PDA

View Full Version : Southend-3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

DC3 Dave
11th Jan 2024, 16:29
6 weekly on a 738 seems like madness

Good grief, airport promoting a price drop already on Aeroitalia seats!

What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect?
What-a you t'ink you do, why you look-a so sad?
It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a place
Ah shaddap-a you face!

Sotonsean
11th Jan 2024, 21:38
What's-a matter you? Hey! Gotta no respect?
What-a you t'ink you do, why you look-a so sad?
It's-a not so bad, it's-a nice-a place
Ah shaddap-a you face!

I hope that he can relate to your rendition of the 1981 novelty song "Shaddap You Face" by the American/Italian singer Joe Dolce.

Barling Magna
12th Jan 2024, 10:02
Lots of Italians want to visit London, I'm sure.

Expressflight
12th Jan 2024, 13:28
Good grief, airport promoting a price drop already on Aeroitalia seats!

That was pre-planned I believe.

pabely
12th Jan 2024, 18:44
Lots of Italians want to visit London, I'm sure.
As Cirium notes, in January 2023 there are 813 options to travel from Milan to London. Let's hope there is space to accept another 24+

LTNman
17th Jan 2024, 20:39
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/24056183.southend-airport-easyjet-announcement-extra-flights/

Markushillman
17th Jan 2024, 21:30
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/24056183.southend-airport-easyjet-announcement-extra-flights/

Must have sold extremely well, good to see for the airport no matter how small of an increase

jmdavies86
23rd Jan 2024, 07:03
Further update on the legal action being taken by Carlyle Global Investment:

https://tools.eurolandir.com/tools/Pressreleases/GetPressRelease/?ID=4447233&lang=en-GB&companycode=uk-wpf&v=redesign

LSA has subsequently received notification that CGI is alleging a number of further breaches by LSA with respect to the convertible loan agreement and that CGI has issued an acceleration notice to LSA, demanding repayment of the loan in the amount of £193.75 million by 16 February 2024. The convertible loan has a maturity date of August 2028. There have been no payment defaults by LSA in relation to the convertible loan agreement and LSA cashflow has been in line with expectations. Esken and LSA are investigating the validity of the alleged breaches in conjunction with advisers.

LTNman
23rd Jan 2024, 08:14
Same story as above but with newspaper spin.
https://www.standard.co.uk/business/london-southend-airport-in-debt-crisis-as-lender-cgi-demands-repayment-b1134093.html

The future of Southend Airport has been plunged into uncertainty after its owner Esken faced demands to urgently repay a near £200-million loan, the firm warned today.

If unpaid, the convertible loan will turn into equity and could allow Carlyle to mount a takeover of the airport.

Seems to me that this is the plan

AirportPlanner1
23rd Jan 2024, 13:35
The airport newsletter says there is a one-off 4-day charter to Sønderborg in Denmark in August. Curiously it’s only bookable through an Isle of Man travel agent, assume perhaps there is some other inbound charter linked to it.

davidjohnson6
23rd Jan 2024, 14:00
Alsie Express every year does a few long weekend (3 or 4 days) one-off trips on an ATR 72 to various places from Sønderborg. It's a somewhat remote region of Denmark that is poorly linked to places outside Denmark. These long weekend trips tend to be quite imaginative - eg flying to Dijon and being taken round various Burgundy vineyards by the guy who owns the main wine shop in Sønderborg. Alsie Express' most recent long weekend to the UK was in November 2019 to Liverpool on the weekend that Liverpool hosted Manchester City who were at the time the top two teams in the Premier League. These trips usually (eventually) appear on the Alsie Express website as flight only if the travel agency is struggling to sell all the seats.

Sønderborg is a nice place to live, but of limited inbound tourist interest unless you have a strong Danish cultural background - I think they will struggle to sell many seats to UK originating pax, especially when Billund has multiple flights to London every day

https://londonsouthendairport.com/news/tour-operator-to-launch-holidays-from-london-southend-for-summer-24/

Small airline, small airport... but good

Expressflight
23rd Jan 2024, 16:22
Further update on the legal action being taken by Carlyle Global Investment:
https://tools.eurolandir.com/tools/Pressreleases/GetPressRelease/?ID=4447233&lang=en-GB&companycode=uk-wpf&v=redesign

Reuters this morning published this quote from Carlyle Global Infrastructure Fund (CGI):
"We have made numerous proposals to Esken and the airport to secure the airport's long-term future, and look forward to stable ownership of the airport by an experienced and financially strong entity."
Seems pretty clear to me.

Asturias56
24th Jan 2024, 08:23
thats why they're suing them for every penny - the Times reckons they want £ 193 million by February 16th or its curtains

Expressflight
24th Jan 2024, 15:21
Reuters this morning published this quote from Carlyle Global Infrastructure Fund (CGI):
"We have made numerous proposals to Esken and the airport to secure the airport's long-term future, and look forward to stable ownership of the airport by an experienced and financially strong entity."
Seems pretty clear to me.

Additional statement from Carlyle report in Evening Echo:

"Esken is financially distressed and not in a position to support the airport's full recovery and growth nor execute an orderly sale of the airport. As an experienced investor in, and operator of, airports around the world, Carlyle believes in, and is committed to, the future of Southend Airport and understands its importance to airlines, passengers, employees and the local community."

Barling Magna
24th Jan 2024, 16:00
Well that sounds good from Carlyle, but the proof will be in the pudding.

Certainly Stobart/Esken have made several mistakes in their time in management of SEN - making GA and aviation maintenance and support companies unwelcome, forcing JOTA away, refusing to allow BA to use their own ground handling staff and thus losing the weekend flights on offer among others - but they did invest a good deal in the airport and had several notable successes.

LTNman
24th Jan 2024, 16:10
A google of the company reveals they provide the money for airport infrastructure projects but don’t run airports, unless I haven’t dug deep enough.

SWBKCB
24th Jan 2024, 16:18
Well that sounds good from Carlyle, but the proof will be in the pudding.

Certainly Stobart/Esken have made several mistakes in their time in management of SEN - making GA and aviation maintenance and support companies unwelcome, forcing JOTA away, refusing to allow BA to use their own ground handling staff and thus losing the weekend flights on offer among others - but they did invest a good deal in the airport and had several notable successes.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I'd love to see a detailed report of their decline, but from the outside they seem to have sold the family silver and put the money on the wrong horse.

Expressflight
24th Jan 2024, 16:52
A google of the company reveals they provide the money for airport infrastructure projects but don’t run airports, unless I haven’t dug deep enough.

I'm sure Carlyle would not have used the words "As an experienced investor in, and operator of, airports around the world...." if that was untrue aren't you?

I think any acquisition of London Southend Airport would be via their Carlyle Airports Group division. I assume they would rely on the airport's local management to "run" the airport in the same way that other infrastructure investment companies such a Global Infrastructure Partners do.

pabely
24th Jan 2024, 17:38
I agree, do Carlyle actually run airports?
I think this is an exercise to get their money back. If the loan repayment defaults can they then sell on or get someone else to do the day to day operations?

Expressflight
24th Jan 2024, 17:50
I agree, do Carlyle actually run airports?
I think this is an exercise to get their money back. If the loan repayment defaults can they then sell on or get someone else to do the day to day operations?

Why then do they say they are an "operator of airports around the world"? Any airport management team obviously carries out the 'day to day operations' implementing the owner's policies.

Apparently there was a substantial item on ITV London News at 18:10 today suggesting that Carlyle will soon own LSA. Missed it myself.

LTNman
24th Jan 2024, 18:17
I can't find any evidence that they run a single airport in the world but they have financial stakes in many.

TartinTon
24th Jan 2024, 21:17
They also have Board experience of running airports which could help in at least seeing if an airport is worth investing in....

SWBKCB
24th Jan 2024, 21:30
So which airports are they involved in?

Anybody else hoping they buy Carlisle?! :ok:

jmdavies86
25th Jan 2024, 04:42
Anybody else hoping they buy Carlisle?! :ok:

There's a chance that CAX may well be sold: https://businesscrack.co.uk/2024/01/23/talks-underway-over-sale-of-carlisle-lake-district-airport/

I've heard rumours of who might be interested (see CAX thread for that...!), however​​​ it could just be an act of desperation/last chance saloon move by Esken to try and get whatever they possibly can for shareholders before Carlyle swoop in on SEN...?!

LTNman
25th Jan 2024, 05:11
Still can’t find a single airport that they run but I did find this
https://carlyle.aero

They are hard nosed money lenders who have loaned money to Southend’s owners and now they want their money back.

Carlyle Aviation Partners (Carlyle Aviation) has recently closed a $280 million pre-delivery payment (PDP) financing facility for Wizz Air. The PDP facility will partially finance Wizz Air’s PDP payment obligations in respect of several A321neo aircraft scheduled to deliver during 2023 and 2024
​​​​​​​

SWBKCB
25th Jan 2024, 06:57
There's a chance that CAX may well be sold: https://businesscrack.co.uk/2024/01/23/talks-underway-over-sale-of-carlisle-lake-district-airport/

I've heard rumours of who might be interested (see CAX thread for that...!), however​​​ it could just be an act of desperation/last chance saloon move by Esken to try and get whatever they possibly can for shareholders before Carlyle swoop in on SEN...?!

I just want Carlyle to buy Carlisle! :ok: Anything they get from Carlisle, Esken will just find a way of losing.

jmdavies86
5th Feb 2024, 09:49
Not sure that this says anything new really, but Esken have released a further RNS statement this morning regarding the legal action that CGI are apparently taking against London-Southend Airport (LSA):

LSA has concluded that there is no default or event of default which gives CGI a current right to accelerate the loan, make demand or take enforcement action pursuant to the convertible loan agreement. LSA has therefore disputed CGI's claimed acceleration and demand for early repayment. Esken fully supports LSA's position. As previously noted there have been no payment defaults by LSA in relation to the convertible loan agreement and LSA cashflow has been in line with expectations.

The uncertainty of the outcome of the above has led to progress on (i) the disposal of non-core assets; (ii) the potential £20 million funding facility from certain of Esken's larger Shareholders into Esken Aviation and (iii) the amendment and extension of the exchangeable bond, all as referred to in previous announcements, being disrupted significantly, with these transactions proceeding more slowly than anticipated and the terms for which may now be different than those which the Company was previously hoping to achieve.

Source: https://tools.eurolandir.com/tools/Pressreleases/GetPressRelease/?ID=4461235&lang=en-GB&companycode=uk-wpf&v=redesign

Expressflight
5th Feb 2024, 11:16
One thing that is new in the statement (that you didn't include in your post) is that Esken say:

"Esken will be submitting a proposal to CGI with a view to reaching a negotiated settlement of the claims and thus a lifting of the claimed acceleration and demand for early repayment."

I would have thought CGI held all the cards so, seeing as they say they have already made proposals to Esken which would resolve the situation, just what can Esken now propose that might be persuasive to CGI?

LTNman
11th Feb 2024, 11:03
https://www.ft.com/content/aa179561-47af-49de-93f8-edd2cf1c57d5

How a US buyout giant’s bet on an empty London airport turned sour
​​​​​​​

SWBKCB
11th Feb 2024, 12:33
There seems to be an issue with my FT subscription - can somebody give a precis?

Barling Magna
11th Feb 2024, 13:53
Under the loan agreement, Carlyle was supposed to approve capital expenditure by the company above a certain level, a person familiar with the terms said. After one outlay, the US investor deemed Esken to be in breach.

“There have been many repeated and continuing defaults of the convertible loan agreement by London Southend Airport since 2022,” Carlyle said. “Carlyle will take all necessary steps to vigorously defend its investment in light of the defaults that have occurred.”

