PDA

View Full Version : To (ADS-) B or not to (ADS-)B, that is the question!

TheOddOne
21st Feb 2019, 17:08
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The Cessnas and Arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them?

Some advice, please...

We operate a PA28-180 for LAPL/PPL and IR(R) training and Club flying. We'd like to replace our ageing but still working KT76A with something more up-to-date and ideally future-proof.

Is it worth thinking about ADS-B? My view is that until it's the law that everything flying must be so fitted, it's of limited value. It'll be the one without it fitted that you'll have a close encounter of the 3rd kind with!

I'd love to buy the Trig 'cos it's made in the UK but I find the code change on it really fiddly. Anyone any experiences with other units?

Thanks,

TOO

2Donkeys
21st Feb 2019, 21:32
I have the Garmin GTX345 (I actually have the R model, the remotely mounted transponder, controlled via a GTN750).

Beautiful easy-to-use transponder along the same lines as all of the other GTX units. Does both 1090 and 978 In and Out. Receives ADSB traffic and weather in and displays it on both the panel-mounted instruments, as well as by bluetooth on my iPad (running Garmin Pilot).

The high end of the current GA offerings, but a great product.

MrAverage
22nd Feb 2019, 07:52
We have an older 330 in our 181, which also can be controlled from the 750. A Trig in our Aerobat. If I had the money they'd both get 345s in a heartbeat. In and Out is the future and the GTX is far easier to use than the Trig.

ETOPS
22nd Feb 2019, 08:16
Hello TOO

I've got quite a bit of recent experience fitting ADSB capable transponders to light aircraft and in your case would point you to this unit..

https://www.trig-avionics.com/product/stack-transponder/ (https://www.trig-avionics.com/product/stack-transponder/)
Not found changing codes fiddly at all.

It is a virtually plug-in replacement for the KT76 and is ADSB out with the correct GPS feed or one of these..

https://www.trig-avionics.com/product/tn70-gps-receiver/

ETOPS
22nd Feb 2019, 08:21
PS My other transponder is the KTX2 from TQ Avionics - now that's fiddly :ugh:

ChickenHouse
22nd Feb 2019, 08:37
TrigTT31 slide in replacement for the KT76A, handling is pretty similar, and wiring to a certified IFR GPS, full stop.

MrAverage
22nd Feb 2019, 10:11
Approximately three times more head down time with the Trig. I know we're only talking extra seconds but................

Jhieminga
22nd Feb 2019, 12:29
I think that the Trig is the easiest to use transponder out there, compared to the other offerings mentioned before. I've used them quite a lot and once you get used to 'twist-enter-twist-enter-etc' it can be done really quickly. The only other solution that might be slightly easier is the KT74 or the GTX345, where you've got the numbered buttons below the screen. The downside of that is that you have to keep looking to see if you've pressed the correct button, whereas, with the Trig, you can increase from 0 to 3 for example by feel. Also, I prefer the rotary selector for the modes, compared to the somewhat fiddly buttons on a GTX345 or the other Garmin options. I find that with a Garmin transponder I'm spending more time (only seconds, but still) looking at the screen to see if I've done it correctly than with a Trig.