PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet-6

Pages : 1 [2] 3

MANFAN
25th Apr 2022, 16:01
Phone them

Yes have done, I was on the phone in a queue whilst asking on this forum…it seems I have to go to the airport and check it in there and pay whatever they charge.

toledoashley
25th Apr 2022, 16:40
As far as I am aware, you can only book a bag online for the flights you have booked (i.e. it has to be a return if you book a return). If you try to do it either at the airport, or via the call centre - the last time I tried, they charged double! So basically the same of what a return would be!!

Albert Hall
25th Apr 2022, 18:12
Just book the flights as one-ways with each leg in a separate booking, and include the bag on the one you want. Don't whatever you do go to the airport and try to sort it there - it'll cost you a fortune.

davidjohnson6
8th May 2022, 08:50
Reading from a normally reliable blog, that the 156 seat A319s will be changed to 150 seats, so that 1 fewer cabin crew is needed. I can see the logic, but not sure of the veracity of whether it's going to happen. Is there any truth in this ?

DC3 Dave
8th May 2022, 11:30
Reading from a normally reliable blog, that the 156 seat A319s will be changed to 150 seats, so that 1 fewer cabin crew is needed. I can see the logic, but not sure of the veracity of whether it's going to happen. Is there any truth in this ?

I have seen this, believe it’s a temporary measure because of the shortage of cabin crew right now.

SWBKCB
8th May 2022, 13:12
By taking out the back row of seating on its A319 fleet, EasyJet said it will be able to fly with three cabin crew instead of four. That would limit numbers on board to a maximum 150 passengers. EasyJet said it was an effective way of operating the fleet while "building additional resilience and flexibility" into the airline's operations. Flights would still meet Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) regulations on the required number of cabin crew, which is based on the number of physical seats, rather than passengers on board.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61370175

VickersVicount
8th May 2022, 16:12
That last row space would make great space to pile all those far too many /too big cabin bags…

Rwy in Sight
8th May 2022, 18:26
How long will take to actually remove all those rows from each aircraft?

TartinTon
8th May 2022, 18:41
A missed opportunity for extra revenue. Monarch did the same thing on their 320s and 321s and created 5/6 rows of extra legroom seats and charged accordingly.

Downwind_Left
8th May 2022, 19:55
How long will take to actually remove all those rows from each aircraft?

About 30 min per aircraft. Its 2 sets of seats per aircraft. Remove seats. Update weight and balance schedule and related documents. Done.

Downwind_Left
8th May 2022, 20:01
A missed opportunity for extra revenue. Monarch did the same thing on their 320s and 321s and created 5/6 rows of extra legroom seats and charged accordingly.

But that requires the whole aircraft to be reconfigured. Every seat re-pitched, oxygen masks moved. Significant down time for the aircraft. And given for easyJet this is a specific, short term issue, it will be quick to undo later.
Sadly for Monarch, it didn't save the airline.

TartinTon
8th May 2022, 20:17
But that requires the whole aircraft to be reconfigured. Every seat re-pitched, oxygen masks moved. Significant down time for the aircraft. And given for easyJet this is a specific, short term issue, it will be quick to undo later.
Sadly for Monarch, it didn't save the airline.
1/ Depends where you remove the seats from.
2/ This was done a long, long time before the airline started making catastrophic decisions to kill itself.

Albert Hall
8th May 2022, 20:31
The very back row (Row 26) is coming out of the 319s, and for the exact reasons that Downwind_Left says, the rest of the seats are being left exactly as-is.

I'm guessing / hoping the poster is joking about this being a perfect place to pile cabin bags. With no way of securing the bags such as a pannier or net (which would be a mod to install) then the space from which the seats are removed can't be used.

SWBKCB
15th May 2022, 20:45
EasyJet is to offer new and existing cabin crew a £1,000 bonus at the end of the summer holiday season, as airlines battle to retain and recruit staff. The airline said the payments would acknowledge crews' contributions to what it expects to be a busy summer, with travel at near pre-Covid levels.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61460378

ib26uk
19th May 2022, 09:57
Just had an email from easyJet

Flights up too and including the 8th May 2023 on sale now !!

Del Prado
24th May 2022, 18:39
Easy have cancelled a lot of their LGW-TLS flights yesterday/today/tomorrow. Any idea why?

pabely
24th May 2022, 20:19
Had a sick A321N which has upset schedules

Vokes55
24th May 2022, 20:27
21 cancellations yesterday and 16 today out of LGW caused by one “sick” A321?

Lack of crew is the real answer.

Del Prado
24th May 2022, 21:17
Thanks guys. Covid making a return or just general shortages?

looks like it’s going to be a tough summer.

AirportPlanner1
24th May 2022, 22:21
Thanks guys. Covid making a return or just general shortages?

looks like it’s going to be a tough summer.

Probably both, illness can’t be covered easily because there’s not enough to step in. Whisper it quietly but it’s still not over, even if people want it to be. The signs are there again. Notices up as you walk around, ‘Sorry kitchen closed due to unforeseen circumstances’, ‘Sorry opening at X/closing at X due to unforeseen circumstances’. Multiple people at work have gone down with Covid, multiple people I know have. And some of these already had it recently, within last couple of months

davidjohnson6
25th May 2022, 08:44
Easyjet to cut number of based aircraft at Berlin from 18 to 11

ib26uk
25th May 2022, 15:12
I`ve been wondering why easyJet doesnt fly to Cardiff (CWL) Surely flying from BFS-GLA-EDI to CWL would be a good move... I would certainly use it

I know Bristol Airport is not that far away but Heathrow isnt far from Gatwick either so ?!

bycrewlgw
25th May 2022, 16:36
I`ve been wondering why easyJet doesnt fly to Cardiff (CWL) Surely flying from BFS-GLA-EDI to CWL would be a good move... I would certainly use it

I know Bristol Airport is not that far away but Heathrow isnt far from Gatwick either so ?!

It’s probably a case of why would they need to when passengers will travel to BRS to fly with them? The extra costs of either having a route to CWL isn’t needed when passengers travel across the bridge already.

OzzyOzBorn
26th May 2022, 00:18
It is not enough to reason that a route 'might work'. To be worthwhile for the airline, deploying scarce aircraft resources on that route must be more lucrative than any alternative use that aircraft could be put to within a similar timeframe. Yield is key.

Denti
26th May 2022, 11:16

Eurowings will offer to take over the surplus easyjet crews, and wants to increase its BER base by roughly the same amount of aircraft. Easyjet is directly handing a competitor a considerable marketshare in its only german base.

toledoashley
26th May 2022, 13:36
Seems to be a bit of a meltdown going on - substantial number of flights cancelled this afternoon.

USERNAME_
26th May 2022, 13:37
Seems to be a bit of a meltdown going on - substantial number of flights cancelled this afternoon.

Apparently, due to a major IT failure in Ops/Crewing.

fanrailuk
26th May 2022, 13:56
Apparently, due to a major IT failure in Ops/Crewing.

EasyJet flights cancelled after “system failure” (https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/easyjet-flights-cancelled-today-system-b2088049.html)

Del Prado
26th May 2022, 14:13
Yeah, it was pretty bad at Gate 54 today. Santorini, Aberdeen, Geneva, Toulouse and many more cancelled.

All the flights that were cancelled were given the same gate number which caused a massive crowd to gather. No PA and the shouted announcements just weren’t getting through.
No one could get through the crowd to other gates either.

Felt sorry for people off to their first holiday in years and the couple going to Geneva for a wedding. And the ground staff too, not their fault.

jdcg
26th May 2022, 15:18
Any indication as to why this is? Berlin seemed to be the key element of their Germany strategy, but maybe margins were really weak

pabely
26th May 2022, 15:37
Any indication as to why this is? Berlin seemed to be the key element of their Germany strategy, but maybe margins were really weak
I think you have your answer, more money to be made elsewhere.

SWBKCB
27th May 2022, 21:07
easyJet’s decision to cancel about 240 flights over 10 days had been prompted by a combination of issues affecting operations, a spokeswoman said. She said: “We have taken the decision to make advance cancellations of around 24 Gatwick flights per day starting from tomorrow 28 May until 6 June. We are very sorry for the late notice of some of these cancellations and inconvenience caused for customers booked on these flights however we believe this is necessary to provide reliable services over this busy period. Customers are being informed from today and provided with the option to rebook their flight or receive a refund and can apply for compensation in line with regulations.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/may/27/uk-airports-ports-and-roads-under-pressure-as-half-term-getaway-begins

Tonyq
27th May 2022, 22:30
It seems that in their haste to get back to 2019 levels of activity and revenue generation, easyJet have bitten off significantly more than they can chew. I made two A319 flights this week. Both were over an hour late and both were on down-seated aircraft with only 3 cabin crew. Today's announcements suggests a significant imbalance between published schedules and available resources. I wonder if they will be able to correct this, in the short term, or if this will be the pattern of cancellations for the whole Summer?

The costs of all this, both monetary and reputational, will be significant, and reflect badly on the decisions of the leadership team. It's obviously early in the Summer, and much could change, but you have to wonder if Wizz will come back with another takeover bid, and if Lundgren, and his team, will survive?

AirLCY
27th May 2022, 22:35
It seems that in their haste to get back to 2019 levels of activity and revenue generation, easyJet have bitten off significantly more than they can chew. I made two A319 flights this week. Both were over an hour late and both were on down-seated aircraft with only 3 cabin crew. Today's announcements suggests a significant imbalance between published schedules and available resources. I wonder if they will be able to correct this, in the short term, or if this will be the pattern of cancellations for the whole Summer?

The costs of all this, both monetary and reputational, will be significant, and reflect badly on the decisions of the leadership team. It's obviously early in the Summer, and much could change, but you have to wonder if Wizz will come back with another takeover bid, and if Lundgren, and his team, will survive?

I’ve flown three return trips in the last two weeks with a mixture of airlines, easyJet and Wizz equally delayed from LGW, easyJet still no catering other than drinks and Pringles….I think all airlines are suffering, remember BA took an axe to schedules at least twice so far this summer

vectisman
28th May 2022, 07:03

I think you will find Wizzair has enough operational issues it it’s own!

Albert Hall
28th May 2022, 07:41
Chatting to a few easyJet people in the last 48 hours, there seems to be an expectation and a hope of a wholesale management team change. The level of animosity towards one in particular is quite extraordinary. And there are rumblings that another is increasingly unwell and a third simply out of their depth. It doesn’t sound at all good.

jdcg
29th May 2022, 20:33
I'm getting the full Easyjet experience tonight at GVA. Flight to LGW cancelled with 3 hours notice. Switched to LTN flight and that now 2 hours late. Will mean Thameslink to London and, while wife gets taxi home to Hackney, I have to go on to LGW to pick up the car and then drive home, as she needs it first thing... what are the odds on getting the full EU261 compensation?

pabely
29th May 2022, 21:22
If you live in Hackney why did you not fly Swiss from LCY?
Keep your Thameslink receipt, you might be able to claim that! But seriously they did get you from GVA to London. I think the next LGW was canx as well.

