PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Bendigo to Sydney

0ttoL
10th Dec 2018, 00:02
Just saw this.
QantasLink Q300 6 days per week

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/qantas-to-start-bendigo-sydney-flights-city-s-first-in-30-years-20181210-p50l83.html

thunderbird five
10th Dec 2018, 05:26
Will QANTAS pick up the tab for all the ASIC cards which will be required by all the aviators that don't need one now there? Bendigo will become a security controlled airport.

Ski Guru
10th Dec 2018, 05:50
Will QANTAS pick up the tab for all the ASIC cards which will be required by all the aviators that don't need one now there? Bendigo will become a security controlled airport.

Why? Do the community of Bendigo not want a regular air transport service?

LeadSled
10th Dec 2018, 06:15
Thunderbird 5 et al,
The impact on other users will depend on how dumb or smart the aerodrome operator is ---- there is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT for the whole airfield to become "security controlled" --- only the secure ramp and secure boarding area.
The " [un-permitted expression] in the woodpile" was/is subsidies for fences and local councils/aerodrome leaseholders chasing the biggest bucket of money ---- and local councilors who like to boast that they have a "much safer airport", as if every country town was a hotbed of Islamic extremism.
Tootle pip!!

airspace alpha
10th Dec 2018, 06:43
Interesting. Morning up, afternoon back. I can clearly see the market Bendigo-Sydney. Bendigo Bank on its own probably moves 25-30 per day as its NSW operations are extensive. And as for interlining- domestically its a no-brainer and probably fairly attractive for international.
but what I’m having trouble with is the Sydney-Bendigo market. Unless you are a miner you only make an air route pay with economic traffic each way, and I can’t see a huge Sydney or interline originating market.
time will tell of course but for now its a positive .
As for ASICS Moorabbin got away with a dual designation for several years but in the end got dragged in to the system. The only way would be for security screening to be done at arrival in Sydney a la the REX services to MEL.
And leadsled- have a look at the virulent facebook page “stop the mosque in Bendigo” - I’m sure those bozos will have something to say about this.

dmr0
10th Dec 2018, 06:53
Very cool. With one flight each way per day, any idea on how they will crew this? i.e. will Sydney based pilots and FA’s overnight in BXG or would there be crew based there?

machtuk
10th Dec 2018, 08:19
Cant wait to see the Dash mixing it with the jet circuit yellow nuisance machines that fly so wide they need a clearance to entry AY control zone !
I fly into BDG on a semi reg basis, shall look fwd to having right of way over an RPT who's gunna do the 5mile final at every opportunity due arrogance:-)(....sometimes you win sometimes you lose:-):-)

LeadSled
10th Dec 2018, 08:30
.As for ASICS Moorabbin got away with a dual designation for several years but in the end got dragged in to the system.

AA,
I am not sure what you mean by duel designation, but the whole airport does NOT have to be declared security restricted for RPT services, have a look at actual regulations, not the myths and PR bulldust ---- and airport operators have made some rather poor choices chasing a myth of a "Golden Fleece" to be soaked from RPT services.
It will be interesting to see how smart or dumb the airport operation proves to be.
Tootle pip!!

Brakerider
10th Dec 2018, 08:30
I fly into BDG on a semi reg basis, shall look fwd to having right of way over an RPT who's gunna do the 5mile final at every opportunity due arrogance:-)(....sometimes you win sometimes you lose:-):-)

You're exactly right - RPT aircraft fly 5 mile finals whenever they can purely to stroke their egos :ugh:

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
10th Dec 2018, 10:48
I bet WOL and Jetgo were just as excited to open up new markets. Economic models will tell you what ever they were commissioned to find. Let's see how long it lasts.

logansi
10th Dec 2018, 10:52
I bet WOL and Jetgo were just as excited to open up new markets. Economic models will tell you what ever they were commissioned to find. Let's see how long it lasts.

I'm going to guess Qantas likely has a better way of doing such modelling than Jetgo and much more brand awareness.

Oh and I to am interested to see how a foxbat or 2 in the circuit and a Q300 work.

lo_lyf
10th Dec 2018, 21:16
Just like at every other CTAF where RPT operates into you muppets.

Centre of Pressure
11th Dec 2018, 01:09
It amazes me how everyone wants the industry to expand and grow and get better services everywhere, but yet show only negativity in response to what's better for aviation as a whole.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
11th Dec 2018, 02:12
The council want a new $10 million terminal, for which they are prepared to tip in $1 million. They wanted $4.4 million from the Feds. and the same from the State Govt, but missed out on the Feds. I guess for one flight a day, the tin shed will do.
It will be interesting to see how smart or dumb the airport operation proves to be.
Not that dumb. The car park is getting built.