Esken this week announced to the London Stock Exchange that it had investigated Carlyle’s claims and believed there had been no default.

Carlyle maintains it just wants to get its money back. “Carlyle has made numerous proposals to Esken and the airport to secure the airport’s long-term future, including up to £32mn of new funding,” the firm said.

For Esken, the airport remains the last remnant of an empire that once spanned haulage, energy and infrastructure. The company’s market capitalisation has shrivelled to £4.3mn. Another investment in Carlisle airport has also been battered by the pandemic. It plans to wind down and return money to shareholders after the airports are sold. Shearer said if he was able to do that, then he would look back on the chapter with “a degree of pride”.

“My sole objective is to make sure the airport doesn’t close. But if Carlyle decided to adopt a scorched earth policy, who knows what might happen?"

jmdavies86
11th Feb 2024, 15:18
“My sole objective is to make sure the airport doesn’t close. But if Carlyle decided to adopt a scorched earth policy, who knows what might happen?"

The airport wouldn't close (or could it?); if it did, how would that affect the new Aeroitalia and easyJet's operations from/to there...?!

Surely, when the courts make their ruling as to whether Esken must pay up for whatever breach(es) might have occurred within this loan agreement, if they can't make said payment then they'll have to go into administration and CGI will more than likely buy the airport from the administrators at a reduced price to what Esken/LSA are currently seeking for it, no?

Expressflight
11th Feb 2024, 15:28
Surely, when the courts make their ruling as to whether Esken must pay up for whatever breach(es) might have occurred within this loan agreement, if they can't make said payment then they'll have to go into administration and CGI will more than likely buy the airport from the administrators at a reduced price to what Esken/LSA are currently seeking for it, no?

That looks like sound reasoning to me, although I wouldn't be surprised to see a Pre-Pack deal put in place to take effect as soon as entering Administration became inevitable. If CGI just became a Creditor of an insolvent Esken they would be most unlikely to see repayment of their loan so would surely wish to avoid that situation.

jmdavies86
11th Feb 2024, 15:34
Yes, indeed, a pre-pack administration is probably the way it'll end up going - unless of course Esken decide to lodge an appeal to any forthcoming court ruling.

As I understand things, I believe CGI are expecting the loan to be repaid by/on 16th Feb, which is this coming Friday, so I guess we'll find out more in the coming few weeks.

A question of course is whether Carlisle Lake District Airport will be included (I'm assuming it will...?), although I appreciate that this should probably be discussed separately over on the CAX thread.

davidjohnson6
11th Feb 2024, 15:51
What on earth are Carlyle going to do with SEN once they (presumably) take ownership ? They just wanted to make money on the loan, not become a facilities management company with legal responsibility for niche specialities like ATC.

If a borrower defaults on their home mortgage, the lender will (eventually) repossess and sell the house at auction to recover the value of the mortgage loan. There's a ready, liquid and well established market allowing an efficient and quick auction. There isn't for airports. Furthermore, Carlyle can't just board it up and hire a few security guards - there are obligations about continuing to allow use by customers, which all comes at a cost.

jmdavies86
11th Feb 2024, 16:23
What on earth are Carlyle going to do with SEN once they (presumably) take ownership ?

Furthermore, Carlyle can't just board it up and hire a few security guards - there are obligations about continuing to allow use by customers, which all comes at a cost.

This is why I asked above - if it did close, how would that affect the new Aeroitalia and easyJet's operations from/to there...?!

I take it that if CGI were to takeover ownership, they'd have to honour any existing agreements that are in place with the airlines that currently serve the airport - if they're forced to cancel flights & rebook all the passengers onto flights from other nearby airports at short notice, the airlines won't be best pleased and will likely want to make a claim against CGI for a breach[es] of contract...?!

I believe the freehold of the site is owned by Southend-on-Sea City Council and it's on a long-lease agreement to Esken, so CGI will effectively inherit that and will then need to decide whether to try and renegotiate the terms of said agreement with the Council - same applies to CAX too as the freehold is owned by Cumberland Council.

Expressflight
11th Feb 2024, 18:20
If CGI did buy LSA (and I'm sure that is by no means the only possible outcome at this stage) they have to operate it as an airport. It's not as if they would be acquiring a freehold site for other potential uses. I'm sure they would take all steps to ensure 'operations as usual' and a seamless take-over.

As the purchase cost to them would probably be well below its potential value outside of a 'fire sale', it might make an attractive proposition with the opportunity to turn a good profit on the deal in a few years time.

davidjohnson6
11th Feb 2024, 18:29
If CGI did buy LSA (and I'm sure that is by no means the only possible outcome at this stage) they have to operate it as an airport. It's not as if they would be acquiring a freehold site for other potential uses. I'm sure they would take all steps to ensure 'operations as usual' and a seamless take-over.

As the purchase cost to them would probably be well below its potential value outside of a 'fire sale', it might make an attractive proposition with the opportunity to turn a good profit on the deal in a few years time.
Why should we be certain that Carlyle will operate SEN on a flights-as-usual basis for a few years unless they absolutely have to ? See Peel at Doncaster-Sheffield.
Southend council will need to be extremely strict to keep flights going. I'm sure housebuilders will soon be in touch to ask about Carlyle's plans

Expressflight
11th Feb 2024, 18:52
Southend council will need to be extremely strict to keep flights going. I'm sure housebuilders will soon be in touch to ask about Carlyle's plans
Won't do them any good as the Lease stipulated the site must be operated as an airport and SCC are very keen to keep it as such so no possibility of housebuilding.

DC3 Dave
11th Feb 2024, 18:56
Why should we be certain that Carlyle will operate SEN on a flights-as-usual basis for a few years unless they absolutely have to ? See Peel at Doncaster-Sheffield.

Perhaps they already have a buyer lined up for the airport if they end up with it. Someone they would feel confident doing business with.

pabely
11th Feb 2024, 20:00
I do hope so otherwise a loose, loose situation.

DC3 Dave
16th Feb 2024, 11:08
So today is the day Carlyle require repayment of nearly 200 million from Esken. Any news from anywhere?

LTNman
16th Feb 2024, 11:23
I suppose this could be the eventual outcome.

https://i.postimg.cc/yWqLrCss/notice.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

davidjohnson6
16th Feb 2024, 12:34
Most loan agreements between companies will have a technical grace period of a few days somewhere in the legal agreement. This is to allow for something unexpected and out of the borrower's control that prevents payment being made on the right day - e.g. their bank has a computer systems failure (yes, it does occasionally happen). A lender can send a formal notice of technical default, but there's very little a lender can really do until the technical grace period has expired. I'd expect to wait at least a few days or a week before there are any real fireworks

davidjohnson6
16th Feb 2024, 20:59
Aeroitalia at Heathrow did not go well. Are we sure it's going to work at Southend ?
Aeroitalia website shows the Southend - Bergamo route starting on 25 March 2024 and ending on 29 March 2024. As an aside, Aeroitalia has cut a few Italian domestic routes for dates after 30 March from their website today
Is this anything to worry about from a Southend perspective ?

FRatSTN
17th Feb 2024, 05:35
Aeroitalia website shows the Southend - Bergamo route starting on 25 March 2024 and ending on 29 March 2024. As an aside, Aeroitalia has cut a few Italian domestic routes for dates after 30 March from their website today
Is this anything to worry about from a Southend perspective ?

Maybe they're just redistributing slots as the IATA Summer 24 schedule begins on 31st March and halted sales in the process. Time will tell I suppose.

Expressflight
17th Feb 2024, 08:31
Aeroitalia tell me it's "an error in loading, please wait and try again".

Markushillman
17th Feb 2024, 09:54
Aeroitalia tell me it's "an error in loading, please wait and try again".

All back to normal..........for now ;)

Expressflight
19th Feb 2024, 06:44
So today is the day Carlyle require repayment of nearly 200 million from Esken. Any news from anywhere?
Things are moving this morning.

Carlyle has proposed, and Esken are considering, a restructuring plan for London Southend Airport Ltd. that would recapitalise the company. There is a deadline of 4th March 2024 for Esken to agree to this. The result would be that Esken's shareholding in LSA would be considerably reduced to a minority holding. Carlyle and Cyrus Capital Partners would fund the plan to secure the future of LSA.

The London Stock Exchange has this morning issued an RNS announcing this proposal. This proposal puts on hold of course the demand for immediate repayment of Carlyle's loan.

DC3 Dave
19th Feb 2024, 07:58
I would just add that, “Esken believes that a consensual outcome would be in the interests of all parties and will take all reasonable steps to facilitate such an outcome.”

jmdavies86
19th Feb 2024, 07:59
The result would be that Esken's shareholding in LSA would be considerably reduced to a minority holding. Carlyle and Cyrus Capital Partners would fund the plan to secure the future of LSA.

Well, neither option is particularly pretty for existing Esken shareholders, however allowing Carlyle & Cyrus to recapitalise and restructure LSA by reducing down to a minority holding is obviously the lesser of the two evils compared to facing a potentially protracted legal battle and then them having to stump up £193m, which they clearly don't have readily available because they've effectively bet on the successful sale of SEN in order to pay back said loan.

Seeing as Esken's financial year is coming up at the end of this month (28th Feb, I believe?!), I wonder if they'll likely announce acceptance of this deal as early as next week.

The uncertainty that CGI's demand for repayment by LSA has created, has stalled any progress on (i) the disposal of non-core assets...

Source: https://tools.eurolandir.com/tools/Pressreleases/GetPressRelease/?ID=4466979&lang=en-GB&companycode=uk-wpf&v=redesign

I wonder how, if at all, this affects the talks that were supposedly happening regarding the sale of Carlisle Lake District Airport (CAX) - I suspect that my hunch of there not actually being a potential buyer may well be true, however I'm more than happy to be corrected.

LGS6753
20th Feb 2024, 10:07
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/19/us-private-equity-giant-take-control-southend-airport/?WT.mc_id=e_DM280927&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Cit_New_v2&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Cit_New_v220240220&utm_campaign=DM280927#comment

GayFriendly
21st Feb 2024, 21:47
Just been booking flights on the FR app and have noticed London Southend in the drop down menu with destinations Bilbao and Brest but no flights loaded. Very odd, as none of these airports have any other FR routes, is it something sport event related for later in the year?

jmdavies86
21st Feb 2024, 22:11
Just been booking flights on the FR app and have noticed London Southend in the drop down menu with destinations Bilbao and Brest but no flights loaded. Very odd, as none of these airports have any other FR routes, is it something sport event related for later in the year?

Nothing for London-Southend shows up on their website at all.

Might it just be to test the functionality of the app so as to not cause issues with existing flights, or are we perhaps likely to hear/see an announcement of FR coming to SEN soon after Esken have decided whether to accept the deal that's been proposed to them by CGI...?!

As you say, it's very odd.

FRatSTN
22nd Feb 2024, 00:01

They've been sat there since they pulled out in 2021. Not sure why they never removed those two routes but they only show in the app and not the website. Given they no longer fly to Southend, Bilbao or Brest in any capacity maybe they've just kept them there as a perception they serve more airports. This is Ryanair mentality after all.

DC3 Dave
22nd Feb 2024, 07:27
My unreliable source advises me that one end of a MAGlev railway will be housed in the STN extension and will provide a shuttle service between there and SEN, the latter to become London Stansted South(end) Terminal.

This will bring many benefits including the return of Ryanair and probably explains why SEN still features on their app.

Markushillman
22nd Feb 2024, 07:33
My unreliable source advises me that one end of a MAGlev railway will be housed in the STN extension and will provide a shuttle service between there and SEN, the latter to become London Stansted South(end) Terminal.

This will bring many benefits including the return of Ryanair and probably explains why SEN still features on their app.

