PDA

View Full Version : Southend-3

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

SKOJB
14th Oct 2022, 11:14
Goodness me! So much has changed over 10 years, although if you had just woken after a decade of sleep you may not think so.

Rather than focus on the past I would like to hear something from the new CEO, John Upton, on how he believes the airport can get back on any sort of track in the next couple of years. Right now his silence is deafening. Now perhaps he is a man who likes to go about his business quietly and diligently, preferring to be judged by his achievements. If that is the case, fine. I have heard though, from an unreliable source, that he is busy right now up stepladders repainting the Skylife Lounge in case it is ever needed again.

Making sure the financial future of the airport is secured by preparing his Alicante announcement!

AirportPlanner1
14th Oct 2022, 13:21
Making sure the financial future of the airport is secured by preparing his Alicante announcement!

My hunch is that *if* Alicante is announced, it will be alongside further new route. This is because Alicante is not a base, and a W wouldn’t fit with existing timings. The airport’s social media had been hinting at Barcelona recently. Potentially therefore along with the gap between Faro inbound and outbound there could be six routes next summer.

DC3 Dave
14th Oct 2022, 17:09
My hunch is that *if* Alicante is announced, it will be alongside further new route. This is because Alicante is not a base, and a W wouldn’t fit with existing timings. The airport’s social media had been hinting at Barcelona recently. Potentially therefore along with the gap between Faro inbound and outbound there could be six routes next summer.

So do you think AMS-SEN-ALC-SEN-AMS could be remotely possible? It would certainly make sense if combined with the twice weekly AMS flights using the Faro based aircraft you suspect is on the cards. As Expressflight posted, 2 X weekly to AMS seems a little unlikely in isolation

AirportPlanner1
14th Oct 2022, 21:09
So do you think AMS-SEN-ALC-SEN-AMS could be remotely possible? It would certainly make sense if combined with the twice weekly AMS flights using the Faro based aircraft you suspect is on the cards. As Expressflight posted, 2 X weekly to AMS seems a little unlikely in isolation

Its possible, although whatever the 2x route is it rises to 4x in Sep.

OltonPete
14th Oct 2022, 21:42
Its possible, although whatever the 2x route is it rises to 4x in Sep.

Wasn't Alicante rumoured to be a potential new summer only base and easy scheduled AMS-BHX-ALC-BHX-AMS in summer 2021 but it never actually started but was put on sale so definitely a possibility. However they did operate BFS-BHX-CFU-BFS and BFS-CFU-BHX-BFS which worked brilliantly in 2021 but alas the loads on BHX-CFU sector were not great possibly due to COVID entry restrictions at the time.

Pete

LTNman
16th Oct 2022, 13:46
Southend live 14th October inc EasyJet arrival and departure. Anyone count the passenger numbers?

https://youtu.be/rgjAfngMPi0

Expressflight
17th Oct 2022, 07:44
Southend live 14th October inc EasyJet arrival and departure. Anyone count the passenger numbers?

https://youtu.be/rgjAfngMPi0
As best as I could count them it was 140 inbound and 151 outbound plus a few infants.

SKOJB
17th Oct 2022, 08:56
That video was essentially a bit of cheap PR for the airport and an attempt to promote an empty airport with one flight inbound. Smacked of desperation although I guess fair play for giving it a go!

LTNman
17th Oct 2022, 15:12
I did notice the empty car parks and aprons but at least light aircraft haven’t been expelled and are keeping the airport ticking over. I thought the passenger numbers were reasonable for mid October.

Barling Magna
17th Oct 2022, 16:03
There's a small but useful number of bizjets each day too. "Ticking over" is the right term LTNman, certainly not in first gear again yet.

pabely
17th Oct 2022, 17:42
I did like how the SDTV commentator talked about 30 movements an hour and was so surprised at a non UK registered Airbus being used.

LTNman
17th Oct 2022, 17:56
I have never seen step free boarding before without the use of a pier. This saves SEN requiring an ambilift.

LTNman
18th Oct 2022, 07:43
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23056069.southend-airport-talks-update-easyjet-disappointment/

Southend (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport has issued an update on its discussions with airlines after holidaymakers were left "exceptionally disappointed" at the lack of new easyJet routes.

Maybe the moral of the story is that Southend should not raise expectations and then can't deliver.

LTNman
25th Oct 2022, 06:38
https://simpleflying.com/london-southend-airport-struggle-new-routes/

SWBKCB
25th Oct 2022, 07:03
More Simple Flying click bait...

LTNman
25th Oct 2022, 08:26
More like an accurate description of what is happening at SEN with conclusions that coincide with the views found on the thread.

LTNman
31st Oct 2022, 19:13
Well that’s it for 5 months.

DC3 Dave
31st Oct 2022, 20:57
Well that’s it for 5 months.

Still have KLM most weeks. Hopefully

pabely
31st Oct 2022, 21:52
Some Diamond DA42s that's going to pay the bills!

pamann
31st Oct 2022, 22:53

KLM? Is it some kind of charter?

DC3 Dave
1st Nov 2022, 06:44
KLM? Is it some kind of charter?

No, it is KLM flight training academy using DA42s. Original post very much tongue in cheek.

22/04
1st Nov 2022, 09:52
I have never seen step free boarding before without the use of a pier. This saves SEN requiring an ambilift.

Widely used in India by Indigo. They speed up turnround times at airports with unreliable amiblifts and can be used by passengers with a wide range of ability.

DC3 Dave
7th Nov 2022, 11:22
Will Kevin the Carrot make it to Paris in time for Christmas?

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23106276.southend-airport-appears-new-aldi-christmas-advert/

Not from this airport methinks!

LTNman
7th Nov 2022, 12:05
Is the departure board really that size, as it could show 2 weeks of departures or to April if displayed now. Lots of extras employed as passengers for those background shots.

Barling Magna
7th Nov 2022, 16:45
Well, we've all been saying that SEN management need to diversify the income streams.......

DC3 Dave
8th Nov 2022, 13:05
Well, we've all been saying that SEN management need to diversify the income streams.......

And here is another.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23109751.london-southend-airport-announce-return-cargo-flights/

compton3bravo
8th Nov 2022, 13:17
These are normally Stansted flights but with the runway being resurfaced they have to find another temporary home.

Pain in the R's
8th Nov 2022, 16:22
So SEN will have to:

1/ Recruit staff on a 3 month contract.
2/ The staff are already there who are normally sleeping all night.
3/ The staff will transfer from Stansted.

mikkie4
8th Nov 2022, 16:31
The NIMBYS have had nothing to moan about for a while, can hear the pens and key boards already working

LTNman
8th Nov 2022, 16:43
SEN will have given residents zero consideration so if those residents want to kick off then that is their right, not that it will make the slightest difference. Maybe they should have access to the CEO’s home phone number for instant complaints so he knows what it is like to get disturbed sleep.

pabely
8th Nov 2022, 17:47
I assume these are the Leige/Paris flights normally done with a ASL 734. The Post Office West Atlantic & Titan stuff from up North is normally in and out of STN by 01:00.

cave dweller
9th Nov 2022, 07:14
ESKEN have informed the Stock Market this morning that a Sale of the Airport is not off the table and that either Aviation or renewables may be sold.

LTNman
9th Nov 2022, 07:32
Of course it will be sold. I have been saying that for years. As ESKEN doesn’t own the land, they and any new company can’t do a Doncaster Sheffield, as they will be buying just a lease that is worth what?

I can see the the airport becoming another Blackpool to stem losses, Maybe Southend Council taking control again like Blackpool Council did?

Blackpool Council reacquired Blackpool Airport in September 2017 from Balfour Beatty via its ownership of Blackpool Airport Operations Ltd and Blackpool Airport Property Ltd, to secure its long- term future as part of the Blackpool Airport Enterprise Zone.

DC3 Dave
9th Nov 2022, 13:32
There is an EGM on 29th November to seek approval to borrow money beyond the current limits set by the company.

Not a corporate man myself but think I may have concerns if I was an investor.

LTNman
9th Nov 2022, 16:50
If Elon Musk bought the airport from ESKEN he would no doubt cut out the loss making parts of the airport leaving a runway, maintenance hangars and a few flying clubs. By doing that he could get rid of most of the fire cover and most of the staff. The terminal could be sold off to the likes of B&Q.

The sale price would not reflect how much ESKEN has spent, as they will be keen to just draw a line on ever increasing loses. The truth is I doubt they would not be brave enough to make big decisions.

Buster the Bear
9th Nov 2022, 18:21
https://www.sharecast.com/news/news-and-announcements/southend-airport-owner-esken-considering-sale-as-interim-losses-widen--11324706.html

LTNman
10th Nov 2022, 09:24
https://shareprices.com/news/in-brief-esken-mulls-sale-of-operations-business-on-widened-losses-qtgpbrg58madqc5/

Penny share territory.

https://i.imgur.com/sAanKZ6.jpg

TCAS FAN
10th Nov 2022, 16:04
https://shareprices.com/news/in-brief-esken-mulls-sale-of-operations-business-on-widened-losses-qtgpbrg58madqc5/

Penny share territory.

https://i.imgur.com/sAanKZ6.jpg

Usually applied to an airline, but the question is “How do you make a small fortune running an airport?” Answer, “Start with a large one”!

