PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man-3

Pages : 1 2 [3]

IOMX
19th Apr 2022, 12:02
Am I the only one that doesn't find the Loganair fare unreasonable - other examples from LCY

BA LCY-EDI Thursday 28 April - 17.20 dep £182

BA LCY-GLA Thursday 28 April - 17.00 dep £243

BA LCY-BHD Thursday 28 April - 18.55 dep £217

Totally agree. Sadly there are some very loud and vocal posters on here who cannot see beyond a world of Easyjet. They are focused solely on price and don't seem bothered by randomly times flights at odd times of the day . Also they don't stop to think the headline price does not take into account bags.

There is one Haven't a Clue who is referencing Easyjet flights from the island at 0955 as civilised. Maybe that's the case but I was on the Easyjet flight 21.05 last night from the island to Gatwick. Started by being herded into a small room with 186 people waiting for 15mins to board the plane- that was certainly not civilised! Took 45 mins to get from the plane to railway station at Gatwick and I did not have any bags to collect ( note I could get through London City in 10 mins). Had to squeeze onto a train with standing room only, going to London Bridge because Victoria closed for engineering works ( again). Reached my central London destination at 12.30am. Do I think thats civilised no I dont!

I recognise that some people are happy with Easyjet because they focus on price but the same few seem to think thats all we should have and don't recognise any of the other benefits you get by having a choice!

lfc84
19th Apr 2022, 12:12
I flew Loganair yesterday. Half full flight.

easyflyer83
20th Apr 2022, 03:46
Totally agree. Sadly there are some very loud and vocal posters on here who cannot see beyond a world of Easyjet. They are focused solely on price and don't seem bothered by randomly times flights at odd times of the day . Also they don't stop to think the headline price does not take into account bags.

There is one Haven't a Clue who is referencing Easyjet flights from the island at 0955 as civilised. Maybe that's the case but I was on the Easyjet flight 21.05 last night from the island to Gatwick. Started by being herded into a small room with 186 people waiting for 15mins to board the plane- that was certainly not civilised! Took 45 mins to get from the plane to railway station at Gatwick and I did not have any bags to collect ( note I could get through London City in 10 mins). Had to squeeze onto a train with standing room only, going to London Bridge because Victoria closed for engineering works ( again). Reached my central London destination at 12.30am. Do I think thats civilised no I dont!

I recognise that some people are happy with Easyjet because they focus on price but the same few seem to think thats all we should have and don't recognise any of the other benefits you get by having a choice!

Out or the all the posts on the subject, I would say the exact opposite is true and in fact it is you that is overly loud and vocal. Never have I seen a debate drag on for so long.

This isn’t tribal, I’m an easyJetter, and I do actually get your point and recognise the benefit of having a twice daily, shoulders of the day service using smaller aircraft. That leads to an higher average fare. Forget extras, not that many hold bags go on an IOM, EZY or otherwise, and the flight is so short that the delights of inflight service are enjoyed if required.

I think what some of the loud, vocal, ‘haven’t a clues’ are highlighting is the fact such a service being offered has had it’s ups and downs which suggests that the demand and profitability isn’t necessarily where you expect it. If they are advertising it as a “use it or lose it” service then that isn’t always a sure sign of a lucrative route. Not an inevitable failure but certainly not a cash cow.

Haven't a clue
20th Apr 2022, 07:57
Some background and comment on points raised by others:

The flights I looked at were in just over 2 weeks time, and booked 3 weeks ago. The choice was

Loganair ex LCY dep 1830 arr 2005 £174pp inc bag - £522

easyJet ex LGW dep 1915 arr 2035 £33pp ex bag, £54 inc bag say £162

Pre Covid I flew to London at between 12 and 24 times a year. I've been flying IOM/LCY since the original BE operated their BHD/IOM/LCY service over 20 years ago. I flew IOM?LHR and then IOM/LGW with Manx then BA Connect. I flew IOM/LGW with the next generation BE until they pulled out due to LGW's price increases which favoured larger aircraft. I flew to City on EuroManx, Aer Arran and even VLM. BA's services using Eastern and Loganair metal became my service of choice. I am an LCY fan. I have probably flown no more than 10 returns with easyJet to 2020.

Thameslink gets me from LGW to EC1 in 40 minutes for £16 contactless (saves a queue) and back for £8.40 off peak. Tube and DLR used to get me to/from LCY in 40 minutes for £2.70; more now I guess. Loganair's Saab 2000 was quick to LCY until the changed airspace routing, when it was became 1hour 20 minutes. Loganair's ATR42 was much slower, taking up to an hour and 40 minutes. My flights with them in Feb/Mar 2020 pre Covid were quicker thanks to ATC giving them a direct routing. Return flights were just over an hour. easyJet are usually an hour to LGW; an hour 10 back. At LCY bussing to/from the early morning and the evening flight was the norm. Thus far easyJet manage to use the Gate 55 jetways but I've only used the 9.55 easyJet flight. The morning flight has been ahead or close to scheduled time of 1110 and with no hold baggage I can to get the 1146 Cambridge Thameslink service. Getting into LGW after 10pm doesn't appeal at all.

So real travel times for both routes are similar, although arriving at LCY on a mid day flight will usually get me into town slightly quicker and at a lower surface price.

I'm not an easyJet cheerleader. I started using them because they were the only option post Covid. I don't particularly like Gatwick. And if anything blocks the track between East Croyden and Gatwick you are stuffed. I'm not driven solely by price. But to pay £360 more to Loganair than I have to for the same service (and bear in mind we are hand baggage only so the actual extra payable was £421) seems crazy.

Let's see how this plays out.

OzzyOzBorn
20th May 2022, 20:14
Passed through Ronaldsway for a heavily-delayed IOM-MAN Loganair flight this afternoon / evening. The terminal became increasingly packed - standing room only - with three EasyJet flights and a Loganair Liverpool service also delayed. This presented one major problem: the public address announcements in the departure lounge were completely inaudible. Nobody could hear anything that was said ... shrugs and puzzled glances all round.