Tonyq
29th May 2022, 23:14
I'm getting the full Easyjet experience tonight at GVA. Flight to LGW cancelled with 3 hours notice. Switched to LTN flight and that now 2 hours late. Will mean Thameslink to London and, while wife gets taxi home to Hackney, I have to go on to LGW to pick up the car and then drive home, as she needs it first thing... what are the odds on getting the full EU261 compensation?

I see from the tracker they claim 'exceptional circumstances' as it was an ATC restriction which caused the crew to go out of hours. When they use those words, it usually means they don't intend to pay.
But, depending on the precise circumstances, you may be able to argue that they should have had more operational resilience.
I hope that you, your wife, and your car, eventually got home.

SWBKCB
30th May 2022, 06:58
But, depending on the precise circumstances, you may be able to argue that they should have had more operational resilience.

Good luck with that!

jdcg
30th May 2022, 08:08
I see from the tracker they claim 'exceptional circumstances' as it was an ATC restriction which caused the crew to go out of hours. When they use those words, it usually means they don't intend to pay.
I hope that you, your wife, and your car, eventually got home.
Thank you, we did! 5am in my case....

jdcg
31st May 2022, 20:54
If you live in Hackney why did you not fly Swiss from LCY?
Keep your Thameslink receipt, you might be able to claim that! But seriously they did get you from GVA to London. I think the next LGW was canx as well.

Swiss was too expensive at the time. In all honesty, I'd be happy if they covered the train ticket costs and have no great desire to chase for anything more.

davidjohnson6
1st Jun 2022, 12:42
Easyjet has cancelled a significant number of flights at Gatwick, but Luton seems unaffected. Anyone able to say why one base should be so lacking in staff, while the other is not ?

FRatSTN
1st Jun 2022, 15:29
​Easyjet has cancelled a significant number of flights at Gatwick, but Luton seems unaffected. Anyone able to say why one base should be so lacking in staff, while the other is not ?​​​​​​

That may not be the case. Given the size of the Gatwick operation it's probably easier to strip out and consolidate loads.

John Boeman
3rd Jun 2022, 09:11
Anyone know how much of this Easyjet cabin crew shortage has more to do with a new contract being ‘offered’ to them than it has to do with covid?

pabely
3rd Jun 2022, 09:33
New contract being offered to Berlin based crews to move to other bases since the reduction of flights from BER. Everywhere else, if you are on a contact then that should stand.

easyflyer83
3rd Jun 2022, 22:22
Anyone know how much of this Easyjet cabin crew shortage has more to do with a new contract being ‘offered’ to them than it has to do with covid?

I think this is a case of Chinese whispers.

davidjohnson6
7th Jun 2022, 07:45
The half-term and jubilee period is over, but Easyjet still seem to be cancelling flights just a few hours before departure... and the press seem happy to report this with great glee. This presumably leads to a loss of confidence by the public, with people choosing to book with other carriers to some degree.

Under Carolyn McCall, one of the big things was to stabilise the operation, ensure reliability and improve OTP. As a passenger, you knew that if Easyjet sold a ticket, the flight would almost always operate and generally be on time. That seems to have collapsed, with a chaotic "winging it" approach instead - fine for a tiny start-up airline mortgaged to the max... but not for a major company

Why is Easyjet unable to achieve operational stability and decide (and communicate to pax) even 24h in advance what it can or cannot deliver ?

stewyb
7th Jun 2022, 08:10
The half-term and jubilee period is over, but Easyjet still seem to be cancelling flights just a few hours before departure... and the press seem happy to report this with great glee. This presumably leads to a loss of confidence by the public, with people choosing to book with other carriers to some degree.

Under Carolyn McCall, one of the big things was to stabilise the operation, ensure reliability and improve OTP. As a passenger, you knew that if Easyjet sold a ticket, the flight would almost always operate and generally be on time. That seems to have collapsed, with a chaotic "winging it" approach instead - fine for a tiny start-up airline mortgaged to the max... but not for a major company

Why is Easyjet unable to achieve operational stability and decide (and communicate to pax) even 24h in advance what it can or cannot deliver ?

Have you not been keeping up with news over the past few days and weeks? Not for one second suggesting it’s acceptable but why target EZY when this is a well known industry wide problem!

davidjohnson6
7th Jun 2022, 08:26
It's not industry wide. Ryanair at STN seem to be very stable and reliable.
I could understand that over half term with large crowds, Easyjet was having to deal with a short term surge, and operational reliability would suffer. However post surge, they still seem to be chaotic. Easyjet know the numbers of crew and aircraft available... I don't see why somebody senior at HQ cannot decide *in advance* what is operationally achievable and what is not, and communicate this publicly. Tell people in advance, and they can work around it (and Easyjet can avoid EU261 claims) - getting an email while in the car to the airport to say the beach is cancelled is far too late.

Running an airline with a large leisure focus is about taking money now in return for delivering a service in a month or more. Without consumer confidence that the service will be delivered... the consumer will purchase from another airline, including those high-fare (and profitable) late notice bookings

2Planks
7th Jun 2022, 20:02
It's far from industry wide. Following the Press the main culprits appear to be Easy, BA and Wizz. I have not seen any reports 're cancellations on Virgin, Ryanair or Jet2. (With the exception of a few flights on Sunday after it took a while to remove an FR from the runway at Yeadon with a failed tyre.)

The issue with airports seems to be more general, but improving in many cases.

The Companies that are well run in a crisis will emerge as the winners. Management skill ebbs and flows over time, as line crew it's unfortunate if you are with a poorly managed airline in a downturn as it will be you that suffers, not the ones at the top of the tree.

davidjohnson6
7th Jun 2022, 23:02
The bean counters are not thinking about reputational damage to the corporate brand. It's very difficult to put a number on it - but the people in marketing and PR will know all about this

eye2eye5
8th Jun 2022, 09:02
If reputational risk isn’t high on the CEO’s agenda then the company won’t survive very long.

22/04
8th Jun 2022, 09:07
Or the CEO.

I know she isn't everyone's cup of tea but I can't believe this would have happened on Carolyn's watch. If it had she would have been out thee on the media much more too.

flying pancake
8th Jun 2022, 12:33
Does Stephen Hester (Chairman?) have a pulse?
Is he the true turn around king that his reputation might suggest or is the chairman's chair just too comfortable to justify any action? When will the media actually penetrate the true facts from all parties involved - who, why, when etc; plus report demonstrable evidence of when things will improve?

The BBC is supposed to educate and inform, these are not light entertainment issues to fill news programmes. I guess I will just not book any foreign travel until I can be reassured and have the confidence to part with my money.
I have already been down the recover-my-money route from these repeat travel industry offenders and have neither the time or inclination to repeat the process.

davidjohnson6
20th Jun 2022, 09:27
A little late... but finally focussing on reliability
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61862788

DP.
20th Jun 2022, 11:44
A little late... but finally focussing on reliability
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61862788

Quite a few cancellations to/from MAN today. A family member was meant to be on one of them this afternoon, but had a message in the early hours of the morning putting it down to a 'technical issue with the aircraft'.

nguba
4th Jul 2022, 11:18
Peter Bellew has resigned from easyJet with immediate effect:

Chief Operating Officer (http://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/easyjet1/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=2&newsid=1602124)

easyJet announces that, with effect from 1 July 2022, Peter Bellew has resigned as Chief Operating Officer to pursue other business opportunities and in the meantime is committed to ensuring a smooth transition. The Board would like to thank Peter for his hard work over the last two and half years and wishes him well in his future endeavours.

David Morgan has been appointed to lead the operations function as interim COO, reporting directly into Johan Lundgren. David has been with easyJet since 2016, including almost a year as interim COO in 2019 when he oversaw operations, delivering significant improvements in operational performance during that time.

Johan Lundgren, CEO of easyJet, commented:

“I would like to thank Peter for his hard work and wish him well. Everyone at easyJet remains absolutely focused on delivering a safe and reliable operation this summer.

“I am pleased that Operations will be in the very capable hands of David Morgan who can move seamlessly into this role having previously led the operation, as interim Chief Operating Officer, throughout 2019.

“David has significant experience and deep knowledge of the business and operation and will provide strong leadership for the airline this summer.”

easyJet remains absolutely focused on our daily operation and continues to monitor this very closely, having taken pre-emptive action to build further resilience for the summer due to the current operating environment. The airline continues to operate up to 1700 flights each day and carry up to 250,000 passengers.

Tonyq
4th Jul 2022, 11:34
Peter Bellew has left easyJet with immediate effect:

Chief Operating Officer (http://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/easyjet1/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=2&newsid=1602124)

Lundgren should be next.

He has been a catastrophic appointment.

All the brand loyalty, credibility and strength which was built up on Carolyn's watch has been destroyed. He has turned easyJet into a joke brand, which non-one trusts or believes in.

It will take years, and a very different style of leadership, to get them back to where they were, when he arrived..

tubby linton
4th Jul 2022, 11:37
Peter Bellew has left easyJet with immediate effect:

Chief Operating Officer (http://otp.investis.com/clients/uk/easyjet1/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=2&newsid=1602124) Will he be borrowing one of Varadkar’s speeches for his goodbye message?

lfc84
4th Jul 2022, 11:45
Trying to imitate Ryanair

pabely
4th Jul 2022, 11:48
Will he be borrowing one of Varadkar’s speeches for his goodbye message?
But he got another job in Gov, I doubt this guy will.
Few others need to go quick or the CEO himself!?

allnamestaken1
4th Jul 2022, 12:28
Lungdren should be next to go and sooner the better.

SealinkBF
4th Jul 2022, 13:49
Lundgren should be next.

He has been a catastrophic appointment.

All the brand loyalty, credibility and strength which was built up on Carolyn's watch has been destroyed. He has turned easyJet into a joke brand, which non-one trusts or believes in.

It will take years, and a very different style of leadership, to get them back to where they were, when he arrived..

Would Carolyn have coped differently given present situation affecting airports and staffing across the world?

toledoashley
4th Jul 2022, 13:59
Carolyn inherited a huge mess after Andy went - operationally a mess, and managed to turn that around with extra helpings of customer service and humanity.

Tonyq
4th Jul 2022, 15:29
Would Carolyn have coped differently given present situation affecting airports and staffing across the world?

No one can answer that, for sure, but Lundgren had set them on a race to the bottom, long before Co-Vid, and the appointment of Bellew was part of this.

My main point was that brand value, image and reputation, which have been destroyed over the last few months, will only be rebuilt with a different leadership style. Sacking Bellew might buy Lundgren a bit of time, but you can be sure that the die is pretty much cast.

Mr A Tis
4th Jul 2022, 15:56
Agree the COO is the fall guy, the issues rest much higher up. Strange how the Irish airline is just about the only European airline operating more flights than they did pre covid with almost no cancellations.
The easyJet situation is similar to the chaos at Manchester Airport- the MD resigned, but the architects of the broken system remained in place. Both easy & Manchester Airport had issues pre Covid.

davidjohnson6
4th Jul 2022, 16:03
Can the operational issues around reliability and punctuality be substantially improved during the peak of the next 3 months, or will it take a lot longer to do anything significant ?

