefone
1st Feb 2024, 14:20
So is that the big hangar where the 747SP used to live? Is it used much now?

Yes, and the Qatari 747-8 that replaced the SP. Its the only hangar at BOH suitable for the largest wide body aircraft. Large hangar space is a rare commodity anywhere these days.

The GAMA hangar at Hurn is routinely and frequently used by multiple Corporate Jets - See the GAMA website.

FF

SWBKCB
1st Feb 2024, 14:52
Yes, and the Qatari 747-8 that replaced the SP. Its the only hangar at BOH suitable for the largest wide body aircraft. Large hangar space is a rare commodity anywhere these days.

The GAMA hangar at Hurn is routinely and frequently used by multiple Corporate Jets - See the GAMA website.

FF

That's what I thought, too precious for a few biz-jets!

dixi188
1st Feb 2024, 15:40
Channex used to get their A300s serviced there when it was BASCO.

Ascupart
1st Feb 2024, 16:43
I was looking at CAA data and I noticed that there appears to be errors in flight data for Bournemouth, in particular with regard to cargo flights. According to the data, from the middle of 2022 until the end of 2023 there have been no cargo aircraft movements in Bournemouth. For example, have a look at January 2023:

Table 06 Air Transport Movements Comparison (PDF document) (https://www.caa.co.uk/data-and-analysis/uk-aviation-market/airports/uk-airport-data/uk-airport-data-2023/january-2023/)

It shows 270 air transport movements for the month in the month, all passenger and no cargo - unless I'm misunderstanding something this must be wrong given the air route to China.

Have I misunderstood? If not, is this an error of the CAA or Bournemouth airport?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/667x745/bournemouth_1aca4a6f66c01bdee6d451dda8d7eceb0067b4d3.png

Cargo flights:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/930x534/chart_cf446e51912411bcdfe5dc8c158d92e40ef637a5.png

Flitefone
1st Feb 2024, 16:47
CAA stats have been very slow on Cargo data reports for BOH, for some reason right from the outset in 2020, many months behind or missing altogether. Jan 23 is not a good sample month, the current arrangements with China began in April 23

Sharklet_321
15th Feb 2024, 11:24
950,000 passengers went through Bournemouth in 2023 surpassing CWL, SOU, INV. Only behind BHD which saw 2.1m. BOH is positioned 13th in the table if you assume all London airports as one group and Belfast airports as one group.

Significant increase on 2022.

More to come in 2024 when over 1m are expected.

Biggest December increases came from Krakow +24%, Geneva +31%.

Sharklet_321
18th Feb 2024, 11:41
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1267x1224/img_2055_fd4eefb164b0f0ab42129a5f75d868434b81d409.jpeg
New apron area BOH

Can someone explain why they haven’t built a larger apron area here? I thought the plan behind this new area was to free up the taxiway to ensure it’s free moving again. But apparently not? I don’t really see what value this brings other than some additional movement for vehicles around the aircraft.

Groundloop
18th Feb 2024, 12:45
If they parked the A340s on the apron with their tails overhanging the grass like the one on the taxiway then that would free up the taxiway.

SouthernAlliance
18th Feb 2024, 13:58
If they parked the A340s on the apron with their tails overhanging the grass like the one on the taxiway then that would free up the taxiway.

Not enough clearance for a parked aircraft and operational taxiway, those 340’s are the longest commercial airliner

SWBKCB
18th Feb 2024, 14:34
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1267x1224/img_2055_fd4eefb164b0f0ab42129a5f75d868434b81d409.jpeg
New apron area BOH

Can someone explain why they haven’t built a larger apron area here? I thought the plan behind this new area was to free up the taxiway to ensure it’s free moving again. But apparently not? I don’t really see what value this brings other than some additional movement for vehicles around the aircraft.

Is the apron finished in that picture - the a/c aren't on it.

Boebus_1
18th Feb 2024, 14:42
I understand the concrete extension is for ground vehicle ops only which will suggest it’s not designed to bear the weight of an A340.

dixi188
18th Feb 2024, 17:53
The taxiway with the enlarged apron area used to be runway 13/31 that closed around 60 years ago. There is a southern taxiway just visible in the bottom left of the photo, but I believe it is closed at the moment as it needs re-surfacing. (Don't get to see Notams any more).

Flitefone
18th Feb 2024, 18:11
I understand the concrete extension is for ground vehicle ops only which will suggest it’s not designed to bear the weight of an A340.

The new B apron has the same bearing strength as the runway (source CAA), so it will be a procedural rather than weight matter.

FF

shamrock7seal
19th Feb 2024, 12:59
By all accounts Ryanair are very happy with the performance of the new Agadir route. The first flight on 1st April is almost sold out.

GayFriendly
19th Feb 2024, 14:45
Same at BHX looking at the one way fare on the 1st - but I'd be a bit worried if they weren't nearly sold out as it's the start of the Easter holidays and it should be a very busy Saturday at all airports!

Fares into May and June BHX-AGA are very cheap right now though - like anything with FR, they'll operate a route as long as it suits them (or any financial incentives involved run out!)

Asturias56
19th Feb 2024, 21:00
"like anything with FR, they'll operate a route as long as it suits them (or any financial incentives involved run out!)"

Which is why they're the most successful airline in Europe - forget the emotions - look at the bottom line

Markushillman
20th Feb 2024, 06:55
By all accounts Ryanair are very happy with the performance of the new Agadir route. The first flight on 1st April is almost sold out.

Yes any Ryanair route that hasnt got at least 100 booked by now for Easter Monday, I'd say Ryanair would be a bit concerned. If you go into later April the flights are very cheap, and looking at the seating plan which is fairly accurate nowadays suggests rather light loads. Hopefully they have some fairly decent financial incentive to help the route build

MARKEYD
20th Feb 2024, 07:17
Never read to much into seating plans until at least 24hrs before a flight
Many people still take pot luck or forget they can check in until the day before

Good to see the Agadir route is going well , April
is always a shoulder month after Easter and nothing really gets going till May

Markushillman
20th Feb 2024, 08:24
Never read to much into seating plans until at least 24hrs before a flight
Many people still take pot luck or forget they can check in until the day before

Good to see the Agadir route is going well , April
is always a shoulder month after Easter and nothing really gets going till May

Yes noticed that when I have had to book a last minute flight with them 48 hours still quite a few seats, 24 hours when I had to book and about 30 or 40 seats extra were gone.

Hopefully the route really takes off into May

ShedDriver
24th Feb 2024, 17:55
Anyone know what's going on with European Cargo? They seemed to stop going to Chengdu a while back and instead have been doing sporadic rotations to Kashgar. This seemed to stop over Chinese new year week as you would expect. However with that now over they've not exactly sprung back into action and one of the two active aircraft seems to have gone down to Johannesburg where at least two others are already - I think they might do heavy maintenance down there?

Anyway that seems to leave them with just one serviceable aircraft. Has the original Chengdu contract ended or is something else going on?

I know from working on the maritime shipping fringes that global logistics is in a rather sticky place so far this year but thought e-commerce related flows would be less affected?

rog747
25th Feb 2024, 07:51
I think European could have well thought of putting the Seats and IFE back in the A340's, hiring some Cabin Crew and offering their services for ACMI work of which there is plenty around.

P&O Cruises have just ditched their LGW/MAN to BGI/ANU Contracts with Maleth Aero (which were a debacle) and are not renewing,
so that long haul work for next winter season would have seen 2 a/c busy, plus TUI often struggle to meet P&O's demands for the other flights.
Plus this summer no doubt will have plenty of other work around.

Just a thought....

Boebus_1
25th Feb 2024, 07:59
Of the aircraft currently in Johannesburg, 2 are already converted cargo & the other is undergoing a conversion.
Currently in BOH are 3x A340-600 which haven’t moved in a while, 1x A340-500 and an already converted cargo A340-600.

Allegedly European have a number of ex Iberian A340-600s in Madrid too.

I can’t imagine any of the already converted/ undergoing freight conversion A340s will be reconfigured to passenger carrying.

AircraftOperations
25th Feb 2024, 11:23
I think European could have well thought of putting the Seats and IFE back in the A340's, hiring some Cabin Crew and offering their services for ACMI work of which there is plenty around.

