PDA

View Full Version : Southend-3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

DC3 Dave
1st May 2023, 11:28
Busy bank holiday Monday at Southend. The airport’s losses must be mounting daily so how long can this carry on?

https://i.imgur.com/ptJmnWA.jpg

Even worse, due to the French, it departed nearly 3 hours late so no doubt some overtime has been worked. The good news is that all other departures today are unaffected.

AirportPlanner1
1st May 2023, 12:30
Even worse, due to the French, it departed nearly 3 hours late so no doubt some overtime has been worked. The good news is that all other departures today are unaffected.

I suspect from experience the pax were boarded and they awaited clearance in which case overtime would have been limited. On the other hand if pax were stuck in the terminal some money could have been made on extra bar sales

pabely
1st May 2023, 12:59
Is the Bar open yet, Airport Web site says:
"Pleased to announce that WHSmith, World Duty Free and The Pilot Bar will reopen from early May - SKYCAFÉ (https://southendairport.com/at-the-airport/eating-drinking/skycafe/) is now open."?
Maybe a few extra coffees and pastries.
I believe they do have a small fridge though with a handful of bottles in it.

DC3 Dave
1st May 2023, 13:08
Is the Bar open yet, Airport Web site says:
"Pleased to announce that WHSmith, World Duty Free and The Pilot Bar will reopen from early May - SKYCAFÉ (https://southendairport.com/at-the-airport/eating-drinking/skycafe/) is now open."?
Maybe a few extra coffees and pastries.
I believe they do have a small fridge though with a handful of bottles in it.

WH Smith and Duty Free opened today, sadly the bar closed until Wednesday.

Goes to prove that you don’t necessarily need a range of airside outlets. The flight was sold out.

SWBKCB
1st May 2023, 13:27
And how much did the airport make? The airside outlets aren't for the passengers benefit...

DC3 Dave
1st May 2023, 13:49
And how much did the airport make? The airside outlets aren't for the passengers benefit...

My unreliable source tells me the collection tins were full.

mikkie4
1st May 2023, 22:04
Only 25 seats left for Wednesdays flight to Palma Not bad for only the 2nd flight

AirportPlanner1
24th May 2023, 07:05
Amsterdam and Faro re-launch today.

One to watch is the announcement by EZY of a base in Alicante.

The seat map currently shows 130 seats occupied to AMS, 39 on the return. FAO outbound has 174, inbound about 100.

AirportPlanner1
24th May 2023, 21:49
Winter 23/24 flights and a new route now on sale - the return of CDG on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun

DC3 Dave
25th May 2023, 13:25
Does anyone know what happened to Air Horizont and their two based aircraft?

pamann
25th May 2023, 13:32
Winter 23/24 flights and a new route now on sale - the return of CDG on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun

Am I right in thinking the bucket & spade routes are summer only?

if that’s the case that leaves four flights a week to Paris and a one-off charter day trip to Lapland?

How deep are the owners pockets?

Doncaster couldn’t survive with more flights than that in a day.

Unless something changes or someone has money to burn, how does Southend stay open?

AirportPlanner1
25th May 2023, 13:56
Am I right in thinking the bucket & spade routes are summer only?

if that’s the case that leaves four flights a week to Paris and a one-off charter day trip to Lapland

Correct for now although further routes have been strongly hinted. EZY new routes are normally released in batches. I would not be surprised to see Geneva return, and possibly Lyon given it was a previous ski season route and a base.

AMS isn’t currently on sale but again I wouldn’t be surprised to see it added in due course.

SKOJB
25th May 2023, 15:12
Any amount of EZY away based flying as a stand-alone is not going to financially support the airport for long. They desperately require some basing by airlines that will provide regular footfall and will spend ancillary money at the car parks and terminal outlets

mikkie4
25th May 2023, 19:12
DC3 Dave Air Horizont Due in tomorrow from PALMA MALLORCA

DC3 Dave
25th May 2023, 19:59
DC3 Dave Air Horizont Due in tomorrow from PALMA MALLORCA

Thank you Mikkie. I thought they might have deserted us and we don’t need that!

mikkie4
25th May 2023, 21:54
When do the ALICANTE EZY based flights go on sale? fingers crossed that SEN is one of the destinations

DC3 Dave
26th May 2023, 08:51
When do the ALICANTE EZY based flights go on sale? fingers crossed that SEN is one of the destinations

Some time yet before tickets as Alicante will be another of their seasonal bases commencing summer 2024. I guess an announcement will be timed as EZY see fit (fingers crossed).

DC3 Dave
26th May 2023, 13:47
Any amount of EZY away based flying as a stand-alone is not going to financially support the airport for long. They desperately require some basing by airlines that will provide regular footfall and will spend ancillary money at the car parks and terminal outlets

I think EZY basing aircraft again is very much on the cards but they have chosen a different way of getting there. That is surely where CDG and AMS come in. Add Jersey if aircraft are based at SEN and you will have the beginning of the ability to do the required 3 rotations a day (one has to be a short hop because of the restricted hours)

Cannot see it happening next year but this is not random activity by EZY. If numbers work out then base possible. If they do not then choose what existing routes you wish to keep if any.

So, not exactly high risk for the airline, but a world of pain for the airport if it does not work out. So I absolutely agree they need some based aircraft by others at SEN soon, so long as the routes operated do not kill off the interest from the airline with the ability to lay the orange egg.

SWBKCB
26th May 2023, 13:53
Assuming that EZY are planning a base eventually, can the airport sustain the losses till then, and if a base does open, will they be able to make money out of EZY?

Expressflight
26th May 2023, 14:36
Assuming that EZY are planning a base eventually, can the airport sustain the losses till then, and if a base does open, will they be able to make money out of EZY?

I would suggest that the likelihood is that SEN will have been sold by the time that happens and one would expect Esken to have absorbed future losses until any sale occurs. Probably the saleability of SEN and/or the price achieved could very well hinge, at least in part, on EZY having made a decision to re-open their SEN base or not.

SouthernAlliance
26th May 2023, 14:48
Given that maybe in 2 years say EZY look to open a base at SEN or SOU, which would they choose as I can’t see them going with both?!

DC3 Dave
26th May 2023, 15:04
Given that maybe in 2 years say EZY look to open a base at SEN or SOU, which would they choose as I can’t see them going with both?!

Well, assuming you are correct and routes are performing well at both, what an opportunity for EZY to suggest they both need to sharpen their respective pencils.

tws123
8th Jun 2023, 13:46
Balkan Holidays have added SEN-Bourgas for Summer 2024. Not sure on frequency yet.

This route was previously announced a few years ago but never actually operated.

tws123
9th Jun 2023, 20:41
Also appears that AMS will now operate year-round with Winter flights on sale at 2x weekly.

pamann
9th Jun 2023, 20:43
Balkan Holidays have added SEN-Bourgas for Summer 2024. Not sure on frequency yet.

This route was previously announced a few years ago but never actually operated.

I genuinely don’t know what’s worse

Southend or Sunny Beach.

EI-BUD
9th Jun 2023, 23:28
In the 1970s Southend Airport was huge on holiday package flights to the Mediterranean sun belt. This slowly faded away with Gatwick and especially Stansted becoming bigger and better etc. However, there is a really strong catchment locally, something in the order of 600,000-700,000 people. easyJet seemed to do well until Ryanair came in. It has to be sustainable for all parties and type fact easyJet came back at all is testament to their belief in the airport.. I think things will work out though things will clearly be bumpy financially until a sustainably level of traffic can be attached.

rog747
10th Jun 2023, 11:30
In the 1970s Southend Airport was huge on holiday package flights to the Mediterranean sun belt. This slowly faded away with Gatwick and especially Stansted becoming bigger and better etc. However, there is a really strong catchment locally, something in the order of 600,000-700,000 people. easyJet seemed to do well until Ryanair came in. It has to be sustainable for all parties and type fact easyJet came back at all is testament to their belief in the airport.. I think things will work out though things will clearly be bumpy financially until a sustainably level of traffic can be attached.

SEN's package holiday flights was not huge huge - but it was very popular -
In the 1960's onwards Channel Airways' own in-house holiday companies Mediterranean Holidays, and then Trident Holidays first flew holidaymakers to OST RTM BSL PGP RMI PMI AGP and GRO for the Costa's with Viscounts, then from 1967 added a BAC 1-11 and a year later added the Tridents, but the new Jets were soon delegated to fly from only Stansted, along with Comets they acquired in 1970 to fly big contracts for Lyons Tours and Wallace Arnold.
Channel were sadly not to see, nor would operate the 1972 summer season, which left a void at SEN for a while.

Thomson Skytours added SEN using BY's 737's in the 1970's to Majorca etc, and also local firm Tom Hill Holidays chartered Transeuropa Caravelles for PMI and AGP flying from both SEN and ZSD (as STN was known as back then).

Another local firm Burstin Travel (who eventually went on to form its own, but unsuccessful in-house airline, Princess Air) had a fairly big IT programme for Majorca Malta and Faro etc, which saw Orion, Air Malta, Air Atlantis/TAP, Hispania and other airlines operate into SEN to fly the IT charters for them.
Volotea for Thomsons was about the last one with 717 and A319's to/from Palma.

SEN boomed again when Easyjet came along and EZY ended up with a 7 aircraft based fleet there, but Ryanair entered the patch and as usual war began which ended up, along with Covid seeing SEN with zero flights almost overnight.

pamann
10th Jun 2023, 15:43
SEN boomed again when Easyjet came along and EZY ended up with a 7 aircraft based fleet there, but Ryanair entered the patch and as usual war began which ended up, along with Covid seeing SEN with zero flights almost overnight.

I’m pretty sure 7 was the aircraft basing for EZY at STN. Southend never had more than 3 or 4 based airframes.

Barling Magna
10th Jun 2023, 17:31
Just to muddy the waters further, I thought there were 5 SEN-based EZY airframes at maximum? Expressflight will know.

Actually I think the maximum number was 4 with a fifth likely but Ryanair moved in and that was that.......

DC3 Dave
10th Jun 2023, 18:17
Just to muddy the waters further, I thought there were 5 SEN-based EZY airframes at maximum? Expressflight will know.

Actually I think the maximum number was 4 with a fifth likely but Ryanair moved in and that was that.......