Yes, significant improvements includes potentially ruffling a few feathers amongst employees - it's difficult to make material changes in a large company without annoying a few people

Jonty
4th Jul 2022, 16:08
Agree the COO is the fall guy, the issues rest much higher up. Strange how the Irish airline is just about the only European airline operating more flights than they did pre covid with almost no cancellations.
The easyJet situation is similar to the chaos at Manchester Airport- the MD resigned, but the architects of the broken system remained in place. Both easy & Manchester Airport had issues pre Covid.

jet2 is doing that as well.

tubby linton
4th Jul 2022, 16:43
The woes of easy are going to be there all summer. It is too late now to turn it around as the tempo increases into the school holidays. Looking at the share price this afternoon I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the rivals makes an offer again.

WHBM
4th Jul 2022, 16:57
jet2 is doing that as well.
[Operating more flights than pre-Covid]

The difference is that Jet2 is controlled by a top executive, chairman Philip Meeson, who not only started off life buying third-hand Handley Page Heralds, but sees his prime goal as sustaining a good business. Easyjet's chairman is a longstanding banker. Easyjet has fallen into the hands of stock market analysts who only look at the next quarter's earnings and stock price in spreadsheets, and don't know one end of an aircraft from the other.

The operations side has fallen out of sync with the sales side, who have demanded bookings and schedules they do not have the resources to operate, whether own staff or contracted in. By now they could have rejigged schedules, not on the day but several weeks/months out, to fit what they have. But the sales would get hit. It's up to the Ops Director to only offer what they can do, not be strongarmed by the sales team.

It's very difficult being the bargain basement LCC operator, when that business plan is based on bottom tier wages, at a time of significant labour shortages. The management just don't have the aptitude to stop their staff being poached by more pleasant (in all aspects) rivals.

2Planks
4th Jul 2022, 20:58
This idiot won't have helped today's schedule:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-62036779

Hopefully he is languishing in a un air conditioned Menorcan cell.

Vokes55
4th Jul 2022, 22:14
Is it really necessary for every thread on Pprune to be taken over by the same 3-4 Jet2 fanboys/employees telling us how wonderful and innovative Jet2 are at every opportunity?

This is the easyJet thread. Recent discussion is about Peter Bellew resigning. Nobody mentioned Jet2 and this discussion is nothing to do with Jet2.

davidjohnson6
4th Jul 2022, 22:31
If you give a class of schoolkids a written test, and almost all the kids can't answer a specific question, then the question is too hard. Equally, if all the kids can answer a question, then the question is too simple.
If half the kids can answer a specific question, and the other kids cannot, then you have found a way to see which kids was paying attention in class or worked hard at homework... and which kids spent too much time doodling and watching TV.

The kids with bad grades will inevitably be compared to the kids with good grades. The kid with bad grades can expect (well meaning) parents and teachers to be asking why it's gone wrong. People don't just shrug their shoulders and accept a kid is destined for failure - they prefer to know why... eg maybe kid has poor eyesight and needs a visit to optician

When one airline has an extended operational meltdown and a similiar one does not... it's absolutely valid to compare and ask why there is a difference... even if the kid with bad grades prefers not to have that conversation - eg kid hates the idea of being called "four eyes" in playground for wearing glasses

I want to see Easyjet back to its old highly competent and effective existence

WHBM
5th Jul 2022, 06:46
Is it really necessary for every thread on Pprune to be taken over by the same 3-4 Jet2 fanboys/employees telling us how wonderful and innovative Jet2 are at every opportunity?

This is the easyJet thread. Recent discussion is about Peter Bellew resigning. Nobody mentioned Jet2 and this discussion is nothing to do with Jet2.
We're certainly not "fanboys", and the comparison is mainly because it's the closest available that makes the point, but for those who can see and know the wider business world context some current and past management styles significantly affect this. We would love Easyjet to be well managed. Currently they are not. Yes there are present external difficulties. Everyone has been faced with those same difficulties. It's what you do about them.

For the sake of accuracy, Peter Bellew departing is connected with a very poor current operational record, and poorly handled on the day, which is not reflected in the extent to which certain other comparable operators of comparable aircraft on the same routes in the same market are experiencing.

Skipness One Foxtrot
5th Jul 2022, 08:47
[Operating more flights than pre-Covid]

The difference is that Jet2 is controlled by a top executive, chairman Philip Meeson, who not only started off life buying third-hand Handley Page Heralds, but sees his prime goal as sustaining a good business. Easyjet's chairman is a longstanding banker. Easyjet has fallen into the hands of stock market analysts who only look at the next quarter's earnings and stock price in spreadsheets, and don't know one end of an aircraft from the other.

The operations side has fallen out of sync with the sales side, who have demanded bookings and schedules they do not have the resources to operate, whether own staff or contracted in. By now they could have rejigged schedules, not on the day but several weeks/months out, to fit what they have. But the sales would get hit. It's up to the Ops Director to only offer what they can do, not be strongarmed by the sales team.

It's very difficult being the bargain basement LCC operator, when that business plan is based on bottom tier wages, at a time of significant labour shortages. The management just don't have the aptitude to stop their staff being poached by more pleasant (in all aspects) rivals.
Stelios' continual friction with the board was around them ordering new Airbus aircraft instead of maximising shareholder value, he made a LOT of noise in not investing in the business and killing any dash for growth. This may explain some of the current cautious mindset, even though his shareholding has been further diluted.

toledoashley
5th Jul 2022, 08:54
There is also the fact that Jet2 and easyJet currently have fundamentally different business models. Jet2 is essentially a UK-based holiday company (where they can hide costs in creating a higher margin through packages), and easyJet which is pan-European, which has toes in both a regional and holiday market.

TOM100
5th Jul 2022, 14:31
I am not sure how you think a company can ‘hide’ costs - the top line and bottom line is the same whatever company you are in. Sure there can be creative accounting but J2 are listed too and have to be pretty transparent. Simple fact seems to be that customers like their product, they seem operationally pretty sound (very few cancellations) and their service is rated. It seems more joined up from the top line sales part to the operational execution.

U2 (inevitably) is no longer a ‘pioneer’ and is now becoming ‘legacy’ with the costs and mindset that goes with that imho. Their current leadership does not inspire confidence.

btw - Jet2 started as a seat only business and identified an IT tours gap - something U2 is trying to tap into poaching several TUI execs. They’ll need to learn quickly tho that to be successful at this you have to actually get people to their destination without a whole load of stress!

SWBKCB
5th Jul 2022, 14:38
There is also the fact that Jet2 and easyJet currently have fundamentally different business models. Jet2 is essentially a UK-based holiday company (where they can hide costs in creating a higher margin through packages), and easyJet which is pan-European, which has toes in both a regional and holiday market.

Yes - Ryanair is a closer comparison

toledoashley
5th Jul 2022, 14:47
I am not sure how you think a company can ‘hide’ costs - the top line and bottom line is the same whatever company you are in. Sure there can be creative accounting but J2 are listed too and have to be pretty transparent. Simple fact seems to be that customers like their product, they seem operationally pretty sound (very few cancellations) and their service is rated. It seems more joined up from the top line sales part to the operational execution.

U2 (inevitably) is no longer a ‘pioneer’ and is now becoming ‘legacy’ with the costs and mindset that goes with that imho. Their current leadership does not inspire confidence.

Ryanair/Wizz just sell you an airline ticket and ancillaries, and therefore to make their money they need a low cost base. For Jet2, it doesn't matter so much if their costs are higher to run the airline, as they can make it up on the margin they make on the package. Its something easyJet has started to do with its rollout of easyJet holidays.

TOM100
5th Jul 2022, 15:08
Agreed - but you can’t ‘hide’ costs they are just allocated somewhere else. easyJet can do the same.

WHBM
5th Jul 2022, 16:06
Just like I have been peremptorily told above that "this discussion is not about x", it's likewise not about whether you have other aspects of the business. The compared operations are all significant airlines, many bases the same, serving the same airport pairs, with crewing, handling agents, fuel price inflation, etc, all the current issues, and yet their day-to-day operating issues and customer experiences are turning out very different.

FRatSTN
5th Jul 2022, 17:58
EasyJet's current struggles are fundamentally down to it's business strategy. Prior covid, they aligned themselves a competitor to the legacy carriers, taking advantage of number one or two network positions at primary, slot constrained airports. A strategy no doubt born out of the fact they had a good presence here already and could no longer compete with the likes of Ryanair and Wizz on cost. I'm not knocking them for that, it's a strategy that's worked well for them over the years.

Covid has shifted the sands in a way nobody ever thought possible, and yes, slot rules have given a great deal of protection. However, government bailouts to home carriers and the opportunities taken by other airlines to get into slot constrained airports, even prior to Covid, will make EasyJet have to rethink the way it grows in future. I think EasyJet Holidays came about from that realisation to some extent.

With that comes the network shift. Key long established markets like Berlin, where EasyJet have struggled to maintain market share, the closure of three UK bases and reductions in regional Italian airports. I do wonder what the future network strategy will be, and whether it is more bucket and spade, as competitors return traffic at a greater rate. I personally do not see EasyJet as having a long term future without some sort of acquistion or consolidation somewhere along the line, but I do wish them and their people well through what are still extraordinary times.

GayFriendly
5th Jul 2022, 18:13
I am SLF with more than a passing interest in the aviation business, hence my presence here

I think the comparison between EZY and LS is highly relevant and cannot be batted away like an annoying wasp just because it doesn't fit an individual's narrative

I, like millions of others who fly, whether regularly or just once a year, don't give a flying fig about boardroom politics, management styles, operational differences and how costs are allocated, hidden or written off.

For me and millions of other passengers, they are on the outside, similar airlines flying from similar UK airports to similar destinations across Europe.

We care about both airlines getting us there safely and ideally on time, at a good price (pricing points are obviously individual to all), being treated like human beings and having problems resolved to the best of everyone's abilities on the day when things go wrong.

I have taken 3 return Jet2 flights this year (2 from LBA, 1 from BHX) without any issues at all apart from a 1 hour delay BHX-EFL, with great service in the ground and in the air

I have taken 3 flights with EasyJet this year (2 from MAN and 1 from BHX) all of which were rescheduled at inconvenience to myself, then delayed and in one instance, cancelled on the day (MAN-BER) leaving me high and dry

For me an millions of others, the proof of the pudding is what happens on the day, not how they cannot be compared because of backroom differences.

For me it's definitely Jet2 1: EasyJet 0

DaveReidUK
5th Jul 2022, 19:04
I, like millions of others who fly, whether regularly or just once a year, don't give a flying fig about boardroom politics, management styles, operational differences

We care about both airlines getting us there safely and ideally on time

Are you suggesting that those two sets of considerations have no bearing on each other ?

GayFriendly
5th Jul 2022, 21:27
Are you suggesting that those two sets of considerations have no bearing on each other ?

No I'm not so based purely on my own personal experience of flying this year, Jet2 back of house management is clearly a lot better than EasyJet's....I'm flying with EasyJet on Friday so let's see

By the way if my next 3 flights with Jet2 are equally or more than shabby as my last 3 with EasyJet I'll be calling Jet2 out too!!