Southend features on their app because someone hasn't bothered to remove it. No more no less

pabely
23rd Feb 2024, 23:25
Looking at Aeroitalia Web site tonight and London Southend no longer appears - Oops!

jmdavies86
24th Feb 2024, 02:45
Looking at Aeroitalia Web site tonight and London Southend no longer appears - Oops!

To be fair, that doesn't necessarily mean the loss is due to the fault of SEN - although I'm sure the uncertainty of the ongoing situation with CGI may well be a contributing factor.

London to Milan is a very popular route and competition is high. Perhaps the BGY-SEN route simply hasn't sold as well as they initially had hoped/thought it would and therefore Aeroitalia have decided to withdraw it before it even begins, which does happen from time to time - there's no point in an airline attempting to start a route and accrue huge losses for the sake of it.

Also, they've just re-appointed their former CCO, Krassimir Tanev, last month, so perhaps he's already decided to make a few changes...?

I do feel for any passenger(s) that may have decided to book with them and are due to fly soon as Aeroitalia don't serve any other UK airport so they may well now be left in a situation where they've got to find alternative flights at short notice, which could be more expensive than what they've paid; I hope that Aeroitalia are prompt in making any refunds.

Charlie98
24th Feb 2024, 06:44
I do feel for any passenger(s) that may have decided to book with them and are due to fly soon as Aeroitalia don't serve any other UK airport so they may well now be left in a situation where they've got to find alternative flights at short notice, which could be more expensive than what they've paid; I hope that Aeroitalia are prompt in making any refunds.

Just to note incase anyone reads this who is in that situation. Aeroitalia is responsible to get you there and will have to pay for the alternative travel under EU261. They shouldn’t be out of pocket.

DC3 Dave
24th Feb 2024, 07:01
To be honest, I looked at a few flights around a week ago and none of them had sold more than a dozen seats.

Milan no longer on airport website.

There will be no compensation. Airline has given required notice of cancellation.

AirportPlanner1
24th Feb 2024, 07:15
It’s removed from the SEN website so that’s pretty conclusive. It will have zero to do with the airport’s uncertainties and everything to do with a lowest base fare with special discount excluding bags etc of £70 one way when Ryanair is routinely £20-50ish.

An unreliable airline as can be seen from their chopping and changing.

Charlie98
24th Feb 2024, 07:50
There will be no compensation. Airline has given required notice of cancellation.

it isn't compensation.. it’s rerouting.

rog747
24th Feb 2024, 08:07
it isn't compensation.. it’s rerouting.
If you received seven to 14 days' notice of the cancellation, you will get a full refund,

or a new flight, and may be able to claim compensation based on the costs and timings of finding an alternative flight.
good luck with that though....

Markushillman
24th Feb 2024, 08:43
Quite frankly you could of probably have put your house on the flights never taking off.

Probably best to try and grow the partnership with easyjet at present.

mudcity
29th Feb 2024, 08:22
Any news on the proposed agreement between Esken and Carlyle group ?

LTNman
29th Feb 2024, 17:44
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/24153782.southend-airport-eyeballing-flights-scottish-city/

Markushillman
29th Feb 2024, 17:55
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/24153782.southend-airport-eyeballing-flights-scottish-city/

As I said before Easyjet will be the airports best bet if they want a route like that.

DC3 Dave
29th Feb 2024, 18:15
EDI-SEN-JER-SEN-EDI

I'd love to see that.

Jinx01
29th Feb 2024, 18:59
EDI-SEN-JER-SEN-EDI

I'd love to see that.

I believe they may already have JER covered ...

But EDI-SEN-IBZ-SEN-EDI would be appreciated!

SKOJB
29th Feb 2024, 20:27
Must be true as they are ‘eyeballing’ a Scottish route!

AirportPlanner1
29th Feb 2024, 21:30
Weekends were strong last time but midweek not so good. Some services had very poor loads where they had early departures or late arrivals which missed first/last trains. In theory a non-based unit should be more consistent and have greater success.

DC3 Dave
1st Mar 2024, 08:21
Weekends were strong last time but midweek not so good. Some services had very poor loads where they had early departures or late arrivals which missed first/last trains. In theory a non-based unit should be more consistent and have greater success.

How you describe it is how I remember the route now - it was quite a few years ago. The airport claim 6,000 a month used the service, I’m dubious about that. Loganair were planning to add the route at one stage to their others but the relationship with SEN crumbled before it happened.

Sharklet_321
1st Mar 2024, 08:28
A low cost carrier could make the EDI-SEN route work especially given the extortionate fares at LCY

SouthernAlliance
1st Mar 2024, 08:59
What makes you think domestics will work now when they have failed every time previous. Ryanair, Stobart/BE all had a go and ditched them promptly. High frequency and much choice from STN, LCY and LTN is the reason that SEN will only ever primarily be for sun and beach!

jmdavies86
3rd Mar 2024, 16:02
Any news on the proposed agreement between Esken and Carlyle group ?

According to the stock exchange announcement that Esken made on 19th Feb...

In order for the recapitalisation proposal to proceed on a consensual basis, Esken and its wholly owned subsidiary Esken Aviation Limited ("EAL") (as the parent and intermediate holding company to LSA) would have to accede to this proposal by 4 March 2024.

Source: https://tools.eurolandir.com/tools/Pressreleases/GetPressRelease/?ID=4466979&lang=en-GB&companycode=uk-wpf&v=redesign

I guess we'll find out at approx 0700 tomorrow morning if/when they file another RNS Statement to know more.

LTNman
4th Mar 2024, 18:04
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/24159735.easyjet-increases-flights-southend-airport-summer/

FLIGHTS from Southend (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport to two European cities have been increased this summer, bosses have announced.

toon22
4th Mar 2024, 20:33
In the same article covering the increase in flights to Paris and Palma is a link to a story which confirms Milan flights have been cancelled even before the first flight has operated. How could Aeroitalia have hoped to compete on London-Milan with Southend as the only USP?Shows what an uphill, struggle the airport faces.

LTNman
4th Mar 2024, 20:54
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/24161937.southend-airport-hope-easyjet-base-re-open-growing/

CONFIDENCE is growing that budget airline easyJet could re-open its base at Southend (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport after extra flights were added to two popular destinations throughout the summer season.

DC3 Dave
5th Mar 2024, 05:50
In the same article covering the increase in flights to Paris and Palma is a link to a story which confirms Milan flights have been cancelled even before the first flight has operated. How could Aeroitalia have hoped to compete on London-Milan with Southend as the only USP?Shows what an uphill, struggle the airport faces.

An uphill struggle indeed. But can anyone tell me if the result would have been different if the same flights at the same price had been offered at GTW, STN or LTN?

DC3 Dave
5th Mar 2024, 06:07
According to the stock exchange announcement that Esken made on 19th Feb...

I guess we'll find out at approx 0700 tomorrow morning if/when they file another RNS Statement to know more.

An extension has been agreed to allow negotiations to continue.

sewushr
5th Mar 2024, 06:27
An uphill struggle indeed. But can anyone tell me if the result would have been different if the same flights at the same price had been offered at GTW, STN or LTN?
AeroItalia's scheduled flights to Heathrow lasted less than a month. In their relatively short existence, they have changed bases, strategy and routes countless times, usually blaming others when things haven't worked out. I wouldn't necessarily blame Southend for the cancellation of the Milan route, rather it was another hare-brained idea by the operator!

Expressflight
5th Mar 2024, 06:47
An extension has been agreed to allow negotiations to continue.

The announcement by the news service of the London Stock Exchange this morning says that:

"this extension (to the original agreed date for Esken to agree Carlyle's terms, 5th March 2024) has been agreed in order that the parties may continue further negotiations on the terms of Esken's potential accession to the proposal. The Company will provide a further update on the outcome of these negotiations when concluded."

To me that sounds rather like Esken cannot find any alternative to agreeing the proposal but are trying to get the best terms possible for their shareholders. I have no inside information on any of this, just my thoughts on the matter.

LTNman
5th Mar 2024, 14:58
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/24162602.southend-airport-announce-increased-easyjet-flights/

SOUTHEND (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport has announced increased flights to a third European destination for a second day running

AirportPlanner1
5th Mar 2024, 16:05
Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but Winter 24/25 is on sale for November only, fairly identical to this year. 4 x AMS and 4x CDG. ALC isn’t on sale but two of the AMS arrive at lunch and leave in the evening so it’s surely coming soon.

jmdavies86
6th Mar 2024, 07:24
New RNS issued this morning - deal with CGI & Cyrus agreed.

As a result, the Company has agreed to accede to that recapitalisation proposal in relation to LSA. This will therefore proceed on a consensual basis, rather than through a contested court process, which could be potentially destructive for all stakeholders. The terms of the recapitalisation proposal for LSA involves a conversion of the convertible loan of £193.75 million due to CGI into an 82.5% stake in LSA and a similar conversion of the £24.3 million debt due by LSA to Esken Aviation Limited ("EAL"), a wholly owned subsidiary of the Company, into a 17.5% stake. Funding of the proposal agreed with the board of LSA includes an initial £5 million of short-term unsecured bridge funding to the airport through to the conclusion of the process as part of a commitment of £32 million of new funding to secure the future growth of the airport.

Source:https://tools.eurolandir.com/tools/Pressreleases/GetPressRelease/?ID=4474988&lang=en-GB&companycode=uk-wpf&v=redesign

Expressflight
6th Mar 2024, 07:26
Esken has agreed the deal negotiated between LSA and Carlyle Global Investments (CGI). CGI will own 82.5% of the equity of LSA in place of the outstanding £193.75m convertible loan. The £24.3m debt owed by LSA to Esken Aviation Ltd. will convert to a 17.5% equity stake. Also £5m of bridging funding will go to support the airport during the completion of this process and that will be part of the £32m additional working capital to be made available to LSA to secure the future growth of the airport.
Edit: P.S. Beat me by two minutes jmdavies86.

DC3 Dave
6th Mar 2024, 07:55
So it is settled. We can only hope stability allows the airport to - if you will forgive me - take off once more and cease to be stuck in a persistent jam tomorrow existence.

A good time as well to look around the airport and acknowledge the incredible transformation under Stobart in the last sixteen years: the runway, terminal, tower, railway station, car parks, taxiways and more. Without them - whether it was good business or not - where exactly would the airport be today.

LTNman
6th Mar 2024, 11:33
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/06/us-firm-carlyle-take-control-london-southend-airport-debt-deal-private-equity

Southend airport is to pass into the control of the US private-equity group Carlyle after an agreement to settle a debt, in the latest takeover of a UK firm by a foreign company.
​​​​​​​

jmdavies86
6th Mar 2024, 11:40
Not strictly SEN-related, but I wonder how this deal affects Carlisle Lake District Airport (CAX), if at all...?!

Two points of note in the latest RNS...

"Cyrus will provide liquidity to the Esken group to meet its working capital needs during this process and to allow an orderly wind down of the remaining group.

...its intention to (i) dispose of certain non-core assets for a consideration of £8.5 million...all progress was stopped in light of recent events..."

By 'orderly wind down of the remaining group', am I right to assume that this means the complete closure of the CAX if no buyer can be found, as talks with the potential buyer were stopped in light of the deal between Esken, CGI & Cyrus...?!

I was up in Cumbria last week, but nobody seemed to know anything and/or were willing to even talk about it...?!

Buster the Bear
6th Mar 2024, 16:00
You have got to feel for Esken shareholders! From £1.62, to less than 8p per share.

I wonder how many houses you could build? Nice station for the new residents to commute from too. Terminal would make for a community facility. With private equity and venture capital in control, anything is possible, unless there is some covenant keeping an airport open?

