PDA

View Full Version : Why Iran Air? Covid-19.

RoyHudd
12th Mar 2020, 15:32
How is it that Iran Air have re-started operating into the UK? Surely this is a very bad idea, particularly as their passengers merge with a fairly busy crowd of people in T3, and planeloads of unchecked passengers from the Tehran flight enter the UK without any form of check or restriction. Just Foreign Office advice for returning travellers.

This appears very wrong to me.

atakacs
12th Mar 2020, 15:40
Is that a recent development?

ericlday
12th Mar 2020, 15:45
IranAir (https://simpleflying.com/iran-europe-flight-suspension/) has abruptly canceled its European flight suspension only three days after it began. The airline had been directed to do so by the Iranian Civil Aviation Organisation and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but thanks to efforts by the airline CEO, it has now reopened the routes. Services will return to normal by the end of today. Courtesy SimpleFlying.com

RoyHudd
12th Mar 2020, 15:47
Iran Air were permitted to re-start flights to Europe on the 11th March, (yesterday) only using A320 aircraft. Other a/c types, notably the A330 and the historic A300/A310's within the airline remain banned by EASA due to non-current databases I understand. The issue is, however, virus transmission.

KelvinD
15th Mar 2020, 11:05
The A330 is no longer banned. They apparently fixed the software problem and IR711 is currently en route to LHR (EP-IJA)

kkbuk
15th Mar 2020, 20:35
How is it that Iran Air have re-started operating into the UK? Surely this is a very bad idea, particularly as their passengers merge with a fairly busy crowd of people in T3, and planeloads of unchecked passengers from the Tehran flight enter the UK without any form of check or restriction. Just Foreign Office advice for returning travellers.

This appears very wrong to me.
But our esteemed Prime Minister says that we have control of our own borders now, whether we choose to man those borders is another matter altogether.

RoyHudd
15th Mar 2020, 20:43
But our esteemed Prime Minister says that we have control of our own borders now, whether we choose to man those borders is another matter altogether.
The 330 is marginally better than the 320, which was making a fuel stop in Rimini en-route to and from LHR. Talk about exposure.

gearlever
15th Mar 2020, 21:18
It's time to think about Iran, but you have to be open minded.
I'm an EU Citizen, working for more than 30 years for an EU carrier, had the pleasure to work with some Iranians, great folks.
Now retired, my next 2-3 month trip will be to Iran.
I just want to see, what's going on there.

Old Dogs
15th Mar 2020, 22:07
It's time to think about Iran, but you have to be open minded.
I'm an EU Citizen, working for more than 30 years for an EU carrier, had the pleasure to work with some Iranians, great folks.
Now retired, my next 2-3 month trip will be to Iran.
I just want to see, what's going on there.

Thank you for this.

I have been married to a wonderful Iranian gal for 25 years and I am quite familiar with the culture.

Persians are legendary for their kind, generous hospitality and thousands of years of fascinating history.

You will very much enjoy your trip.

gearlever
15th Mar 2020, 22:49
Thank you for this.

I have been married to a wonderful Iranian gal for 25 years and I am quite familiar with the culture.

Persians are legendary for their kind, generous hospitality and thousands of years of fascinating history.

You will very much enjoy your trip.

Thx OD.

I had some layovers at Teheran, did some sightseeing up north, but can't wait to have a more detailed look.

towrope
15th Mar 2020, 23:08
My experience as well with Persians here in the US. They invented hospitality and are masters at it.

RoyHudd
16th Mar 2020, 01:00
Granted, Iranians can be very hospitable people. I know that too, from experience. From visiting the country and from meeting expatriates.

But what has that to do with unnecessary and risky transmission of the Covid-19 virus? The spread of the contagion is alarmingly high, principally from Qom. The stupid "religious" authorities have seen fit to encourage mass pilgrimages in the face of hard facts concerning the spread of this virus in their country.

Uncontained travel from Iran to the UK is utterly wrong at this moment. Nothing to do with how nice the people are.

