PDA

View Full Version : The Best PPRuNe Fly-In EVER 2. Sywell, Sat 05th October 02.

Pages : [1] 2

BRL
1st Aug 2002, 13:40
Right then. Suggestions please for the next PPRuNe fly-in. September would be good so place your suggestions here.........
Also consider October, AerBabe can only make it then.

Over to you........... :)

ETOPS773
1st Aug 2002, 13:48
C`mon darn sarf!!

Shoreham??Sandown??Goodwood??

sennadog
1st Aug 2002, 13:56
My vote goes to Sandown or Goodwood but I could be persuaded to do Sywell - decisive I know.:D

Additionally, we should have two weekends in mind given the vagaries of the weather, so how about September 21st, 22nd, 28th or the 29th?

When we have a reasonable response maybe we should put the venue and the date to a vote/poll so it is reasonably democratic!

Either way, I'll be there.

Regards, Sennadog.

AerBabe
1st Aug 2002, 14:13
I've already said September is no good for me. If everyone can make October I should be able to come though.

The problem with having a fly-in in the South is that for anyone up here it's expensive. Can't we find somewhere a bit more central? (like Sywell ;) )

Evo7
1st Aug 2002, 14:38
Goodwood :)

Alternatively, as I'm probably not going to have my licence by then - but will have done the test :rolleyes: - anyone got a spare seat...?

sennadog
1st Aug 2002, 14:39
Yep, probably will have a spare seat Evo.

Evo7
1st Aug 2002, 14:45
Cheers sennadog. Sold :D :D

foghorn
1st Aug 2002, 14:55
Can we have somewhere with a hard runway please? AA5's are not brilliant grass machines especially on wet UK grass.

Other than that I'm up for it as long as it is late September and I can lift two peeps from Biggin Hill who will be treated to my crummy visual appraoches (only kidding - or am I ;))

cheers!
foggy.

RotorHorn
1st Aug 2002, 15:04
I think Sywell is getting a tarmac runway...

I'm free (or at least value for money) September or October.

so Sywell and October is favourite for me.

Whirlybird
1st Aug 2002, 15:09
I'll be in Russia 13th-22nd September, but after that is good for me. Sywell is good for me, and we've had one in the South already, so somewhere fairly central is a good idea. If I'm going I may have a spare seat in an R22.

WeatherJinx
1st Aug 2002, 16:32
WxJx up for it too...will also fly out from EGKB...or maybe cost-share w/you Foghorn??? drop me a line if you're interested...

WxJx:cool:

Aussie Andy
1st Aug 2002, 16:33
I vote Goodwood. Why not add a poll with half a dozen SE England airfields on it.

Andy

Ground Loop
1st Aug 2002, 16:46
How about Bidford Airfield, Bidford on Avon.

Very friendly airfield with good food and a bar with some accomodation on site and B&B near by. Could turn this in to a Bash, if people wanted to make a weekend of it. :)

dublinpilot
1st Aug 2002, 17:26
Weston??? Just on the edge of Dublin city, and equally distant from North & South UK?

Ok.....ok.....I know....but it was worth a try;) ;)

1.3VStall
1st Aug 2002, 17:51
How about Wellesbourne? Central England, tarmac runway (not ideal for the Jodel, but I'll cope!). Friendly reception and an excellent cafe.

EI_Sparks
1st Aug 2002, 17:53
I'll second Weston, since it's no longer certain that it'll be there next year :(
Though given my status as SPL wannabe, it'll be a drive-in for me :)

AerBabe
1st Aug 2002, 18:38
Wellesbourne was still grass last time I checked ...

Diplomate
1st Aug 2002, 21:06
Hi All

I'd be interested in joining you guys if all are welcome. How about Blackpool, Isle of Man, or Kirkbride. If you want to venture a bit further, Campbeltown is a great place too (if you can afford the fuel to taxi down the runway!! - it's about the same length as LHR).

distaff_beancounter
1st Aug 2002, 21:18
Wellesbourne was still grass last time I checked .... Do you mean someone has nicked all the tarmac, since the last time I droped in there? :confused:

Wycombe
1st Aug 2002, 21:20
Providing I can book that shiny (not quite so) new 172 again, I'll be up for this.

Sywell & Wellesbourne sound like good suggestions - would be happy with anywhere within approx 1hr of EGTB (so Goodwood, Shoreham, Compton etc would all be fine if somewhere more Southerly was preffered by the majority).

Cheers

distaff_beancounter
1st Aug 2002, 21:34
Can we have somewhere with a hard runway please? AA5's are not brilliant grass machines especially on wet UK grass Oh, go on ... & you with a CPL/IR :D

So long as they choose somewhere with a reasonable smooth bit of grass, with min 600m (eg Goodwood, Compton Abbas, Old Sarum, Sandown, Rochester) I'll try & be there with either a AA5B or AG5B & we will see who can best demonstrate, just how good these beasts are at bouncey landings! ;)

Or, I may chicken out & arrive in an Archer III, instead :D

long final
1st Aug 2002, 23:50
Wellesbourne has the runway and good catering type stuff ( my apologies if Sywell has also ) and is only 5 miles to Stratford. Gets my vote. Then again, so does Weston.

LF

Fujiflyer
2nd Aug 2002, 06:31
Shoreham for me :) though I understand the concerns about keeping it "central" for everyone :cool:

Sounds like October might be better for us (don't want to miss Whirly or Aerbabe do we? :D

Ace Rimmer
2nd Aug 2002, 06:47
OO Er can we make it not Shoreham - otherwise it'll be twice round the patch and in fer me. Now to get this past Mrs R - thinks wait a minute October - - Saturday - Hockey season - no worries – I'm in if work dosent get in the way...

foghorn
2nd Aug 2002, 07:57
distaff_beancounter

Oh, go on ... & you with a CPL/IR

If it ain't got an ILS I don't do it anymore ;) ;) ;)

OK, looks like the gaunlet had been thrown down (mine's an AA5B btw). BOING!!!

Grim Reaper 14
2nd Aug 2002, 09:09
I'm proud to say that this is my first posting on a fly-in thread, so I'm happy to accommodate most locations and dates (but would prefer somewhere 'darn sarf':)

FormationFlyer
2nd Aug 2002, 09:37
I think Sywell would be nice while its still tarmac - and they do have excellent catering facilities....But anywhere is fine really.

Anyone need a lift from Brize!? A date would be good as well so I can book an aircraft...

foghorn
2nd Aug 2002, 10:20
Have Sywell laid their tarmac runway, then?

BRL
2nd Aug 2002, 10:22
Ok, I will nominate Sywell in the first weekend of October.
How about that?

eveepee
2nd Aug 2002, 11:03
Foghorn :

I'd like to be considered for the spare seat - would love to go to my first fly-in:) Won't be much help though, I'm VERY used to bouncy landings and any approach will look good to me ! (still on circuits and likely to be for some time!!) Obviously willing to share costs.

foxmoth
2nd Aug 2002, 11:44
How about trying one across the channel, ie. Le Touquet?

LowNSlow
2nd Aug 2002, 12:58
Sywell on the 5/6th October gets my vote cos it's 4 days before my Star Annual.

foghorn
2nd Aug 2002, 13:24
foxmoth: good call! let's go to Le Touqs

distaff_beancounter
2nd Aug 2002, 14:12
I am always game for Le Touquet.

foghorn will be happy 'cos LeT's nice new ILS/DME is fully operational, & the main runway is long enough for us in our AA5B/AG5B's to demonstrate several bounces & bounce recoveries :D

(I am only good at bounce recoveries, 'cos I had so much practice recovering from my own pilot induced bounces, when I did my PPL in an AA5A :rolleyes: )

foghorn
2nd Aug 2002, 14:39
Wayhey I'll do an airways trip, then ;););)

Le Touqs have had the pleasure of my bounces before ;)

BOING BOING BOING
foggy.

Ace Rimmer
2nd Aug 2002, 14:46
Let's hear it for Le tooks:D

sennadog
2nd Aug 2002, 15:12
Geography Compromise:

I vote for Sywell as it's central although I would prefer a more southerly venue.:D

Skills Compromise:

I would like to do a trip to Le Touquet but to be honest it's a bit out of my league at the moment and I'm not sure about others who have just passed their PPL.

Runway Compromise:

Well, the longer the better - nuff said.:D I'll opt for grass as I'm used to it.

Date Compromise:

I'd prefer September as there is a better chance of good weather but I'll go with the flow on October but I reckon we should have two dates in case WX isn't on our side.

AerBabe
2nd Aug 2002, 15:47
First weekend in October is good for me! Sod it, if I'm still in the lab I'll darn well have a day off. Hurrumph. Shall we keep the second weekend free too, as Sennadog suggested, just in case the wx isn't up to scratch? Erm... can I be awkward and say the Saturday of the second weekend? Sorry for being so fussy :o

Oh, and I'll have a spare seat if anyone wants to experience one of my landings :eek:

AerBabe
2nd Aug 2002, 15:50
Better make that two landings, unless you're too scared to come back with me :D

TheKentishFledgling
2nd Aug 2002, 16:00
Hope I can make it!

