PDA

View Full Version : United Pilots Accept Need For Concessions

Crash_and_Burn
5th Aug 2002, 10:24
After then fun of the BA Profits thread, and all those who said "why should the pilots contribute.....?"

And before you ask how have I contributed....33% increase in productivity, no pay rise for 18 months, No bonus, 5 percent pay cut. etc..........

"After the first week of "roadshow" meetings to present to members United's recovery plan and tentative wage concession agreement, the Air Line Pilots Association's United Master Executive Council says pilots accept the proposals as the best way to address problems facing the airline. Pilots should vote on the agreement between Aug. 20 and mid-September. An MEC spokesman believes pilots will ratify the agreement by a comfortable margin."

411A
5th Aug 2002, 14:36
Wonder if BMI crew are paying attention?

BOING
5th Aug 2002, 20:59
The aforementioned Road-Shows have not been completed yet. There is great scepticism amongst the pilots about ;

A. The need for these concessions.

B. Even amongst those pilots who believe concessions are needed there is doubt whether the present proposed agreement is acceptable.

Airbubba
6th Aug 2002, 10:35
"Don't worry son, the government won't let United Airlines go out of business."

Deja vu all over again...

wes_wall
6th Aug 2002, 12:01
Airbubba

What makes you think so.

Perhaps you are too young to remember Braniff, Air Florida, North East, Eastern, PSA, Air New England, and a host of others. Oh by the way, wasn't there another small carrier that went belly up? I think the name was Pan Am. Simply because they fly the flag on the tail does not mean they are a state carrier.

fokker70
6th Aug 2002, 12:06
wes_wall
Have to agree, if they do not turn this business around, and fast it will be cheerio...pity, but that is the way of the money making business world.

Airbubba
6th Aug 2002, 12:23
>>Perhaps you are too young to remember Braniff, Air Florida, North East, Eastern, PSA, Air New England, and a host of others.<<

I can see subtlety is wasted on some people...

S76Heavy
6th Aug 2002, 12:37
Airbubba, next time try the smileys. Not everybody recognises irony..:rolleyes:

BusyB
6th Aug 2002, 16:03
411A shows his usual consistency, United pilots merely discuss pay concessions and he's happy. BMI or Cathay pilots are faced with unilateral pay & condition changes and its our fault. Its a surprise senility hasn't led to him being put away or put down!!

wes_wall
6th Aug 2002, 17:24
Airbubba

Whats to be subtle about? Merely a statement of fact about carriers which are no longer around.

Still awaiting your reasoning why the Government will step in and rescue UAL. Care to enlighten us?

S76Heavy
6th Aug 2002, 17:33
Wes_wall, airbubba made a sarcastic remark. apparently his joke did not come across as such, therefore his remark about "subtlety". At least that's how I understand it. Then again, it does not affect me at all as I fly something and somewhere completely different, so I have the luxury of watching from the sideliness.
I wish everybody involved good luck and some sense of humour..

wes_wall
6th Aug 2002, 18:50
S76Heavy

Read back understood, accepted, and apology extended. No harm intended. Unfortunately I was around when all the blood letting occured during the 80s and 90s, and recall all too well the pain many went through. I was fortunate enough to have (just) been a retired aluminous before my carrier, the largest, said farewell. How very sad, so don't anyone for a moment think there is a white horse, much less a white house, waiting for the rescue.

S76Heavy
6th Aug 2002, 19:12
Wes_Wall, no problem. Sometimes it's easier to be sarcastic. Well proven defense mechanism..Thx for the reply.

redtail
6th Aug 2002, 23:15
"Still awaiting your reasoning why the Government will step in and rescue UAL. Care to enlighten us?"

Why wouldn't the Gubbermint let the UAL unions go on strike, in the recent past?

Airbubba
7th Aug 2002, 11:52
>>Read back understood, accepted, and apology extended. No harm intended. Unfortunately I was around when all the blood letting occured during the 80s and 90s, and recall all too well the pain many went through. I was fortunate enough to have (just) been a retired aluminous before my carrier, the largest, said farewell. <<

If it's any consolation, I probably rode down the same carrier, didn't make it to retirement...

GlueBall
7th Aug 2002, 15:52
When 46% of revenues are eaten up by payroll there is an accounting problem even in ordinary times. But during recession, it becomes an altogether larger problem of corporate survival.

UAL management has done too little too late to save itself from bankruptcy, because no business can burn cash every day forever. And the economic recession, shall we say,... isn't over just yet.

But life will go on. With or without UAL. :(