P&O Cruises have just ditched their LGW/MAN to BGI/ANU Contracts with Maleth Aero (which were a debacle) and are not renewing,
so that long haul work for next winter season would have seen 2 a/c busy, plus TUI often struggle to meet P&O's demands for the other flights.
Plus this summer no doubt will have plenty of other work around.

Just a thought....

If there is indeed lots of ACMI work available this year, it is still price sensitive. 4 big engines on a stretched A340 is a lot of aircraft to hope across to the Caribbean when all previous aircraft have been twins. Does the A340-600's length also give some manoeuvring/parking challenges at smaller destinations?

Flitefone
25th Feb 2024, 12:00
If there is indeed lots of ACMI work available this year, it is still price sensitive. 4 big engines on a stretched A340 is a lot of aircraft to hope across to the Caribbean when all previous aircraft have been twins. Does the A340-600's length also give some manoeuvring/parking challenges at smaller destinations?

G-ECLF the 340-500 is still configured with the Etihad F/JY seating and is available for lease. It has the advantage of UK register for UK ACMI work and, before anyone jumps in with fuel efficiency, the lease costs are a fraction of the twin engine alternatives. For relatively low annual hours perhaps 20% of what’s needed to cover the cost of an A350 - It costs great deal to buy/lease a very efficient aircraft which have to fly 4000 hrs+ each year to recover the ownership costs. There’s a good chance you’ll see LF flying pax this year. The 600’s are all planned as freighters/spares I believe.
FF

Flightrider
25th Feb 2024, 13:05

Yes - the runway turning circles at Antigua and especially St Lucia don't work for the 340-600. Barbados is OK apart from the limitations that you have on alternates with the 340-600 due to the issues. The 346 would be a non-starter for the P&O flying which is mostly Barbados but has some other flying involved.

amyisraelchai
25th Feb 2024, 13:12
I was of the impression that they are already configuring at least 2 a/c for pax ACMI having originally intended to begin ops last summer.

rog747
25th Feb 2024, 13:28
Yes - the runway turning circles at Antigua and especially St Lucia don't work for the 340-600. Barbados is OK apart from the limitations that you have on alternates with the 340-600 due to the issues. The 346 would be a non-starter for the P&O flying which is mostly Barbados but has some other flying involved.

Ah yes, many thanks for that info.
I knew the -300 series was OK to the islands but the -600 is a super long heavy.

OK back to the drawing board....

Flitefone
25th Feb 2024, 15:04
Of the aircraft currently in Johannesburg, 2 are already converted cargo & the other is undergoing a conversion.
Currently in BOH are 3x A340-600 which haven’t moved in a while, 1x A340-500 and an already converted cargo A340-600.

Allegedly European have a number of ex Iberian A340-600s in Madrid too.

I can’t imagine any of the already converted/ undergoing freight conversion A340s will be reconfigured to passenger carrying.

…..and factories in China close for about 10 days for Lunar New Year holidays, freight traffic drops right back for a couple of weeks as a result over mid February. Chengdu back operating again today.

Wycombe
25th Feb 2024, 21:21

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of them actually have a main deck freight door - or is that planned?

Boebus_1
26th Feb 2024, 04:17
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of them actually have a main deck freight door - or is that planned?

Correct, currently no main deck freight doors.

Not sure whether it is planned to have them installed. I cannot say I’ve ever seen an A340 with one to be honest. I’m not sure whether any conversion to that level have ever been made.

Wycombe
26th Feb 2024, 07:15
Correct, currently no main deck freight doors.

Not sure whether it is planned to have them installed. I cannot say I’ve ever seen an A340 with one to be honest. I’m not sure whether any conversion to that level have ever been made.

Thanks. According to their website, the "converted" freighters can carry up to 40.5t upstairs. That must take a lot of manual loading, with long turnarounds.

GALWC
27th Feb 2024, 07:29
From my understanding, quick turnarounds, because the upper deck cargo is all palletised, enters via the lower deck lift/elevator and raised to the upper deck, then rolled into position.
I would have thought prospects are good for cargo operations. Huge delays through Panama are unlikely to get resolved any time soon, and Suez, well that's anyones guess.

dixi188
27th Feb 2024, 08:28
Not sure that's how it's done on the A340s. There often seems to be big catering type trucks at the main deck rear pax doors when I drive past. I hadn't heard of lifts being installed. I think the cargo is loaded into roller stillages that are wheeled into position and lashed down. A friend's son does 10 hour shifts sorting cargo in the old Channex cargo shed.
We used to be able to carry 15 tonnes in the belly holds of an A300 so I would think the A340 could carry around 25 to 30 tonnes down below.
There is a link to some info at post #613.

GALWC
27th Feb 2024, 09:35
Thanks for that dixi. I must have been relying on plans of another conversion company, LCF from Seattle, which showed they were offering the conversion with front/rear internal lifts, or both. Reported in Flight Global at the time.
I suppose I was assuming this was the current system used on the European conversions, but if you've noted them using external lifts at Bournemouth you are no doubt right.
They still seem to achieve a quick turnaround at Bournemouth, with the aircraft on its way back to China within a few hours

Flitefone
27th Feb 2024, 11:44
The information is all out there:

https://european.aero

who developed and certified with CAA and EASA their own freighter conversion (no main deck freight door).

and Avensis https://www.avensisaviation.com
who have converted A330 for TAP and Maleth, with a reversible solution (no freight door) and who offer the internal elevator system and freight door conversion for 340, which the new German carrier USC has ordered.
FF

annakm
27th Feb 2024, 18:06
Not quite sure if this is the right place to post this, but a satisfactory and safe conclusion, an scenario that is practised regularly in the SIM but fortunately a rare event.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/24147069.ryanair-flight-bournemouth-forced-divert-gatwick-airport/

Sharklet_321
11th Mar 2024, 14:13
Anyone know what's going on with European Cargo? They seemed to stop going to Chengdu a while back and instead have been doing sporadic rotations to Kashgar. This seemed to stop over Chinese new year week as you would expect. However with that now over they've not exactly sprung back into action and one of the two active aircraft seems to have gone down to Johannesburg where at least two others are already - I think they might do heavy maintenance down there?

Anyway that seems to leave them with just one serviceable aircraft. Has the original Chengdu contract ended or is something else going on?

I know from working on the maritime shipping fringes that global logistics is in a rather sticky place so far this year but thought e-commerce related flows would be less affected?

A new cargo route has started to HAK (Haikou on Hainan) 3 times per week. Alongside the 6 weekly service to Chengdu and 3 times weekly service from Billund - which connects from Hangzhou.

Sharklet_321
18th Mar 2024, 17:23
Bournemouth handled 43,720 passengers in January 2024 which was up by 11% on January 2023. Big growth on Krakow and Wroclaw. Reasonable growth in other areas. Barbados showing 0 compared to over 850 in January 2023 so not sure what happened there as Bournemouth did have flights to/from Barbados in January.

Year to date now standing at 954,000, so getting closer to that 1m marker last seen in 2008.

Le Tirer
19th Mar 2024, 00:04
A new cargo route has started to HAK (Haikou on Hainan) 3 times per week. Alongside the 6 weekly service to Chengdu and 3 times weekly service from Billund - which connects from Hangzhou.

The Haikou route started on March 8th and has so far operated Friday, Monday and Wednesday, returning Sunday, Wednesday and Friday.
The Chengdu route is currently only operating 3 times a week departing Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, returning Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Hopefully this will increase to 6 weekly when a 3rd aircraft is back in service.
The twice weekly Billund route normally operates on a Monday and Wednesday although it didn't run last Monday and today's flight was cancelled.

Barbados showing 0 compared to over 850 in January 2023 so not sure what happened there as Bournemouth did have flights to/from Barbados in January.
I believe the CAA figures for January are correct with no Barbados flights. I think the only TOM B787 movement was for maintenance at Gama.

Sharklet_321
20th Mar 2024, 06:55
Yesterdays Billund flight operated as usual

Le Tirer
20th Mar 2024, 09:59
Yesterdays Billund flight operated as usual

Sorry Sharklet_321, I usually find your posts interesting and factual but I have to disagree with you on this one.

As I said, the Billund flight 'normally' operates twice weekly on a Monday and Wednesday. Since the route began on October 30th last year it has operated the following flights:
Monday Arrivals 12 Departures 12
Tuesday Arrivals 2 Departures 2 (14/11 and yesterday)
Wednesday Arrivals 11 Departures 9 (2 night stops departing Thursday)
Thursday Arrivals 5 Departures 7

In 2023, there were 7 weeks with one flight and 2 weeks with 2 flights
So far in 2024, there have been 2 weeks with 1 flight and 8 weeks with 2 flights.

