PDA

View Full Version : Teesside International Airport-1

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

mmeteesside
22nd Jun 2020, 20:45
mmeteeside - sorry if I'm being a bit thick - but are you saying that the MME-SOU flight numbers will be used for MME-LHR or are you saying that the MME-LCY is being a MME-LCY-SOU route ?
The slots applied for are using current SOU flight numbers (772x are MME-SOU route)... the mayor told me yesterday that SOU wasn’t resuming on 6 July despite being bookable on the Eastern site. LCY & NQY will.

Albert Hall
22nd Jun 2020, 21:15
So let me get this straight - they are planning to launch MME-LHR with no advance sales at three weeks notice with public money backing the losses and a big seat sale too?

Alteagod
22nd Jun 2020, 21:24
And why not, maybe they got there hands on old BE LHR slots somewhere and with covid going on who knows who is doing what from where with whatever

tigertanaka
22nd Jun 2020, 21:29
Not launching on the 6th. Mayor has confirmed.

Question is where would the slots come from. They are protected for the summer season but BA will have to lease some out if they don’t want to lose them. Domestic operators such as Eastern or Loganair are not really a threat and could give BA some feed.

Atlantic Explorer
23rd Jun 2020, 05:30
So they’re planning to launch a MME to LCY and LHR?! It’s not April the 1st is it?

AirportPlanner1
23rd Jun 2020, 05:44
If I’d said this time last year that Teesside would account for a high % of all new routes in the UK and Eastern were getting slots for a 3x daily service to Heathrow from anywhere you’d have had me locked up for my own protection

rog747
23rd Jun 2020, 06:55
Great, booked flights SOU-MME-SOU for July for a business meet in North Yorkshire, fares only £49 each way, whereas LBA is £100+ o/w
Go to hire a car at MME airport and all rental locations are closed by 18.30 when Eastern Airlines flights arrive - You really cannot make this up...... Huge fail again.

SWBKCB
23rd Jun 2020, 07:17
Huge fail again.

Maybe should have checked first given the level of traffic? Anyway, a read up the thread might be useful. Tickets for SOU maybe on sale but there has been no mention in any of the recent promotional activity from the airport (and the Mayor)

rog747
23rd Jun 2020, 07:27
Maybe should have checked first given the level of traffic? Anyway, I read up the thread might be useful. Tickets for SOU maybe on sale but there has been no mention in any of the recent promotional activity from the airport (and the Mayor)

I've canx'd all the flights now got my money back -
I now gather the actual SOU-MME service may not now operate anyway, so I would likely have been re protected on the Leeds or NCL services.

Anyway I think I back now again to using the car....

SWBKCB
23rd Jun 2020, 12:24
No smoke without fire? :suspect:

ANNA Aero - Teesside joins BLL and SNN as Ryanair webinar sponsor; (https://www.anna.aero/2020/06/23/teesside-joins-bll-and-snn-as-ryanair-webinar-sponsor-submit-your-questions-for-ryanair-now/)

P330
23rd Jun 2020, 13:19
Very interesting developments!

Do we know if SOU is off for good, or just not restarting yet?

Has the mayor said anything about Heathrow; can’t seem to find anything other than the spotter source? If this turns out to be true; I will have to eat a lot of humble pie! 😋

T4dan
23rd Jun 2020, 13:41
If you look on Easterns website southampton (like Cardiff) shows as going through Teesside - which it wasn’t before and wasn’t when I flew on this route just before lockdown, note sure if that’s a sign of what is happening?

davidjohnson6
23rd Jun 2020, 17:49
T4dan - would it be possible to rephrase what you were saying about Southampton/Cardiff going through Teesside ? I'm not 100% clear as to what exactly you mean....

PDXCWL45
23rd Jun 2020, 18:32
T4dan - would it be possible to rephrase what you were saying about Southampton/Cardiff going through Teesside ? I'm not 100% clear as to what exactly you mean....
I'm assuming he means Aberdeen as that is how CWLs Aberdeen operated. It stopped at Teesside. Well it did its no longer onsale as far as I can see.

P330
23rd Jun 2020, 18:32
An Aberdeen tag on you mean?

The Nutts Mutts
23rd Jun 2020, 18:47
I was under the impression that ABZ-SOU was via NCL, not MME. Wherever it stopped, it's definitely off sale now, at least for the dates I looked at in July and August. NCL-SOU and MME-SOU are still bookable though. All very confusing.

NorthEasterner
23rd Jun 2020, 22:09
According to Newcastle thread, it seems Eastern have pulled out the ABZ route. So would seem logical to route SOU-ABZ via MME instead of NCL.

mmeteesside
23rd Jun 2020, 23:29
According to Newcastle thread, it seems Eastern have pulled out the ABZ route. So would seem logical to route SOU-ABZ via MME instead of NCL.

Yes NCL-ABZ has been dropped before starting. SOU-ABZ will now be formed of linking SOU-MME and MME-ABZ together, from end of August when the full schedule kicks in.
This is all assuming the SOU-MME route survives the current LHR swap carry on.
Interestingly SOU-NCL & rtn is currently running with a ~4 hour sit at NCL (presumably where the ABZ leg would have been?), could be reinstated if SOU-MME is dropped?

something_diferent
26th Jun 2020, 09:34
AMS to restart on August 3rd with a single daily flight at first - also signed a 5 year extension on the route

On Teesside International website (can't post URL yet)

tigertanaka
26th Jun 2020, 09:37
New 5 year deal agreed with KLM. www.teessideinternational.com/teesside-airport-agrees-five-year-deal-with-klm-as-date-to-resume-amsterdam-flights-revealed/ (https://www.teessideinternational.com/teesside-airport-agrees-five-year-deal-with-klm-as-date-to-resume-amsterdam-flights-revealed/)

Also, Amsterdam flights resume on 3rd August.

Beat me to it something_diferent but I will leave the link in here

SWBKCB
26th Jun 2020, 10:25
What's happening with Stobart at the airport? They usually get included in such press releases, but haven't been for a while

N707ZS
26th Jun 2020, 10:34
Did the airport really need Stobart, the current management know all of the contacts and seem to have done most of the deals of recent. The mayor just pops up to claim the glory after everyone else has done the work, I suppose he produced the cash.

globetrotter79
26th Jun 2020, 11:51
Did the airport really need Stobart, the current management know all of the contacts and seem to have done most of the deals of recent. The mayor just pops up to claim the glory after everyone else has done the work, I suppose he produced the cash.

quite...very much doubt there’d be any flying if there was no cash

10 DME ARC
26th Jun 2020, 13:41
Makes you wonder if the cash will keep coming with councils around the country worried about going bankrupt!

davidjohnson6
26th Jun 2020, 13:50
Can someone tell me if the number 12 bus between the airport (almost) and Darlington is running or has it been suspended because of Covid ? Am thinking of buying a ticket between MME and London on the first day...

P330
26th Jun 2020, 14:00
So, the Eastern thread appears to confirm that they didn’t get slots for a LHR route. My humble pie can go back in the fridge....

SWBKCB
26th Jun 2020, 14:44
Depends when those slot allocations were submitted. If pre-COVID, could now be a different picture.

Cautious Optimist
26th Jun 2020, 14:46
Kudos to them for trying

mmeteesside
26th Jun 2020, 15:25
I believe (could be wrong) that the slots applied for the summer season were to come out of BA's portfolio, former Flybe slots held for domestic routes until recently. Just because Eastern weren't awarded any of their own doesn't mean it won't happen. As it turns out if it was to start it's probably not going to be on 6th July as that would be far too soon.
Oddly there's still been no mention of the Southampton route starting which is still bookable as I post this.
Good news on Amsterdam returning, even though we all knew it was bookable from 3rd August anyway.

stewyb
26th Jun 2020, 15:28
I believe (could be wrong) that the slots applied for the summer season were to come out of BA's portfolio, former Flybe slots held for domestic routes until recently. Just because Eastern weren't awarded any of their own doesn't mean it won't happen. As it turns out it's probably not going to be starting as advertised on 6th July. Oddly there's been no mention of the Southampton route starting which is still bookable as I post this.

All slightly confusing as Eastern had announced SOU - DUB to start 23/07 but this is still not bookable and no mention on social media for weeks!

SWBKCB
26th Jun 2020, 15:52
Oddly there's still been no mention of the Southampton route starting which is still bookable as I post this.

Yes - still bookable and at the low prices mentioned in the 10,000 seat sale, but not mentioned in any of the publicity or recent press releases.

Also, 10,000 seats is about what KLM carry to AMS in a normal month. That's an awful lot of Jetstreams...

highwideandugly
26th Jun 2020, 18:15
I just wonder what the actual landing fees would be for Eastern at Heathrow if successful..does this cost come out of the pot or do Eastern cover that?

N707ZS
26th Jun 2020, 18:23
Makes you wonder if the cash will keep coming with councils around the country worried about going bankrupt!
Its not local council money its the mayors spending pot direct from central government.

SWBKCB
26th Jun 2020, 18:31
does this cost come out of the pot or do Eastern cover that?

What do you think??

Its not local council money its the mayors spending pot direct from central government.