WHBM
7th Jul 2022, 07:29
The media accounts of Easy mishandling of booked passengers with last-minute cancellations are just multiplying

easyJet reported after families left to sleep on airport floor due to cancelled flights (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/easyjet-reported-after-families-left-to-sleep-on-airport-floor-due-to-cancelled-flights/ar-AAZioJD?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=e03211c7712b46ccb2ba49d25c5cfa34)

In truth, from other accounts they do not sound the worst - accounts of how Wizz are just leaving people high and dry, even when seated in the aircraft for departure, come in even more as "couldn't care less".

Like the Consumers Association in the linked article, one wonders just when the CAA will wake up to their oversight responsibilities.

CCFAIRPORT
28th Jul 2022, 11:41
13 new Routes from Lisbon (all begin from end of october)

Barcelona
Bergamo
Bilbao
Birmingham
Fuerteventura
Gran Canaria
Limoges
Marrakesh
Marseille
Tenerife South
Toulouse
Valencia
Zurich

CabinCrewe
28th Jul 2022, 13:31
Maybe concentrate on getting their house in order before more expansion

Jamesair1
28th Jul 2022, 14:22
This will hardly be music to the ears of Ryanair who have been attempting to get more slots at Lisbon for quite some time.

Denti
28th Jul 2022, 16:16
Three 321NEO will be based in Lisbon for the winter, the list above is just the first batch, a second will come in a little while.

Dct_Mopas
28th Jul 2022, 19:55
Maybe concentrate on getting their house in order before more expansion

Well they have.

It was carnage for a while but a reduction in the summer schedule means easyJet has now stabilised and back on a normal footing.

CabinCrewe
28th Jul 2022, 20:45
Well they have.

It was carnage for a while but a reduction in the summer schedule means easyJet has now stabilised and back on a normal footing.
Not sure an emergency cull of timetable can be classed as a normal footing….

jethro15
28th Jul 2022, 22:58

I bet that some comfort to the travelling public who were inconvenienced for them to attain your perception of their current position.

Atlantic Explorer
29th Jul 2022, 07:17
Well they have.

Sorry, I’m not sure my very recent experience of numerous Easyjet flights quite tallies with your statement! If that’s “normal footing” then I certainly won’t be booking them again.

Dct_Mopas
29th Jul 2022, 10:16
Sorry, I’m not sure my very recent experience of numerous Easyjet flights quite tallies with your statement! If that’s “normal footing” then I certainly won’t be booking them again.

The issue I was referring to was the volume of flight cancellations occurring in recent months. They’ve now stopped, the operation has stabilised and people are now able to travel without the headlines/ worry of flight cancellations.

To get to this point the summer schedule was reduced but that process was completed many weeks ago and as such people aren’t being messed about anymore due to easyJet operational issues.

Multiple issues with ground handling, ATC slot restrictions and delays which are affecting every airline. The “normal footing” point of view is correct with regards to easyJet’s level of flight/ cabin crew availability which they have direct and immediate control over and which were causing lots of cancellations earlier in the summer.

SKOJB
6th Sep 2022, 09:16
When are Summer ‘23 flights released? Thanks

pabely
6th Sep 2022, 09:47
If you have an account on their App they should E-Mail you, but usually during September.

Dct_Mopas
6th Sep 2022, 14:41

Last time I heard it was 21st September

CCFAIRPORT
8th Sep 2022, 08:31
new route ! and new destination

Lisbon to Beauvais (BVA) 3pw
Begins October 2022

https://www.lobservateurdebeauvais.fr/beauvais-tille-easyjet-debarque-a-beauvais-avec-une-premiere-ligne-vers-lisbonne/

cavokblues
8th Sep 2022, 08:50
new route ! and new destination

Lisbon to Beauvais (BVA) 3pw
Begins October 2022

https://www.lobservateurdebeauvais.fr/beauvais-tille-easyjet-debarque-a-beauvais-avec-une-premiere-ligne-vers-lisbonne/

Strange one that, EZY don't usually like a direct fight with Ryanair.

davidjohnson6
9th Sep 2022, 09:00
Yesterday (Thursday 8 September), Easyjet had something of an operational meltdown at Gatwick with a large number of cancellations. Ryanair by contrast had delays of an hour or two to many flights at Stansted... but it looks like FR flights did actually fly albeit late.
Would anyone able to say what happened ?

lfc84
9th Sep 2022, 09:04
https://twitter.com/Gatwick_Airport/status/1567908578480033793

Poor weather across Europe and air traffic control restrictions are causing delays and cancellations at Gatwick, which will continue for the rest of the day. We apologise to any passengers who have been impacted by today’s disruption.

EI-BUD
10th Sep 2022, 03:51
Strange one that, EZY don't usually like a direct fight with Ryanair.
In their infinite wisdom they've called the destination 'Beauvais-Tille', this is not going to sell very well without the Paris in the name. Few would know where Beauvais is and not many would search for same ....

allnamestaken1
24th Sep 2022, 16:15
Any ideas when Easyjet going to release more of the summer 23 schedule.

MKY661
28th Sep 2022, 14:13
Last time I heard it was 21st September

Obviously haven't come through yet, but I hopefully would assume it's in the next few weeks

lfc84
28th Sep 2022, 14:16
EARLY OCTOBER

MKY661
28th Sep 2022, 20:09
EARLY OCTOBER

Thank you

ezycrew
29th Sep 2022, 08:44
6th October they will be released !

ib26uk
29th Sep 2022, 10:23
6th October they will be released !

Any surprise new routes from Birmingham to Europe coming up in the new timetables..... beyond LIS-BHX !?

MKY661
6th Oct 2022, 20:35
Actually just seen they're doing a big renumbering of the flight numbers from Summer 2023, my usual commute of EZY1963/1964 is becoming EZY2267/2268. Must be a good reason to do a complete renumbering?

GayFriendly
7th Oct 2022, 07:39
Looks like nothing new from BHX for summer 23 😥 am amazed Nantes is back as it had very low loads and fares were soft and equally amazed that LIS isn't bookable after March!

As for the unserved BER, LYS, VIE, MXP they remain in the BHX destination graveyard, I keep hoping EZY will launch these but no sign of any appetite for any significant growth by EZY at BHX.

SWBKCB
7th Oct 2022, 07:43
Aren't new routes normally launched separately to the main schedule?

R T Jones
8th Oct 2022, 09:40
Expected to see additional routes announced over the coming weeks and months. They often add and remove frequencies as they see how they sell.

OltonPete
8th Oct 2022, 11:41
Looks like nothing new from BHX for summer 23 😥 am amazed Nantes is back as it had very low loads and fares were soft and equally amazed that LIS isn't bookable after March!

As for the unserved BER, LYS, VIE, MXP they remain in the BHX destination graveyard, I keep hoping EZY will launch these but no sign of any appetite for any significant growth by EZY at BHX.

At least it wasn't a copy and paste.

There is some good news in there with Edinburgh ending up 15 per week the best so far although starts at 13 dips to 10 but by 29 June is 15 and is 3 daily Friday and Sunday although makes a mockery of this winters Sunday reduction to once daily.

Belfast ends up at 27 per week which again for summer is high although does dip to 22 at times.

Glasgow also 17 per week at times, which isn't bad

Nantes is a difficult one as it started so badly with many cancellations but once it settled down it showed some promise. August was 2547 pax at 142 per flight at 85% load factor and although that is not really an easyjet August load factor and as you say fares were often light they must feel it is enough to give it another go.

Lisbon I fear will be a while due the horse-trading of slots but Malaga is the odd one as back to its original frequency of 4 per week (reduced to 2 this summer) and then ends 8th May!!!!.

Pete

UncleBe
9th Oct 2022, 16:35
Is there a list of easyjet group bases and number of aircrafts per bases?

I have seen one from 2017, easyJet4 thread.
Would like to see updated list of bases, number of aircrafts bases there.

Severn
11th Oct 2022, 02:19
Is there a list of easyjet group bases and number of aircrafts per bases?

I have seen one from 2017, easyJet4 thread.
Would like to see updated list of bases, number of aircrafts bases there.

In August 2022, the bases were as follows (the larger bases normally have aircraft on standby, or in mx so numbers can fluctuate by a few aircraft).

easyJet UK
EnglandLGW​ - 82 (3x night-stop in ABZ, INV & MAD)
LTN​ - 24
MAN​ - 20
BRS​ - 18
LPL​ - 6ScotlandEDI​ - 8
GLA​ - 5Northern IrelandBFS​ - 7

easyJet Europe
FranceCDG​​ - 11
ORY​​ - 6
LYS​​ - 6
NCE​​ - 5
BOD​​ - 4
NTE​​ - 3
TLS​​ - 2ItalyMXP​​ - 28 (3x night-stop in LIS, PMO & CTA)
NAP​​ - 6
VCE​​ - 3GermanyBER​​ - 17 (1x night-stop in LIN)SpainPMI​​ - 6
BCN​​ - 5
AGP​​ - 5PortugalLIS​​ - 6 (1x MXP based aircraft night-stoping)
OPO​​ - 6
FAO​​ - 4NetherlandsAMS​ - 10

easyJet Switzerland
SwitzerlandGVA​ - 17
BSL​ - 10

Seljuk22
22nd Oct 2022, 08:21
Based on the information published Berlin will be reduced to 11 and Lisbon to be increased up to 9 this winter. Next summer Edinburgh gets an additional one and will be 9 as well.

MKY661
9th Nov 2022, 11:04
Lisbon I fear will be a while due the horse-trading of slots but Malaga is the odd one as back to its original frequency of 4 per week (reduced to 2 this summer) and then ends 8th May!!!!.

Pete

BHX-AGP now dropped completely. EDI-AGP also gone as well as some other routes

EZYPZY
9th Nov 2022, 11:52
BHX-AGP now dropped completely. EDI-AGP also gone as well as some other routes

Several long established routes such as LPL>MAD and LPL>KRK also seem to have got the chop.

pabely
9th Nov 2022, 12:49
The planes will go where the best money is, if yields are poor the route gets pulled, simples.
Maybe the competition will benefit but not the customer with overall less choice and higher prices.

CabinCrewe
9th Nov 2022, 18:49
The ABZ INV MAN were always a bit iffy and a short term grab

pabely
29th Nov 2022, 11:48
I see G-EJCA & G-EJCC reserved for some A320s, next years cover until deferred NEOs start arriving again more to come?

azz767
29th Nov 2022, 14:36
Are we ever likely to see A21N at MAN? With easyJet announcing a 21st based MAN aircraft for next summer I would have thought there is plenty of demand for the extra seats.

I know LGW will take priority for the 21’s but surely MAN would now warrant a couple?

GrahamK
29th Nov 2022, 17:46
Are we ever likely to see A21N at MAN? With easyJet announcing a 21st based MAN aircraft for next summer I would have thought there is plenty of demand for the extra seats. I know LGW will take priority for the 21’s but surely MAN would now warrant a couple? Think MAN capacity being upped with A319s becoming A320s too.

​​​​​​​EJU use A321Neos from Milan on certain days too​​​​​​​

pabely
29th Nov 2022, 18:03
More likely 319 to 320 as the next 321NEO is not due for a year now.

DomyDom
29th Nov 2022, 18:22
Great to see further expansion at MAN with a new RMU service from May 2023. Given that an additional aircraft will be based are we likely to see some more new routes announced soon?

Tonyq
29th Nov 2022, 18:29
I see G-EJCA & G-EJCC reserved for some A320s, next years cover until deferred NEOs start arriving again more to come?