Expressflight
6th Mar 2024, 16:24
You have got to feel for Esken shareholders! From £1.62, to less than 8p per share.

I wonder how many houses you could build? Nice station for the new residents to commute from too. Terminal would make for a community facility. With private equity and venture capital in control, anything is possible, unless there is some covenant keeping an airport open?

Southend City Council own the land and London Southend Airport Ltd hold a very long Lease. The terms of the Lease oblige the Leaseholder to operate the site as an airport.

jmdavies86
6th Mar 2024, 16:41

I do wonder what state Esken may have been in today had they not chosen to oust Andrew Tinkler as their CEO - he was instrumental in leading Stobart’s transformation into a FTSE 250 listed business with a turnover of £1.6bn and 10,000 employees.

Interestingly, at an event in Carlisle last year, he said ‘I don’t think Stobart Group will last much longer’ (https://cumbriacrack.com/2023/03/30/i-dont-think-stobart-group-will-last-much-longer-andrew-tinklers-verdict-on-his-former-firm/), and just under 12 months later, they're in the position they find themselves in today...?!

DC3 Dave
6th Mar 2024, 17:07

You say anything is possible but it would not be easy. They could of course allow the airport to fall into a state of disrepair and wind all operations down. The council, who actually have a huge area earmarked for housing to the east of the airport, and under no real pressure to find another area soon, might eventually succumb to pressure from Carlyle rather than end up with a derelict site, but just how many years or decades would that take?

Alternatively they could use their financial strength and management expertise to make a real success of the airport and take their rewards at a time of their choosing. Seems a better option to me.

LTNman
6th Mar 2024, 18:14
They could of course allow the airport to fall into a state of disrepair and wind all operations down.

That would probably save them money.

​​​​​​​Alternatively they could use their financial strength and management expertise to make a real success of the airport and take their rewards at a time of their choosing.

More of the same then?

SWBKCB
6th Mar 2024, 19:37
Not strictly SEN-related, but I wonder how this deal affects Carlisle Lake District Airport (CAX), if at all...?!

I was up in Cumbria last week, but nobody seemed to know anything and/or were willing to even talk about it...?!

I doubt anybody there knows anything

I wonder how many houses you could build?

What was the last airport turned into housing - Croydon?

pabely
6th Mar 2024, 20:05
What was the last airport turned into housing - Croydon?
Filton, Hatfield, unless you mean commercial airports.
Plenty of old RAF examples as well.

SWBKCB
6th Mar 2024, 20:29
Filton, Hatfield, unless you mean commercial airports.
Plenty of old RAF examples as well.

Yes, airports, not airfields.

Whaupshank
6th Mar 2024, 20:31

Buster I'm afraid your Maths are way out. The Shares were available to buy this morning at around 20 for 1 Pence or 50000 for £25. At one stage the Shares touched just under £3 but there were less Shares in issue then.

Expressflight
7th Mar 2024, 06:48
I think the LTN boys on here are whistling in the wind.

I don't see Carlyle wanting to do anything other than use their funding to attract new carriers and to encourage EZY to re-open their SEN base as quickly as possible, although I'm a bit concerned regarding the shortage of airframes that the locos are suffering currently. If Carlyle can rebuild passenger numbers and revenue in this way they probably have an exit strategy in a few years. They may also have ideas on how to attract ancillary activities at SEN, to add value to the site, that have withered on the vine over the last decade or so.

LTNman
7th Mar 2024, 07:38
Except Carlyle don’t run or operate any airports, they are money lenders to companies that do run and operate airports, as part of their investment portfolio. I expect them to offload Southend, as the airport will be valued at a price higher than the loans.

Expressflight
7th Mar 2024, 08:07
Except Carlyle don’t run or operate any airports, they are money lenders to companies that do run and operate airports, as part of their investment portfolio. I expect them to offload Southend, as the airport will be valued at a price higher than the loans.

As I said "they probably have an exit strategy in a few years" but I'm sure before they do that they'll want to increase its potential sale value to considerably above what it is at present.

LTNman
7th Mar 2024, 08:10
Will Esken run the airport on their behalf or will they be kicked out? If they are kicked out I suspect Carlyle will bring in another company for the day to day running.

DC3 Dave
7th Mar 2024, 08:11

Indeed. Carlyle may already have a buyer lined up for all we know but if that is the case it changes little. Anyone investing will need to believe they can make a success of Southend as an airport. Esken, for all their good intentions had simply run out of runway - so to speak.

I see no reason for anything other than cautious optimism right now, the future is bright and possibly orange.

MidlandsWanderer
7th Mar 2024, 09:38
Will Esken run the airport on their behalf or will they be kicked out? If they are kicked out I suspect Carlyle will bring in another company for the day to day running.

Esken is now a defunct company with no assets. They will be wound up.

jmdavies86
7th Mar 2024, 10:51
I doubt anybody there knows anything

Well, I'm in regular contact with a couple of the tenants up at CAX, they've said that the level of communication between Esken and them has been very little to nothing at all - they haven't even been told who the prospective buyer is(was) that was reported on publicly a few weeks back - yet members of the Council, the LEP & the local MP have all apparently been briefed - surely Esken must have a duty to keep their tenants properly informed of what's going on, no...?!

I don't see Carlyle wanting to do anything other than use their funding to attract new carriers and to encourage EZY to re-open their SEN base as quickly as possible...

I see no reason for anything other than cautious optimism right now, the future is bright and possibly orange.

True, the increase in flights by easyJet is certainly positive/welcomed news, and as Expressflight says above, I'm sure CGI's first priority will be to encourage them to re-open their SEN base as soon as possible.

That said, we all know that an airport cannot survive solely with just one carrier, so it will be interesting to see how/what they do differently to Esken to attract any new carrier(s).

Expressflight
7th Mar 2024, 11:05

As far as the commercial and operational aspects of running SEN are concerned the existing management team employed by London Southend Airport Ltd. will continue to "run the airport". As majority shareholder of LSA Carlyle will supply funding and instruct the management which paths to follow to make best use of that funding in order to achieve Carlyle's vision for SEN.

SWBKCB
7th Mar 2024, 11:49
Well, I'm in regular contact with a couple of the tenants up at CAX, they've said that the level of communication between Esken and them has been very little to nothing at all - they haven't even been told who the prospective buyer is(was) that was reported on publicly a few weeks back - yet members of the Council, the LEP & the local MP have all apparently been briefed - surely Esken must have a duty to keep their tenants properly informed of what's going on, no...?!

Do they? These are the people who told the tenants the runway would be closed for re-surfacing from Monday on the Friday afternoon....

pabely
7th Mar 2024, 11:56
That said, we all know that an airport cannot survive solely with just one carrier, so it will be interesting to see how/what they do differently to Esken to attract any new carrier(s).
Exactly, what pipeline of contacts do they have within the Industry? I suspect this will be a totally new ballgame for them with the LCCs having the upper hand to demand zero cost or incentives which does little on ROI for investors.

DC3 Dave
7th Mar 2024, 12:09
Exactly, what pipeline of contacts do they have within the Industry? I suspect this will be a totally new ballgame for them with the LCCs having the upper hand to demand zero cost or incentives which does little on ROI for investors.

Fair enough. You have convinced me. I am going to write to all concerned and tell them they are all a.holes who do not have a clue what they are doing and advise them to send the wrecking ball crew in.

Expressflight
7th Mar 2024, 12:11

The route development team at SEN are very experienced and have no shortage of contacts in appropriate places. They will know exactly what they are going into when starting (continuing?) negotiations with the appropriate LCCs and I'm sure they are relishing the prospect. I know I would be.

LTNman
7th Mar 2024, 12:43
I assume one of the first changes will be an external FBO will be tendered, as Southend always under achieved with in-house handling.

Andy_S
7th Mar 2024, 13:34
I do wonder what state Esken may have been in today had they not chosen to oust Andrew Tinkler as their CEO - he was instrumental in leading Stobart’s transformation into a FTSE 250 listed business with a turnover of £1.6bn and 10,000 employees.

Putting aside the fact that the Pandemic would have happened with or without Tinkler, there are some who thought he was part of the problem rather than the solution. After all, there must have been a reason he was ousted.......

Yes, he talked a good talk, but I got the feeling he ran Stobart like a personal fiefdom rather than a quoted company, and it's not clear what, if any, shareholder value was created.

LTNman
7th Mar 2024, 13:48
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/24167881.southend-airport-carlyle-control-bring-new-airlines/

A RESCUE deal has been agreed for Southend (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport which could pave the way for new airlines and passenger numbers soaring to six million a year.
​​​​​​​

“Getting Wizz or someone to base three or four aircraft there would not solve the issues overnight.

“One issue is whether it’s simply a marketing issue with the airport failing to make its case to the London catchment area and the airlines.”

SWBKCB
7th Mar 2024, 13:58
Putting aside the fact that the Pandemic would have happened with or without Tinkler, there are some who thought he was part of the problem rather than the solution. After all, there must have been a reason he was ousted.......

Yes, he talked a good talk, but I got the feeling he ran Stobart like a personal fiefdom rather than a quoted company, and it's not clear what, if any, shareholder value was created.

Cos it's all gone so well since he left...

DC3 Dave
7th Mar 2024, 14:06

From memory Warwick Brady was appointed CEO of Stobart all the way back in 2017.

Andy_S
7th Mar 2024, 14:23
Cos it's all gone so well since he left...

As I said, there was a pandemic which would have happened whoever was in charge. That eliminated SENs USP at a stroke.

You can speculate all day long about what may have happened if he had stayed. We'll never know. I would only add that it's easy to be impressed by what you see on the surface; new terminal, dedicated railway station, based aircraft. That doesn't necessarily mean the underlying business was healthy or well run.

Andy_S
7th Mar 2024, 14:28
From memory Warwick Brady was appointed CEO of Stobart all the way back in 2017.

Fair comment. But even if Tinkler had remained, the pandemic would still have happened. Would SEN have fared any better?

SWBKCB
7th Mar 2024, 14:35
From the outside, it looks like Esken sold off all their sustainable businesses and stuck it all on SEN. That would seem to be a strategic error which has killed the business.

DC3 Dave
7th Mar 2024, 14:47
Fair comment. But even if Tinkler had remained, the pandemic would still have happened. Would SEN have fared any better?

We can agree that we will never know. I would only add that the airport was only a part of the Stobart Group and there were events such as the ill conceived purchase of Flybe with Virgin and Cyrus that weakened the company to such an extent that the commercial damage from the pandemic could not be recovered from using their own resources. I guess some credit should be given to Esken for keeping the airport limping along the best they could after that.

Expressflight
7th Mar 2024, 17:42
Actually Andrew Tinkler deserves a lot of credit for his purchase of SEN in the first place and his vision to turn it into a modern airport which scored highly in passenger satisfaction surveys. He also oversaw the runway being developed to its maximum potential within its physical constraints. Without that there would be no chance of it perhaps regaining a respectable position among the London airports in terms of commercial success, as now seems at least a possibility.

Lord Gumboil Jnr.
7th Mar 2024, 18:53
As far as I recall, it was Warwick Brady who was a major driving force behind committing so much finance into the acquisition of Flybe 2.

SKOJB
7th Mar 2024, 19:23
An aviation lecturer believes there is an opportunity for the airport to handle 6m pax a year, righty ho then! :ok:

asdf1234
7th Mar 2024, 19:32
I think certain posters on here need to be reminded that pre-pandemic SEN was losing money despite good pax numbers. LCCs were using SEN because it was cheap to use. That benefitted the LCCs and not SEN.