Yes, the mayor has made it clear that funding for the airport comes from central taxes and won't have an impact on local council taxes. That's not to say that "in these difficult times" priorities can't change, but he has said again today that investment "won’t come on a bus, it will come through our airport terminal."

davidjohnson6
1st Jul 2020, 17:51
My understanding is that the most important route being launched out of MME as part of its revival is the one to London City. I know that Covid has slashed demand, but it's now Wednesday evening and for a business-centric route that opens on Monday, I would have expected fares to start to be higher than the entry level by now - or at the very least something saying "only 2 tickets available at this fare". I hope that everything works out ok, but am wondering if, given that July/August are always quiet for business travel, the MME relaunch should have been maybe delayed to September
Before anyone accuses me of being a party-pooper, I've bought a ticket for the route...

mmeteesside
1st Jul 2020, 18:18
My understanding is that the most important route being launched out of MME as part of its revival is the one to London City. I know that Covid has slashed demand, but it's now Wednesday evening and for a business-centric route that opens on Monday, I would have expected fares to start to be higher than the entry level by now - or at the very least something saying "only 2 tickets available at this fare". I hope that everything works out ok, but am wondering if, given that July/August are always quiet for business travel, the MME relaunch should have been maybe delayed to September
Before anyone accuses me of being a party-pooper, I've bought a ticket for the route...
I noticed looking earlier it's been reduced to once a day for next week too.

Flying Hi
1st Jul 2020, 18:18
Look forward to a Flight Report.:ok:

SWBKCB
1st Jul 2020, 18:27
DJ6 - couple of points - just wondering why you think LCY is the most important of the new routes, and do you think normal commercial considerations apply to these routes for the next 12 months?

davidjohnson6
1st Jul 2020, 19:41
Teesside has been having a hard time economically compared to the rest of the UK since the recession of 2009. If any of the new routes is going to lead to investment in the region and future jobs, it's a route to London. If a London route doesn't work, we're looking at housebuilding in 5 years time...
Should normal commercial considerations apply immediately post pandemic ? No, but each route has to go some way towards earning its keep...

SWBKCB
2nd Jul 2020, 05:51
Should normal commercial considerations apply immediately post pandemic ? No, but each route has to go some way towards earning its keep...

See post #534 - investment "won’t come on a bus, it will come through our airport terminal."

The MME project isn't about airlines making profits - it's about promoting the region and facilitating investment, so fare levels and passenger numbers are irrelevant for the time being. It could just take one passenger on one flight for the project to pay off, so I doubt whether many backward steps will be taken before next years election. I don't think Eastern are carrying much commercial risk.

mmeteesside
2nd Jul 2020, 18:54
Southampton has finally been removed from sale for next week... restart date moved back to 31 August as it stands.
London City reduced to 4 flights next week though seems to return to normal summer 8x week from 13th.
Balkan Holidays summer program now completely cancelled as the rest of the UK airports, while the Jersey short season will now start on 1 August.

mmeteesside
6th Jul 2020, 08:35
So the first flight to London City has left this morning with 14 onboard (though apparently 19 booked on). Next up is the Newquay which also starts today.

fjencl
6th Jul 2020, 09:53
What aircraft types are operating the routes

davidjohnson6
6th Jul 2020, 10:11
Saab 2000
9 flew from London to MME this morning

SWBKCB
6th Jul 2020, 10:34
What aircraft types are operating the routes

Saab 2000 on LCY and J.41 on NQY

N707ZS
6th Jul 2020, 11:18
Was going to question the use of an all white Saab 2000 but on investigation they only have one Saab 2000 at the moment.

mmeteesside
6th Jul 2020, 12:14
Was going to question the use of an all white Saab 2000 but on investigation they only have one Saab 2000 at the moment.
Arguably CDKA is still part of the fleet but due to go off lease on Thursday (according to Jethros). That too is all white, though.

N707ZS
6th Jul 2020, 13:35
Arguably CDKA is still part of the fleet but due to go off lease on Thursday (according to Jethros). That too is all white, though.
Apologies missed the small print, only Saab 2000 by Thursday. Which other aircraft in the fleet could operate to London City.

allan1987
6th Jul 2020, 13:49
Apologies missed the small print, only Saab 2000 by Thursday. Which other aircraft in the fleet could operate to London City.

the Embraer 170 can fly in to London City

BA318
6th Jul 2020, 14:18

The J41 can too. Eastern operated it on a short lived Newcastle-LCY route in the past.

Atlantic Explorer
6th Jul 2020, 14:28
The J41 can too. Eastern operated it on a short lived Newcastle-LCY route in the past.

Yes, but none of the crews are trained.

Apparently quite a few MPs on the flight today, sounded like a prearranged PR exercise on launch day. Be interesting to see the numbers in a couple of weeks time. I suspect there will be a lot of money being pumped into this route to keep it flying for the foreseeable.

davidjohnson6
6th Jul 2020, 15:50
MME to LCY had about 8 people in casual clothing and about 6 suits. I thought the 6 might have been people working for private sector companies and travelling for work - ie target group for an early morning flight to London City - but seems not
It looked like there was some kind of photo-op on arrival at London City for the suits (people in casual clothing weren't in the photo ceremony)

SWBKCB
6th Jul 2020, 15:59
Five local MP's - Peter Gibson, Paul Howell, Jacob Young, Matt Vickers and Dehenna Davison (at least one not in a suit!)

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/first-flight-london-teesside-airport-18547745

N707ZS
6th Jul 2020, 17:24
Dehenna looks okay without the suit.

No-More-Bullschit
6th Jul 2020, 17:36
Save Teesside Airport gave me a laugh this morning, made it seem like their campaigning had led to this moment, how arrogant!

P330
6th Jul 2020, 19:59
Are the Palma flights still going ahead this season?

SWBKCB
6th Jul 2020, 20:16
Not seen anything to say they won't be - still on sale.

mmeteesside
6th Jul 2020, 20:19
Are the Palma flights still going ahead this season?
Seems to be on sale with a delayed start from 9th August.
Alicante now delayed to 14th August too

toon22
6th Jul 2020, 21:55
15 flew on the first Newquay flight.
if they were all fare-paying, >50% load in these times is not at all bad.

P330
8th Jul 2020, 10:36
Any update on loads this week?

Aberdeen and Belfast too?

mmeteesside
8th Jul 2020, 23:38
Any update on loads this week?

Aberdeen and Belfast too?
Not seen anything mentioned anywhere. Several of the Aberdeen flights next week are in the second fare band, and with small amounts of seats left on them too. If you play around with the Eastern site you can work out how many seats are available at what fare but the cheapest level generally seems to be 6 on ABZ and 10 on everything else. Some LCY flights are in band 2 also.
Incidentally yesterday’s southbound LCY was used as a charter for Middlesbrough FC as was today’s northbound which is why they couldn’t be booked. Photos on the Airport FB of them leaving yesterday.

N707ZS
9th Jul 2020, 06:45
Incidentally yesterday’s southbound LCY was used as a charter for Middlesbrough FC as was today’s northbound which is why they couldn’t be booked. Photos on the Airport FB of them leaving yesterday.
Game was yesterday afternoon and they actually won and didn't get a 5,0 thrashing like Newcastle.

mmeteesside
9th Jul 2020, 08:44
Game was yesterday afternoon and they actually won and didn't get a 5,0 thrashing like Newcastle.
Forgot it was after midnight when I posted 😅 Tuesdays southbound and Wednesdays northbound

highwideandugly
9th Jul 2020, 10:13
So no fare paying passengers able to use those flights?

Good for Eastern I suppose ,but not for Joe “ business” man public?

N707ZS
9th Jul 2020, 12:04
Good for Eastern I suppose ,but not for Joe “ business” man public?
If Joe knew the flight existed he and the public might just book, the plane hasn't even got the company name on so all the launch publicity looses a fair percentage. Is it against the lease to place a sticker down the fuselage.

SWBKCB
9th Jul 2020, 12:07
Who needs a sticker on the a/c when you've got Ben for publicity? Would that really make a difference?

JKKne
9th Jul 2020, 13:16
Who needs a sticker on the a/c when you've got Ben for publicity? Would that really make a difference?

I reckon they're more interested in Ben's wallet

N707ZS
9th Jul 2020, 14:12
He's just ME ME. A sticker works. Easy jet training was seen by a large number on Teesside were as a white plane with a red tail is nothing.

mmeteesside
9th Jul 2020, 15:41
He's just ME ME. A sticker works. Easy jet training was seen by a large number on Teesside were as a white plane with a red tail is nothing.
There was mention on here of CDKB coming back from Orebro after a C check. This one is fully branded so perhaps would be the 'full time' aircraft? KA was meant to go to Orebro today but hasn't as far as I can tell. EB is currently the only active one.

mmeman
10th Jul 2020, 23:02
London City looks to be a single daily flight until 31st August - Monday and Tuesday morning flight, Wednesday to Friday afternoon flight.

allan1987
11th Jul 2020, 00:13
There was mention on here of CDKB coming back from Orebro after a C check. This one is fully branded so perhaps would be the 'full time' aircraft? KA was meant to go to Orebro today but hasn't as far as I can tell. EB is currently the only active one.

