PDA

View Full Version : Reporting timings, Correct Radio Phraseology

PelicanSquawk
1st Oct 2018, 16:46
I may get blasted for not knowing this...but I can't find it any where, and it's not come up often enough in the air for me to have heard some one else say it.

So, if some one asks me to report an ETA overhead somewhere, and say that ETA was 15.25, and it is currently 14.20, what would the correct way of saying this be?

"Time fifteenth, two, five" or "Time one, five, two, five", or "Time fifteen, twenty five"

I understand that if the ETA was say, 14.40, I would simply say "Time four, zero".

I just need help with timings past the hour.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

PS

JW411
1st Oct 2018, 17:00
One Five Two Five would be absolutely fine.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Oct 2018, 17:58
So, if some one asks me to report an ETA overhead somewhere, and say that ETA was 15.25, and it is currently 14.20, what would the correct way of saying this be?
Where in the world are you flying, and at what speed, that you could be talking to the same agency for over an hour?

piperboy84
1st Oct 2018, 18:07
Where in the world are you flying, and at what speed, that you could be talking to the same agency for over an hour?

Scottish Information?

PelicanSquawk
1st Oct 2018, 18:26

I see your point...I am just curious.

So how would 1500 hrs be said over the radio?

Time fifteen hundred? or Time one five, zero, zero? or Time fifteen, zero, zero?

Thanks

Jan Olieslagers
1st Oct 2018, 18:31

Belgium, 80 kts, Brussels information. Carefully navigating between the bits of controlled airspace, they are closed to me. I must have done more than 2 hours never talking to anyone else.

But I agree it could only be an AFIS. And the opening question seems little realistic to me, if it actually happened to me I might well respond "one hour, lady/sir, give or take as the winds will have it". I cannot imagine any operator asking time to overhead if it could be more than, say, half an hour.

So how would 1500 hrs be said over the radio?

How's about "Just before tea time, more or less" ?
(make that "JBTT+-" to be really English)
(sorry, I couldn't resist)

TheOddOne
1st Oct 2018, 19:09
hi PelicanSquawk,

In the UK, CAP 413 May 2016, Chapter 2, pages 8 and 9. Page 9 has Table 7, with worked examples, including 1300, to be spoken as 'WUN TREE ZERO ZERO'.

CAP413 may be downloaded for free from the UKCAA website. A positive goldmine of useful information.

TOO

Fl1ingfrog
1st Oct 2018, 19:17
Taken from CAP 413 - May 2016

Page 8
Transmission of Time

2.17 When transmitting time, only the minutes of the hour are normally required. However, the hour should be included if there is any possibility of confusion. Time checks shall be given to the nearest minute and preceded by the word ‘TIME’. Co- ordinated Universal Time (UTC) is to be used at all times, unless specified. 2400 hours designates midnight, the end of the day, and 0000 hours the beginning of the day.

Table 7 Number Transmitted as Pronounced as:

0823 Two Three or Zero Eight Two Three TOO-TREE (or ZERO-AIT-TOO-TREE)

1300 One Three Zero Zero WUN-TREE-ZERO-ZERO

2057 Five Seven or Two Zero Five Seven FIFE-SEVEN (or TOO-ZERO-FIFE-SEVEN)

Quite simple really. If you want to talk proper go to the horse's mouth.

PelicanSquawk
1st Oct 2018, 23:07
Taken from CAP 413 - May 2016

Page 8
Transmission of Time

2.17 When transmitting time, only the minutes of the hour are normally required. However, the hour should be included if there is any possibility of confusion. Time checks shall be given to the nearest minute and preceded by the word ‘TIME’. Co- ordinated Universal Time (UTC) is to be used at all times, unless specified. 2400 hours designates midnight, the end of the day, and 0000 hours the beginning of the day.

Table 7 Number Transmitted as Pronounced as:

0823 Two Three or Zero Eight Two Three TOO-TREE (or ZERO-AIT-TOO-TREE)

1300 One Three Zero Zero WUN-TREE-ZERO-ZERO

2057 Five Seven or Two Zero Five Seven FIFE-SEVEN (or TOO-ZERO-FIFE-SEVEN)

Quite simple really. If you want to talk proper go to the horse's mouth.

Thank you so much for this. I did actually consult CAP 413, but I couldn't find it any where...I was trying to research it whilst at work...so trying to be quick/subtle, I must have missed it.

Thanks again.