Captain Cargo
11th Nov 2022, 12:21
That’s the bus service for you!

MARKEYD
16th Nov 2022, 12:03
Ryanair have added Faro , Zadar and Bergerac to the summer schedule

Faro increases to 5 x week
Bergerac is now operating for the whole of the summer season

There are 2 based aircraft now operating the services with a gap for 3 new flights to fit into the flying schedule

No new routes showing at the moment but takes the schedule to 53 flights a week compared to 47 this year

Sharklet_321
8th Dec 2022, 10:15
Ryanair have loaded as expected their BOH-EDI service 4 times weekly from 26th March and a twice weekly Carcassonne route. More to come I believe.

MARKEYD
8th Dec 2022, 10:49
That’s brilliant news from Ryanair and I guess a full announcement from the airport and Ryanair will come soon

The 2 based aircraft are now fully committed as the gaps in the flying schedule have been filled with 2 CCS flights and 1 EDI flight

Would be good to have Paphos and Pisa return

Albert Hall
8th Dec 2022, 11:10
Great news.

Le Tirer
8th Dec 2022, 11:11
The 2 based aircraft are now fully committed

Am I missing a Saturday morning flight? As far as I can see the current based aircraft departs to Wroclaw at 08:40 from April 1st. The 2nd based aircraft, which should arrive by May 1st, doesn't depart to Faro until 10:55. Time for a short early morning rotation?

LT

MARKEYD
8th Dec 2022, 11:52
The aircraft on a Saturday operate the following

A/C 1. BOH WRO BOH MLA BOH
A/C 2 BOH. EGC BOH FAO BOH PMI BOH

Le Tirer
8th Dec 2022, 12:24
Thanks MarkeyD. For some reason I had the Bergerac flight down for Saturday afternoon/evening Dep 16:45 Arr 20:10. This wouldn't have fitted in the schedule so I can only think it must have been retimed or I was looking at this year's times!

LT

SWBKCB
11th Dec 2022, 06:57
RYANAIR has announced a big expansion of its operation at Bournemouth Airport, with a second aircraft to be based at the site and new destinations added for summer. The budget airline said it will be flying to Carcassonne in France twice a week next summer, to Edinburgh four times a week and Venice twice a week.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/23179378.ryanair-adds-new-destinations-extra-plane-bournemouth-airport/

sealo0
11th Dec 2022, 17:46
BOH seems to be taking LGW snow diversions easy & Norwegian just going in 18:45 sun

dixi188
11th Dec 2022, 19:36
I guess the EnterAir 737 from Pajala (Finland) is a diversion.
Bring 'em in - a bit like the old days, I remember 32 diversions one evening around 1970.

ericlday
11th Dec 2022, 19:47
Left Bournemouth this morning at 7.31 so I guess a Santa flight !!!!

Flitefone
12th Dec 2022, 07:21
BOH seems to be taking LGW snow diversions easy & Norwegian just going in 18:45 sun

LCY, LCY & STN all saw multiple diversions out. BOH, NWI, CWL, BRS, BHX, EMA, MAN and LBA all took a share, multiple flights also made a 180 and returned to base overseas.

prearranged plans set out how many diversions each airport will routinely accept (for parking, and handling) for all but the largest airports its generally less than half a dozen aircraft these days. I believe the BOH past record is 28 in one day (1972,or so).

FF

dixi188
12th Dec 2022, 08:41
Left Bournemouth this morning at 7.31 so I guess a Santa flight !!!!
Not listed on the airport departures.
My memory says 32 diversions early '70s.

ericlday
12th Dec 2022, 08:49
Dixi....was listed on FR24

svencarlson
12th Dec 2022, 21:36
Enterair was a planned BOH flight and Pajala is in Sweden

dixi188
12th Dec 2022, 23:41
Enterair was a planned BOH flight and Pajala is in Sweden
Thanks for that. It wasn't showing on the airport's departures page.

MARKEYD
18th Dec 2022, 15:15
Bournemouth handled 76,000 passengers in October
Another good set of figures for the end of the season bringing a total of about 714 , 000 for the rolling year

Unfortunate that passenger figures will take a dip now for the winter as Lisbon , Budapest and one less TFS are not operating this winter with Ryanair for various reasons although Budapest starts up again in the summer and Venice this week is a new destination

Summer 23 is shaping up very well so far

Ryanair have added another flight to Gerona taking it from 4 flights this year to 5 , now up to 6 flights

Thats now 6 services a week to
Malaga, Gerona and Alicante

Believe some more routes or resurrected routes to follow in the new year

Sharklet_321
19th Dec 2022, 13:31
easyJet

Very surprised easyJet never tried Palma from BOH which despite being up against Ryanair and TUI, pretty sure there is demand to be had. The route hits almost 20,000 passengers a month in summer. BFS and other UK regional airports manage all 4 big airlines including Jet2, easyJet, Ryanair & TUI on the Palma route for example.

Ryanair

Would not be surprised if Funchal, Belfast, Bucharest and Lisbon get added in for the summer season or indeed winter beyond that.

SKOJB
19th Dec 2022, 13:34
easyJet

Very surprised easyJet never tried Palma from BOH which despite being up against Ryanair and TUI, pretty sure there is demand to be had. The route hits almost 20,000 passengers a month in summer. BFS and other UK regional airports manage all 4 big airlines including Jet2, easyJet, Ryanair & TUI on the Palma route for example.

Ryanair

Would not be surprised if Funchal, Belfast, Bucharest and Lisbon get added in for the summer season or indeed winter beyond that.

Maybe EZY are looking to another airport down the road?!

Jamesair1
19th Dec 2022, 14:25
Newcastle is one regional airport which has all four big airlines serving Palma with pax figures topping 30,000 even in October

bob1810
19th Dec 2022, 14:46
Does anyone think there would be a market for a BOH or SOU direct to INV baring in mind at the moment its either LGW or BRS

Flitefone
19th Dec 2022, 18:54
Maybe EZY are looking to another airport down the road?!

EZY strategy (see their latest annual report) is to build presence at their big hubs - LGW currently at 70 aircraft and still expanding - and to build their destination hubs, think Spain, Portugal etc.

Lack of peak hour slots in UK will drive EZY into serving additional UK airports from bases overseas. (Not W patterns) BOH, SOU, and EXT all likely on the radar. RYR already doing this which is why a number of their routes operated by aircraft based overseas arrive at BOH very early in the day. No slots at that time avbl at the LON airports.

FF

Buster the Bear
19th Dec 2022, 21:38
Should help to boost cargo. https://www.aircargonews.net/services/freighter-conversions-mro/european-cargo-receives-easa-certification-for-airbus-a340-freighter-conversion-programme/

rustythumb
20th Dec 2022, 17:54
It would be great to see the Paphos flight return with Ryanair soon.

MARKEYD
3rd Jan 2023, 13:47
Ryanair have added an extra flight to Dublin for the summer on a Friday taking the route to 3 x week

New carrier for the summer is Aegean airlines A320 to RHO on a Tuesday operating the extra flight on behalf of TUI now 2 x week

SKOJB
10th Jan 2023, 08:57
RYR dropped Mon to EDI before even commencing

shamrock7seal
10th Jan 2023, 12:52
Apparently they are putting in a Thursday but not in the booking engine yet

Le Tirer
10th Jan 2023, 15:07
The Monday Edinburgh flight was the only one due to be operated by a Bournemouth based aircraft. The other 3 days (Tuesday, Saturday, Sunday) are scheduled to be Ryanair UK Edinburgh base aircraft.
I wonder if they have something else lined up for the BOH aircraft on a Monday evening?

Flitefone
13th Jan 2023, 12:14
I notice that Stansted announced the commencement of a five month runway resurfacing programme last week.

The first phase will close the STN runway from midnight to 6am every day until the end of the winter season - March 27TH.

That may impact some of the cargo operations. MAG will obviously try to push overspill to their other airports, MAN/EMA. However rumours suggest that EMA has a cargo stand capacity crunch in busy periods - overnight.

Will be interesting to see whether the new in house CargoFirst operation at BOH can sweep up any of this displaced demand looking for London access.

FF

LTNman
13th Jan 2023, 12:22
It’s 5 nights a week not 7. Apart from one off's the airlines already have their alternate programmes in place and are operating them, so if nothing has landed at Bournemouth this week it isn't looking good.

Flitefone
13th Jan 2023, 13:33
It’s 5 nights a week not 7. Apart from one off's the airlines already have their alternate programmes in place and are operating them, so if nothing has landed at Bournemouth this week it isn't looking good.

Agree its the ad-hoc, that was my point with ‘some’ traffic. Alternative arrangements certainly already in place for the regulars - UPS/FEDEX etc. yes its 5 not 7 days/week. Lets see what develops in the coming 10 weeks.

MARKEYD
19th Jan 2023, 11:53
November passenger figures show 29 , 313 passed through the terminal
Surprisingly up 9 % on last Nov despite the dropping of Lisbon and Budapest ( returning in April)

Ryanair have added Monday to Edinburgh again taking it back up to 4 x week , interesting that all these flights are now being operated by Air Explore 737 800

TUI are using Alba Star again to operate the Thursday morning Palma service

Aegean confirmed for the extra Rhodes and probably Freebird to operate the whole Turkey operation this summer ( still tba )

MARKEYD
24th Jan 2023, 22:08
Strangely enough Ryanair have removed all mention of Air Explore on the Edinburgh route and replaced it with Ryanair UK from BOH

This is also the same with their Belfast operation on all the services being operated

Sharklet_321
3rd Feb 2023, 13:27
Murcia appears to be only 3 times a week for this summer by a BOH based aircraft, but in previous years hasn't it been 5-6 times a week?

MARKEYD
3rd Feb 2023, 14:14
It was 3 x times a week last summer
Pre covid it was 4 or 5 x week to the old airport

Sharklet_321
4th Feb 2023, 11:10
Thanks Mark. I wonder what’s caused the fall since pre-Covid? Was it always summer only?

MARKEYD
4th Feb 2023, 13:12
Murcia has always been summer only from BOH

I would imagine that because there is no base at Murcia FR have decided to utilise the BOH based aircraft to destinations that have more demand
Look at Gerona this summer getting 6 x week for example

Dropoffcharge
4th Feb 2023, 13:16
Was it always summer only?
Both the Murcia airports have only ever been summer options from BOH historically.

Gurnard
7th Feb 2023, 20:59
Have European Cargo gone into hibernation? After the flurry of regular flights to China and JFK nothing seems to have happened for a while. There were plans for more A340s to be introduced. Hope business will pick up again.

Buster the Bear
7th Feb 2023, 21:48
Global air freight business is currently depressed. Recessions and over capacity are rife. Amazon are now offering space on their Prime flights in the USA and looking to offload capacity/airframes. Belly holds on long haul schedules are back.

gkmeech
7th Feb 2023, 22:16
Have European Cargo gone into hibernation? After the flurry of regular flights to China and JFK nothing seems to have happened for a while. There were plans for more A340s to be introduced. Hope business will pick up again.

Flights to Fuzhou five days this week, and New York at least twice. Just take a look at Flightradar24

SKOJB
7th Feb 2023, 22:28
Flights to Fuzhou five days this week, and New York at least twice. Just take a look at Flightradar24

Flight status is showing as unknown, not sure they are flying!?

AVBH
8th Feb 2023, 04:37

These are old scheduled flights from pandemic times. I believe the last departure was Nov/Dec 22 and that was to neither of those places.