There is mention on here that the Saab 2000 is being phased out and being replaced with more ATR's. Sadly there are not many Saab 2000 as passenger planes left

mmeteesside
12th Jul 2020, 11:16
Eastern are starting to load the winter schedule, but not much is on sale from Teesside yet. Good news that Newquay has been kept and will run twice weekly to the current schedule right throughout the winter season. Must have started reasonably well. Belfast is the only other route on sale a trip present, which stays 6x weekly. London City is increasing to twice daily from 7th September. Dublin confirmed to start on 28th August, and Alicante on 14th August but only 5 dates on sale. Eastern have confirmed a 2021 schedule will be confirmed shortly. Jersey appears to be on sale from the start of September only running for 3 weeks...

SWBKCB
15th Jul 2020, 10:32
FLIGHTS to Alicante, Spain, will be taking off this summer for the first time in nine years, Teesside Airport has announced - and they go on sale today.

Weekly return flights, run by Eastern Airways, will be taking off on Friday August 14 through until September 7, meaning that holidaymakers can once again get some summer sun from their local airport following the lifting of certain travel restrictions due to the coronavirus (https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/coronavirus/) pandemic

Old news surely?

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18583652.summer-holidays-flights-teesside-alicante-spain-announced-sale-now/

mmeteesside
15th Jul 2020, 12:14
Old news surely?

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18583652.summer-holidays-flights-teesside-alicante-spain-announced-sale-now/
Just confirming the restart date - and a bit of free PR after all. Nothing wrong with that.
As to whether it'll be successful with only 4 weeks of departures who knows... fares have been dropped to start at £69.99 each way too I notice, which is less than what they were selling for last week. It'll be interesting to see whether they are successful and lead to a wider program next year.

mmeteesside
15th Jul 2020, 13:49
Saab 2000 been added to this weekends Newquay departures on Friday & Monday to provide extra capacity according to the Airport facebook (& backed up by Eastern's site). Due to strong bookings, which is a good sign. This weekend is of course the start of the school holidays. The other one (CDKA) has just arrived from Aberdeen.

SWBKCB
16th Jul 2020, 05:22
Drive-in concerts which were due to take place at Teesside Airport have been cancelled following "concerns" over local coronavirus lockdowns.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/teesside-airport-drive-shows-cancelled-18603763

mmeman
18th Jul 2020, 11:02
Teesside was the 14th busiest airport in the country based on movements in May! :}

Get me some traffic
19th Jul 2020, 20:19
In the mid noughties, with nearly 1m pax we were the thirteenth. We've slipped a bit!!

P330
28th Jul 2020, 07:41
I wonder if the latest quarantine news essentially means no Alicante or Palma for the remainder of this short season?

Horrendous times for holiday companies, tourists and airports to plan anything....

mmeteesside
28th Jul 2020, 08:26
I wonder if the latest quarantine news essentially means no Alicante or Palma for the remainder of this short season?

Horrendous times for holiday companies, tourists and airports to plan anything....
I would think that will be the end of both for this year unfortunately, just like Bourgas was also blanket cancelled eventually.

P330
30th Jul 2020, 17:45
Alicante now cancelled for this season, per Eastern.

N707ZS
30th Jul 2020, 17:49
Airport had its first ever flight from/to Abuja this week flown by a Hawker 4000, must have been some major buisness.

SWBKCB
30th Jul 2020, 18:22
A joint statement issued on behalf of Teesside International Airport and Eastern Airways tonight said: “We are very disappointed to announce that this year’s Alicante summer service will be cancelled due to the ongoing impact the coronavirus is having on the airline and holiday industry and the introduction of a quarantine for those travellers returning from Spain. We have listened to the feedback from customers and their wellbeing and safety is always our number one priority. To ensure this we will always follow Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice. All customers will be contacted and a full refund will be offered. We would like to thank our customers for their understanding during this challenging time for us all and we are currently working on an expanded Mediterranean service for summer 2021."

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18618659.teesside-airport-alicante-summer-service-cancelled-due-covid-19-crisis/

P330
31st Jul 2020, 11:13
Looks like a patchy re-start from KLM.

Barely once a day during August and come early September, still only once a day; so the re-start plans look to be not as robust as previously billed.

SWBKCB
31st Jul 2020, 11:39

Barely once a day during August and come early September, still only once a day; so the re-start plans look to be not as robust as previously billed.

Don't think is has ever been quoted as being more than one a day to start with and then more as demand develops? Re-start is patchy everywhere.

SWBKCB
31st Jul 2020, 11:46
Cornwall Airport Newquay will now run all year round and the three-times-a-week Dublin flights will launch on September 25.Teesside International has also revealed Eastern Airways’ daily Monday to Friday flights to Southampton for the hugely popular cruise market will begin on September 7.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18620166.middlesbrough-fc-boss-backs-teesside-airport/

apaul
31st Jul 2020, 12:05
'Hugely popular cruise market.' Someone's been asleep for the last 6 months.

P330
31st Jul 2020, 12:25
Don't think is has ever been quoted as being more than one a day to start with and then more as demand develops? Re-start is patchy everywhere.

It was slated to be twice a day from the 3rd August ramping up to 3 times a day from September; so definitely a slower start than has been billed for the last few weeks.

Agree; it’s the same everywhere. Newcastle now 3 times daily from Sept (was to be 4) with the 6am out downgraded to a 190.

SWBKCB
31st Jul 2020, 12:25

Also not really "on message" with the mayors regional connectivity focus, unless major inward investment deals regularly get brokered in cruise ship dining rooms.

toon22
31st Jul 2020, 13:41
The Newquay flight was upgraded again today to the Saab. That route seems to be doing really well although I suppose we could have seen that as it’s now going year – around. With no Newcastle – Newquay flight it would be interesting to see where passengers are originating.

highwideandugly
31st Jul 2020, 14:59
Originating? My 3 friends from Wylam Northumberland!😀

mmeteesside
1st Aug 2020, 11:40
The Newquay flight was upgraded again today to the Saab. That route seems to be doing really well although I suppose we could have seen that as it’s now going year – around. With no Newcastle – Newquay flight it would be interesting to see where passengers are originating.
It's just a case of swapping the Saab between the Belfast & Newquay flight as the J41 does the opposite flight. Good to hear it's proving popular!

Amsterdam is back once a day from Monday, I think it was due to increase to two a day from mid September, returning to the usual 3 daily from October winter timetable change. I wouldn't be surprised if demand is lower than expected for European travel.

Cautious Optimist
1st Aug 2020, 14:14
What do you expect them to say? "We're re-starting the flights in the hope that the luke warm cruise market might deliver something"?

The cruise market must only represent a small portion of the target audience because otherwise it would never have been a twice daily flight.

SWBKCB
1st Aug 2020, 14:21
The cruise market must only represent a small portion of the target audience

So why mention the cruise market at all and hold yourself up to ridicule?

Why not say we are launching another route to a key business area, helping industry get back on its feet? This after all is the reason for investing taxpayers money into the airport, not to make foreign holidays more convenient.

highwideandugly
1st Aug 2020, 16:16
Good points SWBKCB..however as we all know PR. Works in funny old ways..especially now!

The Mayors plans ,through no fault of his own ,have Now gone out of the window. The dreams of only 9/12 months ago are nightmares now?

So ,he had 20 million to use, to get the airport up to higher desired levels...this Is now a financial disaster as it must be costing a fortune ,regaining the airports hours and staffing?
That money as was always the case could have been better utilised on local transport infrastructures?

There is no doubt all routes are being helped along the way with financial backing..probably keeping airlines like Eastern afloat!

Airport wont survive on Cruise bookings to Southampton..eh! no cruises guys.
It won’t survive on holidays to Newquay and Cornwall
And the core routes of Amsterdam and Aberdeen are stuttering.

Of course it’s not just here...the majority of UK airports are in the same boat.

Vaccine anyone? 🤞

davidjohnson6
1st Aug 2020, 16:36
Starting a route from MME to LCY at the beginning of July was less than brilliant. This route was always going to be business targetted - Eastern with puddle jumpers can't possibly have the economy of scale that comes with a 737 - leisure travellers would likely stick with the train against high fares. Corporate offices began emptying out in March and Zoom has taken over from business travel. Even if there had not been a pandemic, a business-centric route always sees low demand in July/August with people on holiday.

The London City route has to generate respectable numbers of business travellers in September and October. If not, it's a waste of subsidy

Cautious Optimist
1st Aug 2020, 18:03
David Johnson you make good points the only thing I would say is the fares are not high

davidjohnson6
1st Aug 2020, 18:28
Cautious Optimist - I agree the fares are not high (I flew one way for less than £50 !) but Eastern must be burning through large quantities of subsidy cash if they need to sell seats at fares comparable with 2nd class advance booked train fares to get a non trivial load factor. I can only guess that prices are this low because there is a desperate need to show something productive is being achieved.

One should be seeing a material difference in price when booking 2 days in advance... with separation of those who value time versus price. If that can't be achieved in the autumn, it shows there just aren't enough people to need the air route to LCY

SWBKCB
1st Aug 2020, 18:57
Cautious Optimist - I agree the fares are not high (I flew one way for less than £50 !) but Eastern must be burning through large quantities of subsidy cash if they need to sell seats at fares comparable with 2nd class advance booked train fares to get a non trivial load factor. I can only guess that prices are this low because there is a desperate need to show something productive is being achieved.