It will be interesting to see if there is a second flight this week.

Flitefone
20th Mar 2024, 13:37
The Maersk 767s seem to suffer tech issues quite frequently, for instance the aircraft due in Monday this week hasn’t flown since arriving in Billund from China, and having its onward leg canx at the last minute. The aircraft was replaced by Tuesday’s flight - delayed from Monday it seems. Almost certainly a late tech issue. On another occasion a few weeks back the aircraft leaving Hurn for return to Denmark started and taxied to the runway, and lined up for departure, after a few minutes holding returned to stand and overnighted at Hurn. The route seems to have settled at twice weekly -good - but not great OTP with the elderly 767s - less good.

FF

Sharklet_321
21st Mar 2024, 08:29
The Billund flight appears to have switched its days of week to Tue and Thu from Mon and Wed. To confirm, it is twice a week not three times a week as I had mentioned in a previous post.

MARKEYD
21st Mar 2024, 20:03
EasyJet are continuing their increased service to Geneva for next winter which is daily except Wednesday
Double daily on a Saturday and again for 6 weeks on a Sunday

TUI seems to be having a shuffle with the schedules for next summer 25 with big gaps and missing a lot of the increased flights for this summer
It’s way to early to speculate for S25 , they usually announce new routes around mid April but at the moment the 2nd based aircraft looks to be staying

Markushillman
25th Mar 2024, 21:58
According to SPD_travels on X who is very reliable there is a airline announcing a new base at its spiritual home tomorrow

Jet2 at Bournemouth anyone?

In all seriousness though will be interested to see if TUI do perhaps have something new in store for 2025 for Bournemouth

pug
25th Mar 2024, 22:10
According to SPD_travels on X who is very reliable there is a airline announcing a new base at its spiritual home tomorrow

In all seriousness though will be interested to see if TUI do perhaps have something new in store for 2025 for Bournemouth

Very cryptic, Jet2 at BOH would make sense on a spiritual home level. They’ve apparently been eyeing up the South Coast recently as it’s the last unserved region on their UK network. However, could BOH support a big enough base?

Im perplexed by the spiritual home statement, am I missing someting?

ATNotts
25th Mar 2024, 22:12

I've been racking my brain over that cryptic report and hadn't thought of Jet2, but it fits perfectly and to be honest there isn't another UK carrier that doesn't have a base at its "spiritual home", at least not one I can think off.

Methinks 3 x 738 base from late March 2025. Pure conjecture on my behalf. If slots aren't available at LGW, BOH is the obvious choice from which to enter the Southern England fray. Perhaps all will be revealed this week.

Albert Hall
25th Mar 2024, 22:19
Spiritual home could refer to BA with BOAC’s base operations at Hurn. But somehow I very much doubt it ! Jet2 far more likely and they were of course based there as Channel Express for many years.

Markushillman
25th Mar 2024, 22:30
Of course the only other airline could be Virgin to Gatwick as I believe that's where they started, however seems more likely now I think of it being Jet2 at Bournemouth as it is where it all started for them as Channel express

Who knows my jet2 was a bit tongue in cheek, however looks like it will be revealed tomorrow whoever and wherever it is.

pug
25th Mar 2024, 22:52
Of course the only other airline could be Virgin to Gatwick as I believe that's where they started, however seems more likely now I think of it being Jet2 at Bournemouth as it is where it all started for them as Channel express

Who knows my jet2 was a bit tongue in cheek, however looks like it will be revealed tomorrow whoever and wherever it is.

Virgin at Gatwick did cross my mind after my previous post, would there be room for them?

jet2 at BOH would not be a surprise IMO, guess all is to be revealed tomorrow anyhow.

FRatSTN
25th Mar 2024, 23:22
https://rewardflightfinder.com/news-and-advice/virgin-atlantic-eyes-a-return-to-gatwick

My guess would be Virgin Gatwick if this has any weight to it.

I can't see Jet2 setting up a sizeable enough base at BOH. The bases they've set up in more recent years start with minimum 4 aircraft and have expanded within the first year of operations. Personally I think CWL would be a better fit for Jet2 and eventually, they'll find a way into LGW I'm sure.

pug
25th Mar 2024, 23:27

I can't see Jet2 setting up a sizeable enough base at BOH. The bases they've set up in more recent years start with minimum 4 aircraft and have expanded within the first year of operations. Personally I think CWL would be a better fit for Jet2 and eventually, they'll find a way into LGW I'm sure.

Think there might be a curve ball heading your way tomorrow then.. Again, just my opinion based on rumblings of recent times.

Travel Agent
26th Mar 2024, 07:13
List of routes showing on Jet2holidays this morning from April 25:IBZ

PMI

MAH

FUE

LPA

ACE

TFS

CFU

HER

RHO

ZTH

FAO

FNC

ALC

AYT

DLM

FRatSTN
26th Mar 2024, 07:22

Well I'll hapilly eat my words on this one. Jet2 Bournemouth routes now on sale for Summer 25. I'm sure someone will post the full details before long.

A great addition for Bournemouth and slightly different offering from Jet2. Given this is their first venture into a smaller UK regional airport (besides Blackpool when they were much less established on a national level), I wonder if this may lead into an eventual expansion into other smaller airports in time; ABZ, CWL, EXT, NWI to name a few examples.

sealo0
26th Mar 2024, 07:51
I think it would be helpful if BOH built another shed, it will be a bit of a squeeze especially in the Customs hall.

Come to think of it, it might stir TUI up!

laviation
26th Mar 2024, 07:53
Brilliant news for Bournemouth!

Markushillman
26th Mar 2024, 08:05
Interestingly quite a lot of crossover between the 3 based airlines. Perhaps too much?

Alicante - Ryanair, Jet2
Antalya - TUI, Jet2
Corfu - TUI, Jet2
Dalaman - TUI, Jet2
Faro - Ryanair, Jet2
Fuerteventura - Jet2
Funchal - Jet2
Gran Canaria - Ryanair, TUI, Jet2
Heraklion - TUI, Jet2
Ibiza - TUI, Jet2
Lanzarote - Ryanair, TUI, Jet2
Menorca - TUI, Jet2
Palma De Mallorca - Ryanair, TUI, Jet2
Rhodes - TUI, Jet2
Tenerife South - Ryanair, TUI, Jet2
Zakynthos - TUI, Jet2

Although looking at it I dont think Ryanair will be too fused, however TUI now have Jet2 on all but 2 of their routes. Is there enough to share is my question. Or will this effect TUI in the long run.

FRatSTN
26th Mar 2024, 08:21
Interestingly quite a lot of crossover between the 3 based airlines. Perhaps too much?

Alicante - Ryanair, Jet2
Antalya - TUI, Jet2
Corfu - TUI, Jet2
Dalaman - TUI, Jet2
Faro - Ryanair, Jet2
Fuerteventura - Jet2
Funchal - Jet2
Heraklion - TUI, Jet2
Ibiza - TUI, Jet2
Menorca - TUI, Jet2
Rhodes - TUI, Jet2
Zakynthos - TUI, Jet2

Although looking at it I dont think Ryanair will be too fused, however TUI now have Jet2 on all but 2 of their routes. Is there enough to share is my question. Or will this effect TUI in the long run.

That's assuming Ryanair keep the same routes in S25, but in any case I doubt Jet2 will phase them too much.

TUI Gran Canaria is not on sale for S25 (ends April and resumes October 25) so looks like that won't operate.

Kefalonia and Paphos are the 2 routes that remain exclusive to TUI., but frankly the TUI schedule for S25 is still a mess so that could all change. I imagine they wouldn't give up on their newly added second based airframe just yet.

Knife-Edge
26th Mar 2024, 09:00
Looking at the frequency (once or twice a week), is that two based aircraft for Jet2 ?

Markushillman
26th Mar 2024, 09:11
Looking at the frequency (once or twice a week), is that a two based aircraft for Jet2 ?

