PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet-6

Pages : [1] 2 3

OzzyOzBorn
27th Nov 2020, 22:18
Venice is predominantly leisure traffic. And access is severely restricted for vacation travel by Covid measures at this time. The cruise industry - a major factor at Venice - is likely to be the very last sector to return to (a much reduced) "normal". I would speculate that cruises will operate at a fraction of 2019 volumes until well into 2022 at best. So given the need to reduce exposure in the short-term, it makes sense for EasyJet to cut there until business can return more fully. Venice is not alone in facing cutbacks - some bases have been closed, others face reductions too. But one particular challenge for carriers serving Northern Italy is that it is relatively easy for German, French, Benelux tourists to drive there in their own vehicles. And many may choose to do this given the fear of flying in a Covid world - even if we in the industry can point to mitigating measures and low incidence of flight-induced infections. For much of the public, the trust just isn't there yet. Confidence may be slow to return. One advantage of the UK market (from an airline perspective) is its island status. If one is travelling to Italy, then driving from the UK implies an expensive ferry or Euroshuttle (rail) crossing and a very lengthy drive with overnight paid accommodation likely required in both directions. So UK-Italy routes should perform more strongly than those serving more 'drivable' overland jurisdictions.

Jamesair1
28th Nov 2020, 08:07
Thank you for the well reasoned, factual explanation

mariofly12
28th Nov 2020, 20:56
I understand your point of view but Milan is also Northern Italy, a drivable destination and it has been the hotbed of the virus in Italy, yet there Easyjet will reduce fleet just by 1 a/c..And competition abounds at MXP with FR, W6 bases

davidjohnson6
28th Nov 2020, 21:02
Milan's traffic is highly diversified (ie reduces the dependency on a single market sector for pax), and has a large amount of locally originating traffic with a mix of business, VFR, tourism, etc - as opposed to being primarily inbound tourism

OzzyOzBorn
29th Nov 2020, 02:14
davidjohnson6 is correct. But in addition to the valid points he makes, don't underestimate the importance of the cruise ship market at Venice. The cruise industry is comatose for now and will return only very slowly. Milan has no reliance on the cruise business for its passenger flows. But it is a major factor for carriers serving Venice.

MARK 101
29th Nov 2020, 18:20
Only thing is even before the pandemic ,Venice was already putting pressure on cruise companies to scale back due to the effect the numbers were having on the city. this may of course change after the hit Italys tourism industry has taken

Dannyboy39
1st Dec 2020, 09:33
So easyJet are changing their cabin bag policy on flights from next Feb. In essence coming into line with Wizzair preventing people bringing on a large cabin bag. If you booked extra legroom you can bring on an additional large cabin bag. This also penalises people who have already booked and deferred from this summer. Those affected by this will get an offer of “hands free” by checking in their large cabin bags.

davidjohnson6
1st Dec 2020, 13:55
Was Easyjet being significantly out-competed on base airfare by other LCCs who could afford to charge less because other LCCs were bringing in more ancillary luggage revenue and Easyjet was just too generous on luggage allowance ?
Or is it simply a way (effectively) to raise average customer spend, independent of actions of rivals ?

I'm trying to decide whether this unbundling will likely see a (small but non-trivial) decrease in the base air fare that Easyjet charge, so as to compete on price against rivals... or if average air fare will be largely unchanged

FRatSTN
1st Dec 2020, 16:55
Undoubedtly a push for more revenue in the short-term as overhead locker space is hardly at a premium in the current world.

At least as some kind of normal resumes, I'm not so sure this will work out quite how EZY might like to hope. The key difference from the Ryanair/Wizz policies is both still allow any customer to purchase priority boarding for the 2nd larger carry-on, irrespective of seat selection. EasyJet don't appear to be offering that to the majority, standard customers where the only option is to go "hands free" and check-in any additional bag (which of course Ryanair/Wizz still offer as well).

The main purpose of the Ryanair bag policy change in 2018 was to strike the right balance of cabin vs check-in bags as too many were going in the hold causing ground handling issues and delays. In other words, they sell priority to the capacity of the overhead bins, which I think's up to 90 pax, and everything else is checked-in at bag drop. That's also why they stopped selling priority at the gate last minute through the app. To little surprise, in normal times at least, they achieve this regularly with priority often a sell out. All in all, it works very well.

With EasyJet, they quote 42-63 seats depending on aircraft type fall into "up front" or "extra legroom" plus any flexi and easy plus cardholders that are elligable to 2 carry-on's. That would struggle to fill capacity of the overhead bins most of the time and would depend how heavily booked up front seats or flexi/plus customers there are. The result being too many customers forced to check-in additional items leading to more bags going in the hold whilst cabin space still flying partially fresh air. Suddenly they find themselves in the same situation Ryanair were in previously.

May not become an apparent issue while demand is so low, but if and when things pick-up, neither a win-win for airline or customer I fear.

flyingtincan
1st Dec 2020, 19:19
Last time I was on easyJet, in "normal" times, the overhead lockers were full; the cabin crew desperately trying to find room for the last couple of bags.
It was not so much a problem on Ryanair, presumably due to the 90 pax cut off.

racedo
1st Dec 2020, 20:02
Undoubedtly a push for more revenue in the short-term as overhead locker space is hardly at a premium in the current world.

May not become an apparent issue while demand is so low, but if and when things pick-up, neither a win-win for airline or customer I fear.

Easyjet's requirement is to make money, all else is secondary, no matter how much spin the marketing and pr director puts on it.

If customers don't wish to pay more then that is up to them but ultimately customers will pay, whether they like it or not is a wholly different debate.

davidjohnson6
1st Dec 2020, 20:19
racedo - I agree that Easyjet seek to make maximum profit. However, do Easyjet have the pricing power in the market to effectively raise the cost of flying by increasing the cost of luggage items which are larger than a small rucksack ? Or is competition with Ryanair forcing them to lower the headline "basic bum on seat and nothing else" fare while moving more of the revenue into ancillaries ? While I'm quite happy to fly with just a small rucksack that fits under a seat, many pax will want a larger piece of luggage (Mrs Johnson definitely won't stay overnight without her make-up bag) so we really have a disguised fare increase. Some pax will pay - but I'm still wondering if Easyjet really have this control over the market that you seem to suggest. I imagine that Easyjet are doing this now so that it's not really noticed but will take effect for booking done over the Xmas period when people aren't working and are thinking about whether to go away in spring/summer 2021, by which time vaccines will likely be readily available to the elderly/vulnerable and (airlines hope) demand for cross-border leisure travel returns

Partly related, I'm thinking also of the previous "booking transaction fee" that Easyjet used to charge - about £15 per booking, whether it was for one person flying one sector, or a large group flying multiple sectors - which Easyjet eventually abandoned, presumably because rivals didn't use this as a pricing model

brian_dromey
1st Dec 2020, 20:31
The revenue model has also been turned upside down allowing flexible changes up to 14 days before departure and refunds in the case of quarantine has to wreck a lot of their previous revenue.
That said, their policy is nowhere near as generous as BA or Ryanair, for example. their refund performance in my case has also been very poor. Overall I’m not sure that easyJet are heading in the right direction here. The Ryanair & Wizz model actually works well for almost everybody. Backpacks only, carry-on only, small check-in for £12, or the heavier check-in bags, there’s something for most travellers. The deluge of 150 trolley bags are kept out of the cabin, which makes boarding so much less chaotic.

lfc84
1st Dec 2020, 20:59
davidjohnson6

the admin booking fee was per transaction
so it was prudent to add lots of sectors to the reservation

atakacs
1st Dec 2020, 22:31
Except that you can not book hold luggage to only part of your reservation...

racedo
1st Dec 2020, 22:34
davidjohnson6

The aviation market means nobody controls or has control over pricing in the market. I have friends who will quite happily fly Easyjet anywhere but will avoid Ryanair unless they have zero options. They will complain all about the Ryanair flight even when price is 40% of a similar length Easyjet flight, even getting delayed by 2 hrs on one is ok but the other is bloody Ryanair delayed us.

Individual flight decisions are made across a wide range of factors. Yeah I know it doesn't apply to you my oddball friend, who flies with everybody BUT you are the outlier 1% who knows what they want V the 99%.

I would suggest that if you split the London based UK fliers down who take 6 or more sectors a year you will find Easyjet / Ryanair / Wizz / etc loyalists with varying degrees of loyalty. Depending on background as well, the old "We only shop in Waitrose for everything 15 years ago, who now proclaim that Lidl offers a good selection of wines which is why we shop there brigade" v "We fly anybody".

