PDA

View Full Version : RYR evac @ BCN...is this for real!!???

JanetFlight
31st Jul 2018, 22:33
https://twitter.com/club_cabin/status/1024333864997740544

Oh my God...this guy filming here instead of helping is just filming, talkin, "joking" and promoting Vueling!!!???

What the hell!!???? :ugh:

compressor stall
31st Jul 2018, 22:36
Yes, but it's actually a good video for cabin crew training to promote some discussion!

FIRESYSOK
31st Jul 2018, 22:55
where are the overwing pax?

HundredPercentPlease
31st Jul 2018, 23:13
3 more videos here (https://t.co/r6bCCp2W83?amp=1).

PAXboy
31st Jul 2018, 23:41
In one of the Instagram clips it refers to the burning device as a portable charger. He says he put it out with water ...

Many lessons for crew in these clips.

UnofficialAirbusFan
31st Jul 2018, 23:47
Have a look in this videos:
instagram.com/p/Bl5oF3tnGJ6/ [<<< nvm, this was already posted]

A lithium battery fire should extinguish easily with a Halon extinguisher + water extinguisher.
The panic over a simple small located fire is insane
People are running over each other, slowing down everything thus making a simple situation even worse.
Recording and emergency evacuation with your phone? Is this real?
Weeeeeeeeee ?

No words.....

PAXboy
31st Jul 2018, 23:57
Indeed TangoAlphad. Follow the link by HundredPercentPlease. They took me to Instagram and video of the device on fire. All nice and cheap. Like vaping devices on the market or online.

EcamSurprise
1st Aug 2018, 02:41
There are quotes online from a passenger sitting in the front row who seems very proud of himself because ‘fortunately’ he opened the emergency door before the pilot had activated the slide..

1st Aug 2018, 02:51
Indeed, was this a command evac or not?

The fire would have had to have been pretty bad to command a proper evacuation vs getting the stairs I would’ve thought.

then again, the panic in the cabin may have been pretty high.

Mk 1
1st Aug 2018, 05:04
I take it back. In those videos there is a fair number of absolute idiots with bags.

I think they may be holding classes to 'improve' passenger bag performance - one bloke makes the jump with 2!

DaveReidUK
1st Aug 2018, 07:18
where are the overwing pax?

Presumably getting as far away from the midships fire as they could, to the front and rear doors ? :O

The flight was inbound to BCN from Bilbao and running late, the outbound leg having been diverted from Santander.

Herod
1st Aug 2018, 07:32
Are those videos of the same evacuation? The first one (apart from the idiot "starring") is almost textbook, with only the one passenger towards the end with bags. The others show the usual chaos. Perhaps the first one is actually a training film?

DaveReidUK
1st Aug 2018, 08:38
Are those videos of the same evacuation? The first one (apart from the idiot "starring") is almost textbook, with only the one passenger towards the end with bags. The others show the usual chaos. Perhaps the first one is actually a training film?

Stand markings are the same in both videos, sun is in an identical position ...

BBJ-Captain
1st Aug 2018, 19:19
I find it amazing a full blown evacuation because of this. The fire was out before anyone has actually moved away from the area.
I wouldn't be surprised if the crew had not been able to get to the fire location to deal with it before panic had gone down the cabin and passengers had elected to evacuate themselves. Once the masses have decided the action they will take, the cabin crew would have been in it for the ride and simply had to manage the evacuation as it progressed.

With regards to people carrying bags as they went and more unbelievably making videos, words fail me. Life is about social media and kudos these days.

Skyjob
1st Aug 2018, 19:45
Agreed with BBJ-Captain, especially as the location of burning device is not known, thus it takes only one passenger screaming "FIRE" or alike for this situation to occur.
There are quotes online from a passenger sitting in the front row who seems very proud of himself because ‘fortunately’ he opened the emergency door before the pilot had activated the slide.. The stupidity of passengers amazes me. Would he have done the same when in flight?
A lithium battery fire should extinguish easily with a Halon extinguisher + water extinguisher.Agreed in flight, but on ground surely not for a device of this size...
In those videos there is a fair number of absolute idiots with bags.And nothing the crew can do to stop them, as making them give up luggage at exit only slows evacuation down and creates a pileup of items in forward galley...

roybert
1st Aug 2018, 20:52
And nothing the crew can do to stop them, as making them give up luggage at exit only slows evacuation down and creates a pileup of items in forward galley...

In my view the only way to stop passenger from taking there carry on is to ban bringing anything larger than a Ladies purse into in the cabin. The only way this will happen is if the regulators around the world put regulation in place stopping the airlines from collection baggage fees.