Yes 2 Aircraft

LW940
26th Mar 2024, 09:28
It also looks like for S25 TUI have reduced frequency on the likes of AYT, HER, IBZ & MAH where they now have competition and increased EFL where LS are not competing

Knife-Edge
26th Mar 2024, 09:40

Alicante - Ryanair, Jet2
Antalya - TUI, Jet2
Corfu - TUI, Jet2
Dalaman - TUI, Jet2
Faro - Ryanair, Jet2
Fuerteventura - Jet2
Funchal - Jet2
Heraklion - TUI, Jet2
Ibiza - TUI, Jet2
Menorca - TUI, Jet2
Rhodes - TUI, Jet2
Zakynthos - TUI, Jet2

I doubt it. I suspect the majority of package holidaymakers still go out of area, to Gatwick or Bristol, leaving plenty of scope for the airport to capture more of its own local market with more choice and more price competition for the consumer.

Sharklet_321
26th Mar 2024, 10:12
Great news for the central southern region - Jet2 holidays are often sought out by the public and Jet2 tend to hold a market of their own so this is very positive for the airport.

The amount of cross-over is slightly surprising given that several other obvious routes are left unserved. Funchal and Fuerteventura are good calls, as are additional services to Palma, Tenerife, Alicante and Faro which soak up demand like a sponge.

I am quite surprised we are not seeing the likes of Dubrovnik, Split, Pula, Larnaca, Malaga, Verona, Almeria, Reus, Skiathos, Bourgas, Izmir, Keflavik, Bodrum, Naples, Warsaw, Bucharest which are all left unserved. Perhaps this will be something we see in 2026, 2027 etc as the base develops.

I am not sure there is the demand for two airlines serving Antalya four times per week as an example, but I would like to be proved wrong.

Ryanair may react by committing to add their intended third based aircraft for Summer 2025 perhaps to some of those destinations highlighted that remain unserved.

shamrock7seal
26th Mar 2024, 10:34
I would absolutely expect some sort of bullish response by Ryanair in 2025

Knife-Edge
26th Mar 2024, 11:06
Should bring critical mass and greatly help general awareness for BOH and that you no longer need to go to Gatwick to start your holidays. Over next couple of years 2xTUI 3xJet2 3xRyanair should hopefully be realistic and sustainable for the south coast.

Markushillman
26th Mar 2024, 11:15
Great news for the central southern region - Jet2 holidays are often sought out by the public and Jet2 tend to hold a market of their own so this is very positive for the airport.

The amount of cross-over is slightly surprising given that several other obvious routes are left unserved. Funchal and Fuerteventura are good calls, as are additional services to Palma, Tenerife, Alicante and Faro which soak up demand like a sponge.

I am quite surprised we are not seeing the likes of Dubrovnik, Split, Pula, Larnaca, Malaga, Verona, Almeria, Reus, Skiathos, Bourgas, Izmir, Keflavik, Bodrum, Naples, Warsaw, Bucharest which are all left unserved. Perhaps this will be something we see in 2026, 2027 etc as the base develops.

I am not sure there is the demand for two airlines serving Antalya four times per week as an example, but I would like to be proved wrong.

Ryanair may react by committing to add their intended third based aircraft for Summer 2025 perhaps to some of those destinations highlighted that remain unserved.

Has Ryanair stated they wish to bring in a 3rd based aircraft in the furture?

Sharklet_321
26th Mar 2024, 11:30
It was strongly rumoured for 2024 but was postponed alledgedly due to aircraft delivery delays

sealo0
26th Mar 2024, 11:49
It was strongly rumoured for 2024 but was postponed alledgedly due to aircraft delivery delays
Only because they are buying Boeing.

Markushillman
26th Mar 2024, 12:02

Seems likely then as more aircraft come online.

Would just like to shout out the owners RCA/Rigby Group how they have done well in building new/maintaining partnerships/commercial agreements with new airlines and bringing new routes, be that Ryanair at Exeter and Norwich (even with that 10 fee at NWI), and of course now at Bournemouth with more based aircraft and jet2 arrival. Of course people will say well if these airlines come any airport won't stop them but even Jet2 will have wanted certain things that the owners will have had to agree too. All the time it seams maintaining a healthy aviation sector in the Rigby Group. Very impressed overall

SWBKCB
26th Mar 2024, 12:08
It was strongly rumoured for 2024 but was postponed allegedly due to aircraft delivery delays

Which has covered Ryanair with Teflon - "not our fault, guv!"

shamrock7seal
26th Mar 2024, 14:02
Jet2 Summer 25 schedule
Monday
0655 - Faro - jet2
0815 - Palma De Mallorca - Jet2
1410 - Rhodes - jet2
1445 - Lanzarote - Jet2
Tuesday
0720 - Alicante - jet2
0825 - Crete - jet2
1355 - Tenerife - jet2
Wednesday
0630 - Corfu - jet2
0700 - Palma De Mallorca - Jet2
1330 - Antalya - jet2
1430 - Fuerteventura -Jet2
Thursday
0620 - Dalaman - jet2
0635 - Zante - jet2
1515 - Madeira - jet2
1635 - Ibiza - Jet2
Friday
0655 - Faro - jet2
0815 - Palma De Mallorca - Jet2
1355 - Tenerife - jet2
1445 - Lanzarote - Jet2
Saturday
0645 - Tenerife - jet2
0720 - Alicante - jet2
1355 - Antalya - jet2
1640 - Palma De Mallorca - Jet2
Sunday
0630 - Gran Canaria - Jet2
0800 - Menorca - Jet2
1425 - Dalaman - jet2
1635 - Ibiza - Jet2

EI-BUD
26th Mar 2024, 19:40
What a shot in the arm for the airport. This will turbo charge the numbers and keep Ryanair firmly in the game, they are not one to retreat.
Jet2 quite bullish and significantly differentiated to not be worrying about Ryanair. Will this hamper opportunities at the neighbouring airport? With a bit of luck easyJet may expand next year.

MARKEYD
26th Mar 2024, 21:17
Evening Troops

Well I certainly didn’t see this one coming but a very welcome addition and one that will compliment the airport incredibly well

The destinations are all very safe to start off with and they have most definitely done there homework with Hays Travel and other independents to realise this is where folks want to travel

A cautious approach to start with , 2 aircraft makes perfect sense
Nothing at all for Ryanair to worry about but TUI need to get a better understanding of what’s happening but give them their due this summer they are expanding so let’s see how it works for them

Its work in progress for next summer S25 and probably a better idea mid April as to how this pans out when they release the revised schedule

Needless to say a lot of work is needed for the airport infrastructure to improve now , particularly in the car parks , check in hall and arrivals area but something Jet 2 would have discussed with the Rigby Group at BOH in order to set up a base here

There is plenty of room to build onto the existing terminal without causing any problems, a massive area between the departure terminal and arrival’s building

Very exciting times moving forward, well done Bournemouth

rog747
27th Mar 2024, 07:21
I would absolutely expect some sort of bullish response by Ryanair in 2025

Ryanair do not sell traditional Package Holidays (as we know them)
That is the difference.

TUI Holidays and Jet2 Holidays (now the UK's #1 Holiday Operator) at BOH will be competing for the package holiday market (which is strong here in this area).
Folk will not have to trek to LGW or to BRS.
EXT with TUI is a pretty small base with just one 737 and used to be much busier in the past.

Knife-Edge
27th Mar 2024, 10:18
With Jet2 clearly planning ‘growth’ and the potential for a 3rd Ryanair based I would think that 2M passengers per annum would be the target now for the airport, potentially as early as 2026 or 2027. Will depend a bit on how extensive the Jet2 winter schedule is and if TUI can hold on to their slice of the cake.

Skipness One Foxtrot
27th Mar 2024, 10:29
I was very sceptical when Jet2 launched STN at the home of Ryanair, I thought they'd be eaten alive. Turns out they seem to have carved out their own successful niche at Stansted. So Jet2 managed to succeed vs. Ryanair at STN where easyJet basically gave up, so there's room for both at BOH I suspect, if they're smart.

FRatSTN
27th Mar 2024, 10:43
I think BOH is still a way off 2 mppa. Assuming Ryanair keep similar levels in 2025 they'd probably be looking around 1.3 to 1.4 million in 2025 calendar year. Still a great number by all means.