4 EZY. 3 Ryanair

Expressflight
11th Jun 2023, 07:14

Yes there were four SEN based EZY aircraft plus three RYR for 2021. There was talk of expanding that number for 2022 but COVID put paid to all that and to everything else as it turned out. Had RYR not come onto the SEN scene I think EZY would probably have toughed it out. I didn't think enticing RYR to SEN was a very bright idea at the time.

rog747
11th Jun 2023, 07:49
Yes there were four SEN based EZY aircraft plus three RYR for 2021. There was talk of expanding that number for 2022 but COVID put paid to all that and to everything else as it turned out. Had RYR not come onto the SEN scene I think EZY would probably have toughed it out. I didn't think enticing RYR to SEN was a very bright idea at the time.

Thanks for the correction - I knew there was a 7 somewhere in the history lol

Good to see EZY is back to SEN (albeit not a base) and the uptake I gather, is very high...

Faro from SEN has always been popular going back with TAP and Air Atlantis 727-82's, then 737-200's (when it used to tech stop at Manston on its way to Faro)

DC3 Dave
11th Jun 2023, 18:27

Absolutely agree. Warwick Brady seemed to believe as EZY were getting towards the latter years of their agreement with Stobart that they would have to pay a significant increase to the airport if they wished to continue operating from SEN. (Source? Andrew Tinkler former CEO) His cojones were hardened because his new chums at Ryanair (who he took every opportunity to boast would never have come without him) would of course jump on the opportunity that an EZY departure would bring and no doubt increase their presence by at least a couple of aircraft. Don’t really need to go into what happened next, except to say when Covid collapsed demand, the one based airline who may have stuck it out had already made their minds up, to be followed by Ryanair who’s last act seemed to be to shaft Wizz before they left.

SWBKCB
11th Jun 2023, 18:29
Is Mr Tinkler a reliable witness on such matters??

DC3 Dave
11th Jun 2023, 18:33
Is Mr Tinkler a reliable witness on such matters??

Not necessarily, but without him, IMO, there would be precious little to talk about on this thread.

Barling Magna
11th Jun 2023, 19:15

I think we both said that at the time, and we weren't alone.

davidjohnson6
21st Jun 2023, 09:55
I think we all had a good idea of this already but now formally made public... airport up for sale and material risk as a going concern.
https://www.standard.co.uk/business/esken-puts-southend-airport-up-for-sale-as-it-warns-on-finances-b1089153.html

LTNman
21st Jun 2023, 11:30
Pre-tax losses narrowed slightly, from £35.7 million to £27.7 million.

No surprises there. To cut its loses further they would need to close the terminal and boot Easyjet out. I can understand why this would be painful but the easyjet flights at Southend don’t have the volumes needed to turn a profit. Come this winter it will only get worse. With Easyjet slowly ramping up flights it will be a long time before Southend will see a profit and Esken hasn’t got the resources to last out. Also despite the claims of new airlines and routes the cupboard seems to be bare.

As for the loses sitting at £27.7m, that’s small change. The owners of Luton Airport just announced loses of £232m. Well the auditors did, the owners are keeping quiet.

pamann
21st Jun 2023, 11:35
A handful of flights by non based easyJet units won’t cover the bills. Most of us know that.

Doncaster couldn’t survive with multiple daily flights and based units. It was inevitable that the losses at SEN wouldn’t be sustained. Let’s hope that it doesn’t close down. Sadly I can see this happening. Who wants to buy an airport that doesn’t seem to attract the level of business that it needs to be profitable?

Time will tell and I do feel that the clock is ticking.

Andy_S
21st Jun 2023, 12:23
As for the loses sitting at £27.7m, that’s small change. The owners of Luton Airport just announced loses of £232m. Well the auditors did, the owners are keeping quiet.

'Profit' and 'Loss' are potentially a bit misleading. They include things like depreciation and changes in property value. Earnings is the figure to look for, and it seems like the business as a whole is Earnings Positive (but not the Aviation Division).

As I understand it, the "material risk" relates to uncertainty over the disposal of the Biomass Division. Once sold, Esken's cash position is much healthier, but there is no certainty over the timing....

LTNman
21st Jun 2023, 12:31
As they don’t own Southend but operate it as a franchise what are they actually selling that has any value?

Andy_S
21st Jun 2023, 12:54
As they don’t own Southend but operate it as a franchise what are they actually selling that has any value?

I understand they have a long lease on the Airport, rather than operating it as a franchise. But I imagine the practicalities are similar. If it's a viable, profitable business then for the right price a purchaser may be interested in acquiring it. So it would have a tangible value as a going concern. If the business is perpetually loss making but there is no significant asset value then unless you can walk away from the lease I guess the best you can hope for is to pay someone to take it off your hands.....

SWBKCB
21st Jun 2023, 13:51
As I understand it, the "material risk" relates to uncertainty over the disposal of the Biomass Division. Once sold, Esken's cash position is much healthier, but there is no certainty over the timing....

So once they've sold off the bit making money, they'll be a lot better off? The Esken way! :ok:​​​​​​​

Expressflight
21st Jun 2023, 14:18
No surprises there. To cut its loses further they would need to close the terminal and boot Easyjet out. I can understand why this would be painful but the easyjet flights at Southend don’t have the volumes needed to turn a profit. Come this winter it will only get worse. With Easyjet slowly ramping up flights it will be a long time before Southend will see a profit and Esken hasn’t got the resources to last out. Also despite the claims of new airlines and routes the cupboard seems to be bare..

Reading your post in isolation one wouldn't guess that a buyer is actively being sought for SEN. Of course easyJet aren't currently generating enough volumes for SEN to turn a profit but what they are doing is giving some indication that SEN could be revitalised by a new owner with sufficient funds to offer the necessary incentives to increase easyJet's activities and attract other operators. Esken have openly said that all airline deals in the past few years have had to be on strictly commercial terms that generate profit in themselves. In other words they have been trying to attract custom with one hand tied behind their back. Esken still have ring-fenced resources of £5.3m from Carlyle Global in the bank to keep SEN running so will have at least 12 months to find a buyer. I'm not suggesting that will necessarily be easy and what success they will have remains to be seen. That is the main take-away from these Annual Accounts & Report. That and the probable necessity of concluding the sale of the Biomass Division in the interim to keep Esken as a going concern.

LTNman
21st Jun 2023, 14:52
I think I read a long time ago that the turning point from loss to profit was 1.25m passengers a year. They still have a long way to go but as Esken has found out you can spend the money freely and get little return. It might be a case of selling the lease for £1 and walking away could be the best option. So who owns the infrastructure that Stobart built? The Council, as the owner of the land, or Esken?

If Esken fails maybe the airport ends up with no debts so can start again with a new debt free lease and with all the infrastructure in place or maybe the infrastructure has value that can be sold for the duration of the existing lease?

fairflyer
22nd Jun 2023, 13:54
Interesting quirk of Southend business model vs. similar peers. Because they have the train terminal right next to the terminal, a higher proportion of users choose to take the train - great from green perspective, but dramatically reduces car parking revenues which for some is the primary income stream for a typical regional airport, aside from property rentals - if they have property to rent that is! Hardly anyone makes money from aviation-related income.

Expressflight
22nd Jun 2023, 14:09
I thought that SEN received part of the train ticket price, which would go some way towards compensating for the reduced car parking revenue. After all they do own the station.

DC3 Dave
22nd Jun 2023, 14:16
I thought that SEN received part of the train ticket price, which would go some way towards compensating for the reduced car parking revenue. After all they do own the station.

They do. Over 90% of the ticket price to or from the station.

Barling Magna
22nd Jun 2023, 20:58
Well at least they made one good deal.

TartinTon
22nd Jun 2023, 21:54
My understanding was that they owned pretty much all the infrastructure around the airport including the station and hotel so they must be making something from that to alleviate the reliance on car parking.

V_2
22nd Jun 2023, 22:02
Which means they were also getting 90% of the ticket price of all the commuters from the local area that started using the station too instead of the pre existing stops. The operator did kick off about this not sure what the outcome was

pabely
22nd Jun 2023, 22:34
So on s standard one way Ticket from Liverpool Street to Southend Airport railway station, the operator gets £2.01, that can't be right!

DC3 Dave
23rd Jun 2023, 06:25
So on s standard one way Ticket from Liverpool Street to Southend Airport railway station, the operator gets £2.01, that can't be right!

That is correct. You have to remember that Stobart built the station at their own expense. The deal is not permanent but is long term.

LTNman
26th Jun 2023, 11:38
https://simpleflying.com/london-southend-for-sale-what-we-know/

DC3 Dave
27th Jun 2023, 10:27
EZY have released early S 24 flights. Looks like summer starts along the same lines as this year, hopefully with a new route or two to follow in the coming weeks.

One disappointment. CDG does not appear to continue into summer as anticipated at this stage. Particular shame with the Paris Olympics in 2024.

pabely
27th Jun 2023, 11:56
One disappointment. CDG does not appear to continue into summer as anticipated at this stage. Particular shame with the Paris Olympics in 2024.
Hardly an event that would justify a commitment throughout Summer. Probably somewhere to avoid with inflated accommodation prices. EZY based aircraft in Paris will make more money to somewhere like Corsica in Summer. Always thought this was a Paris slot holder route than a serious commitment to SEN.

Aero Mad
27th Jun 2023, 12:01
There also tends to be extensive availability of cheap seats on Eurostar in summer - it's a competitive market.

LTNman
27th Jun 2023, 16:52
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23613235.london-southend-airport-extend-perimeter-fence-line/

pamann
27th Jun 2023, 20:52

The Paris based routes are probably not on sale yet. I’m pretty sure U.K. > bucket & spade routes go on sale early due to earlier booking habits. Very few people book flights to cities such as Paris so far in advance.

Barling Magna
27th Jun 2023, 21:44
At a time when the airport needs every friend it can get this expansion of the perimeter fence will probably alienate the spotter/enthusiast community. I remember way back when the airport's original expansion plans were produced that there was a dedicated building for spotters included in the plans, replacing the old "Waving Off Terrace" on the terminal roof. That didn't survive long once the plans were approved.......

globetrotter79
28th Jun 2023, 07:32
The airport may indeed need every friend it can get, however let's be honest: who are they going to earn more out of - a private jet client whose business the airport may be at risk of losing if that client feels like he/she is being "papped" each time they use SEN, or a spotter? I suspect that's the blunt bottom line of the matter.

