PDA

View Full Version : Blue air blaming Brexit for cancellations

Nil by mouth
15th Feb 2019, 21:00
This may be another Euro Weekly headline grabber but it may be the thin edge of the wedge?
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2019/02/15/holidaymakers-turn-air-blue-after-budget-airline-cancels-flights-from-uk-to-spain-due-to-brexit-impasse/#.XGc0yuRKjcd

Hotel Tango
15th Feb 2019, 21:06
For info, a thread on this was already started and moved to the appropriate forum by the moderator.

excrab
16th Feb 2019, 05:31
And presumably job losses for the locally based UK employees. A victory therefore for those who voted for Brexit, well done Chaps, jolly good show !!

porkflyer
16th Feb 2019, 09:20
Well ..looks like Brexit is just an excuse . Massive cuts on all the network all over EU. Italian base TRN cut 60% of flight throwing in the garbage any effort made to establish as a trusted vector. Not the first error made but this will severely undermine any future attempt to recover such trust ..
The gernan German logistic company Zeithfract has taken conttol and they are cutting all unproductive routes..They control also WDL aviation an ACMI operator ..Very shortsighted move but what can you expect by a trucking company.. truck driver salaries? Well they are almost already there.
​​​​​​

Gove N.T.
16th Feb 2019, 13:08
And presumably job losses for the locally based UK employees. A victory therefore for those who voted for Brexit, well done Chaps, jolly good show !!
Ever thought there might be some other reason (like management failures typical of some LCCs) and the Romanians thought it would be a wicked wheeze to blame the BREXITEERS

ATC Watcher
16th Feb 2019, 18:33
Excrab : I'm surprised no one has suggested that the UK should have stayed in the EU and Germany should have been told to leave, at least that would make more sense historically.
Brillant ! Could come straight from Basil in Fawlty towers or Blackadder. Brexit might come or not, but keep the British humor please!

777JRM
16th Feb 2019, 21:33
And obviously nothing to do with the fact that after March 29th a company which doesn't have a UK AOC and British registered aircraft might not be able to fly from the UK to a country where it's aircraft and AOC isn't based.

Yet, last Novemebr I think, did the UK not quickly agree with the US that flights between the two would not be affected?

Logically, if the politicians are willing, and able, then flights from the UK to other countries should not be affected.

A4
16th Feb 2019, 23:21
Do Blue Air have any aircraft based in the U.K......genuine question but I don’t think they do? Don’t most of their flights operate ex-Romania? So, why won’t they be able to fly ROM-UK-ROM post Brexit? Just as G reg easyJet will be able to fly U.K.-EUROPE-U.K. easyJet set up the Austrian AOC to allow intra-European flights to continue post Brexit as G reg aircraft won’t (at the moment) be able to. With a fleet of over 300 aircraft it makes perfect sense to do this......if the EU / EASA / U.K. behave like grown ups and come to compromise it may all prove to have been unnecessary - but that’s not a risk the U.K.’s largest airline can take.

It’s too convenient to blame Brexit. Today we’ve had FlyBMI collapse.....another small player. There’s a bit of a theme developing here as we get further into winter......I hope Blue Air are not next but as others have posted there appears to be some restructuring going on........IMHO zero to do with BREXIT......but a useful scapegoat to for the affected passengers to direct their ire at.

A4

excrab
17th Feb 2019, 03:09
Do Blue Air have any aircraft based in the U.K......genuine question but I don’t think they do? Don’t most of their flights operate ex-Romania? So, why won’t they be able to fly ROM-UK-ROM post Brexit? Just as G reg easyJet will be able to fly U.K.-EUROPE-U.K. easyJet set up the Austrian AOC to allow intra-European flights to continue post Brexit as G reg aircraft won’t (at the moment) be able to. With a fleet of over 300 aircraft it makes perfect sense to do this......if the EU / EASA / U.K. behave like grown ups and come to compromise it may all prove to have been unnecessary - but that’s not a risk the U.K.’s largest airline can take.

It’s too convenient to blame Brexit. Today we’ve had FlyBMI collapse.....another small player. There’s a bit of a theme developing here as we get further into winter......I hope Blue Air are not next but as others have posted there appears to be some restructuring going on........IMHO zero to do with BREXIT......but a useful scapegoat to for the affected passengers to direct their ire at.

A4

Blue Air almost certainly will be able to fly from Romania to the UK at some point. What they may not be able to do is to fly from the UK to Cyprus, among other places. In order to do this they would, supposedly, have to set up a UK or Greek AOC, effectively doing the same as Easyjet but in reverse. Quite possibly they don't have the resources to do this so have taken a decision to act now rather than waiting until March 29th to see what happens because it "might be alright, somehow".....

So just to try and understand Brexiteer logic : Easyjet have to change their business model and thousands of UK pilot's have to spend collectively a load of money transferring their licences to non-UK EASA members, no doubt that's as a result of Brexit. But if other airlines who don't have Easyjet's financial stability have to restructure or sadly, and even worse, cease trading it's nothing to do with Brexit and they're just using Brexit as an excuse, because Brexit is wonderful and nothing bad can possibly come of it. Have I got that right ?

FRogge
17th Feb 2019, 06:06
I don't think there is any problem for Blue Air as a EU operator to fly from anywhere in EU to UK or vice versa. If it would be a problem, then it's a massive headache also for easy and Ryanair with theire non Austrian/ non Irish bases since they couldn't fly from them to UK. (except with their UK AOCs)

SWBKCB
17th Feb 2019, 06:15
I don't think there is any problem for Blue Air as a EU operator to fly from anywhere in EU to UK or vice versa

There isn't any agreement in place yet, so nothing is certain. This may be the case, but it isn't confirmed yet.

The Old Fat One
17th Feb 2019, 06:31
There isn't any agreement in place yet, so nothing is certain. This may be the case, but it isn't confirmed yet.

Exactly.

People (including politicians) can pontificate all day long about the where's and wherefore's of brexit (or BREXIT, if you need to yell) but if Joe Public decides to give flying a miss for a couple of months until it all blows over, that's just an unfortunate consequence for the aviation industry that is outside everybody's' control.

Not enough bums on seats = cashflow problems for the weak and lame = market consolidation.

Of course there will be other factors, its low cost aviation!!!

To some degree though (I don't think anybody knows how much) brexit is just an added kick in the nuts.

And, (how many times have I had to post this!)...I could not care less about brexit and how it plays out, so please don't yell "project fear" at me.

topgas
17th Feb 2019, 07:31
What they may not be able to do is to fly from the UK to Cyprus, among other places. In order to do this they would, supposedly, have to set up a UK or Greek AOC
​​​​​​​
Not sure how a Greek AOC would help, as Greece is another country.

Buster the Bear
4th Mar 2019, 18:30
That'll be the same Blue Air launching Bucharest to Heathrow for the summer! I blame Brexit!

22/04
5th Mar 2019, 15:16
Just to be clear if there is a no deal Brexit, schedules this summer will be frozen at those of last year, pending the negotiation of bi-laterals could as they say take some time. But in theory at least any new services will be subject to bilateral agreement.