Looking at Jet2 and TUI S25 now and overlaying Ryanair's S24 programme for a peak Saturday in August, the departure schedule would look like this:

FR 0630 BUD
LS 0645 TFS
FR 0655 NTE
TOM 0700 IBZ
LS 0720 ALC
TOM 0740 PMI
FR 0745 VCE
FR 0805 GRO
FR 0835 MLA
FR 1030 AGP
FR 1210 ALC
FR 1235 CCF
LS 1355 AYT
TOM 1400 PFO
FR 1405 WRO
TOM 1435 RHO
LS 1640 PMI
FR 1715 FAO
FR 1715 PMI
RK 2115 EDI

The main observation for me would be that morning period where there's 9 departures in basically a 2 hour window. Of course only the BUD and NTE are on the based Ryanair aircraft but on a Saturday morning in S24, Ryanair have 3 fairly early morning turnarounds on top of that (VCE, GRO and MLA). I'm not familiar enough with Bournemouth Airport to know if that would actually be achievable with the infrastructure available. Of course Ryanair will inevitably change stuff around for S25 but as BOH will not be a fully slot co-ordinated airport, there's probably very little RCA could actually do to smooth the flow of traffic.

It's a great problem to have of course.

The Nutts Mutts
27th Mar 2024, 10:53
Based on my experiences of flying from there this year, having four 737s departing/landing within a short period will make the terminal extremely crowded and I think the facilities will be bursting at the seams.

shamrock7seal
27th Mar 2024, 18:09
The departure terminal at BOH only has 6 gates so they would need to expand that to at least 8 as some flights from non-based aircraft start to interact with the 6-based aircraft. The arrivals hall including the border force area really needs a drastic improvement in order to accept more than two flights arriving simultaneously.

The airport is in need of 1) a hotel to ensure early morning departures for customers driving into Bournemouth from further afield and 2) some sort of improvement to the diabolical public transport options into the airport from the train station.

If the airport has any desire to get close to 2mppa, which is a distinct possibility in 2026/7, then they must do this. Jet2 has already alluded to wanting to put more aircraft into the airport after the initial two and it is very likely that Ryanair will want to maintain its foothold and increase their presence. I still expect Ryanair to launch Belfast services for example.

One airline that may also want in on the action is easyJet. Whilst they are flirting with some destinations from SOU, they continue to operate a dual service from both BOH and SOU to GVA. BOH has the upper hand on this dual service with the most capacity and this is no different in 2024/25. I could easily see easyJet wanting to do some more from BOH as the infrastructure is developed. A complimentary network to Jet2 & Ryanair could be developed including Amsterdam. SOU will not want to damage KLM services to AMS so this is a way in for BOH.

It's going to be a very interesting time for BOH. There is scope for it to be at least 25% the size of BRS when comparing catchment areas resulting in mppa of 2.5 to 3.

dixi188
27th Mar 2024, 21:19
Jet2 did BFS-BOH-BFS back around 2005. It didn't last long. I was on the first flight to BFS, about 9 pax including 3 of us who were Channex staff.

Irishshamrock
27th Mar 2024, 21:24
Took a while to take off but it carried around 5,000 pax a month eventually. The reason it didn’t last long was because it was a daily service! Far too much capacity.

rustythumb
27th Mar 2024, 21:36
One airline that may also want in on the action is easyJet.

I think Easyjet could well follow suit now that Ryanair, TUI and Jet2 have given BOH a vote of confidence. I kind of think that BOH may follow in the footsteps of East Midlands, Belfast International, Bristol, consolidating around an offering of Ryanair, TUI, Jet2 and hopefully Easyjet a year or so from now.

Of course there will be overlap particularly on Spanish sun routes between the 3 principal airlines at BOH, but hopefully the next couple of years will see this ironed out into a wider range of destinations with better frequencies.

I think Easyjet could come in and serve coverage gaps like Amsterdam, Belfast Intl, Bordeaux, Jersey, Larnaca, Paris, Sharm El Sheikh, Split, Tel Aviv which I think would appeal to the central southern market and some of those longer range destinations like Larnaca, Sharm El Sheikh, Split and Tel Aviv can't be offered by Easyjet from SOU so you'd have to go to Bristol, Heathrow or Gatwick currently.

A hotel, reconfigured arrivals and departures and an hourly (min) bus service between Bournemouth travel interchange and the airport surely need to be a part of short to medium-term plans.

A spur from the quarry junction on the A338 needs to become a reality at some point also.

A big problem is the council. They are broke, and a sizeable contingent of the councillors are from the green party/just stop oil apologists / only interested in active travel / those who don't like Bournemouth getting the limelight over Poole or Christchurch. I can't see anyone at the council putting any weight behind supporting better road, heavy or light rail connections any time soon, unfortunately.

rustythumb
27th Mar 2024, 21:38
Jet2 did BFS-BOH-BFS back around 2005. It didn't last long. I was on the first flight to BFS, about 9 pax including 3 of us who were Channex staff.

I actually flew this route at the time - it was brilliant. I think I paid £19.99 to visit some friends in Belfast.

ShedDriver
27th Mar 2024, 21:46
I wonder if enticing National Express to either stop en route on the London Victoria services, or perhaps operate some sort of W pattern, would be a way of resolving the public transport issue. The coaches are designed for luggage in the hold and have ample space at the travel interchange which connects with many buses and the rail station.

Irishshamrock
28th Mar 2024, 09:49

That's because it was a daily service between Bournemouth and Blefast, far too much capacity back in 2005!!

shamrock7seal
28th Mar 2024, 10:45
Really good question, pretty sure at least some of them could be diverted for a quick drop off and pick up at the airport. National express will likely want some sort of funding to do that....

Sharklet_321
28th Mar 2024, 10:53
If easyJet were to set up a base at BOH could it potentially do a bit of w-flying into SOU? i.e BOH-PMI-SOU-PMI-BOH? To have a dual operation at both BOH and SOU, as they currently do with GVA, might solve some of the issues related to airport operational hours and 'defence' of the easyJet LGW operation by limiting growth of Ryanair, Jet2 and TUI at BOH. It also prevents others from entering SOU thus further protecting their large LGW ops.

colinhunn
28th Mar 2024, 10:57
Wonder if Regional and City had a word with Jet2 about NWI ?

sealo0
28th Mar 2024, 10:59
Taxi drivers must be rubbing their hands!

pamann
28th Mar 2024, 11:22
I think Easyjet could come in and serve coverage gaps like Amsterdam, Belfast Intl, Bordeaux, Jersey, Larnaca, Paris, Sharm El Sheikh, Split, Tel Aviv which I think would appeal to the central southern market and some of those longer range destinations like Larnaca, Sharm El Sheikh, Split and Tel Aviv can't be offered by Easyjet from SOU so you'd have to go to Bristol, Heathrow or Gatwick.

You do know where Split is right? It’s about 2 hours away in a country called Croatia. BOH-TLV is pure pie in the sky, even before that part of the world went mad. I think some folk are getting over excited. It’s great news that Bournemouth are gaining Jet2. Now let’s all just calm down and not get too carried away with pipe dreams.

Irishshamrock
28th Mar 2024, 18:09
Taxi drivers must be rubbing their hands!

The only ‘public transport’ option from Bournemouth. What a joke!

LTNman
28th Mar 2024, 21:26
https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/24211548.jet2-teases-growth-bournemouth-airport/

But Jet2 teased there is scope for even further expansion on top of this. Steve Heapy, chief executive of Jet2, said there could be even more planes landing at Bournemouth in the coming years.

shamrock7seal
28th Mar 2024, 21:52
Heapy said they have no intention of stopping at two aircraft. According to the local paper BOH are working on an expansion programme to prepare the airport for subsequent Jet2 expansion after year one which seems very encouraging indeed. I could easily see a three aircraft fleet in 2026 if they simply add AGP, ALM, REU, BCN, VIE, LCA, DBV & NAP.

Jet2 will be doing their own ground handling at BOH, so getting to a minimum of 3 aircraft will be important for critical mass.

GayFriendly
28th Mar 2024, 22:08
I highly doubt Jet2 will stick with a 2 based aircraft base - I would imagine 4-6 based in next 2 years, this is what they do, they don't do small bases. There is huge growth potential for Jet2 out of BOH if the corresponding airport facilities and access routes are improved
​​

Knife-Edge
29th Mar 2024, 00:13
It wouldn’t surprise me if Jet2 actually wanted to start with 4 aircraft from the outset but BOH weren’t able to gear up for that sort of huge jump in demand for the start of the S25 season, hence a phased approach.

