PDA

View Full Version : Moving a GE9X

RufusXS
12th Jul 2018, 18:15
Yes, the new GE9X for the 777x has a massive diameter, but I know it's been on wing on the GE flying testbed. Then I read this article (not allowed to post links yet):

Google search "ge9x volga dnepr" and select the Air Cargo World link that comes up.

From the article, moving the engine from California to Ohio took two years of planning and custom rig work.

Questions for those of you who are knowledgeable:

1) Why didn't they fly it there on the test bed 747? Surely they could've had a regular engine waiting to put back on wing, or even carried one in the 5th engine position?
2) Couldn't the send it by rail? If it's the diameter of a 737 fuselage then we know trains can already handle that (but maybe not on that route?)
3) Why wouldn't they ask Boeing to use the Dreamlifter (LCF)?

Sorry if these seem obvious, I'm just really curious.

Thanks.

Intruder
12th Jul 2018, 23:50
3) The Dreamlifter is only certified to carry 787 components on the main deck. There is no fire suppression in the cargo bays, so anything that even MIGHT be flammable would likely never get certified.

RufusXS
13th Jul 2018, 00:56
3) The Dreamlifter is only certified to carry 787 components on the main deck. There is no fire suppression in the cargo bays, so anything that even MIGHT be flammable would likely never get certified.

Thanks that’s helpful. I would think if they drained the fluids they might be able to get around that but maybe it’s not worth the certification hassle.

I’m still curious about the other options, especially if the process w Volga is a arduous as the article makes it sound.