The Waitrose shoppers will still buy Waitrose when visitors are coming round V normal shopping, just like some will go BA rather than Easyjet to do the old Mrs Bucket "Keeping up appearances".

davidjohnson6
1st Dec 2020, 22:48
Yeah I know it doesn't apply to you my oddball friend, who flies with everybody

I'm proud to be a "I'll go with anyone" oddball ! :O

vikingivesterled
2nd Dec 2020, 00:14
These days its easyJet trundling after Ryanair (and Wizz) rather than for them the better before when Ryanair always was; look what easy have done to their website and lets do that. Now when Norwegian is as good as finished in the premium LCC it could have been a nice sole player niche for easyJet. Cheaper than the networks but not as bad for customer experience as Ryanair. after FR's loss of its Always Getting Better chief. No chance of that now when easy have an ex Ryanair as operations chief. Even though he does have a year or two of premium cabin experience.

stormin norman
2nd Dec 2020, 13:22
Charging for overhead locker space is one notch short of a pound in the slot for toilet.

Easyjet has just lost my business.

Flightrider
2nd Dec 2020, 13:28
As a pretty regular traveller with them, I can't say that I've seen a single problem to suggest this move is necessary or warranted. Hand baggage on easyJet flights has been far better managed than the fiasco which I regularly saw on BA short-haul in the latter stages of boarding. This looks to me like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

businessair75
2nd Dec 2020, 15:50
stormin norman

As far as I can see, they aren't charging for use of the overhead lockers. The policy says the new standard allowance/dimensions should fit under the seat rather than has to be stowed under the seat. If there is space in the lockers when you board, I doubt they are going to forbid you putting your bag in one.

easyflyer83
2nd Dec 2020, 15:56
Flightrider

It exists, trust me. It’s dependent on time of the year, routes and markets but easyJet offloads an average of 14 bags per sector.

EZY crew do manage it better than BA crew form my observations of BA flights too but easyJet crew have had years to master the art and that requires crew to be actively involved. Even so, last minute offloads are a big source of customer dissatisfaction. This is also why there isn’t an option to purchase this extra allowance, it is linked to certain seats and plus card holders. Had it been possible to purchase extra allowance it would defeat the object of the new policy and that would certainly be a case of profiteering.

pabely
2nd Dec 2020, 17:27
Customers on TLV routes won't be happy!

racedo
2nd Dec 2020, 20:21
I'm proud to be a "I'll go with anyone" oddball ! :O

I knew you would resent oops resemble that remark.

davidjohnson6
3rd Dec 2020, 02:03
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/98048-easyjet-enlists-restructuring-firm-to-cut-19bn-debt-pile
This is most definitely not an encouraging sign of Easyjet's financial health. Yes, they are doing something about it before it gets to a critical state (i.e. we are not about to see Easyjet go bust in the next 3 months), but hiring Alix usually means senior management is rather worried

businessair75
3rd Dec 2020, 11:07
Alix was enlisted back in May near the start of the crisis.

pabely
6th Dec 2020, 17:40
Easyjet Europe running a program on 25/12 this year, don't remember that before. Not Uk flight program but obvoiusly will require some ops backup from HO.

easyflyer83
6th Dec 2020, 18:15
Much of EJU operated last Christmas day. The previous few years saw AMS, LIS, BCN and OPO flying.

EZS has always flown Christmas Day for as long as a I can remember.

Essentially, easyJet has never totally shut up shop. There is still ops cover and there is standby coverage by U.K. based crew.

pabely
8th Dec 2020, 19:38
I know, just more noticeable this year after the low of what is just 22 sectors flown one day a couple of weeks ago.
Heard 1000+ for 27th.
MOL thinks it will be a consolated EZY/EZS/EJU/WZZ soon anyhow!

ESCNI
8th Dec 2020, 22:00
To carry the same hand baggage as this year, it will now cost our family of five an extra £320 next year ... representing an additional 60% on our flight costs.

Are they deliberately trying to lose our business?

davidjohnson6
8th Dec 2020, 22:12
ESCNI - are there other airlines which provide comparable service at a price less than Easyjet, on the same route and same dates that you want ? And yes, factor in baggage charges for both Easyjet and the other airline

You may wish to look at Easyjet's cheaper option of 'Hands Free' (£16 one way for a family group of 6 people, each person gets a bag in the cargo hold) or being able to carry an additional large cabin bag by reserving extra leg room seats
If you choose the 'Hands free family' option, £320 covers 20 oneway sector for your family

Dannyboy39
9th Dec 2020, 08:14
pabely

For those who aren’t aware about this last line - MOL said in an interview with Eurocontrol the other day that he expects five airline alliances to form and that RYR would be the only LCC with EZY merging with WZZ as both of them have higher cost bases than them.

I’ll have some of what he’s smoking but it just underlines how an even lower race to the bottom he is seeking to achieve.

ESCNI
9th Dec 2020, 08:21
Other airlines (eg Aer Lingus or LOT) on different routes offer much lower rates for baggage. At this early stage, our holiday destination can easily be influenced by flight price.

The family bundle sounds like a good alternative but, in a trial bookking, I can't see where it gives me this option.

"A Family Bundle consists of one cabin bag per person where all persons are on a single booking. The max number of passengers for the group bundle is 6." ... No mention of any bags in the hold, and no defined size for the cabin bag. Is the family bundle only available to customers who have booked Up front or Extra legroom seats?

davidjohnson6
9th Dec 2020, 08:22
Why would Easyjet merging with Wizz be a bad idea from a profitability / shareholder point of view ?
Fleet commonality ? Tick
Complementary networks ? Tick
Similiar product offering ? Tick

I agree it would be bad for employees and work conditions but shareholders tend not to be interested in that

TBSC
9th Dec 2020, 09:21
Management team? Tick

vikingivesterled
9th Dec 2020, 11:22
O'Leary is just trying to soften the troublesome competitor Wizz that has lower cost than Ryanair (Take the 2019 published total cost of each airline and divide it by amount of passengers)
Merging Wizz with the much higher cost than Ryanair easyJet will again make Ryanair the airline of size with the lowest cost base in Europe.
And that is why it would be bad for Wizz's profitability and shareholders. And possibly easy's watering out its premium LCC brand with Wizz's cheaper than chips brand. But easyJet might be doing a bit of the latter part themselves removing the easy part of their customer service by slowly copying Ryanair's most hated traits.

FRatSTN
9th Dec 2020, 13:13
the troublesome competitor Wizz that has lower cost than Ryanair

Until such a stage that Wizz starts needing trade union representation. With all this expansion into Western-Europe and Scandinavia, could come sooner rather than later. It's the only reason in reality why Ryanair set-up Buzz, Lauda, Malta Air etc. so they can reallocate labour on favourable terms and minimise the cost impact of unions. Wizz could be forced to do something similar.

SWBKCB
9th Dec 2020, 13:21
Personally I can't wait for the combined purple, pink and orange colour scheme :ok:

ib26uk
13th Dec 2020, 20:34
Anybody know of the new schedule release date?..

I want to book flights from Friday 1st October 2021 onwards.......

True Blue
13th Dec 2020, 21:11
Tuesday I think.

ib26uk
14th Dec 2020, 18:09
True Blue

Thank you

pabely
15th Dec 2020, 15:43
App tells me W20 released don't expect everything to be up yet!

fanrailuk
15th Dec 2020, 16:55
You mean Winter 2021

:ok:

pabely
15th Dec 2020, 19:13
Yes, that's what you get typing on the move!

ESCNI
17th Dec 2020, 12:34
"A Family Bundle consists of one cabin bag per person where all persons are on a single booking. The max number of passengers for the group bundle is 6."

...so come February, will the cabin bag be of the significantly smaller size, and not really suitable for the annual summer holiday? :*

easyflyer83
17th Dec 2020, 22:45
Check the dimensions against one of your bags. Whilst your current bag might not be of the correct size, it will give you an idea of the dimensions and I think you will be surprised.

The current (IATA dimensions) size bag is actually pretty big.

In any event, if you can do an annual summer holiday with cabin baggage, I salute you.

ESCNI
18th Dec 2020, 07:12
We (two adults and three teenagers) have been doing our annual summer holidays with just cabin baggage for the past few years ... however, I fear the new reduced size will just be a bridge too far.

easyflyer83
18th Dec 2020, 20:40
I definitely salute you. Though by my own admission, I pack the kitchen sink.

I don’t know what size you usually bring but just to put it into perspective, the new dimensions are very close to the cabin crew trolley bag.

SWBKCB
20th Dec 2020, 17:50
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55384120Easyjet, which operates out of Luton, said it was planning to fly its current schedule over the coming days. "However, following the UK government's announcement implementing tier four restrictions which includes advice against travelling abroad, we understand some customers may now need to change their flights," the airline said. It said affected customers can transfer to an alternative flight free of charge, receive a voucher or can opt for a refund for any flight up until 30 December. Easyjet also flies out of Gatwick and Stansted.

ESCNI
21st Dec 2020, 08:34
The cabin bag will be reduced from a capacity of 44 to 30 litres ... so, basically, a reduction of one third.

I think we would really struggle to cope with that capacity for a holiday of 10/14 days.

easyflyer83
21st Dec 2020, 09:31
Again, I don’t want to be appear like I’m mocking you, but I am genuinely amazed you can go away for up to 14 days with just 44 litres. Fair play to you...... hope your hotel room has a mangle. (Lol)

SKOJB
21st Dec 2020, 09:43
About time cabin luggage sizing was reviewed. Some of the rucksacks and cases brought on board are ridiculously large and should belong in the hold. Those with small cases, handbags and coats have to store on laps or under seats because of no room in overhead lockers!