I asked one of the airport staff if they could ask for the PA volume to be turned up. But she said that this was a known problem ... the system was set to full volume ... staff have been begging the airport management to do something about it for ages ... but nothing ever happens.

People who had seats were reluctant to vacate them to check up on announcements, as there was no chance of getting those seats back again if they did. Once I got to gate for my flight, I learned that we had been offered refreshment vouchers by Loganair due to our long delay. First I knew of it. Never heard a thing! Assigned gate numbers were learned by word of mouth ... screens are not visible from some sections of the terminal.

IOM management. Can you listen to your staff and sort out your dysfunctional public address system, please. WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! AND WE REALLY NEED TO!!!

Tonyq
23rd May 2022, 21:44
Passed through Ronaldsway for a heavily-delayed IOM-MAN Loganair flight this afternoon / evening. The terminal became increasingly packed - standing room only - with three EasyJet flights and a Loganair Liverpool service also delayed. This presented one major problem: the public address announcements in the departure lounge were completely inaudible. Nobody could hear anything that was said ... shrugs and puzzled glances all round.

I asked one of the airport staff if they could ask for the PA volume to be turned up. But she said that this was a known problem ... the system was set to full volume ... staff have been begging the airport management to do something about it for ages ... but nothing ever happens.

People who had seats were reluctant to vacate them to check up on announcements, as there was no chance of getting those seats back again if they did. Once I got to gate for my flight, I learned that we had been offered refreshment vouchers by Loganair due to our long delay. First I knew of it. Never heard a thing! Assigned gate numbers were learned by word of mouth ... screens are not visible from some sections of the terminal.

IOM management. Can you listen to your staff and sort out your dysfunctional public address system, please. WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! AND WE REALLY NEED TO!!!

There is no management at Ronaldsway. There hasn’t been for several months. That’s why it’s rapidly turned into something from the Third World.

They have appointed a new Director today, but he won’t start until August!

IOMX
5th Jun 2022, 09:44
EasyJet cancelled yet another flight from Gatwick to the Isle of Man last night . Recently the service had been absolutely appalling . I know there are difficulties in the airline sector in general but leaving the island in such a vulnerable position is unacceptable in my view .

Loganair have had some difficulties too but nothing compared to the EasyJet situation . I hope all those who think EasyJet are so wonderful and the answer for the Isle of Man reflect on recent performance.

BA318
5th Jun 2022, 10:13
EasyJet cancelled yet another flight from Gatwick to the Isle of Man last night . Recently the service had been absolutely appalling . I know there are difficulties in the airline sector in general but leaving the island in such a vulnerable position is unacceptable in my view .

Loganair have had some difficulties too but nothing compared to the EasyJet situation . I hope all those who think EasyJet are so wonderful and the answer for the Isle of Man reflect on recent performance.

In the past 7 days Easyjet has cancelled 3 flights. Loganair has cancelled one. Comparable to size that’s about the same performance and not bad considering on one day Easyjet had an IT failure. There have been a few delays on Loganair too.

As long as I’ve been reading this thread nobody has said Easyjet is the perfect solution for the IOM (like you constantly imply) but rather Easyjet is the only one paying their own way unlike the subsidised Loganair who will leave as soon as the subsidy stops.

Enjoy Loganair and keep giving them your money and they might stick around.

IOMX
5th Jun 2022, 10:36
In the past 7 days Easyjet has cancelled 3 flights. Loganair has cancelled one. Comparable to size that’s about the same performance and not bad considering on one day Easyjet had an IT failure. There have been a few delays on Loganair too.

As long as I’ve been reading this thread nobody has said Easyjet is the perfect solution for the IOM (like you constantly imply) but rather Easyjet is the only one paying their own way unlike the subsidised Loganair who will leave as soon as the subsidy stops.

Enjoy Loganair and keep giving them your money and they might stick around.

Sorry I don’t know whether you live on the island or travel there or not but the EasyJet services have been shocking . There have been cancellations major delays flights from Gatwick being diverted to Manchester then returned to Gatwick ( when at the same time their own Manchester to Isle of Man service operated ) . It been a total shambles and given it’s an island there are very limited options when it goes wrong .

And also worth noting that not all Loganair services to the island are underwritten .

I suggest you focus on getting some of your facts straight before commenting in the way you do !

BA318
5th Jun 2022, 11:34
Sorry I don’t know whether you live on the island or travel there or not but the EasyJet services have been shocking . There have been cancellations major delays flights from Gatwick being diverted to Manchester then returned to Gatwick ( when at the same time their own Manchester to Isle of Man service operated ) . It been a total shambles and given it’s an island there are very limited options when it goes wrong .

And also worth noting that not all Loganair services to the island are underwritten .

I suggest you focus on getting some of your facts straight before commenting in the way you do !

We know. You don’t like Easyjet and you think they are bad. You tell us every occasion that you post. Given the complaints about diversions what are you expecting to happen? I don’t Easyjet are diverting for the fun of it.

IOMX
5th Jun 2022, 11:58
We know. You don’t like Easyjet and you think they are bad. You tell us every occasion that you post. Given the complaints about diversions what are you expecting to happen? I don’t Easyjet are diverting for the fun of it.

Actually you are wrong I don’t necessarily think EasyJet are bad if you looked at some of my past posts you would realise I believe a mix of EasyJet and a smaller local operator is right for the island . Unlike some I take a more balance and considered view of the situation. And of course EasyJet don’t divert for fun but it’s odd when it was diverted to Manchester it ended up eventually going back to Gatwick whereas the Manchester flight itself took off and landed .

If you were on the island or used the route you might realise that the problem is basically the timing of the evening Gatwick flight . It is scheduled to land on the island during the summer at 20.35 which is very close to the airport closing time of 21.15 so any delays during the delay of the operating plane mean it’s not possible to get into the island . Yet during the winter it is scheduled to land at 19.25 . To my mind that’s poor scheduling .