Might be looking for a spare seat from Kent (more than willing to cost share!) or COULD train it.

This one gonna be an overnight trip?

tKF

AerBabe
2nd Aug 2002, 16:03
There is accomodation at Sywell, but it's not cheap. Does anyone know about pitching a tent on/near the field? I guess I could just about curl up in the back of the C152 :D

TheKentishFledgling
2nd Aug 2002, 16:52
The tent option is one I´d favour, as I got a new tent for my birthday last week, mainly for the purpose of using it at Rallies, fly-ins etc.

Now I´m just waiting for an opportunity to use it :)

tKF

AerBabe
2nd Aug 2002, 17:38
Someone sorted out a webpage for Popham where we could sign up with callsign, PPRuNe name, where we were flying from, how many spare seats etc etc. Can that person do the same again please, or post where the site? I see we've already got a couple of candidates for RHS: eveepee and KF :)

Evo7
2nd Aug 2002, 17:47
FFF did it last time - where is he, anyway...?

Fujiflyer
2nd Aug 2002, 19:24
Can't wait for another fly-in - I missed the Popham one because I had to take a "weather opportunity" so I could get across Europe (VFR). Sywell, October sounds a fair compromise - I like the idea of Le Touquet however this is clearly going to be even more difficult for those north of Leamington Spar ;)

However if it was to be at Shoreham... :rolleyes: :p

FujiF

(BRL, did you get my email?)

Whirlybird
2nd Aug 2002, 20:05
Sywell, October 5th/6th is good for me. Oct 12 is the BWPA AGM, 13th is OK.

So is this definite yet?

AerBabe
2nd Aug 2002, 20:32
FFF wasn't the one that set up the database. He's at Bristol at the moment, doing ATPL groundschool.

How about the 19/20 October as the back up? You around that weekend Whirly?

dublinpilot
2nd Aug 2002, 20:42
Any one interested in going from Ireland?

A quick look at my may reveals Sywell to be about 220nm from Dublin.

That's about 5 hours at 100kt...allowing for bits and pieces.

If 2 or 3 others are interested...

TheKentishFledgling
3rd Aug 2002, 12:06
http://www.aircraftbooking.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=40 I think is what we want :)

HTH,
tKF

Whirlybird
3rd Aug 2002, 12:09
19th/20th October is fine for me. :)

AerBabe
3rd Aug 2002, 12:14
Nice one TKF :)

LowNSlow
3rd Aug 2002, 13:44
Yes indeed TKF. :cool:

All booked in and there's a spare seat if anybody wants a lift from the LTN area :)

paulo
3rd Aug 2002, 19:28
AerBabe, err, I'll admit Wellesbourne is mostly grass.

All apart from those couple of stripey black bits that cross each other in the middle. What's that all about? :)

AerBabe
3rd Aug 2002, 21:07
Yeah yeah okay... so I'm a muppet. :rolleyes:
Flibble.
Can I go to bed now? :D (and stay there?)

paulo
3rd Aug 2002, 21:22
AerBabe... feel the shame, if only cos' you've quite accurately described the tricky approach to three-six before now. ;)

expedite_climb
3rd Aug 2002, 21:27
dublinpilot...

You've just reminded me of a great flying club away trip to dublin (weston) back in june 1999. Those were the days !!!

Do you still have those big trees on the appr to the easterly rwy ?

Keef
3rd Aug 2002, 23:31
There's one fewer tree on the Weston approach now. We collected a chunk of one on the way in last year.

We sat there afterwards and marked the trees on our approach plate (cleaning the foliage out of the undercart the nonce).

So where's the fly-in and when? Can't do Sundays (have to work).

AerBabe
4th Aug 2002, 07:30
Looks like Sywell on the first or third weekend in October.

Follow TKF's link (http://www.aircraftbooking.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=40) :)

dublinpilot
4th Aug 2002, 09:55
Expedite climb- yea.. big tree approaching 07.

However 25 is in use 90% of time.

Anyway with 890m of ashpalt who needs to worry about the first few meters??? Not me anyway:D

Coke611
4th Aug 2002, 11:48
I would go guys- but I'm not going to have my license till late next year! I'm going to do one of those week-intensive courses around May/June time 2003 I think.

Maybe next year!

stiknruda
4th Aug 2002, 12:36
I've registered but have not filled out the aircraft details as Oct is my month to look after the pushpak, so I may bring that instead of the Pitts, then I can let some of you experience her, too!

Stik

foghorn
4th Aug 2002, 16:49
Weather Jinx, Eveepee, e -mail me regarding places in from Biggin Hill. Address in profile.

cheers!
foggy.

MikeSamuel
4th Aug 2002, 17:21
If you've got a spare AB... ;)

See you're taking C152...at least you know they won't have sold it by the time you get round to flying ;)

Genghis the Engineer
4th Aug 2002, 18:27
I'll add my vote for Sywell in early October. Much later is pressing our luck, and any further South is a bit unsporting on all the Northerners. Popham was great and Southern so let's follow it up by a great one in the middle. Maybe next year we can follow it up with something good in the North, East, or West.

G

Ludwig
5th Aug 2002, 09:23
Just for the avoidance of doubt peeps, Sywell is all grass. It does have permission for a hard runway (probably be concrete) but no sign of it yet - don't hold your breath. If it rains in October expect it to be a quagmire! Also if you have a tailwheel, bring a spare as the runways as a rough as hell as they have been mole ploughed.

There is a motel on the airfield and if you order you food about now, it will probably be ready for October. I have seen people pitch a tent under their aircraft so it is possible.

Negative Charlie
5th Aug 2002, 12:53
And if you value your nose/tail wheel, don't land on the centre line!

Grim Reaper 14
5th Aug 2002, 13:42
Haven't done yet......:rolleyes:

distaff_beancounter
5th Aug 2002, 13:42
I think I'll go by car .....
.... Second thoughts, better make it a 4 x 4 :D

LowNSlow
5th Aug 2002, 14:12
So the runways are worse than the infamous White Waltham Washboards? :eek:

Anybody got something positive to say about Sywell? :confused:

Ludwig
5th Aug 2002, 14:57
It's central

Aussie Andy
5th Aug 2002, 15:44
Sywell's lovely, IMHO! Very nice bar ;)

AerBabe
5th Aug 2002, 15:54
Why is everyone picking on Sywell?! S'lovely :)
Main problem I find with it is that they have the radio on a PA system. Watch those calls, cos if you screw up everyone will have heard :D

Took my mate there for lunch a couple of months ago, and we were listening to the R/T. He noticed the phrase "at your discretion" and I explained the difference between services. He came up with a great example of a call that might be made:
"Plummet out of the sky in an uncontrolled manner. At your discretion"
Made me chuckle ;)

Ace Rimmer
5th Aug 2002, 16:08
So the runways are a bit bumpy eh? Ever tried Redhill you don't rotate you just accelerate and eventually you hit a bump big enough to chuck you into the air!
Of course the 1st fly-in was at Popham which has really wide long flat tarmac runways with a standard circut and we had a really crap time right!?!!

AerBabe
5th Aug 2002, 16:31
Hey... I didn't see you at Popham :( Maybe this time I should spend more time on the ground :)

Whirlybird
5th Aug 2002, 18:29
What's everyone going on about? ALL grass runways are a bit bumpy. So what? Yes, if it's really really wet it could be a problem, but not otherwise. Do you lot really HAVE to have tarmac to land on? Call yourself pilots? :D

And yes, I have been to Sywell, and it was in a plank-wing, not a helicopter. Lovely place!

gaffney3
5th Aug 2002, 22:10
dublinpilot
I would be interested in joining you for the fly in.
I fly out of trim, if it ever stops raining and can get back in the air.
Email me with your details.
Sywell is a nice airfield, bar is good, motel acceptable and interesting aircraft in the hangers.
gaffney3

stiknruda
6th Aug 2002, 10:07
Gaffney3

Flying out of trim can not be very efficient!:D :D

dublinpilot
6th Aug 2002, 10:16
Sorry Gaffney3.

Booked my holiday over the weekend. Off to the US. Not back until Mon 7th Oct.

Though if you are interested next time!!!
(Or if weather delays flyin 4 a week??)

Ace Rimmer
6th Aug 2002, 13:36
AerBabe:
Oh yeah I was there BRL's chauffer or he was my human TCAS whichever way you want to look at it.!

DamienB
6th Aug 2002, 15:42
Regarding accomodation for Sywell... if you can't afford on-site then about 5 minutes away by taxi there's an Ibis hotel - 01933 228333 - 30 quid per room at the weekends. It's next to a McDonalds and Beefeater pub off the A45/A509 roundabout.

djk
6th Aug 2002, 20:08
I'll have to give this one a miss as I'll only have just got back from the US

Valiant
7th Aug 2002, 11:39
I'm hoping to be able to make it this time. It'll just be a short hop for me from Hinton.
My brother-n-law flies helicopters from Sywell, maybe I can drag him along so Whirlybird will have somebody to talk R22s with! :)

RotorHorn
7th Aug 2002, 12:25
I'll hoping to make this (my first fly-in)!