Roybert

gearlever
1st Aug 2018, 21:11
Any charges for the extra event?

DaveReidUK
1st Aug 2018, 21:36
I wouldn't be surprised if the crew had not been able to get to the fire location to deal with it before panic had gone down the cabin and passengers had elected to evacuate themselves.

So if you drop your phone/charger and it bursts into flames at your feet, your advice is to stay put and wait for someone with a bucket of water or an extinguisher ?

In the event of a cabin fire on the ground, getting as far away as possible from it seems eminently sensible to me.

Bksmithca
2nd Aug 2018, 02:48
So if you drop your phone/charger and it bursts into flames at your feet, your advice is to stay put and wait for someone with a bucket of water or an extinguisher ?

In the event of a cabin fire on the ground, getting as far away as possible from it seems eminently sensible to me.

Dave, I don't believe that is what the captain was suggesting. I told to be that the masses trying to get out of the aircraft were blocking them from putting out the fire.

Bksmithca

Maninthebar
2nd Aug 2018, 07:13
Dave, I don't believe that is what the captain was suggesting. I told to be that the masses trying to get out of the aircraft were blocking them from putting out the fire.

Bksmithca

Yes. And in a ground-based, civil situation that is EXACTLY what the fire service would attempt - evacuate, remove the people and then extinguish the fire. Remember that the decision to tell people to stay put in Grenfell was a) exceptional and the result of a specific fire risk assessment and b) turns out, apparently, to have been wrong (subject to the result of the enquiry)

Mikehotel152
2nd Aug 2018, 07:24
Apparently the initial flame was intense and reached the ceiling, with commensurate volumes of smoke, all of which is far in exccess of what you see in the video. Third hand accounts suggest the cabin crew had just started the emergency demonstration and were therefore not necessarily in a position to intervene before panic ensued and a pax started the evacuation.

DaveReidUK
2nd Aug 2018, 07:51

If the cabin crew couldn't get to the source of the fire because of passengers fleeing the aircraft, then that's just tough.

The CC's primary function is to preserve life. If the aircraft goes up in flames once everyone has evacuated, so be it.

Chris2303
2nd Aug 2018, 08:07
"The stupidity of passengers amazes me."

You mean the stupidity of passengers actually paying money to travel in what is an inherently unsafe metal tube barrelling through the air?

If they weren't stupid there wouldn't be any airlines

rudestuff
2nd Aug 2018, 08:40
A fine of £1000 per bag or a lifetime ban should do the trick..

Skyjob
2nd Aug 2018, 10:35
Then everyone's ticket prices go up. I get the angle but in the modern airline model it won't work.
I would get behind nothing bigger than a laptop case onboard and a 10-15kg bag in the hold for fairly cheap option though.
Nail on the head with this one. Maybe in combination with:A fine of £1000 per bag or a lifetime ban should do the trick.
Ryanair does already have in place some procedures it appears to ensure least amount of bags are in cabin, by charging for them to be taken into cabin. Even better, pax do not book for airport staff to check in bag, saving cost, and rely on pax to bring bags to gate, then to be placed in hold.
Only if pax booked in advance and provided no more than a certain amount of bags in total can a bag be taken into cabin. Do other airlines limit the exposure to cabin bags the same?

scifi
2nd Aug 2018, 11:01
Aren't you supposed to submerge the burning Lithium battery in a champagne bucket full of iced water..?
Nobody wants their holiday clothes ruined by lithium fumes.

harrryw
2nd Aug 2018, 12:34
I understand the instructions for such fires is pour any fluid on it, do not use ice, use whatever is at hand....drinks from the cart etc. It may be the cabin crew were scared to use these as they feared getting their pay docked.
While I can understand the people taking their handbags,,,,,money passport etc it is about time that those that take those big wheely suitcases are met on arrival and arrested for disobeying Flight Crew Instructions by taking them.

SLF3
2nd Aug 2018, 12:56
None of you were there. If there is evidence of a fire I’d rather be outside and wrong than inside wishing I was outside.

dsc810
2nd Aug 2018, 13:59
In my view the only way to stop passenger from taking there carry on is to ban bringing anything larger than a Ladies purse into in the cabin. The only way this will happen is if the regulators around the world put regulation in place stopping the airlines from collection baggage fees.