ESCNI
21st Dec 2020, 10:05
easyflyer83

The trick is to hire apartments with a washing machine.

davidjohnson6
15th Jan 2021, 14:56
Easyjet Holidays have cancelled all holidays until the end of March. However, the airline is still selling flights to beach destination (eg Tenerife) from mid February onwards

I know that EU261 doesn't kick in until 14 days before a flight, but I'm puzzled why the airline is still selling beach flights when they have effectively publicly stated that beach holidays with Easyjet are not going to happen until end March

MKY661
15th Jan 2021, 15:08
I would imagine most of the remaining February flights will be taken off sale shortly. Flights for first part of February were taken off sale this week.

ZULUBOY
15th Jan 2021, 20:48
Good to know. My in-laws are booked BER to TFS on Feb 13th and were hoping for a cancellation and refund (presuming this applies to non-UK routes as well)

davidjohnson6
16th Jan 2021, 19:08
Schedules now released out to 26-March-2022. I'm guessing the company really needs the cashflow

lfc84
16th Jan 2021, 19:42
havent they been on sale since mid december (rather than "now")

pabely
17th Jan 2021, 00:36
I can see I had an email from them on 8th Jan promoting S21 but it noted 2022 up to March flights further down. I'm sure as well they were released early December and I had an email then but since deleted it.

KelvinD
3rd Feb 2021, 13:20
Speaking of easyJet, one of their A319s came over my house a short time ago; G-EZIW. It seems to be on a day out from Lasham and back to Lasham. Currently flying around East Anglia at 36,000ft. I wonder if this is preparation for its departure for the US as it is supposedly going to United as N3303U?

easyflyer83
3rd Feb 2021, 14:37
Officially left the fleet in December.

Captain_Caveman
3rd Feb 2021, 15:43
KelvinD

Yes, it was up for a test flight before delivery to our friends from across the ocean.

KelvinD
3rd Feb 2021, 16:17
Thanks Captain. I don't know if it eventually made it back here to Lasham but the last I saw of it (via ADSB) it was landing in Norwich.

Buster the Bear
3rd Feb 2021, 20:04
The demo flights to United include flying an ILS then missed approach at Norwich.

Flightrider
3rd Feb 2021, 20:22
I’m impressed that United even knew where Norwich was to be that specific about where the missed approach was to take place! Must have been someone based at Mildenhall or Lakenheath in a former life !

Double Hydco
4th Feb 2021, 08:12
It was flying on an EZY flight number, so I'd imagine it was being flown by an easyJet pilot?

Captain_Caveman
4th Feb 2021, 08:17
The aircraft has not yet left the easyJet fleet and was being flown by easyJet crew conducting an airtest. Aircraft departed from and arrived back into Lasham and as mentioned did not land at Norwich. The air test is part of the process of handover from one airline to another.

KelvinD
4th Feb 2021, 08:32
Thanks Captain. Those easyJet people know how to get the head working! Back in 2018, I was surprised to see an A319 at Stansted in full Allegiant livery. Oh, I thought, I wonder how that got here. Then it came past me with the easyJet reg on a white panel (is that a stick-on label?) and on the nose gear. It was G-EZIP and was in the process of becoming N320NV.
Same thing on the same day; another Allegiant aircraft appeared, N315NV. This had been G-EJAR and was departing Stansted on delivery to Puerto Rico.

toledoashley
10th Feb 2021, 21:32
New S21 routes:

Gatwick - Burgas
Luton - Sharm, Hurghada, Larnaca, Preveza & Santorini
Bristol - Santorini, Mykonos
Belfast - Corfu, Inverness
Manchester - Kos, Enfidha, Newquay
Birmingham - Amsterdam
Glasgow - Newquay
Olbia - Bergamo
Amsterdam - Palermo
Berlin - Santorini, Burgas
Geneva - Antalya

DomyDom
11th Feb 2021, 15:08
Great to see some well placed confidence coming back into the industry. With the UK vaccination programme progressing well, case numbers falling sharply and the situation improving elsewhere in Europe from a slow start I think confidence is well placed.

_aax1
11th Feb 2021, 15:20
Great news from EZY although I’m a little surprised they haven’t gone for London to NQY with only BA to LHR serving the capital.

Albert Hall
11th Feb 2021, 16:20
I would be surprised if they could. With a PSO tender process still ongoing for Newquay-London - unless they've bid for it (which I guess is quite possible) - then you can't just go throwing in Newquay-London services when the route has a PSO designation on it.

_aax1
11th Feb 2021, 16:37
When Flybe had the PSO historically from LGW I’m sure easyJet flew seasonal from SEN and Flybe did from STN? I’m guessing like you’ve said they might have gone for the PSO which would explain it.

davidjohnson6
10th Apr 2021, 20:51
I've been looking at countries that might make it onto the UK green travel list within shorthaul range of the UK and seem likely to admit UK residents given suitable constraints

The obvious one is Iceland, with case rates far below that of almost anywhere else in Europe and robust policies to keep control of infection, while still being prepared to admit vaccinated UK residents with very little barriers. Yes, I know it doesn't do hot and sunny, but it's a country that will attract the over 50s, many of whom will likely have had a 2nd shot by early June

I've looked at Easyjet's frequency in peak summer this year from London - and it's about 1x daily. I'm curious as to why Easyjet is being cautious on the route - it seems like an obvious sell when people are likely be desperate to go away almost anywhere

Does anyone have info on Easyjet's frequencies to Keflavik in summer 2019, after WOW's demise ?

AirportPlanner1
10th Apr 2021, 21:29
aax1

A tender went out for the PSO but was withdrawn. Whether that’s because it’s not seen as required in the near future or because someone is coming in on a commercial basis remains to be seen.

Indeed, even with the PSO other services have run alongside it.

Cuillin Hills
11th Apr 2021, 06:55
davidjohnson6

i don’t think the problem is, generally, leaving the UK - it is how to get back in again without major expense and potential disruption (on a very small number of occasions where a positive test prior to entry occurs).

I have a holiday booked to a green country, a few months from now, but as long as I am required to produce a negative test prior to returning to the UK, I won’t be travelling.

davidjohnson6
2nd May 2021, 03:51
Granada in Spain seems to have been dropped from the Easyjet network

richardwpprn
2nd May 2021, 18:30
It doesn't take people long to find out the coach service from Malaga is very good.

ib26uk
17th Jun 2021, 10:35
easyJet new routes announced today

Source - Travel Weekly

Belfast International to East Midlands
Belfast International to Leeds Bradford

London Gatwick to Belfast City

Bristol to Jersey
Bristol to Aberdeen

Manchester to Aberdeen
Manchester to Edinburgh

Birmingham to Jersey
Birmingham to Newquay

Liverpool to Bournemouth

Inverness to Newquay

Newcastle to Jersey

SKOJB
17th Jun 2021, 10:43
Some questionable routes in there and staycation fillers for one season only, can’t see much hope for LPL-BOH etc!

ib26uk
17th Jun 2021, 10:48
I live closest to BHX so I`m happy to see the amount of expansion easyJet has - FINALLY - announced at BHX...

Birmingham to Jersey
&
Birmingham to Newquay

Which bases will be operating those flights?... Will it be a W route from another base?........

CCFAIRPORT
17th Jun 2021, 11:31
A new route for us in GVA (EZS)

Geneva-rhodes 2pw
starting 21 July 2021

BACsuperVC10
17th Jun 2021, 11:37
They used to operate LPL-NQY which was popular, not sure BOH has the same draw but it may for this year. They have left it rather late however.

Letsflycwl
17th Jun 2021, 13:43
Apart from the obvious pressure from BRS, cannot understand why EZY have not looked at EDI-CWL-EDI as it was the most popular CWL route with Flybe with 3 flights a day. Loganair are due to start in August but only 5 times a week.

I’d have thought this would offer more passengers than some of the domestic routes announced recently

davidjohnson6
17th Jun 2021, 14:00
Was EDI-CWL primarily business or leisure pax ? If you strip out maybe 50% of business pax, how many people are left on a weekday ?

The breeze
23rd Jun 2021, 21:47
ABZ-MAN and EDI-MAN dropped already. What’s going on there ?

EZYPZY
24th Jun 2021, 10:24
Blamed on Sturgeon’s travel ban to/from parts of Greater Manchester and Lancashire allegedly.

fjencl
24th Jun 2021, 10:37
EasyJet scraps Aberdeen to Manchester route after new travel restrictions (eveningexpress.co.uk) (https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/we-cant-continue-like-this-easyjet-scraps-recently-announced-aberdeen-to-manchester-route-after-introduction-of-travel-restrictions/)

southside bobby
25th Jun 2021, 16:26
RYR will outfly EZY by a factor of 4 to the new green list resorts.

Possibly the "new" EZY domestics looking a little silly now?