The only hope for the airport going forward is a good mix of scheduled, charter, GA, cargo and biz-jets. Build suitable facilities for each sector, rent at attractive terms and be a landlord not a competitor to the tenants. Finally understand the runway limitations and target near Europe destinations utilising regional turboprops/small jetliners. The big London airports can concentrate on the 156+ pax market.

pabely
7th Mar 2024, 20:21
I assume one of the first changes will be an external FBO will be tendered, as Southend always under achieved with in-house handling.
I have said this before. Picking up crumbs in the Summer when Luton & Stansted have night time restrictions cannot be lived upon.
New facilities are needed to tempt new tenants but I don't see any likely commitment on that front. Just look what has been invested at Oxford, Biggin & Farnborough.
The 727s live in / outside a facility unfit for purpose, Air Livery could quite easily close and work go to Norwich.
The LCCs will screw you, don't see Easyjet currently looking at a new base, Ryanair will want to be paid to come back. Wizzair cannot keep the current operation going due to Airbus engine issues.
I would love to be proved wrong but this time next year, I see alot of the cash being burnt through without significant gain in passenger services. The passenger terminal being restricted hours is an inefficient cost burden along with fire cover.
The $B investment company will want a return - trouble is I don't see it currently.
Glad to be corrected.......

Expressflight
8th Mar 2024, 06:54
As far as I recall, it was Warwick Brady who was a major driving force behind committing so much finance into the acquisition of Flybe 2.

I was talking about the period from December 2008 through to when Brady arrived. He just got carried away with his vision for SEN.

SWBKCB
8th Mar 2024, 07:01
Finally understand the runway limitations and target near Europe destinations utilising regional turboprops/small jetliners.

Operated by whom? From memory, this was part of the original business case but many of these operators have disappeared now, with most regional flying now being 'franchise' operations of the major airlines feeding hubs.

We now seem to be back in the position where it is a bet on the other London airports filling up and SEN picking up the overflow. Looks like a long game, with deep pockets and a strong nerve needed.

DC3 Dave
8th Mar 2024, 07:10
I was talking about the period from December 2008 through to when Brady arrived. He just got carried away with his vision for SEN.

You may recall it coming to light that Brady was on a potential 30 million bonus if Stobart met the top end of targets much of which was based on success at SEN. This came to light back in 2019 and led to threatened strike action at the airport by a disgruntled workforce.

The figure of 30 million was published by the serious press at the time so I have assumed it was correct.

To be fair to Mr Brady, if I was on one tenth of that incentive I would get carried away as well.

Markushillman
8th Mar 2024, 07:27
I have said this before. Picking up crumbs in the Summer when Luton & Stansted have night time restrictions cannot be lived upon.
New facilities are needed to tempt new tenants but I don't see any likely commitment on that front. Just look what has been invested at Oxford, Biggin & Farnborough.
The 727s live in / outside a facility unfit for purpose, Air Livery could quite easily close and work go to Norwich.
The LCCs will screw you, don't see Easyjet currently looking at a new base, Ryanair will want to be paid to come back. Wizzair cannot keep the current operation going due to Airbus engine issues.
I would love to be proved wrong but this time next year, I see alot of the cash being burnt through without significant gain in passenger services. The passenger terminal being restricted hours is an inefficient cost burden along with fire cover.
The $B investment company will want a return - trouble is I don't see it currently.
Glad to be corrected.......

Do believe Air Livery are hoping one day to have a 5 hanger facility built on the North Side of Norwich Airport at the planned aeropark which will handle all their narrow body work and hence make Southend redundant.

Expressflight
8th Mar 2024, 07:39
Do believe Air Livery are hoping one day to have a 5 hanger facility built on the North Side of Norwich Airport at the planned aeropark which will handle all their narrow body work and hence make Southend redundant.

That hangar could then perhaps have an engineering use - probably of more benefit to SEN in fact.

pabely
8th Mar 2024, 11:53
That hangar could then perhaps have an engineering use - probably of more benefit to SEN in fact.
But for whom? Only thing which comes to mind is Titan as the Northside at Stansted becomes smaller. Would the new kids in town flatten everything and building something modern for good tenants?

DC3 Dave
16th Mar 2024, 10:45
I see the Navigator Pub and the Skylife Lounge will reopen in May (part time). I am a little surprised at this given that they are not in themselves an incentive to use the airport.

Perhaps there is announcement or two to come soon that could explain this decision.

Expressflight
17th Mar 2024, 09:05
I see the Navigator Pub and the Skylife Lounge will reopen in May (part time). I am a little surprised at this given that they are not in themselves an incentive to use the airport.
Perhaps there is announcement or two to come soon that could explain this decision.

The days of opening planned for the Skylife Lounge and Navigator are Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday "afternoons". I think it's simply the fact that (for June departures as an example) of the 26 weekly EZY SEN departures only 5 are not on those days and 16 of the 21 departures on those days are after 1300. I assume that "afternoons" will include the evening departures as well otherwise it would surely not be economic to open at all.

Expressflight
21st Mar 2024, 09:38
Esken are this morning appointing Administrators and trading in their shares has been suspended on the Stock Exchange. Apparently being a Guernsey registered company their planned restructuring was not possible under that jurisdiction.

The recapitalisation of London Southend Airport Limited under the Carlyle/Cyrus proposals is not expected to be affected by this.

LTNman
21st Mar 2024, 10:24
Was its acquisition and money invested in Southend that sunk the company?

pabely
21st Mar 2024, 12:56
Of course it was. The dream when only picking up crumbs from other airports was totally undone by Covid. I still question whether SEN can stand on it's own two feet.

Expressflight
21st Mar 2024, 14:01
Of course it was. The dream when only picking up crumbs from other airports was totally undone by Covid. I still question whether SEN can stand on it's own two feet.

That's a fair question which will now be put to the test. The new owners' policy on ancillary activities, sadly neglected over past years, will be interesting to see.

DC3 Dave
21st Mar 2024, 14:31

I believe it is a little more complex than that but of course Covid did precisely what you said.

I am glad you make the point that SEN needs to stand on its own feet, you are right again. There are, I believe, UK airports - including some that serve many many millions of passengers each year - that do not.

asdf1234
21st Mar 2024, 18:35
Starting an airline based at the airport you own most probably didn't help...

LTNman
21st Mar 2024, 18:53
A radical approach would be to follow Blackpool’s rescue plan and stop all scheduled services, as that is where the loses are coming from. Southend hasn’t got the economies of scale to support any passenger operations with just odd random flights operating each day. I don’t really see what is going to change under new owners, as the core issues are not going to go away.

Expressflight
21st Mar 2024, 19:19
A radical approach would be to follow Blackpool’s rescue plan and stop all scheduled services, as that is where the loses are coming from. Southend hasn’t got the economies of scale to support any passenger operations with just odd random flights operating each day. I don’t really see what is going to change under new owners, as the core issues are not going to go away.

I don't see SEN being comparable to BLK. Just think back to 2019 at SEN and you can see what was possible then. Yes, I know you'll say that slot shortages elsewhere gave SEN an advantage but that alone didn't make the EZY and RYR routes profitable, as I'm sure they were.

Markushillman
21st Mar 2024, 20:13
I don't see SEN being comparable to BLK. Just think back to 2019 at SEN and you can see what was possible then. Yes, I know you'll say that slot shortages elsewhere gave SEN an advantage but that alone didn't make the EZY and RYR routes profitable, as I'm sure they were.

Those RYR aircraft must be invisible nowadays, but I mean seriously evidence suggests the RYR base/routes were not profitable. Yes they had Covid, it was a very unfortunate time etc and they closed the base in 2021. However no sign they are interested in returning. In fact in 2022 they were happy enough to open a base at Newcastle that continues today. If Southend was the holy grail they could have returned quite happily in 22/23. They were more than happy too at other places.
Even adding a few sun routes like they have at other smaller uk airports. But no nothing. Now of course EZY clearly have found a niche with the sun routes, ski routes, and the Paris and Amsterdam, and are clearly serving the routes that are profitable without the risk of setting up a base again.

pabely
21st Mar 2024, 20:18
Profitable for whom, the Airport or the Airlines..........we don't see the Airlines queuing up to make lots of money? Then again there is probably more profit elseware at the moment.
If things were so good before, why has Norwich picked up Ryanair this year?

Markushillman
21st Mar 2024, 20:55
Profitable for whom, the Airport or the Airlines..........we don't see the Airlines queuing up to make lots of money? Then again there is probably more profit elseware at the moment.

Exactly my point. Norwich picked them up even with its 10 fee, and from first looks before launch the routes are selling well with some high prices across the summer. Just can't see RYR returning at the moment, as I have said before, SEN needs to see if it can develop anymore with its partnership with EZY. Perhaps a few more year round routes AGP perhaps

SWBKCB
21st Mar 2024, 21:00
Exactly my point. Norwich picked them up even with its 10 fee, and from first looks before launch the routes are selling well with some high prices across the summer. Just can't see RYR returning at the moment, as I have said before, SEN needs to see if it can develop anymore with its partnership with EZY. Perhaps a few more year round routes AGP perhaps

As Expressflight has said on a number of occasions, somebody with deep pockets needs to take a gamble that the market will eventually come to them as other airports become more constrained (and that aviation continues to grow). The odd easy or Ryanair flight is neither here no there.

They also need to make best use of the airfield estate to mitigate the losses while they wait.

DC3 Dave
21st Mar 2024, 21:16

Once bitten twice shy possibly. Put it this way, we will never know if EZY would have retained their base at SEN through Covid had it not been forced to go head to head with RYR. Seemed to me that nobody cared enough to offer EZY what was needed in terms of deal renewal because RYR would offer increased capacity on the best routes in a flash.

Wizz of course gave the airport a try, and they offered something different with their late evening arrivals / departures that the based aircraft could not do. RYR with indecent haste offered the same routes for less.

So then the airport was left with RYR and again they could have departed purely because of Covid but maybe it was just job done time to go home.

I guess now that is all in the past. Let us hope whatever lessons can be learned have been.

LTNman
21st Mar 2024, 21:19
Gatwick is going through its DCO examination to expand. Luton is waiting a DCO decision to nearly double in size while Stansted has permission to substantially grow. So where is the constraint that will allow Southend to flourish?

Markushillman
21st Mar 2024, 21:28
As Expressflight has said on a number of occasions, somebody with deep pockets needs to take a gamble that the market will eventually come to them as other airports become more constrained (and that aviation continues to grow). The odd easy or Ryanair flight is neither here no there.

They also need to make best use of the airfield estate to mitigate the losses while they wait.

Indeed but how long do you wait until you realise that you may only ever be a bucket and spade airport to the sun destinations in Spain and Portugal. Which is exactly right in what you say they need to plan better the use of the airfield estate to generate alternative income.

FRatSTN
21st Mar 2024, 21:53
Esken fundamentally had the issue they took advantage of the capacity constraints in London and let the airlines in at very low rates and didn't create a solid business from it.

I remember Ken O'Toole from MAG being asked a question locally once in 2019 whether he saw SEN as a threat to STN growth and he said, how do SEN expect to sustain that growth and invest in an airport for the future when their airlines aren't paying them anything.

Turned out to be an extremely potent response.

Expressflight
22nd Mar 2024, 09:45
Plenty of good observations in recent posts from a number of informed viewpoints.

To respond to just a few points, firstly I meant that the EZY and RYR routes were profitable to them in 2019 - obviously not to SEN though they hoped to make profits from car parking, train fares and airport terminal concessions etc..

I think the evidence suggests that the RYR base was a spoiler, so the "job done" comment seems valid but I've seen nothing to suggest the RYR routes were not profitable. I saw the 'mayfly' and 'didfly' numbers for each departure at that time so know the true load factors - yes, I know yield is king but only some RYR routes mirrored those of EZY and Wizz.