SEN Observer
11th Nov 2022, 06:26
EasyJet reassure Southend Airport passengers of future | Echo (echo-news.co.uk) (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23116889.easyjet-reassure-southend-airport-passengers-future/)

SKOJB
11th Nov 2022, 06:54
Despite the headline, there is no such reassurance in this statement that the airport is key to their future plans!

LTNman
11th Nov 2022, 07:36
Easyjet might be resuming flights at the end of March but there is only a single flight each week until May. Even May doesn’t start too well.

So how much will a single flight each week cost SEN in having to staff and reopen the terminal for around 3 hours each week?

Expressflight
11th Nov 2022, 08:43
So how much will a single flight each week cost SEN in having to staff and reopen the terminal for around 3 hours each week?

Well, the cost will be spread over the many other flights that the SEN management are confident that S2023 will bring. (Pity there's no sarcasm icon on PPRuNe.)

DC3 Dave
11th Nov 2022, 08:45
Easyjet might be resuming flights at the end of March but there is only a single flight each week until May. Even May doesn’t start too well.

Well at least there’s now somewhere local where they can wind down after their work is done.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23115773.black-box-brewery-southend-airport-opens-new-taproom/

May even bump into the management drowning their sorrows.

Expressflight
11th Nov 2022, 09:42
Bring back The Flarepath.

22/04
11th Nov 2022, 12:00

This column is a bit negative at the moment. I think it is an uphill battle for SEN and they need to grab what they can - if they don't, they will be dead anyway so nothing to lose.

I am actually surprised to see Easy back. Can we say well done to the management.

LTNman
11th Nov 2022, 13:02
Looking at the September passenger figures SEN figures have dropped 35% compared with last September when the airport was still suffering from the effects of Covid. Remarkable really compared to the rest of the U.K where every airport showed growth.

DC3 Dave
11th Nov 2022, 13:29
Looking at the September passenger figures SEN figures have dropped 35% compared with last September when the airport was still suffering from the effects of Covid. Remarkable really compared to the rest of the U.K where every airport showed growth.

Not really a surprise. Ryanair still had two based aircraft until the end of October last year. So a drop of 35% is hardly a shock. The fact the airport is still hanging in there is the remarkable part.

DC3 Dave
11th Nov 2022, 14:42
This column is a bit negative at the moment. I think it is an uphill battle for SEN and they need to grab what they can - if they don't, they will be dead anyway so nothing to lose.

I am actually surprised to see Easy back. Can we say well done to the management.

I’d like to, but mentioning Ryanair in my previous post reminds me that Esken executive chairman David Shearer said last year the company was commercially agnostic to the loss of the base.

Given how things are now, I wonder if he would revisit that statement and reflect accordingly.

FRatSTN
11th Nov 2022, 16:28
This column is a bit negative at the moment
In fairness, no airport can justify the prospect of re-opening to one passenger flight a week. I hope the airport can survive with a sustainable passenger operation, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to see that happening.

LTNman
11th Nov 2022, 19:02
In July and August Easyjet reduces its Faro flights from 4 times a week to twice a week. I don’t know if that was the same as this year.

No flights anywhere next year on Tuesday and Saturdays.

Still plenty of time for an airline to turn things around for next year with based aircraft. Does feel though that it is the beginning of the end for terminal operations. No doubt the terminal could be mothballed indefinitely if required.

Barling Magna
18th Nov 2022, 14:55
"Five for a Fiver" is being offered to GA again. A rather poignant phrasde in the publicity: "Don't give London Southend Airport the cold shoulder this winter. Complete circuit training and pay £5 for 5+ circuits."

Don't give us the cold shoulder like all the airlines have......

It's gonna need a lot of fivers....

AirportPlanner1
18th Nov 2022, 15:23
In July and August Easyjet reduces its Faro flights from 4 times a week to twice a week. I don’t know if that was the same as this year.

It was 2x weekly this year. The 4x is an increase, plus whatever it is to be announced in the gap between arriving and returning to Faro.

pabely
18th Nov 2022, 16:59
"Five for a Fiver" is being offered to GA again. A rather poignant phrasde in the publicity: "Don't give London Southend Airport the cold shoulder this winter. Complete circuit training and pay £5 for 5+ circuits."

Don't give us the cold shoulder like all the airlines have......

It's gonna need a lot of fivers....
Only applies to based GA.

Expressflight
18th Nov 2022, 17:02
Only applies to based GA.
The scheme for non-based will be announced in a few days.

pabely
21st Nov 2022, 06:58
£6, circuit without full stop for non based.

LTNman
23rd Nov 2022, 04:01
It is £5 to drop someone off in a car at the airport but unlike circuit training for £5 or £6 the car is permitted to stop for up to 10 minutes. Bargain!

DC3 Dave
23rd Nov 2022, 07:59
Could be said the future of Southend Airport appears to be touch and go.

SKOJB
23rd Nov 2022, 08:26
Could be said the future of Southend Airport appears to be touch and go.

I see what you’ve done there! :D

compton3bravo
23rd Nov 2022, 14:59
Or this is for a full stop!

LTNman
29th Nov 2022, 13:32
The airport is shut Friday from 10am until 8pm. I wonder if anyone will notice?
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23153300.film-crew-spotted-making-movie-southend-airport/

Expressflight
29th Nov 2022, 15:27
The airport is shut Friday from 10am until 8pm. I wonder if anyone will notice?
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23153300.film-crew-spotted-making-movie-southend-airport/
I think that was last Friday and if true I'm sure they will have earned a lot more from location fees than they would have by being open. Gotta earn money where they can at present.

DC3 Dave
29th Nov 2022, 16:33
I think that was last Friday and if true I'm sure they will have earned a lot more from location fees than they would have by being open. Gotta earn money where they can at present.

I think there is some jealousy in Bedfordshire. They cannot bear the thought of the airport being named in the end credits of a Hollywood blockbuster.

The producers wish to thank the generous cooperation of London Southend Airport and its employee.

pabely
29th Nov 2022, 16:35
Top Gear next!

mikkie4
29th Nov 2022, 19:05
If it helps to keep the lights on, who cares were the money comes from

Buster the Bear
29th Nov 2022, 22:43
If only people had taken Tinkler seriously......

Lovely brownfield site for a new London suburb and with direct rail access.........

Expressflight
30th Nov 2022, 07:08
If only people had taken Tinkler seriously......

Lovely brownfield site for a new London suburb and with direct rail access.........
I don't remember him saying anything like that. Source?

22/04
30th Nov 2022, 07:53
Much knocking on here- Southend seems to be doing the best it can. There are other revenue streams - vehicle testing for example. It can't rely on air transport until there is a real chance of getting some.

Buster the Bear
30th Nov 2022, 22:14
I don't remember him saying anything like that. Source?
I never said he did.

What he did recognise was the potential wrong direction Stobart were taking.

Lovely brownfield site, that Esken could do well from selling?

Chances of an operational airport turning a dividend to shareholders is when?

SWBKCB
1st Dec 2022, 06:16
Esken don't own the airfield. it is leased from the council.

LTNman
1st Dec 2022, 06:30
It is starting to look like Southend in 2023 will be a mirror of Southend in 2022, which is not a good place to be.

Will 2024 be the last chance saloon for the airport? With the aviation industry all but recovered Southend is still at the start of its pandemic and is on life support. All but recovered means there is still capacity at other London airports. Until that capacity disappears Southend’s role is not require unless it reinvents itself. The problem for the airport is that capacity at Luton could increase by a million for 2024. Also the recession could impact flying in 2024, as people continue to get poorer causing another downturn.

Barling Magna
1st Dec 2022, 08:49
It is starting to look like Southend in 2023 will be a mirror of Southend in 2022, which is not a good place to be.

Will 2024 be the last chance saloon for the airport? With the aviation industry all but recovered Southend is still at the start of its pandemic and is on life support. All but recovered means there is still capacity at other London airports. Until that capacity disappears Southend’s role is not require unless it reinvents itself. The problem for the airport is that capacity at Luton could increase by a million for 2024. Also the recession could impact flying in 2024, as people continue to get poorer causing another downturn.

Yep, that sums it up nicely. SEN survived in the past with a wide range of aviation related activities that Stobart cast aside or ignored. It won't be easy to rebuild that.

LTNman
1st Dec 2022, 17:12
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23159896.southend-airport-changes-long-stay-1-parking-prices-ahead-christmas/

​​​​​​​The airport is changing its prices in Long Stay 1 from Thursday, December 1.

Visitors will now pay £5 for up to 10 hours in Long Stay 1 from December 1 to March 2023.