25th Jun 2021, 17:27
until the govt turn them all amber at the click of the fingers :(

BA318
25th Jun 2021, 17:31
Plenty of people still not willing to risk it with Hancock and Shapps constantly changing the rules and there’s a good chance the destinations also change their rules (like Malta did).

Albert Hall
25th Jun 2021, 17:40
Possibly the "new" EZY domestics looking a little silly now?

I don't think it needed a change in the Green list to achieve that. I'm still amazed that Liverpool-Bournemouth made it off the route planning dartboard into real life.

Dct_Mopas
25th Jun 2021, 22:26
Maybe quit bashing airlines doing an almost impossible job, whilst reducing cash burn. The commercial department at ezy know what they’re doing and know where demand is/ or isn’t.

Alot of the new UK routes are being launched to support the crew training plan. Bringing back those who haven’t operated in months, and trying to keep everyone else legally current. So it’s not all about routes being highly profitable but ensuring the airline is ready to react and expand the flying as and when they can. That’s impossible with such few flights being operated so adding UK domestic sectors makes logical sense.

southside bobby
26th Jun 2021, 07:27
RYR have been ensuring they are ready to react for many months with continual daily base training at STN keeping crews & the aeroplanes valid.

No requirement then on behalf of RYR to launch new UK routes to support crew training...just straight to service.

Do the commercial department at EZY know what they`re doing and know where the demand is/or isn`t?...debatable...will have to wait & see which decisions have produced for the airlines.

PS...Not bashing airlines just pointing out the blindingly obvious & the markedly different approaches perhaps.

Appears the airline is being wrong footed by Mr L attempting "political" moves in flying short domestic bucket & spade trying to embarrass HMG over their stated green credentials.

BA318
26th Jun 2021, 10:17
You keep stating that EasyJet is trying to be political and embarrass the Gov but what evidence do you have for that? They are just opening routes which can actually be flown by pax given all the restrictions. The Gov isn’t embarrassed by some short haul flights. Boris flew to Cornwall for the G7. He couldn’t care less what EasyJet does (hence the limited support). Is BA also trying to embarrass the Gov launching flights from Belfast or Southampton to UK destinations?

southside bobby
26th Jun 2021, 12:10
errrrr...perhaps the evidence was the media attention & headlines generated with the announcements pretty much condemning very short mainland bucket/spade.

Nothing embarrasses this Government & leader all too evidently which is perhaps why Mr L has wrong footed his airline in launching or proposing those services.

It looks apparent he has been on his own independent political manoeuvres.

If the reasoning only is to work up the crews & aeroplanes then see the RYR example for instance which appear will leave EZY floundering somewhat too.

BA318
26th Jun 2021, 12:29
Just because the media ran those headlines does not mean it was EasyJet’s doing. Plenty of carriers have different approaches. EasyJet trying new domestic routes, Jet2 just not operating and Ryanair trying every route going.

I think you’re over egging it a bit if you think the CEO of EasyJet is trying to bring down the most shameless Gov in recent memory through embarrassment...

southside bobby
26th Jun 2021, 12:35
Gross exaggeration to suggest embarrassment will bring down a Government of course.

Different approaches by airlines indeed...merely suggesting the EZY position is to be proven too.

EZYPZY
26th Jun 2021, 13:14
After recent ‘revelations’, shall we say, the Government is doing a perfectly good job of that on its own. 🤦🏻‍♂️

businessair75
26th Jun 2021, 15:22
easyJet has traditionally had a policy of <4 hours over land, it doesn’t operate. EDI was perhaps border line but ABZ and BOH (ex LPL) are over that threshold be it by rail or road. Plus these routes are at a relatively low frequency, with relatively height capacity aircraft and in fact I think the LPL-BOH is only twice a week and explicitly targeted at the staycation market.

As other have said, airlines have to reduced cash burn and keep crews in check. Operating revenue generating flights is the optimal execution of that in the current circumstances.

EZY’s programme in general seems to have been parred back considerably, particularly when compared to FR. I’m not convinced that FR have been filling MAN-CHQ twice a week so banging on about environmental credentials is a bit ingenious.

LGS6753
26th Jun 2021, 18:56
My understanding is that the manufacturer's requirements for the airworthy preservation of non-flying aircraft is quite different Airbus v Boeing. Perhaps this is a more logical explanation of what's happening than any wild claims of embarrassing the Government.

southside bobby
26th Jun 2021, 19:33
LGS6753...
Correct Airbus v Boeing but see Post #93 where the launch of the new EZY domestics though was stated as "supporting the crew training plan".

For fear of repeat RYR were flying "preservation circuits" coupled with base training at STN for many months on a continuous basis as were & still are EXS to a smaller extent.

This appears to have aided RYR with their very different full throttle latter day approach to the crisis.

EZY are a very careful conservative airline whereas the RYR philosophy at the highest level is...never let a good crisis go to waste.

Outcome?...time will tell...time will tell.

Hopefully everyone is a winner.

inOban
26th Jun 2021, 19:57
I had assumed that FR were flying to Amber countries to avoid refunding fares.

sewushr
27th Jun 2021, 05:57
easyJet were also flying plenty of 'circuits' before they resumed passenger flights, in order to keep aircraft and crews active. There were also regular flights between bases for maintenance purposes. So no different to what Ryanair were doing.

Dct_Mopas
27th Jun 2021, 07:06
The easyJet circuits were solely for aircraft maintenance reasons. Only 1 per aircraft every 30 days. So only keeping a handful of crews current.

SWBKCB
27th Jun 2021, 07:29
Been plenty of circuit bashing at MME in recent weeks - not purely maintenance.

Dct_Mopas
27th Jun 2021, 07:36
Yep, quite a few base training days have been carried out for new cadet pilots who were in the easyJet MPL scheme and needed the base training to finish the course.

No circuit training for current ezy pilots other than for maintenance reasons.

Vokes55
27th Jun 2021, 09:43
Ryanair are just dumping cheap seats onto the market, knowing they aren't going to make any money, but they'll prevent other companies making any money too. They're also often the only airline serving a destination, thanks to EZY and BA's far more conservative approach. The OH flew to Poland a couple of weeks ago with Ryanair, £5 there and £8 back, but with around 110-120 passengers. Clearly that's not making any money, but if it captures enough of the slimmed down market to prevent competitors even operating there, then it's somewhat achieving it's aim.

EZY ran an inflated schedule for far too long last Summer (LGW-PMI was still up to 4x daily over six weeks after having its "travel corridor" removed) and was flying empty aircraft all over Europe. The same Wizzair. Routes like Liverpool to Bournemouth and Inverness to Newquay aren't going to make any money, but they're low risk routes that aren't subject to a Grant Shapps tweet, using little more fuel than a maintenance flight, and keep pilots out of simulators which are going to be in short supply should there be a sudden restart - because as we know with this government, airlines aren't going to get a great deal of notice for it.

Blackfriar
27th Jun 2021, 10:11
The OH flew to Poland a couple of weeks ago with Ryanair, £5 there and £8 back, but with around 110-120 passengers. Clearly that's not making any money, but if it captures enough of the slimmed down market to prevent competitors even operating there, then it's somewhat achieving it's aim.

It's not making money if everyone is paying these prices but every passenger is probably paying a different price, some with bags, flexi tickets etc. The whole low-cost model is based on flying one standard aeroplane type. Price tickets low initially and high as the departure date approaches for those that can't/won't plan ahead of those who need business style flexible ticketing. If you can't make money, drop the route and fly somewhere else.

southside bobby
27th Jun 2021, 14:16
Generally the algorithms devised over decades within the RYR booking system cannot be bettered within the travel business...But this is the EZY thread.

Vokes55
27th Jun 2021, 14:40
Blackfriar

Well she booked it 9 hours before departure, so I’m not sure many were paying more for their ticket. Your point stands during normal times, but right now Ryanair are just dumping capacity into a depressed market.

pabely
27th Jun 2021, 16:57
Yes, would look like the algorithm has been dumped currently, it's all about flooding to market for the long game, the weak will perish.

Skipness One Foxtrot
27th Jun 2021, 17:08
£5 there and £8 back? To Poland?
Assuming no taxes, charges or APD?

Jamesair1
27th Jun 2021, 17:17
You must mean basic fare ...without the add-ons

Vokes55
27th Jun 2021, 18:10
I’m not sure what’s so unbelievable. A quick search shows £15 return (yes, including taxes, charges, APD) from STN-WMI for most of July. 5-8 July is an example. Or £13 return to Krakow on the same dates. The Polish and Eastern Europeans are happy with a middle seat, a tiny bag crammed under their seat and eating their own home made sandwiches, Ryanair aren’t making any money on auxiliaries on these flights either.

£13 is APD. Hence it’s dumping capacity to prevent competitors from operating. Ryanair have the financial might and cheaper cost base to do this, easyJet and others don’t. Which is why EZY are being much more conservative than Ryanair.

Brian Pern
27th Jun 2021, 18:20
Blackfriar

That's the rub, MOL certainly knows how to turn a crisis into success and he will be banking on several of his competitors going to the wall, paying his workforce bellow the 2019 market value will help, coupled with their ruthlessness when it comes to negotiating with airports and suppliers, I would not bank on them losing out.

