PDA

View Full Version : Foreflight VS iFly

Frank Bellinger
15th Apr 2019, 22:27
I am a private pilot in the U.S. and am curious to what everyone's experiences and opinions are of these to EFB's.

I fly approximately 30-40 hrs per year and have not yet ventured more than 150 NM away from my home FBO. I do plan on taking my son to NC for a fishing trip and we would like to fly there. (NY0 - KMRH)

Thank you!
---Frank---

alland2012
16th Apr 2019, 12:25
Frank I can't comment on iFly as I haven't used it, but Foreflight has been my choice of EFB for my US flying for years, I don't have anything negative to say about it.
In the UK I use Sky Demon, which is also good, but I have to say Foreflight currently has the edge for me.

Frank Bellinger
16th Apr 2019, 14:03
Thanks for your opinion. I have used Foreflight in the past and have had no issues, however, after seeing a brief iFly demo at Sun n Fun this year, it seemed to be more "user friendly" AND have more useful options than foreflight...for the GA pilot.Frank I can't comment on iFly as I haven't used it, but Foreflight has been my choice of EFB for my US flying for years, I don't have anything negative to say about it.
In the UK I use Sky Demon, which is also good, but I have to say Foreflight currently has the edge for me.

India Four Two
16th Apr 2019, 16:45
Three years ago, I used ForeFlight “in anger” for the first time on a trip to Oshkosh and back. 1000 miles each way.

The nav capabilities and the airport charts and information are marvelous but for me, the outstanding feature is the ability to display fuel prices on the map.

Those numbers dictated our fuel stops, often at little, deserted country airports with a few hangars and a self-service pump. We easily saved the cost of a ForeFlight subscription by avoiding FBOs.

Frank Bellinger
16th Apr 2019, 17:21
Three years ago, I used ForeFlight “in anger” for the first time on a trip to Oshkosh and back. 1000 miles each way.

The nav capabilities and the airport charts and information are marvelous but for me, the outstanding feature is the ability to display fuel prices on the map.

Those numbers dictated our fuel stops, often at little, deserted country airports with a few hangars and a self-service pump. We easily saved the cost of a ForeFlight subscription by avoiding FBOs.Thanks for the input! That's a great feature...also offered by the iFly app. That's what I'm up against. The iFly app seems to have all of the features of the $199 Foreflight subscription...but for almost a third the price.

Romeo Tango
18th Apr 2019, 16:03
I recently flew to eastern mediterranean from UK in a light single. Foreflight was great for IFR flying across multiple borders. It's USA format does not always mesh exactly with Eurostuff but mostly this is FBO info, airfield opening times etc.

For VFR I still prefer Skydemon it has so many VFR friendly features, eg forecasts for alpine routes, FIS frequencies, easier to see the complex euro controlled airspace etc etc.

Frank Bellinger
18th Apr 2019, 16:22
I recently flew to eastern mediterranean from UK in a light single. Foreflight was great for IFR flying across multiple borders. It's USA format does not always mesh exactly with Eurostuff but mostly this is FBO info, airfield opening times etc.

For VFR I still prefer Skydemon it has so many VFR friendly features, eg forecasts for alpine routes, FIS frequencies, easier to see the complex euro controlled airspace etc etc.
Thanks Romeo Tango!