SWBKCB
8th Feb 2023, 06:59

Looking at various trackers, none seem to have flown recently (this year?)

Flitefone
8th Feb 2023, 08:18

Fuzhou and NYC flights ceased some time ago. There are currently 7x346 at Hurn and 1x345.

6 of the 346 are being converted to EASA/CAA freighter config. There is some talk of the ex IB 346 and the former EY 345 being used for ACMI pax work this summer due new wide body delivery delays (787, 777x, A350).

China traffic levels/supply chain glitches still hurting freight markets, expected to recover mid 23.

FF

Gurnard
8th Feb 2023, 08:32
Fuzhou and NYC flights ceased some time ago. There are currently 7x346 at Hurn and 1x345.

6 of the 346 are being converted to EASA/CAA freighter config. There is some talk of the ex IB 346 and the former EY 345 being used for ACMI pax work this summer due new wide body delivery delays (787, 777x, A350).

China traffic levels/supply chain glitches still hurting freight markets, expected to recover mid 23.

FF
That's particularly helpful. Thanks.

SKOJB
8th Feb 2023, 10:11
I doubt this market from BOH will ever reach levels of activity seen during the pandemic, commercial airlines now flying lots of cargo once again!

AVBH
1st Mar 2023, 18:36
Does anyone have any knowledge on whether European Cargo are likely to recommence operations soon?
It’s becoming increasingly concerning that a large number of their aircraft remain parked for so long. Would love to see them succeed once again!

stewyb
1st Mar 2023, 19:44
Does anyone have any knowledge on whether European Cargo are likely to recommence operations soon?
It’s becoming increasingly concerning that a large number of their aircraft remain parked for so long. Would love to see them succeed once again!

Must have a strong cash reserve!

AVBH
1st Mar 2023, 20:35
Must have a strong cash reserve!

I have just checked FR24 and ironically there is a departure tomorrow. Looks like it’s a brief test flight, possibly in preparation for something long haul.

Buster the Bear
4th Mar 2023, 21:45
Test flights are mandated by Airbus unless an airframe goes into long term storage.

MARKEYD
24th Mar 2023, 11:13
CAA figures are finally out for the year 2022

Bournemouth handled 734 , 530 passengers

Top 5 routes were as usual

PMI 111,000
ALC 70,000
AGP. 67,000
TFS. 55,000
FAO 51,000

This year sees a variety of different airlines again
including

Alba Star B738
Aegean A320
Lauda. A320
Freebird. A320
Buzz B738

2 based FR B738 and 1 based TUI 738 seeing a very busy summer season
( Sunday lunchtime should see 3 X FR B738 , 1 x TUI B738 , 1 x LD A320 on the ramp )

Still no news on the cargo operation here , 7 x A340 sitting around must be a cause for concern now ?

rustythumb
24th Mar 2023, 11:53
It would be good to see 2023 edge back towards the 1m pax mark.

dixi188
24th Mar 2023, 12:14
I counted 8 A340s a couple of days ago, none have moved in a while.

ezyBoh
24th Mar 2023, 12:35
There have been a few 'test' flights recently, but an update would be good from anybody that works there.

Buster the Bear
24th Mar 2023, 22:51
European - Fuzhou and New York still operate, but not sure if daily?

ezyBoh
24th Mar 2023, 23:17
They have unfortunately not operated for months now but for some reason still show up on the arrivals and departures listing on FLIGHTRADAR

GALWC
28th Mar 2023, 05:14
They have unfortunately not operated for months now but for some reason still show up on the arrivals and departures listing on FLIGHTRADAR

9H-PPE currently en route MLA - EZE (about 4 hours out from landing).

dixi188
2nd Apr 2023, 07:55
9H-PPE currently en route MLA - EZE (about 4 hours out from landing).
And it has just arrived at Bournemouth from EZE (Buenos Aires).

ezyBoh
2nd Apr 2023, 09:30
And it has just arrived at Bournemouth from EZE (Buenos Aires).

Saw it appear through the low cloud over Broadstone and heard the reverse thrust on landing. Good to see, ish and hear.

MARKEYD
5th Apr 2023, 16:29
Early days yet but it’s looking like TUI will base a 2nd aircraft at Bournemouth for summer 24
TUI are replacing there 3rd party carriers like Freebird, Alba star and Aegean and using there own aircraft which means 2 departures each morning according to the schedule so far

There is still gaps for 8 flights but it’s looking promising ( let’s see how successful summer 23 is first )

According to the March 23 consultive committee published Bournemouth is getting a new radar , a new ILS system for 08 ? and new fire trucks
It was also expected for passenger to reach the 1 million mark again ( pre Covid )

Cargo flights should also re start mid to late April

dixi188
5th Apr 2023, 19:33
What happened to the 08 ILS, I've not flown from BOH since 2005 but ISTR there was ILS both ends.
Or do you mean a new one that may be Cat III.

Musket90
5th Apr 2023, 20:16
if 08 ILS is to be replaced by a Cat III system then they'd need to upgrade the approach and runway lights to Cat III which is very costly, so the replacement ILS is likely to be Cat I.

rog747
6th Apr 2023, 06:25
Early days yet but it’s looking like TUI will base a 2nd aircraft at Bournemouth for summer 24
TUI are replacing there 3rd party carriers like Freebird, Alba star and Aegean and using their own aircraft which means 2 departures each morning according to the schedule so far

There is still gaps for 8 flights but it’s looking promising ( let’s see how successful summer 23 is first )

Thanks, is this what TUI had hoped to do for Summer 2020 before Covid>?

The plan then was to take (iirc) a LTN based 737-800 and share it over 7 days with both BOH and EXT (4 days on at BOH and 3 days on for EXT) >?

EXT also has Alba Star and Freebird ''fillers''.

dixi188
6th Apr 2023, 10:47
if 08 ILS is to be replaced by a Cat III system then they'd need to upgrade the approach and runway lights to Cat III which is very costly, so the replacement ILS is likely to be Cat I.
I suppose the old 08 ILS is tired or unreliable. You don't really need both ends to be Cat III as there is usually little wind when it is foggy, except in the Channel Islands.

shamrock7seal
6th Apr 2023, 16:01
MARKEYD, it's very reassuring to read about the cargo operation restarting later this month. Are the consultative committee minutes available to the public?

I wonder if the rumours of an easyJet base at SOU will provoke BOH owners into putting a revised bid to come to BOH instead.

The major missing link that's needed to lock in a base for someone like easyJet would be an hourly airport shuttle from the train station to the airport from 04:00 to 00:00

SouthernAlliance
6th Apr 2023, 16:06
MARKEYD, it's very reassuring to read about the cargo operation restarting later this month. Are the consultative committee minutes available to the public?

I wonder if the rumours of an easyJet base at SOU will provoke BOH owners into putting a revised bid to come to BOH instead.

The major missing link that's needed to lock in a base for someone like easyJet would be an hourly airport shuttle from the train station to the airport from 04:00 to 00:00

EZY will likely see SOU as a potential money spinner as transport links are already in place and there is no direct competition from RYR etc. With the runway completed it will suit the Airbus fleet very well for a 2/3 aircraft base

Wycombe
7th Apr 2023, 07:44
EZY will likely see SOU as a potential money spinner as transport links are already in place and there is no direct competition from RYR etc. With the runway completed it will suit the Airbus fleet very well for a 2/3 aircraft base
...apart from the operating hours, which are not optimal for an LCC. We can hope though.

Sharklet_321
7th Apr 2023, 21:07
Very true.

But it wouldn’t stop Easyjet trying some inbound flying from European bases to SOU. Enough that it might act as a deterrent to people living in Southampton/Portsmouth and thinking of using BOH instead of LGW. Thus keeping business in EasyJet.

However, EasyJet do seem to serve two different markets between SOU & BOH if you take GVA as the example, so perhaps the catchments are less overlapping than we thought?

rog747
9th Apr 2023, 14:15
Very true.

But it wouldn’t stop Easyjet trying some inbound flying from European bases to SOU. Enough that it might act as a deterrent to people living in Southampton/Portsmouth and thinking of using BOH instead of LGW. Thus keeping business in EasyJet.

However, EasyJet do seem to serve two different markets between SOU & BOH if you take GVA as the example, so perhaps the catchments are less overlapping than we thought?

The BOH and SOU Geneva flights are both basically Ski flights - Winter season only, local demand is high.
I was at first surprised that BOH joined in with SOU but that shows that EZY had a clear market away from both it's LGW and BRS Ski flights,
coupled that with not just weekend flights scheduled, but also some mid-weeks were added too.
The local areas in BOH and SOU are both endowed with well-healed clientele who like to go to Ski.

BACF also operated this past winter the weekend Ski flights to Salzburg and Chambery (2) from SOU and Crystal and Inghams Ski taking allocations, so they sell well and seem to be back on sale for next winter.

TUI fly EXT to Chambery for Crystal Ski.
EZY and TUI go from BRS and serve various Ski destinations which is still in the BOH and EXT 'catchment' areas.

MARKEYD
9th Apr 2023, 14:46
I think the Ski market is something that needs to be looked at again from BOH after covid for the winter months

Inghams used to have a whole plane charter using Lauda Air B738 for many seasons to INN

Crystal used to have TUI charters to Turin and Chambery using various carriers over the years

Easy jet also marketed Grenoble from BOH many years ago as well as there popular Geneva route

It’s something that Ryanair don’t seem interested in doing from many UK airports , could be the “ chew “ of getting bags and skis off quickly at airports which could impact their 25 min turnaround time ?

SKOJB
9th Apr 2023, 15:04
There is a big market on the south coast for ski flights as EZY added SOU to GVA several years back in addition to the well served BOH route and has steadily increased in frequency. BOH was always 5/6 weekly and SOU started with 2 weekly. Now however they are both serving 5 weekly departures so the demand is clearly there with SOU growing in numbers year on year

SWBKCB
9th Apr 2023, 15:14
EZY and TUI go from BRS and serve various Ski destinations which is still in the BOH and EXT 'catchment' areas.

Do Jet2 do Ski flights from BRS?

rog747
10th Apr 2023, 05:06
Do Jet2 do Ski flights from BRS?

Yes they do, apologies - I had forgotten about them -
Jet2.com operated to THREE ski destinations from Bristol Airport this and next winter including brand-new routes to Chambery, Innsbruck and Salzburg.
They also offered carriage of Skis for just a £1 promotion.

Jet2.com operates ski flights to seven destinations next winter from it's various UK bases to - Chambery, Geneva, Grenoble, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Lyon and Turin.
Some Jet2 flights are Ski charters for Inghams.

There was also an Austrian Airways Ski charter at BRS - I think to INN

Re MarkyD's comments about Ryanair - yes I agree - they have not tapped the Ski market in a big way but they do have a 'Ski' webpage
Ryanair ski holidays (https://www.ryanair.com/try-somewhere-new/gb/en/get-inspired/ski_breaks/)

TUI still fly for Crystal with Ski charters to Chambery, but only from EXT now - I assume BOH was dropped due to EZY's presence.
(Lots of TUI Ski from BRS though)
(The BOH based TUI 737 certainly had available slots to have flown a quick CMF round trip this past winter)

shamrock7seal
12th Apr 2023, 10:44
Is the runway grooved at BOH?

For landings on '08' it is quite a short run at just 1,838m especially for a widebody. Would expect a grooved runway to provide a more operationally sound landing when wet.