Having said all that, I don't blame Easy doing some domestic routes, it keeps the aircraft flying and some crews current, so if and when things open up, they can respond.

southside bobby
27th Jun 2021, 18:21
Out of curiosity which operators are being precluded operating over STN-WMI or STN-Krakow or even over London generally?

Vokes55
27th Jun 2021, 18:58
I wish you’d learn to string a sentence together in English, it would make it far easier to reply to you.

I’m assuming you’re asking which operators aren’t operating these routes as a result? In which case, easy aren’t operating LGW-KRK, BA weren’t operating LHR-WAW until yesterday and BA aren’t operating LHR-KRK.

Wizzair was (is?) less than daily on LTN-WAW in early June (3-4 daily pre pandemic), although Wizzair are capacity dumpers themselves, a little more conservative after being stung by doing the same last year in a market that never opened up.

SealinkBF
27th Jun 2021, 19:47
Jamesair1

Ryanair often used to do a cheap fare with all taxes included, I flew to Oslo for £1! Assume this is the same ploy.

EZYPZY
30th Jun 2021, 11:22
New Route - Liverpool to Malta.

Flights begin 25th July, 2 x weekly (Tue & Sun)

737James
30th Jun 2021, 13:19
After my package holiday with Tui to Cyprus was cancelled for next week i looked at booking the hotel direct and getting flights with low cost carrier like EZY however they have cancelled nearly all the flights which is to me is a poor decision as there is a lot of British people whom have second homes in Cyprus who want to go out to their houses for a couple of weeks from the 05/07 onwards.

Most of these people would be going for at least 14 days so would then be past the next Traffic light review date and there is also a number of people who are still looking to me their own arrangements to travel to sunshine destinations

davidjohnson6
30th Jun 2021, 13:41
Cyprus is a long way off from the infection levels in the UK's green list destinations like Iceland or Malta. Furthermore, infection levels in Cyprus have increased significantly in the last 7 days. It's possible Cyprus makes the green list in 2 weeks time... but it doesn't look very likely

As a passenger, Easyjet cancelling a lot of UK-Cyprus flights is annoying. Easyjet might have a different view on whether it should operate lots of flights between the UK and amber list destinations, and how profitable these flights might be

Mayfield62
30th Jun 2021, 15:32
I flew from Faro to Liverpool with easyJet last Sunday. There were 27 passengers on board.

I flew outbound with Ryanair from Liverpool to Oporto. There were 28 passengers on board that flight.

ib26uk
13th Jul 2021, 09:42
I follow Birmingham Airport on facebook and they said the other day that the first BHX Jersey and BHX Newquay flights took off - which is great

Got me thinking which bases would be crewing these flights? as BHX isnt (yet...) an easyJet base

Also - great to see easyJet back at EMA - I flew EMA / EDI a couple of times well before they closed the EMA base, Could we see an GLA / EMA route aswell as an EDI / EMA route in the future? ......

ATNotts
13th Jul 2021, 10:40
Doubt they'd want to dilute business on GLA / EDI to BHX at present, I could perhaps see FlyBe2 taking an interest in EMA-Scotland routes.

cavokblues
13th Jul 2021, 10:53
Newquay seems to be a Gatwick based crew operating Gatwick > Newquay > Birmingham > Newquay > Gatwick and the Jersey flight seems to be a Manchester crew doing similar.

Buster the Bear
20th Jul 2021, 13:15
https://airinsight.com/easyjet-is-seeking-available-airport-slots/

CabinCrewe
8th Aug 2021, 16:46
any feel for how the shorter EZY domestics are doing eg ABZ-MAN, EDI/GLA-BHX ?

BHX5DME
8th Aug 2021, 17:24
BHX- BFS has always done well and now GLA & EDI are really picking up, so I am told !

Albert Hall
8th Aug 2021, 18:16
Mixed bag is what I’m hearing. BFS-EMA and LBA reported to be doing well. BOH to EDI and BFS are pretty decent. All three JER routes and BHX, LGW and INV routes to NQY are a disaster zone, and LPL-BOH isn’t great but not quite as bad as some. Haven’t heard anything about loads on the ABZ routes.

flyerguy
8th Aug 2021, 18:42
MAN-NQY/ABZ seem to be doing fairly okay.

MAN-ABZ loads about 70%+
MAN-NQY Loads slightly more by the looks of things

SKOJB
8th Aug 2021, 19:23
Most if not all of these domestics will likely disappear for next summer anyway!

Albert Hall
9th Aug 2021, 07:48
MAN-ABZ loads about 70%+

I thought that route didn't start until today?

businessair75
9th Aug 2021, 07:56
It was a very respectable outbound figure MAN- ABZ considering how long it’s been on sale. It was indeed around 70%.

Albert Hall
9th Aug 2021, 18:48
I’ve asked the question of someone in the know, and yesterday’s MAN-ABZ flew with a 46% load factor on the roundtrip. Don’t know what was booked and no-show numbers but that’s what was carried.

Not as good as some of the new routes but by no means as bad as some of the others.

businessair75
9th Aug 2021, 19:19
It was reasonably busy out, quiet on the return. 45% round trip to be exact. Pretty good going given how long it’s been on sale.

toon22
10th Aug 2021, 14:19
Manchester Newquay already loaded for next summer. Additional Saturday rotation now operate until end October.

CCFAIRPORT
23rd Aug 2021, 07:14
Geneva-Skopje
2pw from 1st Nov. 2021

ATNotts
23rd Aug 2021, 07:18
That speaks volumes as to how EasyJet views the likely leisure travel situation for 2022.

easyflyer83
23rd Aug 2021, 10:26
Not necessarily. MAN NQY has always proven to be a strong market.

Mr A Tis
23rd Aug 2021, 11:49
MAN-NQY Was a very popular route filling BMI Baby B737s, it only stopped when Baby stopped everything. Loganair is also on the route, and on the dates checked, once baggage fees are added, Loganair was the least expensive and with more user friendly timings/

Dannyboy39
24th Aug 2021, 08:15
I see easyJet have appointed former RBS executive Stephen Hester as it’s new chairman replacing John Barton.

I kid you not.

Of course airlines are run the accountants these days.

pabely
24th Aug 2021, 11:32
He helped sort out RBS, now NatWest, and oversee RSA. Running a sucessful business does not always need skills in the business you are focused on, rather the way business is done and as such the city class him as a heavyweight.

FRatSTN
24th Aug 2021, 12:11
Carolyn McCall came from a journalism background and many were sceptical at the time of her appointment. Probably the best CEO easyJet ever had.

No disrespect to Johan, but pandemic aside I feel they've lost their way a bit under his lead.

Jonty
24th Aug 2021, 14:09
Wasn't it McCall who introduced flexicrew at easyJet?

tictack67
24th Aug 2021, 14:28
Load factor is vanity,
Yield is sanity.

Load factor is only a note of how popular a route is, not how profitable it is.

A restraint with a 100 covers at £15. Makes same "turnover" as a restaurant with 30 customers charged £50.

From that turnover obviously subtract costs to get profit

pabely
24th Aug 2021, 14:41
I hope we are not confusing the role of Chairman with the CEO? It is John Barton who is departing, not Johan Lundgren.

FRatSTN
24th Aug 2021, 14:55
I'm aware of that, but just making the point that it doesn't require somebody from an aviation background.

easyflyer83
24th Aug 2021, 16:58
tictack67

That is only partly true. Typically, the LCC model relies on a high load factor and load factor is a key indicator that is analysed by investors and analysts alike.

Your argument is more akin to a legacy carrier where, for example a route is premium heavy and so excess capacity down the back isn’t such an issue. They also carry cargo which provides an additional revenue stream which LCC’s don’t typically exploit. What LCC’s do exploit are anciliary revenue streams and they very much rely up on volume…… high load factors support that.

Either way, a load factor such as that stated by the poster is pretty good considering it’s only been on sale a short time……. decent yield or not.

tictack67
24th Aug 2021, 18:34
"Decent yield or not". I'm afraid you are incorrect. Ryanair famously offered 1p and £9 fares to get the grant and discounts for airports, as FR promised them so many million px a year. To meet that fig and get grant they often had offered mega cheap seats or face penalities

easyflyer83
24th Aug 2021, 19:23
LCC’s have always created/stimulated additional demand that otherwise wouldn’t be there through low fares, particularly early on. Again, one of the reasons they do this is because the business model is predicated on volume. Stack them high and sell them cheap. (Even though not all the fares on any given flight will be classed as cheap)

Often the last lot of seats can bring in a great deal of revenue but you need a high load factor to be able to reach that point.

EI-BUD
26th Aug 2021, 02:18
I'd slightly disagree with some of the comments regarding Carolyn McCall. It was under her tenure that easyJet opened and then closed many European bases in the face of the usual Ryanair attack which is to flood the market with incredibly cheap pricing until such time as the competition with drew. Examples include Madrid and Rome. I'd describe her approach as hugely safe/ conservative and a move to be overly reliant on LGW and also business travel.