Irishshamrock
29th Mar 2024, 08:29
Scenario planning

if Jet2 were to ever get to 6 aircraft, then it would have an effect on what TUI can achieve from there. They would likely either remove one aircraft or close the base. Ryanair on the other hand may well also try and grow to perhaps 3 aircraft.

Winter seasonality

Currently there are only two ‘winter only’ destinations and those are Barbados and Geneva. Plenty of scope for significant expansion in the winter. This would aid the year-round expansion of based aircraft.

Long-haul & transitioning from minor to major regional airport

Barbados grew by 95% year in year, 2023 vs 2022, which is a route that could easily support a more regular weekly service. Mexico and Florida is also a possibility.

When BOH gets to a critical mass similar to that of Newcastle, then there is no reason why the airport can’t go after the likes of Emirates to Dubai, especially if London slots are scarce and the third runway at Heathrow doesn’t get built. BOH anticipated 4mppa should Heathrow’s 3rd runway not get built or 3mppa if it does.

Sharklet_321
29th Mar 2024, 08:52
Would Jet2 ever consider Jersey from Bournemouth? Used to be a route that supported up to 7 services on a Summer Saturday by Jersey European F-27’s. It suffered when the new terminal at SOU was opened and the train station there made improvements. But the market must still be there in some form. Palmair operated regular Jersey services using their 146-300’s.

rog747
29th Mar 2024, 09:35
Would Jet2 ever consider Jersey from Bournemouth? Used to be a route that supported up to 7 services on a Summer Saturday by Jersey European F-27’s. It suffered when the new terminal at SOU was opened and the train station there made improvements. But the market must still be there in some form. Palmair operated regular Jersey services using their 146-300’s.

It's possible if they find they have some 'downtime' for an aircraft to pop over for a quick there and back...
Jet2 do fly seasonal JER's from EMA, NCL, LBA and possibly LPL? (But EZY already are on the LPL-JER route)
Palmair did the JER day trip flights to get the 146 there for a Palma W flight.

With Jet2 and TUI both now going head to head at BOH next summer with 4 or 5 based 737-800's there selling package holidays (plus Ryanair strongly increasing their schedules/routes and it's based aircraft) leaps BOH into a league of the likes it has never seen before.

BOH in summer 2025 will be 'Holiday Airport Central', and that's what they do.

So to add in a weekend JERSEY bumper then that's a pretty good idea but only if they have the aircraft to do that....Jet2 would not want a stranded 737 there if the dreaded summer fog comes in.

rog747
29th Mar 2024, 10:10
Scenario planning----Winter seasonality
Currently there are only two ‘winter only’ destinations and those are Barbados and Geneva. Plenty of scope for significant expansion in the winter. This would aid the year-round expansion of based aircraft.

Long-haul & transitioning from minor to major regional airport
Barbados grew by 95% year in year, 2023 vs 2022, which is a route that could easily support a more regular weekly service. Mexico and Florida is also a possibility.

When BOH gets to a critical mass similar to that of Newcastle, then there is no reason why the airport can’t go after the likes of Emirates to Dubai, especially if London slots are scarce and the third runway at Heathrow doesn’t get built. BOH anticipated 4mppa should Heathrow’s 3rd runway not get built or 3mppa if it does.

I admire your enthusiastic candor but BOH is not Gatwick...nor NCL.

Winter holidays flights that do sell well from BOH are Canaries, Cyprus, and in the past Madeira and Egypt, (but only if TUI decide to start up Egypt again because security is so volatile). Jet2 are starting FNC.
Cape Verde would do well from BOH, TUI flies there from many UK airports, and TUI have that destination sewn up, Jet2 do not go there, nor do Jet2 go to Egypt nor Tunisia.
Banjul and Dakar, TUI sells only from LGW and MAN.
Jet2 could offer ALC and AGP during the winter as these are popular and have not been served by TUI for years.

Ski flights - sell very well at both BOH and SOU with strong demand, hence Easyjet flying from both airports, and from BRS and LGW too, plus British Airways Cityflyer from SOU.
TUI Holidays (Crystal Ski) and Inghams have both yet to expand SKI flights from BOH using TUI Airways BOH based aircraft, but I can see Jet2 expanding with winter SKI holidays from BOH.
SKI flights though, are mainly weekend departures.

As for Barbados, it is 'Cruise ship alley' and both P&O and Hays Travel offer a few selected BOH departures during the winter that are always a sell-out, but would a weekly winter BGI schedule work?
I doubt it, although maybe some high season Xmas departures but there are simply no planes around to do these as we have a shortage of wide body long haul aircraft in the UK, and BOH has no such based aircraft there.
All such BGI flights either position empty into BOH to operate the flight, or are flown on a W pattern.

Re other long haul destinations from BOH;
Orlando is no longer de rigueur and the USA is so expensive nowadays for family holidays.
So in the near to mid term, BOH will not see long haul charter holidays, let alone see long haul scheduled flights.
Bristol BRS no longer now has any long haul holiday charter or scheduled flights.

Irishshamrock
29th Mar 2024, 11:39
I didn’t know that BRS has seen all its charter long-haul offerings disappear. Before BOH sees any long-haul I would’ve thought it would go to BRS first but their runway isn’t that long. I know they’re working hard to get Turkish to Istanbul.

This Summer

What date does TUI base their second aircraft at BOH this summer?

Sotonsean
29th Mar 2024, 14:57
Cunard are basing the QUEEN ELIZABETH in the Caribbean for winter 2025/26 with 13 cruises offered, sailing round-trip from Barbados.

Surely BOH will be seeing a few extra flights to Barbados for winter 2025/26 on behalf of Cunard as well as for P&O Cruises.

On another note and just a thought btw.

With such a large Turkish population on the south coast I wonder if BOH at some point could possibly attract a Turkish carrier. A carrier such as Pegasus Airlines or SunExpress.

If the likes of Pegasus Airlines opened up a link from SAW to BOH it could offer so many onward connections. The catchment area for BOH along with the fairly large Turkish population on the south coast, could this be a possibility?

I'm obviously aware of the fact that their are existing flights from BOH to Turkey, but an airline offering onward connections such as Pegasus Airlines would be such a benefit to the airport.

Pegasus Airlines currently serves BHX, MAN, and STN. Adding BOH would give the airline greater coverage in England and the unserved south central area.

I know others are are going to say. But Pegasus Airlines don't even serve the likes of BRS, EDI, GLA or NCL so why BOH. Sure I would think that BRS would probably be a better option for Pegasus Airlines but I'm here discussing the possibilities for BOH. An airport close enough to me to be interested in, an airport I've always been fond of.

I look forward to reading what others think.

rog747
29th Mar 2024, 15:33
Cunard are basing the QUEEN ELIZABETH in the Caribbean for winter 2025/26 with 13 cruises offered, sailing round-trip from Barbados.

Surely BOH will be seeing a few extra flights to Barbados for winter 2025/26 on behalf of Cunard as well as for P&O Cruises.
On another note and just a thought btw.
With such a large Turkish population on the south coast I wonder if BOH at some point could possibly attract a Turkish carrier. A carrier such as Pegasus Airlines or SunExpress.

I look forward to reading what others think.

Great post, thanks.

Firstly there are loads of new Turkish entries that have been flying or planning to fly in to BRS Bristol - We will have to wait and see if they all stay the course.
I was surprised at the number of new flights.
Is this all seasonal?
As for BOH with a LCC flying to Turkey?
I'm not quite sure of that market demand. I've not got any info sorry.

As for Cunard's QE Caribbean fly/cruises -
I have just noted that QE's cruises are all Miami based, not based BGI, is that so?

It's well known that we have a shortage of wide body long haul charter aircraft (and airlines) so I wonder who will be flying for Cunard?.
In the past Cunard chartered Britannia Airways, and then Virgin Atlantic for it's San Juan based cruises flying from LGW.
Cunard used British Airways 767's chartered from LHR for their QE Mediterranean Fly-Cruises from ATH BCN FCO IST and VCE.

They (Cunard) will usually look for a legacy/premium charter airline.
So they may well also use BA (LHR) and Virgin (LHR) scheduled flights, but that is a lot of seats to buy in, and also use Norse (LGW) maybe?
As it is a MIA Miami start then Cunard will be also attracting a huge American 'home' crowd.