Barling Magna
2nd Dec 2022, 22:18
From the London Southend Airport FB page:

Don't forget, we're still operating over the winter period with private/business flights supported by the incredible Jet Centre Team, as well as general aviation activity. This comes with a price tag attached which all goes towards the overall airport money pot.
You might've also seen us on the telly recently, featuring in a Christmas TV advert and again with an epic feature in global YouTuber Mr Beast's latest multi-million-dollar video challenge?
That's because we're utilising the sleek, modern spaces here at London Southend Airport as a prime filming location. Just bear in mind that, if you do see film crews here on site, that they're doing so in a secure location with a reasonable expectation of privacy. We also often can't tell you what's going on, as much as we want to!
It popped up in the press a little while ago but it's worth mentioning again that we'll be reintroducing a cargo operation between January 8 and March 25.
We have a fantastic facility at the airport to support these flights, and it's great to welcome additional business during the coming winter period. It also gives us the opportunity to develop our logistics channel and connect London Southend Airport around the world.
Ok! So, I've probably (undoubtedly) missed something but to summarise:
a. Rather excellent filming location
b. Amazing Jet Centre
c. Light aircraft
d. Cargo flights between January 8, and March 25, 2023
Before anyone says anything... Yes, of course we want to be making money off of holidays to Palma de Mallorca, but we refuse to sit quietly over the winter in the meantime.
I say "we're working hard" all the time, but it's always true. In this case, we're working hard from a commercial point of view to ensure that London Southend Airport is as financially secure as possible and operating as a smart, opportunistic business until such time we see commercial plane tails taking off from the runway once again at the end of March.

mikkie4
3rd Dec 2022, 10:48
Good for them

DC3 Dave
4th Dec 2022, 20:15
Can it get any worse? SEN have just lost 3-0 to England……

SWBKCB
4th Dec 2022, 20:33
There's black humour, gallows humour and then DC3 Dave humour... :D

LTNman
5th Dec 2022, 07:06
Painful as it might seem, Blackpool turned itself around by expelling Jet 2 and other operators and then knocking down its terminal so it could focus on general aviation. In its last year of commercial operation the airport handled 223,372, a figure SEN would be glad to see today.

Southend will always have a future but it needs to focus on cutting overheads and expanding the successful parts of the business. While its fan base here will judge success on the number of passenger destinations and passenger flights the bean counters will be more interested in profits or losses. If those profits can only be achieved with no terminal operation then so be it. This won’t happen under Esken, but when the airport is sold the new owners will have a cold hard look at which parts of the airport make money, which parts has the highest overheads and whether they can see where Esken got it wrong.

Personally I would like to see SEN grab 20% of Luton’s passengers but that isn’t going to happen. I will put that down to location, location, location. Hemmed in by water on 2 sides, its distancing from London and no motorway network at its front door was always going to be a challenge despite its railway station.

The Esken strategy of Southend becoming successful as the airport of last choice has come unstuck yet that remains the strategy because that was the obvious business model with no plan B

SWBKCB
5th Dec 2022, 07:20
The difference between Blackpool and Southend is the amount Esken has sunk into the airport.

LTNman
5th Dec 2022, 08:36
Much of which will likely be written off.

jmdavies86
5th Dec 2022, 10:32
I will put that down to location, location, location. Hemmed in by water on 2 sides, its distancing from London and no motorway network at its front door was always going to be a challenge despite its railway station.

Even with it's own rail station, the journey time is 50-ish minutes long as it stops at all stations en-route from/to London.

If there were a twice-hourly 'Southend Express' type rail service, which operated from London-Liverpool St that only stops at Stratford, Shenfield & the airport en-route to Southend Victoria, then surely this would help to cut that journey time down.

Of course, the problem is that they need passenger numbers to improve before being able to justify implementing such a service.

DC3 Dave
5th Dec 2022, 12:02
So we can all read through the familiar reasons given why SEN will not succeed but back in 2019 it was well on the way. Near 40% growth on the previous year, 7 based LCC aircraft, 2 Stobart ATRs, Wizz adding to the mix and other smaller operations choosing the airport. It all added up to 2 million PAX with surely more to follow. Then Covid destroyed the dream. That and what appeared to be some terrible decision making from the Stobart board, biting off way more than they could chew trying to play a leading role in a new regional airline formed from Flybe. Losing easyjet - Tinkler is on record blaming Warwick Brady for that. Was the assumption that Ryanair would gobble up the million pax easyjet were walking away from?

Anyway we are where we are now. Roads to the airport have improved into the last couple of years with big improvements in key locations and the Elizabeth line has helped rail connections. But it is all irrelevant until airlines see Southend as a good option for better times and believe those days are fast approaching. May be a while IMO.

SEN Observer
5th Dec 2022, 12:53
Can we please, once and for all, put to bed this myth that the trains to SEN call at all stations? The stations between Stratford and the airport where the train does NOT call are listed below:

Maryland
Forest Gate
Manor Park
Ilford
Seven Kings
Goodmayes
Chadwell Heath
ROMFORD ***
Gidea Park
Harold Wood
Brentwood

*** Romford is served by only one train in every three.

The number of times I have seen misinformation on this subject is truly amazing!

Expressflight
5th Dec 2022, 14:01
Even with it's own rail station, the journey time is 50-ish minutes long as it stops at all stations en-route from/to London.
If there were a twice-hourly 'Southend Express' type rail service, which operated from London-Liverpool St that only stops at Stratford, Shenfield & the airport en-route to Southend Victoria, then surely this would help to cut that journey time down.
Of course, the problem is that they need passenger numbers to improve before being able to justify implementing such a service.
The reality is that there are stops at only seven of the stations between SEN and Liverpool Street, these being Rochford, Hockley, Rayleigh, Wickford, Billericay, Shenfield (for Elizabeth Line Crossrail) and Stratford (for Central and Jubilee Underground, DLR for Canary Wharf and London Overground services). I really don't see that being a deterrent to airlines' decisions, especially in view of the station being two minutes walk from the terminal exit and the high frequency of the train service.

I would think there is little chance of being able to add a 'Southend Express' due to the very high level of traffic on the route with very limited passing places for an Express.

jmdavies86
5th Dec 2022, 14:12
Can we please, once and for all, put to bed this myth that the trains to SEN call at all stations? The stations between Stratford and the airport where the train does NOT call are listed below:

Maryland
Forest Gate
Manor Park
Ilford
Seven Kings
Goodmayes
Chadwell Heath
ROMFORD ***
Gidea Park
Harold Wood
Brentwood

The number of times I have seen misinformation on this subject is truly amazing!

Okay, I apologise & stand corrected - they don't stop at ALL stations.

I would think there is little chance of being able to add a 'Southend Express' due to the very high level of traffic on the route with very limited passing places for an Express.

I wasn't suggesting an additional service, just an alteration to the timings of the existing service(s) so that at least one train can do fewer stops. If Billericay, Wickford, Rayleigh, Hockley & Rochford were avoided, then the service would be faster and thus more appealing, no...?!

_aax1
5th Dec 2022, 15:10

Maryland
Forest Gate
Manor Park
Ilford
Seven Kings
Goodmayes
Chadwell Heath
ROMFORD ***
Gidea Park
Harold Wood
Brentwood

Those stations aren’t served by Greater Anglia, so in theory, it does stop at all stations.

DC3 Dave
5th Dec 2022, 17:40
Okay, I apologise & stand corrected - they don't stop at ALL stations.

I wasn't suggesting an additional service, just an alteration to the timings of the existing service(s) so that at least one train can do fewer stops. If Billericay, Wickford, Rayleigh, Hockley & Rochford were avoided, then the service would be faster and thus more appealing, no...?!

Possibly for some. But not if your destination is one of the stations mentioned. But people have never flocked to STN over SEN because they can shave a few minutes off a train journey (lost anyway in their journey to and from the platform) They go there for reasons that are only too obvious.

Pain in the R's
5th Dec 2022, 17:57
The idea that the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair only need base a few aircraft at Southend to see how successful it would be for the airlines doesn’t cut the mustard. They did and then they left. So what’s changed?

AirportPlanner1
5th Dec 2022, 18:52
Those stations aren’t served by Greater Anglia, so in theory, it does stop at all stations.

In theory GA could serve them as the infrastructure is there, indeed a few of them are served one weekend or so per year coinciding with a major festival. Not sure if still the case but Gidea Park has been a mainline stop on one of the last trains on weekdays. Romford is a regular stop throughout the day.

DC3 Dave
6th Dec 2022, 09:00
MARKEYD posts on the Jersey thread that new routes to the island are expected from easyjet tomorrow.

Why do I feel a stirring in my loin?

NickBarnes
6th Dec 2022, 12:07
MARKEYD posts on the Jersey thread that new routes to the island are expected from easyjet tomorrow.

Probably just something you should see your doctor about

tophat27dt
7th Dec 2022, 19:28

No Jersey. Only Amsterdam i believe

AirportPlanner1
8th Dec 2022, 10:24
EZY now on sale to the end of the summer season.

It chops off the final Sunday of October, which makes sense from a technical scheduled season end date perspective but commercially looks poor as it prevents week-long Half Term breaks.

FAO remains 4x weekly with the unannounced gap. It has to be AMS, as it appears EJU would be prohibited from serving JER and certainly couldn’t do mainland domestic such as NQY.

pabely
8th Dec 2022, 12:20

We're your loin's moved with the news about extra JER flights to LGW & LTN?
As has been said already they would have to be EZY aircraft not EJU so no chance without a W leg perhaps with the new JER night stopping aircraft.