One should be seeing a material difference in price when booking 2 days in advance... with separation of those who value time versus price. If that can't be achieved in the autumn, it shows there just aren't enough people to need the air route to LCY

Hmmm - I refer you back to my post #540

toon22
2nd Aug 2020, 19:07
On a brighter note, Newquay is getting a Wednesday flight until 16/9. The fares, up to £182 o/w for the coming week show they may have found a little gem down at the seaside.

mmeteesside
3rd Aug 2020, 06:02
On a brighter note, Newquay is getting a Wednesday flight until 16/9. The fares, up to £182 o/w for the coming week show they may have found a little gem down at the seaside.
Certainly seems to be doing well, and a 3rd weekly flight albeit covering a few high demand weeks is great news.
LCY meanwhile seems to be struggling with the Wed flight dropped for the next few weeks. Probably not too unexpected, I wonder if there is a few other little gems like Newquay that could be pulled out of the bag.

nighthawk117
3rd Aug 2020, 08:09
Certainly seems to be doing well, and a 3rd weekly flight albeit covering a few high demand weeks is great news.
LCY meanwhile seems to be struggling with the Wed flight dropped for the next few weeks. Probably not too unexpected, I wonder if there is a few other little gems like Newquay that could be pulled out of the bag.

Newquay will be popular right now with people wanting to avoid travelling abroad. Let's see how it does once coronavirus is under control and people gain more confidence in going abroad.

tigertanaka
3rd Aug 2020, 14:06

I don't think we should expect LCY to begin to do any decent numbers until September. Whilst all international travel is still banned in my company, no-one seems interested in travelling domestically either right now and September seems to be the "mental restart" for normal business (when people are back after holidays/kids are back at school).

Hard to see what other domestic routes could do well. JER has been ambling on at around 2,500 pax a year recently (good loads on the Dash-8 which were only really bookable with a package deal) but could surely do more with extra capacity and if direct bookings were allowed. The route actually did 22k in 2006!

SWBKCB
3rd Aug 2020, 14:20
I don't think we should expect LCY to begin to do any decent numbers until September. Whilst all international travel is still banned in my company, no-one seems interested in travelling domestically either right now and September seems to be the "mental restart" for normal business (when people are back after holidays/kids are back at school).

In my organisation, apart from some mandatory customer visits, we aren't expecting to be doing any travel or overnight stays for the rest of this financial year - the reductions have already gone into other budget areas.

P330
4th Aug 2020, 16:03

Latest news is once a day from now until 27/9.

Increase to twice a day from 28/9 to 25/10.

Three flights a day from 26/10.

Wycombe
4th Aug 2020, 17:25
Newquay will be popular right now with people wanting to avoid travelling abroad

I'm on staycation in St Ives currently and very busy here - lots of northern accents about, but a lot less Germans than normal here at this time of year.

No-More-Bullschit
4th Aug 2020, 18:31
It was very briefly reported on social media earlier that Heathrow is being announced tomorrow by Eastern Airways, very quickly got taken down though so make of it what you will.

something_diferent
4th Aug 2020, 18:36
It was very briefly reported on social media earlier that Heathrow is being announced tomorrow by Eastern Airways, very quickly got taken down though so make of it what you will.

Would imagine just rumours after the mayor posted about some kind of announcement at 10am tomorrow.

JSCL
4th Aug 2020, 19:12
Didn’t Eastern get kicked back in the most recent slot allocation? Unless something has changed?

BA318
4th Aug 2020, 19:13
Would imagine just rumours after the mayor posted about some kind of announcement at 10am tomorrow.

was reported a few weeks back on social media. Daily E170 around lunchtime was what was reported. I guess we’ll find out if it’s true.

highwideandugly
4th Aug 2020, 19:19
I think the news is the charvas are having to pay a 20p deposit on the scooters.Aim is to stop them using the A19 to commute between raves?

Another waste of the mayors money!

Albert Hall
4th Aug 2020, 19:34
They certainly have some slots at Heathrow but nothing on which you could mount a long-term service. The slots have been allocated without grandfather rights attached.

globetrotter79
4th Aug 2020, 20:27
They certainly have some slots at Heathrow but nothing on which you could mount a long-term service. The slots have been allocated without grandfather rights attached.

long enough for the mayor to get re-elected perhaps?

SWBKCB
5th Aug 2020, 09:05
Eastern to LHR just announced on FB

SeanM1997
5th Aug 2020, 09:30
Eastern Airways - Teesside to London Heathrow begins 14 September 2020 (up to 7x weekly flights)

https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1290937241796255746

P330
5th Aug 2020, 09:32
A nod to the old BMI flight numbers I see...

P330
5th Aug 2020, 09:56
Looks like this is in addition to LCY.

From what I can gather, LCY won’t run on Wednesday’s for the rest of August but then goes double daily from September on the S2000.

LHR is daily on the E70.

Wonder if codeshares for connections are allowed.

JKKne
5th Aug 2020, 10:03
Considering the current state of the economy, exactly how blank is the Mayor's chequebook?!

SWBKCB
5th Aug 2020, 10:08
The airports website says:

In just over an hour you can be arriving at UK’s biggest airport offering you access to more than 180 locations in 84 countries across the world.

No mention of any codeshares as yet, but there doesn't seem to be a full press release out, just what was said at the announcement. Does anybody know how handy the timings are for connections?

P330
5th Aug 2020, 10:18

No mention of any codeshares as yet, but there doesn't seem to be a full press release out, just what was said at the announcement. Does anybody know how handy the timings are for connections?

Keen to see this as a frequent flyer. Looking at those timings, it’s going to be pretty limiting for transatlantic as most of these head out in the morning and early afternoon, so too late for all but the Saturday flight. Heading east though could be more interesting but of course it all depends who they partner with.

allan1987
5th Aug 2020, 10:32

Very interesting might be codeshare with IAG?

VentureGo
5th Aug 2020, 10:52
Very interesting might be codeshare with IAG?

Eastern will be flying into Terminal 2 which serves predominantly Star Alliance and Emirates.

IAG and Oneworld Alliance (Mainly BA, AA and IB) use T5 with some flights from Oneworld operating from T3 ( American Airlines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines), Cathay Pacific (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Pacific), Finnair (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnair), Japan Airlines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines), Qantas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas), Royal Jordanian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Jordanian), and SriLankan Airlines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SriLankan_Airlines). and T4 (.Malaysia Airlines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines), Royal Air Maroc (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Maroc) and Qatar Airways (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_Airways) - (ref. wiki)

highwideandugly
5th Aug 2020, 11:05
With KLM not rushing back..wonder if they may consider revising schedules now they have major competition?

allan1987
5th Aug 2020, 11:10
Eastern will ge flying into Terminal 2 which serves predominantly Star Alliance and Emirates.

IAG and Oneworld Alliance (Mainly BA, AA and IB) use T5 with some flights from Oneworld operating from T3 ( American Airlines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines), Cathay Pacific (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_Pacific), Finnair (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnair), Japan Airlines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines), Qantas (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas), Royal Jordanian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Jordanian), and SriLankan Airlines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SriLankan_Airlines). and T4 (.Malaysia Airlines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines), Royal Air Maroc (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Maroc) and Qatar Airways (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_Airways) - (ref. wiki)

Yes that true that OneWorld uses T5 and few flights from T3. Although Aer Lingus uses T2
​​​​​​

euromanxdude
5th Aug 2020, 11:31
T2 ( apart from T5) is only one that has a domestic arrival channel right?

davidjohnson6
5th Aug 2020, 11:42
Have Eastern signed (or do they intend to sign) any sort of cooperation agreement with either IAG or some of the Star Alliance carriers ? Without this, I would be rather dubious about the chance of Heathrow working

JSCL
5th Aug 2020, 11:47
Have Eastern signed (or do they intend to sign) any sort of cooperation agreement with either IAG or some of the Star Alliance carriers ? Without this, I would be rather dubious about the chance of Heathrow working
But in the modern world of how things work, more and more people are using online aggregators and booking separate tickets. It’s not helpful, but hardly a huge issue for Eastern here.

SWBKCB
5th Aug 2020, 12:06
But in the modern world of how things work, more and more people are using online aggregators and booking separate tickets. It’s not helpful, but hardly a huge issue for Eastern here.

But the business case for the Mayors investment is global connectivity, so encouraging inward investment and making it easier for local businesses to export. Making it easier for local people to get away should be a bonus and not a primary concern. I would expect business travellers to be looking for good connections and alliance benefits (like KLM offer), rather than going for self-connections.

An alternative local perspective:Mr Houchen had been set to fight an election in May, which was postponed due to the covid-19 crisis. Labour’s candidate Jessie Joe Jacobs, who will face the incumbent at the ballot box in 2021, has responded to the Heathrow announcement.

She said: “A new flight from our airport would ordinarily be great news but we are in the middle of a global crisis. That crisis has seen the number of people flying collapse with airlines going bankrupt and airports closing. The Mayor needs to be up front with people about the cost of all of this. He’s spent £100m on the airport and that’s rising. The cost per passenger is huge. I’ve been speaking to a number of local people and honestly to those that can’t get a bus off their estate or out of their village, they’re more angry than excited at the amount of their money being spent on securing a flight to London at a time when flying doesn’t feel like a priority. Politics is about priorities and people across the Tees Valley are left with third rate transport systems while a small minority receive a huge subsidy to fly to London.”