Expressflight
28th Jun 2023, 07:50
The airport may indeed need every friend it can get, however let's be honest: who are they going to earn more out of - a private jet client whose business the airport may be at risk of losing if that client feels like he/she is being "papped" each time they use SEN, or a spotter? I suspect that's the blunt bottom line of the matter.
I tend to agree. There cannot be many airports where you could photograph or film at such close quarters all the bizjets as they disembarked their pax. The fact that SEN have now removed this option is understandable and not really surprising. A dedicated viewing area would be nice but I'm sure that it would not offer anywhere near such close access as was previously possible adjacent to the Jet Centre.

SWBKCB
28th Jun 2023, 08:21
A rather large wooden fence was built next to the GA apron at Newcastle after such comments from customers.

LTNman
28th Jun 2023, 09:55
Signature at Luton has just a slotted fence and is overlooked by a hotel

Barling Magna
28th Jun 2023, 11:26

That's certainly true. However a dedicated viewing area in another location would placate that group and also attract families. I suspect some of us started our interest in aviation as spotters. Manchester and East Midlands have good examples of such viewing areas. Of course those airports actually have something to see!

davidjohnson6
28th Jun 2023, 11:50
After all the noise about ElonJet, I don't think anybody seriously expects anonymity on a private jet
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ElonJet

Buster the Bear
4th Jul 2023, 22:32
https://www.aviationbusinessnews.com/cabin/ipeco-plans-second-southend-business-park-facility/

pabely
4th Jul 2023, 23:33
https://www.aviationbusinessnews.com/cabin/ipeco-plans-second-southend-business-park-facility/
At this rate they will want more land grab to the South East. Must be a nice little earner for the Council who I believe own the land.

tws123
5th Jul 2023, 21:09
EasyJet have added winter flights to Geneva for winter 23/24 at 3x weekly (2 flights on Saturdays and one on Wednesdays), commencing on 16 December.

mikkie4
17th Jul 2023, 20:07
BALKAN AIR flying to BURGAS starting 1st may 2024 according to their web page on wikkie

LTNman
18th Jul 2023, 08:23
So Southend Airport has submitted a letter of support for Luton’s expansion to the planning inspectors. I guess they have forgotten that expansion at other airports makes it harder for Southend.

pabely
18th Jul 2023, 11:52
So Southend Airport has submitted a letter of support for Luton’s expansion to the planning inspectors. I guess they have forgotten that expansion at other airports makes it harder for Southend.
Perhaps they are hoping LLAOL or LBC will buy lease from Esken!?

DC3 Dave
18th Jul 2023, 13:36
Perhaps they are hoping LLAOL or LBC will buy lease from Esken!?

The sooner LTN and others reach their “bust a gut” level the better for SEN.

LTNman
18th Jul 2023, 14:09
Sadly it is unlikely to happen, as all London airports are pushing for expansion. Stansted already has expansion approved so could pick up the slack in the short term. It's a mystery why Southend would support another London airports expansion plans. Just watch Luton object if Southend put in an application.

SouthernAlliance
18th Jul 2023, 15:17
The fragility of SEN always having to rely on other airports over capacity

8674planes
20th Jul 2023, 23:36
Weston Aviation launches partnership product with Cambridge City Airport and London Southend Airport

https://www.businessairportinternational.com/news/weston-aviation-launches-partnership-product-with-cambridge-city-airport-and-london-southend-airport.html?fbclid=IwAR2Xzn-B2xhIdw5HcLefLX4tUkqyU2FlLf7A8GXOFn8nak76QoVzXOQCLfs

jmdavies86
21st Jul 2023, 18:43
Southend to Bourgas, Bulgaria, announced for S24 - weekly charter service, operated by Balkan Holidays, starting from 17th June and will run for 13 weeks until 2nd September; more details here (https://www.linkedin.com/posts/london-southend-airport_flylondonsouthend-businessdevelopment-activity-7088050008641392641-Ag0Z?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop).

Also, I noticed via LinkedIn that SEN are recruiting for a Route Development Manager: https://lnkd.in/ezAyV3nU

pabely
21st Jul 2023, 18:54
Southend to Bourgas, Bulgaria, announced for S24 - weekly charter service, operated by Balkan Holidays, starting from 17th June and will run for 13 weeks until 2nd September; more details here (https://www.linkedin.com/posts/london-southend-airport_flylondonsouthend-businessdevelopment-activity-7088050008641392641-Ag0Z?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop).

Also, I noticed via LinkedIn that SEN are recruiting for a Route Development Manager: https://lnkd.in/ezAyV3nU
Isn't that whst was posted earlier?

Buster the Bear
21st Jul 2023, 19:04

Not quite, original post stated from May 1st 2024, which is incorrect.

jmdavies86
21st Jul 2023, 19:06

Yes, mikkie4 said so on 17th Jul, but this was only speculation based on a Wikipedia page entry, however it's been officially announced by SEN on LinkedIn today and it starts in June, not May as previously posted.

AirportPlanner1
5th Aug 2023, 22:15
At some point AMS has been increased to 4x weekly for winter, with new evening flights on Thursdays and Sundays.

Expressflight
6th Aug 2023, 09:31
At some point AMS has been increased to 4x weekly for winter, with new evening flights on Thursdays and Sundays.

With reference to the new Thursday and Sunday flights, it looks like the AMS-based aircraft will operate another flight between the 12:30 arrival SEN and the departure back to AMS at 19:55. Maybe AGP or FAO will continue through the winter.

Expressflight
7th Aug 2023, 17:55
Recent rumours on the Teesside forum that the Oil Spill Response B727-200s are changing their base at MME to become based at SEN instead may be true as G-OSRB is flight planned into SEN tomorrow afternoon from Djibouti via Chania, Greece.

SKOJB
7th Aug 2023, 18:35
Recent rumours on the Teesside forum that the Oil Spill Response B727-200s are changing their base at MME to become based at SEN instead may be true as G-OSRB is flight planned into SEN tomorrow afternoon from Djibouti via Chania, Greece.

That will go down well with the locals. However, would be a hop, skip and jump to Lasham for MRO

N707ZS
7th Aug 2023, 20:23
Wonder why not just keep them at Lasham. Is there a spare hangar at Southend.

mikkie4
8th Aug 2023, 10:37
Due in at 1500hrs

DC3 Dave
8th Aug 2023, 11:49
Due in at 1500hrs

Do not worry. We will hear it!

Update: No we will not. Cancelled!

btw does anyone know why Eastern Airways E190 is popping over to SEN from LCY? This has happened a few times lately.

Expressflight
8th Aug 2023, 15:32
Do not worry. We will hear it!

Update: No we will not. Cancelled!

btw does anyone know why Eastern Airways E190 is popping over to SEN from LCY? This has happened a few times lately.
I shouldn't start rubbing your hands too soon regarding how noisy these 727s will be. Both are, in fact, 727RE aircraft which were re-engined with MD-80 engines installed in No. 1 & 3 position; only the centre engine remains in its original form. Not only is this variant very much quieter but it's field performance is vastly improved which is an important factor when operating at high weights out of SEN. Also the positioning flight from Djibouti has simply been delayed by 24 hours.

Regarding the Eastern E 190, it looks to be carrying out the necessary line training sectors into LCY in preparation for the operation of ITA routes into that airport this autumn.

DC3 Dave
8th Aug 2023, 16:11
I shouldn't start rubbing your hands too soon regarding how noisy these 727s will be. Both are, in fact, 727RE aircraft which were re-engined with MD-80 engines installed in No. 1 & 3 position; only the centre engine remains in its original form. Not only is this variant very much quieter but it's field performance is vastly improved which is an important factor when operating at high weights out of SEN. Also the positioning flight from Djibouti has simply been delayed by 24 hours.

Regarding the Eastern E 190, it looks to be carrying out the necessary line training sectors into LCY in preparation for the operation of ITA routes into that airport this autumn.

Thank you for the info. Interesting stuff.

Flightmech
8th Aug 2023, 20:42

The OSRA 727s have the PW JT8D-217C/219 (Valsan) engines which are a little quieter. When they flew for us (FedEx) they were used on the longer South America routes to VCP & CCS.

colinhunn
9th Aug 2023, 07:37
Cancelled for a second day according to FR24.

Any news on why they’re de-basing from MME?

AirportPlanner1
10th Aug 2023, 09:46
Looks like there are some changes over the winter schedule, CDG drops to 2x weekly at weekends from New Year to Half Term (although for comparison LTN goes from 4-5 per day midweek to 2 over the same period) and GVA midweek is priced to deter bookings.

pabely
10th Aug 2023, 11:47
Looks like there are some changes over the winter schedule, CDG drops to 2x weekly at weekends from New Year to Half Term (although for comparison LTN goes from 4-5 per day midweek to 2 over the same period) and GVA midweek is priced to deter bookings.
Always the quieter time of year.
GVA has to compete with Sky Alps now from STN, 4 hrs 30 mins in a DHC8, nice! I would have thought such a service, at the price they are offering would have been better suited at LCY.
If the plane goes tech, oops.
If I book EZY from LTN and it goes Tech the next flight is in an hour!

pamann
10th Aug 2023, 12:28
GVA has to compete with Sky Alps now from STN, 4 hrs 30 mins in a DHC8, nice!

Not sure how you’re working out your timings?

It’s blocked at 2hrs 35m ex U.K.

pabely
10th Aug 2023, 16:17
Not sure how you’re working out your timings?

It’s blocked at 2hrs 35m ex U.K.
Not what their booking engine was saying last night, must have corrected.

AirportPlanner1
10th Aug 2023, 19:02
Geneva is nowhere near Bolzano. May as well say Paris is competition.

davidjohnson6
10th Aug 2023, 21:57
Geneva is physically nowhere near Bolzano... but the French/Swiss Alps and the Italian Dolomites both compete for UK residents wanting a week of skiing

DC3 Dave
11th Aug 2023, 11:28

GVA midweek has reverted to normal pricing.

Expressflight
14th Aug 2023, 14:19
Oil Spill Response have today announced that London Southend airport is the new operational base for their two Boeing 727-200RE aircraft. SEN was chosen because it offers "unique side-by-side hangarage". G-OSRB arrived at SEN from Djibouti yesterday afternoon and G-OSRA will join that aircraft on completion of current maintenance at Lasham.

pabely
14th Aug 2023, 22:23
Just one question, looking at pictures of the 727 parked up, will the tail actually get into the hangars?