Is there scope for the runway to be further extended within its own boundary to match the length of NCL airport? It seems cargo could benefit from a longer runway length for outbound payload.

fanrailuk
12th Apr 2023, 17:20
There was also an Austrian Airways Ski charter at BRS - I think to INN

OS no longer operate any charters at BRS

j4leaphill
13th Apr 2023, 11:14

For landings on '08' it is quite a short run at just 1,838m especially for a widebody. Would expect a grooved runway to provide a more operationally sound landing when wet.

Is there scope for the runway to be further extended within its own boundary to match the length of NCL airport? It seems cargo could benefit from a longer runway length for outbound payload.
If you look at google earth,there is already a concrete over run of some 300ft,which would match the NCL runway

j4leaphill
13th Apr 2023, 11:23

Shamrock

Have just looked at google earth and there is already an overrun of some 300ft at the 26 end,which would make the runway longer than NCL,there is also scope for further extending the runway to some 8000ft before the moors river is located,this could easily be re-routed to go well beyond 8000 ft,if there was a need to.Perhaps as the airport owners are the rigby construction group this could be easily done.

SouthernAlliance
13th Apr 2023, 11:27
Why on earth would they want to extend the runway again. Already more than enough length for a LCC and the odd cargo flight that I don't see increasing in business any time soon!

SWBKCB
13th Apr 2023, 11:43
the odd cargo flight that I don't see increasing in business any time soon!

Have you seen the investment in cargo facilities? And why the somewhat random comparison with Newcastle?

Dropoffcharge
13th Apr 2023, 12:08
Runway length has never been an issue for BOH, TUI cruise flights using the 787 along with a hefty A340 cargo op during covid are testament to that. The Rigby crowd would be better off spending money on improving the infrastructure, terminal size, car parking and good travel links, than diverting a river.

dixi188
13th Apr 2023, 12:20
There was an issue with the length when European ran 747s.
One taking off on 08 had it's wheels in the grass at the eastern end as it got airborne. I believe some lights were damaged.

j4leaphill
13th Apr 2023, 12:27
Runway length has never been an issue for BOH, TUI cruise flights using the 787 along with a hefty A340 cargo op during covid are testament to that. The Rigby crowd would be better off spending money on improving the infrastructure, terminal size, car parking and good travel links, than diverting a river.
Totally agree.

SouthernAlliance
13th Apr 2023, 12:34
Have you seen the investment in cargo facilities? And why the somewhat random comparison with Newcastle?

Yes and I’m still to be convinced it will ever demand enough cargo ops

AVBH
13th Apr 2023, 12:44

I totally agree. A junction off the A338 running adjacent to the airport would be ideal. This would enable a quicker arrival & onward journey to and from the airport. Would additionally provide an easy divert for National Express coaches allowing direct routes to Southampton, London & Bournemouth train station.
The terminals certainly could do with further investments to enable a more comfortable and pleasurable experience. A runway extension certainly isn’t required.

Knife-Edge
14th Apr 2023, 19:56
There was an issue with the length when European ran 747s.
One taking off on 08 had it's wheels in the grass at the eastern end as it got airborne. I believe some lights were damaged.

No, this never happened.

There is nice head on video shot from Matchams end of a European 747 departing 08 for NY using most of the runway, but I expect the crew just used what was available rather than haul it into the air at the minimum speed. No grass was harmed.

dixi188
15th Apr 2023, 18:35
No, this never happened.

There is nice head on video shot from Matchams end of a European 747 departing 08 for NY using most of the runway, but I expect the crew just used what was available rather than haul it into the air at the minimum speed. No grass was harmed.
Are you sure.
I heard it was on a flight to Sao Paulo with F1 teams on board. The story was that the load sheet did not include tha belly's being full of many tonnes of cars and equipment.
I was told there was a cover up.
But it may have been just a story.

MARKEYD
20th Apr 2023, 08:17
TUI are to base 2 aircraft at Bournemouth for Summer 2024

New destination is Enfidha Tunisia

The remaining operation will see the following increase in flights

Mahon x 2
Ibiza x 2
Tenerife x 2
Lanzarote x 2
Paphos x 2
Crete x 2

Great news to see TUI finally investing more into BOH , might be a little cramped with 4 based B738 in the terminal for passengers with the first wave each day but good news for sure

Dropoffcharge
20th Apr 2023, 10:39
Great news to see TUI finally investing more into BOH , might be a little cramped with 4 based B738 in the terminal for passengers with the first wave each day but good news for sure
Indeed great news for BOH, seems are finally tapping into the huge potential they have there, but with ref to my previous post, they definitely need to seriously think about the infrastructure now to cope with it all.

rog747
20th Apr 2023, 11:19
Indeed great news for BOH, seems are finally tapping into the huge potential they have there, but with ref to my previous post, they definitely need to seriously think about the infrastructure now to cope with it all.

Is there an option for aircraft to be parked on coaching stands in the interim >?
Has BOH actually got any coaches >?

shamrock7seal
20th Apr 2023, 12:48
BOH has 6 737/321 sized contact stands next to the terminal build and 5 more that would require bussing. Yes they do have busses.

the current terminal is built to cope with 3m pax per annum so it’s not the infrastructure that is the issue. The public transport provision to and from the airport is the main issue. If they fixed that it would unlock the potential further. They do need early morning and late evening public transport to/from the train station in order for the airport to continue its growth trajectory.

Sharklet_321
20th Apr 2023, 16:26
There appears to be space in the TUI summer 2024 programme for something on Wednesday morning? All other days of the week are fully allocated. Is this for rest time or can we expect another new route?

MARKEYD
20th Apr 2023, 16:57
No space on Wednesday morning

1 a/c BOH MAH BOH AYT BOH
2 a/c BOH PFO BOH

Wed is the only day when there is a little fire break in the schedule just in case

Plenty of room at the terminal to expand towards the arrivals building should it become necessary, just look at the “ google map “ of the terminal to see the land in between which was always the plan to fill in gradually as it became necessary

I think the biggest hurdle now is to get a regular bus service to the station and beyond , it’s incredible that nothing exists at all , BOH is the worst served airport for public transport and this must now be a priority

Sharklet_321
20th Apr 2023, 19:42
Quite astonishing that BOH is achieving this growth with no public transport links whatsoever.

I think at some airports like Luton, the proportion of passengers using public transport to access the airport is like 20-25%? Bournemouth is really limiting its potential not catering to people that can’t drive.

SWBKCB
20th Apr 2023, 19:53
Quite astonishing that BOH is achieving this growth with no public transport links whatsoever.

I think at some airports like Luton, the proportion of passengers using public transport to access the airport is like 20-25%? Bournemouth is really limiting its potential not catering to people that can’t drive.

Is BOH really comparable with LTN? Any other real life data to back that up?

Flitefone
20th Apr 2023, 20:17

This really is a red herring. Public transport links are a big issue for big airports. There’s not an airport in Mainland Britain that can’t be reached by car, which means they are accessible by public transport - taxi.

For most airports incl BOH, revenue from car parking and drop off fees is a significant element on the bottom line, whereas the cost/subsidy for public transport - bus in this case - is a negative rather than a plus.

The issue for most regional airports is access to routes. The big issue at Hurn has always been regular access (daily/double daily) to a decent hub for global interconnection.

For most regionals in UK that today is AMS. In future the Gulf hubs and IST probably more significant.

It really isn’t about buses or trains for smaller airports. Most folks at this level use cars/taxis. It really is about routes and airport costs/revenue.

FF

SWBKCB
21st Apr 2023, 06:18
This really is a red herring. Public transport links are a big issue for big airports. There’s not an airport in Mainland Britain that can’t be reached by car, which means they are accessible by public transport - taxi.

FF

I agree - how many people going on a TUI holiday are going to rock up on a bus?

Sharklet_321
21st Apr 2023, 07:33
I do understand those points, but passengers who are paying £25 for a Ryanair flight to Dublin (could mean the difference between 70% loadfactor or 80%) would prefer to use a train/bus before contemplating spending £25 or more on a taxi. I’m one of them. What other options do we have? My main point here is that some of those passengers might opt not to travel or travel less frequently due to the cost ‘hit’ of simply getting to/from the airport. The airport appears to be content that its geographical location is a premium when compared with the cost of getting to Heathrow or Gatwick - but that is limiting the market size/Potential.

Does the airport have a zero carbon target? Shifting people to Public transport (bus or taxi sharing) would be a big factor in meeting that target too.

ezyBoh
21st Apr 2023, 08:27
There was a bus, a small bus, with hardly any luggage space which operated and the times that l saw it, was almost always empty.

People get lifts with family and friends or if it's a small group or family will get a taxi. They don't want to be waiting around for a small bus to take them in to Bournemouth then have friends, family to pick them up. Small regional airports work differently to larger airports. Yes, a good bus service using a more appropriate vehicle would be great, a train link just isn't going to happen.

sealo0
21st Apr 2023, 09:40
I live in Southbourne (part of Bournemouth, to those not local. Just Googled

Bus Local services. 2 hours 41 mins = 500 mtr walk to first bus stop then 3 different buses @ £3 each * 2
Car (taxi) 13 mins £20 approx.

And when your getting the early flight bus is useless.
Mike

dixi188
21st Apr 2023, 09:54
The 737 bus runs from Bournemouth town centre to the airport but I think it's aimed at workers. 5.50 and 6.45 out and 13.35, 16.20 and 1800 return and it goes all round the NW industrial estate, (old BAC site).before getting to the terminal.

pug
21st Apr 2023, 09:59
I do understand those points, but passengers who are paying £25 for a Ryanair flight to Dublin (could mean the difference between 70% loadfactor or 80%) would prefer to use a train/bus before contemplating spending £25 or more on a taxi. I’m one of them. What other options do we have? My main point here is that some of those passengers might opt not to travel or travel less frequently due to the cost ‘hit’ of simply getting to/from the airport. The airport appears to be content that its geographical location is a premium when compared with the cost of getting to Heathrow or Gatwick - but that is limiting the market size/Potential.

Does the airport have a zero carbon target? Shifting people to Public transport (bus or taxi sharing) would be a big factor in meeting that target too.

Bus perhaps, rail link not a chance. Bournemouth is at about 10% if the critical mass required to make a dedicated rail service viable. Might be that this increase in flights could justify a bus operator putting it on their route, but the vast majority of people using the airport will continue to do so by car or private hire taxi and therefore focus must be on ensuring the facilities are there to allow them to do so. As has been mentioned elsewhere, car parking is also one of the airports main sources of revenue which enabled the operator to keep charges passed on to the airlines low and encourage growth from Ryanair and TUI.

Sharklet_321
21st Apr 2023, 11:03
When I refer to train/bus I am talking about a bus service to the train station, as the main travel interchange, from where people can then connect to Southampton etc. Of course a dedicated train link to BOH would be completely out of the question and I’m not suggesting that.

rog747
21st Apr 2023, 12:25
Hurn, Bournemouth Airport has always really been a holiday airport situated up a country village lane and the transport infrastructure has never really been addressed to serve it.
Folk on package holidays will be dropped off by family/friends/taxis or they will park their car at the airport car parks.

No real effort has ever been made to have an airport bus link to town, although attempts do vary...Nothing will change, even with TUI and Ryanair having 4 x 737 types based there next summer24.
If there are 4 departures leaving within 0600h and 0730h there will be close to 800 pax departing -
Hope the ground handling agents have started planning their staff requirements for April 2024 onwards to ensure they can cope.

BTW EXT has far better public transport links these days.

Flying from/to on holiday at Hurn is great - as long as you have a lift booked, or your motor is in the car park.

