PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Airbus wing lights always on?

rekop
13th Sep 2019, 10:19
Does anyone know why Swiss always has the wing lights on on their Airbuses?

Capt Fathom
13th Sep 2019, 11:23
Something to do with the switch position? :E

jmmoric
13th Sep 2019, 11:24

They forget to swiss them off?

rekop
13th Sep 2019, 12:00
Because the switch is called “wing on/off” and they don’t dare to put it in wing off?! 🤪

DaveReidUK
13th Sep 2019, 12:06

I don't know, but I've always though that having the logo light on the tail was a big plus.

Fly Aiprt
13th Sep 2019, 12:46
In Switzerland, even cars must have their lights always on.

widmimabi
13th Sep 2019, 12:52
To be better seen from other aircraft in fog or in the air as the logo light is by design switch off by gear up or slats in.
some pilots use that as a reminder for " clear to push"
Or to always see if the wings are still there 😀😀

lomapaseo
13th Sep 2019, 13:21

Some believe that birds know what the lights mean

pattern_is_full
13th Sep 2019, 23:16
At most commercial operations I'm familiar with, the policy was - nav lights (red and green wing) ON when the aircraft was "alive." Crew on board, or electrical power flowing.

Which includes most turnarounds, and even overnight if the aircraft is (electrically, probably with ground connection) powered up for ground personnel (cleaners, mechanics and such).

With a full cold shutdown, the nav lights are the last thing turned off before the Master power switches.

Check Airman
14th Sep 2019, 00:20
Nav light switch on my fleet is covered with dust...

rekop
14th Sep 2019, 07:02
These are all very good guesses :-) Does anybody actually know why Swiss has it in their SOP. Not many companies use the wing lights for anything else than what they are designed for - to check for ice on the wing leading edge in flight. Nav and logo lights are the same switch and they are enough to keep the aircraft visible.

easymxp
14th Sep 2019, 09:02
Some captains I used to fly a part from icing conditions etc wanted to have them on on some “little lighted - dark” airports during evening/night turnaround. But this was an exception rather than the usual.

ACMS
14th Sep 2019, 10:33
Qantas use their Wing Lights all the time for taxi takeoff and landings on all fleets.

I can’t see any problem with doing it.
I sometimes switch them on in busy disorganized airspace such as Delhi or Jakarta and when crossing busy runways in places like Seoul and Beijing at night, can’t hurt to light up the Jet a little more.

I still remember a Us Air 737 landing on top of a Metro at LAX a number of years ago simply because the 737 crew didn’t see them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_runway_disaster

An an old saying referring to Driving in Victoria years ago is relevant to Aviation:—

“Be seen, be safe”

If you wish to talk about stupid use of lights then complain about the idiots that love aiming their nose at you lining up with all their lights blazing in your face......now that is bad airmanship.

meleagertoo
14th Sep 2019, 15:36

Er...many Hans make light work...?

Ahem! I'll get my coat!

csd
14th Sep 2019, 17:21
If you wish to talk about stupid use of lights then complain about the idiots that love aiming their nose at you lining up with all their lights blazing in your face......now that is bad airmanship.

I've never found that a problem. Admittedly, turning onto the runway with traffic waiting at the reciprocal hold point, I normally do turn the lights off as a courtesy. However, if crews leave them on whilst pointing at me, I just don't look down the centre of the beam. Never been an issue for me.

Look up the incident involving a 737 at FAHS in 2011. A good reminder that perhaps those lights are useful after all.

WhatShortage
14th Sep 2019, 22:33
To be better seen from other aircraft in fog or in the air as the logo light is by design switch off by gear up or slats in.
some pilots use that as a reminder for " clear to push"
Or to always see if the wings are still there 😀😀
Do you know that sensation of knowing something or having read something, then mixing everything up and obviously give an erroneous explanation? That was your reply since the beginning.

Lights on fog = even less visibility than having them off
"" "" Clear to push"" "" = beacon on

ACMS
15th Sep 2019, 10:27
I've never found that a problem. Admittedly, turning onto the runway with traffic waiting at the reciprocal hold point, I normally do turn the lights off as a courtesy. However, if crews leave them on whilst pointing at me, I just don't look down the centre of the beam. Never been an issue for me.

It happens a lot at places like HK with holding points on opposite sides of the runway, very annoying and inconsiderate to blast your landing lights straight into another crews face 100’ away.........

Anyway thread drift.....

Smythe
15th Sep 2019, 21:47
With your lights on, AC thinks the taxiway is a runway...be careful1

AerocatS2A
15th Sep 2019, 21:59
With your lights on, AC thinks the taxiway is a runway...be careful1
No, those jets all had their lights OFF. One of the crews turning them ON was one of the things that made AC go around.

fdr
16th Sep 2019, 07:53
1. Because they are wise beyond their years?
2. the bullet that gets you is the one you don't see?
3. Why would you not?

pineteam
16th Sep 2019, 08:23
Airbus FCOM says: When crossing a runway: Strobe sw.... ON and Runway turn off lights..... ON. Period. No TCAS, it's forbidden due to potential interference and no other lights. I don't understand why some airlines like to supersede Airbus SOP. If you don't see an aircraft with his strobe ON, something is terribly wrong. By the way the wing light is annoying for other traffic taxiing nearby. xD

jmmoric
16th Sep 2019, 10:35
I'm not sure about the SoP for all carriers, but one thing hinting us as ATC, is that some airlines turn on landing lights when being given an take off clearance.

ACMS
16th Sep 2019, 12:47
I'm not sure about the SoP for all carriers, but one thing hinting us as ATC, is that some airlines turn on landing lights when being given an take off clearance.

yes correct....Airbus SOP...

pineteam
16th Sep 2019, 12:55

This is standard procedure on Airbus. They are called landing lights but they are used for take off and landing and anytimes flying below 10 000 feet Above Aerodrome Level.

EDIT: Oups, ACMS, you beat me on that one. xD

FlightDetent
16th Sep 2019, 17:30
The LAND = ON upon receipt of TKOF clearance in the Cookbook was a change about 7 years ago, to align the generic manufacturer's guidance to the industry best practice from the FAA land. Before, a more grass-root level concept prevailed: as little actions on the runway as possible (to be done when entering the runway).

For me using TCAS = ON for crossing a runway is the smart choice, similar to displaying LS=ON briefly during line-up in LVP. May not be up to date on the latest print. The technical reasons for disallowing TCAS on the ground are not in conflict with its use for crossing the active.

2 side remarks done

fdr
16th Sep 2019, 20:47
... I don't understand why some airlines like to supersede Airbus SOP. If you don't see an aircraft with his strobe ON, something is terribly wrong. By the way the wing light is annoying for other traffic taxiing nearby. xD

You may be surprised how strobes can be missed, as they were on 24L at LAX to the detriment of the Metro and 737.

zondaracer
18th Sep 2019, 13:36
You may be surprised how strobes can be missed, as they were on 24L at LAX to the detriment of the Metro and 737.
At that time, SkyWest SOPs were to have strobes off until cleared for takeoff. After that accident, they changed the SOPs to have strobes on anytime they are on or crossing an active runway.