Expressflight
15th Aug 2023, 08:05
Just one question, looking at pictures of the 727 parked up, will the tail actually get into the hangars?
Many B727s have been maintained/overhauled in that hangar over the years.

colinhunn
15th Aug 2023, 11:05
Is that the old ATC Lasham hangar?

Mooncrest
15th Aug 2023, 12:47
I hope the runway is long enough for a 727.

pabely
15th Aug 2023, 12:52
I hope the runway is long enough for a 727.
Bit of a one way trip if it isn't! Stupid comment.

AirportPlanner1
21st Aug 2023, 20:28
As expected, Alicante is now on sale at 2x weekly over winter on Thursdays and Sundays using an AMS based aircraft.

pabely
21st Aug 2023, 21:35
Bet the AMS crew can't wait to see their rotas!

DC3 Dave
21st Aug 2023, 21:38
As expected, Alicante is now on sale at 2x weekly over winter on Thursdays and Sundays using an AMS based aircraft.

A positive move. Especially because EZY will have a ALC seasonal base in S 24. Hopefully this will mean 5/6 weekly then.

LTNman
22nd Aug 2023, 02:21
Southend needs its own aircraft base if it is to be a success. There is no sign of that happening anytime soon. The proposed winter program just means more financial pain, as the terminal needs to be opened, staffed and heated just to serve the odd random flight.

Expressflight
22nd Aug 2023, 07:02
Southend needs its own aircraft base if it is to be a success. There is no sign of that happening anytime soon. The proposed winter program just means more financial pain, as the terminal needs to be opened, staffed and heated just to serve the odd random flight.
Of course SEN needs an Easyjet base in order to succeed but I didn't realise you had access to their future plans. One thing that's for sure is if they didn't have the terminal operational this winter they would be even further from returning to financial viability.

AirportPlanner1
22nd Aug 2023, 10:28
Even in the ‘good old days’ there was sometimes only one EZY flight and a handful of props during the winter. One time I was one of about 20 on the only arrival, about three hours after the last movement. Another time just two early morning Stobart departures with nothing more for a good few hours.

pabely
22nd Aug 2023, 10:43
A positive move. Especially because EZY will have a ALC seasonal base in S 24. Hopefully this will mean 5/6 weekly then.
I think this is wish list only, according to the EZY press release, the 3 based summer only units is only a 16% increase in seats so plenty of capacity already. EZY specificly mention 11 strategic routes of AMS, EDI, GVA & BSL etc. SEN I'm afraid has no must do in EZY eyes.

Expressflight
22nd Aug 2023, 10:54
Even in the ‘good old days’ there was sometimes only one EZY flight and a handful of props during the winter.
Perhaps you could clarify when in 'the good old days' that was exactly.

AirportPlanner1
4th Sep 2023, 22:22
I would not be surprised to see Geneva return, and possibly Lyon given it was a previous ski season route

Well, almost right. Grenoble has now been added and is on sale 1x weekly using a CDG based aircraft. The downside is CDG is adjusted inbound to 7am on Sundays, making it quite useless for weekend breaks.

pabely
4th Sep 2023, 23:13
So just 7 flights bookable?

Pain in the R's
5th Sep 2023, 19:55
I take it no one knows. Amsterdam up to 4 times a week. Paris up to 4 times a week, Glenoble once a week? Southend must have deep pockets, don’t they know Covid is over and flights are booming around the rest of London’s airports. I am so surprised they have not recovered when it is such a good airport.

pamann
5th Sep 2023, 20:50
I take it no one knows. Amsterdam up to 4 times a week. Paris up to 4 times a week, Glenoble once a week? Southend must have deep pockets, don’t they know Covid is over and flights are booming around the rest of London’s airports. I am so surprised they have not recovered when it is such a good airport.

Unless some miracle happens and someone opens a base with multiple daily flights, I just don’t get how they’re going to pay the bills, let alone employ people?

Even Doncaster had a based airline and multiple daily departures/arrivals and look at where they are now. It just doesn’t make sense to me? And it is a shame as it is actually a nice airport to fly from. I just don’t see how the numbers add up going forward?

LTNman
6th Sep 2023, 04:23
The airport has been up for sale now for 6 months with no takers. Blackpool is a good example of how biting the bullet and doing the unthinkable by kicking out Jet 2 and then knocking down its modern terminal saved the airport by substantially reducing costs.

SWBKCB
6th Sep 2023, 05:36
knocking down its modern terminal

To be fair there wasn't much to knock down (and unless you're counting the marquee, not much of it was modern). There was nothing like the investment that's been made at SEN

Expressflight
6th Sep 2023, 07:39
The airport has been up for sale now for 6 months with no takers.

Really? I didn't know you were on Esken's Board and have access to that information.

Seriously though, at the recent AGM the Board reported on progress with the sale process. Basically still at an early stage but the recent 'momentum' of additional route announcements and other activity increases at SEN has resulted in an encouraging initial level of interest from a range of parties. There's an element of spin there of course but it does make sense to have waited until now to start a serious sales effort.

It does seem that EZY are genuinely interested in growing their presence at SEN as Esken pledged in 2021 that all airline deals would now need to be made on a fully commercial basis so I don't think they are 'buying' business.

AirportPlanner1
6th Sep 2023, 09:17
Pain in the Rs misses off Alicante and Geneva which is an additional 5 weekly flights. 0 in winter season 22/23 to 10-14 weekly in 23/24 is the fastest growth in London and probably the UK!

It is quite baffling though how it’s always regulars from the Luton thread who seem to like trolling this one.

TheSpiddalKid
6th Sep 2023, 11:56
Is there any comparator of other airports that lack based aircraft but are financially stable. What kind of flight numbers and/or passenger numbers may be needed to sustain operations?

davidjohnson6
6th Sep 2023, 12:08
1 million pax per year seems to be a number often quoted as a rough benchmark for a financially viable "full service" airport. In 2019, SEN saw over 2m pax

SKOJB
6th Sep 2023, 12:21
1 million pax per year seems to be a number often quoted as a rough benchmark for a financially viable "full service" airport. In 2019, SEN saw over 2m pax

Sounds about right as during the runway extension application at SOU, it was suggested that between 1m-1.2m was break even for a viable future. Of course SOU doesn’t have any substantial ancillary income from other aviation services on site!

Barling Magna
6th Sep 2023, 22:53
I think you missed the humour in AirportPlanner1's post. There's certainly a long way to go!

LTNman
20th Sep 2023, 19:04
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23798973.southend-airport-strong-potential-right-ownership/

Esken insists that Southend Airport has “strong potential” with the right ownership.

Clearly not enough potential to stop Esken selling it
​​​​​​​

jmdavies86
26th Sep 2023, 06:29
An interesting RNS update from Esken this morning; it would appear Carlyle Global Infrastructure Fund are taking legal action against LSA...

Esken has received notification that documents filed by CGI in the High Court have been served on LSA, claiming certain technical breaches by LSA with respect to the convertible loan agreement. Esken does not agree with CGI's claimed interpretation of the convertible loan agreement and will support LSA in defending the action vigorously. In addition, Esken will continue with its sale process to find the right long term owner for the airport.

Full statement: https://tools.eurolandir.com/tools/Pressreleases/GetPressRelease/?ID=4383638&lang=en-GB&companycode=uk-wpf&v=redesign

UPDATE (to include link to media source): https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/1027677/southend-airport-owner-sued-as-pressure-mounts-on-sale-1027677.html

Expressflight
26th Sep 2023, 13:33
I see that the matter is described as a 'technical breach' rather than 'a material breach' of contract. The former is usually something of a relatively minor nature so I wonder if there may be more to this move than is immediately apparent.

SWBKCB
26th Sep 2023, 14:00
As stated in the trading update issued on 30 August 2023, the Board has been encouraged by the level of initial interest received in relation to the airport. The return to pre-pandemic demand throughout the travel sector means there is now positive traction in performance, with the outlook for Summer 2024 travel looking strongly positive.

Aviation bits from the statement

jmdavies86
26th Sep 2023, 15:16
...I wonder if there may be more to this move than is immediately apparent.

Opinions expressed elsewhere seem to suggest that it looks like an attempt by Carlyle to gain control of SEN on the cheap...?!

asdf1234
29th Sep 2023, 18:23
I see that the matter is described as a 'technical breach' rather than 'a material breach' of contract. The former is usually something of a relatively minor nature so I wonder if there may be more to this move than is immediately apparent.

A breach by the borrower will lead to a minimum of £193,750,00 (less any interest that has already been paid on the loan) becoming immediately payable to the lender.
Although the lender has defined the current breach as technical in nature, a breach of the contract is just that - a breach. The penalty for the breach is not something Esken can pay.
All of Esken's assets including the airport are pledged to the lender in support of the loan. I'm guessing a change of ownership in favour of the lender will be the end result.
The only question remaining is what does Carlyle want to do with the airport site? Underperforming, cash draining airport, or lucrative housing?

LTNman
29th Sep 2023, 18:36
Something wrong with that figure, commas in the right place?

davidjohnson6
29th Sep 2023, 18:48
Would the council really give permission for a significant change of use ?

Or maybe Gatwick could pay £250m to Carlyle, and then persuade the PM that if they get full permission to operate twin runways, they will shut Southend down, and HM Govt can say that the number of active runways in the south east hasn't changed so the green crowd needn't worry ?

asdf1234
29th Sep 2023, 19:42
Something wrong with that figure, commas in the right place?
£193.75m

pabely
29th Sep 2023, 22:27
I thought the loan was only £125m https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/954065/esken-agrees-125mln-loan-facility-with-carlyle-global-infrastructure-fund-for-southend-airport-954065.html

LTNman
30th Sep 2023, 05:56
I was thinking the same, as I have never seen a figure of £193 million mentioned before.

So what exactly is a technical breach? Examples please. Either they are paying their loans off or they are not. Have they borrowed more money to pay the interest payments or have the loan repayments been deferred by arrangement?

asdf1234
1st Oct 2023, 07:16
I thought the loan was only £125m https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/954065/esken-agrees-125mln-loan-facility-with-carlyle-global-infrastructure-fund-for-southend-airport-954065.html

In the event that the Lender does not exercise its rights of Conversion prior to the maturity date of the Loan, and in certain other circumstances (including following the occurrence of an event of default and on the final maturity date of the Loan), the Loan shall be repayable at the greater of: (i) an amount that achieves a 10 per cent. Internal Rate of Return for the Lender for the period from the Draw-Down Date to such repayment date (taking into account any Cash Interest paid during such period) and (ii) £193,750,000 less any Cash Interest paid during such period.