However I will call out poor service and the EasyJet service recently has been appalling . Equally Loganair need to improve too they have had their challenges.

CandyBender
16th Jun 2022, 07:03
Not something you expect to hear about at Ronaldsway.......rolling delays of arrivals/departures being reported on Manx Radio.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ronaldsway-airport-closed-due-to-suspicous-package/

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/emergency-services-at-the-airport-551084?fbclid=IwAR0qBUzqqYF3VZj5iXL77vsSvdLqTLJsdAOTHDoEfnq5 JoFBUQ59ODT3z0E

revik
16th Jun 2022, 10:02
Suspicious package? OMG! You mean an aircraft that was actually running to schedule.

lfc84
16th Jun 2022, 10:06
https://twitter.com/TweetbeatIOM/status/1537372215615930368?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7 Ctwgr%5Etweet

"suspicious item was identified in the baggage checking area"

pabely
16th Jun 2022, 11:20
Fair play on EZY only deferring their flight rather than LOG canx everything!

Saabdriver1
16th Jun 2022, 11:57
With based aircraft and no prospect of ATC extension of watch for several hours tonight to enable all flights to take place, cancellations this morning were the only option. Flights under way for the rest of the day onwards. What other solution did you have in mind?

pabely
16th Jun 2022, 20:42
With based aircraft and no prospect of ATC extension of watch for several hours tonight to enable all flights to take place, cancellations this morning were the only option. Flights under way for the rest of the day onwards. What other solution did you have in mind?
So how come the EZY Gatwick is not now due to arrive until 10:20PM today and then depart at 10:50PM, is that not an easy ATC extension to catch up and not unconvince pax too much?
If LOG runs late would they just canx leaving customers to overnight at unexpected cost to themselves?

Saabdriver1
16th Jun 2022, 22:43
IOM terminal didn't re-open to passengers until 1100 today meaning the first departure of a based aircraft would have been some time after that - probably an hour at best.

Five hour delay on a based aircraft scheduled to depart at 0650 and finish at 2030 would have pushed its arrival on the last flight tonight until 0130 assuming no time made up through the day, and you more likely lose time than gain it given the handling / ATC / PRM problems out there right now.

Even if IOM would have stayed open to 0130 tonight (which is most unlikely), there would be serious knock-on delays into tomorrow due crew duty hours.

Tonight's EZY LGW delay also looks to be nothing to do with this morning's issues as the 320 in question has flown to SVQ and FAO. It's running late because of a delay to the FAO, not because of IOM security this morning. The FAO delay looks to have been LGW ATC systems failure issue according to the EZY website.

It's not a day for points scoring on any side - it's a mess all round, by the looks of it. Most of it seems to be stuff that no airline can change whether security or ATC.

pabely
17th Jun 2022, 11:56
No, wasn't trying to get any points. Just you said no prospect of ATC extension when clearly after problems at Gatwick ATC EZY ask for such and extension which was given.
My real grief was the Birmingham flight, seemed to get flight planned a little later than scheduled but then that canx. Brum pax would have no alternative.
Do LOG not have spare aircraft for such get back on track operations or are the loads so weak that they can combine AM & PM schedules.
Many here slag off EZY at the drop if a hat but if they left and LOG cannot recover an outage then the IOM would be in a worse position.

Mr Optimistic
17th Jun 2022, 12:37
They found an unexpected object on the runway today. It was later identified as an aircraft.

Dct_Mopas
17th Jun 2022, 16:45
Both ILS systems are scheduled to be replaced during July. Runway 08 first followed by Runway 26.

It seems however, at times, both ILS systems will unavailable at the same time. Depending on cloud/ fog/ winds then some weather disruption to flights is inevitable.

pabely
17th Jun 2022, 19:38
Cannot see this has been NOTAMed yet. Still only CAT 1 no doubt :-(

Dct_Mopas
18th Jun 2022, 07:59
Cannot see this has been NOTAMed yet. Still only CAT 1 no doubt :-(

NOTAMS will be published closer the time, covering initially the ILS 08 works which start on the 4th July. No idea if we’ll get an increased ILS category other than CAT 1. Only news is that the localiser and glideslope antenna’s/ transmitters are being replaced.

IOMX
21st Jun 2022, 08:08
Seems Easyjet have suspended Manchester flights to the Isle of Man from the end of June to the end of October. No doubt due to the changes they have had to make more broadly for the summer months. At least there is still the choice to fly with Loganair given they have persisted on the route although some posters would have wanted them long gone! And no they are not underwritten on this route either!

pabely
21st Jun 2022, 12:55
NOTAMS will be published closer the time, covering initially the ILS 08 works which start on the 4th July. No idea if we’ll get an increased ILS category other than CAT 1. Only news is that the localiser and glideslope antenna’s/ transmitters are being replaced.
Thanks. It has been debated before about CAT II & CAT III, a lost opportunity when the runway starter strip was put in years ago with no provision for required lighting :-(

3legs
23rd Jun 2022, 09:17
It would be nice to have the 08 Localiser aligned with the runway and not offset.
Lighting has been an ongoing issue for some time and at best we have a basic system requiring 1000m visibility.

If CATII was installed the weather diversions due to reduced visibility would be significantly reduced. I've seen many have to turn back when the visibility drops below 800m and CMV can not be used.

pabely
23rd Jun 2022, 12:11
CAT III was called for by the Industry but was voted down politically due to cost but other vanity projects went ahead.
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/parts-of-9-million-ronaldsway-project-dubbed-cosmetic-vanity/
Now what happened to Tim Baker!?

RVF750
24th Jun 2022, 20:21
You can't get CAT2 on Rwy 26. Not now or ever unfortunately. For a CAT2 approach you need terra firma under you are 100ft RA. The lighting is the same for CAT2 and CAT3 but you need solid ground under you at 50ft RA for CAT3. Add to this you need to add 300m landing distance on top of your normal one for an autoland.