DC3 Dave
8th Dec 2022, 13:11
We're your loin's moved with the news about extra JER flights to LGW & LTN?
As has been said already they would have to be EZY aircraft not EJU so no chance without a W leg perhaps with the new JER night stopping aircraft.

So I have re-girded my loins in preparation for the bleak midwinter and beyond. Worse still the airport’s employee is going on strike - according to my unreliable source.

The worker united shall never be defeated.

AirportPlanner1
9th Dec 2022, 11:44
It looks like Saturday flights are being added to AGP & PMI bringing each of them up to 5x weekly.

pabely
16th Dec 2022, 07:58
x2 BizJets just landed, planned? Seems a little strange with no de-icing facilities avaiable as shown on NOTAM.

G-APDK
16th Dec 2022, 08:43
One of the Globals is due to go to Stansted shortly
G-APDK

Expressflight
16th Dec 2022, 10:32
x2 BizJets just landed, planned? Seems a little strange with no de-icing facilities avaiable as shown on NOTAM.
Apparently there is de-icing available and has been all week, as stated elsewhere by an employee. Probably a management mix up.

Lyneham Lad
28th Dec 2022, 15:30
Article in The Guardian today.
With weeds on the tarmac, a deserted Southend airport looks to the future (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/28/with-weeds-on-the-tarmac-a-deserted-southend-airport-looks-to-the-future?CMP=share_btn_link)

Snippet:-
Kevin the Carrot, the Aldi supermarket mascot and star of its festive advertising campaign, was pretty much the only passenger due to fly out from Southend airport this Christmas (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/christmas). And even he missed his plane.The airport’s security lanes and departure lounge are the backdrop for the budget supermarket’s pre-Christmas advert (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79CnboGEvcM), a pastiche of a classic 1990s Nike ad featuring the original Ronaldo, in which the adventuring carrot is so busy kicking a ball around the terminal he fails to join his family on their flight.

Aldi has been one of the few morsels of festive cheer for Southend – and a precious source of revenue in a year in which budget airlines and cargo flights have deserted London’s sixth airport. For now, all scheduled flights have ceased, and management face an uphill battle to keep the business afloat.

Click the link for the remainder of the lengthy article, photos etc.

SouthernAlliance
28th Dec 2022, 16:06
Want 40 movements per hour in the future lol :ugh:

LTNman
28th Dec 2022, 18:28
No mention about talking to lots of different airlines.

jmdavies86
28th Dec 2022, 18:55
Anyone know when the outcome of Esken’s strategic review is expected to be announced at all...?

It's been mentioned that the aviation and/or renewables sectors of the business may potentially be put up for sale.

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transport/london-southend-operators-review-considers-possible-aviation-business-sale/150901.article

HZ123
31st Dec 2022, 13:56
Not sure what it is that they have to offer for sale?

LTNman
4th Jan 2023, 11:57
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23224015.southend-airport-chief-executive-wants-take-flights-heathrow/

SOUTHEND (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport should take extra flights from Heathrow Airport to help it return to the heady heights seen before the Covid pandemic, its chief executive has insisted

pabely
4th Jan 2023, 12:40
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23224015.southend-airport-chief-executive-wants-take-flights-heathrow/
Can't wait for Emirates 380s & BA787s lined up on the approach, Oh, you only meant 320/737s, but I am transferring to long haul and have a through Ticket - SEN makes sense then!

LTNman
4th Jan 2023, 13:02
He does seem to be in a dream world but he is paid to sound positive and to promote the airport. So has Southend been contacting national carriers?

compton3bravo
4th Jan 2023, 14:43
I didn't know there was an airport in Rumania called Lasi. Maybe a dog yes but no airport. Did the airport ever get paid for the Blueair flights?

Expressflight
4th Jan 2023, 15:37
I'm afraid John Upton's thoughts in that Echo interview border on the bizarre and I hope he isn't expending too much effort on that 'big idea'.

SKOJB
4th Jan 2023, 15:58
Crikey the guy is utterly delusional if he honestly believes LHR will pass on traffic to an outpost in Essex!

LTNman
4th Jan 2023, 19:12
Well I have always asked what was plan B so maybe this is it. Could the realisation be dawning that low cost carriers are not heading over the hills to rescue Southend? It seems a bit extreme from targeting LCC to now aiming for the other end of the market. Of course this could well be the airport looking for cheap publicity to show the world that they are still here so I welcome it.

pabely
4th Jan 2023, 19:59
Target weekend work at least where LCY cannot offer leisure market runway capacity in making those BACF aircraft work harder would be a start!

Expressflight
5th Jan 2023, 07:28
Target weekend work at least where LCY cannot offer leisure market runway capacity in making those BACF aircraft work harder would be a start!
Unfortunately that opportunity was lost around 5 years ago reportedly due to SEN's inflexibility in not allowing BACF ground staff at the airport. That planned operation could have been quite extensive.

The96er
5th Jan 2023, 09:48
Unfortunately they threw away that opportunity around 5 years ago reportedly due to SEN's inflexibility in not allowing BACF ground staff at the airport.That planned operation was quite an extensive one.

Sounds like a fanciful rumour to me. What ground staff do BACF employ ?

Expressflight
5th Jan 2023, 10:49
Yes, it does sound "a fanciful rumour' doesn't it?

Unfortunately I believe it to be true and I think from memory the operation was planned for the 2018 summer season and it would have involved BACF using their own check-in staff. I know for a fact that at a late stage in the negotiations they canvassed some of their LCY ground staff asking if they would like to transfer to SEN.

pabely
5th Jan 2023, 11:15
Just to employ Stobbart staff on a Saturday & Sunday, might find people unwilling to work say 20 hours / week at weekends only. I think they need to rethink on bringing in BACF staff where required. Could be the kick-start of say Luxair, Lufty & ITA adding but those are more business rather than leisure so maybe not.
From little acorns.......

LTNman
5th Jan 2023, 11:21
Would BACF staff, who must live over a wide area, really want to travel out to Southend for weekend work? I would think they quite like having guaranteed time off.

davidjohnson6
5th Jan 2023, 11:36
Perhaps a little academic if LCY's application for longer opening hours on Saturday afternoon gets even partial approval by Newham council ?

SWBKCB
5th Jan 2023, 11:39
I don't think the details of the arrangements matters, but it does seem to be another example of how Stobart/Esken do seem to do business in their very own way.

A 'blue chip' customer just up the road who have a constraint that means they can't operate for part of the week and you aren't doing everything you can to get their business?

BA318
5th Jan 2023, 12:07
Would BACF staff, who must live over a wide area, really want to travel out to Southend for weekend work? I would think they quite like having guaranteed time off.

They don’t get guaranteed time off. At the moment BACF operate from elsewhere instead including SOU and EDI. They have tried other airports too. So those BACF crew night stop in hotels at the relevant airport.

As an example they will operate on a Sat LCY-IBZ-SOU-MAH-SOU (night stop)-PMI-LCY.

V_2
5th Jan 2023, 16:31
Also worth noting that when BACF were at STN they used handling from Gatwick Ground services and so that was probably also the intention for SEN, which might have proved a showstopper.

They don’t get guaranteed time off
the ground staff do which is what’s being discussed, at least for roughly 24hours during the curfew

Tranceaddict
5th Jan 2023, 17:34
BACF have never employed their own staff to carry out check in/boarding/dispatch functions at LCY it is all contracted to GHAs, Menzies since 2014

At STN it was also Menzies when they started the operations, then from March to August 2018 it was GGS ramp staff, but Menzies check in and boarding agents until Menzies left due to the loss of 2 major contacts making staying at STN no longer financially viable

Expressflight
5th Jan 2023, 18:14
It wasn't going to be just "weekend work". The planned programme was seen as being more extensive than that.

LTNman
5th Jan 2023, 19:51
There used to be a passenger figure many years ago when airports could not monopolise handling and were obliged to allow 3rd party handling.

BA318
5th Jan 2023, 20:41
There used to be a passenger figure many years ago when airports could not monopolise handling and were obliged to allow 3rd party handling.

I believe it was some EU directive so would assume it still applies. I think the figure I heard before was 2mppa.

LTNman
5th Jan 2023, 21:46
Yes that figure rings a bell.

LTNman
6th Jan 2023, 15:52
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23231241.southend-airport-cargo-night-flights-resume-next-week/

“This short-term logistics operation will operate three flights per week, and the income generated will support local jobs,” an airport spokesman said.

So the question is what do the people working on these 3 flights a week do for the rest of their shifts and in fact for the rest of the week?

I can only see it adding to the airport’s losses but I could be wrong?

commit aviation
7th Jan 2023, 07:46
Possibly Royal Mail flights. STN is closed on three nights when the mail would normally operate there - they have to go somewhere.

LTNman
9th Jan 2023, 15:16
Seems Southend is the go to place for filming.

This time it was for British Airways

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23238111.british-airways-filmed-new-uniform-ad-southend-airport/

DC3 Dave
9th Jan 2023, 15:59
Just as well it wasn’t Virgin. Be like a scene from the Rocky Horror Show. Or am I not allowed to say that…..

pabely
9th Jan 2023, 18:24
I see the ASL 734F from Leipzig is booked in, I wonder where the STN ASL Paris & Liege?

pabely
10th Jan 2023, 20:24
The early hours ASL which has been sitting on the ground all day is off to STN before going to Leipzig later. Was that the plan?