Expressflight
1st Oct 2023, 10:28
In the event that the Lender does not exercise its rights of Conversion prior to the maturity date of the Loan, and in certain other circumstances (including following the occurrence of an event of default and on the final maturity date of the Loan), the Loan shall be repayable at the greater of: (i) an amount that achieves a 10 per cent. Internal Rate of Return for the Lender for the period from the Draw-Down Date to such repayment date (taking into account any Cash Interest paid during such period) and (ii) £193,750,000 less any Cash Interest paid during such period.

So you seem to be saying that if Esken default on the loan a sum of £193,750,00 would be payable. I accept that your calculation may be correct in that event. However, this legal case relates to "technical breaches by LSA with respect to the convertible loan agreement ". Do you have additional information that leads you to the conclusion that this is tantamount to Esken defaulting? I'm not suggesting your conclusions are wrong just that I cannot find any evidence to support them.

SWBKCB
1st Oct 2023, 10:48
and in certain other circumstances (including following the occurrence of an event of default and on the final maturity date of the Loan)

Not necessary a default, but what are the 'other circumstances' other than a default?

LTNman
9th Oct 2023, 07:31
https://www.yellowad.co.uk/southend-airport-fighting-back-to-pre-covid-heyday/

pabely
9th Oct 2023, 19:02
"Indeed, according to MS Aviation, Luton now has three Fixed Base Operators (FBO)" NetJets I assume included as they have hangar of their own but do they have a terminal- Signature 2? Sorry, not a Southend question but always thought keeping FBO in house at Southend rather getting one of the big boys in is holding them back.

SEN Observer
10th Oct 2023, 07:26
I see from FR24 that a JET 2 A321 has come into SEN this morning. Any comments/ideas what has brought this in?

SWBKCB
10th Oct 2023, 07:34
It's the HiFly a/c that hasn't flown for a week - end of lease checks/paint?

LTNman
27th Oct 2023, 06:17
https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/how-public-opinion-of-london-southend-airport-has-changed-in-the-last-five-years/

DC3 Dave
27th Oct 2023, 08:36
https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/how-public-opinion-of-london-southend-airport-has-changed-in-the-last-five-years/

Interesting little read over a late breakfast. Nothing remarkable about it except towards the end the prediction that passenger numbers will grow from 150k this year to 500k in 2024.

Perfectly possible of course but a major announcement will have to be made pretty soon if that target is to be achieved.

LTNman
27th Oct 2023, 09:58
For Southend the nightmare of Covid has never ended while all the other London airports have bounced back big time. I am sure it is even a mystery to those running the airport that everything is in place except passengers. Will Ryanair and Wizz come back one day or has Easyjet made its position clear behind closed doors with Southend now not offering deals to the other airlines?

Expressflight
27th Oct 2023, 11:32
For Southend the nightmare of Covid has never ended while all the other London airports have bounced back big time. I am sure it is even a mystery to those running the airport that everything is in place except passengers. Will Ryanair and Wizz come back one day or has Easyjet made its position clear behind closed doors with Southend now not offering deals to the other airlines?

Don't forget that SEN is currently not in a position of "offering deals to the other airlines".

Consequent to its Carlyle bailout loan a couple of years ago Esken pledged that all airline deals would have to be on a strictly commercially viable basis. I would suggest that is the major reason that other deals have not been struck over that period. We must hope that there are interested airlines who may sign up if the new owners (should a sale actually take place) are able to offer a more attractive financial package.

Expressflight
28th Oct 2023, 14:56
Quite a busy day at SEN tomorrow by recent standards. Seven EZY flights comprising AGP, PMI, FAO, ALC, CDG and AMS x 2. All operated by aircraft from European bases of course. CDG is the inaugural flight so interesting to see that the CDG-SEN is sold out.

DC3 Dave
28th Oct 2023, 16:11
Quite a busy day at SEN tomorrow by recent standards. Seven EZY flights comprising AGP, PMI, FAO, ALC, CDG and AMS x 2. All operated by aircraft from European bases of course. CDG is the inaugural flight so interesting to see that the CDG-SEN is sold out.

Let us hope there is thorough screening for bed bugs 🐜 in place!

compton3bravo
29th Oct 2023, 14:50
There was a very big rugby match in Paris yesterday.

pabely
29th Oct 2023, 15:03
There was a very big rugby match in Paris yesterday.
Do alot of South Africans & New Zealanders live in Southend area?

Expressflight
29th Oct 2023, 15:27
Do alot of South Africans & New Zealanders live in Southend area?
Maybe not but I find it more interesting that the inbound ALC-SEN is showing a full load on the seat plan. Obviously none of those pax flew out from SEN, this being the inaugural flight of the winter, yet they're happy enough to fly into SEN and travel home from there.

8674planes
30th Oct 2023, 14:18
New route development manager:

https://airlinergs.com/london-southend-airport-bolsters-business-development-department/

London Southend Airport is further strengthening its business development function with a new member of the team as the facility continues its path to recovery.Marc Watkins, with more than 25 years industry experience, joins the airport as Route Development Manager, having started his career with the route development team at Birmingham Airport, as well as spells in similar roles at Coventry and Cardiff airports.

pabely
30th Oct 2023, 15:14
New route development manager:

https://airlinergs.com/london-southend-airport-bolsters-business-development-department/
Not sure Coventry & Cardiff are good to have on your CV?

LTNman
30th Oct 2023, 15:27
He probably came cheap but let’s give the guy a chance. I do question how he will fill his days, as there is only so much he can do?

Expressflight
30th Oct 2023, 16:04
He probably came cheap but let’s give the guy a chance. I do question how he will fill his days, as there is only so much he can do?

That's a bit harsh.

I guess they're in negotiations with so many carriers that it needs the combined talents of Nigel and Marc to cope. Seriously though I think those two will work effectively together.

TCAS FAN
30th Oct 2023, 16:06
Not sure Coventry & Cardiff are good to have on your CV?

Especially Coventry!

Barling Magna
30th Oct 2023, 16:49
At Birmingham, Marc Watkins had success in delivering new routes and capacity with Air India, Continental Airlines, Emirates, Gulf Air, Mahan Air, Turkish Airlines and US Airways. Impressive, but his contacts there won't be of much use for SEN I fear.

davidjohnson6
30th Oct 2023, 18:42
Marc Watkins' contacts at Mahan Air are unlikely to help Southend. But his contacts from working for several years at anna.aero might. Give the guy a chance... or explain why you would be better at the job.

pabely
30th Oct 2023, 20:04
Last throw of the dice?
https://news.sky.com/story/southend-airport-owner-lines-up-100m-sale-of-biomass-arm-12996762

SWBKCB
30th Oct 2023, 20:10
What do Esken have left once they've sold the biomass business and then Southend? Carlisle?

Expressflight
31st Oct 2023, 09:17
What do Esken have left once they've sold the biomass business and then Southend? Carlisle?
My understanding is that once they sell both businesses what they have left is a mountain of debt to repay with the sale proceeds. Any money then remaining will be distributed to the shareholders.

LTNman
31st Oct 2023, 20:18
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23892608.southend-airport-easyjet-winter-flights-schedule-unveiled/

Expressflight
1st Nov 2023, 08:45
For some reason the fact that EZY are operating SEN-GNB this winter had passed unnoticed by me.

Expressflight
1st Nov 2023, 12:05
It looks as though the sale of Esken Renewables to Pioneer Balmoral UK for the sum of £78.5m will be completed next month subject to Shareholder approval etc.. Part of the sale proceeds will be used to repay £55m of borrowings with £3.6m going into Esken's defined benefit pension scheme

The remainder of the sale proceeds will be used to provide Esken with additional short-term working capital to increase stability and support the managed disposal of London Southend Airport.

This is good news for SEN as it will allow more time to find and agree terms with a prospective buyer and ensure that operations can continue unhindered in the interim.

davidjohnson6
1st Nov 2023, 12:53
I would be more reassured if there was a company with credible interest in operating airports that had expressed clear and serious interest in buying SEN. At the moment, it seems to be a case of Esken selling off some family silver to ensure they can continue paying the mortgage on the house.

SWBKCB
1st Nov 2023, 12:56
At the moment, it seems to be a case of Esken selling off some family silver to ensure they can continue paying the mortgage on the house.

....until they can find a buyer for the house to pay off their debts

LTNman
1st Nov 2023, 13:59
Stansted’s announcement won’t help with Southend’s business model of airport of last resort when everywhere else is full. Maybe new owners will have a different strategy without playing the waiting game. Easyjet is showing the way forward by generating demand, despite Stansted.

Expressflight
1st Nov 2023, 17:50
I would be more reassured if there was a company with credible interest in operating airports that had expressed clear and serious interest in buying SEN.

I don't know which companies have expressed an interest in preliminary discussions with Esken, nor their airport operating credentials, and I doubt that you do either. What I do know is that freeing up at least £4.3m of working capital should ensure that there is no mid-2024 deadline for finding a suitable buyer. Without this money it could have become a fire sale.

LTNman
2nd Nov 2023, 06:07
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23895327.southend-airport-owners-hope-sell-biomass-division-focus-sale/

Daniel Cowan, leader of Southend Labour, added: “Hearing there’s a level of interest in a buyer taking over the airport is positive because it gives confidence the site can boom again.
​​​​​​​

asdf1234
4th Nov 2023, 07:08
I don't know which companies have expressed an interest in preliminary discussions with Esken, nor their airport operating credentials, and I doubt that you do either. What I do know is that freeing up £20m of working capital should ensure that there is no mid-2024 deadline for finding a suitable buyer. Without this money it could have become a fire sale.

From the official statement:

Net proceeds of the Disposal are expected to total £78.5 million (which includes the Intercompany Loan Reimbursement and is net of transaction costs), which will be used to immediately repay the £55 million of committed funding drawn under the Facilities Agreement and associated costs (based on the Company's latest calculation, the amount to settle will be £70.6 million in total). The balance of the net proceeds will be used: (i) to further contribute approximately £3.6 million to the Group's defined benefit pension scheme; and (ii) to provide additional working capital in the short term;

I may be reading it wrong but the above suggests £4.3m remaining for working capital.

The statement goes on to say:

Following this sale, and subsequent repayment of our debt facility, our focus will now primarily turn to addressing the maturity and terms of the Exchangeable Bond.