They are now in the value carrier space more than low cost and they need to decide what their USP is to make the airline resilient to Ryanair and Wizz. To date it has been to compete with the legacy carriers at primary airports. Unlikely they will restructure to become a ULCC. I think we'll see them rebuilding a network around a core number of hubs and look to build frequency on primary city pairs and business centres as business travel resumes. We may also see some level of differentiation in terms of service or potentially cooperation with other carriers, the usual low cost carrier 'rules' may not necessarily apply.

I wouldn't rule out a potential sale to one of the large groups at the right juncture. IAG would seem like the logical fit. My own opinions.

toledoashley
26th Aug 2021, 06:05
CMC did a great job of righting many of the wrongs which took place under Andy Harrison - especially on passenger experience (delays, cancellations, introduction of allocated seating etc) - but there were many areas where as a result they fell behind. Arguably they lost control of costs, and the cost per seat kept rising - as a result positioned themselves with a more premium product (including livery and toned down interior to boot).

brian_dromey
26th Aug 2021, 12:54
I don't think thats actually the case. While easyJet have repositioned themselves in a more upmarket space, my understanding is that the new livery was forced on easyJet because easyGroup had a sudden realisation that the billboard easyJet titles were orange on white and the licensing agreement required white lettering on an orange background. The new interior actually cut costs as they squeezed an extra row on the A320s. In contrast, none of the A319s were refitted and they make do with their original interiors. I think easyJet are very focussed on costs, but their rivals at Wizz and Ryanair seem to have even sharper pencils. easyJet do have almost twice the average fare as Ryanair do, at €61 Vs €34.

There are areas where easyJet does need to work harder. Their homepage looks fine, but the booking engine feels dated and is quite difficult to navigate. Their latest hand baggage/seat assignment policy is bonkers. You can only being a cabin bag on board if you are sitting in the front rows, no seats at the back can be assigned if you want to have a cabin bag. I entirely agree with limiting baggage in the cabin, but concentrating all the hand luggage customers in one section of the cabin seems a strange way to do it.

ib26uk
6th Sep 2021, 20:58
Anybody know when flights from beyond September 2022 onwards go on sale?.............

CabinCrewe
6th Sep 2021, 22:01
EI-BUD

I don’t see that as a possibility at all.

Link Kilo
9th Sep 2021, 08:48
"EasyJet Plc rejected an unsolicited takeover approach from rival discounter Wizz Air Holdings Plc, according to people familiar with the matter, and said it will raise $2 billion in stock and debt instead."

A one-off or are EZY in-play now and might others bid?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-09/wizz-air-is-said-to-have-made-spurned-approach-for-easyjet-ktcngdug?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_medium=social&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter

Just a spotter
9th Sep 2021, 10:04
Some might see the company as vulnerable, the manner in which it has raised more capital has sent the share price down

https://www.reuters.com/article/easyjet-share-sale/update-2-uk-airline-easyjet-rejects-bid-offer-to-raise-1-7-bln-idUSL8N2QB15H

No doubt there will be some running the rule over them. Plenty of Private Equity money sitting around looking for a home

ATNotts
9th Sep 2021, 11:05
Private equity involvement in airlines generally doesn't end well, not least because there generally isn't the possibility to asset strip and pair down staffing levels on carriers that are already operating tight ships. If private equity got their claws into some of the legacy carriers with fat they could strip out then that may be a different kettle of fish all together.

inOban
9th Sep 2021, 11:39
I guess their problem is that, having focused on the budget business market, both in terms of routes and flexible fares, they are now in the market which is recovering most slowly. (if it ever does because of Br*X*t).

pabely
9th Sep 2021, 12:04
But isn't 60% of their business EU based now for just that reason?

AirportPlanner1
9th Sep 2021, 12:19
I wonder if this might entice Ryanair to take a look. Although obviously fleet commonality is an issue it would make them the dominant carrier for London with huge bases north and south of the river. Plus further growth in Italy and elsewhere. And there is a risk if Wizz were to succeed as they would then have FR surrounded by dominance at LGW/LTN (plus there is also the minuscule SEN presence which plausibly could be scaled up)

pabely
9th Sep 2021, 12:33
This is just what MOL has been preaching for years, can't see him being interested and SEN, what has SEN got to do with this? History for a few years at least if they can keep the housing developers away.

davidjohnson6
9th Sep 2021, 12:39
IAG and Ryanair will (or should) have been thinking for years about the strategic risk of Easyjet and Wizz merging. They may not have a magic wand to figure out how to counter a much stronger competitor... but the possibility should not come as a surprise

brian_dromey
9th Sep 2021, 13:41
I can't see IAG being allowed to purchase easyJet without major slot divestments in London (LGW for sure, but possibly LHR too), Barcelona (Vueling is the largest airline, by far there, Iberia, BA, Aer Lingus, Level and Air Europa are decent sizes there too), Paris CDG (easyJet & Vueling), AMS (easyJet and Vueling), MAD (Iberia and easyJet also Vueling, BA, EI) at least. There may be other city pairs where easyJet and Vueling compete, Im not sure.

Overall Wizz and easyJet seem more compatible, or IAG and Wizz. I don't see easyJet being attractive to AF-KL or LG for the same reasons of major overlap in the home markets and resultant divestment of slots. Things might change once the EU is done with the Iberia/Air Europa merger, but a lot remains to be seen.

Skipness One Foxtrot
9th Sep 2021, 13:53
easyJet could sell off the UK division back to IAG as BA Regional.
Imagine the reaction on the MAN thread. LGW wouldn't know which way to look!
OK, best not, I'll get my coat.....

AirportPlanner1
9th Sep 2021, 13:58
pabely

Why does any reference to SEN no matter how trivial trigger you? The hypothetical significance is that Wizz would have STN’s catchment truly surrounded. If there is no truth in Wizz having a 3x weekly operation at SEN please say so.

milleriom
9th Sep 2021, 15:24
Brian_Dromey said ''Overall Wizz and easyJet seem more compatible, or IAG and Wizz.''

That is correct. The putative offeror was Wizzair. However, easyJet did not like the small premium on offer to the then market price nor the fact that it was an all paper (shares) offer.

easyJet are proceeding now with a big rights issue.

SWBKCB
9th Sep 2021, 15:46
Seems that this is being looked at through an almost totally UK lens. Converstaion with the competition regulators would be interesting.

Buster the Bear
9th Sep 2021, 19:27
https://www.air101.co.uk/2021/09/uk-budget-airline-easyjet-rejects-wizz.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+co/fMxO+(Air101)

Set against this barrage of changes at easyJet, its founder and shareholder Stelios Haji-Ioannou is on the verge of founding another budget carrier in Europe. Stelios has, according to reports, been incredibly unhappy with the direction the airlines current management are taking for some time and is seriously ready to create a new pan Europe airline. According to one source, the 54-year-old Greek Cypriot entrepreneur's associates have already held talks with an aircraft manufacturer as well as some potential financial investors

Alsacienne
10th Sep 2021, 08:14
Excuse my ignorance but would the sale to another airline group be the whole of easyJet or just easyJet UK? Would the Swiss and Europe AOCs continue to fly as independent companies?

LGS6753
10th Sep 2021, 19:50
The bid was for the quoted entity, i.e. the whole EasyJet group, which includes EZY (UK), EJU (Austria) and 40% of EZS (Switzerland).

ib26uk
21st Sep 2021, 22:12
Seeing whispers of flights from November 2022 on different airport threads on here regarding the new time table release from easyJet

Does anybody know when the timetable is available to book, got a few flights to book...

toledoashley
22nd Sep 2021, 05:47
EasyJet Holidays has put winter 22/23 on sale, so you can see some of the schedule on there.

ib26uk
23rd Sep 2021, 22:31
Toledoashley

Sorry I should have said, I meant I was looking at October flights between BHX & EDI and November flights between MAN & BFS

Apologies

Seljuk22
25th Sep 2021, 08:39
Additional aircraft for seasonal bases Palma, Malaga and Faro next summer
https://mediacentre.easyjet.com/story/15217/easyjet-bolsters-investment-in-seasonal-bases-with-five-new-aircraft-across-malaga-palma-and-faro-bases-in-2022

davidjohnson6
28th Sep 2021, 14:07
Earlier this month, Easyjet cut prices on some routes to/from Aqaba in Jordan for the coming winter - it's a seasonal destination that Easyjet doesn't serve during the summer. It looks like those price reductions didn't do enough to increase demand - flight frequencies have now been reduced as well

tubby linton
28th Sep 2021, 17:57
Stelios has not invested in the new share issue so his holding has now reduced to below veto level

EZYPZY
2nd Oct 2021, 16:35
Any ideas as to why the recently announced MAN - FUE route has been taken off sale? FUE operated from LPL for many years and always seemed popular, although in recent years only operated seasonally during the winter. FUE now isn’t served by EZY from either of its north west bases. Seems a little ‘one step forward, two steps back’. :confused:

MANFAN
16th Nov 2021, 10:22
I can’t find the EasyJet thread…I’m sure we had one already but I personally can’t find it.