If you were to displace the threshold on 26 to allow the 100ft point to be on the starter strip, plus add 300m on the end, you'll be halfway to Castletown football pitch. For a CAT3A or 3B, you still need all the lighting and 300m extension but can get away with swinging some of the lights out on a gantry.

Both would also allow the 08 Localiser aerial to sit on the sea wall at the start of 26 though.

In practical terms, would they want to lose the New Castletown Road, or build a tunnel under it for traffic? For the 10 days a year we lose due to poor weather? I don't think the maths adds up my self.

I am all up for pushing the 26 threshold 60m towards Castletown where it used to be to allow more lighting and a reduction in CAT1 minima though.

The previous Airport Director was warned (minuted)not to move the GP antenna and threshold towards the sea to gain distance at the expense of lighting. She ignored the professional opinions at the time and feigned ignorance for many years afterwards.

Jenny Tails
21st Sep 2022, 08:59
Flybe are back at IOM:

BHD-IOM starts 30/10/22
BE606 BHD 1420-1500 IOM (Mon-Fri) BE608 BHD 1805-1845 IOM (Sun)
BE609 IOM 1920-2000 BHD (Sun) BE607 IOM 2015-2055 BHD (Mon-Fri)

IOM-LHR starts 31/10/22
BE725 IOM 1545-1720 LHR (Mon-Fri)
BE726 LHR 1805-1940 IOM (Mon-Fri)

pabely
21st Sep 2022, 11:44
Brave! Let's see who wins with LHR.

Mr Optimistic
11th Oct 2022, 14:04
How to apologise whilst laying blame elsewhere.....

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/apology-after-atc-staffing-issue-saw-easyjet-flight-scrapped/

CandyBender
28th Oct 2022, 12:48
Well that lasted! Head to head with an underwritten LM service to LHR made as much sense as LHR-LBA with no feed. https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/flybe-cancels-new-flights-to-and-from-isle-of-man/?fbclid=IwAR1DR3EwsBm4QIviEsfNSQj1xG7VD2pm6IiAi9OthzNAUBlU7-4CrVKkdA8

pabely
28th Oct 2022, 13:17
At least better news of Dublin bound pax making connections to long haul easier https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/more-frequent-flights-between-dublin-and-iom-announced/

CandyBender
9th Dec 2022, 13:39
IOM - LHR to continue for Summer 2023 - no mention of whether the service is underwritten by the IoM government.

https://gef.im/2022/12/09/loganair-confirms-heathrow-route-future/?fbclid=IwAR0TUM3tIk0MxqYgG_KllqIE3qmdzPtA3JL4POicEjOtOZl1Fm h7SdbQ4Ds

pabely
16th Dec 2022, 07:50
Airport currently closed for de-icing
A) EGNS
B) 22/12/16 06:10 C) 22/12/16 14:10
E) EGNS 12160610 08 1/1/1 100/100/100 NR/NR/NR ICE/ICE/ICE TAXIWAYS ALL ICE SNOWCLO.
Why are they not telling the public that they are waiting for nature to de-ice? I assume like Southend they have no de-icer (due to covid no doubt!)

RVF750
13th Feb 2023, 18:05
Happy New Year Manxies.

Asturias56
14th Feb 2023, 07:46
i always knew time passed at a different rate in the IoM - New Year is 50 days later than the rest of the UK............. ;)

pabely
28th Feb 2023, 20:31
Aer Lingus restoring double daily and starting Belfast x4 week.

HMN851X
1st Mar 2023, 18:47
Saturday
EI3634 10:05 Belfast - 10.50 IOM 11:15 Belfast 12:00 EI3635
Sunday
EI3634 09.00 Belfast - 09.45 IOM 10.15 Belfast 11.00 EI3635
Monday to Friday
EI3634 12:50 Belfast - 13.35 IOM 14.00 Belfast 14:45 EI3635

Dct_Mopas
13th Mar 2023, 16:39
With the recent aerodrome closures, anyone aware why they only seem to be planned to coincide with the easyJet arrivals?

Just seems rather bad planning. That and with no ILS on 26 for the month, operationally the airport is not doing great.

pabely
13th Mar 2023, 19:03
This week's ATC unavailability are:
15-16 1900-1930, 18 0730-0800, 19 0800-0830
Which EZY flights do these effect?

Dct_Mopas
13th Mar 2023, 19:30
This week's ATC unavailability are:
15-16 1900-1930, 18 0730-0800, 19 0800-0830
Which EZY flights do these effect?

As you’ve asked, the 15th (MAN arrival 1855) and 18th (MAN arrival 0755).

On the face of it the closures shouldn’t affect much. But they will. CTOT’s are being generated leaving the flights stuck at the departure airport to coincide with re-opening.

Additionally the approach controllers will be off duty until the re-open time meaning the earliest you can probably land is 10-15mins after re-opening.

So effectively the 30 min closure is actually a significantly longer window with no arrivals.

EDIT to add: the comment about easyJet arrivals comes from the ground staff at the isle of man. Looking back at last Saturday and the morning EZY having to enter the holding pattern after departing within it’s CTOT, would suggest it’s somewhat correct.

pabely
13th Mar 2023, 20:06
Arrived 17 mins late and did a once round hold, I doubt pax even noticed.
Bigger issues with ILS u/s at the moment and the LGW being sent back to LGW.
Tonight's LGW EZY had a good look around the South of Island before making the approach.

pabely
14th Mar 2023, 20:53
Bad day for Loganair today.......

