PDA

View Full Version : Takeoff Alternate

punkalouver
16th Aug 2019, 20:08
I have heard several pilots mention about letting ATC know of our having a takeoff alternate(perhaps via flightplan) or verbally. Is this really done or is it just something that we as pilots and our company need to know about.

Check Airman
16th Aug 2019, 20:26
Never heard of that being done in the US.

halfofrho
16th Aug 2019, 21:55
Nor UK/Europe

Johnny F@rt Pants
16th Aug 2019, 22:11
I have. You add it to your flight plan. Many years ago flying out of a northern English airport I filed Stansted as my take off alternate only to find that Stansted couldn’t accept us due to an incident they were dealing with. Good job I filed the take off alternate as had I not done so I’d have been blissfully unaware.

the_stranger
17th Aug 2019, 05:35
A takeoff alternate is a required item in the ATS flightplan if it is not possible to return to the departure airport.

So if weather deteriorates after filing the flightplan, a possible course of action is to adjust if verbally.

fox niner
17th Aug 2019, 07:51
Done all the time, as atc does not know what your alternates are. IF you are operating on a repettetive flightplan.

Check Airman
17th Aug 2019, 10:12
The times I've had to discuss a diversion, ATC seemed too busy to look up the destination alternate, let alone a takeoff alternate after just accepting an emergency aircraft.

27/09
17th Aug 2019, 11:46
Called a departure alternate in my part of the world. Not an uncommon occurrence. When departing in conditions which are below approach minima, a departure altenate must be nominated. It must be within one hour at OEI cruise speed.

Tomaski
17th Aug 2019, 12:47
The whole purpose of designating a takeoff alternate on the flight plan, if required by the conditions at the departure airport, is to 1) make sure you have a suitable diversion field available (i.e. check wx, notams, etc) in case of airborne emergency immediately after takeoff, and 2) provide ATC that information in case of a radio out situation so they know your intentions. Once you are airborne you are free to change up the plan in coordination with ATC.

FlightDetent
17th Aug 2019, 18:35
EU rules: If WX is such that return following an engine failure is impossible, nominating a tkof altn is mandatory. Within distance equivalent of 1 hr OEI CRZ speed in still air, standard landing minima figures apply, no need to degrade up one level.

This is the operator's rules, applicable to dispatch the A/C. No legal reasons to get ATC dragged into this, or put it into the flight plan. Only on the OFP it must be.

True or false?

gearlever
17th Aug 2019, 19:36
EU rules: If WX is such that return following an engine failure is impossible, nominating a tkof altn is mandatory. Within distance equivalent of 1 hr OEI CRZ speed in still air, standard landing minima figures apply, no need to degrade up one level.

This is the operator's rules, applicable to dispatch the A/C. No legal reasons to get ATC dragged into this, or put it into the flight plan. Only on the OFP it must be.

True or false?

Engine failure may be one reason....

For IFR flights, the pilot-in-command shall specify at least one weather-permissible take-off alternate aerodrome in the flight plan if the weather conditions at the aerodrome of departure are at or below the applicable aerodrome operating minima or it would not be possible to return to the aerodrome of departure for other reasons.

ertozka
9th Apr 2024, 06:40
A takeoff alternate is a required item in the ATS flightplan if it is not possible to return to the departure airport.

So if weather deteriorates after filing the flightplan, a possible course of action is to adjust if verbally.

Can you please specify a reference for this ? B