I’m wondering if there are any plans for EasyJet to update their app that allows covid documentation to be uploaded prior to departure?
I have previously asked them via Twitter but had no response.

The Ryanair app has this feature and it works very well, having all required documents in one place.

pwalhx
16th Nov 2021, 11:30
Interestingly on my recent trip from manchester to Berlin I found it nigh on impossible to upload documentation to the Ryanair app.

toledoashley
16th Nov 2021, 17:02
EasyJet are so far behind on the tech side - you can’t even view your Flight Pass account number through one account (or easyJet plus for that matter). Needs a lot of work.

CabinCrewe
17th Nov 2021, 17:01
Slightly surprised that ABZ-MAN back for S22 but must have done ok. Still a lot of seats to fill..

OzzyOzBorn
17th Nov 2021, 17:07
I used it four times. It was close to full on two occasions - a couple of empties, which could have been no-shows. Only one was lightly-loaded at around one-third full, but that was a Sunday morning departure at around 8am. Most people are already where they want to be at that point in the week.

CaptainDoony
17th Nov 2021, 17:14
ABZ-MAN is a busy route, was near enough 250k pax p/a at its peak with Flybe

easyflyer83
18th Nov 2021, 01:07
A lot of seats if there was a greater level of frequency. MAN-ABZ shouldn’t be a problem for any A32S operator on a once a day basis.

lfc84
18th Nov 2021, 09:58
Just had an email informing me that easyJet Holidays Summer 2023 are now on sale

toledoashley
26th Nov 2021, 14:31
Barcelona - Milan Linate is a new route starting in January.

Sharklet_321
28th Nov 2021, 17:22
Anyone have an inside knowledge as to whether it’s likely (or not) that the BOH domestic routes will return in 2022?

EZYPZY
28th Nov 2021, 18:08
I would highly doubt it. All this years ‘trial and error’ routes seem to have been removed from sale for summer ‘22. The schedule on sale for next year seems a lot more pre-covid normal. Then again, omicron might mean something different. Only time will tell...

scr1
30th Nov 2021, 07:17
Not all INV-BFS is bookable for next summer

OzzyOzBorn
30th Nov 2021, 08:41
I think MAN-ABZ is back as well? I'll use it if so.

ib26uk
1st Dec 2021, 21:34
When will easyJet released schedules for October 2022 onwards?

pabely
2nd Dec 2021, 11:42
That is just begging for a stupid answer, their Web Site says soon!

MANFAN
2nd Dec 2021, 11:58
Some EasyJet routes don’t seem to be available for January only. I’m looking at Manchester to Hamburg on 7th January but no flights available until February…

chaps1954
2nd Dec 2021, 12:07
That has always happened in January by a few airlines, Hamburg is not a pleasant place in January so not much tourist traffic as are a few others

MANFAN
2nd Dec 2021, 12:22
Thanks for the info.
Agree ref the weather in Hamburg that time of year…although doesn’t bother me I used to live there.

And just as I type I receive an email from EasyJet saying my Munich to Manchester flight on 10th January is cancelled!
No luck at the moment with flights to/from Germany in January!

Seljuk22
5th Dec 2021, 08:25
Barcelona - Milan Linate is a new route starting in January.
BER-LIN will be increasd to trice daily (in addition to BER-MXP) starting summer. Seems like there will be a night stop with BER based aircraft.

EZY will lease slots from BA at LGW and increase the base to 79 aircraft
https://aviation.direct/gatwick-easyjet-mietet-british-airways-slots

Italian bases will be expanded:
MXP from 21 to 24, NAP from 4 to 6 and VCE from 2 to 3 aircraft
https://d1softballnews.com/easyjet-invests-in-milan-malpensa-with-three-new-planes/

pabely
5th Dec 2021, 13:22
From 63 to 79 based planes at LGW! Do we know that these wet leases will be yet?

Vokes55
5th Dec 2021, 14:24
EZY will lease slots from BA at LGW and increase the base to 79 aircraft
https://aviation.direct/gatwick-easyjet-mietet-british-airways-slots

Not surprising. If there’s one thing EZY and BA can agree on, it’s that they don’t want a meaningful Wizzair or Ryanair operation at Gatwick at any cost.

hec7or
5th Dec 2021, 14:45
I think the Ultra Low Cost carriers prefer a total wheels on to wheels off less than 1hr, consisting of 15' taxi in, 30' turn round and 15' taxi out. I'm not sure that's achievable at LGW, so Wizz and RYR will steer clear.

pabely
5th Dec 2021, 14:56
It's all about yield and that was always good at LGW. RYR even operator at AMS nowadays and that can have very big taxi times.

TBSC
5th Dec 2021, 17:29
Ryanair and Wizz both operate to airports with constant airport slots, ATC slots, congestion, holdings, extended taxi times, extended ground times, slow handling agents, manana attitude etc.(Fiumicino, Lisbon, Malpensa, Madrid, Barcelona, Frankfurt, Berlin, Hamburg, Copenhagen, Keflavik, Oslo, Tel-Aviv, Moscow etc, just to name a few) but LGW is a unique place in terms of having all these problems at the same time.

mariofly12
5th Dec 2021, 20:17
Vokes55

Does this mean that Wizzair once again will not get any more coveted slots at LGW for S22 since U2 snagged them from BA or is there still room for them too?

toledoashley
5th Dec 2021, 20:23
It works nicely for both BA and easyJet to keep Wizz and Ryanair out - in the short-term easy are in a position to use them, and BA see them as being less of a threat in the long-term.

techair
13th Dec 2021, 08:55
Over the last week or so I’ve noticed on Flightradar24 that EasyJet take a different (southern) route from KLM on AMS-MAN, both flights depart at roughly the same time but KLM (northern route) has arrived earlier and with a quicker block time on each occasion, today with an almost 20% shorter trip time. Can someone who arranges flight plans please explain this difference.

pabely
24th Dec 2021, 07:54
Have EZY finally woken up? Hearing they are trying to undefer those NEO deliveries, we already know they are looking to leases 6 A320 for S22.
Also defer phasing out those older 319s if they can agree terms with the leasors.

MANFAN
5th Jan 2022, 16:58
When are EasyJet flights available to book for December 2022? I want to book flights from the UK to Spain

pabely
5th Jan 2022, 17:58
When are EasyJet flights available to book for December 2022? I want to book flights from the UK to Spain
Not yet https://www.easyjet.com/en/schedule-release

MANFAN
24th Jan 2022, 20:42
Does anyone here work for Easy or has done in the past?
I'm looking for a change from my current job within the aviation industry and was wondering if anyone was willing to give me their honest opinion on their views within the company?
I'm in the process of trawling through their open vacancies at the moment...Manchester or Gatwick stand out for me as their biggest UK bases, but also willing to travel further afield.
Thanks and all the best for 2022 :)

pabely
27th Jan 2022, 11:57
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-27/easyjet-starts-to-scale-up-capacity-as-omicron-curbs-recede

CCFAIRPORT
3rd Feb 2022, 20:26
2 more A/C at Porto Airport
3 new routes
Köln/Bonn
Madrid
Porto Santo

harriewillem
4th Feb 2022, 15:13
04.02.2022 - 07:04 UTCeasyJet (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airline/U2) (U2, London Luton (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airports/1893)) is planning to wet-lease six A320 Family aircraft from SmartLynx Airlines (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airline/SLY) (6Y, Riga (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airports/2706)) during the summer 2022 season to support its operations out of London Gatwick (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airports/1891), ch-aviation has learned.

Spokesman Andy Cockburn confirmed the contracts would begin with the onset of the summer season.

The Latvian ACMI/charter specialist operates six A320-200 (https://www.ch-aviation.com/aircraft-variants/A320200)s and six A321-200 (https://www.ch-aviation.com/aircraft-variants/A321200)s, the ch-aviation fleets advanced (https://www.ch-aviation.com/aircraft) module shows, while sister carrier SmartLynx Airlines Estonia (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airline/MYX) (MYX, Tallinn Lennart Meri (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airports/1576)) operates a further four A320-200s. SmartLynx Airlines Malta (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airline/9PK) (LYX, Malta Int'l (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airports/2907)) operates seven A320-200s, two A321-200s, one A321-200(P2F) (https://www.ch-aviation.com/aircraft-variants/A32120F), one A321-200(PCF) (https://www.ch-aviation.com/aircraft-variants/A32120C), and six A330-300 (https://www.ch-aviation.com/aircraft-data/333)s.

All of easyJet's flights out of Gatwick are operated by easyJet UK (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airline/U2K) (U2, London Luton (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/airports/1893)). The LCC is by far Gatwick's largest operator with a 48% market share by scheduled weekly departure capacity.