As for any BOH flights for Cunard's QE cruises, yes I dare say that Hays Travel may well charter planes for a few selected departures but who would they use for flights from BOH to MIA?.

P&O have ditched Maleth Aero (what a PR disaster!) for the 2024/2025 cruise season but they have not announced yet who they are using for the extra LGW and MAN flights to BGI and ANU (along with the existing TUI contract).

Sotonsean
29th Mar 2024, 15:55
Great post, thanks.

Firstly, there are loads of new Turkish entries that have been flying or planning to fly in to BRS Bristol . We will have to wait and see if they all stay the course.
I was surprised at the number of new flights.
Is this all seasonal?
As for BOH with an LCC flying to Turkey?
I'm not quite sure of that market demand. I've not got any info sorry.

As for Cunard's QE Caribbean fly/cruises -
I have just noted that QE's cruises are all Miami based, not based BGI, is that so?

It's well known that we have a shortage of wide body long haul charter aircraft (and airlines) so I wonder who will be flying for Cunard?.
In the past Cunard chartered Britannia Airways, and then Virgin Atlantic for it's San Juan based cruises flying from LGW.
Cunard used British Airways 767's chartered from LHR for their QE Mediterranean Fly-Cruises from ATH BCN FCO and VCE.

They (Cunard) will usually look for a legacy/premium charter airline.
So they may well also use BA (LHR) and Virgin (LHR) scheduled flights, but that is a lot of seats to buy in, and also use Norse (LGW) maybe?
As it is a MIA Miami start then Cunard will be also attracting a huge American 'home' crowd.

As for any BOH flights for Cunard's QE cruises, yes I dare say that Hays Travel may well charter planes for a few selected departures but who would they use for flights to MIA?.

P&O have ditched Maleth Aero (what a PR disaster!) for the 2024/2025 cruise season but they have not announced yet who they are using for the extra LGW and MAN flights to BGI and ANU (along with the existing TUI contract).

ROG I'm absolutely ashamed of myself. The QUEEN ELIZABETH as you have rightly pointed is indeed being based in Miami rather than Barbados for winter 2025/26. It was an absolute school boy error on my behalf. I wear my Cunard White Star badge with pride and I made such a stupid mistake 🙃

But I'm pleased that you enjoyed reading the post, and I appreciate your response back.

Regards to market demand for BOH to Turkey.

There is a fairly large Turkish population within the airports catchment area. Southampton and Eastleigh, for example, the local Turkish diaspora is fairly large and increasing and I'm sure it's the same in Bournemouth.

Plus, any onward connections by the likes of Pegasus Airlines from SAW could open up so many destinations from BOH.

But as I mentioned in my post it was just a thought.

rog747
29th Mar 2024, 16:14
LOL don't fall too far on to your White Star dinner knife....I didn't even know yet of those new MIAMI based cruises and I get loads of Cunard junk mail each week with them rather flashy brochures!
As for a BOH charter for one or two of those cruises then its a winner as far as Hays Travel are concerned, just got no planes tho' :(

EXEL1966
29th Mar 2024, 16:17
Jet 2 are advertising on You Tube that the first 1000 bookings out of BOH will receive complimentary fast tracking through the airport.

MARKEYD
29th Mar 2024, 17:58
Let’s not get ahead of ourselves with all this information about more routes and airlines coming to Bournemouth ( I know it’s only wishful thinking)

Its been a massive news week for Bournemouth but the work starts now on controlled expansion this summer
TUI have an extra aircraft about to arrive and FR return with the busiest summer for them so far
The terminal and infrastructure needs to be looked at very carefully this summer and plans are in place for this already

However with Jet 2 arriving in S25 even more will need to be done which no doubt will be top priority now before any more aircraft / airlines venture in

Terminal expansion
Car Parking

Sharklet_321
30th Mar 2024, 10:46
I would expect some sort of shake up from TUI for Summer 2025.

They no doubt would have been informed ahead of time of Jet2’s announcement which may be one reason why - although Summer 2025 still has two based aircraft - some destinations are showing one less weekly frequency.

I would expect TUI to announce some different options therefore to fill those gaps and perhaps we will see Naples, Dubrovnik, Reus or something as alternatives to the second weekly Antalya, Dalaman and Rhodes for example.

rog747
30th Mar 2024, 11:07
A Lot of folk have been asking for years for Naples NAP (Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Capri and Ischia) and TUI have their inhouse Italy brand Citalia.
Holiday changeover day is MON and FRI.

Another summer Italy destination very popular is Verona VRN for Lake Garda and Dolomites etc -
TUI Holidays offer holidays from LGW and from BRS, and they could seek to share a BOH flight with Ingham's who once used to charter a couple of Flybe flights each week from SOU to VRN.
Holiday changeover day is WED and SAT.

DBV Dubrovnik is another market that would do well from BOH.
Holiday changeover day is THUR and SUN.

Reus REU is mainly TUE plus also FRI and SAT - a popular Spanish Costa...

All of the above are ''short'' flights and could fit in with another rotation if there are gaps on those days.

Holiday changeover days shown are for TUI Holidays, and other mainstream brands, such as Inghams and Citalia.

MARKEYD
30th Mar 2024, 11:33
TUI have filled in their S25 programme with the 2 aircraft fully committed for the summer season

Kefalonia is now 2x week and one of the Antalya flights is now operated by a 3rd party carrier to make way for this extra service

TUI usually introduce new destinations mid April but it looks full up already

I would suspect that Jet 2 will be the company to introduce new destinations as discussed
TUI really do like the safe route

Sharklet_321
30th Mar 2024, 12:12
Rog - really informative post thank you
MARKEYD - thanks I didn’t realise they had filled in the gaps and added frequency on Kefalonia.

shamrock7seal
30th Mar 2024, 12:58
TUI is making a huge margin at BOH and charge a premium to fly from local airports such as BOH. They may make less profit alongside Jet2 but they will still make a very healthy profit out of BOH in 2025. Jet2 are operating some different days of the week on a lot of the competing services.

Ryanair operate 13 routes with ZERO competition from BOH. Only 7 compete with TUI and Jet2 so they too will continue to make a killing from there.

As MARKEYD says, attention needs to be given to making room for this growth by way of additional car parking spaces and expansion of the terminal and ramp area itself. New retail outlets for bored passengers may now be more viable with a larger throughput.

LTNman
30th Mar 2024, 13:08
Did they ever fill the gap between arrivals and departures? Seem to remember it was two separate buildings.

MARKEYD
30th Mar 2024, 13:15
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/828x1497/img_3905_d757af5d2429b4e73bc85c287940188d72d04165.jpeg
There is a huge area between the two buildings, when it was first built the plan was to fill in as needed

Just found an interview with Andrew Bell a few days ago who confirmed on TV that they will start to build a bigger terminal facility with more infrastructure inside
Bigger security facility
Bigger back of house for the luggage

They intend to build out and expand everything over the next 2 years

Credit to Google maps

pug
30th Mar 2024, 13:55
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/828x1497/img_3905_d757af5d2429b4e73bc85c287940188d72d04165.jpeg
There is a huge area between the two buildings, when it was first built the plan was to fill in as needed

Just found an interview with Andrew Bell a few days ago who confirmed on TV that they will start to build a bigger terminal facility with more infrastructure inside
Bigger security facility
Bigger back of house for the luggage

They intend to build out and expand everything over the next 2 years

Credit to Google maps

Great to see a small airport bucking the trend and growing! Hardly surprising though, Southampton has been unfortunate in that the previous commuter type airlines are not really in abundance any more so BOH has managed to steal a march. It’s a large wealthy catchment area so will do very well.

Irishshamrock
30th Mar 2024, 14:21
Chuffed to bits with this news too BUT:

For the love of God please get a bus service going to the airport.

Currently, if you’re in central Bournemouth it’s FAR easier to get a train from Bournemouth Train Station to Southampton Airport or a direct bus to Heathrow than it is to get to Bournemouth Airport if you need to and don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on a taxi.