LTNman
16th Jan 2023, 12:06
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23252643.southend-airport-teases-new-easyjet-passenger-routes/

Southend Airport looks set to announce new passenger flight routes.

SKOJB
16th Jan 2023, 13:10
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23252643.southend-airport-teases-new-easyjet-passenger-routes/

non based EZY AMS?

DC3 Dave
16th Jan 2023, 13:31
AirportPlanner1 noted the timings on some of the return AGP flights which allow for the addition of AMS.

SKOJB
16th Jan 2023, 21:57
non based EZY AMS?

Confirmed AMS S23 x 2-4 weekly

mikkie4
17th Jan 2023, 00:20
Its a step in the right direction

jdcg
17th Jan 2023, 11:54
Just as well it wasn’t Virgin. Be like a scene from the Rocky Horror Show. Or am I not allowed to say that…..
Of course you're allowed. What's wrong with referencing one of the most popular cult musical films of all time (although I've never seen it - Lol), that celebrates less orthodox or reactionary attitudes to life?

pabely
17th Jan 2023, 17:36
Its a step in the right direction
Or a 'jump to the left' direction!

22/04
17th Jan 2023, 17:39
Would BFS from SEN work operated by a BFS based frame?

I think the best plan is to chink away at EZY atm - and not engage with Ryanair like last time.

pabely
17th Jan 2023, 18:26
Although away based airframes is not ideal I do agree chipping away with EZY and avoiding RYR is preferable. Let them play at fortress STN.
An Airbus may be too large for BFS route.
I still think trying to get into bed with BA with weekend work could work. If they demand their own staff so be it to keep things ticking over until other London Airports have scarce slots so airlines once again approach for alternatives.

LTNman
17th Jan 2023, 20:04
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23256523.easyjet-southend-airport-in-talks-return-airline-base/

Southend Airport bosses are in talks with Easyjet to bring back a base for the budget airline, it has been revealed.

”In terms of the future easyJet is an active partner of ours and we’ve signed a multi-year deal which is fantastic news for our recovery, we talk to them as well as other airlines around the return of other routes”

“It could be two or three years until we see ourselves back at that 2019 2.1million and over 40 destinations flying it could be slightly slower recovery that we ever anticipated."

Let’s hope it happens.

SKOJB
18th Jan 2023, 10:27
Many an airport I’m sure are ‘in talks’ with EZY to base their aircraft, not sure it will happen in the short term however!

DC3 Dave
18th Jan 2023, 11:00
Many an airport I’m sure are ‘in talks’ with EZY to base their aircraft, not sure it will happen in the short term however!

You make a good point. Simply advising EZY you would be delighted to have their aircraft based again at SEN and being told it is not ruled out totally could be described as being in talks at an extreme push. Being in detailed talks or negotiations is something else completely and you be keeping very quiet about it I suspect.

Expressflight
18th Jan 2023, 11:29
There is a difference between that situation and having "signed a multi-year partnership agreement with easyJet". But, hey, don't let that fact cloud your judgement.

SKOJB
18th Jan 2023, 13:18
There is a difference between that situation and having "signed a multi-year partnership agreement with easyJet". But, hey, don't let that fact cloud your judgement.

Apologies, wasn’t aware they had signed one and assumed the original was ripped up when EZY walked out!

Expressflight
18th Jan 2023, 13:58
Esken issued a statement to the Stock Exchange yesterday announcing the easyJet partnership agreement. I don't know its duration (or should I say its intended duration) but it's definitely a step forward I feel.

LTNman
24th Jan 2023, 18:27
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23269804.southend-airport-one-busiest-weeks-recorrd/

Size doesn’t matter
Southend (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport had one of its busiest weeks with more than 1,000 planes touching the runway last week.

SouthernAlliance
24th Jan 2023, 20:51
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23269804.southend-airport-one-busiest-weeks-recorrd/

Size doesn’t matter

Guess you have to give the airport credit but boy is this desperate times having to report these headlines!

LTNman
25th Jan 2023, 17:26
https://simpleflying.com/london-southend-airport-lost-69-destinations-10-years/

Analysis of Southend's network using Cirium reveals that Southend has lost 69 destinations since January 2013
https://i.imgur.com/J2s1wp8.jpg

AirportPlanner1
25th Jan 2023, 18:17
https://simpleflying.com/london-southend-airport-lost-69-destinations-10-years/

Not sure it’s fair to include both MJV and RMU!

I’m not sure KRS ever operated, given lockdown commenced before it was to transfer from STN.

LTNman
1st Feb 2023, 17:05
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23291733.southend-airport-increases-airspace-easyjet-adds-flights/

Southend (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport has increased its airspace size with the hope to attract potential airlines amid new flights​​​​​​

Bee Rexit
2nd Mar 2023, 09:06
Southend Airport up for sale. Esken selling off parts of the business.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-02/london-southend-airport-up-for-sale-as-esken-begins-breakup

LTNman
2nd Mar 2023, 11:50
I have been predicting this for years.

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/southend-airport-up-sale-owners-8205256

SKOJB
2nd Mar 2023, 12:02
Hardly a sustainable business model if you rely on over capacity at other airports in order to attract increased revenues, always open to market volatility!

The96er
2nd Mar 2023, 18:26
Does the sale also include other aspects of their aviation business such as their ground handling business?

Flightmech
3rd Mar 2023, 16:20
Let's hope it stays as an airport or it will likely be a second Vulcan destined for the breakers yard.

davidjohnson6
3rd Mar 2023, 16:23
In the early 1990s, London City airport had a few tough years before finally coming good. I seem to recall during this period there was some speculation as to whether LCY should be closed

cavokblues
3rd Mar 2023, 18:14
Unfortunately, I fear there are more similarities between Southend and Manston in terms of commercial operations then there are Southend and City.

I just don't see what the USP of SEN would be unless the other airports are full.

Expressflight
4th Mar 2023, 08:21
One thing to bear in mind is that any future owner of SEN will likely not be constrained by Esken's current policy that any airline/route deals made must be on normal commercial terms. In other words each deal must produce a sound commercial return to Esken from its commencement.

This was a necessity to obtain sufficient outside funding to keep SEN running and replaced what appeared to be the previous negotiating policy of offering very attractive commercial terms which included substantial marketing assistance and other incentives. The ability to reinstate something similar under new owners may result in more successful negotiations with potential airlines in the future.

All this is speculative on my part but is based on previous Esken Stock Exchange notifications and statements in Stobart Annual Results over the past few years. These inform the background to my suggestion of that possibility.

LTNman
4th Mar 2023, 08:38
Let's hope it stays as an airport or it will likely be a second Vulcan destined for the breakers yard.

People here are forgetting that the airport is owned by Southend Council and not Esken and is leased to the airport operator. They can sell the remaining years of the lease under its section 106 agreement and that's it.

https://saeninfo.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/southend-gov-uk-reveiw-106-agreement-att19220.pdf

SWBKCB
4th Mar 2023, 08:42
One thing to bear in mind is that any future owner of SEN will likely not be constrained by Esken's current policy that any airline/route deals made must be on normal commercial terms. In other words each deal must produce a sound commercial return to Esken from its commencement.

So EZY have no inducements to operate from SEN?

Also, no mention of Carlisle in the recent announcements - do they have plans, or have they just forgotten?! Based on past performance, I know where my money is! :ok:

pabely
4th Mar 2023, 08:44
Does the sale also include other aspects of their aviation business such as their ground handling business?
"The sale of the airport would include the company's logistics provider Star Handling as well."

LTNman
5th Mar 2023, 19:06
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23363234.southend-airport-bound-plane-diverted-stansted-raf-jets/

Skipness One Foxtrot
6th Mar 2023, 00:01
Why does the Ryanair app have Brest and Bilbao as booking options with no dates?

Expressflight
6th Mar 2023, 07:13
Just a glitch I should imagine.

Flightmech
6th Mar 2023, 14:31
Almost 100% certain that this US registered Dash 8 on a ferry didn't have radio equipment with the required 8.33Khz spacing for European Ops. Will only be usuable on some frequencies if not. Massive oversight by the ferry company.

davidjohnson6
6th Mar 2023, 14:52
Why does the Ryanair app have Brest and Bilbao as booking options with no dates?
Ryanair are very slow (and that's being kind to them) at removing routes from their website and app when they cease flying routes. More surprising is they sometimes forget to add a route to the app even when it's being actively sold on the website
I believe that as of spring 2020, FR intended to fly these 2 routes for summer 2020, but I think Southend-Brest was canned before lockdown was suspended for peak summer 2020

LTNman
9th Mar 2023, 06:52
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23371940.southend-airport-sale-hinge-easyjet-dependance/

SOUTHEND (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport’s “total dependence” on easyJet and slow pandemic recovery could spook potential buyers, an aviation expert has claimed.

Maybe the new owners need to take a leaf out of Blackpool’s book? Admit defeat, abandon any thoughts that there is money to be made from terminal operations, reduce staff numbers due to no terminal and focus on the rest of the assets.