Hoping to bring my twin brother as he's a regular at Sywell (Sloane's do the maintenance for his bosses A109 Power).

I'll be in an R22 or R44 depending on how many people want a lift from Blackpool, and if they don't mind cost-sharing. (LongFinal/VeeAny - you boys fancy a seat each?)

Anyway - I've stuck me details on the Hangar bulletin board.

regards from sunny (not) Blackpool.

RH

Penguina
7th Aug 2002, 17:19
Anyone from anywhere near London interested in a highly enthusiastic map-reading blonde passenger/TCAS?! (I'll even make silly whoop whoop noises if desired!)

Keef
7th Aug 2002, 19:04
Penguina - if Sahfend "Sharon & Tracey International" (EGMC) is within range, there are seats available in G-UTSY. See the "booking" website as set up by tKF.

First come, first accommodated and all that.

sennadog
8th Aug 2002, 07:34
Well, have they? I don't know what the procedures are for this type of thing but it strikes me that they are going to have an awful lot of aircraft descending on them in October. Will there be enough room for everyone?

BlueRobin
8th Aug 2002, 10:09
Aerbabe, Wellesbourne, grass? :D It's always been tarmac. We're only down the road from Coventry ;)

BlueRobin
8th Aug 2002, 10:18
I'll have a try at getting there. Would be nice to meet Keef :p

Whirlybird
8th Aug 2002, 10:41
sennadog,

Sywell's BIG. This isn't a little grass strip we're talking about; they'll cope.

Still, always a good idea to let airfield's know about fly-ins, so someone probably should tll them sometime.

Penguina
8th Aug 2002, 12:07
Having problems figuring out the fly-in booking site; is it possible to reserve a place, or are these things done by e-mail?

The scarecrow's song from The Wizard of Oz springs to mind.........

:confused:

BlueRobin
8th Aug 2002, 12:15
Mr Penguin,

It's not very obvious how to put an entry on the fly-in list. Look on the bottom frame. See the number of small buttons? Third from the right "join the fly-in"

Yours etc

Pilot of the Blue Robin

BRL
8th Aug 2002, 12:21
I have just called Frank Bird about it but he isn't there today. I will try again tommorow to get hold of him.
In the meantime, have a look at this.....Sywell web-site. (http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/aviation.html) :)

AerBabe
8th Aug 2002, 12:39
BlueRobin... what can I say?

D'oh. :D

I blame it all on FlyingForFun. He wanted to fly up this way a few weeks ago, and thought Wellesbourne was grass. Did I laugh at him? Of course I did! So why did I then think it was grass? Probably too much chemical exposure in the lab that day.

Penguina
8th Aug 2002, 16:25
Blue Robin,

Mmm, but that's for pilots wanting to sign up. I was trying to add my name to a list of passengers. Never mind, I might have a licence by then anyway.

It's a female penguin, by the way.

FlyingForFun
8th Aug 2002, 17:02
Sorry for anyone who missed me over the last few weeks (yeah, like anyone except Evo even noticed :D ) As AerBabe said, I've been away doing some ATPL groundschool, then doing the first 8 exams. I think I've passed at least five or six of them, with two or three that I may have just scraped through, so please keep your fingers crossed for me!

In the mean time, you've all gone and arranged a fly-in without me! Well, ok, so I did have my spies keeping me up to date with (most of) what was going on - thanks AerBabe! But I'd never had voted for Sywell - the weather's guaranteed to be crap if I try to fly there! First time I ever went there I arrived without any problems, but had an "interesting" flight back, dodging between about a half a dozen different rain showers, nearly diverting several times, before eventually breaking clear of the weather - it was certainly hard work for someone who had only got his PPL a couple of months earlier! Second time I tried to go to Sywell I never even made it - vis was forecast at 5km and improving, but was actually 5km and deteriorating. Got to Northampton, only to find a huge bank of cloud directly over the city, with no way past. Turned around, but had the mid-day sun in my eyes, couldn't see a bl00dy thing! Diverted to Cranfield, and it was 3 days before the weather improved enough to bring the plane home!

Anyway, that aside, of course I'll be there! Should be flying the Europa, and will have one spare seat from White Waltham - e-mail me if you're interested. Have posted my details on the fly-in website. See you all there!

:) :) :)

FFF
------------

sennadog
12th Aug 2002, 13:14
So that's 12 aircraft. I'm assuming that the 707 isn't turning up.:D

LowNSlow
13th Aug 2002, 09:00
Penguina I'll be going from the North London area, OK Luton area if you can get up here.

FFF it sounds like you should stay at home so that you don't jinx the weather :D :D : D

Some Moth type bods I know fly in there all the time and none have commented on the runway surfaces.....

buzby15
13th Aug 2002, 09:23
Hi all, new to this particular forum but hope to be able to make 5 October. can't get there till lunchtime/early afternoon as working Friday night :( Will probably have 3 spare seats from Goodwood if anyone interested. Look forward to meeting people on the 5th.

Who has control?
13th Aug 2002, 10:01
I'll try & make it from North Weald - normal caveats of weather, aircraft availability apply.

I'll have 1 or 2 spare seats.

Heres the booking form link again

Booking Form (http://www.aircraftbooking.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=40)

JayCeeEll
14th Aug 2002, 11:06
Room for one more not so litte one?

I'm hoping to come from Bournemouth

I have 2 spare seats available in a PA28-140; any good navigators about? :D

JCL

Wycombe
14th Aug 2002, 11:49
Hi John,

See you've signed up for Sywell (which means we all get to look jealously at GOTO), so I guess you'll find out who I am!! (I'm referring back to the "new club at EGLK" thread of a few weeks ago).

Did you get my email?

I'm sure you'll remember me from European Flyers, mid'90's.

I'll hopefully be in G-WACM again (for those that remember it from Popham) - a nice new C172SP.

Cheers

Taildragger
15th Aug 2002, 23:14
Evenin' Prooners..... am fercking confoosed now. Can somebody just state the agreed date and I will bring the big dragger there.
It knows its own way to Sywell, and the Hotel is well worth a visit for the artifacts alone. Bit of British Aviation history there.
Babe....... joined the mile high club yet.?? It ONLY counts if it is in a Taildragger.

RotorHorn
16th Aug 2002, 10:57
TD - think the date is in the thread title...;)

AerBabe
16th Aug 2002, 17:36
Taildragger, what kind of a girl do you think I am?? :eek:

Of course it has to be in a taildragger ;) :D

Taildragger
17th Aug 2002, 12:41
Babe..... My apohloggies. I should have known.
Just one prob.....It has to have an autopilot really.....DC3 perhaps.??

skua
17th Aug 2002, 17:41
I will try to get there. Please tell John Varndell I am looking forward to seeing him again.

Skua

(The human being in JPOT)

Stampe
18th Aug 2002, 09:52
Subject to my as yet unpublished roster will try and get there in either my Condor G-AXGZ or the Britannia PA28 G-CBAL.Fingers crossed for the WX.!!!

sunnysideup
19th Aug 2002, 16:21
Just booked in the Antonov An2.

There are nine seats + a spare co-pilots spot. Could alternate the P2. Small donations to the 45 gallons req to get there and back from Wellesbourne would be gratefully received!!

(Contrary to popular belief, 2nd mortages not required!!)

iflyhighinthesky
19th Aug 2002, 18:43
Just what I was going to say. Sywell won't have a tarmac runway for a while yet. Wellesbourne is a great airfield, and extremely friendly, and yes as for the cafe!!! Fantastic food!

AerBabe
19th Aug 2002, 21:24
Sunny - I'm tempted to fly the short hop over to Wellesbourne and take you up on that. Any idea on the size of the donation?

sunnysideup
20th Aug 2002, 10:44
AerBabe

Antonov An2 there and back fuel donation = £200ish divided by no. of people.

(eg - full load £20 each, me and thee £100 but you'll be at the sharp end for the whole trip)

You can email me from here.

BlueRobin
20th Aug 2002, 11:20
Hire rates for that thing are about £600/hr??! Here's a photo of the AN2 earlier this year at Wellesbourne:

http://www.pbase.com/image/1772995/medium

sunnysideup
20th Aug 2002, 11:49
Just a note, the An2 is NOT for hire!! It does not do arial work, although it has a full German public cat cert , the CAA do not recognise the type for permission to use it for hire/charter type stuff in the UK (don't get me started...!!!!)

Just want to make sure the legals are clear!

Still bloody good fun though!!!!!!!!!