Dropoffcharge
21st Apr 2023, 12:41
If there are 4 departures leaving within 0600h and 0730h there will be close to 800 pax departing -
Hope the ground handling agents have started planning their staff requirements for April 2024 onwards to ensure they can cope
Exactly, I'd also imagine the departure terminal to be pretty cramped with long queues at the limited food outlets, not to mention when that first wave returns back mid morning, the arrivals building is woefully small and only has two baggage belts.

MARKEYD
21st Apr 2023, 18:08
I would imagine the airport will get a good taste of the amount of passengers checking in on mass this summer as there are up to 6 flights all arriving and checking in throughout the summer season

There are 12 check in desks and 3 baggage belts at the moment but plenty of room for expansion if needed
I should think the car park is going to be the issue going forward

AVBH
22nd Apr 2023, 06:59
Hurn, Bournemouth Airport has always really been a holiday airport situated up a country village lane and the transport infrastructure has never really been addressed to serve it.
Folk on package holidays will be dropped off by family/friends/taxis or they will park their car at the airport car parks.

No real effort has ever been made to have an airport bus link to town, although attempts do vary...Nothing will change, even with TUI and Ryanair having 4 x 737 types based there next summer24.
Hope the ground handling agents have started planning their staff requirements for April 2024 onwards to ensure they can cope.

BTW EXT has far better public transport links these days.

Flying from/to on holiday at Hurn is great - as long as you have a lift booked, or your motor is in the car park.

As previously stated, a new dedicated access route needs to be installed to serve those approaching from the A338. A junction serving North & Southbound traffic should be considered for airport access.

Currently the road network is unlikely to cope. Especially in main commuting hours. The airport entrance has two schools sited for example. With cargo in mind too, there will be a large number of lorries also clogging up the current route.

A new access route would require building on undeveloped and protected land, however it would provide more benefits than negatives.

Rivet Joint
22nd Apr 2023, 11:49

Come on guys, no one is flying from BOH because of the airport. It’s purely to get the cheap fairs. It’s the same argument when you meet people down this way who go all the way to Stanstead to catch a flight. If the cheap operators move somewhere else all the passengers will follow. It’s very precarious which is why you won’t see any investment from BOH. There has always been a make hay whilst the sun shines vibe going on. They will always have their bucket and spades market for all the old people that retire down that way but nothing more.

looking at the cargo ops is the same issue, European Cargo is owned by a pure chancer who did very well building a cargo business to bring PPE in during the pandemic. Now the demand for PPE is at a level that normal cargo hubs can provide you have a bunch of aircraft sitting around doing nothing. Any cargo operator would be mad to put their freight through an airport with poor road connections.

BOH does very well having fingers in many pies but none of them are ever going to be anything to write home about. Think about Bournemouth as an actual place and what there is there to even stimulate a sizeable customer base in the first place. It’s never going to happen in the same way a Blackpool or a Manston is never going to happen.

Groundloop
22nd Apr 2023, 13:18
Come on guys, no one is flying from BOH because of the airport. It’s purely to get the cheap fairs. .

Absolute garbage. I fly from BOH because it's 5 miles up the road - nothing to do with cheap fares - because often they aren't cheap!!

rog747
22nd Apr 2023, 13:22
Absolute garbage. I fly from BOH because it's 5 miles up the road - nothing to do with cheap fares - because often they aren't cheap!!

I can concur with that 100% - for me BOH and SOU are my easy go-to airports, with even EXT too rather than slog up to BRS or LGW.

I don't think cheap fares come in to it except on some of the Ryanair routes

Sharklet_321
22nd Apr 2023, 15:24
TUI charge a premium to fly from BOH versus LGW or other London airports. Ryanair on some days are £500 return for a flight to Spain.

cavokblues
22nd Apr 2023, 21:25
I don't really quite understand why Bournemouth's situation is seemingly anymore precarious than a lot of other airports?

FrequentlyFlying
23rd Apr 2023, 00:04
Come on guys, no one is flying from BOH because of the airport. It’s purely to get the cheap fairs. It’s the same argument when you meet people down this way who go all the way to Stanstead to catch a flight. If the cheap operators move somewhere else all the passengers will follow. It’s very precarious which is why you won’t see any investment from BOH. There has always been a make hay whilst the sun shines vibe going on. They will always have their bucket and spades market for all the old people that retire down that way but nothing more.

looking at the cargo ops is the same issue, European Cargo is owned by a pure chancer who did very well building a cargo business to bring PPE in during the pandemic. Now the demand for PPE is at a level that normal cargo hubs can provide you have a bunch of aircraft sitting around doing nothing. Any cargo operator would be mad to put their freight through an airport with poor road connections.

BOH does very well having fingers in many pies but none of them are ever going to be anything to write home about. Think about Bournemouth as an actual place and what there is there to even stimulate a sizeable customer base in the first place. It’s never going to happen in the same way a Blackpool or a Manston is never going to happen.

Do you actually know Bournemouth? BCP Council population is 400+K! A massive mobile travel minded student population circa 20k, a well known large number of travel minded retirees, a large number of commuting well paid workers. Not adding in the adjacent towns in Dorset and Hampshire. Blackpool has a population of 141k.

The flights are not ‘cheap’ the local community of which I am one use the airport regularly for ease of use and are happy to pay the extra. A FR or TUI flight is often considerably more from BOH on the main routes than it is from major airports. I know this as I choose to pay rather than travel further. The fact TUI are expanding as have FR seem to align to this. It’s convenient and a rather nice clean modern airport. If it ever needs to expand I am sure the capacity is there to do so without much difficulty. I can’t see that happening as it will take another 250k managed well IMO.

Yes public transport is appalling. A transport hub circuit shuttle bus to the local 3 stations (again to point out BCP has 3 stations within a short distance of the airport, a further 3 more not far further), would be a sensible investment by a mix of the airport:local authority, but like all public transport it needs to be run continuously at regular hours for it become known and used well. Not a few hours a day to suit the business park or abandoned after a few months.

On another matter not related. Some time ago I remember issues with people creating a SOU vs BOH negative environment on each respective page. It wasn’t pleasant then and I hope it isn’t creeping in again. If you don’t use or like BOH or SOU for that matter, don’t use them. Enjoy the good news from both on their respective pages.

AVBH
27th Apr 2023, 05:42
Anyway…… It seems that cargo ops have resumed. A European A340 (G-ECLB) is due in Bournemouth today having been in China the last few days. Hopefully this is the start of a routine schedule between Bournemouth & China with regards to cargo.

22/04
27th Apr 2023, 08:33
I was of course referring to FR that no passenger likes as an operation and who certainly have no loyalty with anybody so hence the precarious comment.

I think you will find they carry more passengers in Europe than any other airline.

I flew with them last month. Very satisfactory. They do exactly what they say on the tin. If people don't measure their bags and pay if need be it's their look out.

If by precarious you mean they don't go anywhere where they can't make money or get a good deal or stay if that changes that's business. Supermarkets are much the same.

MARKEYD
27th Apr 2023, 15:36
Ryanair have started to load there winter 2034/24 schedule and some more increases in there routes which is great news

ALC 3 flights to x 4
AGP. 2 flights to x 3
TFS 1 flight to x 2
MLA 1 flight to x 2
FAO 2 flights to x 3

Las Palmas , Venice and Lanzarote continue into winter now as does Krakow and Wrocław

The BOH based aircraft is now used every day for services rather than just 3 x week this past winter

Edinburgh, Budapest and Dublin still to be loaded

AVBH
27th Apr 2023, 15:53
Ryanair have started to load there winter 2034/24 schedule and some more increases in there routes which is great news

ALC 3 flights to x 4
AGP. 2 flights to x 3
TFS 1 flight to x 2
MLA 1 flight to x 2

Las Palmas , Venice and Lanzarote continue into winter now as does Krakow and Wrocław

The BOH based aircraft is now used every day for services rather than just 3 x week this past winter

Faro , Edinburgh, Budapest and Dublin still to be loaded

Great news. I am sincerely hoping the addition of some previously successful routes such at Prague & Lisbon. Interesting to see EasyJet have reduced their Geneva schedule for W23/24.

MARKEYD
27th Apr 2023, 16:35
Interesting to see EasyJet have reduced their Geneva schedule for W23/24.[/QUOTE]

The EasyJet schedule is the same as in past seasons it’s not been reduced

EasyJet in passed years have added extra dates but in a much later date

AVBH
27th Apr 2023, 16:47
Interesting to see EasyJet have reduced their Geneva schedule for W23/24.

The EasyJet schedule is the same as in past seasons it’s not been reduced

EasyJet in passed years have added extra dates but in a much later date[/QUOTE]

I see. Hopefully we can expect to see a schedule similar to W22/23 too then.
Out of curiosity, where do you find information regarding new routes prior to them becoming available for sale?

LBIA
30th Apr 2023, 09:12
Is it just by coincidence that Jet2 Boeing 737-300, G-GDFL arrived into Bournemouth from Leeds yesterday. Looks like it's due to return North later this evening.

AVBH
30th Apr 2023, 09:16
Is it just by coincidence that Jet2 Boeing 737-300, G-GDFL arrived into Bournemouth from Leeds yesterday. Looks like it's due to return North later this evening.

Bournemouth v Leeds Football match. I believe the Leeds team are flying on that aircraft.

It has been rumoured however that Jet2 may be adding a new airport to their portfolio. Since they don’t have much presents down south, I’m hopeful it’ll be Bournemouth. Quite unlikely however.

shamrock7seal
1st May 2023, 14:25
As much as I would like to see a Jet2 base at Bournemouth, I doubt it will ever happen. Bournemouth does not have the catchment size to justify it as they would want scale over and above what is a very respectable current route network with Tui and FR.

Further growth at Bournemouth would be from the likes of Wizzair resuming their flying to a few places after a 15 year gap, and perhaps a 3rd Ryanair aircraft in 2024/25? easyJet should certainly be trying Malaga, Faro, Alicante, Palma and Tenerife to give Ryanair some much needed competition on those key and quite thick routes.

Bournemouth should be able to easily process 1.5m-1.75m passengers a year, but I think that is their limit given the proximity to Heathrow, Gatwick and even Luton with its multitude of airlines, destinations and schedule choice just 90-120mins up the road. Unless the urban population of Bournemouth doubles from 400k to 800k over the next 20years, or Southampton airport closes (unlikely), I don't see where growth comes from?

SKOJB
1st May 2023, 14:58
As much as I would like to see a Jet2 base at Bournemouth, I doubt it will ever happen. Bournemouth does not have the catchment size to justify it as they would want scale over and above what is a very respectable current route network with Tui and FR.

Further growth at Bournemouth would be from the likes of Wizzair resuming their flying to a few places after a 15 year gap, and perhaps a 3rd Ryanair aircraft in 2024/25? easyJet should certainly be trying Malaga, Faro, Alicante, Palma and Tenerife to give Ryanair some much needed competition on those key and quite thick routes.

Bournemouth should be able to easily process 1.5m-1.75m passengers a year, but I think that is their limit given the proximity to Heathrow, Gatwick and even Luton with its multitude of airlines, destinations and schedule choice just 90-120mins up the road. Unless the urban population of Bournemouth doubles from 400k to 800k over the next 20years, or Southampton airport closes (unlikely), I don't see where growth comes from?