KelvinD
16th Mar 2020, 05:21
Why then is Alitalia still flying daily into London from Rome? Italy has twice as many cases of Covid-19 as Iran.

yoganmahew
16th Mar 2020, 10:31
Why then is Alitalia still flying daily into London from Rome? Italy has twice as many cases of Covid-19 as Iran.
Italy has *reported* twice as many cases as Iran...

foxcharliep2
17th Mar 2020, 19:21
An Iran Air scheduled flight landed in Frankfurt yesterday - no checks or medical controls at FRA..
Another flight is scheduled for tomorrow.
Royally pissed off by this irresponsible neglicence. Criminal IMO.

https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/medizin/coronavirus-warum-landen-noch-flugzeuge-aus-iran-in-deutschland-a-cc762322-1533-4bdb-9bfe-f4a9e59dd7ac

RoyHudd
19th Mar 2020, 11:24
Iran's reporting of numbers is about as dependable as their word on nuclear weaponry. Stop them from flying internationally. And Alitalia too.

LTNman
19th Mar 2020, 13:21
Should have stopped flights from China, Italy and Iran a long time ago. It was how this country got first infected. We took no action, as did most nations, but now it is too late many borders are being closed around the world.

RoyHudd
24th Mar 2020, 16:16
IR711 arrived today (24 March) and used T3.

I first pointed out the gross risk employees and pax are exposed to from this service in an earlier posting 12 days ago. Having been in T3 and passing close to the departure gate for an Iran Air Flight on 12 March, I am now astonished that these flights are permitted to continue. The Covid-19 virus has taken hold in Tehran, with many deaths reported. Knowing the Iranian government's penchant for covering up unsavoury truths, the probability exists that these flights are exposing pax and employees at LHR to high risk levels.

Without wokeish comments on the wonderful nature of the Iranian people, can someone please explain why this risk-laden situation is permitted?

In my view, the levels of safety in the UK's lockdown are minimal. Having just returned from Canada, I have witnessed proper safety measures being taken everywhere without any lockdown being announced. (Including the airport YVR, much safer than LHR or MAN).

Sleeve Wing
24th Mar 2020, 16:27
This is unbelievable ! I can't even go out to buy a paper and yet we are still allowing inbound flights from one of the most unreliable countries in the world. :ugh:

Herod
24th Mar 2020, 16:32
I was going to post on the same subject, about UK airports in general. Is there any real check to prevent a passenger passing through Immigration, catching the tube or bus into London and moving about? As Sleeve Wing says; unbelievable. The walk for a paper this morning combined the one allowed "essentials" journey and the one allowed "exercise".

foxcharliep2
24th Mar 2020, 16:34
Cannot agree more with you Roy.

Just checked and there's a scheduled IR flight supposed to land at FRA tomorrow morning.

Irresponsible and dangerous.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/994x852/iran_air_fra_25_03_2020_868fe0fe1e7acadaceba0ae127e97c15c522 d88c.jpg

KelvinD
24th Mar 2020, 16:34
The USA has today 46,168 cases, while the equivalent for Iran is 24,811. Why are various airlines still flying between Heathrow and the USA?
China Eastern, China Southern and Air China have all been running (albeit subject to the odd cancellation) between China and Heathrow. We all know what is going on in China so why do you feel the need to go on about 1 airline in particular?

esscee
24th Mar 2020, 16:43
In the future, what up to now has been free movement between countries will have to be controlled. This crisis shows what happens if it is not controlled. Absolutely farcical!!

Jumbo744
24th Mar 2020, 16:45
The USA has today 46,168 cases, while the equivalent for Iran is 24,811. Why are various airlines still flying between Heathrow and the USA?
China Eastern, China Southern and Air China have all been running (albeit subject to the odd cancellation) between China and Heathrow. We all know what is going on in China so why do you feel the need to go on about 1 airline in particular?

Very well said 👍

250 kts
24th Mar 2020, 16:52
And Alitalia continue to operate to Heathrow

250 kts
24th Mar 2020, 16:54
I was going to post on the same subject, about UK airports in general. Is there any real check to prevent a passenger passing through Immigration, catching the tube or bus into London and moving about? As Sleeve Wing says; unbelievable. The walk for a paper this morning combined the one allowed "essentials" journey and the one allowed "exercise".
Nothing at all. We were surprised not to be checked 2 weeks ago on our return from Thailand. Our relations arrived yesterday from CPT, having been told a load of cruise pax were on their flight and no checks at all on arrival at LHR

birdy340
24th Mar 2020, 17:08
Just heard on the news this evening, that on two repatriation flights to Athens from London and Madrid with total of 263 pax 25 of them were found Covid 19 positive.Luckily they were all confined in a hotel and released after the test.

