PDA

View Full Version : Traffice alert systems

Holdposition
8th Aug 2002, 21:09
With the increase of traffic alert systems (portable) on the G. A. market I would ask if many use these systems and if so would appreciate comments on the suitability and effectivness of the same, this posting is not intended as a debate on traffic alert systems, however, that would be welcomed.

At a price of approx £500 these aren't cheap so can't think many carry them in their flightbag etc and I suppose if other aircraft aren't transponder equiped or perish the thought not switched on (that never happens does it:)) it makes them u s, comments apprciated.

QDMQDMQDM
8th Aug 2002, 21:15
Don't use one myself, but when I potter about here in Devon at 500 feet agl on weekdays I have my transponder on mode C in the hope that the legions of Tornados and Harriers will see me on their TCAS and avoid.

Makes me feel better anyway.

QDM

tacpot
8th Aug 2002, 21:25
Realise this is off-topic, but why are you hanging out in such a dangerous place QDMx3?

John Varndell
9th Aug 2002, 06:58
I have been using the Skywatch system produced by B.F.Goodrich in my Saratoga. It was bloody expensive but my wife thinks it's wonderful.
BUT it's not the whole story. You only get warnings of transponding A/C and only up to 6 miles range. However as I am based at Blackbushe in some of the busiest skies in the UK I consider it to be a sound investment. Strangely, since I had the kit fitted, I look out the window more than ever.

QDMQDMQDM
9th Aug 2002, 09:37
Realise this is off-topic, but why are you hanging out in such a dangerous place QDMx3?

North Devon is very uncrowded generally, so I reckon it's unlikely one will bump into anything, even at 500 feet. And you see a lot more from that height. No point flying a cub at 2,000 feet. That's practically stratospheric!

Anyway, posted this question on the military board and they said no frontline jets are fitted with TCAS yet, so bang goes that theory.

QDM

bcfc
9th Aug 2002, 10:11
QDM3

As a brother of one the afformentioned Harrier pilots and bimbling around similar airspace, he gave me stern advice - stay above 2,500ft on weekdays if you want to be safe.

When we go for a jolly in the 172, his eardrums bleed above 2000.

-bcfc

QDMQDMQDM
9th Aug 2002, 10:23
As a brother of one the afformentioned Harrier pilots and bimbling around similar airspace, he gave me stern advice - stay above 2,500ft on weekdays if you want to be safe

I don't know how many days of the year you can actually get up to 2,500ft VFR in Devon, probably not that many.

The probability in our extensive uncontrolled airspace here of hitting a fast jet on its way through seems very low. There's a lot of space. It's not like there's a narrow gap that everyone has to squeeze through and they only come over about once a day, sometimes twice

In the last analysis, you have to accept a level of risk in life. I think we get too hung up on safety at all costs sometimes.

QDM

Julian
9th Aug 2002, 10:39
There was a review of the traffic alert system in either 'Flyer' or 'Pilot' very recently. I think they found it pretty useful on the whole.