Expressflight
9th Mar 2023, 11:52
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23371940.southend-airport-sale-hinge-easyjet-dependance/

Maybe the new owners need to take a leaf out of Blackpool’s book? Admit defeat, abandon any thoughts that there is money to be made from terminal operations, reduce staff numbers due to no terminal and focus on the rest of the assets.

With due respect I don't see any relevant similarity between SEN and BLK. In the years prior to it closing its passenger terminal the latter never saw sufficient pax numbers to suggest it could be anything but borderline in terms of profitability. Given the right circumstances SEN has shown that it could generate 2mppa. Their problem was that circumstances changed almost overnight due to Covid which restructured the airline landscape at LON airports and released slots elsewhere, thus the current regrowth is soaking up those slots. SEN's location dictates that it will rarely be an airline's first choice for LON but first choices may become rare again in 2024. What I would agree on is that the price it fetches is will be based upon its proven performance in certain circumstances and its potential to grow again, meaning that its sale value will be less than other LON airports would have. In my opinion that makes it far from unsaleable and a new owner may see opportunities for other aviation activities to be developed/revived alongside the passenger terminal revenues.

I don't think it's far fetched to think that SEN may have grown its pax numbers over the past three years beyond the 2mppa had it not been for Covid.

SKOJB
9th Mar 2023, 11:59
However it’s a big risk for potential owners knowing that the airports business model is underpinned heavily on over capacity elsewhere and the possibility that this can change at a moments notice

Expressflight
9th Mar 2023, 12:22
However it’s a big risk for potential owners knowing that the airports business model is underpinned heavily on over capacity elsewhere and the possibility that this can change at a moments notice

True, but I think the business model shouldn't be so sharply focused on terminal pax as previously under Esken ownership
Think back to autumn 2019. That LON under-capacity wasn't seen as at all likely to disappear any time soon and SEN was doing quite nicely out of it; it took a once-every-hundred years event to derail everything. That sort of "moments notice" is extremely rare.

22/04
9th Mar 2023, 12:53
How much MRO is there at SEN now?

EZY will make money out of SEN or they wouldn't have come back and they ae introducing new routes- OK it's not a base but who cares. There must be a Bizjet (some terminal some parking ) to tap into. Some money from commercial training - they have KLM - Cambridge will close leaving only Cranfield for this activity. I presume they have a freight shed- another asset.

Sitting here I think SEN has done very well to get EZY back and as traffic recovers it has every hope of returning to 2 million PPA together with diverse activity in time.

You guys are all a bit glum if you ask me.

Andy_S
9th Mar 2023, 12:56
With due respect I don't see any relevant similarity between SEN and BLK. In the years prior to it closing its passenger terminal the latter never saw sufficient pax numbers to suggest it could be anything but borderline in terms of profitability. Given the right circumstances SEN has shown that it could generate 2mppa.

SEN may hypothetically have demonstrated that "in the right circumstances" it could get passengers through the doors. But I think there was real doubt that it ever made a penny under Stobart / Esken, even pre-pandemic.

LTNman
9th Mar 2023, 14:20
In 2021 Stansted won its appeal to expand to 43 million. Luton is awaiting a public enquiry decision to add another million with a DCO submitted for 32m. So where is the pending over capacity that allowed Southend to thrive in 2019? I would like to see Southend thrive again but maybe it can only thrive without a terminal?

LTNman
13th Mar 2023, 22:09
I see Southend handled a BA diversion today so has the terminal reopened?

mikkie4
13th Mar 2023, 22:45
Sad to say it came in empty from BERLIN

Expressflight
14th Mar 2023, 08:21
Sad to say it came in empty from BERLIN

Handled by the Jet Centre presumably.

mikkie4
14th Mar 2023, 18:42
KEY AERO, have reported that BINTA CANARIA are looking to expand into LCY, If SEN managment have got a brain cell between them they should try and get them into our airport

davidjohnson6
14th Mar 2023, 19:13
KEY AERO, have reported that BINTA CANARIA are looking to expand into LCY, If SEN managment have got a brain cell between them they should try and get them into our airport
Why should Binter choose Southend instead of other London airports, unless SEN management offer some ultra-cheap fees deal ? If an E195-E2 can fly non-stop from LCY to the Canaries without the risk of diverting for fuel, this sounds like a route with strong commercial potential for Binter

pabely
14th Mar 2023, 21:05
Super smart move by Binter, can't see why they would consider SEN over LCY, much better yield.
Next someone will suggest Swiss or ITA should move to SEN!

AirportPlanner1
14th Mar 2023, 22:49
I see Southend handled a BA diversion today so has the terminal reopened?

This is the first BA movement in a long time, even if empty. Does this represent a warming of relations or just a necessity?

Expressflight
15th Mar 2023, 08:32
This is the first BA movement in a long time, even if empty. Does this represent a warming of relations or just a necessity?

There was no cooling of relationships as far as I know. It is simply that the terminal is closed in winter so passenger diversions cannot be accepted. Numerous times BACF have asked if SEN could accept them as did KLM just last week. On the subject of Binter I agree that LCY is likely to be more attractive to them but SEN should surely try to start a conversation with them.

daz211
15th Mar 2023, 08:38

I don’t want to come across rude, But it’s going to take a lot more than a few Binter flights to save SEN.
Binter wouldn’t risk launching SEN, we don’t even know if it’s going to be a shopping complex, industrial estate or remain as a fully functioning airport in the future.

DC3 Dave
15th Mar 2023, 09:54
It took 10 years for Stobart to grow the airport from zero to 2 million pax p.a. From where SEN is now and being able to demonstrate a fair number of successful routes I don’t think it will take anything like that timescale to get back to 2019 levels and beyond. Does depend one one key factor though. Demand must challenge capacity in the south-east. Airlines must want growth and feel restricted elsewhere to come.

Way too premature to write the airport off.

Barling Magna
15th Mar 2023, 09:58
Super smart move by Binter, can't see why they would consider SEN over LCY, much better yield.
Next someone will suggest Swiss or ITA should move to SEN!

Yes, I suspect the only Binter movements SEN will see will be diversions. But no harm in trying, of course.

davidjohnson6
15th Mar 2023, 10:15
Yes, I suspect the only Binter movements SEN will see will be diversions. But no harm in trying, of course.
No harm in having a phone conversation... but Binter flying London-Canaries with an E195-E2 would seem to be very focussed towards LCY.

SEN business development need to focus on potential customers where they have some sort of advantage or can provide something their competitors can't, instead of hoping to gain business while being an airline's 5th ranked choice. Pick the fights they can win.

Expressflight
15th Mar 2023, 11:34
SEN business development need to focus on potential customers where they have some sort of advantage or can provide something their competitors can't, instead of hoping to gain business while being an airline's 5th ranked choice. Pick the fights they can win.

It's often quite difficult to identify exactly which airlines you should target. Back in the day I'd often be surprised that the obvious choices showed no interest while a left-field operator was keen to talk. At this stage I would be talking to as many operators as possible who operate equipment suitable for SEN operations without trying to second guess the likelihood of success.

LTNman
18th Mar 2023, 16:03
I might be wrong but the airports website looks like it has had a makeover

https://southendairport.com

daz211
18th Mar 2023, 19:13
I might be wrong but the airports website looks like it has had a makeover

https://southendairport.com

£7 for FastTrack, that’s a bit cheeky.
is there really a call for it.

V_2
18th Mar 2023, 20:36
£7 for FastTrack, that’s a bit cheeky.
is there really a call for it.

Dunno about SEN but in quiet times some airports are known to close lanes or just make you wait at the body scanner to generate a queue, so that fast track customers perceive they are skipping something. Same thing happens where there’s fast track passport control

SWBKCB
18th Mar 2023, 21:55
Advertising a Lapland trip for December 2024 - God loves an optimist!

AirportPlanner1
19th Mar 2023, 08:27
That’s actually quite interesting as it presumably means they’re expecting a winter programme. Doubt taking the terminal out of mothballs and getting in the staff in would be worth it for a one-off.

SWBKCB
19th Mar 2023, 08:41
That’s actually quite interesting as it presumably means they’re expecting a winter programme. Doubt taking the terminal out of mothballs and getting in the staff in would be worth it for a one-off.

You are applying logic to the situation - this is Esken...

Expressflight
19th Mar 2023, 08:55
You are applying logic to the situation - this is Esken...
SEN will have new owners well before December 2024 no doubt. It's who they will be and what plans they will have which will be of importance.

Cloud1
19th Mar 2023, 11:01
I find SEN quite an interesting airport - they have gone from being really quite busy pre Covid to barely anything.

Is the airport ever likely to recover to what it once was? Easyjet appear to be dipping their toe again but I imagine there is a lot of cost at maintaining border control, airport handling staff for passenger operations etc for such a minimal list of destinations and frequency?

pabely
19th Mar 2023, 12:13
We're Esken actually making money when the throughput was 2M? We know RYR would screw any airport down to almost zero cost or you pay us.

DC3 Dave
23rd Mar 2023, 11:32
When the Business Development Director of the airport believes that Groningen is a French city I wonder if there is much hope left anymore.