I saw a report on Twitter that says these (and four more) are on six years leases. Coming from Japan, ex-ANA/Peach

Tonyq
29th Nov 2022, 18:32
Are we ever likely to see A21N at MAN? With easyJet announcing a 21st based MAN aircraft for next summer I would have thought there is plenty of demand for the extra seats.

I know LGW will take priority for the 21’s but surely MAN would now warrant a couple?

BRS have also had two A321's for some time.

jethro15
29th Nov 2022, 19:10
I saw a report on Twitter that says these (and four more) are on six years leases. Coming from Japan, ex-ANA/Peach
04 more yet to be confirmed. Deal not yet done!

FlyboyUK
30th Nov 2022, 07:44
First of the ex ANA aircraft has been delivered. To enter service in the spring

davidjohnson6
30th Nov 2022, 20:30
Interesting article about Easyjet in Italian - Google Translate works well
https://italiavola.com/2022/11/30/easyjet-continua-a-essere-un-aerolinea-leisure-il-business-travel-sceglie-altro/

The core of the article is that Easyjet's attempt to attract business travellers by adding capacity to business-centric routes, apart from UK domestic, has not met the success desired. Easyjet's average fare remains low between October and June - average fares peak significantly in July, August and (less so) September. Yes, fares at Easter and Xmas spike for a week or so, but that happens with all airlines. Thus, Easyjet remains a (rather seasonal) leisure airline.

I wasn't aware that May and June was quite so disappointing.. but the obvious question is then what should Easyjet's senior management do next in terms of strategy, particularly as they can't win on CASK against Ryanair and have not been able to attract enough business travellers from IAG/AF-KL/LH to significantly affect revenues. Trying to be a clone of Jet2 or TUI is unlikely to succeed without clear differentiation

There's more analysis (I'm guessing many have already seen this) on Easyjet, Norwegian, Ryanair and Wizz at
https://www.gridpoint.consulting/blog/assessing-q3-performance-from-the-european-lccs

The full year results presentation is at
https://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Files/E/Easyjet/pdf/investors/results-centre/2022/2022-fy-results-presentation.pdf

Before anyone decides I'm an Easyjet-hater.... I'm not. I've been a flight club member (yes, the invite-only loyalty scheme) since 2016 and flown with Easyjet over 250 times

toledoashley
1st Dec 2022, 06:28
Interesting article about Easyjet in Italian - Google Translate works well
https://italiavola.com/2022/11/30/easyjet-continua-a-essere-un-aerolinea-leisure-il-business-travel-sceglie-altro/

The core of the article is that Easyjet's attempt to attract business travellers by adding capacity to business-centric routes, apart from UK domestic, has not met the success desired. Easyjet's average fare remains low between October and June - average fares peak significantly in July, August and (less so) September. Yes, fares at Easter and Xmas spike for a week or so, but that happens with all airlines. Thus, Easyjet remains a (rather seasonal) leisure airline.

I wasn't aware that May and June was quite so disappointing.. but the obvious question is then what should Easyjet's senior management do next in terms of strategy, particularly as they can't win on CASK against Ryanair and have not been able to attract enough business travellers from IAG/AF-KL/LH to significantly affect revenues. Trying to be a clone of Jet2 or TUI is unlikely to succeed without clear differentiation

There's more analysis (I'm guessing many have already seen this) on Easyjet, Norwegian, Ryanair and Wizz at
https://www.gridpoint.consulting/blog/assessing-q3-performance-from-the-european-lccs

The full year results presentation is at
https://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Files/E/Easyjet/pdf/investors/results-centre/2022/2022-fy-results-presentation.pdf

Before anyone decides I'm an Easyjet-hater.... I'm not. I've been a flight club member (yes, the invite-only loyalty scheme) since 2016 and flown with Easyjet over 250 times

What I believe easyJet would claim on the holidays front is a couple of things - 1) They currently have more depth in the beach network and are the biggest operator to Greece (which is doing really well in the UK market). 2) They have a lower cost, more simple operation on the packages side i.e. no reps etc - so for people looking just for the simplicity. Not too dissimilar to BA hols.

SWBKCB
1st Dec 2022, 07:39
They currently have more depth in the beach network

What do you mean by "depth"? Is this just Gatwick or across the UK?

CCFAIRPORT
7th Dec 2022, 10:31
2 new routes from Paris Beauvais

Nice 2pw (27/03/2023)
Milan MXP 4pw (07/04/2023)

https://www.courrier-picard.fr/id367613/article/2022-12-07/easyjet-organisera-des-vols-pour-milan-et-nice-au-depart-de-beauvais

pabely
7th Dec 2022, 11:45
2 new routes from Paris Beauvais

Nice 2pw (27/03/2023)
Milan MXP 4pw (07/04/2023)

https://www.courrier-picard.fr/id367613/article/2022-12-07/easyjet-organisera-des-vols-pour-milan-et-nice-au-depart-de-beauvais
I thought the French were taking a dim view on internal flights if equivalent train services exist?

davidjohnson6
7th Dec 2022, 11:53
The no-short-flights-in-France policy has ended up utterly pointless and all about political greenwash.
It's only for cases where the train is under 2.5 hours. The French Govt wanted to give an exception where the flight is mainly connecting pax (e.g. for routes like Paris CDG to Lyon on Air France) but the EU decided this was anti-competitive and forced the French to drop the AirFrance-is-exempt clause. Routes from Lyon, Rennes and Nantes to CDG are not suspended because the EU considers the rail service not to be good enough. Thus the only routes which are now banned are from Paris ORY to Lyon, Rennes and Nantes - all routes which have already been closed. and I imagine the French Govt will ensure that SNCF doesn't make Lyon-CDG too good because it'll destroy a chunk of Air France's feed at CDG. The policy is only temporary and will be reviewed in 3 years time

davidjohnson6
2nd Feb 2023, 12:57
Easyjet to finally get use of "their" terminal back at Milan Malpensa after 3 years
https://italiavola.com/2023/02/02/sea-e-easyjet-annunciano-la-riapertura-del-terminal-2-di-milano-malpensa-dal-31-maggio-2023/

FlyboyUK
3rd Feb 2023, 20:05
Any SLX aircraft due at LGW this year?

Rumour is not and 81 based aircraft at LGW this summer

ib26uk
3rd Feb 2023, 23:23
Excuse my ignorance but what is "SLX aircraft " ??

Double Hydco
4th Feb 2023, 07:50
Excuse my ignorance but what is "SLX aircraft " ??

SmartLynx I’d imagine?

Albert Hall
18th Apr 2023, 11:38
Wonder if someone can answer a question - I may be being slightly naive here - but easyJet reported this morning that easyJet Holidays was "80% sold for the summer". If you are a conventional tour operator with a fixed number of air seats and contracted hotel beds, it's easy to say we're X% sold. If you are buying in air seats on demand and hotels on demand, you don't have the same fixed capacity against which to measure your sales and make such a statement. So when they say "80% sold", the question is 80% of what? Their targets? And if so, shouldn't they be saying so, to ensure that the statement can't be misleading to the market? Apologies in advance if I've missed something important here - but if I have, grateful if someone could point it out!

chaps1954
18th Apr 2023, 15:52
Tour operators have to list the number of pax they plan to sell and place a bond and they go over can get fined

toledoashley
19th Apr 2023, 07:06
Tour operators have to list the number of pax they plan to sell and place a bond and they go over can get fined

Yes, their ATOL will be defined to the number of passengers (although it is something you can go to the CAA and amend if you want to),

Albert Hall
19th Apr 2023, 08:18
Aware of the ATOL situ and I guess it is probably the most likely answer to my question. I just wonder why easyJet make a statement of 80% sold without saying 80% of what - it could be ATOL bonded capacity, it could be an internal sales target ... it just seems like a meaningless statistic in its current form.

SWBKCB
19th Apr 2023, 08:25
It's an impressive sounding number and might encourage anybody dithering to get in quick before they are all gone! The issue is more with the journalists who just repeat the statements without asking the question

lfc84
27th Apr 2023, 12:43
The "Add More Flights +" link in the pricing pane now attempts to direct the traveller to book via Worldwide by easyJet (Dohop) rather than have multiple sectors on the same PNR

Want to add more flights? If you want to add more flights you can do so via Worldwide, or alternatively you are able to do multiple separate bookings on easyjet.com at no extra cost.

VickersVicount
18th May 2023, 18:25
fairly impressive pre tax loss …

ATNotts
18th May 2023, 19:41
fairly impressive pre tax loss …
Yes, but the January to March quarter is always soft.

Albert Hall
18th May 2023, 19:52
Sorry, but a £400m winter loss is a dismal performance. And this (and previous) performance shows in their share price - easyJet shares have lost two thirds of their value since pre-pandemic where Ryanair and Wizz are both at around 10-15% lower.

The winter results show an £11 loss for every seat they flew, and they're reporting an 87.5% load factor - so with not a lot of room for improvement on load factor, their revenue management and cost base is the problem here. For every £1 it cost them to produce a seat, they took in 86p in revenue.

The unrelenting focus on holidays - which should be making a bloody profit given that it apparently doesn't pay the airline for bags and allocated seats given away in every holiday - is a story being frequently used to deflect from some really poor underlying management of what was once a really good business.

Dct_Mopas
18th May 2023, 20:06
Not particularly “dismal”. The last normal winter before Covid they had a winter loss of £272 million. Certainly lots of room for improvement going forward but then again easyJet’s net debt position is far better than it’s competitors (and improving). Headline figures don’t always paint the full picture.

pabely
18th May 2023, 20:07
Very few airlines make any money in the winter. The markets seem OK with it which is what is important. They paid back a £500m bond in the period and net debt is almost nil now.
Good foundations moving forward now into more profitable months.

Albert Hall
18th May 2023, 20:37
The markets seem OK with it which is what is important.

It was in line with the expectations to which they'd previously guided the market, so already priced into the share price. But I go back to that share price - it is in incredibly poor shape compared to that of either Ryanair or Wizz. Ryanair is roughly double the size of easyJet in fleet terms but its market cap is five times more. Wizz is roughly 50% of the size of easyJet in fleet terms but its market cap is only 20% less. Look at Jet2 - about a third of the size of easyJet, but worth two thirds of easyJet's market cap. Either the shares are trading at a huge discount - which doesn't tend to stay that way for long - or the market's underlying confidence level in easyJet's ability to deliver a successful business is lagging a long way behind that of its rivals.

kriskross
19th May 2023, 08:01
Come back Caroline, All is forgiven!

davidjohnson6
19th May 2023, 08:13
What's the profit per A320/B737 airframe for Easyjet, Jet2 and Ryanair ? If Easyjet can get this number up, the share price should follow

Albert Hall
19th May 2023, 08:30
I think it's more a case of come back Cath Lynn, who was the Group Commercial Director. It's progressively lost its way in the five years since she went.

Different financial year ends, but taking the half-year reports for easyJet, they made roughly £350m last summer and lost £411m this winter so annualised loss to 31/3/23 of £61m with 328 aircraft - loss of about £200k per aircraft.

Ryanair forecasting profit of E1.325bn to 31/3/23 so £1.15bn with 523 aircraft = £2.2m profit per aircraft.