And yes, "she would say that wouldn't she", but gives some context for recent developments. The mayor is certainly being bold, and would counter that a time of crisis is exactly when the region should be taking these opportunities (would they have go the route 12 months ago?) and looking to get out and do business.

lfc84
5th Aug 2020, 13:52
T2 ( apart from T5) is only one that has a domestic arrival channel right?

​​​​​​​That is correct

ATNotts
5th Aug 2020, 14:09
I'm on staycation in St Ives currently and very busy here - lots of northern accents about, but a lot less Germans than normal here at this time of year.

Plenty of free sun loungers then!!!!

CabinCrewe
5th Aug 2020, 14:25
is there some sort of discount for smaller aircraft at LHR, otherwise will they not get murdered on landing fees?
An IAG codeshare or through agreement would be some sort of saving grace - you have to think they’ve at least considered it.

SWBKCB
5th Aug 2020, 14:48
is there some sort of discount for smaller aircraft at LHR, otherwise will they not get murdered on landing fees?

While they are operating well under capacity this is a gift for LHR - helping regional connectivity, getting the country back on its feet and giving a Tory party rising star a helping hand. If it had been a choice between this and another BA JFK rotation or a new Chinese destination, but not nowadays...

An IAG codeshare or through agreement would be some sort of saving grace - you have to think they’ve at least considered it.

If there had been any sort of agreement, I think they'd have been shouting from the roof-tops.

LTNman
5th Aug 2020, 15:58
Wonder what the landing fee and handling charge is?

Alteagod
5th Aug 2020, 16:45
Im sure industry wide revised lower rates are in play. It would be astounding if Eastern are paying pre covid handling and landing fees or any fees in any airport including LHR.

highwideandugly
5th Aug 2020, 17:08
Eastern aren’t paying the fees..lthe mayor is!

GrahamK
5th Aug 2020, 19:07
When was the last time a J41 went into LHR? :E
*In case one subs for the E-Jet

Albert Hall
5th Aug 2020, 20:08
You have to wonder how deep the Mayor's pockets are. His opponent has a fair point.

They have no slots for this winter at LHR and running an E170 into LHR is a very expensive exercise as the noise margin means that it's charged more for landing than an A320. It could be a very expensive flash in the pan.

Atlantic Explorer
5th Aug 2020, 20:13
I’m really struggling to see where the demand to London (LHR and LCY) from the MME area is all of a sudden, especially during the current climate.

Fletch
5th Aug 2020, 20:18
When was the last time a J41 went into LHR? :E
*In case one subs for the E-Jet

Not sure if it was the last time, but there was one there for sure in 2009. I believe J32 have operated there too.

Getting in is less of an issue than getting out from memory.

tigertanaka
5th Aug 2020, 20:19
You have to wonder how deep the Mayor's pockets are. His opponent has a fair point.

They have no slots for this winter at LHR and running an E170 into LHR is a very expensive exercise as the noise margin means that it's charged more for landing than an A320. It could be a very expensive flash in the pan.

Given that the booking horizon for MME-LHR goes up to 27 March 2021 (end of the IATA Winter season), where have the slots come from? The didn't get any out of the slot pool so presumably they have leased them off somebody.

SWBKCB
5th Aug 2020, 20:51
Leasing slots? expensive charges? For the coming winter season at least, isn't this all old world thinking? As I said earlier - LHR will be happy for this route to run until they get back up to near capacity.

I’m really struggling to see where the demand to London (LHR and LCY) from the MME area is all of a sudden, especially during the current climate.

Don't forget that LHR was a successful route for BMA for many years, and LBA-LHR has now disappeared. Might well be that it was the supply that was missing, and not the demand (for LHR at least!)

CabinCrewe
5th Aug 2020, 21:44
Not sure the timings will suit anyone except perhaps a leisure/late connecting passenger

mmeman
5th Aug 2020, 22:52
The way the Mayor was talking the Heathrow route was an 'opportunity' that arose so they took advantage of it - some great footage on Look North of a BMA Viscount when the Heathrow service first commenced in 1969.

Also some interesting analysis on Anna.Aero of the Teesside to Amsterdam market - best load factor in a few years last year at 75%, and some information on where the transfer traffic goes, with Alicante as the biggest transfer destination with Heathrow second!

highwideandugly
6th Aug 2020, 07:13
Heathrow second ? I know a few posts on here in the past alluded to that journey! I can’t believe many high flying businessmen(if they still exist after all this) would use that elongated time wasting route when a train will get them there in a couple of hours? Plus now a direct flight.
Alicante first? So the two main transfer routes through KLM and Amsterdam potentially effected? Hence my thoughts on a possible permanent reduction by KLM once these two are up and running from TIA?

I know Newcastle were wary of other airlines introducing new routes in case it affected existing ones? It’s generally a small market in the NE and at the moment,a shrinking one?

Strange times ahead.

P330
6th Aug 2020, 08:48
Were people really flying Teesside to Heathrow via Amsterdam en masse? I’m shocked if true.

Similarly Alicante to be honest as I didn’t think KLM flew there unless the transfer was onwards with Transavia or another alirline.

tigertanaka
6th Aug 2020, 09:38
Were people really flying Teesside to Heathrow via Amsterdam en masse? I’m shocked if true.

Similarly Alicante to be honest as I didn’t think KLM flew there unless the transfer was onwards with Transavia or another alirline.

Yes, you can go MME-AMS-ALC one one ticket using KLM & Transavia. Connections are not always great though.

Agree on the MME-AMS-LHR traffic, but what staggered me was 1,544 passengers a year to Atyrau in Khazakstan!

P330
6th Aug 2020, 10:03
Yes, you can go MME-AMS-ALC one one ticket using KLM & Transavia. Connections are not always great though.

Agree on the MME-AMS-LHR traffic, but what staggered me was 1,544 passengers a year to Atyrau in Khazakstan!

Now, Kazakhstan doesn’t surprise me as that is big oil and gas territory and the KLM route is often dominated by workers heading somewhere like that for their 3 week stint.

Is it possible to see that top 20 final destinations of the Amsterdam passengers?

SWBKCB
6th Aug 2020, 10:05

I thought the story as to why KLM had stuck around through thick and thin was because they picked up a lot of high-value business travel linked to the petro-chemical industry. I don't think a 75% load factor on the smallest a/c in the fleet is that great, but if the front of the a/c is making big bucks who cares if the back is full of Sky Team members using miles to fly to LHR and ALC....

mmeteesside
6th Aug 2020, 10:40
Decent numbers travelling around the North Sea destinations including Copenhagen (2685), Stavanger (1697), Billund (1690), Bergen (1490) among other places too. Perhaps shows where the strengths lie in this areas skill base...

Aksai Oiler
6th Aug 2020, 11:52
I thought the story as to why KLM had stuck around through thick and thin was because they picked up a lot of high-value business travel linked to the petro-chemical industry. I don't think a 75% load factor on the smallest a/c in the fleet is that great, but if the front of the a/c is making big bucks who cares if the back is full of Sky Team members using miles to fly to LHR and ALC....

The days of oilfield folks working 3 weeks have long gone, as well as travelling up front.

KL has an interline agreement with Air Astana (KC), for their 5 x Week AMS-GUW flight. I have flown in the KC flight many times, it’s usually half full, but the tickets are three times the price of flying LHR-TSE and then onto GUW, both for Y class.

tigertanaka
6th Aug 2020, 11:55
Now, Kazakhstan doesn’t surprise me as that is big oil and gas territory and the KLM route is often dominated by workers heading somewhere like that for their 3 week stint.

Is it possible to see that top 20 final destinations of the Amsterdam passengers?

Oil and gas is definately big business for MME-AMS but in my experience people seem to going to/from the Gulf countries, North Africa & Norway. KLM do not serve Atyrau but there is a three times a week codeshare with Air Astana direct from AMS (or you can fly Aeroflot via Moscow).

Estimated passengers over Amsterdam (two ways)
Alicante 12,172
London Heathrow 5,121
Copenhagen 2,685
Venice 1,801
Munich 1,759
Stavanger 1,697
Billund 1,690
Atyrau 1,544
Berlin Tegel 1,497
Bergen 1,490

Here is the full article: https://www.anna.aero/2020/08/05/eastern-airways-announces-teesside-heathrow-but-questions-of-viability-given-schedule/

AirportPlanner1
6th Aug 2020, 13:53
I can’t believe that many people would take such a convoluted route to Heathrow. Is this in fact counting people starting out from Heathrow or Teesside and ending up back at the other after having flown to Denmark/Kazakhstan etc in between?

Robert-Ryan
6th Aug 2020, 14:19

Seems we can either have a responsibly-run unsuccessful airport by Peel or an irresponsibly-run successful nationalised one 😔

tigertanaka
9th Aug 2020, 12:35
Jun CAA stats:

Terminal passengers: 178 - down 99% v prior year

Aberdeen: 62
Belfast City: 56
Cardiff: 60 (charter for Swansea FC?)