MARKEYD
30th Mar 2024, 18:04
The bus service is down to the bus company in Bournemouth who might be prepared to operate , not the airports responsibility

I don’t doubt that this will happen soon and the airport will again put its case to a willing operator

LTNman
30th Mar 2024, 18:05
Found this about BOH hourly capacity. Seems outbound it is around 600 passengers p/h and 600 p/h inbound. The airport is already operating above capacity at peak times. Marquees for 2025 unless work has already started on making the terminal bigger or the loads are spread out more evenly.

https://www.bournemouthairport.com/content/uploads/BOH-Demand-Capacity-Study-v1.1.pdf

ATNotts
30th Mar 2024, 18:25
Found this about BOH hourly capacity. Seems outbound it is around 600 passengers p/h and 600 p/h inbound. The airport is already operating above capacity at peak times. Marquees for 2025 unless work has already started on making the terminal bigger or the loads are spread out more evenly.

https://www.bournemouthairport.com/content/uploads/BOH-Demand-Capacity-Study-v1.1.pdf
I was thinking the same myself. Has LTN got any spare tucked away at the back of a cupboard?:ok:

LTNman
30th Mar 2024, 18:42
Blackpool have used marquees. Interesting experience seeing the walls move in the breeze. Yes, Luton as well but that was 50 years ago but is still remembered and gave the airport a shocking reputation that they never really lost. From 16 seconds.

https://youtu.be/6-HPg5oGlww?si=SAVPM7gXUjtT77ZY

Irishshamrock
30th Mar 2024, 19:48
Blackpool have used marquees. Interesting experience seeing the walls move in the breeze. Yes, Luton as well but that was 50 years ago but is still remembered and gave the airport a shocking reputation that they never really lost. From 16 seconds.

https://youtu.be/6-HPg5oGlww?si=SAVPM7gXUjtT77ZY

Or possibly breeze blocks or portacabins which can be added as modules to allow for temporary additional gates.

What I’m more intrigued about is how they intend to put another baggage belt in - where would it go?

MARKEYD
30th Mar 2024, 20:22
Some of the above posts are beginning to appear stupid and ignorant to say the least , previous posts explain what’s happening , please read

There is no need for planning applications as the original terminal plans and building allowed for continuous and controlled development when needed
The original terminal was built around 2010 but no expansion was ever needed until this year

The MAG group built the original terminal then promptly sold it to the Rigby group then a recession hit plus covid and the rest is history until now

Jet 2 would never have even entertained BOH unless future plans were going to be put in place

None of us are privy to what discussions are happening with the airport and airlines , it’s less than a week that this was announced

Step back a bit and see what happens

Captain Cargo
30th Mar 2024, 21:50
Heathrow started with marquees on the north side! Little acorns?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/276x183/img_0242_0596b7d97c5e0f81b7b5afa6e75c27c77d0b5a29.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/264x191/img_0241_9ebc99ac278f04b50cdd1e98ff3d3adc1dfc2734.png

Markushillman
30th Mar 2024, 22:04
Some of the above posts are beginning to appear stupid and ignorant to say the least , previous posts explain what’s happening , please read

There is no need for planning applications as the original terminal plans and building allowed for continuous and controlled development when needed
The original terminal was built around 2010 but no expansion was ever needed until this year

The MAG group built the original terminal then promptly sold it to the Rigby group then a recession hit plus covid and the rest is history until now

Jet 2 would never have even entertained BOH unless future plans were going to be put in place

None of us are privy to what discussions are happening with the airport and airlines , it’s less than a week that this was announced

Step back a bit and see what happens

Finally some sense, thank you MARKEYD :D it's not only this thread that needs a bit of a reality check those on the Southampton thread seem to believe Bournemouth will implode and it will take 2 years for planning permission etc. And no this is not a my airport is better than yours etc but there is so much uninformed posts going around on both threads. Jet 2 aren't arriving for another year!

The rigby group/ RCA aviation division have their heads screwed on, they will already have a plan in place to ensure a smooth transition for this extra capacity now and into the future. It's not like this was a surprise to them.

like you say sit back and wait. I'm sure the airports plans are already in motion. And anyway still the 2024 summer season to enjoy first :)

shamrock7seal
31st Mar 2024, 06:24
All this is easily available by reading the 2030 master plan. The proposed expansion to the terminal and apron areas are illustrated:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/955x906/img_2642_ac8d614cb068460d3804058abd763caf63567742.jpeg

Stevooo
31st Mar 2024, 07:44
Don’t confuse a master plan written in 2006 with having planning permission already in place. I have quickly looked on the Christchurch planning applications website at the original terminal extension plans and there is no reference that I could find to joining those two buildings. Also note that application was over 15 years ago so any additional work allowed has probable expired in terms of a timespan when it could start. Normal planning only allows for. 5 year wait I think before commencement of works!

sealo0
31st Mar 2024, 09:18
From the Bournemouth Echo

”Meanwhile, tour operator TUI also announced it will add a second aircraft at Bournemouth in 2024 with an extra 60,000 seats available, a 33 per cent increase on its 2023 schedule.

Steve Gill, managing director of Bournemouth Airport, said he is “confident” of seeing more than one million passengers pass through the terminal in 2024.

As part of the anticipated growth, airport owners Regional and City Airports will be pumping more than £5m into new facilities, equipment, staff and training.

Bournemouth Airport has said passengers will notice several improvements over the coming months as part of the investment programme.

These include an upgraded security search area with new scanning kit to relax the restriction on liquids and the need to take electronics out of bags when the works are complete. “

Is the TUI second plane ‘ News?

Paper does not say when work will be carried out

Mike

ShedDriver
31st Mar 2024, 09:57
That picture from the masterplan does not quite tell the whole story though. It's worth remembering that this was published in 2007 by MAG and there's no indication it was updated. It is therefore 17 years old now.

If we cast our minds back to when the terminal was upgraded, the original plan was for the departures to be built as now, with the original arrival portacabin structures remaining as domestic arrivals with a much larger two storey international arrivals hall being built in a similar position to now. But then the economy crashed in 2008 and MAG then decided to change the plans. The new arrival hall was eventually built substantially smaller and the existing structures were removed. This resulted from a second round of planning applications in 2010. MAG believed the previous design was not sustainable in the new environment and could cram the new combined arrival facilities into a much smaller flat roofed footprint. This is what was eventually built with the old arrivals building being cleared out in the process.

They clearly can't knock the new arrivals hall down and build the original design now. That wouldn't be valid given the subsequent planning approvals anyway. There is nothing in the planning approvals that allowed building new structures in between the two buildings at this stage. Clearly the unstated intention was to leave that space free for easy future development.

Despite the southern sector being green belt and the attempted judicial review of the original terminal planning approval I think future development in this void space has a reasonable chance of going through. But it surely will have to go through the lengthy planning process I'm afraid. It will also be at risk of political point scoring delaying and adding extra cost to the process. I think from reading the tea leaves that they are planning to manage next summer with the facilities as-is, plus the current £5m round of improvements of course.

It's worth remembering that many things from the master plan and original planning applications haven't come to pass, such as the section 106 agreement for the airport to fund an hourly bus service for a minimum of 12 hours a day (presumably negotiated away during the collapse in air traffic) and the southern car park, which was to be bis served and located roughly underneath taxiway bravo with taxiway alpha becoming a branch off bravo. That never came to pass and would have been expensive to operate. With the cargo hard standing now built, it's hard to see that coming to pass in that location.

All of this information can be found on the BCP planning website in the Christchurch section. Put "airport" in the address box and scroll back through to 2007 and 2010.

​​​

Sotonsean
31st Mar 2024, 11:10
Heathrow started with marquees on the north side! Little acorns?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/276x183/img_0242_0596b7d97c5e0f81b7b5afa6e75c27c77d0b5a29.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/264x191/img_0241_9ebc99ac278f04b50cdd1e98ff3d3adc1dfc2734.png

BUT Bournemouth Airport isn't starting from "Little acorns"!

Bournemouth Airport is an established airport with an existing terminal. Very unlike the photo of "London Airport" which you have provided, which was probably taken in 1946. The photo and "little acorns" reference has absolutely nothing to do with Bournemouth Airport.

DC3 Dave
31st Mar 2024, 11:32
All this is easily available by reading the 2030 master plan. The proposed expansion to the terminal and apron areas are illustrated:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/955x906/img_2642_ac8d614cb068460d3804058abd763caf63567742.jpeg

So the available parking shown on the 2030 plan is going to restrict growth much beyond the significant achievement recently announced. Certainly if focused only on more based aircraft.

I am sure those familiar with the airport can offer potential solutions. I certainly think operators will follow BOHs progress with interest. You have Hurned the right to be taken seriously.