BlueRobin
20th Aug 2002, 13:06
Begs the question why Avon acquired the AN2 with a view to allowing PPLs to fly it! :eek: (just to be clear too: I did see them advertising so before the "troubles" earlier this year)

sunnysideup
20th Aug 2002, 14:44
Its like this.

The Sywell thing sounds like a lot of fun. So I want to fly over there in my favorite toy and join in, as a private flight.

If anyone one wants to join me, I'd be glad of the company (and, yes, the capitalist pig in me says help with the fuel bill wouldn't go amiss).

I also think the An2 is a "must do at least once thing", like an Extra, Tiger Moth, Stearman, JP, etc etc etc. So I'm happy if people want to do it then. Don't see why I should keep the fun to myself.

BlueRobin (Sigh...)
I can't comment (or reply) on what else I do with the An2 as it would break pprune rules on advertising. Mentioning Avon and so called "troubles", as someone from their direct competition on the airfield and possibly ill informed, could send you down a real no no road on pprune - see recent stickies on liablous content.

Been there...done that. Lets leave it there shall we, we're all friends at Wellesbourne airfield. We have to be to all pile into that excellent Cafe at lunchtime together.

No requirement for reply. I've sent you a private message to explain further. You are 100yds down the road. Pop in and say Hi if you need any further clarification.

I have no objection to this post and Blue Robins preceeding post being deleted, in order to ensure no pprune rules are broken.

Lets keep the thread on track, eh??

:D

BlueRobin
21st Aug 2002, 09:21
Teehee, sorry :)

Well, if it's cheap, I'd love to come along in the AN2. I did want to take the Robin onto the grass at Sywell for my first time, but hey that can wait for another day.

sunnysideup
21st Aug 2002, 09:35
BlueRobin - no worries mate

See my earlier post for fuel costs, which donations to would be gratefully rxed. However many we go with, it will be less cash money than hiring any aircraft from any school.

Thats me, and possibly AerBabe and BlueRobin - anyone else for a vodka and oil on 5th???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extra 300 pilot on seeing the An2 - "Its big, its ugly, and I wouldn't want to **** it!!!"

BlueRobin
21st Aug 2002, 14:03
I would've thought they'd be queuing up with a certain female pilot in the back..? :D

BRL
21st Aug 2002, 14:10
Sunnysideup Is there any chance of a go while you are at Sywell? :)

AerBabe
21st Aug 2002, 14:35
Ooh... who's the surprise guest BlueRobin?
Actually if I come you can safely assume that Mike Samuel will be coming, cos he always follows me round ;) :p When do you want to know by?

sunnysideup
21st Aug 2002, 15:57
No rush but could do with knowing earlier rather than later. I've got a few pals who wouldn't mind just sitting in the back if theres any spare space after ppruners have confirmed.

Big Red L
Can't see why we can't play with it at Sywell.

wet wet wet
21st Aug 2002, 16:24
SunnySideUp

I believe that the ANO (in section 130) limits PPL cost sharing flights to no more than 4 people. Sorry to be a spoilsport.

sunnysideup
21st Aug 2002, 16:35
German reg = German grandfather rights.

ie. no restrictions on cost sharing

Can cost share with 400 people if I'd got an Airbus

LowNSlow
21st Aug 2002, 22:35
sunnysideup can I be the first to put my name down for a cost sharing and hopefully 5 mins in the P2 seat trip around Sywell's countryside?

Loony_Pilot
22nd Aug 2002, 19:16
Hiya,

Well.. I'll pop up as its only 30 mins or so from Cranfield

LP
xxx

OBK!
23rd Aug 2002, 11:18
Sherburn in elmet....biggest members club in the north, on-airfield restaurant/bar, **NEW TARMAC RUNWAY**.

Any comments?

sunnysideup
24th Aug 2002, 09:25
LowNslow - no probs - see you there.

BlueRobin - meet you as per email

Aerbabe - (and league of followers) - let me know yeh or nay when you can

MikeSamuel
25th Aug 2002, 09:18
*mumbles at AB in a threatening manner* :p

Yes, I will be there which ever way I suppose, as long as it involves flying and costs less than £100 or so.

Girl Flyday
28th Aug 2002, 08:45
Count me in - not sure if we'll be arriving by air or road yet - but I do rather fancy having a little bit of a play with with sunny's pride and joy... :D

sunnysideup
28th Aug 2002, 22:05
GF - No worries

I'll go thru my emails closer to the 5th October and see who's coming with me to and/or from Sywell and who wants to play at the bash.

Got to get the bloody thing to Germany for its annual this weekend. Hope it passes muster!!

Girl Flyday
29th Aug 2002, 12:11
Thanks, and fingers crossed then - it's an amazing aircraft! :)

LowNSlow
1st Sep 2002, 08:07
I'm off to Sywell today to see how rough the runways really are and will report back this evening.

If anybody else is there, I'll be in Auster G-AHAM.

LowNSlow
1st Sep 2002, 20:55
The runways are fine, as bumpy as you'd expect grass to be. The C152's and PA-28's didn't seem to have any problems either.

Nice clubhouse and facilities, shame about the £10 landing fee..... although they probably go hand in hand.

Looking forward to the fly-in.

AerBabe
1st Sep 2002, 21:06
Yes, C152 is no problem. I've taken one in about four times now. Yes, it's bumpy, but the grass is always kept short, and I've never had any trouble. In fact students with my flying group often go there on first solo landaway. Now, Husbands Bosworth on the other hand... :eek: :D

foghorn
3rd Sep 2002, 08:34
Well, as my Tiger is out of commission for the next few months due to a runway excursion (not with me in it), I definitely won't be flying to the fly-in.

I'll have to check my diary also, as I'm planning to finish off my FI(R) rating about that time (weekends only), so I might not be able to afford too many weekends.

So, all in all, I think I'm going to have to miss this fly-in. Have a good one, y'all!

foggy.

Who has control?
6th Sep 2002, 10:38
Bad luck foghorn - hope it gets better soon.

I was just wading though the morass thats known as the NOTAMS site when I came across this:-

"Northampton NDB 'NN' inactive from 02/09/04 until 02/11/30 L1734/02"

It won't affect me as the Koala Bear doesn't have an ADF, but if you were planning to use the beacon, you might not wish to. Can any locals please confirm that the beacon is not working?

AerBabe
6th Sep 2002, 17:34
Sorry, I have no idea, although if I remember I'll try and check tomorrow. Sywell is pretty easy to find from here, so I've never bothered using the ADF. Northampton is pretty easy to spot, because the lift tower can be seen from miles away. Once you have the town you can find Pitsford Water. There is a bridge over the reservoir which points directly to Sywell :)

LowNSlow
11th Sep 2002, 11:23
Just checked who has booked in to come to the Sywell Fly-In.

Great to see AerBabe coming in her P-51 Mustang :cool: , well that was the first airplane to be called a spamcan (yes, really).

Also good to see that Dubya is coming in a 707 reg. N12GWB. :D

Oh yes, Dr. Who is coming in the Tardis. :D well a Rotorway Exec really.

AerBabe
11th Sep 2002, 12:40
Mate... if only you knew how much I wanted a P-51 Mustang :(

rotorcraig
11th Sep 2002, 18:44
Who has control? wrote "Can any locals please confirm that the beacon is not working?":

Yes, I fly from Sywell (is it okay to walk to a Fly-In??!!) and my understanding is that the beacon has not been working for some time now. I believe that the plan is to reinstate it when the all-weather runway 03/21 is installed.

Alternatively Sywell is on the 065 radial from Daventry VOR, range 14 Nautical miles.

Regards,

RC

LowNSlow
12th Sep 2002, 10:17
Do you really, really want a Mustang AerB?? Silly question really :rolleyes:

Now that you've started the taildragger thing are you going to move up to a Harvard then a 'Stang :D :D

AerBabe
12th Sep 2002, 12:53
Well, I was going to miss out the Harvard, cos that's a bit greedy. I thought I'd move onto the P-51 next, and then I'll aspire to an Auster ;)

LowNSlow
12th Sep 2002, 13:43
Well said that lass ;)

I think you'd enjoy the Harvard though cos they are loadsa fun with a big grumbly radial and the biggest stick (oh err sir) you can get your hands on :cool:

TheKentishFledgling
14th Sep 2002, 18:46
Thanks to Keef's kind offer, I'll now be seeing you all at Sywell!

Thanks, Keef!!

tKF

LowNSlow
15th Sep 2002, 04:01
Nice one TKF, see you there.

PS Is the FRED that Barry had still at Clipgate?

TheKentishFledgling
15th Sep 2002, 07:29
PS Is the FRED that Barry had still at Clipgate?

Yes, but it doesn't belong to Barry anymore. I think it was bought by a student PPL who has kept it at Clipgate until he's got his licence and built some hours flying tailwheels etc.

tKF

Girl Flyday
18th Sep 2002, 16:43
Are there a couple of seats left on the AN-2?

(Please nicely!)

GF

Keef
18th Sep 2002, 22:18
GF

TWO seats?