Jet2 guiding towards a profit of about £390m to 31/3/23 with 106 aircraft = £3.7m profit per aircraft.

A P&L improvement of £2.5m per aircraft for easyJet to pull them into the same ballpark doesn't sound like much of a stretch, but the problem is that if you're working on about £18m revenue per aircraft, that's quite a big shift when you've also got to achieve that with all 328 aircraft in the fleet.

inOban
19th May 2023, 08:38
I suspect that part of the issue is the collapse in business travel which was a substantial part of their income. They made a big deal about their hubs in major airports.

FRatSTN
19th May 2023, 09:11
Go back 10 years, 5 even, the airline mix in the UK was quite different. You had Ryanair and EasyJet as your key low-cost players, Thomson/TUI and Thomas Cook as the mainstream package holiday providers and the likes of Jet2 and Monarch as smaller, more hybrid outfits.

Now that position has fundamentally changed. Ryanair is the single key low-cost carrier, Jet2 and TUI are the main leisure/package holiday providers (but I think it's fair to say one seems in a much stronger overall position than the other) and now EasyJet is the one in more of the hybrid position.

The main question for me as an investor now would be what is it EasyJet are trying to be? It's clear they can longer compete on cost with the so-called 'ultra LCCs', so is it now all about EasyJet Holidays, or will they re-focus more on business travel as that re-bounds? They still have quite a stronghold on UK domestic and some good slot positions in major European hubs, but that alone is not going to be sufficient to drive longer-term strategic growth.

The problem I see with them attempting a more hybrid model is they won't be able to compete on specifically tailored products or the right kind of route network/schedule with the more specialised providers. History tells you those trying to attempt too much scope, or lack focus on the market they're trying to serve, often doesn't end well. I'm not saying EZY is at the end of the road, far from it, but they will need to find what it is they are trying to be I think if they are to continue as a leading, independent airline.

cavokblues
19th May 2023, 09:14
Interesting how much focus their appears to be in these accounts on the success of easyJet holidays - 80% sold for the summer and a forecast £80m profit and expanding it to Switzerland.

pabely
19th May 2023, 19:17
That's what the board gets appointing an ex TUI guy, but he couldn't get Air Berlin right so that has cost Easyjet dearly. Can't fight LH in their own back yard, even RYR know that.

cavokblues
22nd May 2023, 09:26
Ryanair have an interesting slide in their accounts released today. It compares their costs with competitors and EasyJet are massively behind.

For example, Ryanair pay an average airport fee of €7 per pax whereas easyJet pay €28.

Ryanair also suggest easyJet pay double in terms of aircraft ownership and maintenance and staff costs in € per pax.

They both have similar revenues per passengers.

Interesting challenges for easyJet in how to address that?

SamYeager
22nd May 2023, 16:03
Ryanair have an interesting slide in their accounts released today. It compares their costs with competitors and EasyJet are massively behind.

Begs the question where this info has come from and how much it can be trusted. Is this all public info? If not, then how has Ryanair acquired what I would presume is commercially sensitive data?

cavokblues
22nd May 2023, 17:18
Both PLC's so any good accountant can extrapolate the info (or make a decent estimate of it) from the accounts.

EI-BUD
22nd May 2023, 22:16
Interesting discussion about easyJet. Given that they operate a high proportion of their routes to/from major airport hubs like LGW/CDG/ORY/AMS it's little wonder their average cost is so much higher.

Given an inferior cost positioning to Ryanair, I'd guess the strategy will be to focus on hub airports where they can mop up slots and keep Ryanair out. LIS is an example, easyJet got awarded a nice batch of slots and the limiting factor of slot availability protects easyJet from Ryanair to a large extent. The mentioned airports above all as places looks GVA where FR do not fly give them a degree of insulation. The UK where I would suggest people prefer easyJet to Ryanair, they likely can compete at airports like MAN/LPL/EDI etc. Business travel will continue to recover. That will help. But I believe it's only a matter of time until Wizz and easyJet tie the knot.

Albert Hall
23rd May 2023, 08:37
I'm not sure you could find a room for potential merger talks which would be big enough to house all of the egos for that one. I don't see it myself, but I do agree that until or unless easyJet manage to get their share price back up again, they are definitely a take-over target.

The Ryanair figures yesterday just go to show the true extent of the gap. Yes, easyJet's costs at major airports will be far higher and that's inevitable - but the point of being in those major airports is that your revenue base should also be higher, so your margin should be at least as strong. It very clearly isn't. The easyJet figures are available from their own management presentations and data so are definitely "public domain", which Ryanair reference in their presentation.

Crew costs are interesting. For as long as easyJet keep doing things like flying overnight MAN/DLM/MAN on Saturdays getting back at 5am on Sundays, which takes a crew out for pretty much three whole days, then easyJet's crew-to-aircraft ratio will be a lot higher than Ryanair's. They look to have an increasing number of days where three sets of crew are needed for one aircraft and I can't think that ever happens in Ryanair. On the face of it, it looks very much like poor planning and management of capacity - which is where I happen to think a lot of easyJet's problems lay.

easyflyer83
23rd May 2023, 09:16
I'm not sure you could find a room for potential merger talks which would be big enough to house all of the egos for that one. I don't see it myself, but I do agree that until or unless easyJet manage to get their share price back up again, they are definitely a take-over target.

The Ryanair figures yesterday just go to show the true extent of the gap. Yes, easyJet's costs at major airports will be far higher and that's inevitable - but the point of being in those major airports is that your revenue base should also be higher, so your margin should be at least as strong. It very clearly isn't. The easyJet figures are available from their own management presentations and data so are definitely "public domain", which Ryanair reference in their presentation.

Crew costs are interesting. For as long as easyJet keep doing things like flying overnight MAN/DLM/MAN on Saturdays getting back at 5am on Sundays, which takes a crew out for pretty much three whole days, then easyJet's crew-to-aircraft ratio will be a lot higher than Ryanair's. They look to have an increasing number of days where three sets of crew are needed for one aircraft and I can't think that ever happens in Ryanair. On the face of it, it looks very much like poor planning and management of capacity - which is where I happen to think a lot of easyJet's problems lay.

Interesting analysis and clearly underlines the fact that easyJet is, and has pretty much always been, a different beast operationally.

Ryanair have always been home and in bed by 1am, easyJet less so but highlighting the MAN DLM which, like you say, is only once weekly, and a former TCX slot isn’t a particularly representative argument. Those type of flights are few and far between in the greater scheme and are restricted to the U.K. AOC. It also doesn’t take a crew off roster for three days. They tend to be similar to extended FDP flights to TLV, SSH and HRG, the latter two being ‘trips’ this summer but which will bolster resilience.

I don’t tend to take much notice of financial analysis if I’m honest, more of an operational person, interesting nonetheless and suffice to say the share price is being stubbornly stuck around the £5 mark.

cavokblues
23rd May 2023, 11:36
I find airline financials fascinating.

Ryanair also say they will be growing faster than easyJet over the next few years - up to 660 aircraft by end of 2027 vs up to 380 aircraft for easyJet by end of 2026.

If you are an investor seems to be a no brainer who to go with as one company is promising to deliver more profit and faster growth.

Interesting challenges ahead for the orange company.

SKOJB
23rd May 2023, 13:05
New W23/24 routes set to be announced on Thursday, wonder if any surprises?

nguba
23rd May 2023, 20:36
Former IAG Strategy Director Robert Boyle has written about easyJet and Ryanair's results and their relative cost performance:

https://www.gridpoint.consulting/blog/march-quarter-results-for-europes-airlines

ib26uk
23rd May 2023, 20:53
New W23/24 routes set to be announced on Thursday, wonder if any surprises?

Hopefully the official list of new routes from their Birmingham base...

cavokblues
23rd May 2023, 21:52
Former IAG Strategy Director Robert Boyle has written about easyJet and Ryanair's results and their relative cost performance:

https://www.gridpoint.consulting/blog/march-quarter-results-for-europes-airlines

Interesting - thanks for sharing

fanrailuk
24th May 2023, 07:06
https://twitter.com/seanm1997/status/1661262161333866496?s=46&t=3eix0BTK7C13J3FoL3oePQ

ATNotts
24th May 2023, 07:19
Hopefully the official list of new routes from their Birmingham base...
BHX base operation isn't planned for W23/24 so unlikely, but I suppose they might look to grow their BHX presence this winter on non-based equipment.

BHX5DME
24th May 2023, 07:44
https://twitter.com/seanm1997/status/1661262161333866496?s=46&t=3eix0BTK7C13J3FoL3oePQ
ALC-BHX a dead cert then :-)

RA85684
24th May 2023, 08:47
I’d like to think that BHX, NCL and SEN would be pretty certain. Hopefully. And SOU could be high up on that list.

I do wonder how much of it is just going to be re-distribution of existing routes to a lower cost base from ALC, but we shall see. There should be some new routes.

Maybe BOH, STN and LBA will get a look in?

It’s got to be pretty impossible NOT to consistently fill a flight from any UK departure point, to ALC or PMI.

JER, IOM? Feeling brave (jk)

pabely
24th May 2023, 11:47
A bit of a presumption of any of these. Press release only talked about one UK airport EDI as being key. This will benefit slot restricted airports across Europe before any fan routes from SEN or SOU.

AirportPlanner1
24th May 2023, 12:04
A bit of a presumption of any of these. Press release only talked about one UK airport EDI as being key. This will benefit slot restricted airports across Europe before any fan routes from SEN or SOU.

SEN isn’t really a fan route though, is it? It’s an existing destination from the three traditional Med sun bases already operational.

SouthernAlliance
24th May 2023, 12:19

With strong rumours that it’s when/not if EZY bring in more SOU routes, you would suspect the 4 core sun destinations will be high on their agenda. Currently all U.K. routes to ALC are from bases so some away based flying with the added capacity of a 3 aircraft base should make the likes of SEN/SOU very doable!

Albert Hall
24th May 2023, 12:56
SOU-sun routes apparently on the way for S24, so no doubt the new ALC base will help with that.

inOban
24th May 2023, 13:26
The reference to EDI was in the context of this year's 1.4million. The release gave no indication of whether their targeted 14% increase was to come from organic growth on existing routes, or from new ones.

SWBKCB
24th May 2023, 14:32
easyJet announces further expansion plans with a new seasonal base in AlicanteOperational from spring 2024, the three aircraft new base will create approximately 100 direct job and support many more indirect jobs

This follows the airline's recent announcement that it will be opening a new three-aircraft base in Birmingham, also opening next spring and, with the two new additions, will bring the total number of bases across the network to 30
easyJet will offer 1.6 million seats to and from Alicante next summer, up 16% year on year, further growing its share of the leisure market to serve both airline and easyJet holidays customers for who Alicante has long been a popular summer leisure destination.

easyJet, Europe's leading airline, has today announced the opening of a new seasonal base in Alicante. Operational from spring 2024, this will be the airline's fourth base in Spain and 30th on its European network. The new base will create around 100 direct jobs for pilots and crew and many more indirect local jobs. The new seasonal base will have three aircraft based in this region of the Mediterranean coast, which will allow the airline to offer 1.62 million seats in its first operational summer in 2024. This represents 16% growth compared to the current 2023 summer season, where easyJet will fly 1.4 million seats across 11 routes to key destinations such as Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Geneva and Basel, among others.