Expressflight
4th Nov 2023, 10:40
From the official statement:

Net proceeds of the Disposal are expected to total £78.5 million (which includes the Intercompany Loan Reimbursement and is net of transaction costs), which will be used to immediately repay the £55 million of committed funding drawn under the Facilities Agreement and associated costs (based on the Company's latest calculation, the amount to settle will be £70.6 million in total). The balance of the net proceeds will be used: (i) to further contribute approximately £3.6 million to the Group's defined benefit pension scheme; and (ii) to provide additional working capital in the short term. I may be reading it wrong but the above suggests £4.3m remaining for working capital.

The statement goes on to say:
Following this sale, and subsequent repayment of our debt facility, our focus will now primarily turn to addressing the maturity and terms of the Exchangeable Bond.

You may be correct but I took it to be that to repay the whole funding package will be £70.6m in total and £55m of that will be immediately repaid. No doubt all will become clear once the sale of Esken Renewables is completed but I've edited my previous post to show a possibly lower working capital increase.

Expressflight
10th Nov 2023, 08:50
Six easyJet destinations are now bookable for S24 from SEN, these being AGP, ALC, AMS, CDG, FAO and PMI. All flights are operated by aircraft from those bases, except AMS which uses a FAO aircraft, and is a total 25 flights weekly in June for example.

AirportPlanner1
10th Nov 2023, 11:28
Six easyJet destinations are now bookable for S24 from SEN, these being AGP, ALC, AMS, CDG, FAO and PMI. All flights are operated by aircraft from those bases, except AMS which uses a FAO aircraft, and is a total 25 flights weekly in June for example.

Not too bad. I see there is a frequency upgrade to PMI (6 weekly) and it starts earlier in the season, and AGP gains a 3rd weekly before the peak season kicks in. ALC currently 2 weekly but I’ve seen suggestion elsewhere that a bigger programme (not SEN specific) will follow.

SWBKCB
10th Nov 2023, 11:43
An average of three and half flights a day? It's to be hoped that the family silver lasts long enough for the might oak to grow from these acorns.

pabely
10th Nov 2023, 11:50
An average of three and half flights a day? It's to be hoped that the family silver lasts long enough for the might oak to grow from these acorns.
Very much depends on timings, if all flights arrive / depart in say a 6 hour window then everything is done on a single shift. If you need two crews on handling & customs, lights & heating on in terminal then I doubt anything will be making a profit.

LTNman
10th Nov 2023, 13:06
I was intending to make a pilgrimage to the airport tomorrow, as the last time I was in the terminal it was made of wood. I have just checked but there are no scheduled flights I can see on Saturday meaning I assume the terminal will be locked up. This is somewhat annoying, as I have been planning this trip for weeks. Now going to Brighton via Gatwick. I haven’t checked but I suspect Gatwick will be open.

DC3 Dave
10th Nov 2023, 13:32
I was intending to make a pilgrimage to the airport tomorrow, as the last time I was in the terminal it was made of wood. I have just checked but there are no scheduled flights I can see on Saturday meaning I assume the terminal will be locked up. This is somewhat annoying, as I have been planning this trip for weeks. Now going to Brighton via Gatwick. I haven’t checked but I suspect Gatwick will be open.

You can see all of the landside through the glass frontage and I know you will take a good pic or two to share with us. No problems parking either if you wish to drive and you can checkout the improvements to the A127 on the way.

I am sure if you let them know you are coming they will arrange a water arch for you.

davidjohnson6
10th Nov 2023, 14:13
LTNman - perhaps rather than just going to inspect the landside of SEN, you might like to buy a ticket to fly somewhere and get to visit airside and see the whole SEN experience. At the very least, you will be able to comment on SEN with real first hand, recent and nontrivial experience. Maybe fly SEN-AMS-LTN (or visit CDG instead of AMS), staying a night in Amsterdam/Paris... and you can see two very different airports. Easyjet use terminal 2B/2D in CDG which reopened recently after a very major refurbishment - it's definitely worth a look and has improved tremendously. AMS is an enormous single terminal - you can spend hours (and I have in the past) exploring all over landside and airside. Bonus points if you get a selfie of yourself with the Fokker on the roof. Whether you visit AMS or CDG, it'll give you an interesting and current perspective on another airport.

Easyjet offers tickets on these routes for very reasonable prices outside peak season if you are prepared to go with just a small rucksack that will suffice for 1 or 2 nights away. SEN-AMS on 11 January is available for £16 oneway. Both cities are very enjoyable to visit, even in winter. If money's tight at the moment, you could even do a day trip on SEN-AMS-LTN, without having the cost of a hotel.

LTNman
10th Nov 2023, 14:48
I would have travelled by train that would take around 2 hours from Parkway to Southend Airport with 2 changes, 3 if I took the Dart from Luton Airport. I discovered it was considerably cheaper to book 2 tickets rather than a single through ticket.

I wouldn’t fly from Southend when I have an airport on the doorstop but I was looking forward to seeing what has been voted the UK’s favourite airport even if it would have been from landside only. I haven’t given up and will have another look at the schedule in the spring.

i have got to say though that I had a love affair with that wooden terminal and I doubt the glass replacement would be an improvement, as I am a nostalgia freak.

rog747
21st Nov 2023, 10:36
SEN also now gets the ALC too,
along with PMI FAO AGP GNB GVA CDG and AMS (All on EasyJet Europe flights)

SEN is really picking up, with BH Air doing a high season summer holidays charter to Bourgas too.

pabely
21st Nov 2023, 11:46
SEN also now gets the ALC too,
along with PMI FAO AGP GNB GVA CDG and AMS (All on EasyJet Europe flights)

SEN is really picking up, with BH Air doing a high season summer holidays charter to Bourgas too.
What do you mean also, announced and bookable in August.
Fan boys were expecting 5/6 week to ALC by now but looking at prices on the x2 week, that ain't going to happen.

LTNman
1st Dec 2023, 18:05
https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2124907-renewables-disposal-allows-esken-to-focus-on-sale-of-london-southend-airport

The group posted revenues of £9.142m, compared with £14.613m the previous period. A pre-tax loss of £60.823m was an increase on the prior year’s £15.020m loss.

Esken said the revenue decline was due to the Aviation division, with the cargo operations from a global logistics partner ending in mid-September 2022, and only three months of revenue in the period for Star Handling Limited, following the sale of the business. ​​​​​​​

SKOJB
1st Dec 2023, 18:20
https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2124907-renewables-disposal-allows-esken-to-focus-on-sale-of-london-southend-airport

Ouch, the reality is SEN will only be viable if there is long term over capacity within London airspace. Pandemics and financial crashes will always have an adverse effect on the airport and will subsequently see large peaks and troughs, something I am sure potential investors will be very mindful and wary of.

davidjohnson6
1st Dec 2023, 18:34
Lots of corporate speak. Anybody able to put this into straightforward English ? Initial reading is "Esken and Southend are in an awful mess and nobody knows if SEN will remain open long term"

LTNman
1st Dec 2023, 18:37
The problem is that the other London Airports are increasingly capacity. I would be more than happy to gift Southend a few million passengers from Luton to get it back on its feet.

SWBKCB
1st Dec 2023, 18:44
Lots of corporate speak. Anybody able to put this into straightforward English ? Initial reading is "Esken and Southend are in an awful mess and nobody knows if SEN will remain open long term"

They've sold their renewables business which they hope allows them to pay of debt and gives them more time to find a buyer for Southend. The company will then be wound up and anything left will go to shareholders. Is that about it?

Also reckons Carlisle will be sold by the end of the financial year, which sounds optimistic.

LTNman
1st Dec 2023, 18:49
I suspect EasyJet’s limited operations, particularly this winter, is making the debts worse.

LTNman
1st Dec 2023, 19:17
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23956898.easyjet-southend-airport-calls-flights-base/

Calls are growing for the budget airline to add more routes to its popular list of destinations, after it was revealed that easyJet will lose 90 flights a week from Gatwick Airport as they are given to British Airways next summer.

A travel agent and senior councillor have now insisted this is the prime time for easyJet to expand its offering at Southend and add new routes and potentially re-open its base.
​​​​​​​

AirportPlanner1
1st Dec 2023, 22:25
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23956898.easyjet-southend-airport-calls-flights-base/

Well, there were three aircraft on the ground at once on Sunday achieved by an extra being flown in from LGW for the day. Photo shoot for a new base press release?

pabely
2nd Dec 2023, 00:41
Well, there were three aircraft on the ground at once on Sunday achieved by an extra being flown in from LGW for the day. Photo shoot for a new base press release?
The one which positioned in from Gatwick did an Alicante & back because the normal EJU from AMS went sick.

Expressflight
2nd Dec 2023, 07:01
They've sold their renewables business which they hope allows them to pay of debt and gives them more time to find a buyer for Southend. The company will then be wound up and anything left will go to shareholders. Is that about it?

Also reckons Carlisle will be sold by the end of the financial year, which sounds optimistic.

Yes, that's broadly correct.

It was essential that the Renewables sale was completed and that was achieved yesterday. The balance sheet suggests that SEN can thus continue normal operations until the start of 2025 when the money will run out. As you say any surplus from the sale proceeds will go to the shareholders but the current share price suggests there isn't much confidence of that being a substantial sum.

Now the question is will a buyer be found within the next 12 months? There have been suggestions that Carlyle may wait until Esken is unable to repay their loan and they would then take SEN by default but I believe that is pure speculation.

Expressflight
2nd Dec 2023, 07:43
The one which positioned in from Gatwick did an Alicante & back because the normal EJU from AMS went sick.
Perhaps more likely crewing or something as the LGW aircraft positioned to SEN before the AMS aircraft had even departed for SEN.

Andy_S
2nd Dec 2023, 10:20
Calls are growing for the budget airline to add more routes to its popular list of destinations, after it was revealed that easyJet will lose 90 flights a week from Gatwick Airport as they are given to British Airways next summer.

What does that actually mean? Flights aren't just taken away from one airline and given to another.

Does it mean that Easyjet are surrendering slots at Gatwick? Thats not quite the same thing.......

vectisman
2nd Dec 2023, 10:33
What does that actually mean? Flights aren't just taken away from one airline and given to another.

Does it mean that Easyjet are surrendering slots at Gatwick? Thats not quite the same thing.......