Seljuk22
6th Feb 2022, 07:24
3 new routes
Köln/Bonn
Madrid
Porto Santo
In total for Portugal: 15 aircraft based - five in Lisbon, six in Porto and four in Faro

Seljuk22
6th Feb 2022, 07:26
3 new routes
Köln/Bonn
Madrid
Porto Santo
In total for Portugal: 15 aircraft based - five in Lisbon, six in Porto and four in Faro

CW247
6th Feb 2022, 10:07
6 ACMIs at LGW will represent SmartLynx's largest base set up ever

CW247
6th Feb 2022, 10:43
Curious to know if these ACMI aircraft will be able to fly UK domestic routes from LGW given they will be LY, YL and 9H reg.

globetrotter79
6th Feb 2022, 10:55
Curious to know if these ACMI aircraft will be able to fly UK domestic routes from LGW given they will be LY, YL and 9H reg.
Why not?
Prior to its collapse (but still post-Brexit), Stobart Air (EI-reg) (and Aer Lingus?) were flying BHD-UK domestic routes technically on an ACMI basis under BA flight codes.
Star Air (OY-reg) are operating daily B767 domestic cargo routes from EMA to EDI and BFS technically on an ACMI basis under Titan's AWC flight codes.
No reason by the SmartLynx aircraft ops for easyJet should be any different - if easyJet chooses to use them this way..

CW247
6th Feb 2022, 11:08
Makes sense. Thanks.

Albert Hall
6th Feb 2022, 11:56
The six SmartLynx aircraft for easyJet will be in addition to the aircraft for TUI (I'm hearing four) and also now two allegedly for BA. Quite a presence.

Mr Mac
6th Mar 2022, 17:11
What is the longest route EasyJet do out of the UK. I ask as my wife is meeting me in Jordan soon, and is on an Easyjet flight from Manchester to Aquba, which seems quite a hop for them, indeed I was some what surprised when she told me. Also any idea on the Gin onboard ?
Cheers
Mr Mac

pabely
6th Mar 2022, 17:50
They do Manchester to Hurghada which is further.
Gin yuk! Couldn't tell you.

BA318
6th Mar 2022, 17:53
What is the longest route EasyJet do out of the UK. I ask as my wife is meeting me in Jordan soon, and is on an Easyjet flight from Manchester to Aquba, which seems quite a hop for them, indeed I was some what surprised when she told me. Also any idea on the Gin onboard ?
Cheers
Mr Mac

The inflight magazine says Bombay Sapphire, Whitley Neill Blood Orange Gin or Whitley Neill Rhubarb and Ginger gin is available.

EZYPZY
6th Mar 2022, 18:19
Cheers
Mr Mac

Don’t be surprised if only the Bombay Sapphire is available, or maybe an Ophir or two.

Mr Mac
7th Mar 2022, 09:10
Don’t be surprised if only the Bombay Sapphire is available, or maybe an Ophir or two.
Ezypzy
Thanks for the update I will pass the information on, she likes both of those 👍

Cheers
Mr Mac

CCFAIRPORT
7th Mar 2022, 09:27
On board our Swiss A/C , we have only Bombay Sapphire. But sometimes its different on the UK A/C.

zambonidriver
13th Mar 2022, 22:07
EZS is canceling flights tomorow due to "a stike". Haven't seen any reports - anyone know more ?

pabely
13th Mar 2022, 23:14
EZS is canceling flights tomorow due to "a stike". Haven't seen any reports - anyone know more ?
Really, who says?

ReallyAnnoyed
13th Mar 2022, 23:50
Security staff strike in BER, DUS and CGN Monday 14th. of March. Possibly more, but those are the ones I can remember. Most flights cancelled, but some still going.

pabely
14th Mar 2022, 00:06
Affecting EZU flights then, not EZS.
Looking at Eurowings & Lufty big canx so nothing to do with Easyjet (Europe).

zambonidriver
14th Mar 2022, 05:52
You are quite correct, although they still operate some flights.
Would be interresting to know how this is sorted out. Muss be an interesting business case.

chaps1954
14th Mar 2022, 08:16
Both Eurowings from DUS and RYR from CGN to MAN canx this morning

Denti
14th Mar 2022, 08:27
EJU Aircraft based in BER have been flying empty out and with normal pax loads back. At least some of them. Crew Security still seem to work.

davidjohnson6
14th Mar 2022, 10:44
Pre Covid, I used to find that for flights between London and cities in Europe, Easyjet was often flying the route I wanted (I'm neutral between London airports) at times I wanted, and at a price roughly similiar to other LCCs. This year, I'm finding Easyjet rather less present or that prices are significantly higher than other LCCs. I'm wondering if Easyjet are maybe retrenching into routes where other LCCs sometimes have less of a presence, hence the semblance of a disappearing act. Yes, I understand that flying empty aircraft with just me as the sole passenger while paying peanuts will not be profitable

Has there been a slight shift in commercial strategy by Easyjet, or are other LCCs being particularly competitive on pricing ?

inOban
14th Mar 2022, 12:03
I've noticed from EDI that while many leisure routes have returned, more or less, to their pre-covid frequency, most Intercity routes that would have had significant business pax, have not - eg Berlin, Munich, Milan, Madrid. Brexit?

The96er
14th Mar 2022, 12:06
I've noticed from EDI that while many leisure routes have returned, more or less, to their pre-covid frequency, most Intercity routes that would have had significant business pax, have not - eg Berlin, Munich, Milan, Madrid. Brexit?

More likely to be Covid restrictions. Many of which still have significant restrictions in place.

toledoashley
14th Mar 2022, 18:54
More likely to be Covid restrictions. Many of which still have significant restrictions in place.

Leisure (beach) is bouncing back much quicker than city.

OzzyOzBorn
14th Mar 2022, 19:13
Employers have remained cautious on discretionary business travel, aware of the possible liability implied if an employee caught covid whilst away on company business. It would also be concerning if an employee was quarantined overseas. On the plus side, restrictions are gradually being rolled back in most jurisdictions. England is leading the way for once, with the removal of the PLF requirement effective 04:00 on Friday 18/3. That is the last of England's restrictions finally done. One would expect that the devolved administrations will follow suit in the near term. A glimmer of positive news in troubled times for the industry.

mikkie4
16th Mar 2022, 23:31
EZY to restart flights to FARO from SEN starting 2nd MAY

andymartin
24th Mar 2022, 13:10
How do Easyjet police their cabin bag policy at the gate? If you turn up with a bag that doesn't fit under the seat and you therefore were supposed to have purchased the large cabin bag add on, how do they know at the gate that you have paid for this or not?
Does the boarding pass show details of your booking when they scan it at the gate? If not then how do they know what size bag you have paid to take on board?
Regards

ezycrew
24th Mar 2022, 19:56
They can tell by the boarding card if you have pre purchased an overhead locker bag or not. They are also pretty strict at enforcing the new policy.

How do Easyjet police their cabin bag policy at the gate? If you turn up with a bag that doesn't fit under the seat and you therefore were supposed to have purchased the large cabin bag add on, how do they know at the gate that you have paid for this or not?
Does the boarding pass show details of your booking when they scan it at the gate? If not then how do they know what size bag you have paid to take on board?
Regards

andymartin
26th Mar 2022, 14:22
👍👍Cheers........

CabinCrewe
3rd Apr 2022, 21:57
100 cancellations tomorrow due to Covid absences…
I still don’t get why flying public think things are back to normal

AirportPlanner1
3rd Apr 2022, 23:59
Because we’re being told it’s all over. Flew to Netherlands three weeks back and lost 25% of pax. Yes a lot were foreign football fans self connecting but at least some were British completely oblivious they needed a test because “it’s in the news we don’t need one”.

It’s far beyond aviation it’s everywhere. It’s back to the December position in town of shops/restaurants with signs in the window opening late, closing early, closed today…staff absences/unforeseen circumstances etc. In-person meetings cancelled. At the local Parkrun attendance was way down yesterday.

hobbit1983
4th Apr 2022, 21:07
Relatives of mine have had their flights cancelled for three weeks time....from reading social media et al it doesn't seem like an isolated incident on just that route.

Three weeks from now seems too far away just to be down to covid. Does anyone know the reason? Are they trimming back on routes?

SKOJB
4th Apr 2022, 21:21
Relatives of mine have had their flights cancelled for three weeks time....from reading social media et al it doesn't seem like an isolated incident on just that route.

Three weeks from now seems too far away just to be down to covid. Does anyone know the reason? Are they trimming back on routes?

Staffing issues? I know BACF have recently had big problems crewing certain routes

lfc84
4th Apr 2022, 21:28
Tactical cancellation due to staff shortage

The96er
4th Apr 2022, 21:36
The ‘Covid’ excuse is being used a lot by various aviation related parties. In order to hit the ground running for the Summer schedule, you need to be recruiting no later than Nov-early Dec and use the relatively quiet winter period for training. This never happens in aviation as the companies do not want excess staff on their books with little income from the fare box. This is not a new phenomenon as it happens every year.

MANFAN
25th Apr 2022, 14:56
Trying to book hold luggage for a flight which I only require for the outbound and not the return flight…EasyJet website states it has to be done at the airport on departure, but I can’t find out any further info like how much it’ll cost.
It’s £29.49 to add a 15kg bag per flight which is fine but, I only want it for one way and not the return leg…

lfc84
25th Apr 2022, 15:18
Phone them