PDA

View Full Version : Is it the CTR or the TMA?

A3623
14th Nov 2019, 16:27
Hi all,

Is there an ICAO or EASA rule which stipulates which airspace prevails when a CTR is defined as being part of a TMA?
For example, the Maastricht CTR is defined as being from the surface to 3.000ft AMSL and the TMA from 1.500ft AMSL to FL95, and for a big part they are part of the same geographical area (the TMA does not exclude the CTR in its definition).

So, is the part between 1.500ft and 3.000ft AMSL in the CTR or in the TMA? Whose area of responsibility is this airspace?
I'm looking for a general rule, or perhaps something in the Dutch AIP which I am missing. The same situation occurs in other European countries too (at least Austria, Greece and Germany).

Thanks for your help!

chevvron
14th Nov 2019, 18:31
A CTR is normally Class D airspace but a TMA is usually B or C and A in the UK.
As the rules for entering these latter 3 types of airspace are stricter, they take priority

A3623
14th Nov 2019, 21:06
Thanks for your reply, chevvron.

To make it a bit more complicated however, I will take the example of the LOWS CTR/TMA, both of which are the same class of airspace (D).

CTR: Surface - 7.000ft AMSL, class D
Controlling unit: Salzburg Tower

TMA: 1.000ft AGL - 3.500ft AMSL, class E
3.500ft AMSL - FL195, class D
Controlling unit: Salzburg Radar (Approach)

Whose airspace is the slice between 3.500ft and 7.000ft ?

A3623
15th Nov 2019, 08:39
Thank you both for your answers.

I understand that services can be provided remotely, and I agree that the name of the controlling unit can be completely unrelated to its location or the location of the airspace controlled (Frisbee tower controls Geilenkirchen airport).

Would the delegation of airspace be included only in the units' LoAs with each other? Should it not also be included in the AIP?
Let's say that a VFR flight wants to cross the CTR/TMA at 2.000ft from the west (Belgian class G airspace) to the east. Should the pilot contact EHBK TWR or EHBK APP?

To eliminate the difference in airspace classification, we could look at LOWS. There, both CTR and TMA are class D (between 3.500ft and 7.000ft) and the CTR is again within the TMA.

I had a look at Annex 11, and the only related thing which I found was this:
2.9.5.3 If a control zone is located within the lateral limits of a control area, it shall extend upwards from the surface of the earth to at least the lower limit of the control area.
Note.— An upper limit higher than the lower limit of the overlying control area may be established when desired.

So while it says that such a structure is possible, it does not resolve the ambiguity of the responsibility in the common airspace.

2 sheds
16th Nov 2019, 15:57
A CTR is normally Class D airspace but a TMA is usually B or C and A in the UK.
As the rules for entering these latter 3 types of airspace are stricter, they take priority

chevvron - can you quote chapter and verse for that statement?

Actually, I would have thought that the formal notification of the airspace in the AIP would/should make it clear, even if it is hard work going through all the co-ordinates and "except that airspace contained within.." etc. After all, that is the definitive authority.

2 s

A3623
17th Nov 2019, 19:45
Yes, the Tower is the unit responsible for the CTR and Approach is responsible for the TMA.

The situation at night is a bit clearer:Outside operating hours of Maastricht aachen airport(as published in the AIP Netherlands), the Maastricht CTR will change status to radio mandatory zone (RMZ).
The airspace classification within the RMZ will correspond to the surrounding airspace, GND-1500FT AMSL class G, 1500FT AMSL-3000FT AMSL class D. Air traffic service will be provided as defined for that airspace. Before entering the RMZ contact Amsterdam info on the beek tower frequency 119.480. The AIP Netherlands will be amended accordingly in due time.
REF AIP ENR 2.2.
So basically, the CTR transforms into an RMZ at and below 1.500ft AMSL and above it is swallowed by the TMA. Dutch Mil is the controlling unit of the Maastricht TMA 1 outside the Tower's operating hours.

I was also expecting something along the lines of "The TMA is this except the airspace contained in the CTR", either in the definition of the TMA itself, or as a general rule, but I guess it's considered obvious!

chevvron
18th Nov 2019, 12:14
chevvron - can you quote chapter and verse for that statement?

Actually, I would have thought that the formal notification of the airspace in the AIP would/should make it clear, even if it is hard work going through all the co-ordinates and "except that airspace contained within.." etc. After all, that is the definitive authority.

2 s
No I can't; all I can say is that once upon a time before it was re-organised in about 1976, the LTMA was the equivalent of Class E below 5,000ft irrespective of its base level which in some places was as low as 1,500ft (eg between the Heathrow and Gatwick CTRs) whilst the Heathrow CTR was 'Rule 22' (mandatory IFR) from SFC to FL110

parishiltons
22nd Nov 2019, 03:59
Yes, the Tower is the unit responsible for the CTR and Approach is responsible for the TMA.

The situation at night is a bit clearer:
So basically, the CTR transforms into an RMZ at and below 1.500ft AMSL and above it is swallowed by the TMA. Dutch Mil is the controlling unit of the Maastricht TMA 1 outside the Tower's operating hours.

I was also expecting something along the lines of "The TMA is this except the airspace contained in the CTR", either in the definition of the TMA itself, or as a general rule, but I guess it's considered obvious!
The truth of the matter is that there is a huge variation of arrangements within and between various States. You really need to look at each location in the relevant AIP on a case by case basis to work out airspace classifications/configurations/which unit manages it/and when.