I suggest you also ask the insurance companies as they regard any valuables stored in the hold as opposed to hand baggage as not insured.
Additionally there is at least one on line blog/comment where following an evac/accident a customer had his hand luggage left behind returned - minus the valuable electronic item inside it.
So as others have said before - passengers know all this and unless the a/c is actually disintegrating around them then they are going to collect their hand luggage: end of story.

meleagertoo
2nd Aug 2018, 14:06
Rather than limiting baggage size/numbers (isn't that bad enough as it is) the answer to the evac baggage problem is surely to make remote-locking baggage bins mandatory and in the meantime publicise and prosecute everyone identifiable who carries bags off in an evac.

infrequentflyer789
3rd Aug 2018, 21:41
I suggest you also ask the insurance companies as they regard any valuables stored in the hold as opposed to hand baggage as not insured.
Additionally there is at least one on line blog/comment where following an evac/accident a customer had his hand luggage left behind returned - minus the valuable electronic item inside it.

No just the insurance but also the airlines - if the airline accepts liability then fine, if the airline disclaims liability and insurance refuses to cover the risk, then not fine.

We have been there before with almost nothing allowed cabin baggage - in the early days following the liquid bomb plot in the UK. The result wasn't air travel becoming obviously safer, but it did become obviously more chaotic and unreliable and in some cases completely infeasible from a passenger point of view. Some classes of passengers (pro musicians, photographers, film crews) were effectively prevented from travelling by air altogether. Many pax lost valuables and got told they were liable for the loss due to following security instructions (and you're also liable for the loss of ticket if you don't follow security instructions...).

Aside from the where-are-lithium-batteries-safest debate, any ban on laptops etc. risks seriously damaging the premium business market (Trump's limited ban hit shares of affected operators hard). There may be a pay grade at which the loss from not being able to work on a flight would make bizjet charter a cost effective alternative - far above any hourly rate I've ever charged but I wouldn't bet on the number of people at that level being zero.

So as others have said before - passengers know all this and unless the a/c is actually disintegrating around them then they are going to collect their hand luggage: end of story.

Agreed, but with possible replacement of "unless" with "even if" :E

WingNut60
3rd Aug 2018, 22:45
I'd like to know where the picture being painted of the high flying businessman slaving away at his laptop while in flight actually comes from.
I won't say that I've never seen it; I have. But it's as rare as ostrich teeth.

There is no doubting that no one wants to pass care of their laptop to the guy who just broke the handle off my expensive, nearly-indestructible suitcase (yes, really; this morning).
But actually using one productively in flight? I don't think so.
After all, most of them can't use a laptop productively anywhere, let alone on an aeroplane.

That's what lesser minions are for.

mickjoebill
4th Aug 2018, 11:25
A fine of £1000 per bag or a lifetime ban should do the trick..

The lack of understanding of human behaviour in this thread is as unsurprising as the actions of passengers in the video.

What is the black object protruding from the slide, toward the top? The heel of a shoe that has punctured the slide?

baselb
4th Aug 2018, 12:03
Aren't you supposed to submerge the burning Lithium battery in a champagne bucket full of iced water..?
Nobody wants their holiday clothes ruined by lithium fumes.
Mate. I don't want my champagne ruined by lithium fumes :p

scotneil
4th Aug 2018, 12:06
I notice that the rear left slide seems to be deployed, but don't see anyone sliding down it. Also the age-old problem: you (and other passengers) may be in imminent danger of death - but don't forget your hand baggage !

homonculus
4th Aug 2018, 12:46
The reason some nationalities need their laptop is not to actually work but to be able to both for their own tax reasons and those of their employed. In addition many laptops have access to the commercial interests of the company which can be worth squillions. Even if password protected, many employers simply wont allow the laptop out of sight. If the laptop were taken and data hacked it could close the company. So it wont happen

2unlimited
4th Aug 2018, 21:35
The reason some nationalities need their laptop is not to actually work but to be able to both for their own tax reasons and those of their employed. In addition many laptops have access to the commercial interests of the company which can be worth squillions. Even if password protected, many employers simply wont allow the laptop out of sight. If the laptop were taken and data hacked it could close the company. So it wont happen

Yes, you are right, and that action to protect the laptop is more important than saving human life. It's hard to not disagree with you, not!
Don't forget your laptop / personal belongings, even if those actions will cost human life, protect, protect and protect!
How can someone not understand this?

(If it was me who came to save you, I would take that laptop and throw into the flames!)

WingNut60
4th Aug 2018, 23:22
Any company (worth squillions, no less) that is relying on the existence and security of a single laptop for its existence should be compelled to donate said squillions to the Wingnut P..ss Up campaign in recognition of their incompetence.

Machrihanish
4th Aug 2018, 23:41
Aren't you supposed to submerge the burning Lithium battery in a champagne bucket full of iced water..? ...

Will the CC afford one... And someone will have to pay for the water. Not so easy decisions to be taken...

So I'd opt for two at five, one burnt, still have one.