In summer 2021 BA leased 230 weekly slots to Easyjet at Gatwick. These slots are now being returned over the next couple of years as BA and
BA Euroflyer increase Gatwick operations. 90 weekly slots are being returned for Summer 2024 to BA/BA Euroflyer.
In addition, Easyjet struggled in Summer 2023 to operate 80 to 85 aircraft from Gatwick. You may remember they had to cancel many flights during the summer period.
In summer 2024 based aircraft at Gatwick will be up to 10 less than this year. Several A319s have already left Gatwick for the scrap yard and 3 A320s are off to Birmingham for the new base being
opened at that airport.

Andy_S
2nd Dec 2023, 10:49
In summer 2021 BA leased 230 weekly slots to Easyjet at Gatwick. These slots are now being returned over the next couple of years as BA and
BA Euroflyer increase Gatwick operations. 90 weekly slots are being returned for Summer 2024 to BA/BA Euroflyer.
In addition, Easyjet struggled in Summer 2023 to operate 80 to 85 aircraft from Gatwick. You may remember they had to cancel many flights during the summer period.
In summer 2024 based aircraft at Gatwick will be up to 10 less than this year. Several A319s have already left Gatwick for the scrap yard and 3 A320s are off to Birmingham for the new base being
opened at that airport.

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense. So Easy are losing 90 slots, not 90 flights. And it sounds like they don't have the capacity to fully utilise those slots in any case. So it's not as simple as Easy needing somewhere to relocate routes and metal displaced from LGW.

vectisman
2nd Dec 2023, 11:16
Its more a case of operational capacity. 90 slots a week is equal to 45 departures and 45 arrivals per week so about 6 to 7 round trips per day.
The remaining 140 slots that will need to be returned, probably over the next year or so, will equal 70 departures and 70 arrivals per week so about another 10 round trips per day.
I believe easyjet will use more 321s at Gatwick to offset some of the capacity loss.
Apologies to this thread for going off topic.

LTNman
2nd Dec 2023, 16:33
https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/23963432.southend-airport-talks-airlines-new-routes/

SOUTHEND (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/) Airport has revealed it is “on track” to beat its 2019 passenger performance and is “in talks with existing and new airlines” for new routes

southender
3rd Dec 2023, 09:13
We’ve been ‘in talks with existing and new airlines’ for years now. It’s about time some of these produced results.

TartinTon
3rd Dec 2023, 13:03
All airports are always in talks with airlines. Such a politician's comment. It would only be news if an airport said that they weren't in talks with airlines!

Expressflight
3rd Dec 2023, 14:20
All airports are always in talks with airlines. Such a poltician's comment. It would only be news if an airport said that they weren't in talks with airlines!

But you can bet any potential buyer will want to see full details of such talks.

TheSpiddalKid
3rd Dec 2023, 15:58
In talks could easily just mean you ring the reception desk at head office once a month and don’t get put through as they are always out or busy.

It doesn’t prove you’re speaking to the right people, nor does it give any indication of an airlines likelihood of setting up shop.

in sales talk, it’s you’re conversion rate that matters.

jmdavies86
4th Dec 2023, 10:31

Well considering that they've voluntarily removed the commercial passenger licence, I can't exactly see a queue of buyers.

I wonder whether they'll try to combine/offload CAX to whoever the new buyer of SEN will be as they won't want to be left with it as a stand-alone 'non-core' asset.

asdf1234
5th Dec 2023, 04:48
There have been suggestions that Carlyle may wait until Esken is unable to repay their loan and they would then take SEN by default but I believe that is pure speculation.

The recently released interim results state that cash runs out in November 2024, unless the current Carlyle debt instrument can be renegotiated to both extend its maturity from May 2024 to December 2025, and also remove the need to pay ongoing interest on the debt until the maturity date.

Whilst there is no firm information from Carlyle on how this is playing out, I doubt that they would be initiating legal action now if they were amenable to improving the debt terms in Esken's favour, pending a sale to a third party.

So it is pure speculation in the absence of firm information to suggest that Carlyle will take the airport by default, however this does look like the most likely scenario given the information we have seen in the public domain.

My bet is Carlyle Global Infrastructure to be the owners of SEN before the end of 2024.

LTNman
5th Dec 2023, 06:05
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/worst-airport-lounges-uk-which-b2457905.html
​​​​​​​Southend Airport’s (https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/southend-airport) Skylife Lounge has taken the bottom spot in a list of the UK’s best and worst airport lounges, according to the latest research from Which? (https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/airports/article/best-and-worst-uk-airport-lounges-aesGK0P1j9Vd).The consumer champion’s rankings of the aviation hospitality suites gave just one star to the Essex (https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/essex) airport, which failed to deliver with a £45 entry fee on the door and no shower facilities, quiet zone or sparkling wine for flyers to enjoy.

Expressflight
5th Dec 2023, 07:06
The least of SEN's worries at the moment I should think LTNman.

Flightmech
5th Dec 2023, 07:51
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/worst-airport-lounges-uk-which-b2457905.html

£45! Jesus. No wonder.

ATNotts
5th Dec 2023, 08:38
That leisure travellers can afford £45 for access to an 'executive lounge' beggars belief.

There must be plenty of fools around easily parted from their money! (That applies to lounges in general, not singling out SEN).

LTNman
5th Dec 2023, 09:34
With often just one departure is the £45 lounge passenger trying to get away from the crowds? I actually wonder if anyone actually uses it seeing that Southend has won awards for its airport experience.

Flightmech
5th Dec 2023, 09:52
That leisure travellers can afford £45 for access to an 'executive lounge' beggars belief.

There must be plenty of fools around easily parted from their money! (That applies to lounges in general, not singling out SEN).

I looked to fly SEN-CDG next week. At the time the outbound was pricing at £43.99, less than the lounge!

Whaupshank
5th Dec 2023, 14:43

According to the Esken Website Carlisle will be sold together with a Site they own at Widnes. Terms are under negotiation and completion is expected by end of February 2024. No mention of the purchaser.

DC3 Dave
5th Dec 2023, 16:19
The Skylife Lounge has been closed since the airport reopened post covid. Now you just get to sit in a reserved section of the Pilot Bar and enjoy complimentary nibbles. Still, anything to enjoy the envious stares of the plebs before boarding.

Expressflight
5th Dec 2023, 18:20
The recently released interim results state that cash runs out in November 2024, unless the current Carlyle debt instrument can be renegotiated to both extend its maturity from May 2024 to December 2025, and also remove the need to pay ongoing interest on the debt until the maturity date.
My bet is Carlyle Global Infrastructure to be the owners of SEN before the end of 2024.

My reading of the Esken interim results differs from yours. The loan that Esken are trying to re-negotiate a new maturity date from its current May 2024 until December 2025 is an Exchangeable Bond from a lender other than Carlyle. The Carlyle Convertible Debt Instrument is a £125m, 7 year facility that matures in July 2028 with an option for Carlyle to convert it into a 30% equity holding in London Southend Airport at any time during that period. The current Esken 'plan' is that early settlement of that Convertible debt will be made upon the sale of LSA.

It is obviously important that Esken are successful in renegotiating the repayment date of the Exchangeable Bond to maintain liquidity and if they are successful then Carlyle could only convert their Convertible loan to a 30% equity stake in LSA in the interim and I doubt they will do that.

Whaupshank
5th Dec 2023, 19:00
My reading of the Esken interim results differs from yours. The loan that Esken are trying to re-negotiate a new maturity date from its current May 2024 until December 2025 is an Exchangeable Bond from a lender other than Carlyle. The Carlyle Convertible Debt Instrument is a £125m, 7 year facility that matures in July 2028 with an option for Carlyle to convert it into a 30% equity holding in London Southend Airport at any time during that period. The current Esken 'plan' is that early settlement of that Convertible debt will be made upon the sale of LSA.

It is obviously important that Esken are successful in renegotiating the repayment date of the Exchangeable Bond to maintain liquidity and if they are successful then Carlyle could only convert their Convertible loan to a 30% equity stake in LSA in the interim and I doubt they will do that.
This is correct. The main Exchangeable Bond Holder has 69% of this debt and seems content with the proposal which also means Esken are saved the Interest meantime. Holders are offered a 10% additional payment in December 2025 instead. A Bondholder meeting is to be held soon with 75% of votes cast required for the proposal to succeed. Voting against the proposal would almost certainly see most of the Bondholders investment lost if they forced Esken into Administration in May 2024.

asdf1234
5th Dec 2023, 22:56

You are correct Expressflight. The exchangeable bond was issued seperate to the CGI debt and I am mistaken in conflating the two. The CGI debt is worth circa £175m on redemption which I'm guessing CGI would prefer over a 30% share in the (loss-making) airport. The exchangeable bond is secured against shares in LDG Plc and is the junior of the debt on the balance sheet that totals £328m.

Expressflight
6th Dec 2023, 06:41
This is correct. The main Exchangeable Bond Holder has 69% of this debt and seems content with the proposal which also means Esken are saved the Interest meantime. Holders are offered a 10% additional payment in December 2025 instead. A Bondholder meeting is to be held soon with 75% of votes cast required for the proposal to succeed. Voting against the proposal would almost certainly see most of the Bondholders investment lost if they forced Esken into Administration in May 2024.

Thanks for that additional information which adds some perspective to the prospects for the successful renegotiation of the Exchangeable Bond.

AirportPlanner1
7th Dec 2023, 16:27
PMI is rising to 8x weekly next summer with extra flights added on the missing day (Tuesday, I think) and a second on Fridays. Every little helps.

Expressflight
3rd Jan 2024, 10:41
Aeroitalia announcement due today.

Should be three destinations. Bergamo currently on the booking system 6 x weekly commencing 25th March 2024.

davidjohnson6
3rd Jan 2024, 10:45
Aeroitalia announcement due today.
Should be three destinations.
Aeroitalia at Heathrow did not go well. Are we sure it's going to work at Southend ?

SWBKCB
3rd Jan 2024, 11:01
Do we know why it did not go well? I would expect charges to be considerably lower

Markushillman
3rd Jan 2024, 11:33
Advertisement will be key for this one, as most people will automatically go and book Ryanair from Stansted. Hopefully Aeroitalia at least give it time, although they have been a bit chop and change with routes since their launch and still seem a bit up in the air. Hopefully will be a success. Although like many, I'm skeptical how long this lasts.