Javier Gándara, easyJet's Country Director for Southern Europe, commented:

"We are proud to announce another new seasonal base in Spain, a strategically important market where we continue to grow, boost tourism and create jobs. Alicante is a very attractive destination and we believe that having a base offers great potential to expand our operations in the country, as well as allowing us to improve connectivity to and from the region. With this base we can bring the residents of Alicante closer to European cities of reference and, in turn, we strengthen Alicante’s position on the international tourism map."

The move for further expansion comes following the airline’s plans to open a year-round UK base in Birmingham, where it will also base three aircraft from next spring as part of its strategy to take advantage of key growth opportunities across its network. Investing in a third seasonal base in Spain strengthens easyJet’s network by positioning it as the carrier of choice to serve consumers and capture the continued demand for travel, further growing its share of the leisure market for both the airline and easyJet holidays customers, for who Alicante has long been a popular summer leisure destination.

Alicante joins the airline's seasonal bases in Palma de Mallorca (2017) and Malaga (2021) and Faro (2021), all strategic summer destinations for the airline and amongst the most popular on easyJet's network. Since easyJet started operating from Alicante in 1999 with a first route linking the port city with London Stansted, the airline has carried 27.5 million passengers to and from Alicante and is the 2nd largest international airline at the airport.

So - only a 16% increase on seats being flown this year. This year eleven destinations flown from ALC - and of the four mentioned by name, only one in the UK. Not sure how this reads across to lots of new UK regional flights :confused:

https://mediacentre.easyjet.com/story/15880/easyjet-announces-further-expansion-plans-with-a-new-seasonal-base-in-alicante

RW20
24th May 2023, 14:59
SOU-sun routes apparently on the way for S24, so no doubt the new ALC base will help with that.
A big assumption!,There are many Uk airports including EDI that could be named,but SOU must be in the frame,difficult to know what other aurline would benifit from SOU given there restricted opening hours,certainly there will not be any based aircraft.

Derry321
25th May 2023, 08:29
New Route - LGW-Akureyri (North Iceland) from 31st October TUE/SAT - On sale now

This is an AMAZING part of the world for anyone looking for something unique and still unspoilt - truly the real Iceland (and better than the South for Northern Lights spotting too!)

stewyb
25th May 2023, 08:55
A big assumption!,There are many Uk airports including EDI that could be named,but SOU must be in the frame,difficult to know what other aurline would benifit from SOU given there restricted opening hours,certainly there will not be any based aircraft.

No assumption required RW20, they are on the way! 👍

CCFAIRPORT
25th May 2023, 11:36
SOU-GLA also a new route with EZY

allnamestaken1
25th May 2023, 11:59
And Belfast as well.

ib26uk
25th May 2023, 19:29
Credit goes to SeanM for his incredible twitter account

This is the list of routes launched today by easyJet
-----------------------------------------------------------
Basel - Enfidha

Basel - Funchal

----------------------------------------------------------

Belfast - Southampton

Paris CDG - Birmingham

Paris CDG - Pisa

Paris CDG - London Southend

Paris CDG - Agadir

London Luton - Enfidha

Lyon - Birmingham

Nantes - Lanzarote

------------------------------------------------------------

Bristol - Marrakesh

London Gatwick - Akureyri

Glasgow - Southampton

-------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester - Grenoble

--------------------------------------------------------------

DC3 Dave
25th May 2023, 20:03
I’m so glad to see SeanM’s work being appreciated. So many tried to savage his early posts. IMO he posts early and accurate data that adds much to this forum.

FRatSTN
26th May 2023, 08:07
These new route announcements from EasyJet get more and more baffling each season and re-affirm at lot of what been pointed out only slightly up thread.

It's clear there is an intent on growing and diversifying the EasyJet holidays offering with the likes of Enfidha, Funchal and Akureyri.

On the contrary they add the likes of SOU-GLA and BFS on extremely limited frequency and odd timings. Who are they attempting to target with this and what kind of yield can the realistically expect? I get they could just be testing the waters but you're not going to get a realistic consumer response on such a limited schedule. Surely these aircraft can be put to better use on deepening the frequency of existing core domestic routes?

The CDG-BHX on a daily frequency is a good addition but as to why they've launched 4x weekly CDG-SEN over a STN service I will never know! I expect a lot of backlash from that comment, but I think I've always given fair and realistic contribution here. SEN does well on the bucket and spade, leisure routes (it just needs quite a few more of them) and I'm sure the AMS-SEN service will attract enough of a local catchment in addition to their core London schedule. They're massively restricting their potential market on CDG though with this limited frequency SEN service. That's a route that should easily sustain at least a daily STN frequency. Also surprised GVA hasn't yet returned for winter to either SEN or STN.

laviation
26th May 2023, 08:19
EasyJet have absolutely no presence at STN while at SEN they are the only carrier.. makes much more sense to fly out of SEN where they have a monopoly

cavokblues
26th May 2023, 08:43
These new route announcements from EasyJet get more and more baffling each season and re-affirm at lot of what been pointed out only slightly up thread.

It's clear there is an intent on growing and diversifying the EasyJet holidays offering with the likes of Enfidha, Funchal and Akureyri.

On the contrary they add the likes of SOU-GLA and BFS on extremely limited frequency and odd timings. Who are they attempting to target with this and what kind of yield can the realistically expect? I get they could just be testing the waters but you're not going to get a realistic consumer response on such a limited schedule. Surely these aircraft can be put to better use on deepening the frequency of existing core domestic routes?

The CDG-BHX on a daily frequency is a good addition but as to why they've launched 4x weekly CDG-SEN over a STN service I will never know! I expect a lot of backlash from that comment, but I think I've always given fair and realistic contribution here. SEN does well on the bucket and spade, leisure routes (it just needs quite a few more of them) and I'm sure the AMS-SEN service will attract enough of a local catchment in addition to their core London schedule. They're massively restricting their potential market on CDG though with this limited frequency SEN service. That's a route that should easily sustain at least a daily STN frequency. Also surprised GVA hasn't yet returned for winter to either SEN or STN.

I think all of that is fair and very reasonable.

In Winter Easyjet have, on some days, 10 flights + per day between Luton - Geneva. You think with that appetite there would be some market from SEN or STN.

DC3 Dave
26th May 2023, 08:46

In Winter Easyjet have, on some days, 10 flights + per day between Luton - Geneva. You think with that appetite there would be some market from SEN or STN.

Indeed there is a market from SEN but flights would likely start in December so time yet for an announcement.

cavokblues
26th May 2023, 08:53
True. I think they probably will announce it in due course.

pabely
26th May 2023, 11:54
EasyJet have absolutely no presence at STN while at SEN they are the only carrier.. makes much more sense to fly out of SEN where they have a monopoly
STN have x13 EZY flights today whereas SEN has.....1 and just 1 tomorrow. Sums things up on how far down the pecking order things are for SEN.

mikkie4
28th May 2023, 19:44
Mondays PMI departs 20.25 according to EZY flight page

pabely
28th May 2023, 21:31
Mondays PMI departs 20.25 according to EZY flight page
And what relevance is that?

Cuillin Hills
29th May 2023, 09:12

Just before COVID (Feb 2020) they were operating 4 flights on a Saturday between Stansted and Geneva.

They cancelled two of them on the day one particular Saturday - I wasn’t very happy when I found out one of those cancelled flights was my flight home.

Bewildered passengers and families at GVA airport wandering around trying to work out how they would get home - several other UK EZY flights had also been cancelled. Other UK airlines were operating normally.

david.crosby
30th May 2023, 19:34
Any reason why easyJet don’t have more of a presence from north east airports. I know jet2 and Ryanair have a big presence. Is it too much competition

SWBKCB
30th May 2023, 19:41
Any reason why easyJet don’t have more of a presence from north east airports. I know jet2 and Ryanair have a big presence. Is it too much competition

Can just make more money elsewhere - Ryanair have only increased their presence once EZY moved out.

SKOJB
3rd Jun 2023, 12:11
When is EZY next flight release date?

Una Due Tfc
10th Jun 2023, 23:26
EJU have secured slots at DUB according to the below:

https://aviationsourcenews.com/airline/is-easyjet-returning-to-dublin-ireland/

Brave, considering RYR chased them out of ORK and SNN with extreme prejudice last time they served Ireland. RYR did the same to Wizz also. One to watch....

mikkie4
11th Jun 2023, 08:02
Would be great to see SEN as one of their routes

SWBKCB
11th Jun 2023, 08:23
Would be great to see SEN as one of their routes

Article states slots for only one destination from Dublin, so presumably will be from an EJU base?

davidjohnson6
11th Jun 2023, 08:28
If Easyjet are going to fly to Dublin and minimise the risk of an aggressive fare war, I'm thinking an airport where Easyjet has a dominant presence in terms of LCCs, Ryanair has no presence, and airport fees are sufficiently high to make Ryanair think twice about whether they really want to open a new airport station just out of spite while signalling to other expensive airports that Ryanair will actually pay high airport fees if it really has to and destroying Ryanair's negotiating argument in future. Ideally also an airport with strong winter demand and limited spare slot capacity at peak times for new flights in winter to ensure Easyjet get a chance to establish the route without any further competition beyond what already exists. If there is a locally dominant non-LCC airline, it would be preferable if it has a high cost base and is known for charging high fares, giving Easyjet a clear run. It would also be helpful if any leisure demand originating out of Dublin was aimed at holidays rather than VFR, so encouraging sales via easyJet Holidays - again something on which Ryanair cannot compete. Even better if the city was a strong centre for business and finance, making it harder for Ryanair to pick up late booking high fare corporate travellers.

Maybe somewhere like Geneva ? Or, with a lower chance, Munich / Zurich ?

EZYPZY
11th Jun 2023, 09:19
Article states slots for only one destination from Dublin, so presumably will be from an EJU base?

If I was a gambling man I’d put money on easy Swiss starting GVA > DUB. No direct FR competition there.

atakacs
11th Jun 2023, 10:32
Speaking of GVA any idea why they dropped their MAD flights ? Can't imagine they can't compete with Iberia ?

cavokblues
11th Jun 2023, 11:52
Just wondering if the fact it's down as EJU rule out Switzerland? Aren't Geneva based aircraft under their Swiss operation and would they be listed as Easyjet Europe on ACL?

Una Due Tfc
11th Jun 2023, 12:10
My guess is VIE.

atakacs
11th Jun 2023, 12:46
Just wondering if the fact it's down as EJU rule out Switzerland? Aren't Geneva based aircraft under their Swiss operation and would they be listed as Easyjet Europe on ACL?
Many Easyjet out of Geneva are operated by EasyJet Europe Airline GmbH. Now they admittedly don't have a base in Madrid but I don't see why it would preclude them operating this destination ? Easyjet is flying to other Spanish destination out of Geneva (and actually will be reinstating Madrid by Oct 23, so I guess it was just down to having a more lucrative way of using their resources. Interesting).

planedrive
11th Jun 2023, 13:03
My guess is VIE.

easyJet don't even fly to Vienna, so why would they start a route to Dublin (somewhere else they don't fly to - yet) from there? Personally, if it were to happen, my guess would be Lyon.

