PDA

View Full Version : CAA Electronic Conspicuity Rebate

asyncio
6th Oct 2020, 15:28
I'm surprised no-one has posted this yet, as everyone always likes free money...

The CAA are now giving out rebates of up to £250 to encourage people to add electronic conspicuity devices to their aircraft.
This includes ADS-B Out as well as portable/proprietary devices like Flarm and PilotAware.
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Aircraft-ownership-and-maintenance/Electronic-Conspicuity-devices/

TheOddOne
6th Oct 2020, 18:56
It's only going to be of any use if the CAA mandate ONE type of EC and include Class G in the requirement. Also, you need to have mandated at least an aural warning device turned on with direction and range of threat in the audio. Having it on Skydemon or a panel-mounted screen in my opinion worsens the situation as folk will be even more heads-in than they are now.
There have been a number of high-profile fatal mid-airs in the United States recently. In several cases, in airspace where ADS-B hasn't been mandatory and wasn't even turned on.

There are other mitigations against mid-airs. A recent mid-air in the UK AAIB reports suggested that the 2 aircraft concerned were on different radio frequencies, so position reports would have been useless to each other. We need greater discipline on which units to work where. The report also went on to say some local pilots turn off their transponders to avoid being caught infringing - completely illegal!

2 years ago we needed a new transponder in the Club aircraft so chose to spend the extra on ADS-B 'out'. Routinely, we're the only such equipped aircraft in the local area. It's absolutely great for tracking the progress of students and hirers but pretty useless for collision avoidance. Our local Radar unit do a great job with 'Basic service but', then giving us advice on other traffic, based on our Mode 'S'.

TOO

Hotel-Mama
12th Oct 2020, 11:28
I think most people accept that unless a substantial proportion of GA traffic use interoperable EC then it will be of limited use. However, I think it is a bit negative to suggest that unless we have a US-style mandate that EC is a waste of time. This carrot has certainly worked with me. I had been contemplating buying a SkyEcho2 ever since it became legal to use with a transponder. The rebate offer prodded me into action to place an order quickly before stocks ran out or the rebate reached its cap. I gave it a try yesterday, and was very pleased. For sure it only detected a minority of other traffic, but still showed up a worthwhile number of other aircraft, including giving an audible warning of one on a reciprocal heading which I can easily imagine not seeing until too late. If this initiative coaxes more people off the fence, that has to be a good thing.

Having said that, I am slightly surprised that this initiative is not restricted to ADS-B devices, given that the CAA have stated that 1090 MHz ADS-B is its preferred EC solution for GA. It would have been a great opportunity to encourage standardisation on ADS-B. Maybe they didn’t want to get into a fight with a howling lynch mob of PilotAware and PowerFlarm users. Does anyone have a better explanation? I suspect that most of the uptake will be with ADS-B, and the maximum rebate does seem to have the price of SkyEcho 2 in mind ;). Looking at the interoperability matrix, I suppose counsel of perfection for the time being would be to use my SkyEcho2 for ADS-B out and my old PAW device (the explosion in an electronics shop version),as a receiver, though I really do not want all the clutter. PAW filled a gap for a while, but I think it has served its time and I hope that inclusion in this initiative does not delay de-facto standardisation, through weight of numbers, on ADS-B.

ETOPS
12th Oct 2020, 16:25
Having it on Skydemon or a panel-mounted screen in my opinion worsens the situation as folk will be even more heads-in than they are now.

Completely disagree - I fly with SkyDemon alerts fed by Bluetooth directly to my headset. It is now second nature to disregard the screen and simply look where directed. The female voice I have selected is very clear and the call outs appear to be accurate.

mikehallam
13th Oct 2020, 08:30
Completely disagree - I fly with SkyDemon alerts fed by Bluetooth directly to my headset. It is now second nature to disregard the screen and simply look where directed. The female voice I have selected is very clear and the call outs appear to be accurate.

Where does Rosetta fit and or is it ok?

ETOPS
13th Oct 2020, 10:31
Hello Mike,

I have an RV-6 with the "tip-up" canopy thus there is a rear window. I have mounted the Rosetta vertically on the starboard side so the aerials have a good view. Two wires are involved (power and ADSB feed to transponder) which are neatly secured under the canopy sill and not really in view.

Performance is now excellent - the new software update and the ATOM/Grid combine to show more traffic than before and provide a constant readout of the nearest METAR station QNH. No need for RPS from now on.

The clincher for me is the way Skydemon uses the Rosetta output to produce traffic alerts. It has become second nature to simply look where the call-out suggests with no need to look at the screen. I do keep an iPhone running with just the PAW radar screen showing as a pre-warning of the situation ahead - you can alter the display range easily.

So I am ADSB-out via my Mode S transponder and ADSB-in plus Metars via the Rosetta and I'm free to scan with the Mk1 eyeball as well.......

mikehallam
13th Oct 2020, 12:07
Thank you,
At this stage the only self contained kit,free once purchased is adsb out with SE2.
All the rest eg using adsb in, or a rival, requires cobbling different lumps together, finding non 12 volts plus wires and all from different makers. A sort of "bread board" solution. Too messy to desire as well as for me, annual fees for stuff l don't want. VFR chart, compass, watch and eyeball are my modus operandus, plus the superb Airbox AWARE warning screen. All free except for a new electronic Chart as needed.

mike.

Hello Mike,

I have an RV-6 with the "tip-up" canopy thus there is a rear window. I have mounted the Rosetta vertically on the starboard side so the aerials have a good view. Two wires are involved (power and ADSB feed to transponder) which are neatly secured under the canopy sill and not really in view.

Performance is now excellent - the new software update and the ATOM/Grid combine to show more traffic than before and provide a constant readout of the nearest METAR station QNH. No need for RPS from now on.

