PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Airlines

sky9
25th Jul 2002, 10:59
I am off on holiday to China in the near future.
What airlines should I chose to travel on internally?

VORTIME
25th Jul 2002, 21:24
might be safer to walk...

sky9
26th Jul 2002, 08:00
Thanks Vortime.:)

mustafagander
26th Jul 2002, 09:51
Sky9,
Check the statistics and you might be inclined to arrange your visit to avoid flying with any local carriers.

gofer
26th Jul 2002, 15:28
Avoid the ex: Russian model planes perhaps. Havn't looked lately at accidents per Pax takeoffs per airline or accidents per takeoff figures.

Given that the 2 most critical moments are from down here to the clouds and from the clouds back to terra firma those are probably the numbers that help inspire confidence.

Look at it another way - Chinese roads are more dangerous than those in the rest of the world so flying has to be safer. Now is flying safer than the trains - could be touch and go but how much time do you have to go from a to b anyway - China is a very big country.

My philosophy may not be right, but it sure worked for me so far.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your number is up - its up - if its not, you should be OK.:D :cool: :p

Piltdown Man
26th Jul 2002, 15:33
Go by rail, marginally safer than walking.:eek:

100BMEP
26th Jul 2002, 20:30
Good Rule of Thumb --
If they are not speaking english . . . get off

Meeb
27th Jul 2002, 11:00
China these days is full of Boeings and Airbus and every other type of modern regional equipment. Its a great country to explore, enjoy!

KIFIS
27th Jul 2002, 12:46
Sky 9:
During the previous two years I have travelled extensively throughout China on every major and minor Chinese airline and at all times I felt just as comfortable as when I was captain of my own B747 ( before retirement ) MEEB is right and the rest are way off. Enjoy China , you will love it.

KIFIS

stevieboy
27th Jul 2002, 13:43
Fly with Dragonair or Hainan Airlines!

sky9
27th Jul 2002, 15:51
Thanks for you constructive comments. I have put a requirement for western aircraft only on my booking form, which the travel company seems to be doing anyway.

GroupWatcher
28th Jul 2002, 15:50
Have been flying China Southern on AMS - PEK - CAN and onwards to HKG. Had an enjoyable flight. B777-200 for the long haul. B757, B737 and A320 for the short range.

Since you state U.k. as your home country I assume you may be flying from there. Air China is operating B747s ex LHR.

Cheers
GW

sky9
29th Jul 2002, 08:12
No
Lufthansa:)

Elliot Moose
30th Jul 2002, 03:06
I've seen pilots from several at work. China Yunnan is about as first class as they come over there. Some of the others.....welll.....:rolleyes:
When I go over, I'm trying to arrange a train to get me to a big city where I can jump on a western carrier;)

reynoldsno1
31st Jul 2002, 04:35
I think they will have improved over the past 10 years or so ... they may even give pax safety briefings now. One passenger who enquired about this some years ago was given a blank stare and told " we crash, you die".
You have to admire such wonderful pragmatism...

GearOff
1st Aug 2002, 16:08
I've flown on several internal airlines in China and never had a problem. In fact, I found them to be quite impressive. Certainly the horror stories you hear of non-compliance with Western safety standards from the passengers' perspective are a thing of the past.

Some safety issues I did identify, in no particular order:

- While jumpseating on a Dragonair (absolutely first-rate airline) A330 from Beijing to Hong Kong, it surprised me that the radio comms were performed in both Chinese and English concurrently depending on where the airline orginated from. Local airlines used Chinese and International airlines (including Dragonair) used English. This would surely have some situational awareness effects.

- At Hangzhou, before boarding a China Xinjiang Airlines 757 to Xian, my tour guide grabbed my bags and some money to buy the baggage handler a packet of cigarettes in order to avoid paying overweight baggage fees. The bags went through a side exit and straight on to the trolley. They had been x-rayed already but certainly not weighed, and this appears to be a fairly common practice.

- Some of the Soviet and local aeroplane types I saw parked are downright scary. Avoid them.

- Crews will not necessarily give safety briefings in English. That's not unreasonable, but if you're not a regular flyer, work out how to make a hasty exit yourself.

Having said that, I could produce a much longer list of the things that impressed me. In addition, they'll go out of their way to help you.

On the China Xinjiang Airlines flight, once we were in the cruise, one of the flight attendants came over and motioned for me to follow them up the aisle. Not speaking Chinese and having just bribed a baggage handler I wasn't quite sure what to expect and I was relieved when she offered me a business class seat to allow me to stretch my legs for the remainder of the journey!

Have fun, it's a brilliant country.

sky9
2nd Aug 2002, 19:59
Thank you all very much, I am looking forward to it, great to hear that it has improved.