All sorts of thoughts are working through my mind, including "was one for me?"

C-dog
18th Sep 2002, 23:15
I'll try to make it down from Insch International in G-ARWR, a Cessna 172B (The one with no back window). Can only get 2 up with full fuel from Inch, any more would need picking up at Aberdeen.

Grass no problem - we occassionally had to use the grass taxiway here when 13/31 was out!

Cheers,

C-dog

dedstikyfingerz
19th Sep 2002, 09:03
Ill come if thats ok, what sort of a/c would u prefer? old and intetresting or new and sporty? Prob a spare seat from a location in the middle of england (aerobabe) if any one wants a ride! What sort of things do u all get up to? should i bring mi clubin gear or just mi 'ed sets. let me know.

p.s if auster is what u r aspiring to aerobabe, stick with the p51 they are much easier to fly!!!! pmsl.:rolleyes: :mad:

Who has control?
19th Sep 2002, 09:09
Just reposting the booking link

http://www.aircraftbooking.co.uk/flyin/main.php?find=40

FlyingForFun
19th Sep 2002, 09:20
Currently 24 aircraft registered on the site, arriving from 23 different airfields. Impressive :)

FFF
-----------

FNG
19th Sep 2002, 10:58
Will endeavour to come. Spare seat available in Cap 10 from Waltham or can pick up en route. Anyone welcome to the spare seat but those who like going upside down may get preference.

FlyingForFun
19th Sep 2002, 11:05
Nice one FNG - will contact you nearer the time to see if you want to fly down in lose formation.

As for going upside-down, how can anyone not like it! :D I might take you up on that once we get to Sywell. But I'll give preference to others, since I had the privilege of going upside-down with you at Popham, and once before too.

FFF
-----------

arrow2
19th Sep 2002, 13:06
Arrow booked for the day, I will try to be there! From Blackbushe with 1 passenger.

A2

LowNSlow
22nd Sep 2002, 04:20
Looks like I'm going to have to cancel I'm afraid due to family probs.

I'll leave my name on the list just in case though.

Romeo Romeo
22nd Sep 2002, 11:35
Sadly I've got to cry off as well. I'll try and get to the next one!

TheKentishFledgling
22nd Sep 2002, 19:18
Shame about that LNS :(

Let me know if you're ever Clipgate bound....

tKF

C-dog
24th Sep 2002, 23:07
Jeez,

Just looked at the map & realised how far south Sywell is. Thought this was a northern fly-in!!

In the event I make it I will need a fuel stop en-route. Any recommendations? - Newcastle used to be a QXC stop from up here but I hear there is mandatory handling charges now. Heathrow or what?

Any tips appreciated. Can pick up en route within reason if I travel.

LowNSlow
25th Sep 2002, 05:06
C-dog it's well North for us Southern Softies :D :D

At least you'll be heading into warm air ;)

Ace Rimmer
25th Sep 2002, 07:04
Just thought I'd mention got a spare seat in the Rimmer-mobile ex Shoreham if anybody's interested.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Sep 2002, 13:42
Just finally pulled my finger out and glad to say the Syndicate Warrior is still free.

So, 2 seats going from Popham if anybody wants a lift, departing Popham around 1000. Petrol contribution gratefully accepted if offered, won't worry if you're skint.

G

Genghis the Engineer
25th Sep 2002, 16:14
Separate point. I've just been reading the thread about Sywell getting closed on a whim for 2½days. Then phoned up a friend who is partner in one of the schools there to hear that it was even worse than the Pprune thread seems to indicate.

Could I humbly suggest we all agree on Cranfield as No.1 diversion just in case Sywell's manager decides to breach the ANO again, since it's probably the only nearby place big and friendly enough to take us all at no notice. (Note Cranfield is PPR to non-radio traffic, but anywhere else close-by is PPR to just about everybody).

G

FlyingForFun
25th Sep 2002, 16:26
Oh dear, I sense deja vue. The last time I diverted from Sywell to Cranfield, it took me 3 days to get out again. :eek:

Apart from that, it sounds like a good plan! :D

FFF
-----------

nonradio
25th Sep 2002, 17:11
Cranfield doesn't accept nonradio a/c anymore.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Sep 2002, 18:54
Just occurred to me, if you're inbound non-radio and they decide to close Sywell en-route, there's not a great deal they can do to stop you landing anyway. Red flares I suppose, but that would be a bit drastic!

G

Who has control?
26th Sep 2002, 08:39
I didn't realise that Sywell was closed for 2.5 DAYS!! I got the impression that it was only a few hours. That puts an entirely different complexion on things.

I think we need a Plan B.

Genghis has suggested Cranfield - which does have a co-located VOR for people who may be navigationally challenged (ME..ME!)
Could I suggest Little Gransden or Bourn.

BRL
26th Sep 2002, 08:58
Its up to you. Why not start a new poll with at least 4 alternative airfields?

Go for it, see what comes up.......

FNG
26th Sep 2002, 09:01
Bourn is a pleasant place but has very limited fuel and catering facilities.

Little Gransden has very noise-sensitive neighbours and might not be keen on a large number of visitors at one go.

Peterborough Sibson? Pleasant grass strip, friendly people, watch out for skydivers.

FlyingForFun
26th Sep 2002, 09:47
I'd be against anywhere that can't accept non-radio aircraft. The main attraction is, of course, the social event, but it's always fun to look around other peoples' aircraft, especially if they're interesting aircraft. So I'm against anything which is going to prevent people bringing in interesting aircraft.

Apart from that, I have no preference.

Are we suggesting this as an alternative if Sywell is closed? Or are we actually saying that we should scrap Sywell and go somewhere else instead whatever???

FFF
-------------

sennadog
26th Sep 2002, 21:45
Ah, now I see what Evo was on about. FFS, I've just got my head around Sywell - let's not change it now.:)

Stampe
29th Sep 2002, 14:48
Stick to Sywell lots of runways if windy and i have not been there for years so looking forward to it!!.See y,all there!!

Flyin'Dutch'
29th Sep 2002, 23:23
Keef and Ed, See you there on saturday. Frank

TheKentishFledgling
30th Sep 2002, 16:08
Keef and Ed, See you there on saturday. Frank

...........and Steve R will be there :)

tKF

long final
1st Oct 2002, 07:44
RotorHorn and myself will be there on Saturday, in time for lunch. :p

Regards
LF

arrow2
1st Oct 2002, 11:18
So BRL what are the details for Saturday? Have we set a planned time to try to get there? Maybe we should all try to arrive by 12.00 for lunch and have a core time for us all to be there between 1200 and 1400. Presumably Sywell know we are coming and have laid on lots of food!

I will now be from Blackbushe via Stapleford with me plus 2.

A2

Whirlybird
1st Oct 2002, 11:48
I expect to arrive between 11.30 and 12.30, from Halfpenny Green (Wolverhampton if you insist). I may be bringing ariel; if not there will be a spare seat going in an R22.

sunnysideup
1st Oct 2002, 13:15
OK.

As it stands, I am pretty sure that the following will be arriving in the Antonov An2:

Sunnysideup
Touchdown
BlueRobin + 1
AerBabe + host of adoring followers
GirlFriday + 1

Assuming just one adoring follower, that leaves three spare seats (assuming AerBabe & Girl Friday are definately coming - pls let me know soonest!!).

Plan is to meet at Wellesbourne at 11am. Take about thirty minutes to get to Sywell (maybe a bit longer after everyone's had a play with the stick!:p )

MikeSamuel
1st Oct 2002, 13:39
Correct me if I'm wrong AB - But as far as I know, we are arriving by C152. So I guess you should count us out of your calculations sunnysideup...plus, I am neither adoring, nor following ;)

AerBabe
1st Oct 2002, 14:21
Yup, I did drop you an email Sunny, but it's obviously got lost en-route, sorry... I'm intending to fly myself in, cos I haven't logged any P1 time for a while.
Mike, however, will be walking after that comment.

What is everyone planning to do in the evening? There was some talk about staying overnight... is anyone still going to do this?

FlyingForFun
1st Oct 2002, 14:48
I'll stay overnight if other people are... would be nice to be able to have a few beers (although not as many as last weekend if I've got to fly back on Sunday!)

Need to know soon though - the Europa is still free on Sunday at the moment, but if I don't book it soon, someone else will.

FFF
-------------

BRL
1st Oct 2002, 21:41
It is with great saddness that i have to announce I will not be going. I have recently had my loft converted and i had to pay the builder 15K CASH this afternoon which was a bit more than planned. Due to this, I am unable to attend as its cut right into my budget for the next month. :( :( :( :(

Click here (http://groups.msn.com/BRLPictures/stuff.msnw) to see it. :(

Keef
1st Oct 2002, 22:31
Hey, BRL, you cannot NOT come. Not acceptable.

Betake yourself by bicycle, car, train, horse, dog cart, or whatever to Rochester (the EGTO place) by ten am or so, and Keef will pick you up from there. OK?