Cant ever see BOH getting close to those annual pax numbers and whilst RYR are in town EZY won’t get involved, instead the routes you mention will likely be tried from SOU. Agree with your thoughts on Jet2 as TUI are already expanding with a few added tour operator destinations

Sharklet_321
1st May 2023, 15:42

You mention the growth may come to BOH if SOU were ever to close, but I disagree. The only airline that I could imagine may move over would be KLM. I really can't see a scenario where Aer Lingus Regional or Eastern or Blue Islands/Aurigny moved to BOH. They would do more from London instead.

SKOJB
1st May 2023, 16:17
You mention the growth may come to BOH if SOU were ever to close, but I disagree. The only airline that I could imagine may move over would be KLM. I really can't see a scenario where Aer Lingus Regional or Eastern or Blue Islands/Aurigny moved to BOH. They would do more from London instead.

Why would KLM consider moving from SOU when the route is predominantly a business/network feeder from AMS and has a motorway/train station on the doorstep?

SWBKCB
1st May 2023, 16:30
and why would Aer Lingus Regional or Eastern or Blue Islands/Aurigny move to London? Where?

Jerbourg
1st May 2023, 16:43

Aurigny are already at LGW with up to 6 daily flights to GCI.
Aurigny & Blue Islands are separate entities & currently code share on the GCI-SOU route, your 'Blue Islands/Aurigny' intimates otherwise.

MARKEYD
1st May 2023, 17:24
We have been through this so so many times it’s like a broken record

Bournemouth won’t see KLM , Blue Islands or Loganair that’s what Southampton does and it
does it well

Bournemouth will continue to see expansion from Ryanair and TUI and possibly EasyJet with the odd new destination
Jet 2 as much as everyone wants them won’t happen now , the other 2 airlines have captured the market and clearly are now committed to expanding slowly and are doing so with new based aircraft and increased destinations and frequency
Summer is brilliant at BOH , winter not so but definitely a demand for more frequent flights to the usual destinations

Wizz air would be as welcome as a chocolate teapot

MARKEYD
5th Jun 2023, 11:34
Ryanair are to continue the Edinburgh route this winter with 4 flights a week , same as the summer
using an EDI based aircraft

Budapest looks to be a summer only route now and Dublin still to be loaded into the system

SouthernAlliance
5th Jun 2023, 11:44
We have been through this so so many times it’s like a broken record

Bournemouth won’t see KLM , Blue Islands or Loganair that’s what Southampton does and it
does it well

Bournemouth will continue to see expansion from Ryanair and TUI and possibly EasyJet with the odd new destination
Jet 2 as much as everyone wants them won’t happen now , the other 2 airlines have captured the market and clearly are now committed to expanding slowly and are doing so with new based aircraft and increased destinations and frequency
Summer is brilliant at BOH , winter not so but definitely a demand for more frequent flights to the usual destinations

Wizz air would be as welcome as a chocolate teapot

No chance of EZY with RYR/TUI already in situ. EZY seem to be intent on expanding up the road with more routes set to be announced!

SealinkBF
5th Jun 2023, 17:17
Posted on TUI thread in error.

My pal has a flight booked with TUI from BOH to HER on 11th June. But that date isn't bookable online or is it listed on their Timetable page (first flight showing as 18th June) Any ideas why? If the flight is full the date should still be an option to choose (with a no availability message returned). The timetable listing is worrying!

OltonPete
5th Jun 2023, 21:50
Posted on TUI thread in error.

My pal has a flight booked with TUI from BOH to HER on 11th June. But that date isn't bookable online or is it listed on their Timetable page (first flight showing as 18th June) Any ideas why? If the flight is full the date should still be an option to choose (with a no availability message returned). The timetable listing is worrying!

I believe if the flight is full it just disappears from the timetable, I know that is not really the purpose of a timetable but I am fairly sure this has been the case with TUI for ages.

Not much comfort I know but it is listed for next week on FR24 BY6786 departing 14:40

Pete

SealinkBF
6th Jun 2023, 11:12
I believe if the flight is full it just disappears from the timetable, I know that is not really the purpose of a timetable but I am fairly sure this has been the case with TUI for ages.

Not much comfort I know but it is listed for next week on FR24 BY6786 departing 14:40

Pete

That's great, thanks!

SouthernAlliance
6th Jun 2023, 23:35
easyJet seem to be changing schedules and have dropped Sat flights, now down to x 3 weekly

rog747
7th Jun 2023, 07:24
easyJet seem to be changing schedules and have dropped Sat flights, now down to x 3 weekly

How weird, after all, SATS is historically the ''SKI Flight'' day....

I wonder if their SOU-GVA timetable will also see changes..

MARKEYD
7th Jun 2023, 08:13
I think it’s work in progress on the timetable at the moment

Saturday is indeed the busiest and most popular day at Geneva and loads on those days have always been a premium

SouthernAlliance
7th Jun 2023, 08:23
How weird, after all, SATS is historically the ''SKI Flight'' day....

I wonder if their SOU-GVA timetable will also see changes..

SOU stays as is although 2nd flight on Sat now only operating for 5 weeks across Jan/Feb

MARKEYD
7th Jun 2023, 15:55
EasyJet have added an extra flight to Geneva on Tuesday taking the service to 6 flights a week including 2 flights on a Saturday throughout the season now

sealo0
14th Jun 2023, 17:45
I went past BOH today for first day in what seems like months and on the south side along side the road there appears to be a new radar tower but the array’s weren’t turning. Anyone know what is going on?

mike

dixi188
15th Jun 2023, 08:09
New radar I guess. The tower went up about two weeks ago. Don't know why it needs to be so near the road though.

Sharklet_321
15th Jun 2023, 11:41
They've relocated it as they will eventually realign a taxiway on the northern side of the airfield and there is not enough space to do this with the existing radar location.

Flitefone
15th Jun 2023, 17:34
I went past BOH today for first day in what seems like months and on the south side along side the road there appears to be a new radar tower but the array’s weren’t turning. Anyone know what is going on?

mike

the airport reported to the consultation committee in March that the airport radar and ILS on 08 will be replaced this year.

FF

Mooncrest
16th Jun 2023, 06:28
the airport reported to the consultation committee in March that the airport radar and ILS on 08 will be replaced this year.

FF
The last primary radar I remember seeing at Bournemouth was a Plessey AR15. I guess it's the successor to this one that's being removed/replaced.

TCAS FAN
16th Jun 2023, 09:28
The last primary radar I remember seeing at Bournemouth was a Plessey AR15. I guess it's the successor to this one that's being removed/replaced.

Yes it was, when purchased, if my memory is correct late 1980s, it was not new. It was the demonstration/ development radar at Plessey’s when they had a factory at Cowes, IOW.

Considering that during its life SOU purchased the son of AR15, the Watchman, which was replaced a few years back, BOH certainly have had their money’s worth from it.

Mooncrest
16th Jun 2023, 10:35
Plessey radars seem to go on forever. The Watchman at Leeds Bradford was commissioned 33 years ago and is still doing the business. The 430 before it had the best part of 25 years service, some of it concurrent with the Watchman.

SKOJB
23rd Jun 2023, 12:59
RYR remove VCE for W23
@SeanM1997

AVBH
24th Jun 2023, 18:42
Disappointing to see no additional routes have been announced by Ryanair for W23. Prague & Lisbon were two successful routes prior to the pandemic.
Many of the main popular European Christmas destinations can only be reached from BRS, LHR or LGW. Surely there’s the demand in the South/ South West.

Buster the Bear
24th Jun 2023, 22:26
Disappointing to see no additional routes have been announced by Ryanair for W23. Prague & Lisbon were two successful routes prior to the pandemic.
Many of the main popular European Christmas destinations can only be reached from BRS, LHR or LGW. Surely there’s the demand in the South/ South West.

Will anyone have any spare cash to spend on additional holidays?

Asturias56
25th Jun 2023, 17:38
lots of inbound traffic I suspect...................

MARKEYD
1st Jul 2023, 07:46
EasyJet have added a Sunday service to Geneva to cover the busy ski season during January and February
The Thursday service also has 2 flights to again cover during January and February

In total quite a large increase in flights to Geneva during this time with 8 services a week

BWSBoy6
7th Jul 2023, 20:57
Rumour has it that RYR are about to announce a 3rd aircraft for BOH…

SouthernAlliance
7th Jul 2023, 21:55

TUI to SOU? could see it happening due to a virtual monopoly by RYR

AVBH
8th Jul 2023, 06:02
TUI to SOU? could see it happening due to a virtual monopoly by RYR

I disagree. TUI have increased their schedule significantly at BOH with the addition of a second base aircraft next year. Ryanair & TUI offer different products. They’ll continue at BOH.

rog747
8th Jul 2023, 06:25
SouthernAlliance
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSBoy6

Someone then needs to let BOH Airport management know then PDQ ---- they (BOH) cannot cope with 3 flights leaving at once.
Let alone 5 Based 737's possibly for S24 (3 x RYR, 2 x TUI) with at least 189 seats on each one.

BOH Hurn cannot cope summer 2023? (https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/23627864.bournemouth-airport-passengers-miss-ryanair-flight-venice/)

Quote:
TUI to SOU? could see it happening due to a virtual monopoly by RYR.

Impossible - TUI Airways cannot ever fly their 737-800s with full payloads, in or out of SOU, due to the short runway length (even with an extra 164m) plus factor in the clearway/obstacle limitations that cause additional issues (Trees, with Preservation Orders on them)
Only the A320 will be able to lift off an economical Payload from SOU once the 164m is added.

Before anyone pontificates, and with all due respect to our friends here on the Pprune BOH thread, SOU is not SEN.
There are limiting differences in operations for the Boeing, Vis-à-vis.

The TUI Holidays SOU operation (for both S23 and S24) is flown for them by BACF EMB 190s, with 98 seats (Twice weekly Palma charters)

For S24 TUI Airways will have a 2nd 738 based at BOH; and for currently this summer TUI Holidays uses Freebird AYT & DLM, Aegean RHO, and Alba Star PMI for extra weekly flights.

BOH management do now need to be strategic in their staffing levels for this summer and the expected future expansion -
The caveat being though is that Ryanair, on a whim, repeatedly cuts Routes, and culls Bases, whereas TUI is their bread and butter.

AVBH - I concur.

MARKEYD
8th Jul 2023, 08:39
Every UK airport has a bad day somewhere along the line ( some airports way more than others) and the media love these type of headlines with stories of queue’s snaking out the door, 3 hrs to wait to be checked in , families missing flights and no staff to be seen anywhere etc …..

I don’t doubt for a minute this happened at BOH and I would hope plans have been put into place to stop this happening again

Almost every day at least 4 flights leave in the first wave sometimes 5 and to process 1000 people at a small airport like BOH is a struggle

The infrastructure in the terminal at certain times of the day is creaking and needs to be improved , something I suspect will happen but as a point already discussed , Ryanair can shut a route down as quickly as it starts it , and investment here has to balanced

rog747
8th Jul 2023, 08:58
Every UK airport has a bad day somewhere along the line ( some airports way more than others) and the media love these type of headlines with stories of queue’s snaking out the door, 3 hrs to wait to be checked in , families missing flights and no staff to be seen anywhere etc …..

I don’t doubt for a minute this happened at BOH and I would hope plans have been put into place to stop this happening again

Almost every day at least 4 flights leave in the first wave sometimes 5 and to process 1000 people at a small airport like BOH is a struggle

The infrastructure in the terminal at certain times of the day is creaking and needs to be improved , something I suspect will happen but as a point already discussed , Ryanair can shut a route down as quickly as it starts it , and investment here has to balanced

Indeed Mark, a well balanced reply - Thanks.