I would like to think he was misquoted.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23406391.southend-airport-announces-plans-french-city-dinard/

SWBKCB
23rd Mar 2023, 15:18
I'm sure that Expressflight will clarify, but isn't this going back to one of the original Stobart concepts - offer a London destination to those secondary cities that don't have a London service.

The big question is who would operate such flights, the pool of candidates is a lot smaller (I know, they could start their own.... :O)

Expressflight
23rd Mar 2023, 16:48
I'm sure that Expressflight will clarify, but isn't this going back to one of the original Stobart concepts - offer a London destination to those secondary cities that don't have a London service.

The big question is who would operate such flights, the pool of candidates is a lot smaller (I know, they could start their own.... :O)
Yes, apart from Dinard (which was a RYR route to STN) all the others were operated by Stobart Air under a Flybe franchise until Esken decided to close down STK. As you say "who would (now) operate such flights" there being a greater scarcity of suitable small operators than ever before. They would though make up a viable network so could possibly interest an existing operator in basing an aircraft at SEN, although adding another route or three (like Strasbourg?) could keep two aircraft busy and give more flexibility. I'm sure all the possible candidates will be approached.

davidjohnson6
23rd Mar 2023, 17:15
I thought Dinard CCI / local Govt decided that it wasn't worth subsidising the airport to the level required to retain Ryanair, and made many of the airport staff redundant. St Malo is just across the harbour and has regular and very large ferries to Portsmouth and Poole - the local council decided this was a better way to attract UK-resident tourists
Last summer, the doors of Dinard's terminal were locked and the lights turned off - it felt very much like a general aviation aerodrome rather than an airport. The only "scheduled" flights to Deauville + Geneva that took place were classed as private flights. Deauville, relatively nearby, is about to open a brand new arrivals terminal - the new departures section will (I think) open in 2024. Brest, Rennes and Caen nearby are all properly open, fully functioning and equipped to handle passenger flights from the UK. Even Cherbourg airport (at a push) currently has the ability to handle an A320/B737 as long as it's not when the UK ferry is in port.
St Malo is a beautiful town, while Dinard across the harbour has a wonderful beach - both are lovely to visit in summer. I would happily buy a ticket from London to Dinard... but will Dinard's terminal really be re-opened and staff hired along with all the formalities needed for a Schengen border for a handful of prop flights to Southend ?!?!

Separately - the Echo article quotes Nigel Mayes as saying Rennes no longer has service to London. Easyjet flying from Gatwick may have a different opinion.
The Echo article makes me think somebody at SEN has had an idea, and decided the first thing to do is tell the news media all about it before checking whether the idea is feasible

DC3 Dave
28th Mar 2023, 10:17
Summer 2023 is almost with us. Right now it is all hands to the pump in the terminal: floors being polished, shelves being stacked with drink and snacks airside. CEO John Upton is no doubt checking that each cubicle has an adequate supply of toilet paper for all those nervous tummies.

In the morning the queue for the car parks, the fight to exit the train with bulging cases before the doors start to close leaving poor Johnny or Kevin left behind. Come on, hurry up! they all mutter waiting in line to hand over their baggage. That nagging doubt, Is that our flight number - is this the right desk?

Time pressing now, squeezing through security. At last! A heaving horde of humanity wandering headless in departures. If only they would display our gate number we could start to relax.

It sure feels good to be back.

strawberry Ribena
28th Mar 2023, 17:17
Summer 2023 is almost with us. Right now it is all hands to the pump in the terminal: floors being polished, shelves being stacked with drink and snacks airside. CEO John Upton is no doubt checking that each cubicle has an adequate supply of toilet paper for all those nervous tummies.

In the morning the queue for the car parks, the fight to exit the train with bulging cases before the doors start to close leaving poor Johnny or Kevin left behind. Come on, hurry up! they all mutter waiting in line to hand over their baggage. That nagging doubt, Is that our flight number - is this the right desk?

Time pressing now, squeezing through security. At last! A heaving horde of humanity wandering headless in departures. If only they would display our gate number we could start to relax.

It sure feels good to be back.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x1136/859137cf_80b0_4f31_b68b_479eabddffa1_cdaa5c7bbd1df7845b88160 44f6a407e9b463791.png
According to easyJet only 1 cafe be open!

AirportPlanner1
28th Mar 2023, 17:27
The first two outbounds are full and the third next week has limited seats at high cost. Perhaps EZY were too quick to reduce the schedule all those months ago.

LTNman
29th Mar 2023, 20:16
I can count 11 airport workers in this screen shot. I wonder what Easyjet is paying for this flight to be handled yesterday and what did they do for the rest of their shift.
https://i.imgur.com/EB6irQi.jpg

LTNman
29th Mar 2023, 21:27
Actually I can now count 12 as one is almost hiding behind a black pillar and two are almost merged but are wearing different coloured hi viz

N707ZS
29th Mar 2023, 22:24
Have you missed one at the top of the strange steps!!

LTNman
30th Mar 2023, 02:17
Well spotted, that makes 13.

DC3 Dave
30th Mar 2023, 06:26
Well spotted, that makes 13.

I would imagine that many of them would be trainees, experiencing the real thing for the first time.

LTNman
30th Mar 2023, 09:09
Like drinking tea between random movements. Sounds like the perfect job.

N707ZS
30th Mar 2023, 13:33
Hands in pockets talking they look well trained.

ericlday
30th Mar 2023, 14:33
Tradition says one working another supervising, H & S taking note, another to pass the tools and the important job......T boy (sorry person )

pabely
30th Mar 2023, 18:24
Like drinking tea between random movements. Sounds like the perfect job.
Doubt there will be time for tea, start early. Checkin pax. Close checkin. Process arrivals, process departures, lockup, see ya later, zero hours contract.

V_2
30th Mar 2023, 18:58
14, there is one in the tug no?

pabely
30th Mar 2023, 19:20
Probably need that many people to push that fairground ride of Jetbridge steps about!

V_2
30th Mar 2023, 21:05
Probably need that many people to push that fairground ride of Jetbridge steps about!

i think Norwich or perhaps it was Exeter has something similar. Jokes aside I believe it’s so they don’t need to purchase an ambulift as it’s actually just a ramp so wheelchairs can come on and off. The ones I saw had stairs on the side for time pressed crew/staff to take a shortcut

Sotonsean
30th Mar 2023, 21:58
i think Norwich or perhaps it was Exeter has something similar. Jokes aside I believe it’s so they don’t need to purchase an ambulift as it’s actually just a ramp so wheelchairs can come on and off. The ones I saw had stairs on the side for time pressed crew/staff to take a shortcut

The one in the photo also has stairs on the side for the reasons you have mentioned.

Southampton Airport also have similar ramps to the one in the photo. As ridiculous as they look, surely they are more practical than regular stairs. Especially for the elderly and for those hauling a bag or even wheelchair bound.

southender
31st Mar 2023, 07:57
The one in the photo also has stairs on the side for the reasons you have mentioned.

Southampton Airport also have similar ramps to the one in the photo. As ridiculous as they look, surely they are more practical than regular stairs. Especially for the elderly and for those hauling a bag or even wheelchair bound.

From watching the video, it would appear that the wheelchair bound passengers were taken round the other side of the aircraft, I did not see any disabled traveller using the ramp.

Expressflight
31st Mar 2023, 13:26
From watching the video, it would appear that the wheelchair bound passengers were taken round the other side of the aircraft, I did not see any disabled traveller using the ramp.
Whenever I've boarded via those ramps I found them more comfortable - an age thing I suppose. Also from what I've observed the wheelchair pax were normally boarded via those as well; maybe that's different this year.

LTNman
1st Apr 2023, 05:14
One hell of a slope for someone to push a wheelchair up. Maybe H&S rules have kicked in to save a few backs.

DC3 Dave
1st Apr 2023, 10:08
One hell of a slope for someone to push a wheelchair up. Maybe H&S rules have kicked in to save a few backs.

A difficult slope for some perhaps. But surely a step in the right direction.

Expressflight
1st Apr 2023, 14:43
Looking at the turn round video I see SEN now have a wheelchair cabin lift vehicle that gives access to the forward starboard service door. I would have thought they would always have had that but I don't remember seeing it there before so presumably that has replaced the ramp loading method.

EssexMan61
6th Apr 2023, 14:07
I was passing by the Airport at about 1415 today and a British Airways plane was just coming in to land. I am just curious - does anyone know if this was simply a diversion?

DC3 Dave
6th Apr 2023, 14:18
I was passing by the Airport at about 1415 today and a British Airways plane was just coming in to land. I am just curious - does anyone know if this was simply a diversion?

Still doing a circuit. Has there been a thawing of relations and the once regular training flights returned?

colinhunn
6th Apr 2023, 20:06
This training detail had been planned for Norwich but they switched to Southend at the last minute which I assume was due to weather.

LTNman
9th Apr 2023, 17:51
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23443175.southend-airport-ceo-lays-vision-future/

fatmed
9th Apr 2023, 19:01
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23443175.southend-airport-ceo-lays-vision-future/
behind a paywall. Anything useful said ?

BA318
9th Apr 2023, 19:31
behind a paywall. Anything useful said ?

Theres no paywall. It’s the local paper.

SKOJB
9th Apr 2023, 20:11
Most regionals have already started to bounce back nicely, SEN hasn’t and hence questions need to be asked as to why!