As far as RYR returning is concerned I doubt that will happen while there is a good chance of EZY re-opening their SEN base - why would SEN poke EZY with that stick?

The suggestion that the new owners should "make best use of the airfield estate" is a good one with the attempt at driving up pax numbers at all costs in the last 5 years before Covid leaving that side of things out in the cold.

Who can say if EZY would have retained the SEN base through Covid were it not for RYR's presence - after all they did close the STN base as well as SEN.

Of course other LON airports have expansion plans in the pipeline but SEN has that spare capacity here and now.

EZY didn't see SEN as just a "bucket and spade" airport. They operated to PRG, BOD, VCE, BUD, CGD, AMS and SXF for example pre Covid and SEN boasted 30 scheduled routes in January 2020 just before Covid arrived and SEN was a four-aircraft EZY base in 2019.

I hope that the SEN management will put together some of SEN's achievements in the pre-Covid area as part of their marketing plan for this new era. The saying "past performance doesn't necessarily guarantee future returns" is true but it does at least show SEN as an operational success relatively recently.

SWBKCB
22nd Mar 2024, 09:52
Gatwick is going through its DCO examination to expand. Luton is waiting a DCO decision to nearly double in size while Stansted has permission to substantially grow. So where is the constraint that will allow Southend to flourish?

It's not just terminal capacity, but runway/air traffic control capacity - and SEN can offer slots at peak times, not just backfilling between waves.

SKOJB
22nd Mar 2024, 10:06
SEN as an airport will always be marginal and rely heavily on over capacity at all other London airports, very much a case of risk and reward!

FRatSTN
22nd Mar 2024, 13:16
The saying "past performance doesn't necessarily guarantee future returns" is true but it does at least show SEN as an operational success relatively recently.

But not a profitable success and that's what's the issue

Expressflight
22nd Mar 2024, 14:37
But not a profitable success and that's what's the issue

Don't forget that huge amounts of money were spent on developing the Stobart Air/Flybe routes; £30 million pounds comes to mind.

I wonder what would have been the result if Esken had just concentrated on EZY and RYR (although I thought the latter was a mistake). I've no knowledge of the commercial side of either of those deals but EZY had a planned four based aircraft at SEN for S2020 and without Covid where might it have gone from there I wonder.

The Elizabeth Line opens up another option for travelling to SEN. For example from Ealing Broadway to Southend Airport takes around 1hr 24m and Ealing Broadway to Luton Airport Dart Station takes 1hr 20m (both making a random booking enquiry). That should extend the SEN realistic catchment area a little Westward in Greater London.

pabely
22nd Mar 2024, 18:14
Some more negative news for Southend, 2Excel could be back to Doncaster.

Expressflight
22nd Mar 2024, 18:27

In the long term I don't see that as necessarily bad news. The hangarage of two 727s, that rarely fly, doesn't seem the most profitable use of a four bay hangar that if renovated could possibly find a tenant looking for a large MRO facility or similar. No doubt Carlyle with have a view on its best use.

DC3 Dave
22nd Mar 2024, 18:36

One thing for sure. They will not go quietly.

DC3 Dave
29th Mar 2024, 14:25
So the airport continues its slow recovery with another step forward. The terminal is now open every day of the week. Before long we shall be able to boast that SEN is the fastest growing of all the London airports in percentage terms.

All positive I reckon. You know what they say. A flight a day keeps the bailiffs away. Or possibly not.

LTNman
29th Mar 2024, 15:02
Before long we shall be able to boast that SEN is the fastest growing of all the London airports in percentage terms.

Which has absolutely no meaning.

crunchynutter
30th Mar 2024, 10:15
LTNman lighten up a bit. :)

vectisman
30th Mar 2024, 10:40
LTNMan would find it impossible to lighten up at all. He is always negative or knows better. Nearly every thread he contributes too
he does so with criticism or negativity. He is like the Daily Mail of PPRUNE.

LTNman
30th Mar 2024, 12:25
One passenger and then two, a 100% increase. We had this nonsense before about Southend being the fastest growing airport in the country and now is it about to start again? Growth should be shown by absolute numbers and not as a percentage. Sorry if that is being negative but the fastest growing airport can suddenly be at the end of the list depending how growth is calculated.

Personally I look forward to substantial growth at Southend to reduce the demand at Luton, as Luton will have access issues this summer.

ajamieson
30th Mar 2024, 12:42
The Elizabeth Line opens up another option for travelling to SEN. For example from Ealing Broadway to Southend Airport takes around 1hr 24m and Ealing Broadway to Luton Airport Dart Station takes 1hr 20m (both making a random booking enquiry). That should extend the SEN realistic catchment area a little Westward in Greater London.
However, this also works in the other direction. The Elizabeth line makes it easier and quicker for SEN's core market to reach LHR, LTN etc. If the Elizabeth line is hurting LCY, imaghine what it's doing to SEN!

Expressflight
30th Mar 2024, 16:19
However, this also works in the other direction. The Elizabeth line makes it easier and quicker for SEN's core market to reach LHR, LTN etc. If the Elizabeth line is hurting LCY, imaghine what it's doing to SEN!

Travelling from "SEN's core market" to LTN you wouldn't use the Elizabeth line.

I doubt that many among "SEN's core market" are making a choice between SEN or LHR as their offerings are so different and the Piccadilly line has fed into LHR for years. SEN or STN/LTN is a different matter but the Elizabeth line doesn't come into the equation for either of those.

LCY is only 45 minutes away from LHR on the Elizabeth line while SEN is 120 minutes away from LHR using that mode of travel so I can understand the former's unease.

DC3 Dave
30th Mar 2024, 17:09
Travelling from "SEN's core market" to LTN you wouldn't use the Elizabeth line.

I doubt that many among "SEN's core market" are making a choice between SEN or LHR as their offerings are so different and the Piccadilly line has fed into LHR for years. SEN or STN/LTN is a different matter but the Elizabeth line doesn't come into the equation for either of those.

LCY is only 45 minutes away from LHR on the Elizabeth line while SEN is 120 minutes away from LHR using that mode of travel so I can understand the former's unease.

Agree with you, except LHR is 47 minutes from Stratford on Elizabeth line and Stratford 44 minutes (best times) from SEN. This long weekend it may take 120 minutes as Elizabeth Line closed Stratford to Paddington.

pabely
30th Mar 2024, 19:04
Is Ealing Broadway or Stratford a core market for SEN?
I still can't see it pulling pax from LCY, STN, LHR or LTN unless you have an Essex postcode.
Any incentive to get airlines in is going to need almost zero cost to the operator.
I do hope the new owners have very deep long term pockets, I do not see things going on a big upwards trend at the moment.

mikkie4
30th Mar 2024, 19:13
First flight to PALMA MALLORCA going out tomorrow fully booked out and back , great news for the airport so must be doing something right

pabely
30th Mar 2024, 19:29
Try the booking engine in 2 weeks time once the kids are back at school, not so great reading.

Markushillman
30th Mar 2024, 19:39
Try the booking engine in 2 weeks time once the kids are back at school, not so great reading.

Tbf that is quite common to have a mid to late April dip after the Easter Holidays, its more of how it performs during May onwards

Expressflight
31st Mar 2024, 08:17
Is Ealing Broadway or Stratford a core market for SEN?
I still can't see it pulling pax from LCY, STN, LHR or LTN unless you have an Essex postcode.
Any incentive to get airlines in is going to need almost zero cost to the operator.
I do hope the new owners have very deep long term pockets, I do not see things going on a big upwards trend at the moment.

According to recent LSA marketing material SEN has a catchment of 8m people and 60% of passengers come from London (I assume they mean Greater London). They certainly include Stratford as being in their catchment area. Surely though, the thing about catchment areas is that they overlap one another. STN attracts people from the LTN catchment area and vice versa for example. When I lived in Southend I flew from SEN, LGW, LCY, LHR, STN, LTN and even SOU. It depended on the options that were available from each that suited me best for a particular journey. Since I've moved to Norfolk I've used NWI, STN, SEN and LCY but I travel much less than I used to. The trick for airports is to attract airlines/routes that will have the greatest appeal to the greatest number of people.

In 2019 SEN processed 2.1m passengers. On the majority of the routes served there were alternatives at competing LON airports so people weren't using SEN grudgingly. I don't think the problem is getting people to use SEN, it's getting airlines to commit to running those routes in these times of perhaps fewer slot restrictions elsewhere and maybe the financial muscle of Carlyle will help them achieve that.

Jinx01
25th Apr 2024, 12:54
It is my understanding that representatives from the Carlyle Group joined the London Southend route development team at Routes Europe 2024 this week and were on stand discussing opportunities with airlines. Amit Rikhy, group CEO of CAG Holdings LLC (CAG Holdings is the Carlyle Group's dedicated US-based investment platform for airport infrastructure investment opportunities globally) along with Stephen Cheung, Director of CAG Holdings LLC, flew over to Aarhus Denmark from the United States to join the Southend team made up of Nigel Mayes (Business Development Director), Marc Watkins (Route Development Manager) & Lin Hull (Business Development).

With a few airlines scheduled to visit London Southend throughout this year, let's hope talks were positive and we begin to see the benefits of the takeover in the not-so-distant future, but I must say it doesn't bode well for the "they are going to run it into the ground and build houses" crowd.

Barling Magna
26th Apr 2024, 09:38
Well that does at least sound optimistic. Thanks for sharing.

SouthernAlliance
26th Apr 2024, 10:33
Wouldn’t it be disappointing if they were not present at such event?

Expressflight
26th Apr 2024, 10:42

No, I don't think it would. In my experience it's been airport route development/marketing people who attend such events, not the very top management of the airport's owners. They attended to show that they mean business and will back up the management team in my view.

DC3 Dave
26th Apr 2024, 10:51

We really do not know what Carlyle want at this stage other than to protect their money whatever way they see fit. I cannot see them pumping out regular upbeat predictions regarding the airport as has been the way over past years.

SWBKCB
26th Apr 2024, 11:38
No, I don't think it would. In my experience it's been airport route development/marketing people who attend such events, not the very top management of the airport's owners. They attended to show that they mean business and will back up the management team in my view.

I agree - it's a significant show of support for the marketing team. :ok:

Expressflight
26th Apr 2024, 17:12
Nice to see Ascend Airways operating a SEN-HUY charter this afternoon with B738 G-HODL.

laviation
16th May 2024, 06:15
EZY to reopen the SEN base with 3x based A320 from 1 May 2025 - via SeanM on X

Brilliant news!

AirportPlanner1
16th May 2024, 06:19
Indeed! And as per airport e-mail just now six new previously unserved routes to go on sale by easyJet holidays - Pisa, Antalya, Dalaman, Enfidha, Marrakesh.

DC3 Dave
16th May 2024, 06:22
EZY to reopen the SEN base with 3x based A320 from 1 May 2025 - via SeanM on X

Brilliant news!

BOOM!

markhillmana320flyer
16th May 2024, 06:22
Yes the correct destinations this time ie holiday routes which is what Southend needs to be successful

pabely
16th May 2024, 06:43
Who next WZZ from away bases? Remind me, does a full A321 work well on SEN runway?
If this means SEN gets fully based customs officers then LCY operators should take note and make SEN #1 diversion airport once again.

DC3 Dave
16th May 2024, 06:49
Who next WZZ from away bases? Remind me, does a full A321 work well on SEN runway?

Good try but you are not going to rain on this parade today.

colinhunn
16th May 2024, 06:51
The silence is deafening from the doom mongers!!

LTNman
16th May 2024, 07:10
Certainly good news for the airport and its supporters.

pabely
16th May 2024, 07:14
I was not being negative, just thinking ahead.
To make serious money the new owners will require more than this.
With LTN making 4 new stands available then I would expect WZZ to base more aircraft there. Then you have the question of the first wave arrivals from Europe, could some be directed to SEN?