The ABZ and BHD flights restarted on 22 Jul (weekdays only) so 7 daily returns for a total of 14 flights each in the month. Clearly very early days (and of course the numbers are over 5 weeks old now) but this means 4.4 people per flight on ABZ and 4.0 on BHD. Assuming (despite covid-19), Eastern would sell all 29 seats on a J41 if they could, this would be a load factor of 15.3% on ABS and 13.8% on BHD. I guess we will know a lot more when August numbers come out.

mmeman
9th Aug 2020, 13:34
On the positive side really movements are the important thing, although the airport slipped to 15th busiest in the country, but still way ahead of Newcastle and Leeds. :} All generating some income I guess..

highwideandugly
9th Aug 2020, 18:19
Most of the movements were Falcons...which are an annual Contract..so I suppose no daily/ monthly income unless the contract is skewed to daily/weekly or monthly system?

P330
14th Aug 2020, 06:34
Looks like the Netherlands will be added to the quarantine/advise against all but essential travel list from Saturday. This includes transit stops.

Not great for the returning KLM which I guess is at risk of being pulled again.

tigertanaka
14th Aug 2020, 17:45
The guy on the LHR Facebook page who announced that Eastern were launching MME-LHR with an E170 (he did jump the gun a few weeks earlier as well) has just updated his post. He says that they will also be running an E190 on the route and that after the launch in September, it will increase to 3 daily.

Let's see if this happens but if Eastern have managed to nab those FlyBe remedy slots from BA, then I guess this would mean the end of MME-LCY?

SWBKCB
14th Aug 2020, 19:22
Responding to a question from Cllr Chris Barlow over whether the combined authority had paid up front for flights that didn't happen, Ms Gilhespie (Tees Valley Combined Authority chief executive) added: “The combined authority is not directly subsidising airlines. We have provided a turn-around budget to the airport, but the airport is in control in terms of how it manages that.”

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/mayor-hits-back-after-councillors-18767227

highwideandugly
15th Aug 2020, 07:48
All airports are loosing massive amounts of money at this present time.TIA will be no different..an expected loss of £2 million per year will be the tip of the iceberg? It will be interesting to see up dated figures when available?

With Wizz going to Doncaster..I think you can now count on half of one hand the potential low cost carriers left..to be the Knight in shining armour ?

As previously stated ,its a blessing,Cobhams,FR etc. are currently paying their way.

SWBKCB
15th Aug 2020, 08:10
Well, MME had less to lose by way of income - so could be argued that the impact will be less?

ted320
15th Aug 2020, 12:50
Forgive me if I have missed something, but will it be possible to check bags through onto other airlines when using MME - LHR?

When arriving at LHR if you have to collect bags, possibly change terminals roadside, re-check in, re-clear security that will be a real hassle!! I know eastern don't have any codeshares at the moment but does this stop you checking bags through?

SWBKCB
15th Aug 2020, 13:49
Forgive me if I have missed something, but will it be possible to check bags through onto other airlines when using MME - LHR?

When arriving at LHR if you have to collect bags, possibly change terminals roadside, re-check in, re-clear security that will be a real hassle!! I know eastern don't have any codeshares at the moment but does this stop you checking bags through?

Yes. Without some sort agreement with other airlines/alliances, you are buying a ticket to Heathrow with Eastern and then a ticket from Heathrow to wherever from somebody else - so will need to go through the full process again.

mmeman
15th Aug 2020, 14:09
Anyone know anything about London City - currently not available to book from 31st August 2020?

DUB19
15th Aug 2020, 17:07
Anyone know anything about London City - currently not available to book from 31st August 2020?

LCY scrapped due to LHR launch

rhutch28
15th Aug 2020, 18:44
LCY scrapped due to LHR launch
Well that route didn't last very long

GrahamK
15th Aug 2020, 20:09
What happens when LHR gets dropped, and LCY dont want to know when they go crawling back?

SKOJB
15th Aug 2020, 22:13
x 3 daily using a E90, very brave in current conditions!

allan1987
15th Aug 2020, 23:10
Mayor didn't tell us about the end of LCY, but the writing was on the wall.
Guessing Saab 2000 will return to lesser at end of the month. Heard else where there will be Code Share with BA. Not sure if it's for Heathrow only or Dublin flights is included.

Atlantic Explorer
16th Aug 2020, 06:56
Guessing Saab 2000 will return to lesser at end of the month. Heard else where there will be Code Share with BA. Not sure if it's for Heathrow only or Dublin flights is included.

Far better using a Saab 2000 on these routes than a jet. How they expect to meaningfully fill a jet 3 x a day is beyond me. Another bottomless money pit.

ted320
16th Aug 2020, 08:27
It seems to be me its more about filling the departures board rather than filling seats. LHR used to be a very successful route but the codeshares are needed asap for eastern to stand a chance.

Beafer
18th Aug 2020, 13:59
Various comments under the article. The airport was lucky the mayor bought it as it would be closed IF Peel still owned it today.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18656892.mayor-hits-back-councillors-blast-lack-information-teesside-airport-costs/

SWBKCB
18th Aug 2020, 14:04
Various comments under the article. The airport was lucky the mayor bought it as it would be closed IF Peel still owned it today.

Would it? Based on what?

No-More-Bullschit
18th Aug 2020, 15:08
Of course it wouldn't

Jamesair1
18th Aug 2020, 16:03
I notice that one of the complaints raised by the committee is that they are not being informed about how many passengers are carried on each route.....a quick look at the publicly available CAA monthly statistics would give them that information.

SWBKCB
18th Aug 2020, 16:55
I notice that one of the complaints raised by the committee is that they are not being informed about how many passengers are carried on each route.....a quick look at the publicly available CAA monthly statistics would give them that information.

So the airport should have the info readily to hand to provide to those with a statutory oversight role?

Cautious Optimist
18th Aug 2020, 20:12
All speculation and myth from people on the outside looking in. Trust the judgement of those who have the full picture.

mmeman
20th Aug 2020, 22:44
Eastern to Dublin now looks like it is pushed back to Feb 2021. It isn't mentioned at all on the latest update on their website.

The Nutts Mutts
21st Aug 2020, 06:20
Eastern's planned schedules appear to be changing daily at the moment. I keep an eye on their SOU plans, not MME, but if there's any commonality in how the airline makes plans for both airports then I wouldn't bet against the start date for Dublin changing again in the future. SOU's DUB start date has only ever slipped backwards, but is still showing as the 23rd October... for now!

mmeteesside
21st Aug 2020, 12:35
Eastern's planned schedules appear to be changing daily at the moment. I keep an eye on their SOU plans, not MME, but if there's any commonality in how the airline makes plans for both airports then I wouldn't bet against the start date for Dublin changing again in the future. SOU's DUB start date has only ever slipped backwards, but is still showing as the 23rd October... for now!

Further changes announced this morning, though it looks like Eastern’s booking system is still catching up.
Aberdeen to run twice daily Mon/Tue/Wed from 7th September. Sunday flight added from 6th.
Belfast to run twice daily Mon/Tue/Thu from 7th September. Sunday flight added from 6th.
Southampton to start as planned from 7th September, but just once daily (probably sensible) Mon-Fri

SWBKCB
24th Aug 2020, 14:48
CAA stats out for July - BHD 480, London City 182, Newquay 274. Nothing showing for ABZ.

Albert Hall
24th Aug 2020, 15:11
Those London City figures sound awful - did anyone count how many flights did they actually operate in July? The Newquay flights were twice a week compared to the LCY flights which were supposed to be twice a day!!

Newquay looks to be about 17 passengers per flight on average and Belfast about 12.

SWBKCB
24th Aug 2020, 15:39
London City was daily - I make it 19 return flights?

Albert Hall
24th Aug 2020, 16:19
That's an average of less than 5 pax/flight if so.... it surely can't be that bad?

JSCL
24th Aug 2020, 16:20
That's an average of less than 5 pax/flight if so.... it surely can't be that bad?

I'm sorry, but why would anyone be flying to London City right now when the city is pretty much closed compared to its usual hustle and bustle?

Albert Hall
24th Aug 2020, 17:21
A good point - but in that case, why would you fly an aircraft back and forward at less than 10% loadfactor to prove the point?!

JSCL
24th Aug 2020, 18:13
A good point - but in that case, why would you fly an aircraft back and forward at less than 10% loadfactor to prove the point?!
Depends who is proving the point, the airline or the mayor/airport.

AirportPlanner1
24th Aug 2020, 18:18
The figures are even worse than that because the first flight had a load of freebies on it (Tory MPs) and another couple were closed off for the Middlesbrough team travelling to/from Millwall.

tigertanaka
25th Aug 2020, 17:12
July CAA stats:

Terminal passengers: 1,429 - down 89% v prior year

Aberdeen: 319
Belfast City: 480
Cardiff: 66 (charter?)
London City: 222
Newquay: 274

I reckon this makes the loads on the flights in July as follows:

Aberdeen: 6.3 pax per flight
Belfast City: 10.4
London City: 5.8
Newquay: 17.1

Perhaps no surprise LCY is going, especially with LHR starting. NQY seems pretty good given it was announced at the last minute.

JSCL
25th Aug 2020, 18:00
I think Eastern can be happy with that at short notice and during the current climate. The Jetstreams really are proving their worth right now Id say.

