PDA

View Full Version : Good R/T Apps

Sky Sports
2nd Oct 2018, 11:22
Apologies if this question has been asked before, but can anyone recommend any good apps for learning R/T?
Free or otherwise, but they must comply with CAP 413.

airpolice
2nd Oct 2018, 17:17
There's not much better than buying a scanner and listening, from a suitable point, to both sides of the conversation and getting loads of experience.

India Four Two
2nd Oct 2018, 17:59
I completely agree with airpolice. There is nothing better than listening to real communications. What is particularly instructive, is listening to non-standard exchanges during unusual circumstances.

Jan Olieslagers
2nd Oct 2018, 18:15
2+

And allow me to warn against the almost blind belief in "apps" that seems to become more and more commonplace. Didn't I recently read a story of someone attacking an aerodrome manager or radio operator or such because the weather did not conform to what her/his app had promised?

Saab Dastard
2nd Oct 2018, 20:56
Didn't I recently read a story of someone attacking an aerodrome manager or radio operator or such because the weather did not conform to what her/his app had promised?
Jan, that's definitely an "app-ocryphal" story.

Sorry, hat, coat etc.

SD

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
2nd Oct 2018, 22:01
If you are close to an ATC tower give them a call and see if you can arrange a day visit. Contrary to popular belief ATCOs will help pilots ;-)
Plugging in on Zone or Tower will not only help with phraseology but the ATCO will be able to explain why things are said in the way they are said. Also it does them no harm to see things from your perspective as a pilot irrespective of your level of experience.

Big Pistons Forever
3rd Oct 2018, 00:14
Barely Air

Not an app but here is a Youtube video to help you out.....

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
3rd Oct 2018, 08:49
^^^^ :D ^^^^ I am sure they were flying into Newcastle last Thursday.

Rolercoaster79
3rd Oct 2018, 09:16
One thing is listening and another speaking it out :oh:
Live ATC is good, you have a lot of non standard communications on youtube. If you realy want to practice I would recommend you Vatsim on flight simulator:ok:

Jan Olieslagers
3rd Oct 2018, 12:38
that's definitely an "app-ocryphal" story

...and well it may be. I had actually hoped for someone to chime in and confirm - but it may be my old memory playing me tricks.

Sky Sports
3rd Oct 2018, 12:55
For clarity, I have a young relative who will shortly be attending a CAP 413 R/T course as part of his sponsored PPL. The instructor has told him to swot-up before the course starts. A day visit to an ATC unit or just listening in to some R/T chat probably won't give him the depth of knowledge. I recall a new pilot telling me that he used an App to learn R/T and that it was great. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't have need to ask him which App he used. Has anybody got any suggestions?

AlexJR
3rd Oct 2018, 15:00
For clarity, I have a young relative who will shortly be attending a CAP 413 R/T course as part of his sponsored PPL. The instructor has told him to swot-up before the course starts. A day visit to an ATC unit or just listening in to some R/T chat probably won't give him the depth of knowledge. I recall a new pilot telling me that he used an App to learn R/T and that it was great. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't have need to ask him which App he used. Has anybody got any suggestions?

I had my test recently - no substitute for reading through the CAP413 and learning your May Day back to front. Why not be a good friend and act as the Tower so you can roll-play the interactions - best are at the back. Note that the examiner wants you to pass so will help. Lot's to take on board so don't do at the end of the day tired (I did) - you need to be alert.

Big Pistons Forever
3rd Oct 2018, 18:17
How about making sure he is fluent with the phonetic alphabet as a first step

airpolice
3rd Oct 2018, 20:38
How about making sure he is fluent with the phonetic alphabet as a first step

Day one at RAF Shawbury, the Central Air Traffic Control School, and the first part of the first lesson is...

Spell your surname, backwards, phonetically.

The fact that I was very familiar with the alphabet, having been listening to radio traffic for years while at school, made it easy for me.

Nowadays I hear people flying who just don't seem to have studied it in any form.

Big Pistons Forever
3rd Oct 2018, 22:28
Day one at RAF Shawbury, the Central Air Traffic Control School, and the first part of the first lesson is...

Spell your surname, backwards, phonetically.

I remember that from my PPL GS. The student the instructor pick responded with “ Oscar Tango Tango Oscar “ so he picked another student who was from some obscure Eastern European country. His name had just about every letter in the alphabet and doing it backwards was a challenge for the owner even without using the phonetic alphabet. After about a minute of torture the instructor finally gave up and said OK., my name is Wilson, spell that backwards !

Jan Olieslagers
4th Oct 2018, 18:27
I taught it to my children spelling car plates during long rides.