FRatSTN
16th May 2024, 08:31
Good news for SEN and hopefully the start of a more meaningful recovery for them. With the six routes announced, AYT, DLM, LPA, NBE, PSA and RAK, assuming each flies 3x a week (I can't see them each being much more than that initially) that's only 18 departures a week, which even just one aircraft could just about serve if utilised effectively.

I'd imagine therefore with a three aircraft base they will either add more or will switch the existing EJU routes back to SEN based. Assuming a daily AGP, ALC, AMS, FAO, PMI and maybe 4 weekly CDG on top of what's accounced today, all on SEN based fleet, would probably just about fill three aircraft worth of flying.

The interesting question in that scenario is where would all the current EJU flying into SEN go to, or might they reduce some of their Mediterranean bases? I'm sure our friends over at SOU would be hoping to pick some of this up.

DC3 Dave
16th May 2024, 08:34
Interesting to see the longer distances than has been the norm for summer routes from SEN. Possibly to protect against anyone operating 738s jumping in to do damage.

FRatSTN
16th May 2024, 10:56
Interesting to see the longer distances than has been the norm for summer routes from SEN. Possibly to protect against anyone operating 738s jumping in to do damage.

If history is anything to go by they'll be making fuel stops every other week on those longer sectors during the height of summer. Even the odd FAO and AGP's couldn't take on the fuel required to go non-stop with the payloads on particularly hot/humid summer days and would stop at somewhere like NTE or BOD to pick up more fuel. I would hope EZY have the sense to schedule those longer sectors for later in the day so they don't risk a knock-on impact to the rest of the day's operation when this is neccessary.

SWBKCB
16th May 2024, 10:57
Less of an issue with the NEO's?

FRatSTN
16th May 2024, 11:04
Fair point. I think they did have a couple of NEO's based pre-COVID but might be wrong. Admittedly it was probably the CEO's more caught out by this, but surely the stretch to Turkey and the Canaries may still pose a small chance of this.

DC3 Dave
16th May 2024, 11:08

That was often discussed previously when the first NEOs were added to their fleet. EZY of course stated the aircraft would be that spec in their press release which must tell us something.

If there is an issue then all I can say is, Stand by Manston. For you - Opportunity Knocks.

markhillmana320flyer
16th May 2024, 11:12
If history is anything to go by they'll be making fuel stops every other week on those longer sectors during the height of summer. Even the odd FAO and AGP's couldn't take on the fuel required to go non-stop with the payloads on particularly hot/humid summer days and would stop at somewhere like NTE or BOD to pick up more fuel. I would hope EZY have the sense to schedule those longer sectors for later in the day so they don't risk a knock-on impact to the rest of the day's operation when this is neccessary.

Just an interesting point that im a little unclear on so hoping someone can tell me.

My local Norwich has a Runway length I believe about 40ft shorter than Southend, but has never seemed to have an issue with operating the longer flights to Paphos, Dalaman and Tenerife during the Summer in the most part, alhough very very occasionally when it has been very hot at NWI they have had a to leave a few bags behind.

Obviously I know the environmental factors have a big say on performance ie wind and temp.

But is the 737 better at performance from shorter runways than the A320 series?

Thanks to anyone who can answer.

pabely
16th May 2024, 11:52
I was told about this a few weeks ago but with an earlier start date for based aircraft, as per the press conference at the airport today, more routes to come.
I suspect flights from away bases will be reduced but exact details will be released over coming weeks.
I am always thinking can better money be made elsewhere- AMS / CDG specificly.

FRatSTN
16th May 2024, 11:57
Just an interesting point that im a little unclear on so hoping someone can tell me.

My local Norwich has a Runway length I believe about 40ft shorter than Southend, but has never seemed to have an issue with operating the longer flights to Paphos, Dalaman and Tenerife during the Summer in the most part, alhough very very occasionally when it has been very hot at NWI they have had a to leave a few bags behind.

Obviously I know the environmental factors have a big say on performance ie wind and temp.

But is the 737 better at performance from shorter runways than the A320 series?

Thanks to anyone who can answer.

I don't know the exact specifications of each although some 737NGs have the SFP (Short Field Performance) modification that helps reduce takeoff and landing distance. I believe when Ryanair operated from SEN they only ever used the SFP examples. I guess the ones that use NWI probably are too.

AirportPlanner1
16th May 2024, 13:18

The AMS route always did very well from SEN since the first base opened. It’s also a very short block time so if you have circa three hours slack at either end the question is what else could you do with your plane that might make more money and where there is somewhere near realistic demand. The answer is very little. From SEN you could look at JER or NQY, but aside from high summer AMS will always be a better bet and will support higher frequency. From an AMS base it’s only really other UK airports as an alternative, many of which like SEN are also existing bases.

CDG is similar, but even more limited alternatives as domestic flying is more problematic there.

markhillmana320flyer
16th May 2024, 14:41
I don't know the exact specifications of each although some 737NGs have the SFP (Short Field Performance) modification that helps reduce takeoff and landing distance. I believe when Ryanair operated from SEN they only ever used the SFP examples. I guess the ones that use NWI probably are too.

Thankyou FRatSTN makes sense.

GayFriendly
16th May 2024, 15:02
Good news for Southend

BHX is a 3 aircraft base and has something like 28 EZY destinations so I think there's plenty more to come for SEN. Remember to factor in non based flying. Despite the BHX base, BHX- GLA and EDI routes are away based aircraft and EJU operate a fair few rotations as well - LIS and LYS off the top of my head amongst others.

pabely
16th May 2024, 15:14
I was told about this a few weeks ago but with an earlier start date for based aircraft, as per the press conference at the airport today, more routes to come.
I suspect flights from away bases will be reduced but exact details will be released over coming weeks.
I have checked my source and it does say Base from March, unless a typo like the press conference this morning which quoted x3 A380NEOs !!

AirportPlanner1
16th May 2024, 17:25
I have checked my source and it does say Base from March, unless a typo like the press conference this morning which quoted x3 A380NEOs !!

Is it the holidays that start from May? The 1st is the traditional package start date

AirportPlanner1
16th May 2024, 17:37
Of all the impressive range of holiday destinations Stansted serve, what an amazing coincidence the three picked out the hat for promoting today are the Canaries, Turkey and Morocco…

pabely
16th May 2024, 17:43
Is it the holidays that start from May? The 1st is the traditional package start date
I think so, BBC even quoting March https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cpvgv6yn7n4o#webview=1

DC3 Dave
16th May 2024, 17:49
From EZY media release.

The new UK base will open next March creating around 130 direct and supporting many more indirect jobs

LTNman
16th May 2024, 19:14
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/24324225.southend-airport-takeover-carlyle-rescue-deal-completes/

A RESCUE deal for Southend (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport has been completed, and it could see new airlines coming to the airport “very soon”.

DC3 Dave
17th May 2024, 08:15
A brief glance at EZY website appears to show 8x week to Turkey, 3 Morocco, 3 Gran Canaria, 3 Tunisia, 2 Pisa and 2 Tuscany?

Clearly this all about package holidays, which begins to make more sense when you consider that such offerings are not (for the time being) likely to be offered by EZY from STN. Of course, there is Jet2 but you cannot avoid all competition in lucrative markets. RYR can of course undercut fares if they wish, but I still think EZY have a considerable edge when it comes to booking a complete package.

cornishsimon
17th May 2024, 09:14
Wasn’t the issue with U2 operating to NQY that the airbus was too much aircraft for the route ?

cs

AirportPlanner1
17th May 2024, 09:40
Wasn’t the issue with U2 operating to NQY that the airbus was too much aircraft for the route ?

cs

Yes. It was more a point about the viability of SEN-AMS. I wasn’t suggesting NQY would or should return, just making the point there’s little else you could consider in gaps between longer sectors to optimise use of an aircraft. Aside from which, by all reasonable metrics, there’s no evidence SEN-AMS is a poor use of an asset. If it had been a past failure or marginal I assume EZY wouldn’t have gone out their way to operate it as a W from the FAO base.

pamann
17th May 2024, 09:46
Looking at the times of some of those Turkish arrivals back into SEN leaves me wondering how many will often be heading to LGW instead?

What's the latest permitted arrival into SEN at night?

DC3 Dave
17th May 2024, 10:04
Looking at the times of some of those Turkish arrivals back into SEN leaves me wondering how many will often be heading to LGW instead?

What's the latest permitted arrival into SEN at night?

It does get a little complex. 23:30 is the basic answer but arrivals can and have been accepted later. SEN is open 24/7 but not the terminal and I do not know how far past 23:30 that can stretch. There is a night quota of 120 movements per month but (I stand to be corrected) hidden in the small print are exceptions for passenger aircraft when delay can be shown to be no fault of the operator.

So really it is flexible to some degree if it is possible to keep the terminal handling arrivals including border force etc.

Edit: Having a quick look after reading pamanns post the first arrival I saw was 23:55. What is going on? Intriguing 🧐

AirportPlanner1
17th May 2024, 11:05
There are also arrivals after midnight which caught my eye. I thought the latest allowed was 23:30 with delayed flights having no limit other than staffing - I know some arrived in the early hours but others went elsewhere. Perhaps 23:30 being definitive was just urban legend. The freight flights were after midnight so perhaps the planning condition doesn’t prohibit scheduled pax flights, just limits after-hours movements?

pabely
17th May 2024, 11:43
That's killed LTNman's retirement plan to move to Essex for a quieter life!

pamann
17th May 2024, 12:54
It does get a little complex. 23:30 is the basic answer but arrivals can and have been accepted later. SEN is open 24/7 but not the terminal and I do not know how far past 23:30 that can stretch. There is a night quota of 120 movements per month but (I stand to be corrected) hidden in the small print are exceptions for passenger aircraft when delay can be shown to be no fault of the operator.

So really it is flexible to some degree if it is possible to keep the terminal handling arrivals including border force etc.

Edit: Having a quick look after reading pamanns post the first arrival I saw was 23:55. What is going on? Intriguing 🧐

The Tuesday arrival from Antalya is scheduled in at 00:05 local according to the easyJet Holidays website.

willy wombat
17th May 2024, 15:14
Just wondered whether anyone knows whether an EZY A320 neo has a better range from SEN than a 320 ceo. The neo will need less fuel for any given destination but it is a heavier aircraft so do the two balance each other out?

Expressflight
17th May 2024, 15:55
The Tuesday arrival from Antalya is scheduled in at 00:05 local according to the easyJet Holidays website.

According to the copy I have of the Section 106 agreement passenger flights are limited to between 0630L and 2300L in general, with the exception that 90 flights per month may be scheduled to land between 2300L and 2330L.

In addition delayed ATMs can land after those times; for aircraft with a QC count of more than 1.0 such movements shall count towards the 120 per month night quote, whereas aircraft with a QC of less than 1.0 shall not count towards that quota.

DC3 Dave
17th May 2024, 16:42
Just wondered whether anyone knows whether an EZY A320 neo has a better range from SEN than a 320 ceo. The neo will need less fuel for any given destination but it is a heavier aircraft so do the two balance each other out?

I read recently (sorry forgotten where) that weight and thrust are very close, one of the advantages of the NEO - certainly where SEN is concerned - is lower V speeds so less runway required.

QC Count. Can anyone confirm the following, would explain a lot given what Expressflight has shared with us:

It is [also] around 17dB quieter than Chapter 4 and also meets, and beats, Chapter 14 criteria as well,” he said. “In London it has the QC [Quota Count] system based on the noise levels of aircraft and the A320neo is QC exempt for arrivals and QC exempt for departures, apart from maximum take-off weight.”