SWBKCB
25th Aug 2020, 19:03
Cardiff was a football charter.

Fletch
25th Aug 2020, 20:10
I'm sorry, but why would anyone be flying to London City right now when the city is pretty much closed compared to its usual hustle and bustle?

The figures are unsurprisingly shocking. The frustrating thing is the blatant waste of money. Most carriers are cutting frequencies and routes as the world is gripped in a crisis. It became obvious the (launch of the) routes should have been cancelled until things stabilise. Even the heaviest used routes are struggling at the moment. I hope these routes will return when things normalise, but at the moment they look an opportunity wasted to fund the ego of 1 person.

Atlantic Explorer
25th Aug 2020, 20:45
That’s some serious losses on those routes there! Remember that the advertised prices were very cheap so it’s not like Eastern of old whereby pax were paying £200 a trip. I just can’t see this lasting much longer at these sorts of figures. Of course, the next chapter is trying to fill a jet to LHR which increases costs even more! It’s all a bit Mickey Mouse.

allan1987
27th Aug 2020, 21:53
Teesside to Belfast City goes twice a day Mon - Fri from Mon 7th Oct
MME 7:30 - 8:30 BHD
MME 16:20 - 17:20 BHD

BHD 9:10 - 10:10 MME
BHD 18:05 - 19:05 MME

SWBKCB
28th Aug 2020, 05:40
Flights will operate weekly from Inverness during June, July, September and October, from Teesside the flights will operate over July, August and September.

Flights operated by Albastar on a Sunday afternoon - "We are a fully licensed and bonded tour operator with licence number 678 issued by the Spanish Tourism Ministry, this licence provides the protections and rights applying to package holidays under EU Directive 2015/2302. JetsGo Holidays, as required by EU law, has protection in place to refund your payments in the unlikely event of JetsGo Holidays insolvency, and, where necessary, for your repatriation.". Interesting to see how that works post Brexit.

Jetsgo - Summer 2021 Holidays on Sale (https://www.jetsgoholidays.com/news/2021/)

LGS6753
28th Aug 2020, 08:54
JetsGo seem to be offering flights this weekend and next, despite the quarantine restrictions.

rog747
28th Aug 2020, 08:57
JetsGo seem to be offering flights this weekend and next, despite the quarantine restrictions.

JetsGo Holidays was established in 2015, not be be confused with Jet2 Holidays - Jetsgo and Jet2 Hols share similar colours in branding style....

LGS6753
28th Aug 2020, 08:59
JetsGo Holidays was established in 2015, not be be confused with Jet2 Holidays - Jetsgo and Jet2 Hols share similar colours in branding style....
I was looking at the JetsGo website (link above), which only offers Majorca from INV and MME.

JSCL
28th Aug 2020, 11:28
Does JetsGo have any relation to the Jetxtra outfit that existed up at HUY once upon a time?

GAXLN
28th Aug 2020, 11:39

Nothing regarding the flights on the airport departure board........ how very strange.

Beafer
1st Sep 2020, 10:02
Public comments on the page mention the departure tax.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/18688188.upgrade-underway-get-teesside-airport-out-70s/

rog747
2nd Sep 2020, 06:29
Does JetsGo have any relation to the Jetxtra outfit that existed up at HUY once upon a time?

Yes indeed - same guy - Daniel Reilly,

JetXtra was launched in 2012 by 26-year-old Daniel Reilly from Liverpool.(ex Police Officer)
In January 2012, Jet2.com took issue over the use of the word 'jet' in the name.

In May 2013, flights commenced from Humberside Airport using a Volotea Boeing 717.
For the summer season of 2014, JetXtra provided services between Alicante and Palma de Mallorca and Humberside using a BA CityFlyer Embraer E-Jets.
Operations then were due to begin as JetsGo to Palma using BHD but the whole series was cancelled before its start due to ATOL and Spanish Bond issues
Germania was doing the BHD flight on a W pattern.
Holidays continued from MAN with Small Planet and BACF.
then currently from MME and INV. (Alba Star)

I did mention in an above post that looking at JetsGo's logo, colours and brochure it does have a wee bit of a look like Jet2 Holidays...

SWBKCB
2nd Sep 2020, 06:43
Just to clarify JetsGo are a Spanish company although run by Daniel Reilly. No flights operated from MME this year

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2020/06/20/68741/interview-with-daniel-reilly-jetsgo-holidays.html

JetsGoholidays.com (we, us, our) is the trading name of JetsGo Holidays Spain S.L CIF - B57880601 a Spanish limited liability company whose registered address is Carrer Jose Anselmo Clave 8, Palma, Mallorca. We are a Spain based tour operator and are fully licensed and bonded through the Spanish Tourism Ministry (Conselleria de Turisme i Esport) with licence number AVBAL/678.

https://www.jetsgoholidays.com/useful-information/terms-and-conditions (https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2020/06/20/68741/interview-with-daniel-reilly-jetsgo-holidays.html)

rog747
2nd Sep 2020, 06:52
Seems JetsGo operate and sell their UK departing package holidays using a Spanish Bond for financial protection, they have no CAA ATOL nor belong to ABTA -
This is a new one on me, although being an ABTA member is not a prerequisite, an ATOL I thought was...
Their Spanish Bond operates under EU law, fine, but what happens after 31/12/2020?

From JetsGo FAQ's
Our package holidays are financially protected, so you can have peace of mind when you book with JetsGo Holidays!
We are a fully licensed and bonded tour operator with licence number 678 issued by the Spanish Tourism Ministry, complying with the European Unions Package Travel Directive. The Package Travel Directive (2015/2302/EU) is a European wide regulation protecting travellers’ rights when booking package holidays, in relation to cancellation, liability, repatriation and refunds.
JetsGo Holidays, as required by EU law, has protection in place to refund customer payments in the unlikely event of JetsGo Holidays insolvency, and, where necessary, for repatriation. If one of the suppliers we work with ceases to trade and this affects your booking, we will attempt to rearrange your booking for you or offer a refund.

We also recommend customers pay with a credit card as this offers further protection under the Consumer Credit Act. (which is a UK law)

OMGitsDAVE
2nd Sep 2020, 13:25
New body scanners installed at MME to allow security to be bypassed at Schiphol and LHR.

View more: https://www.teessideinternational.com/teesside-airport-installs-cutting-edge-equipment-ahead-of-1million-security-overhaul/?fbclid=IwAR32JBTmQe_C--JOKXu6b-MxEdZMVN2xJ1JvEpIsFy1VBwUUkKrey4kwOBc

fanrailuk
2nd Sep 2020, 14:33
New body scanners installed at MME to allow security to be bypassed at Schiphol and LHR.

View more: https://www.teessideinternational.com/teesside-airport-installs-cutting-edge-equipment-ahead-of-1million-security-overhaul/?fbclid=IwAR32JBTmQe_C--JOKXu6b-MxEdZMVN2xJ1JvEpIsFy1VBwUUkKrey4kwOBc

To make it clear, if you had arrived and remained airside when connecting at AMS (or LHR), you wouldn’t need to “re-clear” security before your connecting flight departed - the only potential check would be of your passport due to Schengen area requirements (at AMS).

SWBKCB
2nd Sep 2020, 16:18
Are you allowed to stay airside at LHR if you're not on a through ticket

flyerguy
3rd Sep 2020, 08:57
Are you allowed to stay airside at LHR if you're not on a through ticket

Nope, if your on 2 separate tickets you must re check in again landside

tigertanaka
3rd Sep 2020, 10:02
Nope, if your on 2 separate tickets you must re check in again landside

Not sure you need to if you don't have any checked in luggage. If it were terminal 5 (not sure about t2) doing Domestic > International then there wouldn't be an issue.

flyerguy
3rd Sep 2020, 13:00
Not sure you need to if you don't have any checked in luggage. If it were terminal 5 (not sure about t2) doing Domestic > International then there wouldn't be an issue.

I’ve had people try (I operate out of LHR) and I’ve seen them turned around by the Transfer Agents

FFHKG
4th Sep 2020, 09:17
Surely, it would not be a problem if you have already checked in on line for the second flight and hold a boarding card for it.

SWBKCB
4th Sep 2020, 09:35
Surely, it would not be a problem if you have already checked in on line for the second flight and hold a boarding card for it.

But surely you'd still need to go through security if you go landside, even if you've checked in on line and gone through security at MME?

FFHKG
4th Sep 2020, 09:42
If it's at LHR, if you transit from a domestic arrival to another flight, you do not go through security at Heathrow as you have already cleared that at the origin airport with the UK. Similar, here in Spain, transiting at Madrid from an internal Spanish flight does not involve going through security again. At AMS, all security used to be at the gate, but I gather this has now changed so I am not sure how they operate there now.

SWBKCB
4th Sep 2020, 10:05
I can see that if you are connecting on one ticket and stay airside, but for example if you are self connecting on Eastern from MME to BA at LHR, How does that work - surely you leave the secure "bubble" when you change terminals and would have to clear security again in T5, or is there a way of doing it and remaining airside?

flyerguy
4th Sep 2020, 11:50
I can see that if you are connecting on one ticket and stay airside, but for example if you are self connecting on Eastern from MME to BA at LHR, How does that work - surely you leave the secure "bubble" when you change terminals and would have to clear security again in T5, or is there a way of doing it and remaining airside?