Persimmon
14th Mar 2023, 21:27
Yes, a very bad day of frustration for IOM passengers amid a meltdown of Loganair's Island based services. ATR 72-600, G-LMTE operating last night's service to London City, diverted to Birmingham, presumably due to a tech issue, and remained there overnight and all of today. The other Island based ATR 72-600, G-LMTD stayed quiet all morning until eventually heading off to Heathrow at 14:05, a mere hour and thirty five minutes late.
In an attempt to recover their scheduled morning services to Liverpool and Manchester, Loganair brought over two of their Embraer 145 jets, G-SAJC from Derry/Londonderry and G-SAJN from Newcastle.
By the time that this pair reached the Island (11:50 and 12:15 respectively), the 07:00 service to Liverpool, which had been delayed in various increments until 12:00, had been cancelled. As this flight is used each weekday for patient transfer to hospitals in the Liverpool area, it's likely that a good number of passengers will have missed their appointments and accordingly, baled out and returned home.
Eventually, the Embraer jets were dispatched to fulfill the Company's morning services to Manchester (09:30 - departed at 13:06) and Birmingham (11:10 - departed 12:44) and upon return to Ronaldsway, both aircraft returned to where they came from.
Later this afternoon/evening, Loganair cancelled flights to Manchester and London City, leaving their Liverpool evening service as the final act of a miserable day for all concerned.
According to FR24, it looks like the sick ATR at Birmingham will be making its way back to the Island later tonight so hopefully not as bad tomorrow.

pabely
15th Mar 2023, 23:07
https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/report-suggests-airport-could-be-removed-from-doi-control/

pabely
17th Apr 2023, 12:18
As yesterday was a complete write off, 'bring back Jurby', Loganair charters Titan A320, that's a big uplift from an ATR!
I think EZY upgraded the early Liverpool from 319 to 320 as well.

pabely
20th Apr 2023, 17:47
Another patch of no instrument landing system, travels be aware. https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/more-work-scheduled-for-ronaldsways-instrument-landing-system/

pabely
21st Apr 2023, 17:14
TFS direct from IOM W23, hopefully not a turboprop as shown in news article
https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/direct-flights-to-tenerife-from-sle-of-man-confirmed/

jijpc
21st Apr 2023, 17:21
IOM Newspapers report that the TFS flights will be operated by a Smartwings B737-800.

CabinCrewe
21st Apr 2023, 18:12
Lots of seats to fill albeit frequency total low. Lets hope it works out!
Whats the runway like at IOM for a 738 on a 4Hr+ trip?

pabely
21st Apr 2023, 19:10
Lots of seats to fill albeit frequency total low. Lets hope it works out!
Whats the runway like at IOM for a 738 on a 4Hr+ trip?
Might need a Fuel top-up on the way, think previous services have gone via Exeter.

revik
24th Apr 2023, 00:31
'Whats the runway like at IOM for a 738 on a 4Hr+ trip?'

Useless - next question.

rog747
24th Apr 2023, 05:42
FlyDirect are a Jersey based Tour Operator and already serves TFS from JER for some years with Smartwings.
They also offer IOM departures to Majorca and Malaga in the summer using BACF EMB190s.

The IOM - TFS program is very short season -
Flying Direct to Tenerife from the Isle of Man
2023/2024 Programme - On Sale Tuesday 25th April
For our 2023/2024 Tenerife programme we are pleased to welcome you onboard with Smartwings. You will enjoy a comfortable flight and be in Tenerife in around 4.5 hours onboard a Boeing 737-800. The seating configuration for this plane is a 3 x 3 layout.

Smartwings Flight Timetable
Departures will be on Fridays starting on 22nd December 2023 until 26th January 2024 when the final flight will depart the Isle of Man for Tenerife, returning on Friday 2nd February 2024.

Luggage
18 kg of hold luggage and one cabin bag up to 5kg
Please note that the 18 kg limit will be strictly adhered to, in order to ensure that all checked baggage may be carried on the flight.
Any additional items, such as a handbag or laptop bag/briefcase, must be carried within this single item of cabin baggage and the overall weight must not exceed 5 kg in total.
We regret that due to weight restrictions on these flights, additional baggage such as sports equipment and surf boards cannot be carried.

I think this IOM flight operates via JER (Split load)

JER-TFS (https://www.flydirect.co.uk/flight-information/flying-to-tenerife-from-jersey)

MARKEYD
24th Apr 2023, 07:35
Rog747

The TFS program is a small tester into the market from the IOM for the winter months , hence only 3 flights
The flights are not linked with Jersey but a stand alone program but with luggage and passenger restrictions

Here in Jersey the flights are capped at 155 passengers and a baggage allowance of 23 kg using Smart wings B73M ( the aircraft copes admirably from the runway !! )

The flights are incredibly popular and sell out very quickly

pabely
24th Apr 2023, 11:40
TFS - flight times do imply non-stop, going to be impressive departure from IOM unless restricted pax & baggage.

pabely
30th Apr 2023, 20:03
Looks like yesterday's Malaga passengers are going to get their 7 days holiday for only 5 days and the ones already out there get 9 for the price of 7 as the BA charter never got in, went to LCY so some nights in London?!

Separately, UK DofT talking about auditing IOM, Jersey & Guernsey airports to make sure they are up to standard as per international aviation rules. Is the airport answerable to CAA if failings appear?

Haven't a clue
15th May 2023, 08:42
A Manx Radio interview with Chris Thomas MHK, Infrastructure Minister, and thus responsible for Ronaldsway, addresses recent disruption due to weather. He says the ILS on both 08 and 26 have been upgraded, and the plan is to spend a further £2m to achieve CAT II on one runway.

Report here (https://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/petitioner-calls-on-govt-to-improve-fairness-for-air-passengers/)

Anyone know what they are going to do and when?

FlyboyUK
15th May 2023, 09:00
Should be possible on 26, not going to work on 08 with the offset ILS and steeper glide path. JER has CatII on 08

Haven't a clue
15th May 2023, 10:08
Thanks for that FlyboyUK. So I guess it's put back the gantry lighting that was deemed unnecessary when the previous management spent megabucks to extend the island then? Presumably the widening of the 26 starter strip allows them to pull the threshold further east (other posters previously suggested another 100m runway length was required for CAT II, but I thought there still needed to be protection in the undershoot?

pabely
15th May 2023, 12:09
Super good news and should have been done when the original project was done.
Lower decision height & RVR will make a big difference enabling more to get in during poor conditions.