KelvinD
24th Mar 2020, 17:22
And Alitalia continue to operate to Heathrow Indeed! And it seems they are upgrading at least one of those flights from A320 to an A330.

Compton3fox
24th Mar 2020, 17:25
Words fail me. I work with folks in the US daily and they are all confined to their homes. Ditto in most of Europe. We need to shut this down now. Leave Cargo running but the rest can wait for 3 weeks.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1490x720/cv19_air_240320_1b438758e3467eca56f958aa44791443c6b55184.jpg

RoyHudd
24th Mar 2020, 18:19
Iran has 1/4 the population of USA, and almost 4 times the number of deaths from Covid-19. Hence my concern. (Please stop using misleading selected data to support your evident love of Iran, Kelvin D. It is a very dishonest country in many peoples' minds, and their medical incidence/death data is considered by experts to be a gross underestimate)

I agree that flights from Italy and the USA should also be stopped by the way, although the 3 Italian flights are all from Rome, not Milan/Northern Italy. New York is a hotspot, and I am very bothered that those flights are still running. Concerns on safety are probably outweighed by the socio-economic strength and importance of transport links to the USA and Italy.. There are no such compelling reason for poverty-stricken AND disease-ridden Iran. Sorry. Nevertheless, flights from high risk cities and countries should cease forthwith.

pax britanica
24th Mar 2020, 18:22
I saw an AZ A330 operating the afternoon Rome-London yesterday but while our government seems mind blowingly negligent in allowing Iran Air and all kinds of flights from China and NY , the AZ issue isnt that bad as huge number of Italian cases are in the north.

Like others i do not understand why we have no screening , temperature checking at LHR or elsewhere .are we just a lazy nation when it comes to managing large numbers of people? Same logic about not closing stock exchanges around the world-they have suspended trading over much less serious issues.

Of course those flights that do operate are getting all sorts of direct approaches to LHR but I suspect many crews would give a lot to hear a NATS controller say pickup the hold at XXX expect 20 minute delay once again

anxiao
24th Mar 2020, 18:30
Please don't shut it down. I am still trying to get home, been stranded for two weeks. Two sectors and 13 hours flying time. Only two airlines on the route, both chocker, selling seats for three to four times last year. ID travel out of the question. Bstewards.

I know umbrellas cost more when it rains, but this is gouging.

Rant over

Jumbo744
24th Mar 2020, 18:50
It is a very dishonest country in many peoples' minds

The USA? Ah yes I agree completely.

Radgirl
24th Mar 2020, 18:58
We should have isolated China in January, ie not allowed any flights out, and then questioned everyone to check they hadnt been in china since november
We should have tested like mad
We should havetotally closed the borders by 22 February
And we should have locked down the UK 2 weeks ago

Of course there should be NO flights with humans other than aircrew from ANYWHERE. Repatriation flights only and into strict quarantine. no ships except cargo and no crew to disembark

The underground was packed this morning and we are supposed to be in lockdown. I am really worried. And when we stop lockdown in many months time we should keep ALL our borders COMPLETELY closed - Singapore and China and Hong Kong are getting reinfected from abroad. It may well be we have to keep each country isolated until we can vaccinate. This only applies to humans, not animals nor goods so isnt actually that big a commercial issue. But the politicians just dont get it

The Range
24th Mar 2020, 19:05
And flights from MAD, a hot spot for Covid-19

Una Due Tfc
24th Mar 2020, 19:06
Because the UK is doing virtually no testing and no contact tracing, and as such is making an absolute mess of the whole situation, look at the tube this morning.

Mammagoose
24th Mar 2020, 20:14
Alitalia flights are operating just to bring back home the italians stuck in the UK. No italians are going in the UK!

Old Dogs
24th Mar 2020, 20:15
Today's World Health Organization data:

Infected Iranians = 24,811
Infected Americans = 52,402

Why is America flying into Heathrow?

gearlever
24th Mar 2020, 22:10

Because it's America First.