Airside Transfers are done through shuttle buses, which you would need a Transfer Ticket. If not then the underground, rail or bus network landside to T5

fl dutchman
4th Sep 2020, 13:06
If you fly domestic into T5 on BA and then out of T5 on international you dont need to go through security again at LHR assuming your bags are checked through to your destination and you have all boarding passes.

If you fly domestic into T5 on BA then out of T2, T3, T4 with a partner airline and some others on international and your bags are checked through to the final destination and you have all boarding passes, you have to get the airside transfer bus to the relevant terminal (you dont need a transfer ticket just a valid boarding pass also dont need to collect bags) where you will have to go through security again before entering the departure lounge in that terminal.

If you fly into LHR terminal ,2,3,4 or 5 on an international and your checked to your final destination ( baggage and boarding pass) and you depart on a domestic out of T5 you will use the airside bus to get to your departure terminal. and you will have to clear security at the terminal you depart from. If your flying in to T5 on international and out on domestic you still need to clear security at T5. ( dont need the transfer bus though.)

Hope that makes sense.

So for Eastern from Teeside there will have to be some through check in facility in place otherwise you will have to collect bags if you have any at the arrival terminal. Transfer with your bags landside. Check in again for your next flight and go through security. Hopefully something will be in place to avoid this.

SWBKCB
4th Sep 2020, 13:33
So for Eastern from Teeside there will have to be some through check in facility in place otherwise you will have to collect bags if you have any at the arrival terminal. Transfer with your bags landside. Check in again for your next flight and go through security. Hopefully something will be in place to avoid this.

If there is, nothing has been announced. As far as I am aware, Eastern have no agreements with any other airlines at Heathrow. So, I'm curious as to why the airports press release says:

The machines, fully compliant with Department for Transport regulations, will also make onward connectivity to Amsterdam Schiphol and Heathrow even smoother by removing the requirement to go through their security processes.

highwideandugly
13th Sep 2020, 16:19
Quite a momentous moment in NE aviation history tomorrow ( Ok..bit strong!)...but for the first time ever..more departures to London Heathrow from TIA tomorrow than Newcastle..strange times!

VickersVicount
13th Sep 2020, 17:20
Quite a momentous moment in NE aviation history tomorrow ( Ok..bit strong!)...but for the first time ever..more departures to London Heathrow from TIA tomorrow than Newcastle..strange times!
A ‘strange’ anomaly that won’t last...

JKKne
13th Sep 2020, 20:48

Has the Mayor called a full press conference yet?

P330
14th Sep 2020, 06:22
You can’t imagine he would let a photo opportunity pass up.

Given the strange times, odd timings, and no reference yet to check through/code share, let’s see if this lasts longer than LCY.

This first week, the flight runs 4 times; Mon, Thu, Fri and Sun only....

Atlantic Explorer
14th Sep 2020, 06:27
You can’t imagine he would let a photo opportunity pass up.

Given the strange times, odd timings, and no reference yet to check through/code share, let’s see if this lasts longer than LCY.

This first week, the flight runs 4 times; Mon, Thu, Fri and Sun only....

Ive seen some social media posts suggesting that these flights will be operated on E170. Is this actually the case?

P330
14th Sep 2020, 07:03
Ive seen some social media posts suggesting that these flights will be operated on E170. Is this actually the case?

Yes, the E170 arrived yesterday to commence the flights Monday.

SWBKCB
14th Sep 2020, 07:48
Hasn't it always been expected to be on the E170?

What happened to the Moldovan E190 that went through HUY to EMA for painting. Has it been confirmed that it is for Eastern?

allan1987
14th Sep 2020, 07:52
Hasn't it always been expected to be on the E170?

What happened to the Moldovan E190 that went through HUY to EMA for painting. Has it been confirmed that it is for Eastern?

The E190 is in HUY. Has been back from 4 August painted white though no UK registration

fjencl
14th Sep 2020, 11:25
Good to see the LHR flight arrived into LHR 25 mins early.......

SWBKCB
14th Sep 2020, 13:39

This from the airports press release:Teesside Airport and Eastern Airways remain in talks with airlines to make it even easier to continue onward travel via Heathrow, with a number of announcements expected in the coming months.

P330
14th Sep 2020, 14:57
This from the airports press release:

That would make a big difference!

GrahamK
14th Sep 2020, 17:25
42 reportedly on the 1st MME-LHR

BA318
14th Sep 2020, 19:47
42 reportedly on the 1st MME-LHR

According to LHR staff on Facebook there were 8 on the return.

DUB19
14th Sep 2020, 20:59
According to LHR staff on Facebook there were 8 on the return.

Surely that can’t be sustainable?

SWBKCB
14th Sep 2020, 21:03
Good grief - it's day 1... :rolleyes:

DUB19
14th Sep 2020, 21:11
Good grief - it's day 1... :rolleyes:

You would expect a higher load on an inaugural flight.

AirportPlanner1
14th Sep 2020, 21:45
You would expect a higher load on an inaugural flight.

No, and far too simplistic. On that logic any route from anywhere in Northern Europe to anywhere in the Mediterranean with a beach would be packed full both ways in the first week. Never going to happen.

Cautious Optimist
15th Sep 2020, 00:17
Until a connection agreement is in place we won't be able to measure the success of the route.

Atlantic Explorer
15th Sep 2020, 05:54
And, let’s face it, operating the route on a E170 is not exactly helping the financial economics of the situation. There’s going to have to be a lot of money pumped into this route if the pax numbers are thin.

SWBKCB
15th Sep 2020, 06:37
You and Cautious Optimist may well be right, but assessing the sustainability of the route on the basis of a single load seems a bit premature....

P330
15th Sep 2020, 06:42
More changes to KLM.

The messy af-hoc flights continue for a little while yet then move to once a day in the afternoon from late October. This continues until January when the mid-morning flight returns to make things twice daily. No sign yet of 1530/9.

In comparison, Newcastle are currently 3 x daily, increasing to 4 x daily in January.

SWBKCB
15th Sep 2020, 06:43
And, let’s face it, operating the route on a E170 is not exactly helping the financial economics of the situation. There’s going to have to be a lot of money pumped into this route if the pax numbers are thin.

And the 170 is off to BHD this morning instead of the S.2000

Beafer
15th Sep 2020, 08:36
A couple of photo's of the first flight, and some information on the airport running costs by the mayor.
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/first-teesside-airport-london-heathrow-18931347

davidjohnson6
15th Sep 2020, 08:47
Ten year plan, with a hope to move from annual loss to breakeven by year six or seven ?????

SWBKCB
15th Sep 2020, 08:51
Ten year plan, with a hope to move from annual loss to breakeven by year six or seven ?????

And your point is? The airport has suffered years of under-investment and a long-term view is being taken, and the Mayor clearly sees the airport as being of strategic importance to the region.

SKOJB
15th Sep 2020, 09:05
A couple of photo's of the first flight, and some information on the airport running costs by the mayor.
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/first-teesside-airport-london-heathrow-18931347

shame their liveries are all over the show, you would think they could incorporate their corporate brand flying in to a worldwide hub!

davidjohnson6
15th Sep 2020, 11:35
And your point is? The airport has suffered years of under-investment and a long-term view is being taken, and the Mayor clearly sees the airport as being of strategic importance to the region.
My point is that 6 or 7 years to reach breakeven is an exceptionally long time when the main physical infrastructure is already in place. Yes there has been chronic underinvestment, but I can't think of many private sector organisations that would accept 7 years of losses before hoping for a (likely modest) profit

SWBKCB
15th Sep 2020, 11:59
Only half as long as Amazon! :ok:

Anyway, it's not a private sector organisation - it's being funded by a politician as part of an industrial strategy to re-generate the area. Whether you agree with him or not, he has a plan and is going for it, and is looking at transport as part of an overal regional strategy. .

10 DME ARC
15th Sep 2020, 16:11
A neighbour posting on FB as the only pax on the SOU this morning, in fact got a pic of being only passenger in airport!!

allan1987
15th Sep 2020, 18:02
And the 170 is off to BHD this morning instead of the S.2000

I seen that on flightradar24,
BA CityFlyer E170 arrived about 10 mins before the Eastern Airways E170 arrived and left about 15 mins before the Eastern Airways E170 took off

Beafer
15th Sep 2020, 18:04
Stobart Group investor news.
https://news.sky.com/story/struggling-haulier-eddie-stobart-braces-for-lender-showdown-11831017

SWBKCB
15th Sep 2020, 18:37
That's Eddie Stobart, not the Stobart Group associated with MME?

Beafer
15th Sep 2020, 22:30
That's Eddie Stobart, not the Stobart Group associated with MME?

The lower part of the article was referring to the Stobart Group who are associated with MME.

Quote: " To complicate matters, Stobart Group also has an economic interest in its former sister company.

The crisis at Eddie Stobart has delivered a further blow to the embattled fund manager Neil Woodford, who owns more than 20% of the company.

The company's shares have performed dismally since its return to the stock market in 2017.

They listed at 160p, valuing the company at more than £570m, but are now worth just 71p.

The shares have slumped by 47% in the last year alone."