PDA

View Full Version : EGPWS escape altitudes.

Sergei.a320
5th Oct 2020, 09:26
Hello everyone! 2 interesting questions. During terrain escape procedure ( radar vectors to mountain after takeoff scenario) shall we use MSA(SID plate) to climb or MVA (Radar mnm alts jepp plate) , and another question shall we stay with QNH or set STD?

​​​​​Answer with reference please.thanx.

​​​

sonicbum
5th Oct 2020, 09:56
Hello everyone! 2 interesting questions. During terrain escape procedure ( radar vectors to mountain after takeoff scenario) shall we use MSA(SID plate) to climb or MVA (Radar mnm alts jepp plate) , and another question shall we stay with QNH or set STD?

​​​​​Answer with reference please.thanx.

​​​

Hi !

The question shows that this exercise was unfortunately not properly debriefed by the instructor.

First thing first, the EGPWS scenario exercise is extremely prone to negative training unless : the instructor briefs the crew "for training purposes and only for the purpose of practicing the procedure I will vector You towards high terrain. I will ask You to disregard the terrain look ahead functions generating the cautions such as terrain ahead and wait for the warning including the pull up call." Then the instructor checks and agrees with the trainees for the appropriate altitude needed for the escape maneuver (it is training, not a check), in that case the MSA as it represents the minimum altitude in that sector granting you 1000 ft over the obstacle, provided You are still within 25NM from the reference, otherwise You need to go and look for the applicable Grid MORA.
MRVA's are used when published to crosscheck the altitudes issued by ATC. All based on QNH (tho you might have FL shown on MRVAs).
The above references are 100% in Your OM-C.

Check Airman
5th Oct 2020, 14:20
Personally, I’m unlikely to have the radar minimum altitudes chart open, so it’d be MSA (or MEA if further out) for me.

QNH vs QNE? That’s never come up before. I guess for high alt airports, in that situation, I’d just wait for the plane to remind me (Airbus).

Switchbait
5th Oct 2020, 15:34
Maximum thrust
climb like nobody’s business
until TERRAIN CLEARANCE is assured.

MSA is generally a good start. But depending on where you are and why your triggered the warning, it may change the final altitude climbed to. Day light VMC may allow a completely different response to a night time or IMC event.