Australopithecus
25th Mar 2020, 02:01
“The US is already making noises about relaxing restrictions and getting the economy going again. “

And in other news, scientists at Trump University announce another breakthrough in artificial stupidity development.

magyarflyer
25th Mar 2020, 05:03

and American Airlines from Dfw to Narita Japan?

stoatsbrother
25th Mar 2020, 08:01
As a Doc, who has only posted here once before... I can see there are arguments on both sides, but the lockdown side wins:

Yes, a travel ban may seem like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but along with intense testing regimes, travel bans and lockdowns have been part of what has worked in the few countries who have got this under some sort of control.

The key issue however is that the number of deaths this will cause if there is, for example, a 70% world infection rate, is not fixed, but dependent on the capacity of Health Services to deal with the ill. If stopping cramming people into hot sweaty tubes of recycled air, less than 2m apart, for many hours, can help "flatten the curve" and keep health services functioning better, including functioning better for those who will fall ill with non-virus related conditions, such as Heart Attacks and multi-trauma, then it is a price worth paying. And the harder the lockdown, the shorter it will be.

Framing this in terms of rejection of environmental concerns, or interference with your Libertarian/free-market views is flawed logic. Any belief in yourself/your beliefs/your country being superior and exempt is misplaced. Above all, this is a time for people to show they do believe in helping and protecting others.

It amazes me that the avowedly Christian US politicians, have not yet understood the realities here, and connected them with their own moral compasses... Of course there is lots of brilliant work been done by believers, but they still voted for this transparently uncharitable man, whose approval rating has actually gone up recently!

Lastly; there may well come a time when - hopefully - mainland Europe and the UK are on top of all this, and infection is being managed in a sustainable way until a vaccine or treatment is available. I hope so. And at this point - on current evidence - I suspect it will still be out of control in the US, in Africa, and in the Indian Subcontinent. The WHO is already flagging the US as a future epicentre. Then, a travel ban on flights from the US to Europe may become very important.

Airbubba
25th Mar 2020, 12:46
Florida has imposed a mandatory quarantine on travelers from New York. Perhaps some of the small countries can't afford to do this.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis also issued an executive order (https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/orders/2020/EO_20-80.pdf) requiring anyone flying to Florida from New York, New Jersey or Connecticut to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival. That mandate took effect Tuesday.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/03/24/coronavirus-travel-restrictions-isolation-florida-hawaii-alaska/2906751001/

For decades I've been urging the New Yorkers down South to repatriate. In South Florida they are truly an export commodity. ;)

Landflap
29th Mar 2020, 11:18
Associate was visiting friends & relations in ME ,Qatar,( I think), travelling out from UK before the lockdowns. Got back into LHR on Friday (don't know which carrier ). Says LHR was a ghost town but there were no checks on pax arriving. Trying to find out which ME country and which carrier but, truly farcical actions from UK Authorities.

slowjet
30th Mar 2020, 09:06
Yes, it was Qatar & QR have a regular flt into LHR from Doha. Pax released into CV-19 land without any checks by the UK. Mind boggling eh ?

Old Dogs
30th Mar 2020, 22:53
As a Doc, who has only posted here once before... I can see there are arguments on both sides, but the lockdown side wins:

Yes, a travel ban may seem like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but along with intense testing regimes, travel bans and lockdowns have been part of what has worked in the few countries who have got this under some sort of control.

Framing this in terms of rejection of environmental concerns, or interference with your Libertarian/free-market views is flawed logic. Any belief in yourself/your beliefs/your country being superior and exempt is misplaced. Above all, this is a time for people to show they do believe in helping and protecting others.

It amazes me that the avowedly Christian US politicians, have not yet understood the realities here, and connected them with their own moral compasses... Of course there is lots of brilliant work been done by believers, but they still voted for this transparently uncharitable man, whose approval rating has actually gone up recently!

Lastly; there may well come a time when - hopefully - mainland Europe and the UK are on top of all this, and infection is being managed in a sustainable way until a vaccine or treatment is available. I hope so. And at this point - on current evidence - I suspect it will still be out of control in the US, in Africa, and in the Indian Subcontinent. The WHO is already flagging the US as a future epicentre. Then, a travel ban on flights from the US to Europe may become very important.

My point was, if you're going to ban Iran then logically you must ban the rest as well.

So I agree with you.

Today's WHO stats:

Iran = 41,495
America = 161,347