PDA

View Full Version : New Russian Supersonic Jet

ORAC
31st Jan 2019, 14:06
https://www.rt.com/business/450231-russia-supersonic-passenger-jet/Russia to bring back the supersonic passenger airliner
The United Aviation Corporation (UAC) will develop Russia’s newest supersonic passenger jet starting 2022, according to the Russian Ministry of Industry, over five decades after launching supersonic travel with the Tupolev Tu-144.The flight simulator demonstrating the new jet’s capabilities should be developed within three years, said Denis Manturov, the head of the ministry........

Asturias56
31st Jan 2019, 14:11
Another flight of fancy...............

Less Hair
31st Jan 2019, 14:19
What is their market?

AndoniP
31st Jan 2019, 14:28
"launched supersonic travel" puts a nice spin on things

mach2.6
31st Jan 2019, 14:30
Concordski 2.0. YGBSM

DaveReidUK
31st Jan 2019, 14:52
"launched supersonic travel" puts a nice spin on things

Well technically that's true, I suppose.

RT's "over five decades after launching supersonic travel " is a reference to its first flight in December 1968, nine weeks before Concorde first flew. So, notwithstanding its troubled history, it did set several precedents (including first M2+ airliner).

Whenever the subject of the Tu-144 comes up, I'm reminded (and ashamed) of the schadenfreude expressed by my aerodynamics lecturer at uni (a Pole, who shall be nameless) when teaching us the morning after the Paris crash which killed 8 people on the ground, including 3 kids, as well as the crew.

The Ancient Geek
31st Jan 2019, 16:38
Someone added too much lightness.
It should not be possible to pull the wings off in a steep turn.

BoostTheBoost
31st Jan 2019, 17:24
Didn't I read somewhere that they "removed" the limits to the elevons to make a more impressive flight demonstration? That's what caused the canard failures?

RHSandLovingIt
31st Jan 2019, 18:41
Concordski 2.0. YGBSM
Username checks out. :}

Rocket2
31st Jan 2019, 19:06
"Didn't I read somewhere that they "removed" the limits to the elevons to make a more impressive flight demonstration? That's what caused the canard failures?"

That or trying to avoid the Mirage(?) that was allegedly flying in & out of the cloud above photographing it.

Saw it the day before when it was first on line ahead of Concorde, the next day they swapped slots. Not biased but the Concorde display was far more energetic than the 144 on the Saturday. Whatever caused it it was a tragic accident.

DroneDog
31st Jan 2019, 19:25
I hope they build it, it will force the West into building our own.

c52
31st Jan 2019, 20:19
So Mr Putin sees a bomber and wonders if it can carry passengers instead of bombs, and Mr Tupolev says, Why! What a wonderful idea, Mr President! I wish my design team was as brilliant as you!

boguing
31st Jan 2019, 23:43

Watching the last Concord flights into Heathrow, my 7 year old son said 'I'm going to design the replacement'.

He's in his 3rd year of AeroEng now. Masters next.

jantar99
1st Feb 2019, 05:33
Mr Tupolev is long gone, unfortunately

reverserunlocked
1st Feb 2019, 08:09
Meanwhile, hasn’t Cityjet just parked the last SSJ? Comes to something when your jet is outclassed by CRJs and a bunch of ancient Jumbolinos.

DaveReidUK
1st Feb 2019, 08:53
Meanwhile, hasn’t Cityjet just parked the last SSJ? Comes to something when your jet is outclassed by CRJs and a bunch of ancient Jumbolinos.

Yes - three are parked at Shannon, two at Dublin and the other pair have gone back to Venice.

A shame as they were reportedly popular with passengers, but let down by a combination of technical issues and allegedly abysmal product support.

meleagertoo
1st Feb 2019, 11:22
That 'info' comes from a far from credible source though. The content of that webite is ony marginally higher than Sunday Sport.
It's gonna happen, apparently, because Putain suggested a Tu160 could be converted into an airliner! Aha! The Great Leader has spoken! And with such technical insight and authority too!

DaveReidUK
1st Feb 2019, 12:05
That 'info' comes from a far from credible source though. The content of that webite is ony marginally higher than Sunday Sport.
It's gonna happen, apparently, because Putain suggested a Tu160 could be converted into an airliner! Aha! The Great Leader has spoken! And with such technical insight and authority too!

The article does contain the following quote:

"The United Aviation Corporation (UAC) will develop Russia’s newest supersonic passenger jet starting 2022, according to the Russian Ministry of Industry"

But then again, if you're the head of a Government ministry in today's Russia, it's probably a good idea to tell the President what he wants to hear. :O

Less Hair
1st Feb 2019, 12:17
I think what the minister said is that he will decide within three years IF at all they launch it or not.

Brat
1st Feb 2019, 14:53
Fake News??

DaveReidUK
1st Feb 2019, 15:45
I think what the minister said is that he will decide within three years IF at all they launch it or not.

I'd be surprised if he hasn't decided already, in the hope that three years down the line Vladimir will have forgotten all about it. :O

Super VC-10
2nd Feb 2019, 15:59
They could at least try and get the company's name right. It's the United Aircraft Corporation ( Объединённая авиастроительная корпорация )

Bend alot
2nd Feb 2019, 21:58
So I guess the next logical tweet will be

" New supersonic passenger jet by end of 2019. This jet is fast, very fast. I have decided to base it on the SR-71, but with passengers - that's how fast it is. It was my idea, it will happen - it will be great".

abgd
3rd Feb 2019, 01:06
You may jest, but there was consideration of putting a passenger compartment in the Valkyrie.

horizon flyer
3rd Feb 2019, 19:23
The Russian stole the plans for Concorde but the intelligent services fed them the wrong plans, so they built the wrong wing shape for super sonic cruise and then they used fixed engine inlets, as on fighters, good for supersonic dash but not for long term cruise. They then tried to buy, from the French, the variable engine intake technology, which gave Concorde the range, at supersonic speeds. The TU144 only had a range of about 1500 miles, so useless.

Volume
4th Feb 2019, 07:01
Will make sure the market is too small for both, so both will fail in the end... Déja vue...

They then tried to buy, from the French, the variable engine intake technology
Some russian military jets had quite advanced variable engine intake technology...

You may jest, but there was consideration of putting a passenger compartment in the Valkyrie.
The Russian Valkyre was called T4 (https://www.tripadvisor.de/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g298484-d4062320-i293981823-Your_Moscow_Guide_Driver-Moscow_Central_Russia.html)...

GlobalNav
4th Feb 2019, 17:29
Supersonic airline development is another tried and tested method of making small fortunes out of large ones. It is a wonderfully effective black hole for capital investment and can go on for decades without producing anything viable. A perfect place to focus Russian commercial aviation resources.

How many different efforts (including supersonic biz jet) have been underway, somewhat quietly, in the USA for the last 25 years? Sooner or later something is bound to bear fruit.

evansb
4th Feb 2019, 19:13
Exactly. Just like flying cars and commercial airships.

GlobalNav
6th Feb 2019, 15:37
Well, they (Boeing) won't stop trying. SST, HSCT and now Aerion? Aerion has been at it for a long long time. First flight by 2023? Maybe. Certification by 2025, yeah right. They would have to suffer through endless rule making (special conditions), which would unlikely be done by 2025. Good luck with that, the 787 took that long.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-invests-in-advanced-supersonic-business-jet/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Morning+Brief+2-6-19_2_6_2019&utm_term=