SWBKCB
22nd Jul 2023, 10:24
Airlines interested in operating services to and from the Isle of Man have been asked to come forward.

The Department of Infrastructure (DOI) said it wants to gauge interest in scheduling services to airports in London and the North West. The procurement exercise was to identify "suitably capable and experienced airlines" that could service the routes.

The DOI said it was an exploratory exercise for the time being. The prior information notice has called for airlines capable of servicing a London route to submit a summary of their experience, with details of their current aircraft fleet and proposed schedule, and capacity for routes.

The department has asked for information about current slots at London Heathrow, London City and London Gatwick airports, and proposals for others in the region with direct rail connections to central London.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-66271444

SouthernAlliance
22nd Jul 2023, 10:29
SOU with Loganair twice daily with airport station 60 minutes from London, job done!

pabely
22nd Jul 2023, 10:44
Another total useless exercise by IOM Government who have no idea. Sort out the ATC issues at the airport they manage (or mis-manange), reduce landing fees to an industry norm to make such a proposal attractive.
Slots at LHR, LGW & LCY are prized assets worth millions. If I was say IAG controlling CityFlyer, where I could ( and do) fly my planes to EDI or BFS and can charge good money, why would I consider IOM where landing charges are high (no CAT3 for bad weather ops) and the Manx public still expect fares for £9 return!
Get your local product in order first. God they can fund unlimited public cash at the boats so why not the airport?

rog747
22nd Jul 2023, 11:44
SOU with Loganair twice daily with airport station 60 minutes from London, job done!

As you may know the Southampton Airport Parkway station has great fast regular connections not just to London Waterloo, but to Reading, Woking and Clapham Junction.
Change at Reading for London Paddington and the Elizabeth Line to the City.
Change at Clapham Junction for London Victoria and the TFL Overground

virginblue
22nd Jul 2023, 11:51
What is their grief? As per the IOM website, the airport has the best selection of routes for a long time (BFS, BHD, BHX, BRS, DUB, EDI, LPL, LGW, LHR, LCY, MAN) . What is the issue? Compared to the past, I only see GLA as an obvious gap in the network (although it has always been a somewhat thin route). More frequencies to places like BHX or BRS?

Not sure how things have developed on the Isle of Man, but if the development is only remotely close to the Channel Islands, leisure related travel must have gone down quite a bit over the past 20 years and accordingly also demand for air travel. Or has outbound travel and business-related travel dramatically increased?

jmdavies86
22nd Jul 2023, 12:18
Slots at LHR, LGW & LCY are prized assets worth millions.

LTN, SEN & STN don't currently have flights to IOM - and all of them have rail connections into London.

As for the North West, BLK could be used to help serve Lancashire and also CAX to serve the Cumbrian market - both of these are reasonably close to the Lake District to cater for any inbound tourists who wish to visit from the Isle of Man.

SWBKCB
22nd Jul 2023, 12:21
As for the North West, there's also BLK that could help to serve Lancashire, and also possibly Carlisle to serve Cumbria - both of which are reasonably close to the Lake District to cater for any inbound tourists who wish to visit from the Isle of Man.

But both don't currently offer services to handle airline flights.

virginblue
22nd Jul 2023, 12:26
Pardon my ignorance, but why would an island in the middle of the Irish Sea with 80k or so inhabitants need airline service to more than 3 London airports? Maybe places like Barcelona or Amsterdam (which, I think, at some point, indeed had service from all six LON airports) justify such a plethora of routes...

jmdavies86
22nd Jul 2023, 12:37
But both don't currently offer services to handle airline flights.

True, neither currently do, however BLK in particular has already suggested that flights to IOM are being considered (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-62236615), plus it's worth remembering that IOM-BLK was a popular route when it was previously served by Spacegrand, Manx, Loganair and more recently Manx2/Citywing, especially when there was the option of being able to stay on the aircraft at IOM and continue onto Belfast.

SWBKCB
22nd Jul 2023, 12:54
I've long thought there is still the business there for a Spacegrand type operation between BLK, CAX, IOM, BFS/BHD, DUB but there aren't the operators now (even the S.340 at CAX was a bit big) and how do you handle airport costs (BLK now has no pasenger handling facilities and when LOG were at CAX there seemed to be as many staff as pax). It would need to be treated more how the Highlands and Islands services are done.

virginblue
22nd Jul 2023, 12:59
I think popular is relative. After the glory days of BUA and its Heralds, it was most of the times a 19 seater Twin Otter / Let 410 route. Bigger equipment like the Saab 340 did not work. As there are no longer airlines around with that kind of equipment it pretty much is a non-starter (unless you would throw so much money at Skybus that they cannot say no or pay a foreing carrier like AIS Airlines to base an aircraft).

SWBKCB
22nd Jul 2023, 13:08
Bring back the Shed!

rog747
22nd Jul 2023, 13:52
Bring back the Shed!

Oh gosh no - we had SH330/360s at BMA and they saw Channel Islands services at weekends, ugh!

The London Heathrow route for me was twice daily BMA (then became Manx) Viscounts (73 seats) which were usually well loaded, BD 301/302 rings a bell lol;
or the 4 x daily BD LHR-LPL flights which all had an onward IOM connection, also with Viscounts.