Le Tirer
9th Apr 2023, 20:18
Theres no paywall. It’s the local paper.

Sorry, it might be the local paper, but I get the following message when I try to read the article:

Subscribe to read this article
Stay better connected to your community with our local news coverage. Enjoy a 1-month trial for just £1 and stand a chance of winning egg-citing prizes.

SWBKCB
9th Apr 2023, 20:37
No paywall for me!

Encouragingly, we are in detailed discussions with a wide range of airlines and have the proven data on the airport’s 40+ pre-pandemic routes, which were mostly highly profitable for airlines. We really are in a great position for growth.What does the landscape look like? What does Southend Airport (http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23390675.southend-airport-wants-new-air-traffic-control-officer/) look like in one, two and five years’ time? What’s the customer base like over that period? What new flights to you believe will be on offer?

In five years’ time, and ideally sooner, I’d expect us to be well ahead of where we were in 2019. Alongside our own commercial activities to make this a reality, we also get the benefit of being part of the growing London aviation market; in fact, it is the world’s largest aviation system with over 180 million passengers travelling each year. Capacity for airlines in other airports across the capital is fast reaching a cliff edge and we offer a clear pathway to profitable growth for a range of airlines now and the future.

More than 8 million people live within one hour of the airport, and we serve the fast-growing and increasingly affluent east London, Essex and east of England catchment area.

Conversations with airlines are ongoing particularly around unlocking new routes and basing aircraft with us as we re-establish and grow our business back to, and beyond, the 40+ routes we had previously.

We have partnered with easyJet for many years now and the growth from three to four routes this year is a further demonstration of a strong relationship between us.

In terms of other airlines, we’re leveraging our attractive London location, our unclaimed catchment area and our low operating costs (lowest in London we think). We also have the fastest taxiing times and in-house handling operation, so we consider ourselves to be an easy to work with ‘one-stop-shop’ for potential airline partners.

With our coastal location, we are naturally closer to Europe and, by operating our own airspace which has recently been increased, airline partners don’t have to navigate through the ‘spaghetti junction’ of airspace over London when they fly London Southend – it’s a really compelling proposition.

fatmed
9th Apr 2023, 20:39
No paywall for me!
thanks for posting

LTNman
27th Apr 2023, 17:52
https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/southend-airport-in-detailed-discussions-8380824

More of the same then. I wonder if Alicante is one of them. lol

An Essex airport is "in detailed discussions" with airlines for more than 60 new routes, the airport's CEO has said. John Upton, CEO of London Southend Airport, has said that many new routes are being planned from the seaside city, as the airport 're-starts' afresh following the pandemic.

SouthernAlliance
27th Apr 2023, 18:27
Oh please do me a favour, 60 new routes lol 🤣

Falcon666
27th Apr 2023, 19:21

No , more than 60 he thinks- it’s the usual drivel aimed to keep investors happy but I am not sure how many tune in to Essex live😬

Barling Magna
28th Apr 2023, 08:20

They certainly should be seeking detailed discussions with airlines over as many new routes as possible. However............chances of success are low. Very low until slots are no longer available at the other London airports. In the meantime they should also be seeking as many alternative income streams as possible.

pabely
28th Apr 2023, 12:56
Not upsetting one of their (via AirLivery) customers in having insufficient fire cover today would help!

DC3 Dave
28th Apr 2023, 14:03
Not upsetting one of their (via AirLivery) customers in having insufficient fire cover today would help!

One came in to replace one going out and just about to leave. Temporary problem I guess.

Falcon666
29th Apr 2023, 07:37
If it’s true about the rumours of a new Jet2 base somewhere , maybe those comments recently are hinting at a 3/4 base- that would put a dent in the 60+ routes.
with STN up the road does anybody locally really think this is viable?

daz211
29th Apr 2023, 07:56
If it’s true about the rumours of a new Jet2 base somewhere , maybe those comments recently are hinting at a 3/4 base- that would put a dent in the 60+ routes.
with STN up the road does anybody locally really think this is viable?

Does SEN have time restrictions on take offs and landings.
can SEN take scheduled arrivals 00:01 - 02:30.
Jet2 have a very full summer schedule with 2nd wave departures arriving back after midnight.

pabely
29th Apr 2023, 12:47
Southend Airport Web site say 23:00 cutoff.

"Whilst passenger flights may only be scheduled between 06:30 – 23:00 (a limited number between 23:00 – 23:30) delayed aircraft may still operate back to Southend during the night-time period.

This was considered as part of the planning application for the runway extension; Southend City Council, Rochford District Council and Essex County Council agreed that as London Southend Airport had always been operational during the night-time, and was already a diversion destination for other airports, and it was reasonable for delayed passenger flight to be able to return passenger back to Southend when there no other suitable alternative airports in the London area."

That must put it at serious disadvantage vs other airports in making maximum usage of and airplane during the day and thus the airlines bottom line.
Looking at tonight, Jet2 have 10 arrivals at MAN, 6 at LBA and 3 at STN after 23:00.

V_2
29th Apr 2023, 14:07
IF any Jet2 aircraft were based at Southend, to get around the night curfew the night flights could be operated from STN instead, were slots presumably aren’t a problem. It would add complexity but allow better utilisation. So something like 0730 SEN-LPA-SEN-AGP-STN-AGP-SEN landing just after 0630am.

cavokblues
29th Apr 2023, 14:10
It would create a headache for crewing and getting crew back to their cars at either airport and the logistics and expense involved.

rog747
29th Apr 2023, 14:29
I cannot see Jet2 coming to make a base at SEN (as much as folk and spotters may like it) because their newish base up the road at STN is doing rather well -
However the opportunity is there for them if they were to take the risk (but Jet2 tend not to take risks, and SEN's operational hours are too restrictive to an IT airline).

They won't go to LGW - Jet2 like to self-handle and I'm not sure they would be able to at LGW, plus the slots issue and the high costs.

pug
29th Apr 2023, 14:38
They won't go to LGW - Jet2 like to self-handle and I'm not sure they would be able to at LGW, plus the slots issue and the high costs.

This is the thing.. Jet2 have already made it known they would like to get in to LGW, so unless anything has changed those issues you highlight (with the possible exception of slot shortage) are clearly not insurmountable.

Agree regarding SEN. Seems far too close to STN, although with the proximity to London stranger things have happened. Still, Jet2 employ a cautious approach to growth and this is one of the many reasons that they have done so well so far. You don’t generate revenue the way they do by competing with themselves. If they are to pursue growth at smaller airports then I think there are a few others they would look at first.

rog747
29th Apr 2023, 14:46
This is the thing.. Jet2 have already made it known they would like to get in to LGW, so unless anything has changed those issues you highlight (with the possible exception of slot shortage) are clearly not insurmountable.

Agree regarding SEN. Seems far too close to STN, although with the proximity to London stranger things have happened. Still, Jet2 employ a cautious approach to growth and this is one of the many reasons that they have done so well so far. You don’t generate revenue the way they do by competing with themselves. If they are to pursue growth at smaller airports then I think there are a few others they would look at first.

Cool, understood - If Jet 2 do want to go to LGW then I could see that now as they have overtaken TUI as the #1 UK's Tour Operator and they (Jet2) do not as yet fly from Gatwick ! -
So they would be going head to head with them (TUI)
Risky, possibly the biggest risk that Jet2 may ever do to now.

DC3 Dave
29th Apr 2023, 14:57

Neither easyJet or Ryanair took a negative attitude towards basing aircraft at SEN. They believed they could fill the seats at both locations or they would not have come. Jet2 seem to know exactly what they are doing and as Covid memories fade smart companies will want to take advantage of opportunities that are out there before someone else does.

pug
29th Apr 2023, 15:18
Neither easyJet or Ryanair took a negative attitude towards basing aircraft at SEN. They believed they could fill the seats at both locations or they would not have come. Jet2 seem to know exactly what they are doing and as Covid memories fade smart companies will want to take advantage of opportunities that are out there before someone else does.

Ryanair and Easyjet are not Jet2, they also pulled out of SEN so perhaps not a good example of why it is a viable proposition.

Airbanda
30th Apr 2023, 08:53
Ryanair and Easyjet are not Jet2, they also pulled out of SEN so perhaps not a good example of why it is a viable proposition.

They went there pre-pandemic to add capacity that was not available at STN etc. Until now, those constraints have not re-emerged but will do so soon. They operated within the constraints of SEN's curfew and no doubt any other operator can make it work too.

pabely
30th Apr 2023, 09:25
Well course they will, there is no other option but remember SEN was one of the first things to go in the downturn. CEOs will cut things making the least money and hold the greatest risk. It is not as if this risk might show a big reward.
For that reason I do not see a Jet2 base.
It is well known RYR snd EZY forced big discounts thus little or no profit for the airport operator, selling it onto someone who's core business is running other airports is the priority now so all this potential is geared towards that rather than anything else. If they have airlines queueing up, why sell the asset?

LTNman
1st May 2023, 04:54
Busy bank holiday Monday at Southend. The airport’s losses must be mounting daily so how long can this carry on?

https://i.imgur.com/ptJmnWA.jpg