However, we all pay a premium to fly locally to AVOID the very issues that have plagued the other airports such as those scenes seen at BRS, LGW, STN, MAN, BHX and LBA.

If Ryanair is the problem (well I never) then BOH Airport must get a grip on this expansion soon, or there will be more Daily Echo rants which will put off the punters, especially the likes of the TUI ones, who are the folk that are loyal to Hurn;
Hence TUI's decision to base another 737 for summer 2024 (deferred from 2020, when the 2nd 737 was to be shared with EXT)

Ryanair was pivotal in royally screwing up well and truly Southend in the end - I would hate to see that happen here at BOH.

AVBH
8th Jul 2023, 09:09
Ultimately it comes down to money as I’m sure everybody knows.

Ryanair offer fantastic value for money with prices which often cannot be beaten with any other airline. Unfortunately as a result, IMO, revenue directly from the airline isn’t comparable to that of a flag carrier. Additionally, a number of flight schools are no longer operating from BOH now.

I personally believe BOH is in a difficult position when it comes to prioritising investments. It seems that a new radar has recently been installed. These don’t come cheap. Cargo is also starting to ramp up. This requires infrastructure & many resources. Again, doesn’t come cheap.

Ideally the airport would see a huge investment which would solve many of the issues reported in the Echo (Staffing issues, X-ray scanners, Baggage belts, Terminal expansion etc), however it all costs.

In the meantime, there’s many negative reviews on the Airport regarding drop off fees, cost of food and drink etc. It’s all revenue which helps fund new equipment & staffing. Just because the airport isn’t the size of LHR, it still has much of the same equipment to remain functional and compliant.

S23 will be testing for the airport. I’m hopeful that improvements will be made in time for S24.

sealo0
8th Jul 2023, 09:18
already plans for 85000 sq m business space

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwia-8fl4v7_AhUPVKQEHfkWC0cQFnoECA4QAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bournemouthecho.co.uk%2Fnews%2F2357651 6.bournemouth-airport-business-park-expansion-goes-planning-committee%2F%23%3A~%3Atext%3DThe%2520expansion%2520could%252 0potentially%2520create%2Cfor%2520business%2520and%2520gener al%2520use.&usg=AOvVaw13l5tb6oBYWS0ec1JZgl_X&opi=89978449

AVBH
8th Jul 2023, 09:20
already plans for 85000 sq ft business space

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwia-8fl4v7_AhUPVKQEHfkWC0cQFnoECA4QAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bournemouthecho.co.uk%2Fnews%2F2357651 6.bournemouth-airport-business-park-expansion-goes-planning-committee%2F%23%3A~%3Atext%3DThe%2520expansion%2520could%252 0potentially%2520create%2Cfor%2520business%2520and%2520gener al%2520use.&usg=AOvVaw13l5tb6oBYWS0ec1JZgl_X&opi=89978449

I do not believe this is an RCA investment, however could be wrong.

Asturias56
8th Jul 2023, 17:39
"However, we all pay a premium to fly locally to AVOID the very issues that have plagued the other airports "

perhaps there are a lot of people in the area who fancy cheaper travel?

Albert Hall
8th Jul 2023, 19:26
Ryanair was pivotal in royally screwing up well and truly Southend in the end - I would hate to see that happen here at BOH.

That’s not quite how it happened at SEN. Warwick Brady (running Stobart at the time, now at Swissport) was desperate to have a good news story to announce at SEN to help the share price on which his bonus depended. EasyJet couldn’t or wouldn’t deliver the good news he needed, so he did a deal with his other ex-employer Ryanair to get them to provide growth at SEN.

Easyjet were literally stunned by that and their commitment to SEN (strong to that point) was never the same again. Had WB not done the dirty on them (as they saw it) then I am convinced easyJet base in SEN would never have been at risk.

It’s not Ryanair’s fault or Ryanair’s doing - more an example of how fixation with bonuses can drive behaviours of certain individuals.

rog747
9th Jul 2023, 07:11
That’s not quite how it happened at SEN. Warwick Brady (running Stobart at the time, now at Swissport) was desperate to have a good news story to announce at SEN to help the share price on which his bonus depended. EasyJet couldn’t or wouldn’t deliver the good news he needed, so he did a deal with his other ex-employer Ryanair to get them to provide growth at SEN.
Easyjet were literally stunned by that and their commitment to SEN (strong to that point) was never the same again. Had WB not done the dirty on them (as they saw it) then I am convinced easyJet base in SEN would never have been at risk.

It’s not Ryanair’s fault or Ryanair’s doing - more an example of how fixation with bonuses can drive behaviours of certain individuals.

Many thanks for your concise reply,
although I still feel that IMO Ryanair were complicit in the eventual demise of the SEN airport.
Best R.

Le Tirer
17th Jul 2023, 15:14
Bournemouth handled 101,150 passengers in May, I believe the first time that the May figure has ever exceeded 100,000. The previous highest was back in May 2008 with 99,828.

LT

rustythumb
17th Jul 2023, 15:25
This is good news.

MARKEYD
17th Jul 2023, 17:29
Good news about the passenger numbers for sure especially at the beginning of the season

Ryanair have added extra flights for the October half term to Edinburgh and Faro

BWSBoy6
26th Jul 2023, 16:40
Is the rumour also true that RYR at BOH is so busy that crew are having to be ‘bussed’ in from other bases to ensure adequate cover? If so, this can surely only be good news for the industry - and particularly the airport.
Anyone in the know able to confirm this?

AVBH
26th Jul 2023, 16:53
It is alleged that cargo will be further ramping up once again imminently. The current 3x weekly A340 to China is proving to be a success, despite busy commercial ops.
Despite the W23 schedule increasing slightly on last year, it’s disappointing to see a lack of new routes.

Groundloop
27th Jul 2023, 15:48
The current 3x weekly A340 to China is proving to be a success, despite busy commercial ops.

Don't understand what this is trying to say.

LW940
30th Jul 2023, 13:27
Looking at Ryanair it doesn’t look like DUB is on sale yet for winter! Maybe with the loads from April/May, the route may be doubtful going into the winter season?

April - 70% LF 132 pax
May - 61% LF 115 pax

AVBH
30th Jul 2023, 18:54
Don't understand what this is trying to say.

Sadly there had been some negative publicity regarding staffing levels at the airport which inadvertently were affecting commercial operations.
I imagine an airport the size of BOH must have a shared pool of personnel who are involved in commercial & cargo ops.
Based on the consistently efficient turnaround of cargo aircraft, it is clear that despite a busy summer schedule (in BOH terms), cargo is not being compromised. It seems the airport is coping well, which is encouraging for yet another busy S24.

SKOJB
30th Jul 2023, 19:54
Sadly there had been some negative publicity regarding staffing levels at the airport which inadvertently were affecting commercial operations.
I imagine an airport the size of BOH must have a shared pool of personnel who are involved in commercial & cargo ops.
Based on the consistently efficient turnaround of cargo aircraft, it is clear that despite a busy summer schedule (in BOH terms), cargo is not being compromised. It seems the airport is coping well, which is encouraging for yet another busy S24.

Good to hear both commercial and cargo are going well, what effect however will any additional SOU S24 flying possibly have on passenger numbers? Guess that is something BOH management will be very wary of!

SWBKCB
30th Jul 2023, 19:59
Aren't BOH's operators busy selling their summer 24 flights?

SKOJB
30th Jul 2023, 20:04
Aren't BOH's operators busy selling their summer 24 flights?

I agree and maybe effect RYR flight only more than TUI with holidays already on sale. Was just a thought I had

AVBH
30th Jul 2023, 20:25
Good to hear both commercial and cargo are going well, what effect however will any additional SOU S24 flying possibly have on passenger numbers? Guess that is something BOH management will be very wary of!

TUI already have S24 on sale. Two base aircraft, an increase in current schedule & 1 new route. It was rumoured earlier on Pprune that Ryanair were increasing their base aircraft to 3. Not sure how legitimate this may be.

SOU & BOH are very different places. SOU is nowhere near as superior to BOH as some people make it out to be. It has better transport links & a nice bar before security. That’s about it. SOU is a major transport hub for domestic flights, business & leisure. IMO, I think it’s unlikely SOU will ever compete directly with BOH. With current infrastructure, I believe SOU could perhaps manage some additional extra international routes. Certainly not enough to warrant TUI, Ryanair or EasyJet to create a hub. I believe BOH will continue to tick over commercially not exceeding 1.2M but not dipping below 750K passengers.

All personal assumptions of course.

SKOJB
30th Jul 2023, 20:56
TUI already have S24 on sale. Two base aircraft, an increase in current schedule & 1 new route. It was rumoured earlier on Pprune that Ryanair were increasing their base aircraft to 3. Not sure how legitimate this may be.

SOU & BOH are very different places. SOU is nowhere near as superior to BOH as some people make it out to be. It has better transport links & a nice bar before security. That’s about it. SOU is a major transport hub for domestic flights, business & leisure. IMO, I think it’s unlikely SOU will ever compete directly with BOH. With current infrastructure, I believe SOU could perhaps manage some additional extra international routes. Certainly not enough to warrant TUI, Ryanair or EasyJet to create a hub. I believe BOH will continue to tick over commercially not exceeding 1.2M but not dipping below 750K passengers.

I was in no way assuming SOU is superior to BOH, instead only a thought that if added summer flying from SOU does happen, with easyjet as some have suggested, would this detract from BOH in any shape or form, genuine question of which I have no idea!

rustythumb
30th Jul 2023, 21:34

Yes, I think as most would agree a single airport on the south coast would probably really thrive and perhaps have a throughput similar to LBA, but since that's not a likely or welcome scenario I think it's important to embrace BOU & SOU's different roles and markets. BOU is always going to struggle with catchment and while SOU theoretically has a larger catchment, it is 30 miles closer to LHR and LGW than BOH is.

AVBH
31st Jul 2023, 04:24
I was in no way assuming SOU is superior to BOH, instead only a thought that if added summer flying from SOU does happen, with easyjet as some have suggested, would this detract from BOH in any shape or form, genuine question of which I have no idea!

I know. As I said, some people make out that SOU is superior to BOH. It’s often mentioned in reviews & has been mentioned on here a number of times.
With many things, this forum is mostly speculation (there’s no problem with that). It will be interesting to see whether BOH & SOU gain any additional routes and/or operations for S24.

LTNman
31st Jul 2023, 04:52
Is the rumour also true that RYR at BOH is so busy that crew are having to be ‘bussed’ in from other bases to ensure adequate cover? If so, this can surely only be good news for the industry - and particularly the airport.
Anyone in the know able to confirm this?

Or it could be the case that Ryanair don’t want to base the actual crew required, as they are not yet committed to maintaining the existing level of services or might even be planning the odd cut back.

SOU & BOH are very different places. SOU is nowhere near as superior to BOH as some people make it out to be. It has better transport links

Transport links is BOH achilles heel. It hasn’t got any that is usable for most passengers so the impact should not be be underestimated. No trains, no National Express, no bus service apart from twice a day and nothing at weekends or bank holidays meaning the service is aimed at getting people to work and not meeting airport passenger needs.