Expressflight
3rd Jan 2024, 11:38
Aeroitalia at Heathrow did not go well. Are we sure it's going to work at Southend ?
Of course we aren't sure it will be a success and no doubt the usual posters will be fervently hoping it won't be.

davidjohnson6
3rd Jan 2024, 11:52
Of course we aren't sure it will be a success and no doubt the usual posters will be fervently hoping it won't be.
Cutting multiple routes at LHR after less than a month is unusual at best. I've flown with Aeroitalia a few times last year - even on trunk routes like Rome-Milan, aircraft have been very empty. Aeroitalia last year had an extremely high churn rate of routes - made Ryanair look as patient as a saint. They outsource some flying to subsidiary Air Connect - an airline whose last minute flight cancellation rate was extraordinarily high last year, even when the weather was good.
I've used SEN many times, despite not living in Essex. I want SEN to remain a commercial airport not become office space. I wish Southend well. Really, I do. However, based on the past, there's reason to be sceptical on Aeroitalia at Southend.

SWBKCB
3rd Jan 2024, 11:55
Advertisement will be key for this one, as most people will automatically go and book Ryanair from Stansted. Hopefully Aeroitalia at least give it time, although they have been a bit chop and change with routes since their launch and still seem a bit up in the air. Hopefully will be a success. Although like many, I'm skeptical how long this lasts.

They are hardly unique in chopping and changing routes. I would imagine they are significantly better known in Italy, and may well attract an inbound market.

Markushillman
3rd Jan 2024, 12:04
They are hardly unique in chopping and changing routes. I would imagine they are significantly better known in Italy, and may well attract an inbound market.

Indeed, although they will definitely need an outbound market too for this to be a success. Looks at the minute just the one route for Southend.

Markushillman
3rd Jan 2024, 12:07
Cutting multiple routes at LHR after less than a month is unusual at best. I've flown with Aeroitalia a few times last year - even on trunk routes like Rome-Milan, aircraft have been very empty. Aeroitalia last year had an extremely high churn rate of routes - made Ryanair look as patient as a saint. They outsource some flying to subsidiary Air Connect - an airline whose last minute flight cancellation rate was extraordinarily high last year, even when the weather was good.
I've used SEN many times, despite not living in Essex. I want SEN to remain a commercial airport not become office space. I wish Southend well. Really, I do. However, based on the past, there's reason to be sceptical on Aeroitalia at Southend.

Despite all this I saw that they managed to make a small profit

SouthernAlliance
3rd Jan 2024, 12:09
Seems they operate the 738 and would imagine it will be rather dense for this route, could understand more if an E70/90

AirportPlanner1
3rd Jan 2024, 13:00
Wow, did not see this coming at all. Assume the other two routes would be Rome and Comiso given the former obviously is a solid city break destination and the latter lacks a London route since Ryanair stopped.

One thing in Bergamo’s favour is its proximity to Lakes Como and Garda which will be a selling point to Essex’s holidaymakers. A little sceptical of longevity however.

Expressflight
3rd Jan 2024, 13:22
Indeed, although they will definitely need an outbound market too for this to be a success. Looks at the minute just the one route for Southend.

Rome and Catania supposed to be imminent also.

pabely
3rd Jan 2024, 20:25
Wow, did not see this coming at all. Assume the other two routes would be Rome and Comiso given the former obviously is a solid city break destination and the latter lacks a London route since Ryanair stopped.

One thing in Bergamo’s favour is its proximity to Lakes Como and Garda which will be a selling point to Essex’s holidaymakers. A little sceptical of longevity however.
Me too, have they got any local travel agents to promote this route from UK end. Can see RYR killing this quite quickly with silly prices from the x4 daily STN established route.

EI-BUD
4th Jan 2024, 01:28
Great news for Southend. Bergamo as an example is a great city break destination. The airport is close to Bergamo, I was there this year and loved the place. Let's hope they have some good tactics to land their brand to the catchment that is around SEN and with some luck they'll attract some good London inbound business from Italy.

​​​​​​

Jamesair1
4th Jan 2024, 07:25
Bergamo is also marketed as MILAN (Bergamo) as an entry point for Milan....especially by Ryanair. It should do well.

SWBKCB
4th Jan 2024, 07:30
Bergamo is also marketed as MILAN (Bergamo) as an entry point for Milan....especially by Ryanair. It should do well.

The airport markets itself as Milan Bergamo

https://www.milanbergamoairport.it/en/

Expressflight
5th Jan 2024, 19:23
Start up airline Ascend Airways, fronted by ex Titan Airways MD Alastair Willson son of Titan founder Gene Willson, will station aircraft at SEN as well as previously indicated at LGW. It's expected that initial crew training will also be carried out at SEN. Their first aircraft will be B738-82R-W G-HODL, ex LY-BUS.

DC3 Dave
6th Jan 2024, 08:34
Start up airline Ascend Airways, fronted by ex Titan Airways MD Alastair Willson son of Titan founder Gene Willson, will station aircraft at SEN as well as previously indicated at LGW. It's expected that initial crew training will also be carried out at SEN. Their first aircraft will be B738-82R-W G-HODL, ex LY-BUS.

Certainly has been a lively start to the year for SEN. The Italian job and now another two aircraft to be based here.

pabely
6th Jan 2024, 12:17
Certainly has been a lively start to the year for SEN. The Italian job and now another two aircraft to be based here.
All jobs on LinkedIn show LGW based. Is the SEN connection only cheap parking when waiting for next job? Obviously if they get some good contracts, will anything actually run through SEN?

DC3 Dave
6th Jan 2024, 12:43
All jobs on LinkedIn show LGW based. Is the SEN connection only cheap parking when waiting for next job? Obviously if they get some good contracts, will anything actually run through SEN?

It has been clear for some time now. Esken - two Ascend. 🥴

On a slightly more serious note, On the Ascend website it makes a clear statement: Aircraft based at Gatwick and Southend. It does not state anything about cheap (slightly embarrassing) temporary parking at the latter.

Expressflight
6th Jan 2024, 13:59
This is just a thought and I have no evidence to back it up but their website states that, perhaps as part their efforts to improve aviation's sustainability, they will suggest possible alternative departure points to clients to avoid unnecessary positioning. If they had operational bases at SEN and LGW that policy would be easier to apply for the LON market.

Ascend are also not just offering ACMI services but ad hoc charter capacity as well where this aspect may come more into play.

DC3 Dave
6th Jan 2024, 14:33
This is just a thought and I have no evidence to back it up but their website states that, due to their environmentally friendly credentials, they will suggest possible alternative departure points to clients to avoid unnecessary positioning. If they had operational bases at SEN and LGW that policy would be easier to apply for the LON market.

Ascend are also not just offering ACMI services but ad hoc charter capacity as well where this aspect may come more into play.

Let’s not forget SEN supplies 25% of its electricity requirement from its own solar farm. Gamechanger? Probably not, but given what you say regarding their stated environmental commitments, probably a factor considered alongside many others when Ascend made their decisions.

LTNman
6th Jan 2024, 15:11
This is just a thought and I have no evidence to back it up but their website states that, due to their environmentally friendly credentials. .

Flying is not environmentally friendly. It is the opposite.

davidjohnson6
6th Jan 2024, 15:16
Whenever an aviation related company talks about the environment, there is always greenwash involved. However companies can try to minimise whatever environmental evils they commit. One should encourage any attempts at doing the right thing when such an option exists, even if profit is the primary motive.

DC3 Dave
6th Jan 2024, 15:23

Neither is a great deal of human activity. Not really the point. You have to be seen to be green nowadays. Anyway, give some credit where credit is due, Southend Airport must have reduced its CO2 emissions more than any other London Airport in the last three years.

LTNman
6th Jan 2024, 15:31
Money talks and this is all about money and nothing else. I can remember Viscounts taxiing on two engines, were they trying to save the planet back in the day when the environment was never a consideration or were they saving money?

A little bit of honesty would go along way that by saving money they will reduce the environmental damage their airline will cause but they are not environmentally friendly. If they were they would be a zero emissions airline.

davidjohnson6
6th Jan 2024, 16:00
Zero emissions airlines do not and will not exist for decades. Newtonian laws mean that in a non-frictionless environment you have to expend energy to travel anywhere. We as a society have not yet managed to achieve large scale energy generating fusion reactors. (I really do hope we will succeed with fusion one day.) Fission power generation on an airplane is not being actively considered by main commercial transport vehicle manufacturers (except for a few heavy duty ice breakers taking tourists to the Arctic and Antarctic). For now, batteries to store energy from wind or hydro power are far too heavy for flights over long distances. Basic biology means that even a human being going for a stroll has higher CO2 emissions than one lying on the sofa. We're therefore stuck with carbon based energy sources for much of transport until at least 2050.

If you want zero transport emissions, it means staying in bed for the rest of your life. When you put the bed sheets in the washing machine, don't forget the CO2 you are creating. We all seek credit from our fellow humans when we do something good - it is human nature. Criticising Ascend for trying to do the right thing where they have the possibility of choice and expecting zero emissions... is frankly unrealistic. Some want to live like a Greta-inspired monk or nun. Others do not.

Expressflight
6th Jan 2024, 16:06

I think perhaps in my earlier post I should have described Ascent's stated efforts to improve aviation's sustainability more accurately. I have changed my wording to:
"their website states that, perhaps as part of their efforts to improve aviation's sustainability, they will suggest possible alternative departure points to clients to avoid unnecessary positioning."
They certainly don't claim in any part of the their ESG Strategy statement to be 'environmentally friendly', as obviously no aviation enterprise could claim that at present.

pabely
7th Jan 2024, 13:33
Potentially more damaging for the airport is articles like this https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/01/06/southend-airport-sale-setback-loan-carlyle-group
Investors will read such things and won't bother.

Expressflight
7th Jan 2024, 14:50
Potentially more damaging for the airport is articles like this https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/01/06/southend-airport-sale-setback-loan-carlyle-group
Investors will read such things and won't bother.

That's been common knowledge since the end of September 2023.

pabely
7th Jan 2024, 17:01
Not saying it wasn't but to keep coming up in National & Financial press is going to make it a continuous struggle.

stewyb
11th Jan 2024, 12:28
Good grief, airport promoting a price drop already on Aeroitalia seats!

SWBKCB
11th Jan 2024, 12:42
Introductory offers for a new flight? Normal practice surely. :=

stewyb
11th Jan 2024, 12:47
Introductory offers for a new flight? Normal practice surely. :=

6 weekly on a 738 seems like madness