BMA got the LHR-IOM route from BA in 1980 (along with the LHR-LBA and LHR-BHX), previously this was a Cambrian Airways route with 1-11's and Viscounts.
It was a prime route for us, and via LPL too.

davidjohnson6
1st Aug 2023, 20:04
I know during Covid, the steam train service at Ronaldsway Halt was suspended. Has service to this stations resumed again or are train just passing through non-stop regardless of passenger request ?
I've been looking on the web - but timetables show timings just for the principal stations, not the request stops. Ronaldsway Halt also appears to be missing from recently published maps

CandyBender
1st Aug 2023, 20:37
I know during Covid, the steam train service at Ronaldsway Halt was suspended. Has service to this stations resumed again or are train just passing through non-stop regardless of passenger request ?
I've been looking on the web - but timetables show timings just for the principal stations, not the request stops. Ronaldsway Halt also appears to be missing from recently published maps

Ronaldsway Halt, along with Ballabeg & Colby Level, are still served on a request basis. They may not have attached timings on the main timetable at rail.im but they are mentioned as request stations. I walk the dogs on a circuit that takes in Castletown station & Ronaldsway Halt, in addition to using the railway during the season & I have never seen a train stop at the airport halt. It always reminds me of Teesside airport station - a hike away from the terminal with a limited service.

pabely
1st Aug 2023, 21:20
"The halt was temporarily suspended for the 2021 season amid the Covid-19 pandemic and reopened fully at the start of the next season in 2022."
https://www.iomsrsa.org/the-railway/stations/the-south-line/ronaldsway-halt
I was last on it August 2022 and 2 people did jump on :-)

OzzyOzBorn
2nd Aug 2023, 02:36
I have in the past used a steam train from Douglas to Ronaldsway Halt prior to catching a flight from IOM to MAN. Best Rail-Air service ever!

pabely
8th Aug 2023, 21:44
https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/ronaldsway-waives-landing-fees-for-small-aircraft-on-weekends/

TartinTon
8th Aug 2023, 21:54
Even when you request Ronaldsway Halt to the guard onboard they don't always stop....still it was a nice walk from Castletown to the airport!

CandyBender
6th Sep 2023, 17:46
Another summer charter destination announced today....... https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/direct-flights-to-portugal-for-summer-2024/

pabely
6th Sep 2023, 21:45
Another summer charter destination announced today....... https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/direct-flights-to-portugal-for-summer-2024/
Just need Paris and it will be matching Southend!
Seriously though, good on the local travel agents putting these on.

pabely
9th Oct 2023, 18:03
With the local news of Tesco taking over the local Supermarket chain Shoprite, I wonder if interest in a reestablished air link to Luton or Stansted will come about? Going to be alot of traffic to/from Cheshunt soon. I did note alot of charters from Luton recently so assume connected to this deal.
Certainly on online gaming community would welcome an alternative route to London.

CandyBender
10th Oct 2023, 20:31
Surprised no one has mentioned the upcoming IOM-JER service with BlueIslands; although it will be for a more limited period than the summer charters. Even at twice a week isn't an ATR72 too much aircraft for the route? https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/new-direct-flights-to-connect-isle-of-man-and-jersey/

lfc84
10th Oct 2023, 20:56
Feb charter to Lapland. Looks like £1500 +

pabely
10th Oct 2023, 22:15
Surprised no one has mentioned the upcoming IOM-JER service with BlueIslands; although it will be for a more limited period than the summer charters. Even at twice a week isn't an ATR72 too much aircraft for the route? https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/new-direct-flights-to-connect-isle-of-man-and-jersey/
Knowing what Blue Island charge, I doubt the Manx public will be interested. If a Private Bank or Althol Street paying, that's a different matter!

jmdavies86
16th Oct 2023, 15:20
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-67101264

The mail plane will be replaced by ferry transportation after Royal Mail said an aircraft was "no longer commercially viable".

I didn't realise the Isle of Man had a dedicated 'mail plane'; who used to operate it?

Could the Royal Mail not pay to have the mail to be flown by/on any of the commercial services that are currently operated from/to IOM and resume the automatic next-day delivery...?!

lfc84
16th Oct 2023, 15:23
I didn't realise the Isle of Man had a dedicated 'mail plane'; who used to operate it?

West Atlantic

Could the Royal Mail not pay to have the mail to be flown by/on any of the commercial services that are currently operated from/to IOM and resume the automatic next-day delivery...?!

Customers can pay for special delivery - letters and packets sent by commerical air services. Details below.

https://www.iompost.com/for-you/sending-mail/isle-of-man-and-uk/isle-of-man-uk-special-delivery/

barry lloyd
16th Oct 2023, 20:43
When the Isle of Man had proper heritage airlines operating, such as Cambrian Airways and Manx Airlines, mail was routinely carried on their scheduled flights. Low-cost operators have no interest in this, despite the fact that the carriage of mail pays a significant premium.

lfc84
16th Oct 2023, 20:57
When the Isle of Man had proper heritage airlines operating, such as Cambrian Airways and Manx Airlines, mail was routinely carried on their scheduled flights. Low-cost operators have no interest in this, despite the fact that the carriage of mail pays a significant premium.
Good job there's high-cost operators to run the service

barry lloyd
16th Oct 2023, 22:22
Good job there's high-cost operators to run the service
It's a relative term. Crossing water by air was never cheap

Jamesair1
17th Oct 2023, 12:22
I would have thought an airline such as Loganair would be interested in carrying mail on its scheduled services to and from the IOM

PV1
17th Oct 2023, 12:34
Are the newspapers still flown in?

lfc84
17th Oct 2023, 12:42
Are the newspapers still flown in?
no. havent been for years

simoncorbett
17th Oct 2023, 18:01
The Sunday newspapers are flown in from time to time from BHX, but I’ve not noticed for a few weeks

pabely
16th Nov 2023, 12:23
If I was Airport Chief, I would be all over EZY to ask for a chance to try a direct AMS connection https://www.channel103.com/news/jersey/easyjet-scraps-amsterdam-route

davidjohnson6
16th Nov 2023, 12:33
Why should Easyjet fly AMS-IOM compared to any other route ? What is commercially compelling about this route to Easyjet ? Why would it be more profitable than other candidate routes ?
That's not to say the people on the IoM wouldn't be happy to see this route but I can't quite see enough of a rationale for a profit-seeking airline

Albert Hall
17th Nov 2023, 09:27
When easyJet has just binned Jersey-Amsterdam - from an island with a larger and more affluent population than the Isle of Man, and between which there have been summer charter flights for incoming tourism for years - then it's a crackpot idea to suggest that now is the time to strike on IOM-Amsterdam. If Jersey has failed, IOM has even less chance of working.