MARKEYD
16th Aug 2023, 17:13
An excellent set of passenger figures for June which saw just shy of 115 , 000 passengers go through the airport

Bournemouth is now in the middle between Belfast City and Cardiff

Obviously the 2 nd based Ryanair has done the trick this year and hopefully with a 2 nd based TUI next year things will continue to improve

( still find it baffling though there is zero public transport links to the airport !! )

Palma saw a whopping 20 , 000 passengers and increased capacity to Malaga, Alicante , Faro and Gerona also saw big improvements

Ryanair should start to realise there Summer 24 schedule next month

SealinkBF
17th Aug 2023, 00:17
Re: public transport

What's surprising is how rubbish the service is 🤣

https://bustimes.org/services/737-bournemouth-bournemouth-airport-3

dixi188
17th Aug 2023, 08:39
The bus service is aimed at the industrial site workers in the NW quarter.
I don't think the airport operators want public transport as they can make a lot of money fron car parking and drop off charges.
The road to the terminal doesn't even have a foot path and a sign says "No Pedestrians".

AVBH
17th Aug 2023, 08:50
The bus service is aimed at the industrial site workers in the NW quarter.
I don't think the airport operators want public transport as they can make a lot of money fron car parking and drop off charges.
The road to the terminal doesn't even have a foot path and a sign says "No Pedestrians".

I think it’s very easy to jump to conclusions with regards to the “No Pedestrians” signage and lack of foot paths. Parley Lane has minimal foot traffic. Due to the nature of the road, there is nowhere appropriate for a vehicle to drop off passengers and allow them to enter the airport on foot.
Likewise, it doesn’t seem appropriate to allow vehicles to stop and drop off on the access road into the airport. It will cause traffic and be a hazard to pedestrians, more so since the increased schedule for cargo (large articulated lorries).
By installing a footpath, I believe it would almost encourage individuals to be dropped off and walk into the airport.
I suppose the only alternative would be for the airport to purchase some additional land & allow lay-by installation. This all involves cost & also willingness of the land owner to sell their land.

A National Express service would be the even better option!

dixi188
17th Aug 2023, 14:21
People do drop-offs at the entrance to the NMSB quarry opposite the airport entrance. Quite a few people walk to the terminal along the road.
Before the current terminal was built there was a footpath.

MARKEYD
17th Aug 2023, 17:54
Bit of a “ Rumour “ and I repeat “ Rumour “ going around , that the airport is possibly looking at the potential of extending the runway again for the cargo operation with the A340s of European to China etc

Is this a possibility within the airport boundaries, I am guessing it would have to be the threshold of runway 26 to be of any potential ?

SWBKCB
17th Aug 2023, 18:26
I'd love to read that business case :ok:

Flitefone
17th Aug 2023, 18:58
Bit of a “ Rumour “ and I repeat “ Rumour “ going around , that the airport is possibly looking at the potential of extending the runway again for the cargo operation with the A340s of European to China etc

Is this a possibility within the airport boundaries, I am guessing it would have to be the threshold of runway 26 to be of any potential ?

A physical extension is highly unlikely for a host of reasons, that are widely known, but!

The location of the road at the western end currently requires that the 08 threshold be displaced (not unlike Runway 20 and railways at Southampton).

At Hurn with the displaced threshold the 08 landing distances for a heavy aircraft will be marginal at times, for instance a wet runway and little/no headwind.

However with operating measures to close the road for 08 landings when required (traffic lights/barriers for instance), it should be possible to move the 08 threshold markers closer to the western end of the runway while meeting CAA requirements. And voila, you have improved landing distance on 08, closer to or equal to those on 26.

A runway extension with no runway extension if you see what I mean.

It would necessitate moving the ILS Glide Path, new runway threshold and touch down markers and revised lighting. As well as traffic controls perhaps even barriers on the road for the few occasions when an aircraft wishes to use 08 for landing.

Conversely the 08 Take Off Distance Available is excellent, whereas 26 is somewhat impeded by the road. The 08 measures might also permit improvements to 26 take off distances for instance with arrester tools such as EMAS.

There is almost certainly some scope for achievable improvement of the usable distances without actually extending the runway.

FF

Musket90
17th Aug 2023, 19:57
Agree FF. From memory a road is considered a 4.8m high obstacle and measuring on G Earth the 08 Threshold is over 500m from the road so I'm sure there is scope to move the threshold further west without the road being considered an obstacle. Maybe the road on the north side is the reason the threshold is where it is as it's closest point to the runway c/l is around 120m which is inside the runway strip. Perhaps this is the issue that's being re-assessed.

dixi188
17th Aug 2023, 21:49
There used to be a clearway procedure for improved 26 performance with the traffic lights in use. It's 18 years since I operated out of BOH so I don't know if that is still an option.
We were asked if we needed it for an A300 going empty to cologne. No was the answer.
The only time I've seen the traffic lights on was one night going to work at around 1 am. I stopped and waited a while, but the runway lights were off so I carried on to work. I asked one of the ops guys to ask the tower why they were on. The reply was "Oops, I tested them when I came on shift and forgot to turn them off again".

MARKEYD
21st Aug 2023, 09:48
EasyJet have increased their service to Geneva by adding a complete Sunday service from Dec - March

This is the biggest increase for many years and now takes the service up to 8 flights a week ( daily ex Wednesday) Thursday and Saturday seeing 2 x flights

Ryanair have also added numerous extra flights to their schedule to cover the Xmas holidays with Krakow services seeing an extra 12 flights alone

LW940
21st Aug 2023, 11:02
I’ve noticed Dublin still isn’t on sale for the winter!

It would be a blow if the route is dropped for winter

BWSBoy6
21st Aug 2023, 12:09
Ryanair have also added numerous extra flights to their schedule to cover the Xmas holidays with Krakow services seeing an extra 12 flights alone

Is it possible, therefore, the rumour about a third RYR aircraft being based at BOH might not be that wide of the mark? Looks like there might be a potential need, unless these extra flights are planned to utilise the post summer slack?

AVBH
21st Aug 2023, 12:22
I’ve noticed Dublin still isn’t on sale for the winter!

It would be a blow if the route is dropped for winter

Both Dublin & Budapest. Two popular winter city breaks. I was hoping a continuation of these services along with the addition of some more seasonal routes.

MARKEYD
21st Aug 2023, 20:30
Since posting about the EasyJet Geneva route earlier today , they have added another flight on Sunday for 7 weeks taking the route to double daily on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday

A massive increase in flights and obviously keen to capitalise on this lucrative route

Shame they couldn’t add perhaps Grenoble or Salzburg again

SouthernAlliance
21st Aug 2023, 20:55
Since posting about the EasyJet Geneva route earlier today , they have added another flight on Sunday for 7 weeks taking the route to double daily on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday

A massive increase in flights and obviously keen to capitalise on this lucrative route

Any further easyJet expansion is likely to come from SOU moving forward. Rumour is they are expanding from there for next summer!

MARKEYD
21st Aug 2023, 21:04
I think we all know that , it’s the worst kept secret to be honest
Was just posting about EasyJet increasing the Geneva route from BOH

TCAS FAN
22nd Aug 2023, 08:57
Agree FF. From memory a road is considered a 4.8m high obstacle and measuring on G Earth the 08 Threshold is over 500m from the road so I'm sure there is scope to move the threshold further west without the road being considered an obstacle. Maybe the road on the north side is the reason the threshold is where it is as it's closest point to the runway c/l is around 120m which is inside the runway strip. Perhaps this is the issue that's being re-assessed.

IMHO the only way that the 08 THR can be moved further west is for the B3073 and Chapel Gate roads to be diverted.

The origin of the approach surface, which should be obstacle-free, starts 60 before the THR at a 1:50 slope. Using the required road + 4.8 metres the 1:50 would clear the road. However, something that is not mentioned is the Runway End Safety Area (RESA) which must be provided in addition to the 60 metre runway strip end. The RESA is designed to provide an obstacle-free area in the case of an undershoot. The minimum RESA length is 90 metres, BOH appear to be providing 240 metres.

The chances of BOH being able to provide a safety case to reduce the current RESA are at least minimal.

dixi188
22nd Aug 2023, 09:13
Re. my post #442.
Went past yesterday around 1400 and the lights were flashing. A Draken Falcon 20 took off. Never seen the lights on for them before.

Flitefone
22nd Aug 2023, 09:52
“The chances of BOH being able to provide a safety case to reduce the current RESA are at least minimal.”

Agree, although this has been achieved at LCY with EMAS deployment. Quite a bit about this on the web:

https://airspacechange.caa.co.uk/PublicProposalArea?pID=517

Unlikely at BOH but not impossible

FF

TCAS FAN
22nd Aug 2023, 10:16
“The chances of BOH being able to provide a safety case to reduce the current RESA are at least minimal.”

Agree, although this has been achieved at LCY with EMAS deployment. Quite a bit about this on the web:

https://airspacechange.caa.co.uk/PublicProposalArea?pID=517

Unlikely at BOH but not impossible

FF

Apart from about 90 metres of grass between the start of 08 TORA and the 26 LLZ antenna, there is nowhere to install EMAS as it already paved surface.

rog747
24th Aug 2023, 11:54
Since posting about the EasyJet Geneva route earlier today

Easyjet Swiss have bases only at GVA BSL and ZRH - anyone else coming to BOH from GNB CMF or SZG will be a SKI charter such as for TUI/Crystal and Inghams Holidays.
EasyJet Europe do not have bases at GNB or SZB - they do have bases at VCE MXP LYS and TLS

ezyBoh
24th Aug 2023, 12:58
Easyjet Swiss have bases only at GVA BSL and ZRH - anyone else coming to BOH from GNB CMF or SZG will be a SKI charter such as for TUI/Crystal and Inghams Holidays.
EasyJet Europe do not have bases at GNB or SZB - they do have bases at VCE MXP LYS and TLS

easyJet doesn't have a base at ZRH. Just GVA & BSL. EZY flew briefly to GNB from BOH years ago on a 'W' pattern.

rog747
24th Aug 2023, 13:16
easyJet doesn't have a base at ZRH. Just GVA & BSL. EZY flew briefly to GNB from BOH years ago on a 'W' pattern.

Thanks, I had it in my head that did have a ZRH base - cheers for the heads-up.

Sharklet_321
1st Sep 2023, 14:48
According to a contact of mine Ryanair is proposing a doubling of the number of aircraft at BOH next summer to ‘4 at least’, were his words.

Could be in order to dissuade SOU expansion which could threaten to eat into the med demand.

Interesting times!

AVBH
1st Sep 2023, 14:58
According to a contact of mine Ryanair is proposing a doubling of the number of aircraft at BOH next summer to ‘4 at least’, were his words.

Could be in order to dissuade SOU expansion which could threaten to eat into the med demand.

Interesting times!

I would imagine for this to be achievable, the airport would need to make some serious investments with regards to the departures & arrivals terminals, especially since TUI are increasing their base numbers. A potential 6 737s departing within an hour of each other would be extremely testing on current infrastructure.

That said, It would certainly be great to see Bournemouth achieving growth on this scale though.

shamrock7seal
1st Sep 2023, 18:43
That would potentially mean 1.5m passengers using Bournemouth in 2024 and still with no public transport (bus) option!

I would expect the car park would need to be expanded too?

AVBH
4th Sep 2023, 18:26
Impressive PAX numbers for June ‘23. 114,958 had passed through the airport.
Having had a cursory look over previous years, it seems a significant increase in numbers.

MARKEYD
4th Sep 2023, 23:19
Impressive PAX numbers for June ‘23. 114,958 had passed through the airport.
Having had a cursory look over previous years, it seems a significant increase in numbers.

see post 433

Le Tirer
20th Sep 2023, 16:17
BOH handled 122,707 passengers in July. This is their highest ever monthly figure surpassing the previous best of 121,090 back in August 2007.