Look for tKF who will be there, and/or a scruffy bloke in a shiny Arrer.

I can't stay overnight - I've got two services on Sunday morning. But I will have all the sermons done and bits ready so I can be at the fly-in.

So I'll drop BRL back at EGTO before sunset. I have to be back in my box before the moon rises...

FlyingForFun
2nd Oct 2002, 07:55
I agree - BRL, you can't not come!

I've still got a spare seat from White Waltham if that's easier to get to than Rochester.

(Although now I've advertised the fact that I've got a spare seat, you'll have to let me know before anyone else who reads this if you want it!)

Still not sure when I'm coming back. Although judgine by the response so far, doesn't look like too many people are going to be spending the night, does it? Come on guys+gals - let's have a party! :)

FFF
-------------

Who has control?
2nd Oct 2002, 10:04
Sorry FFF,

Can't stay out late because after dark the aircraft turns into a Vampire.

Home base closes at 7:00 and someone else wants to play with her on sunday.

AerBabe
2nd Oct 2002, 11:34
I'm sadly going to have to wimp out too. I won't get any lab work done on Friday due to the Gatwick trip (yay!), so I'll have to go in Saturday evening (boo) :(

FlyingForFun
2nd Oct 2002, 12:13
Too late for me as well, now - someone else has booked the Europa for Sunday morning, so I'll need to leave in time to get back to White Waltham before sunset.

Next time we'll have to be a little more organised if we're going to arrange an overnight fly-in.

Still, that won't stop it being an excellent day! As long as the weather holds out, of course...

FFF
--------------

MikeSamuel
3rd Oct 2002, 09:25
AB, does that mean "I'm wimping out of camping" or "I'm wimping out altogether"...Can you let me know ASAP? Call my mobile or something purrrrlease :)

Lowtimer
3rd Oct 2002, 09:50
I shan't be staying overnight - too many nights away from home recently, and I only live an hour away in any case - but will be on site from around 9.30 and there most of the day if the weather stays nice. Sod's law dictates that the Yak will be right at the back of the hangar, so if l am not in evidence (hopefully wearing a Lowtimer / PPRUNE name badge) have a look for a lanky beanpole puffing and struggling around Hangar 4 unpacking a pile of aeroplanes.

Looking forward to putting faces to names, and nicknames...

eveepee
3rd Oct 2002, 11:31
I shalln't be staying overnight either since WhoHasControl has control - we're both arriving and departing in the Vampire...:)

Keef
3rd Oct 2002, 12:04
Hey, BRL!

You want that lift? From EGTO, or do I need to schlepp to EGKA? (Wrong direction, really).

AerBabe

Wimp out as in "not come", or as in "not stay overnight"? You'd be sorely missed!

tKF and I are bringing our cameras special-like.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Oct 2002, 13:25
Just a reminder, 2 seats going from Popham if anybody wants to drop me an Email.

G

sennadog
3rd Oct 2002, 16:25
Don't worry. We'll give BRL a good kicking tomorrow until he submits and agrees to come to Sywell.;)

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Oct 2002, 16:34
Tell BRL to get his backside over to Popham and I'll bring him up in the Warrior.

G

AerBabe
3rd Oct 2002, 16:36
Oops, sorry Keef... Yes, I's a comin'! Just not stayin' :)

QNH 1013
3rd Oct 2002, 18:55
Following negotiations, I can now come but only if the weather's iffy. (Mrs QNH will be using the aircraft if the weathers good). Question is, will I be the only one there if thats the case?

AerBabe
3rd Oct 2002, 19:26
Question really is why don't you and Mrs QNH both come? :confused:

TheKentishFledgling
3rd Oct 2002, 20:42
Very much looking forward to this - see you all there!

tKF

QNH 1013
3rd Oct 2002, 20:55
AerBabe, Sorry, should have explained, she will be training and she's doing circuits at present. Saturday is her next slot, but the aircraft will be free if the weather is rough. She is learning to land much quicker than I did. Apart from last week, the weather hasn't been very kind to her so far.

Who has control?
4th Oct 2002, 07:18
Anyone else apart from EVP & I routing north-westish through the Luton/Stansted Gap?

I just want to know who to listen for on 124.6

We'll be in -AJ.

Keef
4th Oct 2002, 09:08
WHC

Yes, I reckon G-UTSY will be winging round that way. EGMC - EGTO - (EGKA? - not heard from BRL) - LAM - BPK - wiggle as appropriate - Sywell. Something similar in the afternoon going t'other way.

Might even call Luton Approach if they aren't busy, and see if we can get a direct routing. Faint heart never, and all that.

Doubt we'd use 124.6, although the service from them the other day almost suggested they have radar - perhaps one of the former LATCC consoles now obsoleted by Swanwick? Anyone know?

More likely Thames, Luton (listening first).

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
4th Oct 2002, 09:09
Whiskey Kilo should be wandering up through the gap by late morning. See you all there.

QNH 1013
4th Oct 2002, 12:08
I've just telephoned Sywell to check that they are open tomorrow and to check that we don't need PPR (we don't - they say just call on the radio).

I also wanted to check the landing-fee. (For fly-ins, Sywell sometimes charge a 10 pound (S/E) landing fee which is valid all day so you can take others up to experience the thrills? of your particular aircraft.) The telephone was answered by the aerodrome manager who told me that they have not been notified of this fly-in tomorrow and so normal arrangements of ten pounds per landing will apply to each and every landing. Could get expensive !

I was also told that he doesn't think the Motel and the Restaurant are aware of any fly-in tomorrow.

I thought I had read somewhere on the thread that arrangements had been made with Sywell for this fly-in. Sounds like there is a breakdown in communication at the very least.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just reporting the conversation I have just had with the aerodrome manager.

arrow2
4th Oct 2002, 13:33
I'll be Blackbushe - Stapleford to pick up passenger then going through the gap in G-BOJI probably around 1100 / 1130. Better get the map out tonight and see which way to go from there!

Keef
4th Oct 2002, 13:44
Ooops! Something gone adrift? Do I need to bring sarnies?

Not been able to get a response from BRL for several days - dunno if he wants a lift or not. SMS aren't arriving at his phone either. Maybe he's hors de combat and the arrrangements falling down?

Glad you called, QNH - at least they have some inkling we're coming. tKF and I will be arriving somewhere about 11-ish, with or without BRL. If no grub available, I reckon a quick dash to a local pub! I can have a skinfull and tKF can fly me home ;)

[No, don't say it, I know. Don't drink and fly.]

MikeSamuel
4th Oct 2002, 13:53
It's all very exciting :) Can't wait :) Whats the forecast like?

Keef
4th Oct 2002, 14:13
Forecast for tomorrow is one of those "all things to all men" jobs.

The 3-day sounds a bit melancholy for Saturday, but it usually is a bit that way.

The long TAFS show cloud at 3000 to 3500 during the morning, maybe some light rain. Winds could be gusting up to 20 knots per the USAF fields TAFs, but not according to Luton:

EGGW 041025Z 041812 28006KT 9999 FEW030 PROB40 TEMPO 0309 6000 BKN006=

I reckon G-UTSY's going, unless the forecast gets a lot worse. Decision in the morning when we see the 214 and 215.

TheKentishFledgling
4th Oct 2002, 17:54
Radio forecast just now was early fog, clearing for a dry and sunny day.

Look forward to seeing many of you tomorrow!

tKF

QNH 1013
4th Oct 2002, 19:20
Will anyone be there tomorrow morning? Looks like I can get the aircraft but if I come I will have to leave before 12.30 to get the aircraft back for Mrs QNH. Don't want to be in the position of leaving before everyone else arrives.
Forecast seems to be improving for the morning.

AerBabe
4th Oct 2002, 20:42
Yup, Mike and I will be there early-ish... won't we Mike *glares* ;)
Not sure which a/c we'll be in... but definitely a C-152.
Either G-BPBK, or more likely G-BNXC.
There are usually loudspeakers at Sywell, broadcasting the radio, so you'll be able to hear my dulcet tones coming in :D

LowNSlow
4th Oct 2002, 21:20
The cavalry just rode over the hill for me! A last minute offer of a 4 hour child minding service has released me for the late morning/early afternoon.

See y'all around 12 ish at (hopefully) sunny Sywell.

TheKentishFledgling
4th Oct 2002, 21:31
See you there Peter!
:)
tKF

BRL
4th Oct 2002, 21:38
Well, the nail is in the coffin for me now. I defo can't have the car tommorow to go over to Kent to meet Keef and take him up on his kind offer. Have a good one chaps. Someone take a digital cam and get a few piccys for us :)

sexybeets
4th Oct 2002, 22:19
Wish I could be there.....spent many a happy afternoon in the Aviator's beer garden. ;)
I'm not sure, but they may have opened the "roof terrace" as well.

If any of you meet a military type chap, swarthy looking, v.little hair, and who responds to the name Doug......buy him a pint for me please :eek:
He's a PPL, currently doing his ATPL ground school and also happens to be my big brother :D

Have a great day, be safe!!