Albert Hall
11th Jun 2023, 13:15
Brave, considering RYR chased them out of ORK and SNN with extreme prejudice last time they served Ireland. RYR did the same to Wizz also.

I'd describe it as stupid rather than brave, to be honest. The problem is that everyone who was at easyJet last time they went onto Ryanair's home turf is no longer with the company, and so the trigger for someone to say "look, this is a really bad idea - remember what happened last time?" simply doesn't arise. It will provoke a disproportionate reaction whatever the route is (my guess is that it's LIS-DUB as easyJet keep trying to find ways of using their Lisbon slot horde) and it really is a crazy thing to do. The more you see of easyJet's network management, the more obvious it becomes as to why the airline is under-performing so badly.

EZYPZY
11th Jun 2023, 13:28
But, even if the people who were at EZY the last time they ventured in to ROI territory are no longer there now, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out FR will literally annihilate EZY on any route out of DUB that they compete directly on. I’ll give the bean counters in H89 credit and suggest it’ll be a route that faces no direct competition from FR, until they prove otherwise.

Albert Hall
11th Jun 2023, 13:58
I think you've hit the nail on the head - even if it is a route on which they have no direct competition from Ryanair, their arrival in Dublin will prompt that to change very quickly indeed.

Rutan16
11th Jun 2023, 15:24
I think you've hit the nail on the head - even if it is a route on which they have no direct competition from Ryanair, their arrival in Dublin will prompt that to change very quickly indeed.

Just my deux cent - Ski season Grenoble

dirk85
11th Jun 2023, 16:25
My guess is AMS, CDG, ORY or GVA.

R T Jones
11th Jun 2023, 17:06
If they do start into DUB, it’ll be from an existing EU base that faces no direct competition. FR do DUB/AMS so I’d rule that out, CDG would be my bet. GVA I’d expect the slots to be allocated to EZS and not EJU. Still not sure it’s the smartest thing to do, poking the beast and all that.

cavokblues
11th Jun 2023, 17:22
If it's CDG then we all know FR will just dump the market with €9.99 flights to Beauvais until EZY retreat.

Albert Hall
11th Jun 2023, 18:33
The slots are 2x weekly Wed and Sat. Whatever it is, it’s not a big operation - which makes you wonder all the more why they are bothering. EasyJet’s strategy is to be #1 or #2 in the markets it serves, and they are realistically never going to achieve that in Dublin!

Rutan16
11th Jun 2023, 19:19
The slots are 2x weekly Wed and Sat. Whatever it is, it’s not a big operation - which makes you wonder all the more why they are bothering. EasyJet’s strategy is to be #1 or #2 in the markets it serves, and they are realistically never going to achieve that in Dublin!

Fits perfectly with Grenoble then

SWBKCB
11th Jun 2023, 19:23

Are they doing a Jet2 and serving the holidays arm rather than competing with LCC's?

Albert Hall
11th Jun 2023, 20:12
I doubt it - they aren't licensed as a tour operator in ROI and have said that their next target market is Switzerland to get licensed and start selling easyJet Holidays.

R T Jones
11th Jun 2023, 20:41
Could be a W pattern if only twice a week.

1sky
11th Jun 2023, 21:08
The one thing about GVA is that Ryanair would really struggle to get useful slots during winter weekends.

EI-BUD
11th Jun 2023, 22:32
In my view it can only be GVA or LYS. At such low frequency they'd be the only choices. Distinct possibility that there could be a tour operator in Ireland in the fold making this low risk. In this case any response from Ryanair would be disproportionate to the threat posed by easyJet.

Skipness One Foxtrot
12th Jun 2023, 00:12
Is route planning centralised for all three AOCs or do some do better than others?

Rutan16
12th Jun 2023, 05:10
I doubt it - they aren't licensed as a tour operator in ROI and have said that their next target market is Switzerland to get licensed and start selling easyJet Holidays.

And again points to Grenoble in France - Near enough to Alps and Annecy . already an Easy winter port within the EU.

natmci
12th Jun 2023, 22:46
And again points to Grenoble in France - Near enough to Alps and Annecy . already an Easy winter port within the EU.

easyJet only flies to GNB from the UK and all flights are operated by easyJet UK G- reg AC, which can't fly EU-EU, there is no EZY base there. No EZY services to there are timed for operating a W-pattern either, plus no Wednesday services which is when the slots are (in addition to Sat). Slots are allocated for the whole season, unlikely for GNB given that all other EZY routes to GNB begin in December. There's also competition from FR on the route. I'd be pretty confident in ruling GNB out.

easyflyer83
13th Jun 2023, 03:12

Tbf, that strategy is linked more to its bases than individual markets.

Sober Lark
13th Jun 2023, 17:08
Those slots at DUB are for their 'Fear of flying' experience flights.

Albert Hall
14th Jun 2023, 19:55
They very clearly are no such thing. There is a Wednesday arrival at 1120 as EJU1447 and departure at 1200 as EJU1448, and a Saturday arrival at 0855 and departure at 0935 under the same flight numbers. That's not a "fear of flying" circuit which are ad-hoc in nature anyway.

Seljuk
17th Jun 2023, 11:30
On 31st May EZY moved back to Terminal 2 at MXP. Currently 23 aircraft are based at their largest continental base.

tonyb
25th Jun 2023, 14:38
easyJet cancelled several flights into Funchal today both from mainland Portugal and UK. Reason given is wind other airlines getting in ok some diversions to Porto Santo and coming back later. Do EZY have different limits to say BA?

monkey.tennis
26th Jun 2023, 08:14
easyJet cancelled several flights into Funchal today both from mainland Portugal and UK. Reason given is wind other airlines getting in ok some diversions to Porto Santo and coming back later. Do EZY have different limits to say BA?

looks like widespread cancellations and diversions yesterday. Far from just an easyJet issue.

SWBKCB
26th Jun 2023, 09:10
The impression you get though, is that Easy are far more likely to make pre-emptive cancellations when conditions are forecast to be difficult to protect the subsequent schedule. Be interesting to know if this is fact or perception,

Captain_Caveman
26th Jun 2023, 10:08

I fail to see how you qualify this statement. Do you actually know how many aircraft actually managed to land in Funchal yesterday compared to how many diverted and/or cancelled ?
I’m reliably informed 3 aircraft landed - 1 in the early hours of the morning, 1 around 1600 and another just before midnight.

The British airways flight that you mention diverted to Porto Santo and then flew direct to Tenerife where it overnight delayed and is still there.

atakacs
27th Jun 2023, 14:17
When is EZY next flight release date?
Just did it.
Nothing out of Dublin as far as I can see

BHX5DME
27th Jun 2023, 14:48
Easyjet flights now sale up to 2 June 2024

All BHX flights still showing as W patterns, new routes must be announced soon ?

Albert Hall
27th Jun 2023, 18:34
It looks like they've just rolled over the Summer 23 schedule for S24 for the sake of banging something up on sale. The BHX route schedules for based aircraft aren't there, the new SOU routes launched in winter aren't continued into the early part of S24 (assuming they will be) - it just appears to be a rush to get flights on sale, presumably to avoid Jet2 and TUI who have both been on sale for quite some time for S24 hoovering up all of the bookings to easyJet's detriment.

toledoashley
28th Jun 2023, 06:02
It looks like they've just rolled over the Summer 23 schedule for S24 for the sake of banging something up on sale. The BHX route schedules for based aircraft aren't there, the new SOU routes launched in winter aren't continued into the early part of S24 (assuming they will be) - it just appears to be a rush to get flights on sale, presumably to avoid Jet2 and TUI who have both been on sale for quite some time for S24 hoovering up all of the bookings to easyJet's detriment.

Yes, that’s always the case when they load the new schedule in - minus any service they know they are not operating.

toledoashley
29th Jun 2023, 06:49
EasyJet Birmingham Base destinations:

EasyJet’s Birmingham network (next summer) has been revealed as:

🇪🇸 Malaga
🇫🇷 Paris
🇹🇷 Dalaman
🇩🇪 Berlin
🇪🇬 Sharm El Sheikh
🇮🇨 Tenerife South
🇬🇷 Kos
🇨🇾 Larnaca
🇬🇷 Corfu
🇬🇷 Rhodes
🇪🇸 Barcelona
🇯🇪 Jersey
🇬🇷 Heraklion
🇪🇸 Alicante
🇹🇳 Enfidha
🇨🇾 Paphos

GayFriendly
29th Jun 2023, 15:29
Plus (I'm assuming!) existing routes to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Amsterdam, Lyon, Lisbon, Geneva and Milan (all bookable throughout winter 23/24) plus seasonal Palma, Faro, Naples and Nantes

Making possibly 28 destinations in total for Summer 2024 @ BHX for EZY which will be great news if all the above routes continue next summer.

simoncorbett
29th Jun 2023, 16:37
Also Antalya twice a week

sergy2k
2nd Jul 2023, 10:26
I see easyJet have removed the inclusion of Speedy Boarding with Upfront seats and now require the purchase of a Standard Plus fare. Is this a recent change?

atakacs
2nd Jul 2023, 11:41
I see easyJet have removed the inclusion of Speedy Boarding with Upfront seats and now require the purchase of a Standard Plus fare. Is this a recent change?
It is, although I can't say when they implemented it.
Their are scrapping left and right. For instance removed free name change from flight club.

ib26uk
2nd Jul 2023, 13:09
EasyJet Birmingham Base destinations:

EasyJet’s Birmingham network (next summer) has been revealed as:

🇪🇸 Malaga
🇫🇷 Paris
🇹🇷 Dalaman
🇩🇪 Berlin
🇪🇬 Sharm El Sheikh
🇮🇨 Tenerife South
🇬🇷 Kos
🇨🇾 Larnaca
🇬🇷 Corfu
🇬🇷 Rhodes
🇪🇸 Barcelona
🇯🇪 Jersey
🇬🇷 Heraklion
🇪🇸 Alicante
🇹🇳 Enfidha
🇨🇾 Paphos

When do these routes go on sale?...

SKOJB
2nd Jul 2023, 13:57
Sounds like more EZY routes from other airports will be announced this week according to @SeanM1997

toledoashley
2nd Jul 2023, 16:37
When do these routes go on sale?...

They are already on sale if you want to book them as part of an easyJet Holidays package.

Further new routes for the Winter on sale Thursday (although as we know that will probably mean Wednesday night...)

SKOJB
2nd Jul 2023, 17:55
They are already on sale if you want to book them as part of an easyJet Holidays package.

Further new routes for the Winter on sale Thursday (although as we know that will probably mean Wednesday night...)

Winter or next summer?

planedrive
2nd Jul 2023, 18:46
Winter or next summer?

Winter. New summer routes (flight only) are generally announced December/January. These new BHX routes are all 'easyJet holidays' routes at the moment.

easyflyer83
2nd Jul 2023, 20:27

It changed on 19th June for all bookings made from that date.

It is a bi-product of the fact that you can no longer bring a larger cabin bag simply by booking those seats. This has been changed due to problems accommodating all the larger cabin bags around or very close to rows 1-4. Basically it was causing murder.