The clincher for me is the way Skydemon uses the Rosetta output to produce traffic alerts. It has become second nature to simply look where the call-out suggests with no need to look at the screen. I do keep an iPhone running with just the PAW radar screen showing as a pre-warning of the situation ahead - you can alter the display range easily.

So I am ADSB-out via my Mode S transponder and ADSB-in plus Metars via the Rosetta and I'm free to scan with the Mk1 eyeball as well.......

ETOPS
13th Oct 2020, 12:19
requires cobbling different lumps together, finding non 12 volts plus wires and all from different makers. A sort of "bread board" solution

That's nothing like the way I see it.

annual fees

It's a few quid - a price I can easily afford to assist in safe flying.

mikehallam
13th Oct 2020, 17:19
Thanks ETOPS,

FWIW. Lynx said "....The Pilot Aware Rosetta does not transmit ADS-B out in its own right. It can provide GPS to a suitable ES Mode S Transponder, to give ADS-B out at Sil 0, which means uncertified ADS-B out. "

So smooth coversage isn't definite if "I" choose stuff based on the Flyer pages conflicting 'expert' contents this week !

The 12 hr battery & attracive SE2 OUT is self contained and conforms to a growing state supported UK.,US Canada standard method.
So far so good, but to translate its potential ADSB IN then requires another firm's offerings.
One such I read up demands a regulated 5 volt 2 amp uninterrupted supply and recommends one buys "a good cigarette socket device".. Which I'm left to acquire.

I do realise you do have it sussed, perhaps in the end one copies someone else: though workable it remains a rather Heath Robinson solution !
It needs a minimum of three or more separate components, plus wires and blue tooth etc. - all for obtaining a DIY fledgling EC scheme. It's deffo cobbled together.

Lynx meanwhile have kindly offered to demonstrate various conglomerates they sell to potential purchasers visiting Turweston, which could provide a sort of way through.

By example of a single'together' solutuion to a pilot's instrument take my EFIS. A complete system arrives, fits a standard 2 1/4" panel hole & only needs a 12 volt feed, it comes with quality plug/socket connecting lead to its remote GPS head. All self contained , all from one maker & works without compromise.

Apart from being kind to others SE2 alone isn't really enough, fees for proprietry translating gear use don't appeal either. Effectively that's a tax on safety,
Shirley our CAA want universal in/out implementation ?

Now it's a confusing time, one wants to do the right thing however it's too early yet to find any single make whole solution, in the interim it's a DIY Beta effort using cottage industry products.

ETOPS
13th Oct 2020, 18:48
at Sil 0, which means uncertified ADS-B out. "

Of no consequence to our type of flying. Remember all Civil Air Transport that uses TAS/TCAS has to use incoming transponder signals that generate the collision avoidance advisories. Thus your “uncertified” signal does not alter the TCAS seeing your transponder - even mode C. The only standalone kit (SE 2) is still detected by such aircraft and displayed - still have to find out if an RA will be generated.

Hotel-Mama
13th Oct 2020, 21:46
to translate its potential ADSB IN then requires another firm's offerings

Well, yes, SE2 doesn't have a display, but moving map software on a tablet etc. is so ubiquitous and useful in its own right that requiring a user to have such a device to view ADS-B in from SE2 is hardly a big ask.

It needs a minimum of three or more separate components, plus wires and blue tooth etc. - all for obtaining a DIY fledgling EC scheme.
ADS-B IN/OUT with SE2 really only requires one extra component: a moving map device with wifi, which a lot of people (probably a majority) will have already. A very useful addition (some would say essential) is a Bluetooth headset or intercom. This setup has no wires anywhere, which is to me is a significant attraction over PAW-Rosetta. I bought a PilotAware unit at the time SkyEcho could not be used at the same time as a transponder, and therefore use was of doubtful legality in a transponder equipped aircraft. However, given the moves to standardise on ADS-B, I think PAW's hour has passed, and I really cannot fathom why it is on the rebate list.

mikehallam
14th Oct 2020, 08:15
HotelM,
Is that it ?
I buy SE2 run on its own internal battery.
I buy a largish screen Android tablet also its own battery and get them to WiFi each other.

No wires, no fees and no holes to cut or wiring. Recharge at home.?
Oh, edit. Get a phone sim with PAYG credit and put into the phablet and use a free map preloaded off the web. Keep my superb AirboxAWARE for ATZ etc plus CAA chart display.
Still workable. Thanks.

Hotel-Mama
14th Oct 2020, 18:28
mikehallam Nearly. When I said "a moving map device" I did mean a tablet with moving map EFB software. There are plenty of options that work with SE2, some of which are free (e.g. EasyVFR Basic) and others require a subscription. I have only every used SkyDemon, so cannot speak for other options. As far as I know Airbox Aware does not work with any EC input.

mikehallam
14th Oct 2020, 19:34
Hotel-Mama,
Thank you so much, it's a totally new facility to me.

I looked VFR Basic up and loaded it plus air maps into my 7" screen mobile. The detail of airspace is great and its gps located me quickly.
I could keep my Airbox kit running with CAA Chart with space in front of me (Velcro'd on !) for my phone screen showing VFR Basic.

To tax your kindly brain a little further please, and before I order SE2:
In the easy VFR settings menu it mentions:-
a) "moving map info fields" ?? I suspect that's not what I need for SE2.
b) "FLARM/PilotAware settings". ---- Is this the correct link for SE2 IN to send acceptable signals to display ADSB contacts on the phone screen ?

mikehallam
15th Oct 2020, 16:56
Since asking above I learnt from elsewhere that SE2 with WiFi works with Free easy vfr basic on an GPS/Android 'phone.

QED.