Keef
4th Oct 2002, 22:59
BRL That's a big shame! We'll drink a couple of pints for you.

I'll get out the digicam just in case.

ETA at EGBK for tKF/Keef/G-UTSY around 11am, earlier if Luton are friendly...

TheKentishFledgling
5th Oct 2002, 06:21
It's 0720 and outside there are no clouds and as far as I can see, the viz is good!

See you all later

tKF

(I will have diggy cam btw!)

Whirlybird
5th Oct 2002, 06:49
It's 7.45am, the wx looks OK, and the forecast is reasonable. I'm off on the hour and a half drive to Halfpenny Green, to spend half an hour checking out a helicopter, for less than an hour's flight to Sywell. Hopefully see you all later. :)

QNH 1013
5th Oct 2002, 07:01
The 0620Z METARS for Luton and East Midlands are CAVOK. Leeds Bradford still has low (200') cloud. Nevertherless, I'm just leaving (by car - 1 hour drive) for the airfield. If wx is ok at the airfield, I will be arriving at Sywell in a Jodel before 1100 local.

Girl Flyday
5th Oct 2002, 07:02
Well it's raining up in Cheshire, but it seems to be better 'darn sarf', so I'll be leaving for Wellesbourne soon. (Via Brum, to pick up my mate Andy)

See you soon! :D

Keef
5th Oct 2002, 07:09
Nice wx everywhere except Safend - looking out of my window it's OVC008. Sounds like an IFR departure to EGTO.

See you folks later

sennadog
5th Oct 2002, 07:11
WX looks favourable so we'll plan to see you guys later around 12.00.:D

AerBabe
5th Oct 2002, 07:13
Looking out of my window all I can see is BLUE :cool: :)
Well, apart from the sun that's shining directly in my eyes ;)
See ya later... Mike and I will probably be there first... propping up the bar with a couple of OJs :p

Stampe
5th Oct 2002, 07:54
WX looks good depating Rochester in GZ about 0930Z. See you all

Ace Rimmer
5th Oct 2002, 12:15
A tale of woe I bring All looked good this AM just some high clouds climbed into the Rimmer mobile set off 1040 settled into the cruise - luvverly..... just about to switch over to Fboro LARS when hand on that artifical horizon shouldn't be doing that... check vac..yep looks OK... hmm definintely gettin worse... bollocks best go back since it might get a bit murky later.

Given an extended right base join for EGKA. OK then speed...good pump on landing light on gear down and three... bollocks (things are beginning to stack up a bit here) continue approach for inspection fly by.

Do the fly by don't get the news I want head out of the circuit to work the problem after much recycling while pulling a bit of G eventually get three greens. Return for another inspection fly by looks OK (says ATC) alright then I'll have a go says I. Land on VERY gently amid the trucks (they even got the big truck out cheers lads) happily no settling to the ground on the port side taxi in and shut down.

****** guess I'll have to wait until May for a fly in.....

But in the meantime big respect to the ATC and Fire gals and guys...thanks for your help

A_Pommie
5th Oct 2002, 13:12
Tale of woe 2

I wasn't sure if I was going to go to Sywell as I've not been flying the Auster long and my landings are not something that I like to share with an audiance. Any way Windy Millitant and I decided that it would be OK so off we set.
10:55 rolling down 22 something is amiss I'm not sure what but something is wrong. I decide to abort the take off and try again. As I taxied back to line up again there is a small thud and the view has changed a bit. I look at Windy he looks back with a I don't remember there being a hole in the taxi way sort of look. Then he looks out and finds the problem, the tail wheel is laying on the grass about 20 feet further back than is usual.:(
After much cursing we finally got the beast back into the hanger and got the tail up on a milk crate. It looks like the main bolt that goes through the spring has come undone and the weight of the tail acting on the two small bolts that clamp the spring to the stern post have snapped. We recovered the nut from the main bolt, all of the washers, the remains of one small bolts and the other nut with sheared bolt in it.
The bottom tube of the rudder looks as if it may be bent as the fabric is rippled slightly.
I have no idea how the iminent failure of the tail wheel could have affected the take off performance but I am mighty glad that something made me stop. If I had carried on it would have failed either at high speed as I took off or worst of all as I landed at Sywell.
I can't remember who posted about preflight checks but thanks to whoever it was as I'm sure it influenced my decision to abort.
Any way hope those that made it have a great day. I will make it to a fly in one day.:( :(

Edited to sort out the worst of the spelling and add nice one ace.

BRL
5th Oct 2002, 15:25
:eek: :eek: I knew i shouldn't have cursed you all last night 'cos i couldn't go :eek: :eek:

Ace Rimmer
5th Oct 2002, 15:38
BRL
You don't know the half of it! When I got back Mrs R (a hard woman) had me out GARDINING all afternoon (still there you go, ace of the base, to unskilled labour in one smooth move)

BRL
5th Oct 2002, 15:44
GARDENING........:eek: The curse worked better than i thought.!! Seriously though, well done for coping so well, sounds like your hands were full throughout. Well done mate. Glad i wasn't with you, I would have kaked myself :eek:

Sennadog How did you get on???

sennadog
5th Oct 2002, 15:48
Glad you chaps managed to sort out your problems without mishap. Evo and myself had a reasonably uneventful flight up to Sywell apart from the transponder going AWOL in the Farnborough Zone and with some good Nav by Evo we located Sywell alright despite my best efforts to get us off course.

Not the prettiest join into Sywell as the base came down to around 1400ft but managed to get it on the RWY.

Chatted to a few of you but decided to get going early due to my interpretation of the WX.

Glad we didn't try the SVFR through Heathrow in the end without the transponder.:D

Stampe
5th Oct 2002, 16:46
An amusing day nice to meet some fellow pruners thank you to whoever organised it I haven,t visited Sywell for at least 15 years what a nice field still.Headwind (20 knot) on the way up a bit of a pain still nice on the way home!!.Great to see "Bottieburp" in the lovely Miles Falcon and a great value lunch!!.Must visit again especially as the place always has an in to wind runway and so centrally located for all parts.

AerBabe
5th Oct 2002, 17:33
Took off from Coventry with clouds scattered at 2200', weather looking wonderful. Kept at 1200' to avoid BHX airspace, but couldn't climb up any further without getting near cloud.
Got to Sywell while they were still using RW 23, so I had a bit of a x/wind to play with. Wind must have been pretty strong, cos the flight was 20 min t/o to touch down going, and 40 min coming back......

A really interesting selection of aircraft turned up, and it was great to meet lots of new people. Also the chance to catch up with old friends in a non-pub setting!

Many many thanks to the PPRuNer with no name for the chance to fly the Gardan Horizon. What a fun aircraft! Gotta remember to keep the nose down though :o Our inpromptu photography session was a wonderful end to the day :)

See some of you next Saturday at the CovBash (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63590)!!! :)

Cusco
5th Oct 2002, 17:47
Tale of woe #3

Got back from 10 day motoring (sadly) trip around France late last night with a stinking cold and blocked ears so decided to temp ground myself.

No Sywell for me then but I hope a good time was had by all.

Wx in E Anglia for most of the day was cr*p.

Happy flying

TheKentishFledgling
5th Oct 2002, 17:49
Indeed a very fun day, and great to meet some PPRuNers at last :)

Many thanks to LowTimer for the Yak ride - a lovely aeroplane, a bit different to Keef's Arrer ;)

Thanks also Keef for another fun day's flying in G-USTY, and we only got cut up on final once today :p

tKF

Stampe
5th Oct 2002, 18:01
Out of interest did anyone keep a record of who turned up and what in and where from ,any pics?? total headcount .I do love my stats!!.

eveepee
5th Oct 2002, 18:04
Great Day ! It was good to meet some Ppruners again and to meet new ones too :)

Many thanks to Whirlybird (can you run that past me again,
s l o w l y), Flying For Fun for showing me the difference between a Cessna and a Europa (WOW factor), and the fact I've still a lot to learn :D , and, of course, to Who Has Control? for getting me there in the first place. Nice One WHC.

Hope it won't be too long till the next one, can we order some sunshine for it. :)

AerBabe
5th Oct 2002, 18:08
Yup, I think Whirly and I managed to note down everyone's name...although not where they came from and what in. If I start a list of who / what I can remember, maybe you'd all like to PM me with anything / anyone I missed :)

So... off the top o' me 'ed:
Stampe - Condor - Rochester
Whirlybird - R22 - Wolverhampton
AerBabe & Mike Samuel - C152 - Coventry
Flying For Fun & Cheshire Cat - Europa - White Waltham
Keef & The Kentish Fledgling - Arrer - Sarfend via Rochester
Wycombe - C172 - Wycombe?! :D
PPRuNer with no name - Gardan Horizon - Wellesbourne
LowNSlow - Auster - Rush Green
Who Has Control & Eveepee - Koliber - North Weald via Rochester?
Sennadog & Evo - Katana - Redhill
Crossed Controls - Supercub - Bennington
Genghis - Warrior - Popham
LowTimer - Yak - Sywell (isn't this cheating?)
Bottieburp - Miles Falcon - Old Warden
Arrow2 - ? - Blackbushe
QNH 1013 - Jodell - Tatenhill
Whisky Kilo Wanderer - ? - ?