Berealgetreal
11th Dec 2018, 03:24

Rpt pilots are basically looking to get from A-B as quickly and as safely as possible. They’ve simply no interest or energy in prooving or winning anything. The last thing they want to is to cause a conflict or have a near miss. You can find yourself pulled off line at the drop of a hat in the airline world, it’s not some sort of game or hobby.

mickjoebill
11th Dec 2018, 03:28
The savings in car parking in Bendigo v Tullamarine could be a factor in locals deciding their routing for long haul travel:)

The walk from car park to terminal will be brief! so the door to airstair travel time will benifit residents who live well south of Bendigo.

mjb

Trevor the lover
11th Dec 2018, 06:50
Hey I fly our Kingairs onto a 5 mile final everywhere I go as often as possible and I'm as arrogant as buggary. Can't think of any other reason to fly a 5 mile final !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Global Aviator
11th Dec 2018, 08:24
Yep well said, fantastic another regional route.

Hope it survives the test of time.

Flying into a CTAF and self controlling is better than some erm assisted controlling in some parts of the world!

PoppaJo
11th Dec 2018, 21:54
I'm going to guess Qantas likely has a better way of doing such modelling than Jetgo and much more brand awareness.

Nothing to do with modelling.

Dan the Man is footing the bill. Just like he is paying Jetstars million dollar yearly losses at AVV and a multi million dollar grant to AirAsia to move down to Avalon.

Have you ever wondered why so many Chinese carriers fly to MEL? Cause Dan throws millions at them to come here.

Berealgetreal
12th Dec 2018, 02:40
“Dan the man” is a very popular chap. Landslide victory and all.

Must be just me that doesn’t like sitting in traffic wondering if I’m going to get car jacked.

ga_trojan
12th Dec 2018, 02:49
I wonder if Ballarat City Council are ruing the decision to dig up their once 2000m runway?

longlegs
12th Dec 2018, 02:50
And tickle me Elmo Bendigo just happens to be one of the 8 short listed regional airports in the running for the yet to be announced second Qantas pilot academy

machtuk
12th Dec 2018, 21:39
And tickle me Elmo Bendigo just happens to be one of the 8 short listed regional airports in the running for the yet to be announced second Qantas pilot academy

I wondered who would be the first to pick up on that?:-)
That long RWY wasn't put in just for the yellow nuisances up there !:-)
Watch this space as they say...lolol

drshmoo
13th Dec 2018, 09:21
Hey I fly our Kingairs onto a 5 mile final everywhere I go as often as possible and I'm as arrogant as buggary. Can't think of any other reason to fly a 5 mile final !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im dying with laughter! Dying!

PoppaJo
31st Mar 2019, 12:41
First Flight in tonight under the command of Oliver Mitchell. Great work guys and hopefully Ballarat at some point this century also!

https://youtu.be/JfyWBsu5KEw

Buster Hyman
31st Mar 2019, 16:14
Big week for Bendigo! They got electricity this week too! :}:ouch::E

Going Nowhere
31st Mar 2019, 21:05
Local Skipper as well! :D

spektrum
31st Mar 2019, 22:30
Look at all those people by the fence excited to see a Dash 8. One that takes them to Sydney of all places too.

machtuk
1st Apr 2019, 03:13
Will be interesting to see how they fit in with the annoying yellow perils that congregate in the circuit at BDG doing jet sized circuits at walking speed!
I never like going into BDG especially on a W/E! Interesting times ahead!

Minosavy Masta
1st Apr 2019, 05:26
I hope the added attention to Flight Ops at YBDG. results in the " Short Term" parking in front of the Aero Club being enforced The sight of the supposed short termers occupying those slots continually for weeks/months on end is definitely NOT conducive for Itinerent. Visiting Aircraft

VH DSJ
1st Apr 2019, 07:39
No water canon salute?

machtuk
1st Apr 2019, 08:56
The only saving grace is QF will leave early & arrive late, most lighty's will still be under wraps:-) Up to $500 one way at times! Christ I'd want a LearJet for that!:-)
I've done 1000's of hrs driving high Perf Turbo props Single Pilot into CTAFr's & MBZ's etc in the good old days & most private bug smasher drivers where courteous, some however where a disaster waiting to happen! I had the misfortune of going into YPMQ the other week, it brought back home just how ignorant some training/Pvt drivers are!

flying_a_nix_box
1st Apr 2019, 21:40
One of my brothers worked on the business case for this. He works for regional development in Bendigo. It hadn't started 3 weeks ago when I last visited him from London......

Scooter Rassmussin
2nd Apr 2019, 04:25
Hope they open a Bendigo base , great place to live and work .

miroho
3rd Apr 2019, 01:52
local skipper who greased it on! good work young man

Capt Fathom
3rd Apr 2019, 10:01
Funny how a persons ‘aviation ability’ is judged by how you can land! :confused:

mickjoebill
3rd Apr 2019, 11:47
My home town is finally on the map :)

mjb

spektrum
3rd Apr 2019, 22:39
local skipper who greased it on! good work young man

Milked it.