MARKEYD
17th Nov 2023, 09:42
If I was Airport Chief, I would be all over EZY to ask for a chance to try a direct AMS connection https://www.channel103.com/news/jersey/easyjet-scraps-amsterdam-route

And that is the reason your not an Airport Chief

pabely
17th Nov 2023, 11:54
And that is the reason your not an Airport Chief
The current one is a little better than predecessor in actually having airport experience, but no connections to generating new routes and airline relationships.

pabely
20th Nov 2023, 14:47
Talking about Airport Chief, I see the ex Deputy is now suing IOM Airport. Some might remember him as a reality Airport personalty at LHR!

horatio_b
20th Nov 2023, 15:58
Jeremy Spake has apparently set up a consultancy with Ann Reynolds, former airport director
https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/bbc-reality-tv-star-takes-isle-of-man-government-to-court-over-stress-and-breach-of-contract-claims-649600

The airport was put under "special attention" measures by the CAA in 2019 and still has an enforcement notice in place
https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/ronaldsway-airport-on-notice-from-caa-632341

PAXboy
20th Nov 2023, 18:19
I only saw Mr Spake on the 'reality' show. The best aspect of him was that he put the pax first. This was obvious in everything he did. Some may not have liked his flambouyant personality but he wanted the customer to be king - as we were urged many years ago!!

I would hazard a guess that corporate life did not suit as he (possibly) did not put the company first. I was raised on the old fashioned line:

Look after the customer
The customer will look after the company
The company will look after you

How very 1960s ...

jmdavies86
7th Dec 2023, 22:23
Today [7th] marks the end of the 5-week viability assessment by Blue Islands for operating flights between (GCI-)JER-IOM; does anyone know what the passengers numbers looked like at all...?!

Markushillman
8th Dec 2023, 07:52
Today [7th] marks the end of the 5-week viability assessment by Blue Islands for operating flights between (GCI-)JER-IOM; does anyone know what the passengers numbers looked like at all...?!

I'd imagine pretty poor, I saw about 10 people get off when I was waiting for my flight at Jersey.

jmdavies86
2nd Jan 2024, 20:02
IOM are recruiting for an Airport Service Delivery Manager position for anyone who might be suitably interested: https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/job/jobdetail?jobid=17733&Source=JobtrainLinkedInJobs

pabely
18th Jan 2024, 18:27
Total meltdown (or not) with the Handling Agent for Loganair today, and probably tomorrow as well!

lfc84
18th Jan 2024, 19:57
Total meltdown (or not) with the Handling Agent for Loganair today, and probably tomorrow as well!
Google - deicer isle of man airport - and you'll see it's not the first time they've had issues relating to deicer

pabely
29th Feb 2024, 14:58
https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/easyjet-runs-luton-flights-for-tt/

CandyBender
3rd Mar 2024, 16:02
Anyone any ideas as to what Scottish Government/Loganair Twin Otter G-SGTS, was doing this afternoon operating GLA-IOM-GLA? Just been buzzed by it in Castletown as it left Ronaldsway.

jmdavies86
3rd Mar 2024, 16:29
Anyone any ideas as to what Scottish Government/Loganair Twin Otter G-SGTS, was doing this afternoon operating GLA-IOM-GLA? Just been buzzed by it in Castletown as it left Ronaldsway.

Well, it was only on the ground at IOM for approximately 30 minutes, so perhaps it was dropping someone (or something...?!) off; I wonder whether one of their ATR aircraft might be in need of a spare part(s)...?!

pabely
8th Apr 2024, 18:10
At least one part of the airport operations is expanding https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2024-04-08/megacorp-expands-and-modernizes-isle-man-fbo

Wingspanner
8th Apr 2024, 19:38
How are the private aircraft movements looking at EGNS?

pabely
9th Apr 2024, 11:25
How are the private aircraft movements looking at EGNS?
If you mean PPL license flights from the Club Southside, still very poor since covid.
Executive Jets into the FBO have a healthy increase this year, hence the upgrade of the facilities.

pabely
18th Apr 2024, 11:17
This will be of interest to same locally based e-commerce companies & Easyjet to Gatwick.
Norse Atlantic Airways proudly announces the launch of its newest route connecting London Gatwick and Cape Town, set to commence on October 28th, 2024. With flights operating three times a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday,

pabely
19th Apr 2024, 16:46
We regret to inform you that there has been an incident involving a small general aviation aircraft on our runway, leading to its temporary closure. Our team is working diligently to resolve the situation.

We kindly request that speculation be avoided at this time, as accurate information will be communicated promptly as soon as it becomes available. The safety and well-being of our customers and the airport community remain our top priority.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused to our customers and their flights. Further updates will be given as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

lfc84
19th Apr 2024, 16:47
Cross runway in use. Loganair from Birmingham just landed on it.

Doesn't help easyJet much

pabely
19th Apr 2024, 16:58
Yes, just heard that. Probably won't help later Loganair shedules as I don't think cross runway is night lighting rated.

Persimmon
20th Apr 2024, 07:59
From the picture that I have seen, the aircraft involved was Beech Duke, N82EC. It had flown from Saarbrucken and has visited Ronaldsway infrequently in the past.

pabely
20th Apr 2024, 10:15
From the picture that I have seen, the aircraft involved was Beech Duke, N82EC. It had flown from Saarbrucken and has visited Ronaldsway infrequently in the past.
Correct.
I must say we'll done on EZY who ran late shedules and extra flights today to get customers away today.