Blue Robin & Girl Flyday - Car (not sure which type) - Wellesbourne

Lots of pics taken... who had the digital cameras then?

sennadog
5th Oct 2002, 18:08
Stampe, I'm pretty sure that Whirlybird took a head count although I didn't get to speak to her.

Forgot to mention that we were treated to an excellent sight as we headed past Reading. Concorde on climb out above us going out of Heathrow - must have been a good omen.:D

Stampe
5th Oct 2002, 18:21
I was in my Condor AXGZ from Rochester sorry I didn,t get to fly some of you in it but I,m getting over a headcold, this was fortunately the first day I felt fit to fly so thought it best not to push my luck!!.On the way back decided to drop in to the wonderful N.Weald for a coffee and and they,d run out of their famous rockcakes what a disaster.Good days poling though!!.Oh I nearly forgot my good friend Bottieburp was there also in his lovely 1936 Miles Falcon AEEG from Old Warden think you needed his details.

MikeSamuel
5th Oct 2002, 18:33
Thanks for a really fine day out, guys.

Although the weather was marginal the turnout was great and it was good to meet new faces and see some more familiar ones...
Best moment was probably the look around the Yak, although the Koliber and the Europa impressed me too!!!

Cheers to LownSlow for his demonstration of how to get very tired hand-swinging an Auster! Was worth the trouble for the gorgeous sound!

Hope to see a good few of you next week, if I have any money left :rolleyes:

Until then.....

long final
5th Oct 2002, 18:46
Woe 4. Long Final & RotorHorn - 700ft base BPL - gave up at about 1 - got home - cloud cleared. :(

Next time.

LF

Whirlybird
5th Oct 2002, 19:23
Having volunteered to do a head count, these are the people who made it into Whirly's Little Red Book (in the order I have them):

Eveepee, Aerbabe, Whirlybird, Cheshire Cat, QNH 1013, Genghis the Engineer, Stampe, MikeSamuel, Who Has Control?, Sennadog, Wickham, Wickham's friend, Evo, FlyingForFun, Keef, TheKentishFledgling, LowTimer, Girl Flyday, Bottiebump, LowNSlow, Andy (who's forgotten his PPRuNe name), Whisky Kilo Wanderer, Blue Robin, Bill (who doesn't have a PPRuNe name).

I have no idea if that's the same as Aerbabe's list or not, but 24 people ain't bad. But next time, can the organiser or whoever suggests it please tell the airfield we're coming!!!

I had a really good day. When I realised that a straight line from Wolverhampton to Sywell went straight through the overhead of Birmingham Airport, I decided to go that way if they'd let me. I was a wee bit worried, as I don't have good memories of Birmingham - got lost in their airspace as a very new PPL, and last went through their overhead just before a rather expensive overspeed incident in January 2001. So I wondered if Birmingham was jinxed for me. But today was wonderful - cleared into the zone with great city centre views, then cleared straight through the overhead with no problems at all. The way home was straight into the teeth of a 20-25 kt headwind, so I decided to go around Birmingham low level to avoid the worst of it - didn't fancy trying to cross Birmingham at 1000 ft. It was a pleasant and not too bumpy flight back, with wonderful vis.

Eveepee, glad you enjoyed the R22 flight, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to show off a bit with a towering takeoff! I'll try and explain it all s l o w l y next time, really I will.

Overall, a Good Day. When's the next one?

Girl Flyday
5th Oct 2002, 19:43
There are a few photos at www.hnye.com/sywell.htm - although I haven't got around to adding any captions or naming the culprits yet! But if anyone would like to suggest anything or remind me of who's who... (you can email me at [email protected])

Great to see you all - and many thanks to Bill for the flight over from Wellesbourne, and Andy for chauffering me around. And yes, I'll definitely be back to have a another attempt at flying the AN-2!

GF

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
5th Oct 2002, 19:43
Thanks to all for a good fly-in, nice to meet up with faces and aircraft to match the Pprune Names.

Good run back to Heathfield, with thirty MPH of tail wind, made up for the struggle heading north. !:45 up, 1:15 home, the delights of the slow end of the market.

Good to see you all, Safe Flying.

Richard W.

Crossedcontrols
5th Oct 2002, 20:14
Got the Triumph out for the "brisk" ride through the lanes to the Strip. Checked the Cub out, set off at 10:00. Bennington to Grafam Water, bit of a headwind ground speed 45Kts, hang a left at Grafam (we were 'I Follow Roads' mode). Due west at 1400 ft ( I get nose bleeds at anything over 1800 ft ;-), good job as the viz didn't look too good higher up) Landed on 25 slight crosswind. Nice to say hello to the few people I had corresponded with and met some for the first time. We had to shoot off as an 'urgent' fishing trip required my driving skills. Was given 33 for departure stronger wind this time with a bit of crosswind. Got back in half the time. Nice day, lovely place. Good to meet the PPRUNE crowd, The old SuperCub puts a grin on yer face, what a nice way to spend a Saturday

Lowtimer
5th Oct 2002, 20:42
TKF, glad you enjoyed yourself, only disappointed we couldn't get enough height for a few gentle aeros - still, next time, eh?

Mike Samuel and AB, sorry I didn't get you airborne, I seem to have been surprisingly busy flying during the day. We don't have to wait for a fly-in as it's practically no distance between Sywell and Coventry.

I didn't get to talk properly to lots of people - Ghenghis, sorry I had to cut and run when you wandered past but I had already primed and turned the prop and you know how big radials like to hydraulic lock...

Next time, everyone! Thanks for coming!

Evo
5th Oct 2002, 20:44
FFF - many thanks for the trip in the Europa, although trying to make me do a PFL was a bit harsh... :D

and as for

Forgot to mention that we were treated to an excellent sight as we headed past Reading. Concorde on climb out above us going out of Heathrow - must have been a good omen.

Priceless - if anyone thinks that there is a more beautiful aeroplane, they haven't seen a sight like that :) :) :)

Oh, and did someone come from Goodwood? Somebody was heading back that way when we left, wondered if they were PPRuNers...

AerBabe
5th Oct 2002, 21:59
Pah, don't worry about it Lowtimer! Besides, I thought the agreement was a DHC-1 swap :)

Wycombe
6th Oct 2002, 07:03
Good to see/meet so many of you, what a great way to spend a day (always makes me wish I could do more of it :) ).

Me flying G-PLBI on the way up - Wx for us actually not too bad - 'base about 1700' QNH (but reasonable vis underneath) as we approached Sywell, just a few bumps and a bit of x-wind on 25 (they changed to 33 just after we landed)

Departed back to EGTB at 1515L - lovely viz and base about 3000' on the way back, but climbed up to 4500' as (Nigel) did some "voluntary" IMC between DTY & WCO - good practice, but always nice to "break out" after 10/15 mins of solid grey. Groundspeed of 140kt (thanks to that tailwind) was a bonus and got us back to Wycombe nice and quick.

AB - thanks for the invite to the CovBash, not going to be a go'er
for me, due family commitments - hope you have a good'un.

CC - keep those colourful old Jumbo's trimmed, hope something comes up at Virgin (so to speak!)

Evo - sorry, didn't get time to show you around 'BI - think you left before us.

Cheers all ;) ;)

sunnysideup
6th Oct 2002, 09:12
Hope you guys had a great day yeasterday. Sorry I couldn't be there with the An-2.

When you're landing over five tonnes of metal with a 13 foot fin at less than 35 kts, the cross wind limits are THE cross wind limits!!!!

We also, unfortunately, had a prop bending incident with a student solo yesterday just before intended departure time. (note: the student saved the aircraft but an instructor and the fire crew combined to bend the prop recovering me beloved Robin 2160). Under the circumstances, I was tied to the Club for the day.

Thanks to my much abused, long-suffering Ant co-pilot, "Grease it on" Bill for:

a. Phoning me with the wind at Sywell when he got there confirming I should not have gone.

b. Getting his good old workhorse GY80 out to get BlueRobin and Girl Friday to the ball on time.

After several pints of guiness last night, he has agreed to get himself a pprune name. And those that arrived in the chaos here yesterday can come back any time for a go in the Ant.

Hope to FINALLY meet some of you at the impending Cov Bash (AerBabe, why do we need a hotel room?? It seems from your recent photo that everyone shares yours :D )

eveepee
6th Oct 2002, 09:46
Like Sennadog I knew I forgotten to mention something in my last post - On arriving back at North Weald WHC and I were just in time to see TWO Mustangs lining up and taking off together...Perfect end to a great day. :)