EI-BUD
19th May 2024, 12:17
Thanks to markhillmam.. and FRatSTN for this topic, which I find interesting.

Delighted to see SEN getting this new lease of life, all thanks to easyJet. So much potential exists. Personally I loved the airport experience and used it a number of times prepandemic.

I understand this to be true also, that FR only used the SFP models at SEN which bore the registrations EI-GX? E.g. EI-GXJ, GXL etc. In the case of NWI I can see that to date since the launch in April they've had 737-800 model and max or as they like up call it -8200. Cannot see examples of the SFP model.

In relation to the 320CEO V NEO discussion,I don't have exacts on this but it would seem that if the USP of this aircraft (NEO) is lower fuel burn and lighter weight, it would stand to reason that the plane could fly the same distance with less feel, hence it should be lighter and needs less runway than predecessor. This logic gets clouded when we then talk about the differing configurations of 320s. They come in differing seating capacities. In relation to my example above I'm thinking 186 seat CEO v 186 NEO. We know that there are CEOs of 180 & 186 and NEOs of 186 & 188. Clearly extra pax between models would negate the benefits of weight saving on fuel for the same journey.

These longer sectors to Turkey will really treat this topic and I'm sure we'll see some interesting debate on here too that effect.

Expressflight
19th May 2024, 15:30
The easyJet announcement of the re-opening of the SEN base was very specific on the subject of it being 186 seat A320-neo aircraft that would be based there. I wonder if these A320neos will embody the SHARP modification (SHort AiRfield Package) which offers similar airfield performance benefits as does the Boeing 737NG SFP (Short Field Performance). I don't know if easyJet have had any aircraft delivered with this embodied but a number of the destinations announced so far would certainly seem to benefit from it. The noise footprint of the 320neo is considerably smaller than that of the 320ceo so that might also have been a consideration and was mentioned in the Press Briefing.

A reliable source also informs me that this Summer's use of away-based aircraft to operate SEN's routes will be repeated in 2025 to the extent of some 25 weekly rotations; in effect the equivalent of a 4th based aircraft. My take on all this is that easyJet may consider that SEN now offers the solution to their Essex/East London customers needs and that the STN base will not be re-opened. If that is the case I can envisage the SEN base growing further.

DC3 Dave
19th May 2024, 15:47
I thought the above was a great post that summarised perfectly where we are right now.

I believe the next release of seats from EZY is due in the coming week and that should confirm the continued use of away based aircraft.

pabely
19th May 2024, 16:53
The easyJet announcement of the re-opening of the SEN base was very specific on the subject of it being 186 seat A320-neo aircraft that would be based there. I wonder if these A320neos will embody the SHARP modification (SHort AiRfield Package) which offers similar airfield performance benefits as does the Boeing 737NG SFP (Short Field Performance). I don't know if easyJet have had any aircraft delivered with this embodied but a number of the destinations announced so far would certainly seem to benefit from it. The noise footprint of the 320neo is considerably smaller than that of the 320ceo so that might also have been a consideration and was mentioned in the Press Briefing.

A reliable source also informs me that this Summer's use of away-based aircraft to operate SEN's routes will be repeated in 2025 to the extent of some 25 weekly rotations; in effect the equivalent of a 4th based aircraft. My take on all this is that easyJet may consider that SEN now offers the solution to their Essex/East London customers needs and that the STN base will not be re-opened. If that is the case I can envisage the SEN base growing further.
On the back of that, how many based aircraft can SEN accommodate? 10?
At what point can they lockout the Harps?

AirportPlanner1
19th May 2024, 20:57
On the back of that, how many based aircraft can SEN accommodate? 10?
At what point can they lockout the Harps?

I estimate there are 22 stands available, from Google maps satellite image. There are 17 marked out but some of those are around the Jet Centre which I assume they’d want to safeguard. There are 10 stands directly linked to the terminal, I think the max number of based aircraft previously was 9 (4x EZY, 3x FR, 2x BE/STK).

Given there have been 9 previously, albeit 2 were ATRs, I guess 12 based aircraft is realistic. But probably the upper limit is about 14 or 15, also thinking about terminal, parking and road network capacity.

FRatSTN
20th May 2024, 05:15

EasyJet cannot re-open the STN base after surrendering all their slots to Ryanair. There's no more capacity for overnight/based aircraft at STN at least for the next few years. It was a short-sighted view to close STN as a base anyway. NCL and SEN were arguably more justified closures at the time as not only smaller bases but also there remains a fairly open opportunity to return. Of course LGW and LTN remain the key strategic focal points for EZY, but the STN foothold was more valuable than many seem keen to accept, mainly in the form of 7 first wave slots in one of the most congested aviation markets in Europe.

People always jump to the same common denominator regarding STN which everyone will say is Ryanair. The reality is now however, EZY has re-aligned it's strategic growth into package holidays, so the competitive pressure of Ryanair's cost base on a low-cost flight only product is less impactful. Instead, the likes of Jet2 become more of a direct competitor which EZY holidays is obviously keen to engage in. One of the key successes to the package holiday product is providing convenient, local offerings with national coverage, something Jet2 has come leaps and bounds from their original focus on Northern regions. Inevitably, had EZY kept the STN base going, they wouldn't be flying the same rather random mix of routes such as BIO, PRG, LJU, MUC as before Covid, but rather a number of routes to Spain, Greece, Turkey and North Africa to align with the holiday product, more targeted at a catchment around North/East London and East of England. This alongside flying the domestics and AMS as they do now on non-based aircraft could've allowed them to develop a fairly sizeable operation at STN equivelent to maybe 11-12 based aircraft with no doubt some quite favourable commercial terms. There then would've still been a smaller local market that could support SEN. Pie in the sky as some may think that sounds, with the order book of aircraft EZY have, they will struggle to give much of that to London without STN playing a part. It's important to recognise the next London airport poised to be able to offer any kind of meaningful capacity benefit in the next few years is STN, but it would still be extremely difficult to build back up the size of operation they had from scratch with competing slot requests from other airlines.

They tried to consolidate capacity at LGW after the STN and SEN base closures, only to find what anybody could've probably predicted which was a sub-optimal slot holding through short-term leasing and not having the resourse requirements to fulfil the size of the operation. Consequently they've reduced their LGW slot holding this summer by I think something like 3 based aircraft worth of flying. Interesting therefore how that tallies with the re-opening of SEN as a 3 aircraft base. EZY will be only far too aware of a reducing market share in the overall London market as they've not been able to hold on to the LGW capacity they perhaps wanted to. LTN is at it's planning cap, STN is not currently a viable option so SEN is the obvious solution and I think that's principly why we've seen this for Summer 2025. I'm sure there will be opportunity for some EZY growth in LGW, LTN and SEN over the coming years, but I'm convinced that closing the STN base will have some quite painful long-term implications on EZY's ability to grow, or even maintain it's market share, in London as a whole.

LTNman
20th May 2024, 05:39
LTN is at it's planning cap,

That is about to change with the planning conditions for an extra million passengers about to be reached but in reality due to lower passenger figures last year there is spare passenger capacity at Luton assuming they can secure slots.

The problem is getting to Luton by car due to the fire that closed the drop off area. The airport was gridlocked this morning with one mile queues on the main approach road as 4 lanes of traffic from 3 different roads become just one lane for the drop off area.

It is a shame Easyjet have not opened a base for this year to capitalise on Luton’s woes.

compton3bravo
20th May 2024, 06:20
Steady on people. Great news about three EZY based aircraft bu they will probbly pay nothing or very little to the airport in the short term so talking about a large number of based aircraft is rather premature. Steady as she goes for now,

DC3 Dave
20th May 2024, 07:21
So we know the airport has found a way of accepting later arrivals whilst presumably sticking to the rules. In order to get the most out of the remaining time available to each aircraft, I would not surprised to see an earlier start to each day as well. The alternatives would be two daily rotations or three that include two hops to AMS/JER/CDG or the like.

There will be a reaction to longer hours from a vocal minority locally. So, as Compton suggests, steady as we go.

SWBKCB
20th May 2024, 07:51
There will be a reaction to longer hours from a vocal minority locally. So, as Compton suggests, steady as we go.

I agree - living near an approach path a find that the official statements about CEO vs NEO noise (and 738 vs MAX) aren't reflected in the real world, especially in the early hours. I can't tell them apart.

LTNman
20th May 2024, 08:50
Exactly, there is no meaningful difference

So we know the airport has found a way of accepting later arrivals whilst presumably sticking to the rules.

So a breach of trust is acceptable by companies that don’t care and try to wriggle out of agreements that they were happy to once accept. I find it quite shameful personally where big corporate finds it justifiable to ignore what they don’t like while everyone else has to obey the rules.

Expressflight
20th May 2024, 10:41
To be clear there has been no change to the Section 106 Operational Controls. My 2018 copy allows up to 90 Passenger Flights per month to be scheduled to arrive between 2300 and 2330 and every year, pre-Covid, arrivals were scheduled during that 'shoulder period' as it is described. Such movements are included in the 120 per month night quota. Late running scheduled flights are also permitted to land after 2300 without any time constraints.

So there has been no 'massaging' of the operational controls as far as I can see and they have not "found a way of accepting later arrivals" as provision for those is already clearly laid down.

LTNman
20th May 2024, 11:17
Expressflight, is spot on as usual.

Statement from the airport

The flight times being advertised with the holidays are not confirmed and are just provisional at this stage.

All passenger flights operated to/from London Southend will be scheduled in accordance with our existing S106 agreement. We have picked up this with easyJet and asked them to amend the advertised flight times.

DC3 Dave
20th May 2024, 11:18
To be clear there has been no change to the Section 106 Operational Controls. My 2018 copy allows up to 90 Passenger Flights per month to be scheduled to arrive between 2300 and 2330 and every year, pre-Covid, arrivals were scheduled during that 'shoulder period' as it is described. Such movements are included in the 120 per month night quota. Late running scheduled flights are also permitted to land after 2300 without any time constraints.

So there has been no 'massaging' of the operational controls as far as I can see and they have not "found a way of accepting later arrivals" as provision for those is already clearly laid down.

Tbf, we are now talking about flights that are scheduled to arrive after 11:30 and whether the lower noise level of the 320neo makes it exempt from being included in the night quota. I’m not saying that is the case, but for sure I am curious and a little puzzled.

Edit: There is more information posted. It is wait and see time methinks.

Expressflight
20th May 2024, 16:04
Looking at some of the flight times for the easyJet Holidays in 2025 they seem to schedule 60 minute turnrounds at destination. Is this a change from 2024 when I thought 30 minutes is still the norm.

LTNman
20th May 2024, 16:49
Just means a tight turnaround with a delayed Southend arrival time will conform with the section 106 agreement while a realistic arrival time won’t.

DC3 Dave
21st May 2024, 05:47
EZY have released flights through to the middle of June 25. Looks like the same as this year with regard to EJU away based aircraft.

With all the new routes to follow this is such a turnaround. Life is like a box of chocolates as someone once said.

FRatSTN
21st May 2024, 06:16
EZY have released flights through to the middle of June 25. Looks like the same as this year with regard to EJU away based aircraft.

With all the new routes to follow this is such a turnaround. Life is like a box of chocolates as someone once said.

I wouldn't take much notice of the times as published just yet. As you say they just release the same as this year and all the changes will follow at a later date. That happens every year.

The holidays show a better but still not final indication. All the EJU stuff operating in S24 again is just copied over for S25 with any new/additional stuff on top.

SEN-ALC for example is showing at 5x weekly on Holidays for S25 with new Sun, Wed and Thu rotations on SEN based aircraft. The existing 2x weekly Mon and Fri is just copied over as per the rest of the existing flight schedule for S24 so they'll probably change.