LT

shamrock7seal
20th Sep 2023, 16:30
The Bournemouth to Chengdu route has increased to six services per week from 18th September.

Le Tirer
20th Sep 2023, 20:58
New easyJet route to Lyon on Saturday from 13/1 to 24/2
Arrive BOH 08:00 EJU4473
Depart BOH 08:35 EJU4474

Didn't see that one coming!

LT

annakm
25th Sep 2023, 16:42
Maybe this little teaser announcing new routes might be followed by an announcement of another RYR aircraft being based in BOH?

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/23808933.ryanair-adds-bournemouth-airport-flights-summer-2024/

Dropoffcharge
26th Sep 2023, 07:45
Maybe this little teaser announcing new routes might be followed by an announcement of another RYR aircraft being based in BOH?

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/23808933.ryanair-adds-bournemouth-airport-flights-summer-2024/

But these are not new routes? These are just the existing routes being added to the summer program for S24, which are now bookable via there app/website.....happens every Sept/Oct.

AVBH
26th Sep 2023, 08:13
But these are not new routes? These are just the existing routes being added to the summer program for S24, which are now bookable via there app/website.....happens every Sept/Oct.

To be fair, despite no formal announcement of new routes or additional aircraft, I think it’s likely.

Passenger numbers have been impressive and there’s clearly a demand for affordable travel, something Ryanair achieved nicely.

With SOU supposedly serving EasyJet next summer, I would expect Ryanair to increase their presence at BOH.

I would imagine some exciting announcements from Ryanair & BOH (maybe other operators) within the coming weeks/ months.

Dropoffcharge
26th Sep 2023, 09:43
To be fair, despite no formal announcement of new routes or additional aircraft, I think it’s likely.

Passenger numbers have been impressive and there’s clearly a demand for affordable travel, something Ryanair achieved nicely.

With SOU supposedly serving EasyJet next summer, I would expect Ryanair to increase their presence at BOH.

I would imagine some exciting announcements from Ryanair & BOH (maybe other operators) within the coming weeks/ months.

I'm not doubting anything you have mentioned above, in fact very strong rumors of a 3rd, even a 4th based aircraft are being bounded around, I was merely stating that the echo's article says nothing of any new routes, only existing.

jcgolfer
26th Sep 2023, 17:11
Whoa! that's some radar tower Bournemouth has built. Any reason??

Flitefone
27th Sep 2023, 05:11
Whoa! that's some radar tower Bournemouth has built. Any reason??

The new radar site enabling a higher radar tower is intended to improve the effective radar range. The radar being replaced is closer to the runway, it has a lower tower to avoid penetration of the runway Obstacle Limitation Surface with negative consequences for Low Visibility Operations among other things. This new radar location is good news for the airport.

In short radar is more effective when mounted on a high tower, and high towers are not safe when located next to runways.

FF

dixi188
27th Sep 2023, 11:13
Heard a rumour that the north western taxiway is to be moved closer to the runway to allow for more industrial development and the old radar was in the way.

TCAS FAN
27th Sep 2023, 11:19
Heard a rumour that the north western taxiway is to be moved closer to the runway to allow for more industrial development and the old radar was in the way.

Plus, if I;m not mistaken, the current radar is a Plessey AR15 which was bought secondhand from the manufacturer in late 1980s and must be long overdue for replacement.

RichieD
27th Sep 2023, 12:46
Plus, if I;m not mistaken, the current radar is a Plessey AR15 which was bought secondhand from the manufacturer in late 1980s and must be long overdue for replacement.
AFAIK, the Northern radar is a Selex-ATCR-33 and is quite "up-to-date" (built this century :))

Flitefone
27th Sep 2023, 13:03

a reasonable assumption…

TCAS FAN
27th Sep 2023, 14:42
AFAIK, the Northern radar is a Selex-ATCR-33 and is quite "up-to-date" (built this century :))

I stand corrected, from what was said in a recent post got the impression that a new radar was in the process of being installed.

MARKEYD
27th Sep 2023, 15:32
The airport did report back in the March 2023 Consultive committee that there would be the following happening

There would be a new radar going in
A new ILS system ( presumably for runway 08 )
New fire engines and other equipment

The last meeting was at the end of July so I guess more information will come to light when it’s published anytime soon

Obviously TUI hadn’t confirmed about the 2nd based aircraft then so there could be more of a plan coming to fruition regarding the terminal as well

Le Tirer
27th Sep 2023, 18:20
The airport did report back in the March 2023 Consultive committee that there would be the following happening ..........
The last meeting was at the end of July so I guess more information will come to light when it’s published anytime soon

Where can I find the latest Consultative Committee minutes published? The latest minutes that I can see on the BOH website are from 17th February 2022. I cannot find the March 2023 minutes.

LT

MARKEYD
27th Sep 2023, 21:45
Bournemouth AirportMinutes from the meeting 1st March 2023 (http://www.wcresidents.co.uk/Airport_minutes/Airport_minutes_230301.pdf)

Le Tirer
27th Sep 2023, 22:15
Thanks MarkeyD, much appreciated

LT

MARKEYD
11th Oct 2023, 16:14
Ryanair Summer 2024

Schedules are beginning to be loaded into the system but strangely most don’t start till June which is bound to change at some point ( looks to be the same at most other UK airports )

At the moment 2 based aircraft are operating the schedules again with only GRO , DUB & FAO
left to be loaded

Malta goes to 3 x week
Lanzarote continues into the summer x1

Obviously it’s early days and would expect to see more routes and an increase in schedules launched later on this year

Hays travel have sold out there Barbados fly cruises for Winter 24 & 25 already and P@O launch the first of their BGI charters this month with 7 TUI charters operating this winter
Hays could sell a lot more fly cruises from BOH but have trouble sourcing TUI aircraft as a shortage of B787 and no other suitable UK carrier anymore

AVBH
11th Oct 2023, 20:26
Ryanair Summer 2024

Schedules are beginning to be loaded into the system but strangely most don’t start till June which is bound to change at some point ( looks to be the same at most other UK airports )

At the moment 2 based aircraft are operating the schedules again with only GRO , DUB & FAO
left to be loaded

Malta goes to 3 x week
Lanzarote continues into the summer x1

Obviously it’s early days and would expect to see more routes and an increase in schedules launched later on this year

Hays travel have sold out there Barbados fly cruises for Winter 24 & 25 already and P@O launch the first of their BGI charters this month with 7 TUI charters operating this winter
Hays could sell a lot more fly cruises from BOH but have trouble sourcing TUI aircraft as a shortage of B787 and no other suitable UK carrier anymore

Could you advise how this information is obtained please? Not criticising, just curious. Thanks

Jamesair1
12th Oct 2023, 07:58
I think it shows first on the Ryanair App

MARKEYD
12th Oct 2023, 10:30
Looks like TUI have withdrawn from sale it’s new destination Tunisia for next summer before it’s even had a chance of sales
Nothing in its place yet on a Friday morning

Flitefone
12th Oct 2023, 17:15
Looks like TUI have withdrawn from sale it’s new destination Tunisia for next summer before it’s even had a chance of sales
Nothing in its place yet on a Friday morning

Tunisia in the news this week, tricky situation. I can understand the caution.

roxytoo
15th Oct 2023, 06:50
Anyone know why schedules are loaded from Bournemouth to Alicante for June to September 2024 but not for April and May 2024?

Cazza_fly
15th Oct 2023, 07:35
Anyone know why schedules are loaded from Bournemouth to Alicante for June to September 2024 but not for April and May 2024?

Im presuming you mean Ryanair? If so, they've done this previously and across their operation also. Most likely so they dont miss out on the early bookers in the peak summer, but still finalising the shoulder months of the season so its less likely they have to chop and change as much.

roxytoo
15th Oct 2023, 15:36
ah ok, havent seen that before, thanks, will just have to keep on waiting!

GayFriendly
15th Oct 2023, 21:46
Sane for all routes from BHX so I'm assuming all UK served FR airports for the reasons given by the previous poster. FR have a habit every year of loading a partially completed summer schedule ...

Sharklet_321
17th Oct 2023, 21:30
A bumper month for the airport: over 124,000 passengers passed through the doors.

Bournemouth was the fastest growing ‘big’ regional airport in the U.K. in August.

TUI are advertising for more Bournemouth based cabin and flight crew aggressively on social media for summer next year.

Ryanair are rumoured to be increasing frequency from 2 to 3 weekly on several routes next summer including Krakow, Malta & Tenerife.

MARKEYD
18th Oct 2023, 16:22
Impressive August figures for Bournemouth definitely

A look at some lesser destinations saw

Bergerac , Zadar , Venice and Carcassone average loads of 90 % - 95 %

Pretty much the whole of the Spanish routes were full as expected while Krakow and Wrocław averaged about 98 % loads

Malta has already been increased to 3 x week for next summer and Lanzarote now continues into the summer season with Ryanair

Flights are still being loaded so it’s to early to say if a 3rd aircraft is joining the base

MYT LERS
25th Oct 2023, 23:11
Looks like a new (additional) TUI flight to Palma on a Friday morning has replaced the Tunisia flight

MARKEYD
26th Oct 2023, 14:58
TUI have replaced the Enfidha service on a Friday morning with another Palma flight taking the operator to 5 flights a week
With Ryanair operating 9 services a week , Palma will now be 14 flights a week for S24 the highest ever i believe

dixi188
26th Oct 2023, 17:59
Blimy, I remember when it was one Spantax CV990 a week.

ezyBoh
26th Oct 2023, 19:30
TUI have replaced the Enfidha service on a Friday morning with another Palma flight taking the operator to 5 flights a week
With Ryanair operating 9 services a week , Palma will now be 14 flights a week for S24 the highest ever i believe

It's a shame that they couldn't have been a little more imaginative in choosing an alternative destination. Let's hope the demand is there .....

LAX2000
27th Oct 2023, 09:01
Does this mean the 2nd TUI aircraft being based hasn't led to any new destinations? Just increased frequencies, enabling 10/11 night holidays.

Sharklet_321
27th Oct 2023, 09:24
I am surprised that TUI don’t do Funchal, Dubrovnik and Split. They used to be popular during Palmair days.

MARKEYD
27th Oct 2023, 09:56
TUI are incredibly safe in their destinations and they have an incredible profile over the years of what the customers like and where they travel to in order to get to that destination

I agree the market is there for FNC , DBV , NAP etc but could it sustain a full summer season ?
Only TUI no that , they see a huge demand from BOH to the usual suspect destinations and by basing a 2nd aircraft next year gives people a huge opportunity to extend their holidays a bit longer

Palmair operated a 148 seater B735 compared to TUI 189 seater a big difference !!

If only there were more smaller airlines , aircraft and niche tour operators left to do this again

casadave
27th Oct 2023, 21:24
Just a gentle correction - the 732 and 735 ops were 124Y which actually just accentuates the point you're making. TUI is, right now best off serving the 'milk run' routes it knows best and where it dominates in terms of beds/ground handling and widening up the duration options seems a well thought out strategy.

TCAS FAN
27th Oct 2023, 22:06
[QUOTE=MARKEYD;11528454
…….

If only there were more smaller airlines , aircraft and niche tour operators left to do this again[/QUOTE]

There are, but from SOU!

Asturias56
28th Oct 2023, 07:36
"If only there were more smaller airlines , aircraft and niche tour operators left to do this again"

there were but they all went bust - the survivors are all significantly bigger and a lot more data driven